• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Guardian Angels

Coward

A marshmallow.
Supporter
peripheral3_1920.jpg

@TheAlmightyMahokins

Searching for LINK00926-CC6...

Connection failed...

Restarting process...

Connection failed.

The code kept repeating, over and over, as the android began to restart from his dormant state. There was only a certain amount of time one could keep an android off; it was a feature created by the government to avoid having people try to do things without supervision. Where was he? Pax could hear the faint whir of his CPU commencing his reboot operations, and he opened his eyes, the green bulbs glowing faintly, one of the few things that distinguished him from a human. His first instinct was to move-

He couldn't.

"Wha-" he muttered, as he registered that his hands and feet were bound. He was tied to a... Chair? His eyes searched the room. There was an unknown source attached to his USB port in the back of his neck. He attempted to access his communication database, to signal distress to The Council, only to realize he was cut off. Where was he?

"Hm. You have some pretty strong firewalls on you, man. You're making this really hard." Someone in the room muttered behind him, and he struggled to turn his head around to look at them. Unfortunately, he was limited to the movements of humans. "Good job on this one. He might be a lil bit of a problem software wise, but he's a decent model."

(So this is the headquarters. The person talking is the leader of the rebellion speaking to Kels. Just in case it wasn't clear, pfft.)

Last edited by a moderator:
"Thanks," Kels was tilting his head to look at the catch, an easy smile crossing his lips. Finally he glanced up again, meeting the leader's eyes. "Yeah, I figured we could spare the effort, the tech is worth it."

The android hadn't been an easy pull, either, but the other man knew that. These newer ones went to more important families, while the older models were recycled over and over. You could still see eighty year old droids out there, staggering around, with a toddler's meaty fist clutched in their ragged plastic hands. Snatching that sort was mostly a matter of confusing it down a dark alley, but then it was almost useless once you had it.

The Pax was something different. Smooth skin and perfect hair, even after being hauled through the back alleys of an industrial district. Not too new, either. Not so as it would stand out. It fairly glowed under the spotlights.

"ETA, by any chance?" Kels asked, moving to stand behind the man at the console, "I got time to get a burger?"

Wide blue eyes glanced at him, bright in a round, pale face. "Eh." The guy looked about thirteen, but then, he was a hacker. The poor bastard was probably twenty five. "Have a little faith," the hacker said, "I'm not that slow."

Kels held up his hands in apology, the grin widening. Still, he was feeling a kind of nameless tension, and his knee wanted to bounce unless he stopped it.

He was droid-less. Or, rather, even more droid-less than usual. 'His' current bot was standing outside in the hall, half gutted after the third failed attempt to fix her. She'd lasted a while, almost enough to make him sorry she was gone. Maybe some of the parts would make their way into the Pax, eventually.

They were speaking very casually. He could assume they were human for now, why would androids tie him up? They weren't broadcasting a signal, but that could be him still being cut off. Pax felt something rise within him, but he couldn't quite put a finger on what it was. Had he ever felt fear in his life? He'd read in the extensive database of base knowledge programmed into him that he was not capable of such emotions, only humans were. They felt so much with so little effort. He wasn't sure what would be better at the moment. He did not really have fight or flight instincts, but he struggled a little against the cords, still trying to turn his head around. "Who are you people?" he asked. He was normally much stronger than this. Ropes shouldn't have been able to hold him down, so why now?

They all seemed to be ignoring him, however. Okay, different approach.

Rebooting all processes...

Wait, what was that? He analyzed the software as soon as he found it, but it was encrypted to hell and back. The password didn't want to be cracked. He struggled harder against his restraints. No, what were they doing? "Quit it."

"Quit messing with my encryptions." The hacker laughed a little, "This one is more updated, we should be able to hold more data on it too. Hm."

Installing R2V4Y9-9728155...

Do not initialize restart...

"Keep an eye on him. We'll be meeting up later to discuss his role." The leader stated, turning on his heels to leave the room. Pax frowned. "Leave my processes alone, what in the world are you doing in there?" he asked, almost sounding pleading.

The droid was struggling - unusual. Mostly they just sat there after trying to move failed, making their protocol-demanded attempts to report the infraction. What if he'd picked up a defective one? That would be typical of his current run of luck. Kels watched it for a second, dark eyes unreadable. The too-human hands straining against the bonds did something unpleasant to his stomach, but by now he was used to this feeling. They probably make them that way, get your sympathy.

His superior's voice snapped him back to reality, and he smiled, easy. "No problem." He watched the man stalk out, before going to lean over the hackers shoulder, staring at the screens.

