• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Tom had tuned out Hallie just enough that it wouldn't hurt her feelings. Still, he had to keep his focus on the last of the work to be done. There were still loose ends to be cauterized, t’s to be crossed. The others started trickling in, quiet with early morning fatigue or possibly nerves, considering what laid just outside the gates. For Tom personally, it was just setting in that they weren’t going out for a half-day retcon or an exploration hike, but to live within the chaos for the long term.

"So Tom, I found this book a few weeks ago about the Russian revolution," Hal spoke fast as she recounted the details from the book, "...it was pretty interesting. Did you know about the Romanovs? Did you know they sewed diamonds into their underclothes? They survived three waves of bullets doing that." She said, taking a moment to catch her breath. "It helped them survive three waves of bullets. It's sad they didn't make it though. Did you like history, Tom?"

“Hold that thought, okay–” Tom replied, with a convivial pat on her shoulder. He used the break in her rambling to take his leave, making his way back to the stables. Luckily, as if summoned, Lars arrived from the dark of the morning to overtake the task of listening to Hallie’s history lesson.

The dark of the morning made the quietly convening group of individuals like shadows, their breaths releasing as frozen clouds before them. An assembly of ghosts – as they would be soon enough – lost to the wind. With the simple greeting of sunrise, their footprints would soon cease to exist entirely on any semblance of Mall record. It would come quietly at first - a missing punch card at a work shift, an empty chair at breakfast in the mess hall - until, slowly, the absence became palpable enough to search for the missing persons. Finally, with the checking of quarters and safe spaces, those staying behind would come to find a various spread of notes saying goodbyes, leaving instructions, and allocating possessions left behind.

Tom’s note was brief, a yellow legal note penciled in with a last-minute scrawl. It was to Mark Flowers and only held a few simple lines explaining his absence. It wasn’t filled to the margins with sentimental anecdotes or tear-stained, heartbroken farewells. No, anyone he would’ve left something like that for had been gone long before. Unlike some of the others, he made no mentions of returning, no hope of being seen again. He knew better than to make empty promises. The best he could hope for now was that the brothers would raise up more generations of people to learn the trade. His legacy would continue in his work, humble and nameless. The last few words, separated from the rest by an empty line and an indentation, were unremarkable. Take care of your brother.

Tom had speared the note on an old nail secured to a post just inside the stable. He took one more look around to make sure nothing important was left behind, then closed the heavy doors behind him, locking them securely and leaving the keys.

When Tom turned from the doors, he caught a belated look at Sybille nearly keeling over. The last few notes of retching echoed in the morning quiet. After a pause, Tom checked a few last knots on the pack horses’ supply, trying to keep at his tasks instead of ogling. He still caught from a side glance or two the frantic whispers between her and Charlie. Something’d gone wrong. While they were caught up in their discourse, Tom nudged at Lars and Hallie in front of him, gesturing back to two of the horses in the corner - one Lars had used a few times and one that would suit Hallie well enough.

He then made his way past the rest of the loitering group, quietly letting others know to go find a ride that suited them, before standing in front of the pair. He crossed his arms over his chest, a concerned look and furrowed brow taking over as he sized Sybille up. There was something on her hand, dark and viscous; it was unclear exactly what it was in the dark, shining black like motor oil. He’d had an idea of what it was, judging by the way it had splattered up her forearm. He looked from Sybille to Charlie and back again, clearing his throat, deciding whether to press or not. If Sybille wanted to disclose what had her so panicked, she’d do so in her own right. He looked back to her and threw his thumb over his shoulder. “We’re good to go, ma'am. Rogue’s all yours.” Sybille’s favorite companion, one she asked for every time in the past several years since the mare’s arrival.

Once alone with Charlie, he uncrossed his arms and put them in his pockets. His voice remained low. “Everything okay?”

Charlie watched Sybille leave for a moment, speaking before looking to Thomas.

“The plan hasn’t changed.” He hoisted his utility bag over aching shoulder with a huff, searching for a place to stow it. “How do I, uh,” Charlie gestured to the remaining horses. Never in thirteen years had he ventured outside the gates, much less anywhere that required transportation, and found himself sorely underprepared for the task at hand.

Hallie’d called out to Tom, interrupting Charlie’s unsure approach, waving at him from atop her horse, her outline visible in the faded moonlight. He gave her a wave, feigning a tired smile, not wanting his face to show easily enough to the others what he’d already started to ascertain himself - that something, at some point in the early morning, had already gone astray.

“Just follow the kid’s lead.” Tom encouraged Charlie. “Foot in and swing over. Like riding a bike. The less you think about it the better.” He left Charlie to it, knowing the man had enough common sense to figure things out, looking out on the rest of the group in the dark.

Joseph, who’d been pretty bold to show his mug this morning considering their last conversation, had decided to pick his own - a black stallion with dark eyes, who if Tom were being honest, barely skimmed past the clearance to come along. He had shown more than once a tempestuous nature and tendency towards easy irritation. Things had a way of working themselves out. As for the threats he’d made, it wasn’t the time or place or circumstances to rehash the scene in front of the others. Things were off to a rocky enough start without that. But Tom did let out a quiet satisfied breath at the brace on Joseph’s hand. Hopefully it’d remind the sycophant to stay in his lane. Instead, Tom went back to eyeing Sybille, making an easy mount on her horse, his shoulders unknotting to see she wasn’t as panicked as she’d been at the start of the morning. Maybe, he thought as he clenched his jaw, it really was nothing.

His next focus was on one of the last ones still lingering at ground level. He took one of the last horses from her post, guiding her gently by the reins over to the woman. She, like many others here, was one Tom knew by name and face only. To him, Noelle was barely more than a momentary acquaintance formed over the occasional passing “hello” or “good morning”. Noelle had one of those faces that warmed the heart, and seemed of an age similar enough to his own - enough to make them kindred spirits in a time when a good thirty years were cut off the average life expectancy.

“Morning, Noelle,” he greeted her as a friend. “Brought you this lady. She’s a smooth ride. Shouldn’t cause you any trouble.” He have her a grin, holding out his hand to take her bag from her. Noelle turned at the greeting, being brought back from the hundredth memory of a story that was now only in the past. She’d spent most of the morning scouring her office, making sure every little note for her nurses were where she’d left them. Whether it was simply from age or the images of her wife and daughter going through her mind she wasn’t sure, but suddenly Noelle couldn’t remember if everything had been in place. If they were or not it was much too late to check, but Tom’s voice was something of a relief to her. At least it kept her mind off of thoughts that came in the silence.

“Why Thomas, it’s good to see you honey.” As he approached her with the mare, she gave him a gentle pat on the back. “I appreciate what you’re doin’ for us. Most of ‘em wouldn’t last five minutes without some sorta transportation.” Her dark eyes traveled around the others, and she gave a soft smile. Tom wasn’t stupid, and she was sure he knew her pointed comment was truthfully about her. That’s what she liked about smart people- you could tell them anything without really telling them.

“Hi there sweet girl.” Turning her attention back to the horse, she cooed softly at her and let the mare sniff at the palms of her hands. “Haven’t ridden since I was just a girl. It’ll be good on me to get back into it I suppose.” Accepting Tom’s offer to take her bag, she placed a foot in the strap, letting her good leg take her up and over the horse. Moving the stiff limb over proved more of a challenge, and she groaned as she settled into the saddle.

“I’ll be in the back of the line, watching these two,” he nodded over at the packhorses. Like a fullback in football, he’d be lingering behind the others, waiting to pick up someone’s slack. It was a position that both made him feel in control while knowingly making him one of the most vulnerable. Where he could see everyone in full, any dangers lurking in the periphery, but with no one to check behind him. It was a place he’d rather put himself in than burden anyone else with it. “Just call out if you need me, alright?”

“Now don’t let me hold you up with all this nonsense,” Noelle gestured dismissively at her bad leg, “I got some fight left in me still. You’re a good man Tom.” Bending down to claim her bag, she settled it in front of her until it sat securely between her legs and the horse’s neck. “Hope Charlie’s got enough sense to keep that old horse steady. I’d keep an eye on him if I were you.” Her tone was light, a small giggle breaking her words up. She felt like a kid again.

He’s smart, he’ll get it figured out,” Tom softened at Noelle’s laugh. He didn’t want to admit how much anxiety he’d given in the past few days to the idea of someone getting bucked or otherwise just falling off. It was kind of funny in the best of circumstances. It was fatal in others, depending how hard someone hit their head or how close they were to a horse’s trampling hooves. If he were being honest, half those worries were about the woman he spoke to now. The chances of keeping on a spooked horse with only one good knee were scarce. In general, the idea of putting a whole group of people out there, half of them completely inexperienced, with barricaded streets and infected threatening to scare the horses was enough to keep him up for a few nights.

“And Thomas, love, if you need anything do let me know. I’ve got more ‘n enough supplies in here to treat a ward, and more ‘n enough time to listen to a hundred cryin’ kids, if you know what I mean.” It hadn’t slipped by her that something was troubling the man. Though he’d been smiling, the worry lines in his aged face were apparent. “I trust you know I’ve got your back hon.”

“I appreciate that,” Tom bent down to take the horse’s reins that hed dropped in front, looping them over the gentle creature’s head and handing them to Noelle. He patted her good knee and gave her a reassuring nod.

Once the others were clearing out, gaining confidence with every tug of their reins, Tom jumped on his own companion. Silas, a massive bay stallion, was notorious for being unpredictable, something that Tom would’ve immediately docked him for if considering him for anyone else. Like Tom, Silas was older, and he had his quirks. But over the past ten years, the two had gotten to know one another. Now it was like riding Silas was as easy as if Tom were guiding his own legs to move. Once past the quirks, Silas was a good horse to ride - capable in any weather, fast and lithe, and could carry serious weight. Tom whistled at the packhorses to follow, and was soon taking his last glimpse behind him. One last look.

The sun rose gradually over a world Tom hadn’t seen in fifteen years. It was quieter than he’d expected and greener. He guessed that made sense, didn’t it? Less people to keep nature at bay, to bend it to their wills, to slowly choke the life out of her. But it was everywhere. Sorrels and irises pushed out of every crack in broken cement. A black-throated warbler sang at the roadside, having journeyed much farther west that Tom's old Native Birds of North America had purported. Vines of invasive kudzu rose thick as moss up building facings and billboard trunks. The signage stood as testimony to an extinct way of life.
JOURNEY - One night only LIVE! at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - April 17th - 9pm

Zero Down on a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Stewart Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram

Today’s MegaMillions Jackpot Total: $310,000,000 - Next Drawing: Tomorrow, 03/11/2021! - Let’s Play, California!

Tom stayed on edge, never truly resting in the first hours of the group’s journey. He hadn’t commented when Sybille changed their trajectory to the South Gate, adding a whole section of city to their day’s route. More time surrounded by tall buildings and narrow streets would leave all of them more susceptible to an ambush they couldn’t get out of. With the groan of rusting scaffolding overhead or the rush of wind over a bristling crop of tall grass, Tom’s hand constantly twitched towards the hatchet strapped to his thigh. He’d talked himself out of thinking about the Kahr, knowing damn well that being trigger-happy now would only result in a swarm of whatever unsentient remains of people lurked past what he could readily see.

Finally, Sybille stopped ahead, breaking him out of his silent, paranoid fever. As the others offered their thoughts, Tom glanced around at the group, quietly assessing how the others were holding up. Their thighs would be burning by sundown, that was for sure. Joseph chimed in, talking at him from ahead. Tom looked back at him, wanting to glare, but fully aware that the weasel had intentionally directed all eyes to him. He relaxed his posture, not sure he had enough composure to reply to Joseph directly. Instead he nodded and commented his assessment: “We should keep moving. We’ll want to be out of the city by sundown, try to avoid any … company.” Aside from the occasional straggler he’d seen several yards out from the fence over the past decade and a half, Tom hadn’t truly come face to face with infected in a long time. He wasn’t particularly looking forward to the reintroduction. The least they could do was take steps to avoid having to do so in the dark.

Last edited:
Liberty Jane fancied herself an observer, these days. Less reactive than she may’ve been in her last life - a quality that still seemed fair-weather to her over the years, but had returned by way of careful meditation. A calculated practice in being present. Since her time in the wasteland, she often felt like the need to stay ever-controlled and in the moment in order to keep her thoughts from shuffling themselves up or floating away from her completely. It was a strange, scary feeling; to have this fuzziness looming over her head like a dark, saturated cloud. A perpetual, buzzing premonition that kept her awake at night and only truly let up as her mind began to drift off once more.

Reactive or not, she’d always been cool under pressure. Being hard to rattle made her a better friend, a better student, and eventually, a better soldier. The pressure gave her a strange sense of calm; a clarity that she could only seem to liken to engaging the spraying mechanism on windshield wipers, as they squeaked away the wintry residue of road salt.

