• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
OOC
Here
Characters
Here

Paris

MEGA COLLAB WITH
Danidify Danidify

Paris had split from Lily with a knowing look as they entered the ball. He had to respect the woman’s priorities, though he knew they would realign at the bar soon enough; for him, however, there was a sacred order to a night out that even now would he be loath to blaspheme against. He’d pay homage first to the altar of wine, and, by the shining light of his virtue, Lily would even have a drink waiting for her when she arrived. Wasn’t he a saint?

And oh, how the very air tasted like money.

Paris ran his tongue over his teeth in slow relish as he stepped deep into Harrogate’s dizzying arms, quick-roaming gaze made discreet by the arching, narrow eye-slits in his mask, lashes just brushing the rims of satin gold that swept upwards into swan’s wings splaying fine golden feathers skyward at both temples. Never had he seen such a stage before. No cast has ever been so decadent. For the first time in his life Paris revelled in this feeling of striking anonymity, mystery, even, this sensation of many eyes upon his back as he smoothly parted his way through the crowd towards the bar. His profile would be a mystery to them, he knew, his stride unfamiliar. It was odd to him, too, this utter anonymity - but in that moment? He liked it. He knew them well, after all, he knew their type; he was a deft hand at schmoozing with the rich. It was a rigged game. He held the cards here, and they would soon come to know it too.

A flash of crimson moved in his periphery high above him as he walked, and Paris looked up to lay eyes upon what could only be the hostess herself. It was as clear as day - even a fool could tell, let alone someone like himself, and for that he had to admit quite the admiration. It took a rare sort of individual to hold that kind of presence. As he watched her for a moment upon the balcony, a plan was already crystallising his mind. With a woman as uncommonly striking as that, he would simply have to go and experience it for himself. Why would he aim for anything but the top of the hierarchy? Once his own priorities had been taken care of, no less - he, Claudius Guildford, would indulge himself first.

Aha.

It was an incomplete illusion, of course. The crowd shifted for a moment to reveal a glimpse of the bar and the two familiar figures that waited behind it, blonde and brown, Lotti and Julius; it came as a stark reminder that a few of the creatures of this jungle were merely props. Painted house-cats amongst jaguars. Only he could see their forgery, just as much as they could see his. They knew his real name. He felt a passing flutter of bitterness then that the fantasy would never be realised in full that night, that he was not entirely free - to a few, he was still - always - Paris. But the gap reappeared again, closer now, and all such thoughts vanished. He could see clearly now where Julius’s hands were set to work polishing glass, and it was all Paris could do to not burst into laughter there and then. He bit down on his tongue with the effort, trying to stifle the sound in his throat. Here he was, dressed like a god, and Jules was stuck behind a bar in an inferior little outfit and at the beck and call of every soft and signet-lined finger in the Midlands. Better yet, his would soon join them. Glorious insult upon injury.

He slid past the last line of the crowd that separated the fine bubble of open floor surrounding the bar from the rest of the room, walk slowing to an arrogant drift as he came to claim the gap beside a blonde man seated to his right. He moved past Lotti and the dark spray of spilt wine with only a glance, practically stepping over her as she swept. A ring indented with a sapphire the same rich midnight as his suit - once Lavina’s, and how he sang silent worship upon her memory tonight - glinted upon his index as he rapped an elegant knuckle twice on the bar-top, leaning one elbow upon it as if he was the proprietor himself, deftly flicking his tails back with his free right hand to slip two fingers into his trouser pocket to rest. He didn’t even feign a greeting as his eyes locked themselves upon Julius. The crowing was as clear as day. All queues and pleasantries bypassed with utmost flagrancy, he merely flashed a brilliant smile that screamed I dare you to be mad about it, one that assumed and graciously accepted forgiveness for such forward behaviour as he summoned the Medium over with a slight beckon of the finger.

“Two champagnes, darling.” As fate would have it, a telltale neck of black-green glass and gold foil high upon the shelf had caught his eye. His voice dropped to an almost indulgent purr. “The Moët.

What luxury in an open bar. He had to hand it to the hostess; truly, no expense had been spared, at least in her lining of the top shelf - looking at Julius, perhaps he couldn’t quite say the same for the quality of the staff selection. Now that is funny. Inwardly, he shrugged. He hadn’t a clue how Dianium had managed to wrangle them into this event, but he most certainly wasn’t complaining. When soon presented with such an unmatched choice of drink, he very much doubted Lily would either.

Wow.

Just for a second, it seemed like Julius - so great, so gracious - had found a moment of shameless humility. His task aligned perfectly with his ‘minimalist perfection’ workstyle, invigorating him with the peace and dedication to rub old glasses with soaked rags and to prepare gluttonous drinks for the greedy. For just that short time, it felt so eerily serene.

But then that had to show up.

Though nothing likely seemed out of the ordinary, Julius felt like he was pulled right into a stand-off, the gun that was his eyes filling with ambition as they aimed right at their target. No mask in the world could ever hide that massive, bloating ego.

Not to lie, there was a glimpse of frustration boiling from within, an emotion fueled by the remnants of envy and annoyance he had felt when his chance at entering his one true habitat had been given to an ungrateful beast. It was, dare I say, almost enough for Julius to crack.

But a great actor never breaks character. Weakness becomes a strength.

Instantly, the Seance became battle ready, a signature blend of confidence, passion and playfulness shifting his face into the most impish of expressions. He was more than ready for that first attack, and more than ready to win.

“Two champagnes, darling. The Moët.

That sickening tone, that vile attitude, that degrading choice of words- it was like a bullet to the leg! But no, this wouldn’t be enough for him to surrender. He had to stay composed. There was no alternative. He was in it for the long con.

“What a splendid choice, mon chéri.” Julius responded earnestly, bringing two out of the ten words of French he had picked up on over the days. He wasn’t about to let himself be degraded to some posh twit’s ‘darling’ without retaliation.

“Dare I ask out of curiosity, what inspired this dazzling outfit? Was it a dove? A duck? Or- I know it’s silly, but- perhaps an octopus of sorts?”.

There it was, his first true blow. Camouflaging somewhat thanks to the attention drawn by Paris’s fellow blonde simpleton, the words flew out with no hesitation, wings spread with pride.