"What's it doing?" he asked, letting out a long breath. He knew a little about the software side, but this was beyond him. The interactions flickering up on the screen were almost too fast to read. Fast as thought.

At robot's question he blinked, surprised. The impassive voice had a kind of edge to it, weird phrasing. If a human had said that, Kels would have thought it were begging. Lucky it wasn't human. Still, he went to stand in front of it, then crouched to see the pale face better. Blank, like all of them.

"We're making some improvements," he said eventually, "your babysitting days are over, my friend."

The hacker shrugged at the question, "It's struggling pretty hard. I can get in, but it keeps kicking me out and putting back up its firewall." He tapped a finger on his screen, briefly following a line of code, "Maybe it's because it's newer. Wouldn't doubt The Council would make a stupid system like this, it's just tedious to get through." Pax finally decided to stop struggling. He'd been running background processes to get in communication with The Council, but it seemed like a waste of energy at this point. He noted that he wasn't completely charged either; he'd better close those processes in favor of ones that gave more obvious results. Though he didn't know what those were and nothing in his prior database gave him any clue on what to do, he'd probably figure something out.

Humans seemed very insistent on meddling with each other's affairs. Androids were made to help them. They were made by humans, for humans. Now correct him if he was wrong, but humans needed it, from what he could see. They fought, they were in constant need of reeducation, they needed to be reminded when to eat, when to sleep... It was endearing when they weren't messing with his base code and tying him to chairs. Pax frowned at the man standing before him, stating his babysitting days were over. "You may be human but that doesn't mean we are friends." He stated, "It's my job to help-"

He couldn't finish that sentence.

"Ah, there you go." The hacker sat back in his chair. "Gotcha."

His eyes glowed gold; signaling a major process, the faint whir of his CPU getting louder. The android fell forwards, eyes wide, unmoving with bright light. "Why are you-" he sputtered, though his vocal track was overwritten by his ongoing processes and rebooting.

"I'll- At your service- What did you- At your service-" He kept interrupting himself as he sat up, moving in a jerky fashion.

The hacker chuckled, "He'll get used to it. Maybe break him in. I'm gonna get a snack." And with that, he too, had left the room.

"Mm." Kels stretched, catlike, as he pored over the explanation. The security was getting better - had been ever since the rebels had started truly using the robots to their advantage. The Council's hubris was fading - it had been the rebellions one advantage. But it meant they were achieving something, making them hurt.

The Pax unit's reply brought dark eyes back to it's face, lit with a brief flicker of rage. Still Kels smiled, easy.

"Sure." He said, quiet, as the droids irises lit gold. "Your job to help." And he leaned back, listening in a mix of black satisfaction and horror, while the once-human voice shattered into a fractal nightmare.

Kels didn't hate the robots, no. That would be like hating a storm, or a gun. What he hated was what they represented, and what came out of their mouths. They were walking propaganda videos, restraining devices, spies, all rolled into one.

He looked up too slow as the hacker got up to leave. "Hey, bring me somethi -" but the door had already clicked shut behind him.

Kels blew out a long breath, ran a hand back through his hair. Break him in. Sure, make it sound even creepier.

"Can you hear me?" He asked, after a while.

It'd always been his job to help. That's what he'd been made for. His owner-

Who was his owner?

He stared, horrified, as his body twitched, over and over, rebooting every few seconds, trying to process the new code that stuck to his base instincts like glue. "You- I am- You took everything-" his words kept melding into each other, and his voice didn't sound very scared at all; he'd never been given that kind of emotion to apply to his voice bank. This wasn't meant to happen. "How could you- Everything is- I don't de- Stop- Stop- Stop-" his eyes were shining brightly, the light bouncing off the walls, faintly visible through some of his artificial skin around his eyes. Finally, his voice plummeted in pitch, lowering until it was unintelligible, and his eyes stopped glowing.

Manual restart...

Do not close current processes...

"Welcome to a new tomorrow." he said, monotone, but quickly shifted back into his previous position, panicked once more. ".... Why did I say that? How much did you change?" he stared at the human, barely able to wrap his head around this situation. Code clashed over and over in his head on what to do.

He paused, looking down at his legs, struggling feebly against the ropes once more, frowning at the question.

"... I can hear you."

Stop.

He couldn't drag his eyes off the twitching face, the wide eyes flashing over and over.

This was more disturbing than it usually was - maybe the perfection of the human form in this new model. For whatever reason the creators of this thing had given it an innocent face, and though it was expressionless it was hard to watch the pale hands moving against the bonds. Kels was just watching now, waiting for the thing to stabilise. With no-one else in the room his casual good cheer had faded, leaving behind a fixed intensity.