An analogy that was quickly fading from the collective consciousness; how ironic.

There was an anticipated buzz in the air as she approached the barn. She’d watched figures drawing near in the dim light, timing her footsteps to mingle somewhere in the middle of the pack. Arriving only with the clothes on her back, a knife strapped to her leg with shoelaces, and two sets of dog-tags adorning her neck. With a pleasant, widely unnoticed smile, she passed Charlie and Sybille as they broke off into an aside, paying little heed to terse whispers as she sized up the final band of their grand journey. Sybille’s final words made for the perfect opportunity; the crowd gathered around, all anxious tension and unanswered questions.

Some expressions betrayed less than others. She took stock of the electricity in the air - the quiet undertow of determination blanketed by uncertainty and anticipation. The moment Sybille concluded, a thought crossed her mind; manufactured by RSA training, but distasteful to her all the same: There were entirely too many cooks in this kitchen.

She scanned the others casually as they broke apart, only stopping for a moment to cast a polite, sunny smile to Joseph as their eyes met briefly.

~

Liberty had accepted a horse, but hesitated in finding her way onto the saddle. Petting the beast’s neck softly, she smiled at the animal, cooing to it under her breath as the others settled in for departure.

“You are an invaluable tool and member of this company, but I don’t think we know each other well enough for either of us to have any control in our movements, and that’s a problem,” She chirped, raking her fingers through it’s mane admiringly. “I also think that you’re stinky, your knees make me uncomfortable, and you’re fixin' to slow me down. –So you’re on thin ice, okay?”

~

As they crossed through the gates, Liberty and her horse, whose introduction she had not fully caught, broke off to retrieve her cache of supplies and spare clothing. They met back up with the others down the road, in a light trot that felt like a win to the woman, but still nowhere near agreeable. Liberty had strapped the pack of dried meat securely to her back, and the pack of her own effects to the back of the saddle; priorities laid begrudgingly after transferring her last freeze dried ice cream to the meat sack on her back.

“We’re out. How’s everyone holding up with these first couple of miles?”

“We’re finer than frog hair, back here,” Liberty piped up among the others, giving the horse an ill-received pat on the head.Spirit and I are makin' friendship bracelets.”

Sybille stepped away from Hallie and smiled at Joseph. "I'm sure we'll be thankful for this weather once the summer rolls around." She leaned over to scratch Santa behind his ears. "And you're right, Tom has been invaluable." She turned her focus toward the older man. "Thank you as always, Tom."

With the awkward acknowledgement - and thankful shift away from her panicked arrival - out of the way, Sybille stood up from Santa and moved over to Lars. He was the person within the group that she knew the least about. He was almost incessantly protective of Hallie, which Sybille understood, but part of her feared that he'd hesitate to protect any of the rest of them. "Please keep an eye upward as we move toward the highway. We don't know what kinds of people have lookouts in the ruins looking down at us." Maybe placing trust in him could help foster mutual understanding. Or not. He was a strange man that Sybille could never read through the gas mask.

Best not spook the dude.

She moved back toward Rogue, her horse, and gave a final glance to the group. All seemed in order. She swung herself up and shivered. "Maybe you're right, Joseph," she started, "it is a bit too cold."

She pulled her leather jacket tighter.

With that, Sybille set off and led the group further south through the ruined streets of San Francisco. The sun hadn't yet reached its peak by the time the group ascended up the ramp onto I-280. The highway wasn't particularly high up, but it did afford the group a decent enough overlook of the immediately surrounding city. There were fewer cars than she'd expected. One would think there'd have been a mad dash to escape, but the cars left looked like normal traffic.

Or, at least what Sybille could remember normal traffic was like. It'd been in a while.

Still, it was hard not to get lost in the view. Buildings taller than anyone in this world could dream of making again were covered in vines and freshly budding flowers. Even with the chill, the April blooms had pushed through. Greenery overtook glass and steel, firmly asserting itself. It wasn't just still around, it was thriving. When so much had died, life itself was insisting upon it--

"..uaoahahhuaa"

"Hold on," Sybille said, quickly stopping her horse. She reached into her saddlebags for binoculars. God damn it. She was so spaced out she'd nearly missed the groaning.

"..uaoahahhuaa"

Five ghouls were stumbling slowly from behind a few trucks about a hundred meters away. The trucks were parked perpendicular to the rest of the highway, creating an unnatural funnel along the road.

With the way the ghouls were creaking, it looked like the calcification had been in play for a while. Someone set this trap, but whoever it'd been meant for hadn't walked through it.

"Infected!" Sybille announced, raising her shotgun. "Five ghouls, all advanced and creaking with each step."

“Say less.” It had been a long few hours full of whispering and oddly tense conversation, and frankly, Hazel was ready for some action.

She snapped the reins of her horse and advanced, already tuning out any potential protest from Sybille or Charlie. Hopefully the others were smart enough to realize that gun fire would do nothing but draw unwanted attention.

As she closed the distance, Hazel dismounted from her horse at a jog and released Stella from her pack in one smooth motion.

She set her sights on the nearest ghoul. It’s showtime, bitch.

In times like these, Hazel let herself think about her brother, Brock. Not in words – never in words – but she would let herself conjure his image: his stupid face, the stupid fear in his stupid eyes when he fucked up, the stupid hunger in his expression when he turned, all the stupid blood on her stupid clothes when she shot him...

All of her pent up rage flowed like an electric current from her chest, through her arms, and finally into Stella as she took two bounding steps and swung for the fucker’s head with her whole body weight. The crunch was as satisfying as it always was.

Not so difficult, is it Brock? If you had just fucking dealt with that ghoul instead of toying with it, maybe –

Fuck. She shook the thought away, stepping back from the crumpled corpse at her feet. This was the danger with her little secret weapon, she could too easily get distracted by it.

The next advancing ghoul was still a few steps away, so Hazel took a second to turn back towards the group, raising her pointer finger in the air.

“FIRST KILL, BITCHES!!”

After parting ways with Sybille, Hallie settled into a comfortable silence. She had never been this far out of the mall, not since she and Owen had first moved here. The ruins of San Francisco were beautiful, it was hard to believe people were capable of building such things. Hal had vague memories of her home in St. Helens. It had been a small town, the buildings were nothing compared to what she was looking at right now. Nature had taken its course over the years, the vines crept up around the skyscrapers, seemingly giving the structures an unwelcomed hug.

The peaceful ride was cut short by the sounds of infected that were now shambling towards them. The hairs on the back of her neck stood up as she watched the ghouls. It never got easy seeing the infected, or at least for her it didn't. There were countless days Hal almost forgot such things existed, it was still weird that they lived in a world like this. Perhaps in another timeline, she was still with her dad in St. Helens, living a perfectly normal, infected-free life.

For the now, however, this was her normal and she needed to treat it as such.

"Heck!" Hallie swung her backpack from behind, nearly falling off her horse as she rummaged for her gun. Only when she found it did she slip off Spirit. Hallie could almost hear Owen's voice as she closed the distance between herself and one of the ghouls. She squared her shoulders back as she took in a deep breath to better steady her shaking hands. Hal passed Hazel, who had already made the first kill of the group, towards the next advancing ghoul. Sure, she could have shot it from a safer distance- as she was sure Lars would scold her for later. But Hal didn't trust her tired state to be able to aim properly.

Hallie stopped just a few feet in front of the ghoul. There was something unnerving about seeing infected up close- not that she went out of her way to get close and personal with all of them. The ghoul before her was tall and lanky, with flesh-colored tissue calcifying on the outside, a telltale sign of how long they had been here.

"Sorry..." Hallie raised her gun up, resisting the urge to look away as she pulled the trigger. The ghouls corpse hit the ground with a thud. Hal turned back towards the group, "It's someone elses turn. I've done my part." She held her hands up in defense as she made her way back to her horse.

Hallie fired her gun too fast for Sybille to protest. By the time the ringing had stopped, and the sounds of panicked birds had faded, the woman was already standing above the dead ghoul. "Hallie--" Sybille called out as Hal turned her back to the truck-funnel and started walking back toward her horse.

On cue, attracted by the loud ringing of gunfire, almost a dozen more ghouls stumbled out from behind the trucks. "More infected!" Sybille shouted, steeling herself and getting ready to cover Hallie and Hazel with gunfire as a group of now-almost 15 infected were stumbling toward them.

Hazel instinctively ducked at the sound of the shot ringing out from Hallie’s gun.

“Holy shit are you joking?”

The girl had clearly never been outside the walls a day in her life, Hazel realized as Hallie backed away from the still advancing infected. What the fuck was Sybille thinking?

She had no time to worry about that now. If they were lucky, nothing would come of this. If they were unlucky, well…

"More infected!" Sybille shouted.

Knots turned in Hazel’s stomach as an old memory fought its way to the surface. Scared, alone for the first time, surrounded — she shook her head and pushed it back down again, gulping hard as if she could simply swallow the thing and be done with it.

There was no time. No matter how slow and stiff their movements, one wrong move around this many ghouls was a death sentence.

She took off in a sprint and threw herself at the next nearest infected, at the last moment kicking herself off the ground and bringing Stella down on its skull with a satisfying crack. She took a breath, assessing the next nearest threat. It was important to be quick but precise, especially with a horde this size, or else she would risk hitting at a bad spot and getting Stella’s spurs caught in the ghoul’s hardened flesh.

The city road grew dark once abutted by tall buildings on each side, the midday sun barely shining through the glass windows of their upper floors. A bright yellow electrical cord that had fallen across the road, its source long dead, frightening one of the pack horses into slowing to a stop. Probably thinks it’s a snake, Tom sighed, familiar with the strange innate way the equines came to think. Tom turned Silas to face the way they’d come from and clicked his tongue against the back of his teeth, followed by a whistle for the drifting pack horse to come along, which she did reluctantly.

By the time he turned forward again, Tom caught the tail end of the events that had elapsed, his eyes locking on a gun held arms length out from Hallie. Tom could only call out, his voice lapping over their leader’s: “Hey! Hallie - Stop-”

But it was too late. The deafening shot echoed around the facings of the buildings like a pinball, the sound startling the tempestuous Silas to buck suddenly onto his rear legs. Tom grabbed the pommel with the reflexes allowed only to someone who’d been on horses for as many decades as he’d been, and managed to keep on his companion until he could command the stallion to heel. When the horse was back on four legs, Tom saw the aftermath of the shot was, as he’d feared, the flooding in of more numbers of infected - at least threefold - through the bottleneck.

Tom
cursed under his breath, Christ—,” and snapping the reins, commanded Silas to go forward with a short burst of speed. Silas again proved that, while unreliable in his reactions, he was at least fast.

Passing the others who’d kept their positions, the old rancher glanced briefly between the two girls on the front lines. He then veered leftwards towards Hal, his quick glance over at Hazel poised with her bastardized bat and a ferocious look on her face, displaying easily that Sybille’s protégée was more than capable of handling herself.

Tom instead pulled up close behind Hallie, just in time for a ghoul to descend on her, the final lurch of the inhuman creature especially quick. Tom’s twitching hand finally unbuttoned the leather sheath holding his hatchet and, in a swift movement, lodged its blade in the attackers head. He followed this in quick succession with his boot, angled at the same height as the ghoul’s head from atop Silas, pushing it off of his hatchet and into the next offender coming up behind.

Tom grabbed Hallie roughly by the arm and pulled her up behind him onto Silas, too urgent to worry about being gentle.

He then pulled Silas back, keeping the stallion under his control as he got him to fall back with the others, wiping the fragments of calcified and gray brain matter from his hatchet on the thigh of his jeans.

“What the hell were
you thinking, huh?” Tom chastised. “Shooting off a gun in the middle of the city. Don’t you know how many infected are waiting to come running at sounds like that?!”

He
looked back at her over his shoulder, exasperated until taking a breath. “Are you hurt? Did it get you?”

Lars was quick to halt his horse and bring strict attention to his rifle resting in his hands, barrel pointed to the pavement before him. Sybille was wise in alerting the whole crew with a quick chirp of information. He quickly counted off the threats ahead, bottlenecked at the two trucks, and noted their speed. When he assured they wouldn't be within striking distance for a bit, the marksman craned his neck to check their surroundings. Lars would not be the victim of sensationalized threats while a lucky ghoul bit into his shoulder from behind. Far too many had died simply by focusing on the sole problem. Awareness was key.

And then someone shot a gun. He'd already secured the perimeter when his attention snapped back to the front. Who the hell had opened fire? What kind of untrained, undisciplined young trainee-

Hallie's smoking barrel confirmed that Lars must not have been a very good teacher. Ah, yes, his untrained, undisciplined young trainee. The hunter gave no thought to her choice; any kind of introspection was best left as a hindsight-only thing. The decision was made and they would survive however they could. He could hash out any kind of long winded speech when everyone was safe.

