Experiences God save the fantasy section.

hey remember when your alcoholic parents would drop you into a crumbling prison full of sociopaths and child molesters for eight hours a day for four years so they wouldn't have to think about you? let's do that again!

I'm tired of all these camp and academy RP's. That are perfectly fine with magical teens and monsters. But the second you bring drugs into the mix they freak out.
Or even better yet, when you use gun and they Dodge a bullet when they're powers are no where near meant for that.
Also I've had my high school. It's not pleasant. Id rather not RP it again. But I've already said all of this.

I'm tired of all these camp and academy RP's. That are perfectly fine with magical teens and monsters. But the second you bring drugs into the mix they freak out.
Or even better yet, when you use gun and they Dodge a bullet when they're powers are no where near meant for that.
Also I've had my high school. It's not pleasant. Id rather not RP it again. But I've already said all of this.
I'm still in "high"school
Help me.

I read through this topic and I want to give my two cents about it.
High-school sucks. There is no second questioning that.

The only way to make High-school easier, is to RP within such setting, where you can forget about your real high school and just go over the boundary. I guess that's why it is so popular. I tried a high-school RP several times - it was boring, it didn't work out. But I think of it as the necessary evil - it just has to exist, mainly because people, who participate in them.

I don't know much about them, but each and every High-school/Academy RP I was in felt as if all characters were representations of the players themselves. Their characters, much like the players (I think, don't claim it is correct) felt to me like social outcasts, people, who didn't get to go to prom with a good looking girl, people, who had not so many friends.

Let me tell you what I think. I think people are reliving their High-school years in those RPs, without the limits of real life.
I think that it's way better for people to do that, than keep it all in, building up negative emotions and end up doing something that we would see all over the late news...

Alright, I know that this doesn't apply to all of them, but this is my personal experiences with School RPs. I'm never doing it again, unless it breaks the current meta and something different turns out. Or at least it's not filled with edgy teens.

You may now hate me as much as you want. I can handle hurtful words from random people around the world, who I do not know...

I think academies should only be a 'hub' that connects players together. The story and its events should be outside of the academy itself.

I'm always confused about these topics. Like, I fully agree. I hate the stereotypical academy or roadtrip-sorta roleplay, with a cast full of angsty, edgy teenagers, all of which are beautiful and perfect and mysterious. It's incredibly boring to me. Same with, you know, the standard fantasy roleplay, with a few dragosn and the old curse, and a king, and elves and all that shiz.

But thing is, I feel as if less than a percent of the people who complain ever make something unique themselves. They may make great characters or have good ideas, but nobody ever runs anything. And when there are some actual unusual or at least non-trite roleplays with good concepts, people don't join, either. I can't recall how many times I've submitted roleplays with twists and unusual elements (stuff that I was legitimately proud of) and the interest just wasn't there, ever. And when I search for stuff myself, nothing's ever there. So I have to wonder: What do people on this site do about it?

I'm now more active elsewhere, and I've not encountered that issue. I find roleplays I find at least intruiging somewhat regularly, and my own pitches generate at least modest interest; enough to run it anyways. Why does that not happen here? Why do we have so many people hating the majority of this site's content (and I'm with you on that, believe me) but never do anything about it?

I'm always confused about these topics. Like, I fully agree. I hate the stereotypical academy or roadtrip-sorta roleplay, with a cast full of angsty, edgy teenagers, all of which are beautiful and perfect and mysterious. It's incredibly boring to me. Same with, you know, the standard fantasy roleplay, with a few dragosn and the old curse, and a king, and elves and all that shiz.

But thing is, I feel as if less than a percent of the people who complain ever make something unique themselves. They may make great characters or have good ideas, but nobody ever runs anything. And when there are some actual unusual or at least non-trite roleplays with good concepts, people don't join, either. I can't recall how many times I've submitted roleplays with twists and unusual elements (stuff that I was legitimately proud of) and the interest just wasn't there, ever. And when I search for stuff myself, nothing's ever there. So I have to wonder: What do people on this site do about it?