Having grabbed the bottle in the meantime and successfully opened it, Julius brought out two glasses, placing them right in front of Paris’s infuriating face before getting to pouring. Needless to say, this was a moment to be a little ‘sloppy’, to let one’s hand ‘accidentally’ slip a bit and mess up the proportions of what would normally be passable. In good fashion, Julius also took the liberty of spicing this drink up a little, overtly adding a whiff of pure vodka into one of the glasses. Now, would he give this damned drink to his companion, or suffer from it himself? The petty social dilemma was in place.

“There you go, good sir! Enjoy the party.” Was Julius’s simple ending. Sliding the two glasses forward while two jestery eyes waved Paris goodbye.

French? How cute. Paris even turned slightly towards him, tilting his head, a reply just at the edge of his lips before Jules’s next words sent it straight to it’s shrivelling death.

Perhaps an octopus of sorts?

It was as if the world blanched around him. His face didn’t move - imperceptibly stiffening, even - but Paris felt suddenly ill. His body flushed with prickling cold. The one thing. His eyes flickered to his side for a moment, tensely assessing the chance of it having been overheard, though finding it mercifully slim; all warmth had melted away from them by the time they returned to Julius. It left his fixed smile chilly, stare flat. A vindictive flash twisted deep through his stomach, throat tight. This veneer, this happy bubble, as it seemed now, had been consummately broken - this nauseating reality restrained so deep within his mind that he’d forgotten entirely for just one blissful hour tore the gauze as it bit back down suddenly and painfully and hard. Trust Jules to know how to ruin a joke. It occurred to him then that many a retaliatory sin could be excused under the guise of a performance such as his that night. But as gratifying as the sudden vision of him grabbing this ‘bartender’ by the collar, dragging him up over the bar in a shower of liquor and broken glass and hurling him to the wine-stained floor behind him was as it swept unbidden through his mind, he was forced to remind himself of the limits of his current station - his station - but how ugly, how flimsy it now felt. It had taken five ignorant words to ice his spirits over entirely.

Don’t think about it.
Just don’t think about it.

He tightened his fist until the inner edge of his ring dug hard into his flesh. But Paris was almost successfully distracted, just then, by Julius’s bizarre pouring of the drinks; it half-snapped him out of it as he watched them fill, bemusement sharply rising as - right before his eyes - the man blatantly spiked one with vodka.

Huh?

He considered it blankly for a moment. Was Julius attempting to one-up him by being.. Bad at his job? Not only that, but if he thought that this strengthened drink was something that he couldn’t handle - him, Paris - then his judgement of his tolerance was absurdly wide of the mark. It was laughable. He hadn’t been such a lightweight since he was an adolescent. Perhaps he should even thank him for making his time at the bar all the more efficient. Plus - the abrupt, petty normality of this gesture breathed subconscious relief into the grip of ugly feeling that had been tightening in his chest. It was an about-turn diversion he didn’t care to examine, taken fast and blindly with both grateful hands as he shifted, quickly reanimated, eyebrows raised behind the golden mask as he made a derisive tsk of tongue on teeth.

“What a waste of good champagne.”

He snatched up the stem of the adulterated glass with three practiced fingers, staring directly into Julius’s eyes as he tipped it back, not even so much as blinking to break eye-contact as he drained it in one. The taste had indeed been blunted by the stronger burn of spirits. It was a criminal act, vandalism, even - he hadn’t expected such crudeness from a man he’d at least assumed to hold some respect for one of the finest champagnes in all of Britain. Perhaps Jules was simply jealous enough of the fact that he was not the one with the opportunity to drink it that he had to ruin it for Paris, too. Dear me. He'd be seeking him out later. He placed it back down on the wood with enough force to make it heard, sliding it back towards the pretend barman in equally petty triumph, challenge glaring, smile mockingly saccharine.

“Be a dear.” And with a glance to his right, his voice shifted. It became genial, sympathetic, almost, suddenly now about Julius and unmistakably addressing the blonde man beside him instead. “I suppose his defective eyesight is no fault of his own, poor thing, but you would’ve thought the hostess would’ve taken more care with her choice of staff to make this worth our time, don’t you think? No wonder the floor is still unclean. Service was better in France, of all places.”

Paris had quickly assessed him amongst the other patrons as he’d arrived, but he’d taken the liberty of doing so again. A skilful once-over so swift it was hardly visible and he had already decided that not only was he more tastefully dressed than this man - the same red as the host, how garish - but he was also funnier. And blonder. Still. Why not scout out the competition while he waited? Perhaps, he mused, he even knew something about their lovely hostess.

The sway of battle was an unpredictable one; ever changing and ambiguous to the root. One second, you think you’re marching to victory without effort, the other you’re getting pulled into the abyss of defeat by a marine mutant.

It wasn’t all too often that Julius had the blessing - or curse, more befittingly - of meeting someone that could rival his being. As such, he had made his move thinking it would be a one hit KO, a swift defeat for a fleeting little swan and his undoubtedly agitating plans. Sadly though, this battle would prove to not be as easy as expected.

‘Intense’ was probably the best way of describing whatever this sensation was. At first, Julius’s eyes continued to glisten with impish pride, but as the glass of vodka champagne emptied more and more, that glance gradually turned into one akin to a deer in headlights.

And it wasn’t even the end of this horror.

The pretend bartender had never been shot, but he could imagine that this verbal torture was what it would roughly feel like. A domineering ache festered from within, blending in with a shot of helplessness much like the Champagne had welcomed the graceless Vodka. Had his jests truly been deserving of this much backfire? Had he crossed a line, or was Paris just truly a demon in disguise?

Reluctantly, Julius took back the now empty glass of champagne, his hand tensing up around the fragile glass as it was retrieved. Caught off guard by the sudden inclusion of none other than blabbering blondie #2, the humbled operative found himself silenced with no idea how to properly respond. A sheepish smile was all that he could muster for the moment, for minimizing his losses seemed to be the best decision for him to make right now.

While Julius had been sent into a comatose state by frustration and agony, An intrigued expression perked up on the face of Paris’s double. Another chance for attention had appeared.

“Couldn’t agree more with you, chap. They promise us sensation and spectre, but instead we’re greeted by this ghastly face. No offense, doll.” Leo would respond, shamelessly talking down on the faux housekeeper, Lotti, before turning his attention like nothing had happened.