Lars dismounted his horse in a fluid motion with minimal downtime. His rifle was up the moment both of his feet hit the ground. He advanced on the position of Hallie, Batgirl and the ghouls with intent to fire should any of the crew get immediately threatened. However, he would not exacerbate the problem by firing unless absolutely necessary. When the Ashen was close, Tom barreling in ahead of him on horseback, Lars slung the rifle over his shoulder and simultaneously drew his sidearm in his right hand, and his knife in the other. His breathing was practiced, almost soothing, the sound reverberating within the mask he wore.

By the time Lars had reached the front line, double digit ghouls had funneled into their stretch of the highway. Much harder to deal with than a measly five, but at least there was little chance of straggling ghouls to hide amongst the wrecked cars for when the group passed. As Tom secured the girl and Harley Quinn remained close at hand, Lars moved to intercept those that had gotten dangerously close to Hal. With a fluid motion, Lars lifted one knee to his chest and let his leg explode outward, delivering a powerful kick to the chest of one ghoul. It was sent back, causing two more behind it to stumble. With the next closest, Thompson readied a reverse-grip thrust of his knife to the neck of the ghoul, withdrawing it from flesh just as quick as it had pierced.

Lars then stepped back, gun raised in the event any other ghouls had gotten close without his knowledge. Tom had receded back to safety with Hal while Lars and Hazel held the front. The horde was advancing, and while Lars was capable, he hoped others would join soon or the two vanguards would quickly be swarmed.

Without taking his eyes off the mass of shuffling bodies in front of him, Lars spoke out, muffled by his mask but still intelligible. "You good?" He asked almost as a formality to Hazel. Someone can get bit in an instant, and who knows, maybe the batter wasn't accustomed to crowd control such as this.

Hazel looked up from her second smashed skull of the day, wiping a speck of blood from her forehead.
"Fucking peachy" she replied.

Lars didn't give a further response other than a barely perceptible nod, and simply prepared for the next round of ghouls to come towards him. Hazel and himself would do what they could for the time being, however long for reinforcements to arrive. The Ashen stepped back methodically as the horde moved in, waiting to see a good time to strike. When an opening was available, Lars surged forward and capitalized on whatever chance he was given.

Zana heard the first groan of the infected only moments before Sybille could shout out a warning. Instantly, she was on alert, clumsily pulling her horse to a stop. She looked not forward at the gathering hoard but around them, looking for stragglers who might be coming in from the sides or back – she would just have to chose to trust that those on point could handle themselves for the moment. She stood up in her stirrups and fumbled for her knife with one hand and her ski goggles with another, surveying their surroundings as quickly and as accurately as she could. Her heart was already hammering erratically in her ears, the suddenness of the violence washing over her.

Twisting where she stood in the stirrups, Zana looked to the front as a burst of noise erupted. Shouting, she's sure, but quickly followed by a sharp and echoing cacophony that made both Zana and Mikoláš twitch in fright. Unfortunately, a horse being startled could cause a lot more damage than one woman. He reared up with a horrible screech and Zana instantly began to topple. There was no time to realise she wasn't holding on at all, or that her boots were precariously tangled in the stirrups, or really anything else. She slid at a horrible angle straight from the saddle. One foot ripped free, but the other only twisted and slipped until the stirrup was around her calf and – oh, the sky? The back of her head hit the ground in a curiously numb sort of way, her vision sparkling like fireworks. She felt warm all over and it was almost peaceful. For less than a second. Then the pain burst from the back of her head and neck in a hot roar of momentary agony. Then it was her ankle as Mikoláš lurched forward, dragging her a few feet. Luckily her dead weight dragged him down and he reared again, tossing his head, bucking as he tried to flee.

"It's – okay... – horsey, calm – dumb beast!" she gasped for words and breath, pulling on her ankle as each of the horse's movements made fresh, sharp pain splinter her skull. After a particularly vicious buck, her foot came free of her boot and all was still for a moment. Mikoláš screamed and shook his head, turning in tight, anxious circles. Zana was dimly thankful he hadn't bolted with all her things, trampling her on his way. Malé ryby taky ryby. His eyes were white with fear, but Zana felt like she couldn't blame him for that. What absolute liability had shot a gun in the middle of the city?

Zana licked her lips and tasted iron – luckily, it was only the inside of her cheek and not a chunk of her tongue she'd bitten off. She closed her eyes, feeling dizzy despite laying down. With a shaky hand, she blindly groped at her face, the top of her head. It was warm and wet but she didn't dare look. How embarrassing, she thought. To die from falling off a horse.

Malé ryby taky ryby.
Translation: Even a small fish is a fish
Usage: Appreciate the small victories in life

"Jesus Christ!"

So much was happening. The horde was advancing, Hazel and Lars were the only ones effectively killing them, Zana just fell off her horse, Hallie was--

"Zana!" Shit. Sybille hopped down from her horse and ran to the collapsed woman. She was bleeding from her mouth but she was still moving. Well, writhing seemed more apt. "Are you okay?" she asked, not exactly expecting an answer. Shit. "Uh, hold tight."

With that, Sybille raised her shotgun and knelt in a defensive position in front of Zana - placing herself between the injured woman and the horde. "Charlie!" she called out without taking her eyes off the advancing infected, "Could you please pull Zana back a bit and make sure she doesn't die?"

Despite the small horde of infected shambling toward his group, Joseph spared a glance over his shoulder, his ears still ringing from the sound of Hallie's gunshot. His knuckles were white as his hands gripped the reins; it'd taken all of his strength to pull his clearly-possessed steed from sprinting down the street and trampling half the group. Now he was sure Tom had given him a busted horse on purpose. How quickly, he wondered, could it get him back to the Mall at a gallop? Yeah, those guys were crazy, he could tell the Elders. The kids, especially. They forced me at gunpoint to come with them and then got eaten the first chance they got. Anyway, how was your day? Can I have my job back?

Joe grunted and swung his leg over the horse's back before sliding off, nearly knocked to the ground by the beast's haste to back away from the source of the gunshot. He couldn’t remain at the back, of course. There wasn't any point in simmering with regrets now. What kind of man would he be, if he turned tail at the first hiccup — or, more importantly, what kind of man would he appear to be? No, this turn of events, as frustrating as it was, was nothing more than an opportunity for Joe to prove his worth — and gauge the others'.

He moved slowly at first, removing his ax from its strap and taking off its leather cap. The polished steel blade glimmered proudly in the sunlight, the edge nearly pristine from disuse. Joe placed his right hand just under the ax head, gripping the knob with his left. It felt good to hold the tool-turned-weapon, to feel his quickening heartbeat drum in his fingers against the handle’s solid wood surface.

Joseph moved forward, Tom rushing past him on his horse, Hallie mounted behind him. Ahead, Lars — who, for reasons Joseph was never able to determine, was still wearing a gas mask — fought alongside Hazel. It would be good for Joe to appear among them, show that he was willing to put himself on the front lines. Especially now that there were other people there who could take some of the heat.

Did other people, Joseph wondered as he strode to Hazel’s left side, spend as much time thinking about how they were perceived as he did? He wasn’t sure which answer would be more comforting.

“Howdy, folks,” he shouted to Lars and Hazel with a grin, but keeping his eyes ahead at a handful of ghouls that had turned to meet him. “What do ya say? Whoever gets the most kills gets to pick what song to whistle for the next fifty miles?”

There wasn’t time to check if the other two members laughed at Joe’s little joke (surely they at least chuckled — he’d been sitting on that one for like two weeks now). One of the infected lunged at him suddenly, withered arm outstretched toward him. Joseph was ready for it. He swung his ax at the monstrosity’s neck — but immediately realized he’d misjudged the thing’s speed, striking it in the ribcage instead and knocking it to the ground.

Joe heard a sound like sticks snapping, but the ghoul’s carapace-like armor seemed to absorb some of the hit, and it began to scramble back to its feet. With a yell, Joe brought his boot down onto — then, with two more stomps, into — the infected’s skull, crushing it like an eggshell.

A strange urge to vomit suddenly seized him as the body crumbled to the ground, oozing some kind of sickly pus. Or was that just his imagination? Joseph forced the sensation down, lifting his weapon just in time to drive it into the skull of a charging ghoul. It fell like a stack of bricks, but there were more — several more — still approaching.

Hallie’s face had dropped upon seeing the way the rest of the group looked at her. She’d made a giant mistake and a “sorry” was definitely not gonna cut it. She didn’t know what would happen- honest. It hadn't occurred to Hal that more infected could be around the corner. She had just wanted to prove herself useful. What would her dad say if he could see her right now?

The next several seconds went by in a blur. Hal didn’t even register Tom riding up to her until she was being lifted up onto his horse.

“I didn’t know…” Her voice shook as tears brimmed the corners of her eyes. She had no reason to cry right now, it was her fault they were now in this mess. “...I didn’t know.” She repeated, unsure of what else she could say. Hallie pressed her forehead against Tom's back in a weak attempt to hide the tears. “...no…” her voice was muffled, “I kinda wish it got me.”

“We’re all still here,” Tom placated, bringing Silas to a stop in the back of the group, and quickly dismounted. He looked up to Hallie, her expression miserable. A quick glance behind him showed the numbers were still filtering in through the barricade. He had to help the others hold them off. He pulled his own handgun from the left saddlebag, and gave Hallie a stern look, one that was not entirely void of sympathy. “Look at me, Hal - don’t we’re all still here. Don’t lose your footing now.”

He handed her his hatchet to defend herself with, not wanting to leave her unarmed with anything besides the gun that’d caused all this grief. “Stay back here with Noelle. And /that/ -“ he nodded at the gun she still held in her hand. “Put it away, understand me?”

Tom
gave her a reassuring look before falling back on foot towards those on the front line. As he trotted over, he pulled out his old switchblade from his pocket, unfolding it and praying wordlessly that it would hold him over without having to use the pistol.

“On your left —“ Tom called out to his old friend, Joseph, who was too preoccupied with stomping the head of an infected to see the next one coming up in his periphery. Tom interceded half a step from Joseph’s side, lodging the blade to the hilt in the ghoul’s eye. Retracting it, the creature fell motionless in a crumple in front of them. Tom’s heart pounded in his ears, though he acted surprisingly calm through the surge of adrenaline. He hadn’t been around anything more violent than slaughtering livestock for decades and, honestly, he hadn’t missed it.

Hallie accepted the hatchet wordlessly. She looked around her as the others, Tom included, picked off the infected one by one. Per Tom's request, Hal placed her gun back inside her bag before sliding off Silas. She swung the hatchet around, trying to get a feel of the weight. It was heavier than she had anticipated, but nothing she couldn’t get used to. With one final sweep of the area, Hallie made her way back to the front lines.

“I can still fight ya know.” Hallie followed Tom’s lead, swinging at the head of an approaching ghoul. The ghoul dropped to the ground only to be replaced by another one. Hallie repeated her previous motions before turning to Tom. “How many you think are gonna show up?”

“Don’t know,” Tom replied with a grunt, downing another beside her.

"Right." Hallie sighed as she took down yet another infected. She knew there wasn't a whole lot she could do that would make up for what had been done. But the least she could do was make an attempt to fix her mistakes. Hallie made a mental note to make a proper apology later, though she had a feeling it would take a lot to earn the group's trust back again- not that she had it to begin with.

"Infected!"

Charlie's incessant whistling of the full Californication track list ceased upon the announcement, pulling tight on the reins of his still unnamed horse. They'd slipped by countless infected on the miles traveled already, though it seemed this party of five did not intend to make way for their convoy. Finding no alternative, the doctor sat back and allowed the rest to work.

He saw the infected tear Hazel to shreds before his eyes as she approached. He saw them shrug off bullets and buckshot as they turned horses to mincemeat and feasted on his friends.
Then he blinked.
“FIRST KILL, BITCHES!!”
Hazel made light work of the first walker, and made sure everyone knew it.

Charlie would have addressed Hazel's gratuitous display of pride were it not for the sheer terror of Hallie firing a weapon point-blank behind her. Within ten seconds of making direct contact with infected, they were doomed.
"Who decided to give the teenager a gun?!" He exclaimed rhetorically instead of sharing a redundant "I told you so" with Sybille.

A shriek rang out down the road. His horse circled in place, sensing the approaching predators. Horde.
"More infected!"

Hell broke loose upon their entourage. The fighters played defense while Zana's horse actively attempted to turn her to roadkill, dragging her no less than ten feet.

As though his station's tones had just dropped over the radio, Charlie felt a familiar zing up his spine.

"Charlie!" she called out without taking her eyes off the advancing infected, "Could you please pull Zana back a bit and make sure she doesn't die?"

"Coming, dear..." Charlie grunted to himself as he bailed off of his horse, not wishing to suffer a similar fate as the poor girl.