I'm now more active elsewhere, and I've not encountered that issue. I find roleplays I find at least intruiging somewhat regularly, and my own pitches generate at least modest interest; enough to run it anyways. Why does that not happen here? Why do we have so many people hating the majority of this site's content (and I'm with you on that, believe me) but never do anything about it?

Because they're not in the majority of this site's demographic and their interests are not all aligned. Hell, the fact that sixty billion of these Academy/Roadtrip RPs pop up regularly with 20+ people joining them a pop should tell you that.

According to my own personal anecdotal evidence, 100% of people who complain are currently participating in non-academy threads, and are therefore contributing to the solution.

I think that's a generalization, but so is calling all academy roleplays bad. For me, personally I was complaining from a (sort of) amateur writer's perspective. I'm trying to do something about these academy roleplays by avoiding them and making my own original content. Sadly, I don't think anything I (or anyone else for that matter) can do will ever slow down these roleplays.

Oh yeah academy roleplays aren't bad btw, it's just supply and demand. If that's what people have fun doing, then that's what they should do. Like who even are we to tell people they're having fun wrong?

I dunno, I just feel the time and effort that gets put into "these rp sucks" threads could be used to instead work and promote the more sophisticated stuff. The last time I've replied to one of these, I offered to create a discord for everyone who was sick of academy shit, so we could find common ground, chat, and come up with unique, indepth roleplays. I got, like, two replies, out of 15+ people bitching. I definitely don't want to accuse anyone in here, I don't know everyone's exact habits, it's just a general pattern I observe a lot of times.

It's just kind of unfair to me sometimes. I spent weeks planning out the world building and writing out the plot for my dystopian fantasy rp, only to have it get about two characters.

Can't even begin to explain how much like a preteen child this sounds. People like things that you don't, oh no! How unfair your idea doesn't get as much attention as someone else's. Funnily enough, one of the world's biggest franchises was a low fantasy, high school series.

Can't even begin to explain how much like a preteen child this sounds. People like things that you don't, oh no! How unfair your idea doesn't get as much attention as someone else's. Funnily enough, one of the world's biggest franchises was a low fantasy, high school series.

What franchise btw?

What franchise btw?

Harry Potter. Though, I suppose just labelling it as high school isn't correct. So, one of the world's biggest franchises was a low fantasy, middle-high school series. Yes, things happened outside of the school, but a majority of it took place in Hogwarts.

Harry Potter. Though, I suppose just labelling it as high school isn't correct. So, one of the world's biggest franchises was a low fantasy, middle-high school series. Yes, things happened outside of the school, but a majority of it took place in Hogwarts.

God, and I'm a huge HP fan, too. Now I just feel stupid, haha.

i wouldn't consider Harry Potter Low Fantasy. i would probably consider it a unique form of Gritty High Fantasy. if you have seen some of the magical effects the Teachers can dish out regularly and the fact the protagonist survived an instant death spell that would have literally killed anybody else in that universe, i would consider those to be pretty high fantasy elements. the fact a wizard or most magical creatures can be killed by bullets, is more of a gritty element than a low fantasy element. the effects are quite potent and used quite frequently like they were merely cantrips or superpowers. these guys aren't casting one magic missile a day, they are casting stupifies for days. plus, there is the fact there are multiple academies dedicated to teaching this stuff.

But it's still considered low fantasy in my opinion due to it taking place in England. Just an alternate England where magic exists. High fantasy, imo, involves creating an entirely fantasy world.

Tbh I probably wrote that while I was tired and sick.
Sleep deprivation does terrible things to the mind.

Looking back at it, the original intent of this thread was to point out how sick I was of seeing academy roleplays dominate all the other roleplays in terms of popularity. It wasn't to say that every one was bad, it was just to say that they're everywhere and I'm getting sick of seeing the bad ones. I like this post https://www.rpnation.com/threads/god-save-the-fantasy-section.326524/page-3#post-7767711. It kind of describes everything and (most parts of it) should be an explanation to what the idea behind this thread was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back