Hating Popular Things

VoidRuler

Explorer of Realms Beyond
I feel like sometimes that I'm the only one who absolutely despises a certain new or popular franchise or thing. It's not that I don't like anything that is popular, as I clearly do (Gravity Falls and Splatoon mainly). But, sometimes if I want to rant about misc. thing or at least get away from it; I feel like there's no one else to relate with. The only thing I can really relate to on these topics are IHE videos.

I'm mainly talking about things like:

Jumpscare and Cliche Story: The Game (Oh um, I mean Five Nights at Freddy's)

Superwholock

Creepypasta (or at least the popular ones that 12 yr old Tumblr fangirls seem to like making yaoi fanfics about: Jeff the Killer which had the absolute worst original story, Ben Drowned, SmileDog, and just about every single goddamn haunted game story)

Randumb Humor (Example: "LE WAFFLES, BACON, N TACOS X333")

Overrated Let's Players who's fanbase is compromised of anyone from the above ^

Yaoi fangirls or just yaoi in general. Gay stories are fine and even good in my opinion, but most yaoi is just generic, bland, or unrealistic of actual gay men.

Author-Insert Character in the Tron: The Anime (Sword Art Online)

I'm sure I'll get plenty of comments full of rage now for merely even having a negative opinion towards any of these. But I was just wondering if there's anyone who feels the same way as I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's common knowledge that the average Creepypasta are complete shit.

VoidRuler said:
If there is one thing that makes me one to lock myself in my room and stay there until the year 3500 it is when people do this

I saw a T-shirt at the mall that said "BEING RANDOM IS POTATO!" and I left that mall and haven't been back

thank you for giving me the courage to say this

I happen to particularly despise Jeff the Killer and most of the 'immature' Creepypastas that are often utilized. While I know what the rest of these things are, I enjoyed FNAF until people started overdoing it. By overdoing it I mean making fanfiction, spam accounts, and other things...I really started to develop a distaste for the game although it didn't scare me. As for yaoi, there are still some good selections out there however there are only a few..pertaining to superwholock, I never got invested in the crossover even though I am a huge follower of all three of the shows. But, then again, to each their own and some people happen to like these things which is fine with me. Everybody has a different taste and we all have varied opinions on certain topics.

I don't hate on things.... There are things I dislike or I just ignore them, but I never hate on things. I don't like FNAF, Adventure Time, Creepypastas, yaoi, MLP, Hunger Games, Games of Thrones, Twilight or any of the most popular fandom but I don't hate them neither. I don't see why I should hate them. I just never read/watch anything related to it and that's all.

I love I Hate Everything, he actually seems like a really chill guy.

I can understand hating very popular things you're not into because you can't
fully escape them, when normally you'd just be indifferent to them. That's a big reason why so many people hate the Minions - because a lot of people dislike them, yet they're everywhere. And it is really annoying, but it's equally if not more irritating to me whenever people feel the need to never shut up about how they hate something. And it's really pointless to comment on content for something popular talking about how you hate it, like the fans of that thing really give a shit and need to know. It is pretty easy to avoid things on the internet, and I don't think it's so intolerable that people must complain just by seeing the content every now and again.

I personally don't have a lot of things that I
hate just for being popular. Maybe it's just because I'm not the most active on social media, but I don't see those things that often, and I don't think they're bad enough for me to actively hate them, they're just not my taste. It's too much energy to hate, honestly. I save hatred for serious things.

So in a nutshell: It's normal to begin to hate something that's popular if you're not into it because you hear about it a lot, but it's equally annoying if you be a huge hypocrite and don't shut up about how you hate said thing. It isn't that bad.

No, I'm not directing this at anyone.

To go with what Sparx said, it does depend. I especially agree with the whole Minions thing; hell, I feel the same way toward Duck Dynasty, too. Especially the latter, it's been around for years and yet it's still fucking everywhere when you go out shopping or something. Same with Frozen.

And the whole FNAF craze...

I wouldn't really call it hate either, as most things can indeed be avoided. I guess it's more like a pet peeve? Something to that effect.

Randumb humor is definitely irritating. Especially when you're trying to have a conversation, and then suddenly it gets steered away to something completely irrelevant. Or when people do it for attention. Or... the sayings on a shirt, that make you just go 'nope'.

I also cannot see what's so great about bacon. It's greasy and disgusting, yet people treat it like it's a bar of gold worth a couple million dollars (or whichever currency strikes your fancy).

I... I actually like Creepypasta, in spite of how corney ninety percent of it is... But I will agree, people referencing the same ones over and over does get old.

...Yeah... definitely something closer to pet peeves. People like what they like. Like all things, everything popular will die down and something else will take it's place. Just how I see it. There really isn't any use pouring any amount of hate into popular things. That's a good way to drive someone mad, I think.

A tale as old as time...