Alone she lay in the street, unmoving as the remaining infected shuffle ever closer. Unable to make out fine details at such a distance of fifty feet, there was no time to decide whether or not she could wait. Praying the infected preferred to work for their meal, Charlie began the mad dash over to his patient, circling behind the team to avoid the firing line. With every foot gained, every injury noted, he felt Zana's chances grow slimmer by the second.

She idled supine, her limbs strewn beside her in a jagged flail. Much of the skin on top of her left fingers had been abraded off against the pavement, and she now appeared to fancy red hair dye. Her foot exposed, dislocation of the ankle was evident from even a perfunctory glance, a product of her entanglement. Most concerning, however, was the ooze of blood steadily filling her airway from her tongue and cheek.

"Zana!" The medic called for responsiveness over the barrage as he arrived on scene, kneeling beside his patient's head and rubbing her sternum with his knuckles. "Zuzana!"
Nothing. The blunt force had knocked her clean out.
He pried her lips apart with two crossed fingers and observed the aspiration hazard, quickly dumping her onto her left side to temporarily drain it whilst holding her neck straight.
"Zana!" Charlie flipped her back and felt her chest rise against his palm at a depressed rate, cursing under his breath and rising to his feet. He slipped his arms under hers, dragging her backwards towards the rear.

"You're okay, you're okay..." Charlie assured the both of them as he trudged.

Oh, she was not enjoying all that noise. The sounds and movement welcomed her back from unconsciousness, and it was an all too unpleasant welcoming indeed. She was moving again, and not of her own volition. Every bump jolted her further and further awake with fresh pain – who was dragging her around like this? She just wanted to rest a little, couldn’t they leave her be? She groaned, going to bat away whatever was dragging her around and causing all this pain, only to find that her body felt too heavy. Even her groaning was muffled and tired – but maybe that was because of the undignified dribble of blood that accompanied it from her lips.

Charlie set the woman beside the tire of an abandoned Jeep, pulling a triangular cloth bandage from his coat and affixing it to her leaking scalp like a durag.
"Hey? You hear me now?" He tied the knot behind her head. "Try not to move your neck, you had a little tumble.”

Someone was speaking, and it only made everything worse. “Gah, ty vole! Do háje,” she snapped. Maybe. It was what she was trying to say, anyway. She just needed a little peace and quiet.

“Uh-huh, right, can you tell me your name?” He pulled her eyelids open one at a time to check her pupils.
“Do you know where you are?”

The question pulled at her recollection slightly – the English especially tugged at her focus. “Stupid horse,” she grumbled. Sluggishly, she raised her hand to her face, trying to wipe at the warm liquid on her chin. She gave up halfway through when the movement of her shoulder made her wince.

Great.
Charlie
rolled his eyes down to her disfigured foot, feeling for a pulse before tapping the bottom of her big toe a few times.
“Can you feel this?”

The touch made her want to flinch away, but she was vaguely aware that doing so would only hurt more than enduring it. Charlie – at least, she thought it was Charlie – was still speaking. “Yes,” Zana gritted out. “Hurts, thanks Doctor.” She would have liked to stay in blissful unconsciousness for a little longer, but apparently she wasn’t allowed such a simple request.

“Good.” Charlie attempted to ignore the ongoing skirmish as he pulled another bandage from his pocket. He then poured some water from his canteen on her abraded hand to clean as much debris out as he could before wrapping it. For all he knew, Zana could be hemorrhaging into her brain as she spoke, but there would be nothing he could do about that. For now, the best thing would be to load-and-go, as he’d put it. At this rate, they wouldn't make it past the Colorado River.
“Alright, well, you’re not riding horses anymore...We're gonna sit tight, and then we're gonna get you out of here."
Out of here...
And go where?

Ty vole
Translation: You ox
Usage: Exclamation, similar to something like “bloody hell”

Do háje
Translation: Go to the woods
Usage: Go to hell/fuck off

As the Mall Security Department officers walked away, the only thing Ollie could focus on was the sweat on his palms. It clung to his skin, an uncomfortable kind of stick that only made the chills down his back seem all the worse-- a product of sitting in front of two figures with relative authority and lying continuously, something he had never been particularly good at. Lies had their purpose, of course, but telling the truth was just... easier. Nothing to keep track of, nothing to risk being caught with. Simple. Ollie liked to trust people when he could, and he liked to be trusted in return. It was easier that way.

Unfortunately for Ollie, lying had been his best option today. After all, what other choice was there when Mall Security came knocking at his door, accusing Sybille of murder and demanding to know which way she was heading?

He'd known, of course. Sybille had asked him days ago if he'd wanted to go with them. At the time, he'd been more concerned that his knee might slow them down than anything. It wasn't that bad, and he could go about his business as normal most days, but there were times when it just didn't... feel the same. He could still walk without much issue, but running could be problematic. It wasn't impossible, it just wasn't comfortable, nor could he do it for as long as he used to be able to.

After his conversation with security, though, he was quick to start changing his mind. The conversation-- interrogation, really-- he'd had with security left him shaken. They hadn't been direct about saying it, but it was clear to him that the Mall intended to send somebody after her. He'd done his best to misdirect them, but he wasn't sure if that would be enough. It wasn't like he knew who else in the Mall had been told about their plans, and any other person who knew could have given up the correct answer.

It didn't take him a long time to decide to take off after them, at least to warn her. Ollie didn't exactly have a wealth of people in his life, and while he wasn't sure if he and Sybille were really friends, he did trust her. And she had trusted him, at least enough to bring him in on the shop, to keep him around. That meant something to him.

The sky was dark by the time Ollie was ready to go. Not that it was any wasted time; he wouldn't have dared to leave while it was light out anyway. It might not be as safe or easy to see once it was dark, but there was a layer of cover it provided that he couldn't replicate by other means, and he needed it. If he was slipping away to warn Sybille and her group that the Mall was trying to track them down, the last thing he needed was them following him right to her.

Packing up was easy. His go bag still sat in the closet, with several the things he would have grabbed already inside: a handful of ripped-up greasy rags, a pair of lighters, some spare tools to use as needed on the road. There were two scored glass bottles in there, both with just enough liquor each inside to go off if a rag were stuffed inside and lit. Each one had been wrapped in old shirts or other soft items to avoid them shattering or otherwise breaking inside his bag. Gathering everything else was easy; all he really needed were his weapons and the actual tool belt.

After a short period of deliberation, he slipped down to the shop as well. Gas was a valuable commodity, but working for Sybille at Rainey Day had several perks. One of those was that there was a decent supply of gasoline on hand at the shop. It wasn't an exhaustive supply, but it was enough that he didn't feel too bad taking about half a gallon's worth. If he didn't need to use it, he could just put it back later. And if he did...

Well, then it would be good that he took it.

Ollie only hesitated once, standing at the front door of the shop. He wasn't stupid. By running off right after being spoken to, he was pretty much implicating himself in a crime he didn't commit or assist with. A crime he hadn't even heard of until security was at his front door.

The thing about it, though, is that he wasn't sure it was a crime. Sure, it was killing somebody, but... rules and morals, they weren't as black and white as they used to be. And this was Sybille. Cold-blooded murder just wasn't something he could see from her. If those Mall security officers were right (and he still wasn't sure if they were, truth be told), she must have had a reason.

And if she had a reason, she deserved a warning. The least he could do for her, after the things she'd done for him, was that.

Even though he seemed to be a bit green, Joseph was a welcome addition to the frontline. Hazel and Lars were combating the sudden surge of ghouls as best they could, but many hands made for light work. Surprisingly the horde had been kept relatively at bay as the combat proficient team caved in skulls. Lars had to wipe swaths of blood from the goggles of his mask whenever he had the chance. His knife had made quick work of multiple infected by now, and the handle of his glock made for a decent bludgeoning tool. Of course, should the situation get out of hand, Lars could open fire in an effort to keep the cast alive. They’d already made their presence known to every ghoul and scavenger in the area, so firing off a few more rounds wouldn’t get them in any deeper shit than they were already in.

By now, they’d thinned half the herd in good time. Everyone had been quick to respond to the sudden attack, something that assured Lars of the quality of the company he now kept. Even still, commotion continued at the rearline, with bucking horses and calls for assistance. The Ashen could spare not a moment to look behind him. He simply needed to have faith in the rest of their posse to handle whatever threats had sprung up over there.

Like clockwork, Lars used his right hand for an upward strike with the pistol he held, getting the ghoul’s intimidating bite out of the way long enough for him to plunge his blade into its neck. He pulled the blade out just as fast as it had penetrated the rotting flesh before kicking it back.

Unlike clockwork, the ghoul that had been kicked aside was immediately replaced with two more, who had moved upon Lars faster than he had expected. As quick as the Ashen could, he pushed both arms forward to keep each from getting a bite at his neck. His left hand had plunged his knife into the infected body, though it did little good as it kept pressing forward against his brace. The other was held at bay, pistol splayed flat against its chest to hold it back similar to the other.

For a moment, he thought to call out to Hazel or Joseph for help. All it took was a quick glance to see them each dealing with their own problems, so Lars ditched the idea. He would solve the situation himself. He couldn’t let them get overrun.

With an assessment of the infected before him, Lars noted the poor state of the left infected’s leg. That would be his claim to victory. He surged against the push of the infected before him, and Lars’ foot stomped into its knee. The walking cadaver’s calf, slender and rotted, was ripped from its thigh from the force. Withdrawing the knife, the left infected collapsed to the ground suddenly before him, teeth still chattering together, hoping to get a bite.

Lars didn’t think twice about stomping his boot into its mouth. The crunch of its jaw assured Lars it had no teeth left to bite him with, even if it could get through the tough leather of his footwear. With his focus now on the right ghoul, Lars was able to put all his weight into flinging it backwards, sending it over the barrier of the highway and plummeting down below. He then assured the ghoul beneath his boot was in fact dead before progressing back to the fight.

“I’m Joe, by the way!” the man next to him called. Joseph had to keep himself from extending his hand in greeting — he needed it to grab the neck of an incoming ghoul before shoving it back and cracking its skull with an ax swing. Still, he’d figured he’d at least use this time to get to know his companions. There was nothing that forged bonds as well as being stuck in the fire, after all.

He’d heard of the man in the gas mask, though most of what he'd learned in the preceding days he’d gleaned from whispers at the lunch table and tales Joseph knew better than to accept wholesale. The way some people described Lars, you’d think he was more of a cryptid than the infected he hunted.

It was mostly superstition and boredom-induced fancy, Joe knew. But there was always a little truth in lies. And if there was any in what he’d heard about Lars, this was a man Joe needed on his side.

So he lied.

“A few of the guys on my team had a bet,” Joe continued, though he kept his gaze ahead, “about who was the best at the Mall at killing these things. Your name came up a few times.”

He nodded toward the woman with blonde hair and a mean-looking rifle. “So did hers. What do ya think?”

“I think Lars is the nastiest son of a gun this side of the Mason-Dixon, but this cold-blooded-killer over here’s about to give him a run for his money,” Liberty jerked her chin towards Hazel, attention still fixed on the writhing of bodies in front of her. Bayonet and hunting knife settled into a rhythm of squelching.

There was a familiar air about this man she scarcely knew; something about the casual ease in which he peppered the tension-thick air with his own trivial thoughts that felt like home. She wanted to attribute the sense of deja vu to a type of gallows chatter unique to the new world - a way to cut through the tension and forge normalcy in plunging knives through skulls like any other mundane chore. –But something about the poise of the words reminded her of pointed, gossipy questions and shuffling through church pews to shake grown-ups' hands. Battlefields and Baptist churches; who knew the difference anyway?

Archer welcomed it; found fuzzy comfort in those empty words that came so easy. Shit-talking was an art of its own, after all.

“Hear that though, Lars? It was a bet. What do you think the terms were?” She hitched her voice up over the commotion, letting another tattered body hit the ground as she spoke. “--Because it sounds to me like whoever lives the longest wins somebody some money,” Her words edged slightly with a touch of venom for Joseph, the hint of a teasing smirk curling sun-damaged lips as she shot the gambler a sideways glance.

Lars listened to the casual conversation taking place between himself (a passive member of the conversation), Liberty, and Joseph. While Lars was no stranger to killing zeds, he found the chatter… redundant. A chance for the others to show off how easy it was to kill things while chatting. The survivors were just as easy to get bit as they were to smash infected skulls.

Still, Lars chose to participate this once, an indulgence in the seldom social activities he took part in. Joseph seemed decent, and Liberty had proved her mettle countless times before. “I’m good at killing them,” he began, systematically ending another lost soul. Liberty has my pick. And that girl has proven her skills with a bat. I would say we are in good company.”

Lars
continued after a pause to swing once again. “My specialty is tracking humans. And hunting them.”