“You know, you look like a man who can appreciate real quality.”

The fellow blonde slid into his pockets as his +1 looked over their shoulder, her gaze much less confirming as that of her companion. It didn’t seem like she was interested in mingling in this conversation, however, for she swiftly went back to drinking.

While he pulled out a small business card of sorts and slid it across the table, Leo followed up on his proposal.

“I run a gentleman’s club down south. You should visit! Maybe make some connections with people of your calibre rather than wasting time on, well-”

Leo chuckled, eyes gazing past the staff beyond the counter. Had this been another setting, Julius would’ve decked him, and rightfully so.

“Sorry to interrupt your little bonding moment, but your drink is ready, sir.” Julius placed all of his weight behind that last little world, his tone tearing away any of the respect that would normally be associated with said word. It probably wasn’t clever to be petty in a moment like this, but self restraint was not a friend of his.

Paris took the proffered card from the bar with barely a glance, tucking it neatly into the inner breast pocket of his jacket with a sly growing smile as his eyes followed the line of Leo’s gaze to land once again upon Julius. He hummed in agreement as the other laughed, the both of them watching this unlucky bartender in joint amusement, and Paris decided there and then that he very much liked this wonderfully arrogant stranger.

“Mm. Lippy one, isn’t he?” he mused to his neighbour in dry accord, eyes still on Jules. He slid his second drink back towards him. Who would’ve known he’d happen upon such a kindred soul quite so early into the night? After all - there was nothing like a shared hobby to bring two men together. Take taunting Julius, for example.

“Anyhow, make sure to stop by if you’re ever in the area. I’m Leo by the way, pleasure is all yours!” The vibrantly dressed man would, once again, laugh at his own remark, before shifting his attention back to his companion.

Paris gave a peal of only mostly fake laughter, politely genuine to any other ear; he liked this Leo character, make no mistake, so he’d play along. He’d allow him to believe he was the most interesting and talented man at the bar, however woefully deluded the notion.
“Most certainly. Claudius Guildford, though you, my friend, can call me Claude.” The name rolled as smoothly off his tongue as if he had truly been born with it. “In fact, yours shall be the first I visit once I’ve, ah, extracted myself from the clutches of my darling cousin. She missed me so terribly during my time in Paris that she simply had to drag me along to the first party on the calendar.”

He leaned in a little closer in mock conspiracy.
“To you, I’ll even admit - I’ve been out of the country so long that I don’t even know the name of this evening’s host.” Paris gave a little self-effacing laugh, the implied half-plea, half-question below it laid bare. “Embarrassing, no?”

Lippy one.

Lippy.

Godforsaken.

One.

As if the tragedy of such a filthy denomination wasn’t enough, terror guest Leo added fuel to the fire with a loud laugh that reeked of genuine amusement. At this point, the joy of teasing his junior had wavered, and all Julius could wish for was some peace and quiet from this unfair massacre. One day, he would get his revenge.

Leo listened earnestly to what left his like minded friend’s mouth, making a plethora of vibrant ‘yes, I’m listening’ expressions befitting of his stature as a businessman. As ‘Claude’ leaned in, so would he, moving back away once the message had worked its way into his system.

Following a quick chuckle of politeness to the closing remark, Leo would swiftly do what he’s best at: talking and judging.

“Mmm, you’ve got a taste for challenge, I see. I can respect that, Claude.” He’d utter proudly, immediately assuming that this sudden interest in the hostess was of romantic nature.

“For what it’s worth, I believe no one has the pleasure of knowing her name. They like to keep things mysterious around the place, I’ve noticed. Probably has to do with that whole paranormal, ancient feel or whatever they’re trying to keep alive.”

He’d take a quick swig of his beverage before swiftly returning to his grand hobby.

“Well, if you ask me, they could use a bit more showmanship. I mean- come on, a ghastly painting only gets you so far. At least put in some- I don’t know, actors or traps to keep things exciting, you know? Anyway-”

Leo would lean in much like Paris had done before, lowering his voice slightly in preparation for what he would go on to say.

“If I were you, I’d go pay her a visit up top on the second floor. Spotted her up there not too long ago, unaccompanied.” Leo went on, emphasizing the last word to further clarify his suggestion.

“Who knows, maybe you’ll find out more than just a name, ey?” The now gleefully giggling young man jabbed his shoulder into Paris’s side a couple times before returning back to his relaxed position, taking a swift retrospective look over his shoulder to see that his companion had most certainly caught onto the ordeal and was now glaring in tenfold.

Even Paris’s eyes widened a fraction as he listened to Leo speak. Dear God, he actually felt a twinge of frustration that they had to meet like this - under a guise, a fake name - and not face-to-face out in the real world. This man was exactly the kind of fun and fair-weather acquaintance that Paris had once surrounded himself with, now made so lamentably scarce by his current.. situation. He felt almost nostalgic. The invitation was there - the temptation was sweet. But he certainly couldn’t be bothered to keep ‘Claude’ alive forever, didn’t even want to start, more importantly; would his deception be forgiven once revealed? He’d find some cover for it, undoubtedly, but somehow his gut still said no regardless. Damn. Still - he waved the thought on by to be shelved. He had his card. That was all he needed. Perhaps he’d put his mind to it some other time.

His smile broadened back into brilliance as the words poured forth, with them the abundant realisation that he’d stumbled upon a goldmine. A 'paranormal feel’, a ghastly painting - my, my. The laugh that followed as he was playfully jostled was practically genuine. He felt a flash of smug vindication as he thought back to C’s words in the carriage. Fooling around indeed. With this little discovery of his, he was undoubtedly now the one carrying the operation.

And for that, he deserved a reward.

Oh, he’d embrace Leo’s suggestion. He was in the mood for a dance, hostess or not. Paris cocked an eyebrow, eyes flicking for a moment to the aforementioned second floor, returning to the man before him with a glint of anticipation.

“A bad habit of mine, certainly.” It was undoubtedly the only truthful admission of the evening so far. He straightened from his lean against the bar, pulling his jacket into place, thoughts already beginning to march on to further things. “Well - you, Leo, are a man of astounding insight. And if you’ll so excuse me, I might just have to take you up on it.”

