Video Games Free Games

Some1

Number 1
This thread is about sharing some free games you have found and enjoyed, and for those looking for something to do that do not want to spend any money.

An Untitled Story
anuntitledstory.gif

This is a Metroidvania-style game, with a pretty large world to explore. It is also quite difficult. And the game does not give you any story until you are close to the end of the game, and even then, it leaves you to figure out what is really going on. The game also gives you no direction. You start out as an egg in a nest, and you are given free reign after you fall out. I really enjoyed it, although I got stumped on where to go a few times and had to look up a guide. There are also a ton of secret levels.

The game is playable on computer, and you can download it here

Iji
Iji-Title-No-Text.png

Iji is a shooter-platformer-thing in which you play as Iji, who had just woken up after a few months to find that aliens had invaded and wiped out a good portion of humanity. She learns from her brother. Dan, who contacts her through the intercom system, that her body had been modified with nanotechnology and that she is the only human being who can fight against the aliens. So she sets out to deal with the aliens. The cool thing about this game is that your actions affect the story, which is quite different for a 2D shooter-platformer. Who you kill and how many people you kill change Iji's mindset and how the aliens perceive you.

The game is pretty fun as well. There are a bunch of different weapons to use and a few different stats to invest in. I enjoyed it. It also has a bunch of replayability and a few secrets as well.

OFF
Wiki-background

OFF is a French RPG released in 2003. You control The Batter, who is on a holy quest to purify all three zones. The game takes you through a really bizarre world which is currently being plagued by specters. No one bothers to explain anything, so you are left on your own to figure out what is going on (These games that are left open for interpretation are my favorite if you could not tell). I really enjoyed this game for how bizarre it was, and I highly recommend you to try is out. It is an RPG though, and things can get slow at times. But the developers added an auto-battle function that lets the computer fight for you (And the computer is actually good at the game, although it does not know how to heal for some reason) so if things start to drag you can let the computer go through it for you.

Some of my favorite free games are Roguelikes. The genre's found a bit of mainstream success in recent years thanks to games like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, but its roots extend deep and wide (the genre is named after a game called Rogue from 1980!) and most Roguelikes are still pretty dang obscure.

What actually defines a Roguelike is a point of contention, since a lot of games developed with Roguelike sensibilities don't all have the same feature set. Usually Roguelikes are difficult, turn based RPGs where either death is permanent or you have a limited set of lives, dungeons are randomized, and so is the treasure contained within them. For instance you might find a magic potion in the dungeon that's identified only by its color. Drinking it could heal you, or it could also poison you. So part of the strategy involved in many Roguelikes is identifying your items and finding novel ways to use them.

As you might guess there's a decent amount of luck involved in these games but skilled play can mitigate a lot of it. Personally I'm not really skilled at them but there's something about the genre that appeals to me on a really fundamental level.

Plus I recognize they're definitely not for everyone as the graphics and sound are often primitive or nonexistent (some Roguelikes use only ASCII characters), controls are sometimes non-intuitive, and learning curves can be very high.

Two of my favorite free Roguelikes:

Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup
I haven't actually played this one in a while but it has a nice, fairly modern client with pleasing tile graphics, a tutorial mode to get you used to the game, and other conveniences that many Roguelikes lack.

Tales of Maj'Eyal
Another rather modern Roguelike with some interesting twists like character and class unlocks, a built in chat client, and a skill system. This is probably a nice one for beginners too as it has a tutorial mode as well and the default mode of play gives your character multiple lives with the opportunity to gain more at certain milestones.

ToME does have a paid version but the free version isn't really restricted in many ways so I think it still qualifies as a free game.

Last edited:
Touhou Project
IMG_2572.JPG

The single biggest indie game series of Japan. It's spawned a massive eastern fanbase (yes, even bigger than Kancolle Collection's) and a still impressive, albeit smaller western fanbase. These fanbases combined have made countless unofficial games, music albums, animations, etc. based off of the official series. The official PC game series itself is composed of 18 vertical arcade-shooter games all created by just one guy, ZUN, and 5 fighting games co-produced between him and an indie-game developer named Twilight Frontier. Every official game is available for free digitally on moriyashrine.org, and they don't even need a separate dedicated GPU to run.

Disclaimer: ZUN has expressed that he doesn't mind if western fans "pirate" his games, as he has no intention of localizing them anytime soon and would rather work on new games instead. If you'd like to support him and his work, you can buy any Touhou game that has been officially localized for the west. Most of these are fan-games for PS4 that have either been localized by NIS America or XSEED.

Last edited:
Roblox.
It's freeeeeee...
If ye need help surviving our cancer or with instructions, I'm on there.
SanoSauro.

