• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Fortold Heroes {Chromquistador & Sailorsldrhaku}

Sailorsldrhaku

The late afternoon air was heavy with the smells of the feast as the small town celebrated. It was a great festival, a day to celebrate that long ago, evil was driven from the lands. Music radiated through the town, as the people celebrated and played games. In the center of the town, the celebration could be seen growing. The town itself was a bustling trade and mining town, and was said to be one of the best places for weapons. The blacksmiths were always busy making weapons and armor for the kingdoms armies, but today, it was the opposite as work was put on hold for the remainder of the day to celebrate to founding of the town and the abundant mines.

Though one person seemed to linger away from the crowds, the solitary figure of an eighteen year old young woman. She was dressed in a flowing gown of pastel shades, the sheer fabric billowing as she moved, though the solid form of the gown under the sheer colors kept her slender form hidden. The shoulder straps of the dress appeared to be delicate, silver toned straps with polished white stones set along the strand at various lengths. A loose piece of fell around her left upper arm as an off the shoulder sleeve, though it was the only one the dress sported. Despite the gorgeous gown, she seemed to not like the dress much, it was not something she typically wore. Her strange, white hair was tied back and held in place with a silver clasp, her bright green eyes scanned the dancing crowd as the sun began to sink slowly. She found a quiet corner, sipping some ale from an intricately carved drinking horn as she relaxed.

"Mother always picks dresses that draw far too much attention, or ones I cannot fight in..." She grumbled to herself, though she seemed to listen more to the music, humming lightly as she watched the dancing crowd. At least they were all having fun, and there was no reason they shouldn't.

The village had the best harvest they've seen in centuries, and the town was buzzing with the news of various betrothals as well. And to top it off, her family's mine had yielded one of the most abundant veins among the four mines outside of the village. There was another mine that hit a good vein as well, the Coldwater mine, and despite the different mines, there was no rivalry between the four. It was a joyous time, some light in the turmoil the villagers felt they were safe from. But the young woman didn't feel at ease. It was a sentiment shared by her father and many of the town guard. And even though she wasn't visibly armed, she found some comfort in the fact she could spot a few weapons among the jovial outfits that moved about her. Though her thoughts seemed drawn to the north.

In the northern regions of the forest, fearing over the mountain trails, the peaceful air was becoming more foreboding. Soldiers in twisted, dark armor marched behind twisted looking beasts of pure shadows. Any living thing they came across fell to them, swords and claws almost permanently stained red. Their lord wanted these lands, and they would claim what their master desired. Their orders were simple: kill or twist the minds of then men, and capture the women and children from the kingdoms they took. Any nobles who did not ally themselves to him were to be executed.

Spring. Ugh. How he hated the season. Everything in nature was in full bloom; the trees, the plants, the flowers...and with the flowers came bees. And not the docile, stay at the hive kind. The aggressive, multiple stinging kind.

Iago Forsyth crouched down at a nearby blackberry bush, Guillotine in his right hand, as he picked the largest berries he could see and gobbled them up, all the while seething with disdain at the current season. He actually loved Spring, as he did all the seasons, but the bees were just the worst around here. They'd sting and sting and sting and wouldn't stop till you had run a mile. It made hunting and gathering that much harder around these parts, and he had been looking to add a few new furs to his gear.

He laughed lowly to himself. Who would have thought the great Commander Forsyth's biggest problem wasn't an enemy army or an eight foot tall warrior, but a bee? How far he had fallen. It was almost enough to make him head home and just take whatever punishment they had in store, but he already knew why he couldn't. It wouldn't be a punishment; it would be an execution, and his head would be placed on a pike outside the gates of one city or another. He sighed, trying to take his mind off of the past as his hands scanned the bush for the remaining berries.

He must have been deeper in thought than he realized, as he was shaken from his reverie by the loud sound of marching. Curious as to who that would be, Iago stood up and sneakily made his way through the trees of the forest he currently resided in. This part of the continent was one he visited often, as it had some of the finest drinks around, or at least in his opinion. He knew these forests like the back of his hand what with all the time he spent in them. Arriving at the source, he quickly his behind a great oak tree and slowly peeked out. What he saw stunned him for a moment: soldiers! And not just any soldiers; these one's belonged to His Majesty.....his past lingered into his mind again, but he pushed it aside. What in the world were they doing here? And why were they riding these...beasts? In all his years of service, not once had those...things made an appearance. He had a very bad feeling about this....and if they were taking this path, then that would lead then straight to....oh, no!