He glanced past him, seeing the look of Leo’s dark-haired companion, remembering for a moment his own pretend cousin - he leaned in briefly, voice low and wicked. “Let’s hope that I’m forgiven, hm?”

Paris took a last look at the bar as he stepped back, weighing up for a second the spare glass of champagne. Ah, who cared? He'd already had enough of waiting. Lily would survive ordering her own. He picked it up, knocking it back almost like a shot, uncaring of the looks this almost crude familiarity with drink might garner him. He shot a pointed look at Julius as he placed it back down. Painting. Got it? You’re most welcome.

With that, Paris was gone, swallowed whole by the crowd at the base of the stairs. He’d let the rest of them figure it out. He now had far more important matters to attend to, after all.
coded by reveriee.

STAFF | SUBTLE GET-TOGETHER

with Skawly Skawly and Pipsqueak Pipsqueak

0.1 EDDIE
It didn’t take long until the greedy guests had gotten their fill of drinks. Unfortunately, this left only two more full glasses of what Eddie assumed was extremely expensive wine. The thought of spilling some of it didn’t do much for his nerves. One wasted drop would probably equal $50 on its own. Grimacing at that fact, Eddie still strained to listen to the two women as they spoke. Although there were only a handful of people here on the second floor, their voices managed to drown most of what was said. Still, Edmund managed to pick up some of the conversation.

“Miss, we’ve f----shed our preper----- --r the aft---ty.”

“Very well,” the hostess replied briefly, “No hu----- ---s time around?”

The conversation was brief and went on like this for only a few minutes before the two broke away again. The odd woman with the strange herbal scent that Eddie now identified as Lia made her way back into the room she appeared hastily from. Glancing around the room again, nobody really seemed to be paying attention to him or that mysterious door. Eddie wondered how people could possibly get through life safely while being so tunnel-visioned. It was quite worrying indeed, but nothing he could do about it at the moment.

The psychic took this moment to try and slip into the guarded room Lia had just went back into. There had to be something important in there if she had returned. As soon as Eddie was only a step away from the doorway though, the masked guard shifted to block him.

“Ah, excuse me sir. I must head in there to retrieve the housekeeper. A friend of mine just informed me that there has been an accident involving shattered glass and no maid in sight.” He watched the guard carefully, but his plea did nothing to move the man.

‘So it’s like that then.’ Eddie thought in quick defeat. Giving an apologetic nod, he moved away and swiftly headed back downstairs. There seemed to be nothing more for him on the second floor, so reporting what he had heard was the next move. Julius and Lotti still meandered around the bar, and suddenly a thought came to him. Walking slowly up to the bar, Eddie waved down Julius.

“I was told to inform you that it’s your break.”

0.2 JULIUS
Being a bartender isn’t an easy task, especially when you have little to no interest in actually doing the job.

As if surviving the absolute terror that is Paris in a position of power hadn’t been enough torture, Julius was offered yet another headache when more guests and waiters started coming to the bar. It was a real hassle, truly, and he didn’t know how to get through it without his dysfunctional friend: alcohol.

Before Julius could get on with drinking himself into a comatose state, an angelic voice came with just the most wonderful, ethereal news on earth: it was time for his break! For just a minor second, the pretend bartender overflowed with the ecstasy of freedom, only to have it all taken away in a flash when he looked up.

Laying disappointed eyes on Edmund ‘Brows’ Belmore, the seance was struck not only by the pain of his fleeting faux break, but also the sheer agony of Eddie’s disappointing attempt at an incognito interaction. He gave a snide look to the side, sighing in relief at the sight of no one catching onto this inquiry. Fortunately, the only earnest staff member in the area seemed to be busy.

“Let me fill that tray up for you mate. Can’t have you walking around with empty plates now, can we?” Julius would utter nonchalantly, grabbing a piece of paper and a pencil in the meantime.

Deciding to save his superior antics for when there was actually an important crowd to entertain, Julius simply walked himself to the edge of the bar, signalling Eddie with a nod that would hopefully suffice.

“So, any special requests from the crowd up top?” He would continue, hoping that Eddie would catch on to his attempt of sharing a bit of information. As a safety measure, Julius had taken some precautions while speaking, writing a little message on the piece of paper before sliding it to Eddie alongside the pencil.

The message read “No trouble here, you?” - short but concise. It was admittedly a tad dangerous not to use a couple of ambiguous metaphors in order to mask the true meaning, but he wasn’t really counting on anyone else to catch onto it. Besides, it wasn’t like he revealed the entire masterplan of Forteans anyway.

0.3 EDDIE
Eddie watched as Julius’ excitement quickly wound down to disappointment as he realized it was only his teammate. The psychic couldn’t help but give him an apologetic look as Julius came to greet him.

“Ah, no special requests per say but-“ He subtly motioned Julius to come closer so as not to let his partner in crime overhear. Eddie leaned against the bar casually as Julius started refilling his tray slowly. In response to the note, he slightly shook his head. It was fairly safe on the second floor as well, save for the somewhat ravenous guests. How anyone could be so eager to get alcohol he would never understand.

“Are you working the bar during the after party? I believe I’m getting my break then, so I’m quite excited. I heard Lia and the hostess talking of it. They’re planning something special apparently, so I do hope I don’t miss anything! Have you spoken to Lia recently? She smells oddly of herbs. Sometimes I wonder what that girl gets up to behind closed doors. Bit of an oddball, wouldn’t you say?”

Eddie mentally apologized to the young lady for the insult, but it was necessary.

“I heard Vee and Mr. A are helping out as well. I hoped to get a peak of whatever they were planning up there, but the door was guarded and I wasn’t allowed in there.” He put on an excited smile for the show, then grabbed the paper and pencil.

Get Lotti. He sneakily shifted the paper back over to Julius.

“If you don’t mind, these are the drinks I’ll need. I forgot I did have a few requests.”

0.4 JULIUS

It was truly a pleasant surprise to see Eddie catch onto the jist and go with the flow accordingly. The complexity he worried about seemed to be avoided, which was certainly a good thing given that Julius wasn’t really aiming to spend excess energy.

Listening with abnormal alertness, Julius toyed around with some bottles and glasses as he tried to come off as cool as possible. Though he was listening, he made sure to stay busy since he, for once, didn’t want to catch the eyes of any peeping toms.

