Group Roleplaying

Generally speaking, group roleplays go...

• Well in my case.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • averagely in my case

• poorly in my case

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • horribly in my case

• Total voters
@White Masquerade

Honestly, I just want the RP to be successful and continue until completion. I've been a part of encompassing and selective RPs, but they all end via inactivity. I can work with any skill level as long as everyone is working with the best intentions for the group and RP. On the playground, I just want to play the game instead of just talking about it.

I do prefer small group, detailed RPs for various reasons, though. That you are correct. Anything over 5+ is too many for me. When I see RPs asking for 12 people for the zodiacs, I roll my eyes and walk away. I guess throughout the years I've narrowed down what I like and what works for me.

@Circus

Understood. Can't argue with that. At least you know what you want. Saves headaches =)

I do hope you are able to find what you're looking for

Roleplaying in general is fun for me and I am usually up for anything however group RP's happen to be a forte of mine. I love to roleplay with various people although sometimes it can be a bit frustrating, there has been a common theme of certain people not getting along with one another in the OOC and the frequency of posts seems to fluctuate at times. I absolutely despise watching people work particularly hard on their CS and never being responded to, it just seems to be a bit of an imminent downfall.

Not to mention the blatant ability of being ignored, you can post various times and write pages upon pages of context concerning your character however it doesn't guarantee interaction. It has happened quite often enough for me to eventually give up and move on. With that being said, group roleplaying is fun while it lasts.

Group roleplays can be great, though you often have to shuffle through some failures to get to ones that last long. You have to go into them expecting some to not go far, but even those can be used to find others with similar mindsets. One of my longest lasting groups has been going on for over 2 years now working on our second game that has reached a 1 year milestone. We have a few slip out here and there, but the core of the group has kept united, and we even have new people who became part of the group.

You have to really have the mindset of being able to accept that not all group games will work, whether people lose commitment, or people just try and do stuff like power creep. It just comes down to some luck and networking out to people you do contact with who have a similar mindset. If you get that group together, you can find so much to do working off one another that 1 on 1s just can't accomplish.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've actually found something quite interesting with group roleplays.

With the ones I've joined on my original, first roleplay forum, it was common for group roleplays to go on for months and years. I've been part of one that lasted for about 3 years overall, another for 2 and then a sequel, and another for 2 years or so. It wasn't a particularly busy forum, and it was very basic - no notifications or whatever. It was actually mostly intended for use for an adoptables site.

On here, all groups I've joined seem to fall flat pretty quickly. People tend to not reply, then the people who are interested but are left hanging, don't reply, forget, lose interest, etc. I think it may be in part due to the business of the site; there are other distractions if something isn't moving quickly enough. However, 1x1s seem to work pretty well. So there's that.

I think it depends on the forum and its users, really.

AbstractAnnabella said:
I absolutely despise watching people work particularly hard on their CS and never being responded to, it just seems to be a bit of an imminent downfall.
Definitely one of the things I've discovered I don't care for. IMHO though, a group RP with more than, say, 4-5 people in it, really shouldn't expect exquisitely detailed CSes; I sincerely doubt anyone's reading a novel-length thesis about each individual character, they're just looking for plot points so they can make their own RPs more organic to a given situation.
That could just be projection though. I admit that I save all my reading for the IC thread itself. Part of my frustration with big-group RPs is having to sift through a multi-page character sheet thread, then sift through another mountain of text, just so I can finish the sentence, "((MY CHARACTER)) heard stories about ((OTHER CHARACTER)), and thus figured that the best way to get into their good graces was to __________".

As long as I'm not the GM and I know everyone in the group well enough, my experience will be good. There was a group RP which lasted almost 2 years, and all it consisted of was me and about 10 other people I knew.

Outside of that, I've never had any good experiences with group RP. Always devolved into OOC arguments and unnecessary drama. It's a shame too, because a lot of the best ideas I've seen look like they'd work well with a decent group!

I guess I've been pretty lucky with this site as the few group roleplays I've been involved in have been going smoothly, with me making posts at least once or twice a day (though it can get pretty boring over the weekends as people seem to be posting less then) on weekdays. I still look through interest checks and post replies to any roleplay that I find interesting so in case one folds through I'd still be able find another to replace that. I'm also still relatively new to this site so I have yet to be involved in really long roleplays but I hope to see my favorite roleplays reach that status.

And same, I don't read the character sheets of other players either, unless it's obvious information I need. I read what they post in the in-character roleplaying thread and reply to those. It saves me the temptation of metagaming as well, just in case I might accidentally use information that my character shouldn't be privy to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back