Quickly summoning all his stamina, Iago sprinted backwards into the trees, effectively taking a shortcut to the closest village around here. This particular village had not seen very much of Iago; He mostly just traded game for coin or food and returned to the forest. There was a chance they wouldn't believe some vagabond such as him, but Iago had to try. They needed to leave before that army razed the village to the ground!

Erupting from the trees into a clearing, Iago immediately made his way to the village, which was in sight now. He pulled his scarf around his face as he approached, the sound of music and laughter filling his ears. Blast! The festival was still going on! They'd be caught completely off guard this way! Honorless curs! Planning on attacking a village during a festival? For shame! Truly, His Majesty's Finest had seen better days. He quickly made his way through the buildings and stopped in the center of the village square, almost out breath as he called out loudly, his deep mighty voice reverberating through the area.

"FLEE! You all must flee, now! Before it is too late! Soldiers come to lay claim to the village! These men are not reasonable! They WILL kill you all if you do not leave now!"

Iago probably wasn't the most believable person to be receiving this news from; some foreign nomad with a weapon that he uses half as a walking stick is telling you to flee from your party because of some soldiers that may or may not exist? Unlikely, yes, but Iago wouldn't have tried to warn them if he hadn't saw them himself. He could only pray the villagers took action immediately at his words.

The young woman was the first to notice someone running into the town square, the furs catching her attention, though she had never been able to place the name of the person who wore them. As his voice rang out, the music slowed and then stopped. While the village wasn’t truly prepared, they still had an evacuation plan in order. But they never thought it would occur during the festival. There was a brief silence before one of the elders spoke up.

“The airships are in the southern tip of the village, I suggest we heed the warning.” The old voice rang out, cracking slightly. “I ask the town guard to insure that all people are aboard the ships.” The elder turned towards the trader that he had seen come to the village on a rare occasion, a stern look in the fading green eyes. “I do not believe you would lie of this, I sense truth in that gaze, young hunter.” Already, people were hurrying to the ships, knowing the elder would not have told them to do so if there wasn’t a reason to.

A lot of the people in the village assumed he was a simple hunter, including the young woman who was now moving through the crowd. Her father already had guards gathering around him, the older man with greying brown hair already giving commands. When he saw the young woman, he seemed to fidget with something at his belt. While her mother had made a fuss about her carrying her sword, her father decided it would be wise for her to have it. And so, he had looped her belt around his slightly, soon handed it and the thin bladed sword that rested in its sheath to her. “Rea, I want you to make sure that no one is left behind. Myself and five men will station ourselves at the northern end of the village. If it comes down to a fight, we fight. I want men at the ships to make sure everyone loads quickly and safely.” As he spoke, the white hairs young woman looped the belt around her waist, wishing she was better dressed for this. But once she had the belt situated, she hurried away from the small group of guards, beginning to make sure no one was left behind.

Within several minutes. The first of the two ships were beginning to rise up into the air, the magical powered machinations deep below the deck allowing what seemed to be a normal ship to lift from the ground. There were two, large circular items on the aft of the ship, port and starboard, the weird mechanical items controlling the speed once in the air. The ships were typically used for trade, though had recently been prepped for evacuation, the families that lived in the village having packed some minor things onto the ship, clothing and money, along with food items, should they have to flee.

Fear filled Iago's chest as he waited with baited breath for their reaction, praying to any gods out there listening to move them along and get out of here. Thankfully, someone did speak up; the village elder, and to Iago's great relief, he told the town to start evacuating. Iago felt like a weight was lifted from him as he met eyes with the elder and gave him a curt nod.

A slight panic ensued as the people of the village scrambled here and there to collect their things and make their way to the evacuation area. For a time, he helped direct people to the airships so that they could start boarding, but he stopped once he heard someone barking out commands to set up defensive positions. Worry filled his heart as he turned and rushed to the man with the fanciest looking armor; hopefully the leader of the few armed men around.

"Please, you must leave! If you stay, you throw your life away! These are no mere bandits; these are men who have trained their whole lives to kill. And that's not all, for the ride beasts I've never seen before! Black as the night, yet....monstrous in form. Please do not sacrifice where it is not needed!"

Though Iago was quite a tad bigger than the man he spoke down to, his eyes were soft and gentle, trying desperately to get this man to understand the true threat before them. Clutching Guillotine tightly in his hand, he spoke once more, his voice tougher and demanding, reminiscent of the days of old.

"If it's a defense you want, then it's a defense you'll have. I'll meet the enemy and buy you all the time you need to evacuate. Please, get you and your men out of here!"