The new intel was cryptid, admittedly, but fascinating nonetheless. Two things stood out at first: the after-party that no one had bothered to tell him about, as well as the mentioning of a weird herb girl by the name of Lia.

Before the Seance got a chance to process what had been shared, even more information came flooding out of Eddie, including two more names that did nothing but confuse the poor bartender. Truth be told, Julius was somewhat proud yet equally annoyed by the fact that Eddie had managed to bring in this much intel, while he himself had just been quarrelling with other staff members and- well, Paris.

Was the information salient? Certainly. But was it useful? Well, he didn’t really know. Though a million questions could be asked, Julius decided it was best to hush his mouth for now. This wasn’t exactly the ideal occasion to interrogate his fellow faux staff member, after all.

And at last, the note came with a text that couldn’t be any more clear. Julius silently commended Eddie’s request with a smile, his eyes glittering slightly as he thought of just the perfect idea to lure Lotti into his little lion’s den.

“Certainly, certainly! They’ll be ready in a heartbeat.” Julius uttered, announcing the start of yet another mini-play. Sneaking about really wasn’t his style, anyway.

Like a child in a candy store, Julius walked about to collect all sorts of pricey bottles and glasses, carefully bringing them back one by one until he made it to his last addition. Now, this glass - destined to be filled with champagne - would make its mark on the world as a sacrifice for the great Forteans cause.

The bartender actually took some time to do his job, filling the waiter’s plate with a plethora of mismatched drinks. When he came to that last, final glass, however, the ambition in his eyes would be quick to return.

Pouring the champagne out of it’s coloured prison, Julius took a quick look to the side, confirming that there were still no eyes glued to him. So, he stopped pouring, put the bottle to the side, and looked Eddie right in the eyes with an impish look.

And then the glass fell.

Shards of glass sprung on the floor, conveniently falling near the edge of the bar. Fortunately enough, the impact had been too flimsy to do any harm, but a housekeeper would surely be needed to clean up this hot mess.

Immediately, the faux bartender’s look transformed into one of false worry, quickly performing an apologetic bow to the people who had been attracted by the noise of tragedy.

“My apologies! A slip of the hand, I’m afraid.” He’d exclaim, catching onto the visibly annoyed look of his bartender colleague.

“Seems like we’re even now in our race of accidents, aren’t we, my friend?” Julius would add, not being able to tame the sassiness within from retaliating against the disgraceful look.

Having performed his part flawlessly, the seance would turn his attention to the living ghost: Lotti, who was still, fortunately, hanging around the bar.

“Oh housekeeper, would you be so kind as to help us clean up this mess?” He would call out quite simply, knowing that he probably wouldn’t need to put in that much more effort now that his ‘magic trick’ had succeeded.

Should Lotti truly come over as expected, Julius would wait for her to walk past and swiftly try to whisper “Eddie needs to talk to you.” before returning to his cover-up job.

0.5 LISELOTTE
It wasn’t that it was a particularly big mess, but quite frankly, it was the only thing she really got to do since her arrival. Lotti remained crouched on the floor while the guests seated before her had long since turned away and resumed their merrymaking.

Before she even had the chance to rise, Lotti heard the becomingly familiar sound of shattering glass from the other side of the counter. She rose, immediately turning her head to meet the source of the sound. It was Julius, of course. Lotti could only assume the “accident” was deliberate, given the smug look curled onto his face. Sighing, she emptied the dustbin into the trash on her way towards him. As she approached, Lotti let a small, disgruntled grimace crease across her face before passing him.

“Eddie needs to talk to you.”

Lotti paused after taking a few steps. Hesitating, she gazed down at the broken glass, caught between her false duty and what she actually came there for. Maybe it was really important, and honestly, she was ready for something to happen, but still, housekeeper or not, broken glass laying about was dangerous. Kneeling down, she made quick work of the mess, sweeping the shattered remains into the dustbin before dumping it with the rest.

Lotti dusted off the front of her dress as she approached Eddie, her head slightly tilted to one side. “Did you find something?” she asked.

0.6 EDDIE
Eddie watched patiently as Julius filled the drinks back onto the tray, thankful for the brief intermission in their act. Although Eddie often had to take on the role of an outgoing gossip, it drained his energy more than he cared to admit. Now having an excuse to go back to his quiet self and wait for his teammate to grab Lotti was relieving. The psychic watched in fascination as Julius managed to pour the drinks as if being a bartender was something he did on the regular. However, the flow of drinks came to an abrupt halt as Julius seemed to pause for a moment. When Eddie glanced back up, he saw a familiar spark in the man’s eyes that sent his heart plummeting.

“Hang on-”

Crash!!

The sound of glass shattering caused Eddie to jump and several others around the bar to draw their attention over in shock. Although it wasn’t his fault, Edmund felt the need to give the guests several apologetic nods and a few muttered “sorry”s. Giving blame to a slip of the hand, Julius called for Lotti to come clean the mess. Eddie couldn’t help but feel sorry for the girl. In passing, Julius stooped over to whisper something to the undercover housemaid, something Eddie couldn’t make out. It was fairly obvious that it was meant to bring Lotti over and talk to him though, because once she was finished sweeping up the shards she stood and questioned him.

“Hello dear,” Eddie began, quickly trying to think of a way to convey the information without arousing suspicions, “I have a job for you. On the second floor there’s been a spill of herbs in the first door on the right. I’m not allowed in because I believe they are planning something for the afterparty, but I did see Lia head in and assumed housemaids were allowed in. Would you be so kind as to slip in there and rid the smell? It’s a bit distracting.” He gave her a small, grateful smile to let her know he wasn’t trying to boss her around. Leaning in closer, he eyed those around them to make sure no wandering eyes were watching and continued,

“Unsure about Lia. Dressed as a housemaid but unknown if armed. Do be careful.” He said this quickly and pulled away again, finally taking the newly filled tray of drinks and walking off to find more information.

0.7 LOTTI
Lotti nodded as Eddie spoke, her eyes occasionally flicking up to meet his gaze before settling back to the floor.

“I can look, yes,” Lotti said, then cocked her head, “who is this Lia?”

As Eddie gave a few extra details about Lia, apprehension began to creep its way into her mind. Unknown if armed? She supposed that didn’t necessarily mean Lia was a threat—but it was within the realm of possibility, and that was just enough to make her nervous.

