Literature Harry Potter discussions

Again the us vs. them mentality is specific to Gryffindor and Slytherin. Ravenclaw has it to a lesser extent, I feel like in their case it’s more just isolation as a side effect of being more focused on their own interests. Not necessarily focused on shutting specific groups out.

And hufflepuff is built on a premise that directly contradicts the us vs. them mentality. It’s everyone is welcome as they are.

So in that case their common rooms reflect that. Hufflepuff wouldn’t deny anyone access who wants to come in. That doesn’t mean they give a map to their common room, but it means that if someone wants to hang out with them they are welcome to.

Ravenclaws isolate behind a riddle that is more designed to just gather information on people that come to their dorm.

Gryffindor and Slytherins are the ones who think in terms of keeping others out and the people in their group in.

A Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw are more likely to just throw out an individual who causes problem but not judge an entire house based on that.

So if for some reason Draco decided to attack a Hufflepuff, than I can see the House protecting that Puff and going after him. But they aren’t going to declare all Slytherins are banned from their common room because of it,

Yeah but you have to bear in mind there's a limited amount of space in the Hufflepuff common room, they're not going to constantly want it to be cramped with students from others houses. We all need cooling off periods (especially as teenagers) so I think they'd actually use their common room to let their hair down a bit, where they don't have to be councillors/mediators to the rest of the school for five minutes. They can all just chill out and relax with other chilled out and relaxed people and just let go of all the drama and stress of school life for a minute. They're still human, not the emotional punching bags of Hogwarts and their common room shouldn't be one great padded room for people to scream at (on that note mental health care at Hogwarts is appalling).

I think if they saw a student destressed because they were getting bullied by their house they might invite them in for a while, but they'd encourage them to go back and try and work things out rather than to try and hide from it forever. So while it might be a refuge for a rare student, if it was common every student would be like "yeah I need to wind down" without considering that the Hufflepuffs need to as well.

I always thought they shared the same "entry barrier", as let's be honest the Gryffindor one would probably be showing off how well you can decapitate a snake and the Slytherin one would be a blood purity test.

I think your taking this too an extreme that I am not intending. As I stated the common rooms are hidden. So it’s not as if there is a giant sign saying “Hufflepuff common area, come on in.”

I am saying that if their friends want to hang out in their common area they are welcome. And if there are students that are unsafe elsewhere they can come into the Hufflepuff common area.

Your treating it like they are doormats who must allow every student in the school into their dorm in order to qualify as having an open dorm.

I am merely saying that they are welcoming. If it helps consider the Weasleys, they are very welcoming to Harry and are sensitive to the fact he might need a safe space away from his relatives sometimes. They are also just happy to welcome Hermione who is a friend of Ron into their home. It doesn’t mean they just throw open their doors and invite the entire Ministry inside.

The hufflepuffs can be welcoming without going into some extreme unreasonable example of inclusivity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back