Finally, he answered Liberty. “Maybe they took bets on how we would die, too. I’d wager I get swarmed by a pack of ghouls and get ripped to shreds first. You’ll get a bullet between the eyes during a trade deal. I’d stake my Mosin on it.” Lars smirked under his mask, a notion he was happy the others couldn’t see. It was exactly for that reason why he wore it in the first place.

But Joseph grinned openly. Liberty, at least, was engaging — even if her voice carried a bit of an edge. That was fine; ironically, people tended to be more trusting when they felt they were appropriately suspicious. He was sure he could get this woman fully on board without too much effort, so long as he was careful.

Lars, though — that guy gave Joseph pause. Maybe if the guy wasn’t wearing a mask, Joe couldn't tell if he was joking about the whole “I hunt humans” thing. Sybille had vetted her crew, right? He took a second to side-step a half-pace away, just in case.

“Well, maybe some cash would have exchanged hands,” Joe replied, mostly to Liberty, taking up a tone that was almost abashed, as if he’d gotten caught pulling a harmless prank. “Though fat lot of help that would do anyone now. Unless ghouls take bribes. Has anyone checked to see if ghouls take bribes?”

Hazel let out a primal grunt as she swung Stella one, two, three times before finally crushing a particularly stubborn ghoul’s thick skull. Still panting from the exertion, she pivoted, scanning for the next bitch to smash.

She couldn’t fathom how the others managed to speak at all, let alone hold a conversation, while thinning a herd like this.

She took off at a sprint towards the next ghoul in her sightline, throwing her weight behind a downwards swing of Stella. She wiped a splatter of blood from her forehead as the body crumpled.
“The girl… with the bat…” she choked out, “has a name you fucks.” Winded, she took a moment to rest her hands on her knees and catch her breath.

Lars glanced over to the girl with the bat. He’d have to ask sometime what it was, or overhear someone else mention her name, but now seemed like a bad time. Not when she was bashing in ghoul skulls. He’d wait till things were less tense. Or maybe Joseph would be bubbly enough to ask?

The others had managed to keep themselves alive during the encounter, though even as Lars finished jamming his knife into the final ghoul in sight, he checked the bodies around them to ensure none writhed around, waiting to catch any unlucky soul’s ankle for a quick bite. At least one was given an extra stab from the hunter to ensure it remained on the ground, unmoving.

Lars once again wiped the blood from the goggles of his mask. His breathing was heavy, and his shoulders slumped slightly. Even winded, though, Lars gripped his pistol and knife tight, ready to deal with any additional threats that may arise while the rest licked their wounds.

“We look clear.” Lars spoke aloud to everyone, but primarily Sybille. “I’ll grab someone to tag along and we’ll sweep the highway for the next hundred feet or so.”

Haggard breaths echoed in Tom’s ears, sounding distant and muffled like they’d been captured in a vacuum. As soon as one body was down, another approached, and went down at the quick succession of his knife and his boot. Ten years. Ten years of a quiet life, yet the instinct for survival never really left. Looking down to the body underneath his foot, a brutally fast stomping of the decaying skull spraying a near-black blood upwards to his face, Tom still found that he questioned if the body had had a name. Was someone out there missing it still? A wife? A daughter or son? Or were they gone too?

At Hallie’s stubborn appearance again next to him, Tom gave a look that was bothered at best. “What did I tell you about hanging back-“ Tom looked over to her for a second, all it took really to lose footing when the stakes were so high.

Joseph suddenly shot forward, using the tip of his ax to trip an infected lunging toward Tom before driving the blade into its neck. He smirked grimly at the mess of bone and flesh, then seemed to remember himself and wrinkled his nose, as if trying to reset his expression, before frowning.

Tom roughly pushed Hallie behind him, hatchet and all, and readied himself for the next offender but, looking up and ahead, found that the numbers of attackers had diminished to none. He breathed out a shaky, relieved sigh, wiping the mess from his face with the sleeve of his shirt and tried to assess the surroundings. Alive… Christ, okay, everyone was still alive. Nobody’d turned. His eyes scanned over the others, one by one, seeing that Zana was down and the others generally exhausted, not to mention the horses spooked.

They weren’t even half a day out of the city and things had already turned from decent to cataclysmic. Finally, Tom locked eyes with Park, who despite a splinted thumb, hadn’t shied away from taking up his place on the front line. When all fell quiet, Tom even acknowledged with a silent and begrudging nod that he probably owed Joseph his life. You good?”

Joe moved his ax to his other hand. The head of the tool was coated with flecks of rotted flesh and viscera, some of which had stained his jeans. He was breathing heavily — he’d begun to feel some fatigue from the assault — but smiled thinly at Tom’s words.

“Could be better,” Joe replied with a grunt, “I think I left the stove on back home.”

“Cute…” Tom replied, looking down to the switchblade as he cleaned it off and folded it back. He was only half listening, already pulling away from where Joe and Hal stood, having set his sights on Sybille in the back.

As he approached, he took her elbow gently. “A word…” Tom muttered, guiding her behind her horse, to gain some privacy from the others.

Sybille walked with the man as the chaos of the fight diminished and all infected were put down. She beckoned Santa to follow and scratched him behind the ears and gestured for Lars to wait. She was going to need him to watch their six.

Tom then turned to her, the concern palpable in his look. “Listen … we’re only half a day out from where we started. I say we cut our losses and turn back.” Despite the sternness that came with being on edge, there was a sympathy in his tone, too. Tom knew it wasn’t the plan anyone would’ve wanted … but they had to be smart about this. Six hours in and they were already running knee deep in trouble. Someone had to be the voice of reason here. He held up a hand to keep her from interrupting -

“I know that’s not what you want to hear but … We can reassess the plan, reconsider our numbers. Zana’s down for the count. And Hal, well …” He blew a resigned sigh from the corner of his mouth. They’d made it out with only a few scratches this time, but were they willing to risk a second incident? “The kid’s too young, too inexperienced. We can’t risk her being out here. She’ll get herself killed.” He liked Hallie, he really did, but if it came between hurting her feelings or keeping her safe, it wasn’t a decision he’d ponder for long. We can turn back now, get back by sundown. Maybe set out again in the morning.”

Sybille nodded along as Tom talked. She didn’t disagree with him; Zana clearly couldn’t ride a horse and Hallie was a bit too trigger happy for everyone’s safety. If the events of the early morning had transpired any differently, she’d have been rushing them back instead of even engaging in the fight to begin with. It was too great a risk; this whole damn trek across the country was.

“So,” Sybille started, knowing full well what she was about to say,we can’t.” She leaned in closer and spoke under her breath. Bill attacked me this morning. He held a gun to my head and I…” she trailed off, but turned out the inside of her left jacket pocket to show the blood stains. “It was him or me. No one had found him by the time we left, but it’s too late for any of us to go back.”

“You what?“ Tom hissed out.

She looked out toward the group. Hazel, Joseph, and Lars had risked their lives to help defend the group against the onslaught. Charlie had even rushed in to help Zana get her bearings. Everyone had put so much faith in her to lead them across the country and keep them together. Now they had no choice.
“I wanted to tell you this morning. Charlie told me to keep cool. I was going to tell you once we made camp but I guess…”

Tom pivoted away from the leader, one hand on his hip and the other reaching up to pinch the bridge of his nose. So many ways to take the news. Part of him wanted to chastise her, to grill her as to why the hell she didn’t take a few inconsequential moments before leaving the ranch to tell everyone what’d elapsed, to give them the choice of backing away or fleeing, the choice of accepting guilt by association. Part of him wanted to fret, to let panic seep through at the very sudden realization that not only were they basing this trip on the promise of a better place, but now they didn’t even have a real plan to fall back on.

Letting out an exasperated breath, Tom took a few seconds to close his eyes and recalibrate. When he turned back to face Sybille, he was as composed as he’d been earlier. There was no use in wallowing or blaming or dreaming of alternate scenarios. They were already in the shit, the best they could do was push ahead.

“Our pace is gonna be slow,” he nodded over to Zana on the ground. “But we’ve got to get out of the city before the sun sets. Did you see the way the trucks are situated? Someone’s been out here setting traps.”

Sybille could only be thankful Tom wasn’t going to announce her fuck up to the group then and there. At least he still trusted her enough to keep working with her, even if just for the time being.

“Yeah,” she offered, “but these ghouls looked old. It could be that whoever these traps were set for never came and the masterminds turned tail.” She sheathed the hatchet she just realized she was still holding and scratched at her cheek. “Either way, a small vanguard should lead the way at least for the rest of the highway.”

Sybille
shifted her weight back and forth. They needed to move quickly but not blunder their way into any more traps. If they made good time, they could cross the Oakland Bay Bridge and set up camp in Oakland by sunset.

“I’ll head the vanguard. Hazel and Joseph will go with me. Lars will trail a bit behind the rest of you and guard the flank. Can I ask you to lead the rear?”

“Yeah …” Tom composed himself. “I can do that.” another nod to the leader, more sure than it felt, before following her back towards the others.

Last edited:
Sybille stepped away from Tom and walked over to the rest of the group, stopping to make sure Zana was still breathing as she did so. She stood about a dozen feet from the trucks and was leaning against the railing overlooking the ground below.

Sybille signaled for the group to come closer and listen to her. "Good work everyone. No bites, I'm assuming?" She scanned the faces to make sure no one offered any notion to the contrary before clearing her throat and continuing. "It should go without saying moving forward that if unless we're overrun or being attacked by something other than a Ghoul, no shooting, yeah?" She tried not to look Hallie in the eyes as she said that, even if it was mostly for her. She'd make a mental note to have Lars watch her more closely once everyone broke for the evening.

"The bridge has clearly been trapped, or at least was. There doesn't appear to be any shouting or shooting from further up the bridge, so my guess is our hunters have fled or died, but it's better to be safe than sorry." Her eyes fell on those who had fought most of the infected. "Great work to you all especially. Hazel and Joseph, I'm going to ask you both to join me in the vanguard pushing up first. Tom," she turned to the tall man who she had just been speaking to, "Please lead the rest of the group. Finally, Lars, I'm going to ask you to hang back a ways and make sure no hunters are coming for us from the other side of the highway."

Or any Security Department Officers, she wanted to add, but chose to keep that bit to herself. It was still a bit too soon to let the rest of the group know about that.

"If there aren't any questions, then let's get moving. I want to cross the Oakland Bay Bridge by sundown and camp outside of the city." She clicked her tongue for Santa and swung herself back up on her horse.

The Bay Bridge still held, for what it was worth. It was a marvel of human engineering — not as iconic as its northern sister, surely, but it’d stayed dutifully steady for years as drivers and cyclists traveled over its back like ants crawling across a stooping branch.

And stooped it remained, though precious few used it nowadays. The old thing had done what it’d been designed to do, Joseph thought with a sense of respect as the layered steel platform seemed to grow with each horse-step. No one could deny the bridge that.

Joe’s horse jolted forward, snapping him out of his thoughts and nearly sending him flying behind the steed. He tightened his grip on the reins and pulled hard, gritting his teeth. It’d be just his luck to survive a ghoul rush and then get killed because Tom couldn’t be bothered to train his pets properly.

He straightened his back and let his shoulders drop, hoping that the others hadn’t seen him. He’d been riding at the front with Sybille and Hazel for a while now — it was a better assignment than he could have hoped. It proved that their leader was beginning to trust him. He just had to encourage her to continue down that path.

“I’m glad we all made it out of there alive,” Joe said, carefully walking his horse nearer to the two women. “I mean, sucks what happened to Zana, but things could have gone a lot worse if you hadn’t gotten control of everything.

“And,”
he added, nodding to Hazel, “it didn’t hurt to have a major leaguer on our side.”

Hazel puffed up at the compliment, forgetting whatever snarky comment she’d been thinking up about Joseph’s obvious struggle to control his horse.

She walked alongside her own now, since they had gotten far enough ahead of the group to slow their pace. She glanced over at the dusty brown mare, trying to gauge its expression. She always found horses difficult to read, and that made her nervous.

“You totally helped too!” Hazel replied, pausing as she struggled to think of an equally witty compliment to toss back to him. “The uh ax was good!”

In Hazel’s experience, men who witnessed her fighting style were more likely to make a joke about Tee Ball than to reference the Major Leagues, so she was genuinely grateful for the show of respect.

Joseph grinned, patting the haft of his weapon with pride. He’d done his best to clean the blade from the grime and viscera it’d gathered from its bloody work, but the ax head still bore a few stains. It was just as well; a well-maintained tool was a sign of a wise workman, but a pristine tool was a sign of a lazy one.

“Aw, thanks!” he said. “Turns out the thing works just as well for lobbing off heads as it does chopping through logs.”

Sybille smirked. “I’m glad everyone’s mostly okay.” She turned back to face her two companions. “Are you both feeling alright now that the adrenaline’s worn off?”

Hazel did her best to stifle an eye roll. Sybille worried too much.

