TV & Film Great Speeches From Film

Christopher Pyne MP

Giver of fish herpes.
Many a time has a movie speech inspired and provided entertainment, now I ask you ladies and lads of RP nation to provide examples of said speeches.

Whether badass or melancholy, hilarious or villainous, lets post them one and all.

Charlie Chaplin's speech from the 1940 film, the Great Dictator. Charlie Chaplin's plead for humanity at the climax of The Great Dictator is still as relevant today as it was in back when it was made. The opening line of, "I’m sorry, but I don’t want to be an emperor. That’s not my business. I don’t want to rule or conquer anyone. I should like to help everyone" nails it as soon as it starts.

For your reference: Charlie Chaplin : The Great Dictator's Speech

Believe it or not, the message calls out for peace and unity rather than war and division.

Stardust is my favorite movie of all time and this is a quote from it:

Yvaine: You know when I said I knew little about love? That wasn't true. I know a lot about love. I've seen it, centuries and centuries of it, and it was the only thing that made watching your world bearable. All those wars. Pain, lies, hate... It made me want to turn away and never look down again. But when I see the way that mankind loves... You could search to the furthest reaches of the universe and never find anything more beautiful. So yes, I know that love is unconditional. But I also know that it can be unpredictable, unexpected, uncontrollable, unbearable and strangely easy to mistake for loathing, and... What I'm trying to say, Tristan is... I think I love you. Is this love, Tristan? I never imagined I'd know it for myself. My heart... It feels like my chest can barely contain it. Like it's trying to escape because it doesn't belong to me any more. It belongs to you. And if you wanted it, I'd wish for nothing in exchange - no gifts. No goods. No demonstrations of devotion. Nothing but knowing you loved me too. Just your heart, in exchange for mine.

"Someone asked me once if I knew the difference between a civilian and a citizen. I know now. A citizen has the courage to make the safety of the human race their personal responsibility. Dizzy was my friend. She was a soldier. But most important, she was a citizen of the Federation." --Lt. Johnny Rico, 'Starship Troops'.

The movie plays on a lot of political tropes, but it touches upon the choice to be active in this world and make a difference or let the world affect you.

Fight Club had a lot of good moments.

[media]

[/media]
Literally everything V says in V for Vendetta.

Last edited by a moderator:
The famous speech from Independence Day. Oh and the Henry the V speech before that huge battle was pretty good, if you're into shakespearean language.

[media]

[/media]
Everyone focuses on the iconic line, but I think the speech directly afterwards hits home more than a decade after this movie came out. :/

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if it's been said yet or not, but I really love the speech that Bill Pullman makes in Independence Day. Every time I watch the movie, that speech gives me goosebumps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back