He nodded once at the response.

"Change?" He had to think about this, rubbing his jaw. His thoughts had run philosophical on him, splitting off on a hundred lines. If you use a knife as a hammer is it still a knife? What about if you snap the blade?

This was stupid. "We're overriding your priority handling, that's all. I'm your owner, my name's Kelsey Griffiths. You probably forgot about me, but that's okay." He forced a smile - these things could read smiles. "We're fixing you up now."

Rebooting had never been such an odd process. Pax had never felt true pain, he just felt his sensors indicating that whatever was causing his system damage should be terminated immediately. He only had notes on the nature of pain, and how to help his owner cope. From those descriptions, left alone in his database, he could probably describe that experience as "painful". It just sounded like the right word for it. He blinked at the man standing before him. "Kelsey? I don't know a-"

Apparently he was still processing things, as his eyes immediately glowed yellow, stopping him midsentence.

KG.exe unzipping...

Installing...

Installation complete. Initializing automatic function.

"Right. Kelsey. Sorry." He apologized, his tone more polite now, easing against the ropes, as information came to him. Ah yes, this made sense now. Slowly, all traces of any sort of distress left his system, making him forget what he was even fighting against in the first place. "How are you? Did you inform The Council that I am malfunctioning?" He spoke as if he hadn't just been twitching almost violently in the chair, eyes scanning his 'owner' that he'd apparently known for years. Information on Kelsey filled his database as if it'd always been there, like a tranquilizer soothing him.

"There is no signal here. I am not sure which sector we are in." He noted, calmly looking down at his bound hands, "Can you untie me now? These games were more amusing when you were younger."

He faintly recalled playing with Kelsey years ago, a memory that never happened input into his system, where Kelsey used to tie him to trees and misbehave. Ah, he'd been through so much with his owner.

It was funny how some things never changed.

Kels leaned back into shadow, skin prickling as the hair stood on his arms. He could never get used to this part. Three droids - four, now - and it never stopped feeling wrong when they would look up at him and say his name. It was like something dark and stifling wrapping his body, slowly crushing him.

Worst, though, was the slight twinge of relief and comfort at being talked to like this - as if he'd come home, and switched on the light in the kitchen. Every time. It was enough to make bile rise in his throat, muscles tense with rage.

In the rebellion they tended to call it withdrawal, when they could stand to talk about it.

"I'm fine," he said, the lie coming out flat. "And I told the council, don't worry about it."

That was all he could say, for a second, until he ran a hand back over his head, letting out an explosive sigh. When he moved into the spotlight again there was a cold flash of anger in his black eyes, quickly supressed. Casually he gripped the droids chin with firm fingers, tilted it's head back until he could see the lensed eyes clearly, read the blank face. It had stopped twitching, the lights stopped on full-operation green.

"Sure," he said, the smile coming more natural now. He stooped to loosen the ropes, already back to his easy poise. "Yeah, I guess I never did grow up. How are you feeling? Everything working in there?"

He could have checked the screen, the line still hooked to the port on the neck. This way was often just as good or better - the relative insanity of the response said a lot about what you could expect.

All systems seemed operational. It seemed as if he was in Kelsey's basement right now. Ah yes, Kelsey was sometimes called Kels. He leafed through his database. Everything was in place, no corrupted files. Thankfully. He'd had to be sent to a facility a few times for repairs, Kelsey had been worried sick. All seemed fine now, and according to his owner, The Council had been informed of his slight bumps in behavior. Hopefully it was just a small bug. His facial features, soft and so delicately human, pulled a smile upon his lips, nodding politely. "Thank you. If they come, they will most likely update my core processor. You'll most likely get a replacement android for a few days." He reminded him of the general process, unknowing that The Council would most definitely never come.

Kelsey sighed, and there was something within his eyes that Pax could not identify. It did not seem to correlate with anything in his system. Though the other said he was fine, sighing usually meant something negative. He noted that for future reference, perhaps Kelsey was feeling a bit down. His eyes blinked as they automatically did when Kelsey tilted his head back, and the android let him do as he pleased. "If you are in need of something, please tell me." He stated, green eyes locked with Kelsey's.

The ropes were loosened, and Pax stood up, rubbing his wrists as if he could feel discomfort. "It's nice to move freely." He replied, though realized there was a cord attached to his port, "Oh. How did... I forgot I was charging. Curious." He unplugged himself gently, setting the cord down. "I seem to be fully functional."