“Totally fine, Syb. See? Not a scratch.” She flaunted her bare arms a bit to make her point.

Her trusty old hoodie, stains and all, laid now across her saddle, discarded as soon as the fight was over. The thing was worn and ragged, but sometimes even just a thin sleeve could be the difference between life and infection. Normally Hazel would keep it on, or at least tie it around her waist in case of a sudden attack, but it was just so goddamn hot she couldn’t bear it.

“Hazel and I are a couple of tanks,” Joseph boasted, still trying his best to ignore the dull ache in his right bicep. “I bet we coulda handled that whole horde, between the two of us.”

He took a lazy look behind him, gauging the distance between the three of them and the larger group. “How about you, Sybille?” he asked in a lower voice. “It’s been a bit of a wild morning for you, I bet. Anything I or the others can help with?”

Sybille smiled before turning her attention back to the front. “Let’s hope we don’t have to put your hoard-killing abilities to the test any time soon, yeah?”

Sybille
gazed out to Santa, who was trotting along about fifty feet ahead of her. He stopped every now and again to smell whatever was catching his attention. He must be having the best day ever, in spite of the fighting earlier; this is the furthest he’s been from Mall grounds since he was a puppy.

Mall grounds

Sybille’s mind drifted to Bill and the SecDep officers almost assuredly on their tail. Tom was right. What the hell was she thinking? Everyone had the right to know the dangers. Hell, if she was worth a damn as a leader, she’d let the group bring her back to the Mall in chains.

She gazed back at Joseph and Hazel. They had a right to know.

“Nope, I’m doing pretty okay!” she said, smiling. “All things considered, I think this has been a pretty good start for us.”

Joseph eyed Sybille carefully, but then turned his attention back to the bridge ahead. “Well, if you think of anything, you just let me know. I’m always happy to help.

“It’s a pretty good
group we’ve got,” he continued. “I mean, I was surprised to see a couple of faces here, especially, uh…” Joseph trailed off. “Well, anyway. You’ve got everyone wrangled and working together, for sure, which is pretty impressive if you ask me.”

Especially, who?

Sybille considered pressing the man further but decided to leave it for now. She was hiding enough on her own, Joseph could be afforded one secret.

“Yeah, I’m really happy with every– Hey! Santa!” Her dog was stopped and alert in the distance. She raised her fist to motion caution among the group and cautiously approached the german shepherd.

The reason for Santa’s concern became visible about 10 feet behind him. Just behind a tipped-over truck were three skeletons, at least a year old, sitting on lawn chairs at a glass table. Rifles were at their sides and binoculars around their necks. Empty bottles, some shattered, were strewn across the scene.

Sybille dismounted Rogue and raised her shotgun. She clicked her tongue, bringing Santa to heel, and approached the bodies. Two had gunshot wounds to the forehead and a third had one to the temple. A revolver with what looked to be dried blood was on the ground.

Sybille checked to make sure no more infected were lying in their wake before returning to the group. “I think we found the people who set the trap.”

“Literally what the fuck.”

Hazel
had thrown on her hoodie and unstrapped Stella from her pack in a frenzy, but with no immediate danger she found herself confused. “But they’re dead?”

Sybille chuckled. “Sure, they’re dead, but that trap was old.” Sybille knelt next to one of the bodies and began rummaging through the satchel. Sweet, a deck of cards. Pocketing the deck, she stood up and faced her companions again.

“The ghouls were old old, Hazel,” she continued. “They were so stiff that they could hardly move. Whoever set that trap sure as hell didn’t live to see it activated and these look like the best candidates.”

Joseph had dismounted — if the group was about to be attacked again, he for sure didn’t want to be on that crazy beast when it happened — and approached the corpses. He tapped one of them in the ribs with his boot. “Yup,” he said. “They’re dead, alright.”

The man bent down and picked up the revolver, swinging out the cylinder before extracting five cartridges. Two had remained unfired. Joseph began to pocket the rounds, then thought better of it, holding them out to Sybille instead.

“Here,” he said with an easy smile. “I figure you’re gonna want to redistribute ammo next time we stop for a break.”

“Thanks.” Sybille grabbed the two unused rounds from Joseph and dropped them loosely into her satchel. Santa had climbed up onto the hood of a car next to the table to sunbathe. “Let’s quickly give another once over to make sure we didn’t miss anything important.”

Hazel stayed back, watching the others pick over the corpses. She stood beside her horse, squeezing the reins so tight her fingernails dug into her palm.

It wasn’t like she hadn’t seen her share of bodies. She’d created more than she cared to count, infected and otherwise. But to take their precious things — some ammo, a deck of cards, whatever trinkets might be in their pockets — it felt like a line she couldn’t cross.

She supposed they weren’t exactly innocent. If Sybille was right, they’d set the trap that nearly killed the group before they even made it a day outside the walls. She should hate them, the same way she hated the Scavengers who killed her mother or the roaming opportunists who plagued her time in the Rockies — but she couldn’t bring herself to do it. They were just skeletons, empty eyes and smiling teeth staring up at the blue sky.

She looked away.

Sybille finished scavenging from the makeshift camp and returned to Rogue. She clicked her tongue for Santa to fall in line - interrupting his little nap in the sun - as she swung herself up onto her horse. She looked to Joseph and then to Hazel, who seemed a bit spaced out.

“Hey,” she called down, “everything alright?”

Hazel’s eyes snapped to attention from where her gaze had drifted.

“Yeah!” She quickly swung up onto her horse. Now was not the time for showing weakness. “Let’s go!”

-------------------------------------------------------

Sybille led the vanguard group the rest of the way across the Oakland Bay Bridge without incident. In spite of going 16 years without repair, the bridge was in pretty remarkably sturdy condition.

At the other end of the bridge, still yet to be caught up to by any Security Department officers, Sybille called to make camp. The three riders and Santa pulled over to a grassy patch underneath the bridge that would be easy to defend and out of sight.

Once they made sure it was secure, they returned to the base of the bridge to signal to the rest of the group. This would be the first of many spots to rest for the evening.

As Ollie caught sight of the bridge in the distance, and the various figures dotted across the beginning of it, a thick feeling of relief sunk into this chest. He'd been pushing hard to make sure he caught up to them as soon as he could; the longer he spent chasing after him meant the longer he was trailing after them without back up. While he would be walking a path they had already cleared in theory, he had no desire to be alone outside the Mall any longer than he had to be. The sight of the group in the distance put those worries at ease.

He picked up to a light jog in order to meet them, ignoring the slight ache that picked up in his leg from the pace he'd been keeping in order to catch them. By the time he managed to do so, they had spread themselves out across the bridge. Ollie could see Sybille far ahead of him, with several people and meters of distance between them. A few of the figures he recognized, but several of them were strangers to him.

Well, the best thing he could do was make his approach. He slowed from a jog to a quick walk as he started to grow closer to the man backing the group, making sure to step heavy so that he was noticed long before he could sneak up on anybody.

Lars and the horse he rode upon remained quite a ways back from the last person in their caravan line, craning his neck left, right, and occasionally directly behind. Being on rear guard meant always remaining vigilant; it was one of the most important spots in the line, and Lars would not fail at keeping alert. Despite being last, Lars still gave plenty of space to the cars and trucks where he could, ensuring he wouldn't be the victim of carelessness. Sometimes, ghouls didn't get startled "awake" until a handful had already gone by.

It was on one of these occasional glances backwards that Lars noted the boy catching up to their group. Upon first noting the flaming head of red hair closing the distance, Lars called out to the group while turning his horse with some difficulty to face the contact. "Survivor, rear!" He shouted behind him while readying his sidearm. Even though his rifle clung to his shoulder, Lars wouldn't be able to use the bolt action effectively on an ill-controlled animal.

"Who are you?" He called out to the lone adventurer trailing behind them. His sidearm pointed at the asphalt by the stranger's feet.

A little piece of Ollie blanched at the gun being drawn, even if the muzzle wasn't pointing in his direction. His steps jerked to a stop, and he raised his hands over his head.

"I'm Ollie," he shouted back. A beat passed before he realized that whoever this man was, they didn't know each other; unless Sybille was talking about him a lot more than he expected, calling out his own name wouldn't do much for him.

"I work with Sybille, at Rainey Day Mechanics," he added. "I came from the Mall-- a bunch of Security Department came by, they think she killed someone? They're looking for you guys. I, uh, came to warn you?"

Lars lowered his weapon a little further at the mention of Ollie working with Sybille. Maybe he was just a late arrival who had trouble escaping the things that bound him to the Mall.

But then he mentioned Sybille had killed someone, or, that Mall security thought she killed someone. Lars' steel visage remained unflinching, but his mind worked over the new information greedily.

"Explain." Lars said, renewing his tight grip on his firearm. "Who do they think she killed?" It would explain Sybille's extreme reaction right before they all set out from the Mall earlier. She was rushed, frantic. The pieces lined up. It was time for Ollie to give Lars the rundown he desperately needed.

If he was ostracized from the Mall as a result of some ill-fated coup attempt, Lars would need to give Sybille a talking to.

"I'm not sure, they didn't say," Ollie answered. Having the barrel of the other man's gun moved another few inches from him was enough to loosen the tension in his shoulders. After a moment, he let his hands drop to his side.

"Someone important, I think," he continued. "SecDep came after you guys left and started asking a bunch of questions about what I knew and if she told me anything about it. I didn't, but then they asked me where you guys were going, and it... I don't know, I got a bad feeling about it."

So, that was it, then. Sybille planned on bringing them all down with her, it seemed. He wondered if she'd ever tell the group, if she simply planned on letting them all walk back into the Mall unknowing of her deeds when this trek was over. Insidiousness could be rooted in anyone. Had Lars not pressed their newcomer, he and everyone else would be in the dark about Sybille's actions.

But Lars was not one to jump the gun. He'd speak with the mechanic later. When less devoted ears could listen. When Sybille had no quick out to escape Lars' inquisition.

The only expression Lars showed was contemplation. After a short break, he spoke. "So what're you doing here? Just warning Sybille and heading back to the Mall?" Lars paused before motioning with his armed hand ahead of him towards the rest of the group. "Regardless, you should speak to Sybille directly. Go. Don't try anything, I'm watching you."

Ollie shifted his weight back and forth between his feet. The consideration on the other man's face-- and the lack of any other emotion-- made him nervous. Had he mentioned something he shouldn't have?

When Lars dismissed him, though, he was quick to take the out. In truth, he had no idea whether he should go back to the mall; he had lied straight to the SecDep officers' faces. If they were planning on going after Sybille like he figured, they'd have to realize eventually that he'd lied about where they were going.

That could be figured out later, though. He still needed to talk to Sybille.

"Thanks," he said, almost under his breath, before he picked up the pace and headed further up the bridge in the direction Lars pointed.

The two travelled along the bridge at a brisk pace, Ollie on foot followed by Lars on horseback. Lars tried to maintain his vigilance towards the rear while also keeping an eye on the newcomer, as well as making sure a ghoul didn't peek its head out from behind a car at him. He did his best, but there was only so much attention he could spread across everything. Luckily though, the bridge seemed clear of problems, as Lars escorted Ollie to the other end of the bridge without a hitch, so far. Up ahead was the main force of their caravan, where he'd finally get relieved from his post as escort.

“Here, I got one. What kind of meat do priests eat?”

Zana looked up from where she was nursing her cup of water to squint at the doctor.
"What?"

"None."

"I have met priest, many eat meat. The Catholic ones even eat the body of Christ during mass." Zana remembered being told as a child that the eucharist literally transformed into the body of Christ during mass, so she supposed that counted. Another beat passed.

Charlie snickered contently at his can of soup. Still got it.

"Oh, you mean nun. I see, yes. Very funny joke."

“Thank you.” He crouched and squinted at Zana's foot, neatly wrapped in a makeshift ankle hitch. A little purple, sure, but not concerningly so. Her hand bandages had been doubled over to soak up more blood, her head wrap still holding tight. The only thing left to do was stitch up that scalp, another job for steadier hands than his.

"Well, you didn't laugh, so clearly there's still something wrong up there, but I guess you look alright to me." Charlie rose. "Rest your eyes. I'm gonna go find Mother Teresa."

Charlie
exited the fluorescent orange tent, leaving his soup on an old car and strolling down the line. He avoided eye contact with the likes of Hazel and Joseph as he passed them, hugging the guard rail until he met the next tent over.

"Knock knock." Charlie tapped on the nylon wall.

The voice didn’t bother Noelle so much as the intrusion. It had been a common thing at the Mall that others should interrupt her smoke break for minor injuries that could be handled with a Band-Aid and some alcohol rub, and for a moment she had forgotten where exactly she was.

Glancing up with mild frustration, she was pulled from her useless thoughts and once again to the unfortunate real world. However, seeing Charlie’s lean figure and thoughtful expression softened her own.