He turned and began running towards the entrance of the village, waving away the few guards who were timidly standing around. His grip on Guillotine grew tighter as he stood there on the grass, the anticipation as to what would come killing him. This would be his first real fight since his desertion; ironic that it would be against the very people he deserted...

Her father stood, listening to this mans pleas, even as his tone changed, he continued to listen. But he and his men had all mad the same oath. If they died to make sure the people of the village could escape, that that would be their fate, but at the same time, if the men were willing to fight, there was no stopping them either.

“Men, to the airships, we’re going to rally and make sure everyone boards!” He shouted out, his voice still commanding. While the sudden change in order did confuse a few of them, the men obeyed, following their captain. Though the white haired daughter was no where to be found.

She was still checking homes, checking hiding places for anyone who may have thought hiding was the best option. A fleeting thought came to her, making her stop. She pulled her sword out, using it to cur the skirt to a shorter length. Her leather boots were easily seen now, along with the tight, dark pants she managed to sneak under the dress. Sheathing her sword again, she could move more freely, faster as she hurried along.

As the crowd began to dwindle down to almost nothing, her father began to address the guard. “I will not force you to stay, I will not force you to fight, but I am going to see if I can get that hunter to come to the ships, any men who wish to board, board now, any man who wishes to come with me, may come. But I am not allowing anyone to die for the sake of this town.” He told them, his voice was strong, though held a kindness. While the stranger wasn’t one of the village. He was still a resident of the area.

As he began to run back towards the northern entrance of the town, six of his men followed him, knowing if a fight did break out. It was better to have the numbers on their side, even if it wasn’t a real advantage. “Stranger!” The guard captain stopped at the entrance, standing tall. “I gave the choice to my men, but we offer you the same, come with us, we still have time to get to the remaining ship.” Her father had that commanding voice again, somewhat fatherly as he realized his daughter was still in the town somewhere.

“Boris, go find my daughter and make sure she gets to the ship, and for her, that is an order.” He spoke to a man who carried a large great sword, similar in age to him, though not even he could hide the worry from his friend. His daughter may be one of the best fighters they have. But he didn’t want her facing an enemy like the one he described.

The anticipation before any battle was always the worst part for Iago. He knew what was coming; It was only a matter of time before he would have to face them again, and learn just what His Majesty had in store. He had confidence in his abilities, though it has been years since he had seen combat. Should he fall in battle, he would have only one regret.....

His thoughts were interrupted by someone calling him from behind, and he turned to see, his grip still tight on Guillotine. His eyes fell upon the old captain he had spoken to earlier. He told him that he too, should evacuate. Underneath his scarf, Iago smiled, and a small laugh could be heard from him.

"With all due respect sir....this has become more of a matter with a personal nature. I have questions that need answers. You should leave once you have found any stragglers."

Speaking of stragglers, the old man turned to a guard and told him to find his daughter. Iago raised an eyebrow, but it could hardly be seen with his wolf hood. The captain's daughter is missing? Sounds like the beginning of a novel. He shook his head, trying to clear his thoughts so he could focus on the coming battle.

"I suggest you hurry and find your daughter. When they arrive, they'll kill indiscriminately. No man, woman, or child is safe."

Giving the captain one more nod, he turned and continued watching the road, Guillotine's hand stuck into the dirt below, and was gripped as if it was a long walking stick.

A personal matter? The older man raised an eyebrow, wondering what this stranger had gone through in his past. But for now, he would respect his wishes. “My men and I won’t be backing down, we will be at the airships until Boris brings my daughter, if you need to fall back. We will make sure you get on the ship.” The older captain was a caring man, though he was also a warrior. He and the men fell back to the ship, unaware of just how close the enemy was.

Coming from between some buildings was a small child, running and crying about his lost cat in the woods. Behind the young boy was the white haired young woman. Boris was no where to be seen, having checked in the opposite end of the village for her first. Quickly, she noticed the first sign of an enemy, and an arrow being knocked. She sped up, her hair seemingly glowing faintly, though it could of been a trick of the moonlight.

Her sword was in her hand, skidding to a stop as she grabbed the child and pivoted, raising the blade. The arrow bounced off it, her eyes narrowing. She couldn’t fight with the child, and she began running back to the buildings with the child in one arm. This was a bad situation to be in.

At the ships, her father and his men were guarding the last ship, waiting for Boris, Rea, and the hunter, should he join them. But even the old captain was doubtful, his main worry laying with his daughter. He could not stand the idea of losing her, even if she had chosen the life of the sword.

The creatures let out a sickening, twisted roar and they and their riders began to emerge from the forest, the sound reaching the ears of the guard and the young woman with the child she carried. Boris seemed to run faster, finding her as she began heading to the ship. “Your father wants you on that ship.” The older man told her, a bit out of breath.