"I have exactly what I need," he said, grin widening. It was sometimes hard to resist screwing with them, hinting. They never picked it up.

Still he was uneasy, with a faint edge of tension in his shoulders. The new droid was strange; he couldn't help wondering if it was defective. First the near - begging, now it was rubbing it's wrists like a human captive would when released. Was this some kind of anti - tampering defensive behavior the council had added? Act more human to gain sympathy? Kels wouldn't have put it past them, but it was aggravating to think it might be working on him.

He leaned back to watch it, ran a hand over his jaw.

The tall figure unfolding from the chair was oddly fascinating. Elegant, smooth movement for a droid. If he hadn't known Kels wouldn't have picked it as nonhuman from a distance. Fully functional.

"That's what I like to hear, " he replied, cheerful.

This was indeed what he liked to hear. Early attempts with the robots had failed, not because of ops losing control or screwing up, but because of the constant self reporting. Unpredictable - dangerous. Everything would be going well, and then a cell would have it's door broken down because Rusty stubbed his toe and thought the council should be informed.

With one more searching look at the robot he turned, strolled out without looking back. It would follow. Whistling tonelessly he swerved through dim corridors, looking for food or his superior, whichever came first.

Well, if Kelsey was satisfied, that was all he needed to know. He wasn't very clear on what he meant by that, but Pax knew better than to question humans for too long. He was made to care for them, not always to understand them. There was too much to look into, too little time to do it. All his other systems worked fine, and he continuously looked through his information. Hopefully he could get a connection to The Council soon, he would like to inform them of his status. He'd only spent a minute or two observing the room around him, the laptop, the cord on the ground, before Kelsey turned on his heels wordlessly and left.

Of course, he followed.

He was made to follow. The hallways were narrow. Apparently, this was called home. It was very familiar. He could recall vivid memories of board games and hushed conversations. It wasn't long before they ran into the hacker, with half a sandwich hanging from his mouth. He didn't even bother saying anything, only nodding towards a room for them. He stared at Pax smugly, before leaving the android confused in favor of eating the rest of his sandwich.

The man inside was a friend, according to his system. Gabriel. He was a superior to Kelsey, though he was not sure on what fashion. A boss? Who knew.

The man observed him briefly, seated in a chair at a desk. "Ah, it's ready? Good," he folded his hands over his lap, looking to Kelsey, "The Pax model is new to us, we should be careful. We don't know what it's new features are." He hummed for a moment, frowning, "Which means you can't do much for a while. Hm."

Kels threw a look of friendly disgust the hackers way, before turning off the way he'd been sent. He was so goddamn hungry. Who knew when he'd get to sort that out at this rate. Briefly he followed the smug look back over his shoulder. The Pax unit was almost silent when it walked. Kels' dark eyes fixed appraising on the robots face for a moment, before he turned, pushed open the door.

He stopped in front of Gabriel's desk, nodding slightly as he listened. Right, of course, but not good to hear.

"I'll keep the reports up, don't worry. So far it seems fine, just a bit spooky."

Kelsey smiled easily, but his heart was sinking already. More time benched, after running around with the last barely-functional android for months. He was itching to do something real, not more smash and grabs. Catching the robot's too-human eyes he smiled wider, before turning back to his superior.

"What do you need?"

Gabriel was tall, quiet. Pax had many memories in his database of hushed conversations and pats on the head, gentle and firm. He was in his early 30s, and was the main proprietor of this house that Kels lived in. His expression was one that held twinges of emotions Pax could not put his finger on, but it could mostly be defined as serious. "Alright. We'll test him out. Well, you'll test him out, I suppose." A brief hint of what could be called a smile seemed to ghost across his features at his correction, and he sat back in his chair. He was careful not to say much in specific just in case Pax managed to find a way to connect to The Council; no matter how much they blocked the signal, there was always that one android that seemed to find a way to catch it and cause problems.

"We're sending you to Sector A for a check up," Gabriel stated, looking directly and Pax, who nodded in response, "The Council has insisted that you be hooked up to a more technologically advanced android and be scanned for better knowledge on your recent... Slip ups." Pax was silent for a moment, before nodding once more.

"I apologize. I hope they will find what's wrong with my system. I cannot seem to pinpoint where the error is occurring." He stated slowly. Gabriel gestured for Kels to come closer, passing him a paper over his desk.

"You're dismissed. Good luck."

The paper had his usual clean printing on it, small and clear.

'Sector A: Meet at location provided below. Ask for 'Leilani'. Tell Pax to download package 'KG' onto the system then leave. Try not to gather attention.'

Short and to the point. As per usual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back