“Well if it isn’t the good doctor himself. How are you, dear? Come in, come in.” She beckoned him to enter as she took one last drag of the cigarette before putting it out to greet him.

“Hotboxing without me, huh?” Charlie hunched through the slit, grunting to sit down criss-cross applesauce. Resting for the first time not on a horse since they’d left home sent a hot ache up his thighs, settling in the small of his back and wringing his spine stiff, a familiar sensation from his days of overnight transports. Surely, his tombstone would read "Charlie - Lifter of Bedsheets," if he was to be dignified with a grave.

Worrying over him with a simple look, Noelle smirked as she met his eyes.

Honey, you look like hell. What do you need?”

“Hot water and two-ply.” They shared a stifled laugh.

“Um, I need you to close up Zana’s scalp.”

“The poor thing, I’ve been wonderin’ how she’s holdin’ up. She’s fighting then?”

“Yeah. Her responsiveness... Has its moments. She lost consciousness for a good few seconds before I got to her - hypoventilating. She's awake now, eyes are PERRL but sluggish, and her breathing's better. BP was 136/86 five minutes ago, respirations fourteen, but with a tumble like that, we can't rule out intracranial pressure." Charlie reported.
"‘Bout a three-inch lactop left of
her head. Fall was maybe seven feet, then four bumps." He recalled, each injury as vivid as though he'd suffered them himself. "Neck is immobilized. No CSF or Battle's Sign, but it just doesn't feel right.”
Noelle nodded at the rapid slew of information, already mentally filing it away for later use.
“Anything else?”

Charlie's shoulders imperceptibly slumped as he searched for a better prognosis in attempt to borrow some of his nurse's extraordinary optimism.
“Foot has PMS, I already hitched it. A little early to tell, but she’ll probably keep it. And make sure she lets that hand breathe or it'll get infected."

Noelle let out a hearty chuckle, clapping her hands together enthusiastically despite the general misfortune of it all.

“That’s my girl! I swear she’s harder to understand than life itself sometimes, but she’s a damn fighter!” The older woman wore a wide grin on her face now as she hobbled around, busily gathering her equipment. Truthfully she’d been scared to death that God was going to take the girl sooner rather than later. Although Noelle didn’t care much for being emotional- You really couldn’t afford that in this line of work- she’d grown fond of the music teacher and her constant questions about metaphors and the like.

"Yeah. A fighter."

“Alrighty then, why don’t ya lead the way Doc, and don’t mind the bum knee.” She clapped Charlie on the shoulder good naturedly as they headed back out.

"I gotta stop by the principal's office first, but why don't you get started without me?" Charlie held the flap for his nurse and followed her out, clasping the velcro together behind him. "Better she's awake already."

Noelle nodded to him and gave him a brief smile.
“Sure thing, hon.”

“Great…” The two parted ways in opposite directions as Charlie trudged further up the line.

The Doctor ignored the remainder of the crew as he walked by, besides Tom, whom he beckoned to follow him with a flick of the head.

The old cattler had just sat down on a somewhat sturdy piece of guardrail for the first time since they’d all decided to put up camp. Caring for a dozen or so horses was enough of a trying task with all of the best amenities, not to say how much of a pain it was without even the simplest of supplies. But having Hallie helped, even if it were her first day on the job. Her enthusiasm had aided her greatly, and as the duo unsaddled the horses, Tom found himself regretting having been so harsh towards her.

Once theyd gotten all of them settled in a small patch of grass, Tom had unwound a thin piece of metal wire around the perimeter of the green, held high enough that the horses would know the limits of their keep. And, at last, having sent Hallie off to get herself something to eat, had finally resolved to sit and rest his aching knees. He’d felt older than ever today, and he was damn sure that awakening in the morning would prove itself to be a special brand of fresh hell.

But Charlie had called to him in passing, the only other one of the group to apparently have been keen to the situation back at the Mall. Tom reluctantly took in a breath and pushed himself up into standing to follow. “Sure…” he acquiesced

"Hey." Charlie kicked the divider Sybille sat alone on, joining her in silence until Thomas caught up. "Am I interrupting you?"

Sybille looked up from her daze at the two men - the two people who knew the circumstances of her panic this morning. She figured whatever was going to happen needed to happen sooner than later. Her stiffened posture softened and she rocked herself up to her feet. “Nope,” she offered, shaking the dirt off from the back of her jeans.

Once Tom had joined the two, he cleared his throat and offered a calm but hesitant query: “so what’re we going to do here?”

“I’ll tell you what we’re not doing,” Charlie answered, resting against the least rusty car he could find. “In about ten minutes, Zana’s gonna have twenty staples in her head. She can barely sit up, much less ride a horse. I think we should take her back.” He asserted.

“As much as I agree,” Tom countered, “I think that bridge might already well be burned.” He didn’t look at Sybille as he said as much.

Thomas, she could have a brain bleed and fuckin’ die in her sleep tonight. What do you want me to do?” Charlie’s voice lowered, similarly did his brow. “Sorry. She can’t ride, though, you know that.”

We can wait it out a few days…” Tom offered, his voice showing no offense to the other’s short reply. He didn’t much like the idea of staying in any one place too long, especially somewhere so urban, but they didn’t have a lot of choices given the current circumstances. “I doubt anyone will be on our tail a day out. Anyone keen on revenge would’ve turned back by now.” He glanced over to Sybille, as if quietly saying that he didn’t begrudge her actions, even if they were causing everyone a bit of a headache.

Charlie, you gotta know Tom’s right here,” Sybille interjected as she started fidgeting with her earlobe. Zana can’t ride a horse? So, what, best case scenario she and whoever brings her back get thrown into the basement or shot?”

Charlie wanted to argue the Mall wouldn’t do such a thing, but the time for jokes had passed.
“So we just let her crack her head again? Or maybe she’ll go septic first, and we’ll take her out behind the shed and—“

“I’m not going to risk everyone else’s life for her right now, Charlie.” Just looking at him pissed Sybille off; the good doctor Charlie Harrell. First sign of strife and doctor’s orders are to turn around and march home in defeat. Even if the Founders weren’t liable to execute them all, it’d be insane to give up already. Zana knew what she was getting into; everyone did.

Sybille let out the breath she was holding and pinched at the bridge of her nose. This was a fucking disaster already, all around. She kicked a rock by her boot and squatted down to Santa’s level. At least he wasn’t driving Sybille up a wall. “Obviously, I don’t want Zana to die, but marching her back into the Mall is just about the only way we can guarantee that she will.”

You don't even-!" Charlie briefly closed his eyes and reset his demeanor, then glanced over his shoulder at the now distant camp. "Look, we’ve got three options here: we either take her back or we carry her, and I don’t see us taking shifts on piggyback duty for the next week.”

During the friends quarrel, Tom had taken a mighty fixation with the ground under his boot. He listened intently to the call and the answer, folding his arms across one another as a way to make himself look more steady than he felt. The options were bleak, that much was clear. And as much as Tom was a bleeding heart for most all living creatures, he found himself leaning absentmindedly on the hip closer to Sybille.

He wasn’t sure how disillusioned the others present were when it came to the risks of being here. Tom had never had much optimism that they’d all still be there at the end of it, with the possibility of none of them lasting the cross-country odyssey looming like a dark cloud on their trail. Hell, he’d had little hopes of lasting the next few months himself, given his pre-existing circumstances. In theory, it wasn’t smart to change the plan for one individual - to turn around or remain stagnant when they needed to keep moving. One life lost versus eleven.

Still, it was harder to swallow in reality rather than theory. The idea of making a choice that could further exacerbate Zana’s condition over the risk of hurting the group. Neither of the solutions presented thus far seemed especially appealing. Taking his eyes off the ground, Tom looked over to Charlie. “What’s the third option?”

Sybille’s eyes were locked on the ground, but she didn’t say anything; she knew where Charlie was going to be going with that.

The doctor returned the look, hoping the question was rhetorical. When nothing further came from Tom, Charlie stuck his hands in his pockets and stood up straight.
We make it quick.” He stated with a grim focus.She won’t even know it.”

The three stood dumbfounded.

“Look, we can see how she makes it through the night, but she’s…” Charlie searched for a better term than dead weight. “If she deteriorates, it’s no decision at all. I’ll do it myself.”

Sybille made tepid eye contact with each of the men. She wouldn’t be the one to decide another person was going to die today.

“Hold on-“ Tom interjected, hand raised against the two as if doing so would slow the conversation’s sudden escalation. “I think we’re getting ahead of ourselves here.”

Chancing across the camp to the tent where Zana was, Tom sighed dejectedly. Charlie’s right. We wait out the night. Revisit this in the morning. If she can ride, she can ride. If she can’t then, …” Tom didn’t know a tact way to answer, though all three knew what he hesitated to say. “Then we revisit this in the morning. Alright?”

Charlie threw up a palm.
“Fine.”

Sybille gave him a thumbs up but kept her gaze - and most of her attention - on Santa.

Last edited:
“I always liked camping,” Liberty announced to noone other than herself, legs folded beneath her on her bed mat as her fingers worked slowly; clumsily; to create a chain of the white clover flowers that dotted the overgrowth of grass. Typically, she’d choose somewhere secluded with a quick and effective exit strategy, but here, she’d planted herself damn-near the middle of camp. Somewhere between protective and suspicious. She couldn’t tell if she was lying to herself about camping, or if she was being sarcastic; it was an even split. In that past life, she’d never slowed down long enough to enjoy camping - never appreciated time that didn’t feel productive in one way or another.

Bill Archer used to pack Liberty tasks to keep her occupied after the firewood had been gathered and dinner had been cooked. Crossword puzzles and books she wasn’t old enough to comfortably understand. He’d demand full reports and only the most perfect rocks to join their collection at home. Anything to keep her occupied so that he and James could park their camping chairs in the stream and watch the day melt into night. Jeans cuffed up high, hands laced lazily together, heads afloat in an idyllic warmth as their daughter shouted words at them from across the site; impatiently awaiting their definitions.

Once, he’d even allowed her to bring her goldfish along so that she could show Mr. Toilet Bowl the sights. Liberty was quiet for three whole hours. –It didn’t end well, but the damage fee was reasonable.

As she finished weaving the chain back into itself, Liberty shifted awkwardly to stand without the use of her hands. The flower crown, thick with blooms and heavy with pollen, sat comfortably atop her head, making her look like a vision of natural serenity in the cloudy, stainless-steel reflection of her canteen. –That was, if you ignored the smears of dirt and blood canvasing her face.

“Hm,” Archer grunted her disapproval as she began digging through her pack to procure a bandana. Wet from the canteen, the rag cut through the grime on her face like a commercial for dish soap. When she was finished, she lay back on her mat, head propped on her pack at an unnatural angle as she made quick work of disassembling and cleaning the components for her rifle. The flower crown stayed put, although slightly off-kilter on the top of her head. She shot her horse - now affectionately named Burger King within the confines of her head - a dirty look in passing as the others milled about. She was practicing their familiar names as her hands worked absentmindedly.

Noelle had disappeared into Zana’s tent. –Or, was that Charlie’s tent? Liberty curbed her distaste for the bright come-get-us-orange homing beacon housing their injured. Casually, she found herself searching for Lars, and his charge, Hallie. Even now, as they rested, Liberty felt the need to keep tabs on Lars like they were out on another hunt. They weren’t picking through volatile city blocks or treacherous countryside, but their ragtag crew of travelers felt like a house of cards all the same. Even then, she'd resolved to be bleakly optimistic.

Liberty hadn’t been too terribly pleased with the day’s events: the quick exit from The Mall, the trap and their courteous announcement of their arrival to it. –And least of all, the amount of whispering that seemed to follow Sybille.

Though, like a good little soldier, she’d be seen and not heard until death came knocking; laying down the dead with the others and then finding her place back in the middle of their caravan. Like a good little soldier, she smiled politely as Tom and Charlie passed, disappearing just out of view in the direction of the deserted patch of highway that she’d last seen Sybille posted up by.

It wasn’t as if Hazel thought they weren’t going to sleep. Obviously, stopping to make camp as it got dark was a smart thing to do. But still, as the group settled in around her, Hazel realized she hadn’t given much thought to what stopping would feel like.

She paced through the little camp, trying not to look as nervous as she felt. Dark clouds obscured the sunset as the light faded and the smell of coming rain drifted in on the wind. She gripped Stella with white knuckles, her eyes on the perimeter. Something bad was coming, she was sure of it.

She’d lost track of Sybille during the chaos of setting up, so she wandered aimlessly in search of someone – anyone – in charge.