Roblox.
It's freeeeeee...
If ye need help surviving our cancer or with instructions, I'm on there.
SanoSauro.

R-O-B-L-O-X!

IT'S FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-E-E-E-E-E-E--E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-

We're sorry but theunknown.exe has crashed and has to close

R-O-B-L-O-X!

IT'S FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-E-E-E-E-E-E--E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-

We're sorry but theunknown.exe has crashed and has to close
Sponsored by Cheez-it, in partnership with Domino's Pizza.

Videogame site Rock Paper Shotgun have a regular feature covering free or pay what you want games called Free Loaders

They tend towards the experimental and the quality, length and genre vary a lot but they're all at least interesting.

Project Reality, Hands down. It's slightly tricky to download (You WILL have to deal with torrents and such, I literally prayed I knew what I was doing as to not screwing up my laptop that I am ironically typing this on), but the gameplay outweighs the download method/time. It's one of the most realistic shooters I have played in awhile (next to siege), and it's usually either intense, huge scale Conquest style battles, or Close Quarters Combat. Teamwork is required, but once you know what you want to do in the round it's a lot of fun. The maps are obviously set in the modern day and age, and are quite nationally diverse (You can play as Israel, France, Russia, Germany, Norway I think, US of A, and the MEC, if that means something.) There are also some historical maps set in a few wars that come to recent memory (Vietnam and the Falkland Island war are what I can think of right now).

A major selling point is that you can play as the Taliban, Bootleg Taliban, Chechen Rebels, or Hamas. Yes, you read this correctly. Also, suicide cars. Because realism?

Transformice

It's a cute, fun, online game where you're a mouse and the objective is to get the cheese and return it to the hole. Certain mice are given the power to spawn things and are called shamans; they help you reach the cheese.

It's more fun then said description. xD
But if anyone decides to play it, add me on there my username is Thebestn00b

Pixel may Cry- A game that tests your knowledge about Devil may Cry and Bayonetta, while also being easy to pick up on the first difficulty. PMD (Pixel Must Die) is a real challenge faced with destructive enemies with high hp and damage, and even more unforgiving bosses. Unlocked by beating the 2nd difficulty. (Stuck on Last Miniboss)

Touhou Project
View attachment 297181

The single biggest indie game series of Japan. It's spawned a massive eastern fanbase (yes, even bigger than Kancolle Collection's) and a still impressive, albeit smaller western fanbase. These fanbases combined have made countless unofficial games, music albums, animations, etc. based off of the official series. The official PC game series itself is composed of 18 vertical arcade-shooter games all created by just one guy, ZUN, and 5 fighting games co-produced between him and an indie-game developer named Twilight Frontier. Every official game is available for free digitally on moriyashrine.org, and they don't even need a separate dedicated GPU to run.

Disclaimer: ZUN has expressed that he doesn't mind if western fans "pirate" his games, as he has no intention of localizing them anytime soon and would rather work on new games instead. If you'd like to support him and his work, you can buy any Touhou game that has been officially localized for the west. Most of these are fan-games for PS4 that have either been localized by NIS America or XSEED.

Touhou is the best. The soundtrack is to die for, especially the orchestral versions.

I've been playing this fun little browser game called The End, where you do some platforming stuff and at the end of every level you'll be asked some sort of philosophical question, and it pairs your answers up with famous people's. It's pretty neat.

The Deer God - I got it for free on my Samsung, and it's beautiful. It's a pixelated game with beautiful graphics and backgrounds, calming music, and interesting characters. Also has a rather deep, poetic moral behind it, which I won't spoil c:

Alien Swarm: Reactive Drop- Hands Down the best update made by Volvo. Adds a bunch of maps, Few new weapons, new maps and full out Workshop support.

Oh and also

Lambda Wars- Basically RTS Meets HL2 in a well-made game based of Alien swarm (As it is an alien swarm mod.) It gets frequent updates and it's honestly good to play. One of the better RTSes that are free out there.

Videogame site Rock Paper Shotgun have a regular feature covering free or pay what you want games called Free Loaders

They tend towards the experimental and the quality, length and genre vary a lot but they're all at least interesting.
Gosh yes. I live for new indie content. Live Free, Die Hard was a favourite until Porpentine had to leave.

For my part, I'm all over the Rusty Lake point and click adventures, there are a load of free ones. They have a loose connection, and the devs are building a weird little world of their own, so they're best played in order of release. If nothing else, you get to see how the creators are changing and growing as artists.

And this.
"BIRDLAND
14-year-old Bridget's summer camp experience takes a turn for the bizarre when her otherworldly bird dreams start bleeding into reality. A text game."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back