Lotti stood in place for a few moments as Eddie walked off. She still had a few questions, but it was a little too late to ask now, and besides, she didn’t really feel comfortable asking any more than she already had. Soon enough, she would encounter Lia and possibly learn more of the alleged afterparty, anyway. Without a word, Lotti started for the stairs with an intensity in her distant gaze. “Up the stairs, first door on the right,” she repeated to herself in thought, over and over. She couldn’t afford to get lost on her way there, regardless of how simple it was. It wouldn’t have been the first time.

“Up the stairs, first door on the right.”

“Up the stairs, first door on the right—”

The next thing she knew, Lotti was staring straight into the face of the guard posted next to the door—the first one on the right.

Coded by Solarsphia

Chapter 1.3
Une danse maladroite

Dangling chandeliers cast a flickering light over the hall, their glow scattered by the glamour of the guests and decorations alike, refracted into beams of which only one had caught Viktor’s intrigue. An ominous casting of red upon his faux coworker’s tray left him weaving through the crowd for a closer look. Wine though it may be, the swirling hues within the murky red depths whispered in tones unbecoming of the likes of a fine refreshment. Particularly, in the eyes of one so intimately familiar with indulgence.Yet, he strayed from its path, drifting into the crowd nearby, if only to keep an eye out. After all, he couldn’t put his intrigue out on display. There would come a time and place- he’d make sure of that. For now he’d let his eyes trail, as the blood-red liquid soon found its way to the intended recipient.

A beacon of light emerged. Young, bright and all-too eager to shamelessly dance and flaunt about, if only out of a desire to impress his companion. Said companion, an all-too dashing presence herself, certainly didn’t seem opposed. Her bright smile peeked out from under a curvy white mask, only cheering on the other’s antics, albeit from a safe distance. Perhaps, he might’ve caught more, had an all-too welcome presence not made itself known.

The crowd parted before him as a familiar face came into view- and oh how brightly she shone. Polished by fine fabrics, decorated in all manner of decorative pieces, her assured steps carrying their weight with the ease of familiarity- it was an outfit all too dashing when compared to the minimalism bestowed upon the staff. Certainly, he wouldn’t have had it any other way. “I will have some of that, please.” Lily said, appearing on his side, picking out one dish that could fit in the palm of her hand. “Such a delectable piece.” Lily crooned with a smile. “I think I might have some second helpings; I hope I’m not keeping you from going somewhere?”’ His own charm had far more humble origins, ones that shone through in his gentle smile, and all-too inviting demeanor, as he greeted his old friend with the distance of unfamiliarity. “I am glad to hear it is to your liking, miss. Care will certainly be taken so those words may reach the chefs.”

Still, despite his enjoyment of the craft, acting had never quite been his forté. The written word had patience the likes of which the spoken did not. Inevitably, a bit of familiarity managed to creep through in the form of a chuckle, enough to be brushed off by some- but he’d certainly have to make note to ask Paris for more pointers. “Oh hardly miss, appetizers are best served to those who desire them.”

His words reflected the underlying meaning of hers, as he eyed the reddish liquid set aside nearby. Certainly, there were more efficient forms of communication to aid their exchange. It was fortunate he’d come more than prepared. A small notebook slipped out of his pocket into view- a familiar sight to one as involved as Lily. Its presence always seemed to be assured, whether at a turbulent night out in the city or a covert operation, and even on nights such as these, when even his box needed to be kept at an arm's length. Viktor liked his notes, that much was certain. Still, flashing them quite as overtly as this, could only mean one thing. “In fact, if you’d happen to like anything in particular, I would gladly do my part to make sure your needs are met. We have quite the selection available, if you’d like to have a glance.”

The smile never left her lips but, in her mind, cogs and gears are already working. Viktor would not spout something cryptic if it weren't warranted. Though in retrospect, there are times that Vikkie can be cryptic in her opinion. But this time, it could only mean one thing: a message. Lily's eyes flitted at the direction Vik silently pointing. To avoid any suspicion, she raised her hand as if waving at some dear fellow she's greeting happily, a poor chap on the other end waved awkwardly at her in return. Lily dismissed it with a chuckle and focused on the servant. The liquid inside the crystal on Vik's crewmate is not really that worth noting. From a distance, its dark color hints that it is some type of wine. Nothing too suspicious during a party. But she has not tasted nor drank any liquor and she has not seen the beverage up close. For sure, he wouldn't be suspicious about it if it's not worth it. A lead is a lead, afterall. They need everything up to this point. "Is that so? Well, I wouldn't want to miss it." Lily replied quietly, looking back at him. If he’s being subtle or conspicuous, Lily was not sure but she then happened to notice a paper hanging out of his pocket. Perfectly displayed for her eyes to see. She nodded once, conveying that she understood a part of his plan, then she spoke "Hmm. What would you suggest to someone who needs excitement for tonight, Monsieur?"

Vik’s hand trailed down to his pocket, the notepad emerging in full as he leafed through, quick to find what he’d been intending to address. After all, the look on Lily’s was unmistakable to one who’d found himself observing her all-too-plenty over the course of many an exercise in the field “I do have a few suggestions” From here, there would be no further need for vague hints and pleasantries. “I happen to have it noted right here, if you would.” There, neat and tidy, the situation was laid out rather plainly in Vik’s all-too-polished handwriting.

‘I know wine when I see it. That’s no wine. I’d like to have a look in the cellar- in need of a distraction. Mind helping?’

A covert affair it was not, though that was hardly the intention. Were there to be foul play at hand, surely, it would make its move with the cards it had just been dealt? Surely. Yet, as his eyes scanned the crowd, hardly anyone stirred. Still. The pieces weren’t adding up. Surely, a mundane affair would hardly explain the sinister details of the vision that had befallen the oracle. For now he’d have to play his part and make do, while hopefully coaxing out the other pieces of the puzzle.

Meanwhile, it took almost everything for Lily not to laugh. If Viktor was aiming for a covert affair, he already failed. All the same, Lily took the piece of parchment from him with her signature side smirk. "Follow me but keep your distance." Lily ordered in a whisper before fishing out another appetizer and headed on her way. She was still trying to hide whatever remained to their charade at the same time while looking for Paris.