“I think you’re okay to drop the bat,” Called out a friendly voice from her right. Tom stood, his knees popping as they had started doing every time he perched down into a squat for the past ten years. He’d just finished pitching a single-occupancy rayon tent atop a shallow and dying patch of green where they’d all decided to settle. It’d been a while since he’d done anything comparable. His dad had always liked camping, as did most Coloradans who’d grown up in the splendor of the Rocky Mountains. He’d even taken his daughters once, though their camp had been ransacked in the night by a marmot and they had to turn around a day early for lack of food. It turned out that erecting a tent was something that one never became expert in, especially if it wasn’t one he’d been familiar with, but it wasn’t something one ever really forgot how to do.

The young lady, who’d taken a spot in Tom’s mind for the past day as Sybille’s symbolic ward, looked uneasy as her eyes went from the sky to the camp to the others going about their business. Her knuckle blanched as she continued to grip her weapon, a crude and cruel Louisville ash he’d hope she’d only ever have to use on the infected. While the others in their small group had fallen into various tasks, humming around the camp like lazy, sedate bees preparing to settle in their hive, Tom understood her mood. He felt it somewhat himself - the quiet understanding that all the valiance and idealism they set out with in the morning would evaporate with the setting of the sun. He hoped that at least the uneasiness would scar over in the following nights.

He took a few cautious steps towards the girl, who’d earlier seen so ferocious in the heat of their defensive maneuvers. What was her name? He’d seen her around for years, but he didn’t know many names in the Mall - at least not for anyone he didn’t have much need for repeated contact with. “Remind me of your name again …”

“Hazel,” she grunted, not bothering to mask her annoyance.

She let her arms relax, only just realizing the way she had been brandishing her bat around camp. She felt silly under the horse man’s gaze, like she’d just been caught by a grown up while playing pretend. Heat spread over her face.

“And you’re uh…” she lingered on the pause. She remembered Tim’s name, from Sybille, but he didn’t need to know that.

“Tom,” he proffered a smile. “You got a tent, Hazel?” He didn’t mind helping her pitch it, especially noting how the graying skies grew blacker and blacker by the minute. It seemed their luck wasn’t going to turn about in their first night on the outside, he thought bleakly, eyes turning up to the clouds. “Looks like we’re going to get rain soon.”

Hazel did have a tent, once. An annoyingly fluorescent orange one, with a missing rain fly. It was only meant for two people, but there was a time it slept all four of the Potts family, crammed in tight. Her father taught her how to pitch it when she was old enough, and it became her job to carry it in her pack.

She’d held onto the thing for a long time, longer than she probably should have. She finally ditched it when she was on her own, opting to sleep in abandoned cars or buildings rather than shoulder the extra weight.

“I like kinda wanted to talk to you about that actually,” she said. “Or maybe someone else, I don’t know.”

She nervously twirled the end of a braid between two fingers. Her gaze drifted to Tom’s tent, staked securely in the ground.

Tom’s eyes followed hers back to his tent, letting an innocuous lungful of air escape through his nose. Today really couldn’t get worse. Not only did the sequence of events befalling them seem to show a disfavor from whatever Man sat behind the curtain, but it also seemed that even Sybille’s closest compatriots came grossly underprepared. How were they ever going to survive out here?

Blowing away his frustration with his breath, the emotion never seemed to graze his expression. Instead, he nodded back to the tent he’d erected. Resigned, he insisted with a genuine tone, “Take this one, then.” He hoped she’d at least had enough sense to bring a sleeping bag.

The offer wasn’t one he’d give a second thought. She, like Hallie, wasn’t far from the age that … she would’ve been. He’d give her the shirt off his back on instinct alone. Besides, the forlorn, almost feral, doe-eyed look in her eyes took him close to pitying her (had he not seen how fierce she was in protecting herself just hours earlier). It wasn’t as if he anticipated getting much sleep tonight anyhow. He’d already volunteered himself to Sybille to sit as a sentinel. He worried about how the horses would fare, … and the others.

He took another step closer to her, not dissimilar from how he’d approach a spooked deer on a long-past hunting trip. With a silent gesture towards her pack, took it from her shoulder and gently hauled it over to the tent, effectively christening it hers.

“No wait that’s not —“ She huffed now, frustrated. She wasn’t some little lamb looking for shelter. “I just meant — How long are we planning to stay here? Doesn’t it seem like sorta vulnerable to be sitting here like this?”

“Gone by sunrise, that’s the plan.” He tried to sound optimistic about it. “Maybe later, depending on how Zana recovers.” A heavy if chased that sentiment around in his head. “I don’t much like staying still either.”

A quiet shame all but replaced the anxiety clenching at Hazel’s chest. She’d forgotten about Zana. Hazel hadn’t seen what happened, or really seen the woman up close at all since the fight, but even from a distance it didn’t look good. The blood on the pavement where she fell had churned her stomach in a way she wasn’t used to.

He stooped down to unfurl a tarp from his belongings, ready to find some unstable junction between corner buildings to drape it for means of some primitive shelter. “You ever been out here like this? Outside the Mall?”

His question was earnest. He’d spent so much of his time on the outskirts of their small civilization, he didn’t much know the younger ones born there from the ones who’d immigrated there.

“Of course I have,” Hazel replied, failing to hide her defensiveness, not that she was really trying. “I grew up out here.”

“That right?” Tom halted his preoccupation with the tarp to give the girl a look that betrayed a fleeting hint of reverence. That explained her steadiness around infected, at least. But he didn’t press further, knowing that almost always queries like this gave way to reminisces of grief; anyone who came from the outside surely brought their fair share of loss. He knew that feeling all too well. “You sure know your way around that bat.”

She grunted, accepting the compliment.

He straightened up, feeling the strain in the muscles of his back. “Should have an uneventful night. ‘Most everything looks abandoned. We’ll have a few of us sitting up anyhow. You can rest easy.”

Hazel let out a sigh. This Tom guy was starting to sound like her dad.

“Fine,” she huffed. “I’ll take your stupid tent but only because it’s about to rain and there aren’t any good cars near camp.”

She set Stella down by her pack, ready to get settled in and try to forget her anxiety, but a little tug in her mind stopped her short.

“You gotta promise me you’ll remember one thing though, if you’re the one keeping watch tonight or whatever.” Her fingers reached nervously for her braid again.

”What’s that?”

“The moment you let yourself rest easy is the moment somebody dies.”

Hallie had remained silent as the end of the day neared. She'd read the zombie books- heck, she'd seen some movies. Her dad even warned her of the dangers that lurked outside the walls. And somehow she disregarded all of that and almost got everyone killed.

And Zana.

Hal knew the woman wasn't a big fan of hers already, and now she was sure the hopes of a friendship were burned. She wanted to apologize to her, but how was she supposed to go about it? Hey, sorry I almost killed you. It won't happen again. Hallie scoffed at the thought. Yeah, it would probably be best if she avoided Zana until further notice.

Tom hadn't said much about the incident, and neither had Lars, but it didn't take a rocket scientist to know they were both equally disappointed in her after today.

"You're fine Hal- it's okay," Hal spoke out loud to no one but herself as she sat on the ground, just a bit out of the way from everyone. With all the chaos of the day, Hal almost forgot she was running off of two hours of sleep at most. Whether she had intended to or not, sleep was something she desperately needed. Her eyes glanced off to her backpack sitting beside her. She'd never gone a day without writing to her parents, but did they need to know about what happened? Maybe she could forgive herself for one night- Owen would understand.

She hoped he would understand anyway.

"It's okay, Hal," She repeated to herself as she finally laid down on her sleeping bag. Within a few minutes, her breathing had evened out and she had fallen into a dreamless sleep.

The poor girl. Noelle had anticipated Zana to look about as bad as she was now as the nurse stood in front of her, but Lord help them if it wasn’t still hard to look at.

Zana, honey bee, how’re you holdin’ up? ‘Sides the massive head wound you got, of course.” Noelle smiled briefly as she dipped down to look the girl in the eyes. Steady, just as expected. Offering a hand, Noelle let Zana place hers there before taking a look at the wounds. She trusted Charlie with her life, much more the patient's, but it was always good to double check, even if she had only been left alone for a brief minute.

The last few hours –– had it been hours? –– were something of a haze. At the start, Zana had felt surprisingly fine, all things considered. A bit dizzy, maybe a bit nauseous, nothing she couldn’t handle. Then the headache had set in proper and she began to grasp the full scope of her injury.
She’d tried her best to pay attention to Charlie, but she was bizarely concerned with the condition of her horse. “How is Mikoláš?” she’d asked, but the doctor barely seemed to know who she was talking about. She was still thinking about the beast when Noelle arrived in the tent. She let out a sigh of relief.

“Finally, someone competent,” she said, putting her water aside. “How is Mikoláš? That brute of a cowboy better not have hurt him.”

At Zana’s reply, Noelle gave a hearty laugh. Oh, Charlie wouldn’t hear the end of this.

He didn’t sweetheart, I made sure. Your horse is doin’ just fine, if not a little spooked.” Noelle wasn’t quite sure whether or not to be worried by her obvious lack of reply to her own question or not, but for now she’d proceed cautiously.

“I’m sure Charlie’s got you all caught up on what’s gonna happen next then?” Digging into her bag, she brought out the medical stapler and motioned towards her head.

“We’re gonna get you all fixed up girl, and you’ll be able to see that horse in no time.” Noelle moved skillfully towards Zana, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder.

“Can’t be waistin’ time now. Why don’t you go ahead and lean on back for me?” She helped Zana lower herself to where Noelle could better see the wound. As she lifted the stapler to the girl’s head, she began her queries.

“So, you ever had a horse before? That why you’re so fond of him?”

Zana easily went along with Noelle, leaning back and ignoring the slight swoop her stomach did at the motion, the tent tilting unpleasantly around her. She shook her head slightly, instantly regretting it as the world spun faster before spinning back the other way, like a playground swing twisted up and let loose. While she waited for her vision to settle, she remained silent, pressing the heel of her palm to her temple.

“The sooner I am stapled up, the sooner we can leave. I must be able to ride as soon as possible,” she said, having already forgotten the question she’d been asked but too stubborn to admit it. She’d rather Noelle think she was ignoring her than take her for a dullard who couldn’t remember a simple question mere moments after it was asked. She reached up and grasped Noelle’s wrist before she could press the stapler to her head. “I will not be sent back, you understand?” She forced herself to lean forward, desperately impressing this notion upon the nurse. “Do you understand? I will ride with everyone else. You will tell them. I will not be left behind.”

Noelle gently removed Zana’s hand, looking her in the eyes with all the seriousness she could muster.

“Honey, nobody is goin’ back there. I’ll be honest with you, if I know Charlie well enough, and I do, he’s probably fightin’ right now to get you back to the mall. I’m not so sure what the others are thinkin’ right now honey bee, but I’d rather you come with us. You’ll be in the same condition no matter where we’re headin’, and I’d prefer to keep my eye on you.” She moved Zana’s hand back to her side before smoothing her hair comfortingly.

“Now sweetie, I can’t remember for the life of me what that song you played me on that piano of yours was called. You mind tellin’ me? It was beautiful.” Noelle hadn’t missed Zana’s evasion to both of her questions, and she was going to make sure she could answer at least something.

As she questioned her, she began the grueling process of stapling the wound. It was going to hurt like hell, but all she could do for the girl was try to distract her with questions.

“Three Fugues,” Zana replied instinctively, Noelle pushing the button that made her focus. “Sonata 1.X.1905, more specifically.” She winced as the first staple was made, trying her best not to flinch away and draw out the pain. “Did I ever tell you its story, známý? Maybe I will tell you sometime.”

Her head felt a little clearer now, whether that was from being able to hold something of a conversation or because of the renewed pain of staples being jammed into her skin. Her nails cut into her palms as she clenched them, trying not to make too much noise and turn their unfortunate first day into their last day. It was bad enough being the first to get injured, and in such a ridiculous way, she refused to be the reason their camp was overrun by zombies on the first night –– especially when it was meant to be her job to find them safe places to camp. It was these thoughts that distracted her as her wound was painstakingly stapled shut.

“Where are we camped?” she asked through gritted teeth. Now that the fog was lifting, she was less concerned about being sent back to the mall and more concerned with the fact that she hadn’t done her job. She peppered her nurse with questions about the camp and their surroundings, trying to think of ways to be useful while incapacitated.

Noelle answered each of them dutifully, though insisted (quite forcefully at some points) to not try anything while she was in this condition.

“And if you keep bein’ difficult I’ll just leave you here to fend for yourself, and I won’t be checkin’ up on that horse of yours no more either, so you best lay down and get some rest. We aren’t goin’ nowhere without you hon.”

As the minutes ticked by with similar threats from the nurse and the occasional stubbornness of her patient, Noelle finally finished putting in the staples, incredibly impressed that Zana’s determination outweighed the pain through it all.

“I’ll talk to the others about lettin’ you stay hon. Only if you stay put. I see one toe on the ground and I swear to the great Lord above I’ll take you back myself.” With a small smile to Zana, Noelle gave her hand a comforting squeeze and made out to find the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back