• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Ghost Busters RPG

RobinDenstro

The Overseer
02_1616_SP_Cat_Templates_Ghostbusters_1920_banner_1.jpg

Welcome to the "Coalition Representing Abnormality Prevention" (otherwise known as C.R.A.P.)

Ghostbusters-Banner.jpg

Debrief
At this point, we're sure that you have a lot of questions. Such as, "Why am I here?", "Why does my head hurt so much?", or "Why does it smell like week-old jello in here?"

Though we can't answer every question just yet, what we can say is that what you are currently smelling is something that we call "ectoplasmic ooze." Specifically, ooze from a third tier simulcra-phantasm whom we have promptly called "Itchy." Running into a ghost of this level is not something to be taken lightly... although it's nothing compared to the other creatures we have out there. Get a good whiff of the stuff... because this is a smell you're going to have to get used to, like it or not
Who Are the Players?
Before becoming a member of the Ghostbuster's CRAP initiative, you must have had some kind of experience with ghosts/the paranormal.

Because of this, you were head-hunted, and eventually brought to the CRAP headquarters. Here you will learn the basics of how to become a member of CRAP, and maybe someday, a fully-fledged Ghostbuster.
Mechanics
The game itself will be working off of a simple d6 based system; each character will have a set of main-stats which they will use for a variety of tasks in the world.

The main stats (or MS) are as follows -

Brawn

Brains

Charm

Cool

Agility

As a Ghostbuster, each of these stats start a level of "3." Whenever you make a skill check, you get to roll 3 6sided dice. Rolling a 1, 2, or 3, results in a
failure, whereas a 4, 5, or 6, is a success. Depending on how many successes and failures that you roll, whatever feat you are trying to complete may have ended well, or very, very poorly.

At the beginning of the game, you get to choose
one of these 5 skills to be your "primary skill," and one to be your "weak skill." Your primary skill, whichever it may be, then increases to "4," whereas the "weak skill" is reduced to a "2."
World
The world itself is a continuation of the universe provided after the original Ghostbusters (1984) film.

Years after they fought off Zule, they have a rather large founding within the city of New York; as well as around the world. With the rising knowledge of the paranormal, "exterminators" have arisen outside of just the Ghostbusters, who serve as your own personal competition. Your job, as a member of the Ghostbusters little-league known as "CRAP," is to prove yourselves as reasonable members of the world's #1 ghost-busting team.

But beware; with the rising of Zule comes an unending flow of paranormal and spiritual creatures flowing into our world. What else lies behind the gates of Hell?
Character Sheet

Name:

Personality:

Appearance:

Primary Skill: (Is your character more Brawny, Brainy, Cool, Agile, or Charming? Choose one)

Weak Skill: (Choose one of the above skills as something your character is not so good at (you can't choose the same one as your primary skill)

Catch-Phrase:

Theme Song:

Other/Items/Notable Things:
Rivals
Given that it has been over three decades since the original Ghostbusters saved New York city, that means that others have already taken up the business. Some for money, some for fame. And some, just to kick some ghastly ass. Here's a list of your possible rivals on the field.

Ghostchasers - Notably newer to the ghost-busting world, the Ghostchasers aren't a team that you should be worried about. However, while it's good that they don't have any good publicity, that also means that they don't have any bad publicity. If these kids manage to sweep up a good mission under your feet, they could easily sky-rocket to stardom.

Kreep Killers - Established in 1996, the Kreep Killers are certainly focused more on the money aspect of ghost-busting than anything else in the business. Because of this, they usually have a heads-up over their competition; that being you. If you take too long to respond to a mission, odds are, these guys will be there first.

Rest In Piece - RIP started their ghost-nabbing business back in 1987, making them the first competition that the Ghostbusters ever had to face. Unfortunately, that also means that they are the most experienced. When you see a bright orange van with the letters "RIP" on the side, be wary; these guys know what they're doing.
Capturing Ghosts
TL;DR - Roll 3 6-sided dice to capture ghosts. Roll over their number, and you give em a capture counter. Get enough capture counters, and you can throw out a trap. Capturing a second ghost requires you to make rolls, but throwing the first one into your trap requires no roll. You have TEN health, you have EIGHT armor. When you punch something, you deal ONE damage. With a standard weapon, you do TWO.

READING IS FUN - Capturing Ghosts is not the easiest task. By default, each person is equipped with a standard-issue Proton Pack. Each ghost you come across has their characteristics, but catching them is the same; you roll 3d6 (three six-sided dice), and instead of counting successes, your aim is to get the highest number you can. If you overcome their Ecto-Score, they get a "Capture Counter." Along with their ecto-score, they also have a "Tier," which represents how many counters it takes to capture them.

Be wary! As soon as a ghost gets too far away, or you try to lock on to someone else, all of your capture counters are
GONE!

Once you get to the required number of capture counters, you or an ally can throw out the "trap" in order to capture them. Each person is also equipped with a trap canister; each can only hold one! If you want to capture more than one by yourself, be careful! Though there's no check required to capture your first ghost, capturing another ghost in the same trap has a chance of causing
one or BOTH of the ghosts escaping. When there are multiple ghosts, you simply have to roll over the "Ecto-Score" of the ghost you're trying to trap, and the ghost already inside (but the ghost inside does happen to get a negative, equal to your agility dice to their check).

Each player has a total of 10 health.
TEN. If you run out of health points, YOU DIE. Damage can be caused by corporeal entities in a variety of ways. You have your own armor score of 8 (EIGHT); if an opposing ghost rolls over that number, they get to deal damage to you based on their damage score (which is usually 1).

Finally, when fighting other people, your own damage score will always be
1 (ONE) with your fists, and usually 2 (TWO) with your weapon. Other weapons can do more, but that isn't a main concern. Hitting an enemy with your fist is BRAWN, and your ranged weapon is COOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
RobinDenstro said:
Yeah, sure! Consider your seat reserved.
As well, did any of you wish to verbally reserve a seat within the group? I will happily answer any questions regarding the story, character creation, system, or so forth.

@Stickdom @Silvertongued @Detective Rascal
Actually, I just saw this on my feed and gave it a thumb up to boost your rating, it's a fantastic idea. I'm just not really in the market for another RP at the moment, I'm getting ready to head into a busy season IRL and I don't want to commit to any more RPs than I've already got xD I'll keep an eye on this though, and if I happen to get some free time opened up before you start this, I'll take a slot, but until then I'll just be observing and sharing unhelpful comments :3

Stickdom said:
Actually, I just saw this on my feed and gave it a thumb up to boost your rating, it's a fantastic idea. I'm just not really in the market for another RP at the moment, I'm getting ready to head into a busy season IRL and I don't want to commit to any more RPs than I've already got xD I'll keep an eye on this though, and if I happen to get some free time opened up before you start this, I'll take a slot, but until then I'll just be observing and sharing unhelpful comments :3
No problem! If you ever want to join, feel free to hop in

I'm a little interested. Not sure if I'm going to join just yet, but I'm definitely considering it.

That said, if you could tell me the general premise of the set up you're going for, or the rough idea of the story that'd be pretty cool.

@Silvertongued I tried to set up the story in the overview in world area above. Effectively, the team would start in their own prepping station before being told of a current case down the road. Low key stuff, nothing major, but something that they need to cover. Those who stay in the building would be reprimanded, those who went to the mission location would be faced with a scared pedestrian, so on and so forth. Throughout it, players would be able to make rolls, as I will list out a collection of items that they can choose from. Investigate the house? Ask the pedestrian? Do some research? All are possible options that I will make rather clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back