She went towards the sides, pretending to admire the decors and peculiar paintings on the walls, not exactly the perfect vantage point but that's all she has at the moment. Having the time to look at the painting, the macabre motif finally came to light. She has seen a number of arts in her time that she knows well enough to figure out and differentiate who painted which, but with the eccentric subject, there’s no sense of familiarity. She reckons it was someone who knows how to dabble but is not yet well known. It is an understatement to say that the subject is an acquired taste. She just has to deal with her own curiosity later on.

Her eyes wander again, trying to spot a young man with bright hair and pompous gait. It took her almost five minutes to make her rounds before spotting the familiar blond but it was too late, he's already making his entrance like a peacock making his way in the middle of the crowd. During her walk, Lily already smiled to others and possibly even flashed a flirtatious smile here and there to socialize. She even drank a half glass of unattended brandy for her plan. All the while her hands deftly unfolding the paper little by little as she walks around. WINE. The main word she caught on. The other words flitted as her eyes passed them by.

Too late to include Paris now but she managed to find his use.

With the smell of alcohol on her breath, she stumbled upon the bar where Julius and Lotti were situated, another man was already there but one thing at a time, she thought. "Garçon...Garçon...." her voice was loud enough to be heard by everyone within her vicinity but not too distracting to create a certain commotion or attract attention. She needs them to look at the attraction in the guise of Paris that is about to happen. Vikkie’s note was neatly folded and safely tucked on her ballgown. A feat she managed to do while pretending to fix her clothing. Lily looked around and raised her hand to wave at some random server and Viktor whom she hoped followed her advice. She leaned on the bar and flashed a vibrant smile at the pretend bartender while still acting too giddy. "Est-ce que vous servez du vin au verre?" Lily asked in her perfect French. "Hm non... Une bouteille de vin rouge, s’il vous plaît." Lily requested. A slight frown became prominent on her face due to disappointment even though she did not give them a chance to respond. "What would it take for someone to serve some wine ‘ere?" she added with a deep sigh. "Ugh. Mon petit chou, if you can't serve the bottle, a glass would do." her accent was still of a French woman but has an air of arrogance and haughtiness. Lily tilted her head and her eyes rolled behind the gorgeous mask, silently pleading that it was enough for Viktor to act.

Lily’s presence was a welcome one at the already somewhat crowded bar. Though her voice was not domineering, the new breath of fresh air managed to catch some people’s attention, their eyes lurking curiously. At the gracious heave of her hand, Lily swiftly attracted the attention of a waiter making their way past the bar with a plate of drinks. Their somewhat puzzled expression wavered behind their mask, seemingly uncertain what to do with the french babbling that happened before him. Taking a good look around, the waiter - who was very apparently not interested in dealing with.. whatever this was supposed to be - laid eyes on another staff member who seemed to have his hands empty.

Thank the lord.

Moving a few steps closer, the waiter placed his hand on Viktor’s shoulder and came to a standstill. Perfectly repositioned, Viktor had followed suit on Lily’s orders, the entrès on his plate vanishing one by one into the bellies of the guests as he made his rounds. Keeping an ear and an eye out for any curious onlookers, even as his gaze drifted every now and then. Of course, she’d chosen to make her way to the bar. Still, it was a less than pleasant affair for him, a hunger unlike before gnawing at his mind.

“Mate, can you deal with that blonde over there? I have rounds to make.” The waiter uttered nonchalantly, impatiently waiting for even the slightest sign of confirmation before taking off. A nod clearly sufficed, for his presence was quickly replaced by Vik’s. Not quite what he’d expected- but he could adapt. Thus, with a smile pleasant as could be, the man spoke in turn, fluently. “Ah, une bouteille de vin rouge pour la dame, c’est noté. Une moment s'il vous plaît.” With that, he’d set his cards out before Lily. Now it was time to move his own piece out on the board, and see who, if anyone, would take the bait.

As the show took off beyond the bar, the bartenders joined the theatre in mutual confusion. Even Julius was taken aback by the sudden appearance of Lily, uncertain what she was trying to achieve by asking for wine. Soon enough, however, he caught onto Viktor’s sly, sneaky presence, and that’s all he had to know. For once in a lifetime, the spotlight-loving Seance decided to keep himself naive and passive, placing his attention on the other guests as he allowed the scene to play out. The other bartender, who was actually trying to do his job, was on the verge of suggesting to fetch a bottle himself, but the fortunate sight of waiter Viktor would alleviate that urge at once.

Translations
*Est-ce que vous servez du vin au verre? = Do you serve wine by the glass?
*Une bouteille de vin rouge, s’il vous plaît = A bottle of red wine, please.
*Ah, une bouteille de vin rouge pour la dame, c’est noté. Une moment s'il vous plaît. = A bottle of red wine for the lady, noted. A moment please.

Notes
> Potential causes:

Mundane | Undead | Occult | Demonic | Cryptozoological
> Currently Suspected: Undead (Wraith), Mundane (Poisoning)
> Kitchen Observations:
6 cooks, 2 masked (scar spotted)
2 inaccessible doors (storage?)
waiter carrying 1x red drink (came from one of^)
> Note: ‘I know wine when I see it. That’s no wine. I’d like to have a look in the cellar- in need of a distraction. Mind helping?’
Status

Uninjured, stable, albeit a growing hunger is making itself known.

Roaming near crowded tables next to the stairwell, Viktor and Lily have made way for the bar, where Vik will split off on his way to the kitchen.

Mentions

Paris [@Plutoni]
Julius [@Danidify ]

Interactions

Lily [@TheTraveller]
coded by natasha.

d3JUVUb.png

CHAPTER 1, PAGE 3 | Bills and Burglars

Like a delicate garden in bloom, the party slowly but surely flourished as its many florae took to their designated location. Guests gleefully connected and explored under the warm summer glow of the chandeliers, its scenic glow gleaming with muse and humility. No matter which corner one's eyes turned to, there was joy, there was satisfaction, and there was opulence. One would almost forget that they were standing in the brewing grounds of infamous death and decay..

Did anybody say waltz?!