Iago was a little touched by the man's words. Back home, there were very few men who would willingly stay behind for the sake of others, their own safety not even crossing their minds. He could respect this man, if only for his bravery. He gave the man a curt nod, then went back to patrolling the area, looking for anything even remotely looking like a soldier.

His patrol was interrupted rather fast by a nearby scream; high pitched, and short. Possibly a child. He rushed through the village and towards the source. There, an old guard stood next to a child that was being held by an...odd looking girl, to say the least. He had been to this village a dozen times, and while they were short visits, he had never seen this girl before. Her hair was long, longer than he had ever seen, and was as pure white as fallen snow. A sword was at her hip, but her attire is what confused him the most. It looked like it was part of a dress, but the bottom half had been ripped away and exposed, revealing a large pair of boots.

The guard was desperately leading the pair away from the edge of the forest, and without their notice it seemed, a pair of those black monstrosities emerged from the trees, and their riders spurred them forward. Thinking quickly, he rushed past the trio and met one of the riders head on. The beast itself lunged forward with a bite, but Iago was able to dodge last minute, twisting his body while moving sideways to avoid it, only to have to bring his axe up to block the sword of the rider. After a moment's struggle of power, Iago pushed him off and quickly slashed up at him. Guillotine found it's mark, and the head of the rider fell to the ground, his beast moving with it. He turned to the group and gave them a quick, loud command.

"Get to the airships! GO!"

The second rider approached, and Iago swung his axe defensively so that the beast would not lunge. He kept this up, moving the beast and it's rider backwards and keeping their attention on him as he tried to buy the three villagers time to escape.

Rea took notice of the stranger as he rushed to stop the two riders. They young woman finding herself in thought. Boris could almost tell what she was thinking and grabbed her arm. “Your father wants you on the ship, and that’s an order young miss.” He told her, more concerned than stern. While even he knew how skilled she was, he knew a fathers worry was stronger. And he didn’t want to see anything happen to the young lady either.

More sounds rang out from the forest, the same twisted sound those mounts had made before giving chase to her and the child. The noise only made the young boy cry more, clinging onto the young woman who carried him still. He was scared, crying for his father and mother now. “Shhh... Sigmund, we’re going to get you to the airship and to your parents.” The young woman whispered softly as the three hurried along through the village. Though even she couldn’t deny her worry. She didn’t want to leave that stranger to fight those things by himself, it didn’t feel right to her. It was almost as if something was telling her, pulling her to go back. Once more her hair seemed to give a faint glow, noticed by the child.

“Miss Rea’s hair can glow!” The child seemed to find it exciting, momentarily breaking the fear he felt as they approached the group of guards standing at the ships gangplank.

“Now now Sigmund, It was just a trick of the light, moonbeams.” Boris said, not believing the child, having not witnessed her hair giving off that glow. Rea sat the child down, watching as he hurried up the gangplank and onto the ship.

“Father, I will not stand here while someone fights those things alone.” Rea was speaking to her father calmly, watching as the older man smiled faintly, and then laughed at the state of her dress.

“Your mother won’t be happy when she sees what you did to that dress, and we are not going to leave him behind. But we can’t linger too long either. He has a window, if he comes, we can get him onto the ship.” Her father spoke calmly, ushering her up the gangplank now. “But I am not going to let my daughter fall to these enemies.”

Last edited:
(Sorry for the delay, I had a lot of holiday crap to deal with.)

Iago felt the years of training and muscle memory return as he swung his axe to and fro, driving the black beast back with each swipe. He drove it to the ground and brought his axe down swiftly onto it's head, but he didn't pause to view his handiwork, as he turned his attention to its rider, which was now charging him with a warcry. Iago rolled his eyes; must be new, if he really thinks screaming like that is going to help somehow. The rider raised his sword above his head, ready to throw it downwards, but Iago smacked his face with the pommel of his axe, and the rider fell back to the ground. With another stomp, he was out cold, which meant he might be able to be interrogated later.

But the forest shook again, and more creatures and their riders emerged. Iago scowled; just how many of these were there!? He lifted Guillotine up and prepared to charge, but suddenly found himself on the ground, one of the black beasts and it' rider on top of him. How in the world did something that large get the jump on him?! The beast opened its jaws wide and snapped down at him, and Iago only had a second to bring the handle of his axe up and let the beast bite down on it. The two fought over leverage as Iago lay pinned on the guy, the two powerhouses of different species locked in a struggle, while other riders began to encircle him.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back