Psychologically, there's a tendency for people to disassociate themselves with pop culture as to better define themselves, ie "if everyone like this, I don't and thus I am different" - it's a fairly well-known tandem that's been around for far too long to truly date. However, what I see here isn't as much the dislike of something due to its popularity, but the disdain of something due to its over saturation. As I'm seeing, subjects that people were previously indifferent about begin to leave a bitter taste when this saturation occurs. It's natural, really.

I believe above all there are two things to keep in mind here: everything that is popular is so for a reason and almost nothing is universally popular. In a sense, you have to respect that. Someone is likely making a profit - sometimes insane profits - off something you might hate. As long as that can happen, it will, and anything that can will be milked until its dry and then some for good measure.

The best example I can think of is League of Legends and its META. While you can play a diverse array of champions in multiple ways in multiple roles, there exists the META: the Most Effective Tactic Available. Some people hate the META. Some people prefer to go against it and enjoy playing a certain way. But, at the end of the day, the professional players making a profit off playing the game are abusing the META. They are either calculating choices with it, finding "secret" or "underdog" champions to use that will have less counter play and over all using what is the most effective at the time. And, it works. They win. They're at the top tier due to the META just as much as their individual skill, and on some level, you have to respect that. They're the best at what they do because they manipulate the mentality all of them have because of the mechanics of the game.

The media is no different; it's a game with trends and patterns that is monetized for a profit.

VoidRuler said:
I feel like sometimes that I'm the only one who absolutely despises a certain new or popular franchise or thing. It's not that I don't like anything that is popular, as I clearly do (Gravity Falls and Splatoon mainly). But, sometimes if I want to rant about misc. thing or at least get away from it; I feel like there's no one else to relate with. The only thing I can really relate to on these topics are IHE videos.
I'm mainly talking about things like:

Jumpscare and Cliche Story: The Game (Oh um, I mean Five Nights at Freddy's)

Superwholock

Creepypasta (or at least the popular ones that 12 yr old Tumblr fangirls seem to like making yaoi fanfics about: Jeff the Killer which had the absolute worst original story, Ben Drowned, SmileDog, and just about every single goddamn haunted game story)

Overrated Let's Players who's fanbase is compromised of anyone from the above ^

Yaoi fangirls or just yaoi in general. Gay stories are fine and even good in my opinion, but most yaoi is just generic, bland, or unrealistic of actual gay men.

Author-Insert Character in the Tron: The Anime (Sword Art Online)

I'm sure I'll get plenty of comments full of rage now for merely even having a negative opinion towards any of these. But I was just wondering if there's anyone who feels the same way as I do.
I agree with all of this.

[QUOTE="Pariah Stark]A tale as old as time...
Psychologically, there's a tendency for people to disassociate themselves with pop culture as to better define themselves, ie "if everyone like this, I don't and thus I am different" - it's a fairly well-known tandem that's been around for far too long to truly date. However, what I see here isn't as much the dislike of something due to its popularity, but the disdain of something due to its over saturation. As I'm seeing, subjects that people were previously indifferent about begin to leave a bitter taste when this saturation occurs. It's natural, really.

I believe above all there are two things to keep in mind here: everything that is popular is so for a reason and almost nothing is universally popular. In a sense, you have to respect that. Someone is likely making a profit - sometimes insane profits - off something you might hate. As long as that can happen, it will, and anything that can will be milked until its dry and then some for good measure.

The best example I can think of is League of Legends and its META. While you can play a diverse array of champions in multiple ways in multiple roles, there exists the META: the Most Effective Tactic Available. Some people hate the META. Some people prefer to go against it and enjoy playing a certain way. But, at the end of the day, the professional players making a profit off playing the game are abusing the META. They are either calculating choices with it, finding "secret" or "underdog" champions to use that will have less counter play and over all using what is the most effective at the time. And, it works. They win. They're at the top tier due to the META just as much as their individual skill, and on some level, you have to respect that. They're the best at what they do because they manipulate the mentality all of them have because of the mechanics of the game.

The media is no different; it's a game with trends and patterns that is monetized for a profit.

[/QUOTE]
I Agree with this also.

I'm so conflicted

I don't hate this genre but I strongly dislike sci-fi...like I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't like Star Wars. I like SOME science fiction. Like I could even join some of the roleplays, depending on the plot. But I really don't like Star Wars or Star Trek while everyone else loves them.

*whispers* plz don't kill me

I'll be honest; I don't like the popular either. OK. I'm a gamer. In Pokemon, I play competitively. You have all your Smogon classes, right? Over Used, Under Used and Users, right? But I like Swoobat! Quagsire! Stunfisk! What are their class? Power Used, I think Quag and Stun are Under Used and Power used. And I get hate for going; "um. I like these Pokemon." Also, cannon ships. Why?! Why must something be cannon to be OK and popular? Just because it's cannon, doesn't mean that it's a good ship. I really don't get people sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back