As guests had happily floundered through the hall in their prosperous gowns and suits, the merry little band of performers had taken their time setting up its collection of brass, wood, and string. Soon enough, the room would be filled with the serene, almost whimsical touch of classical music. Introduced only by the pitch of a solitary yet outspoken violin, the Vienna Blood Waltz entranced its suitors with its beautifully eloquent tones. The optimistic vibe of it all seemed, again, unfitting of the situation, but few seemed to care.

Like a flock of birds during bird migration, guests took to the centre of the hall, hands interlocked of the pairing dance to come. People without partners took to the side, splitting into two distinct parties: those who weren't interested in dancing, and those who desperately sought for a partner.

Among the guests that lead the charge to the dance floor was the spirited parrot formerly at the bar, leading his more modest dove by the hand. The first-floor 'art critics' had also taken to the heart of the action, though they had lost their blonde companion to the now emptier side of the bar. There, she sat next to the older gentleman, flashing a humble smile before indulging in alcohol.

The outskirts of the second floor swiftly flushed empty as several guests made their way down, some ambiguous faces hanging around the upper railing to enjoy the show instead. The hostess, whose vermillion smile stood out from the masses, was among said spectators, ignorant to the fact that a certain ambitious guest would soon come to reach out to her.

And who could forget about the crowd that had grown habituated to the tables. The birthday-goers loudly announced their entrance, both by the vibrance of their outfits and the booming amplitudes of their seemingly already intoxicated voices. Meanwhile, the amateur dancer had finally been able to fulfil his dream, also taking to the bustling centre of movement with booming love and vigour in his eyes for his admittedly gorgeous brunette companion. The only salient group who seemed to want nothing to do with the excitement was the trio of older ladies whose faces were now more scrunched up than ever. Talk about a buzzkill.

The sole, private serving of wine that had once been delivered by the butler - a man whose appearance had caught both Viktor and Basil - was now sat upon the table that once belonged to the eager dancer. The curious liquid had fully disappeared to the last drop, much akin to its delivery man. Surely, however, there was nothing to worry about.

It was undeniable that this party was a success in many ways. Harrogate found great purpose in these very nights, and the house was enjoying every sliver of happiness that escaped from the golden lungs. The paintings watched patiently as the picture-perfect scene unfolded, and the halls were made ready for the privileged footsteps that would soon slide past them. In time, the curtains would unfold, even though its lead actor had already escaped from beyond the blinds.

Every tale carries some truth. Every tale teaches a lesson.

mood
on edge

one of the four rooms in the upstairs hall

tags
n/a

ERICK COLLINS ♪
ERICK COLLINS ♪
ERICK COLLINS ♪
With the go-ahead from his teammate, Erick began to scale the side of the building. He found no difficulty in getting to the window, which opened with ease. The only problem was the sound of squeaking wood. For a second, he held his breath in hesitation, doing his best to listen and determine whether the noise had alerted anyone. Hearing nothing further, however, he climbed through and slipped inside. The window now shut behind him, he examined his surroundings.

It was a nice-sized corridor, decorated with red wallpaper and one large painting at the dead-end to his left. From the right, where the hall made a turn, he heard what he assumed to be chatter from the party. He made a mental note of that; it meant he was close to where the guests were, which was a good thing to keep in mind.

Ignoring the noise from down the corridor, the doors were what caught Erick’s attention the most. There were four of them, all closed. Curious but cautious, he pressed his ear against the one most to the right. The loudness from the partygoers prevented him from being fully confident that no one was inside. Still, he was sure that he would be fine opening the door enough to peek through, at the very least.

Like the window, it took no extra effort to open. But also like the window, it creaked. Erick drew in a sharp breath and held it as he peered into the dim room. Seeing nothing but tables, books, and supplies such as scissors and quills, relief washed over him once more. He really was jumpy… Then again, that was to be expected considering the nature of this mission.

He nevertheless was frustrated with himself for it.

Erick stepped into the room, examining its contents further. Someone had been writing letters here. He could tell from the discarded notes in the bin and the piles of envelopes. At another table, there was a stack of books. One of them was open, revealing a list of names. Perhaps these were the names of the people invited to the party? In which case, the letters that had been written here were invitations. A simple enough conclusion to make, but just to be safe…

Taking one of the papers and quills, Erick scribbled down a few of the names. Satisfied, he left, sealing the room behind him with everything back in its proper position. He folded the note he’d written a few times before slipping it into his pocket. Confirming if those names belonged to the guests would have to be done at a later time; for now, he should continue to snoop.

Back in the hall, Erick moved to the second door from the right and pressed his ear against it. Hearing nothing concerning, he tried its handle. It, too, opened and let him peek into the area. Smaller than the one before, this room only held a printing press, cabinet, and table. He didn’t see anything immediately interesting in here except a few tools and a stack of paper on the table. And so, with one more glance around, he left the space untouched.

Time to try door number three. After checking once more that there was nobody inside, he opened it.

There was much more to this room than the others. Erick could tell that from the shadowy shapes of what he thought to be shelves and a desk. What was on the shelves and desk, he couldn’t tell. It was too dark in here, even with the light coming through the now-ajar entrance. Either he would have to open the door further and leave it that way while he looked around, or… His eyes made out the familiar form of a gaslamp.

Keeping the door open was a terrible idea. Anyone who entered this hall would see it and investigate, especially if they knew it was supposed to be shut. That left the lamp. Resolute in his decision, he moved to the desk. A box of matches lay on the corner of the table; he took one and lit the gaslamp, careful not to break the mantle. With the area now illuminated better, he closed the door and began to look around.

Books. Books were everywhere. In cabinets, on shelves… The sheer amount overwhelmed Erick. Most of them were old—so old he worried he might ruin them if he riffled through their pages. Then again, wouldn’t that be funny? He could shred the pages up and toss them about like confetti.

Erick blinked before shaking his head. That thought was obtrusive and irritating. Biting the inside of his cheek, he knew full-well where it had come from. Someone seemed to be finally taking an interest in the mission. Or, at the very least, the surrounding area.

Not good.

Ignoring the books in the hopes that it would fix the problem, Erick looked at some other items in the cabinets. Several paper bundles were carefully handled and examined. At first, he thought he’d found something worthwhile. The documents described building plans and renovations, as well as a few labor contracts. But a quick check of the date printed neatly in the corners revealed these were old. In other words… They weren’t worth looking at further. He dismissed the bundles and returned them to their home.

Maybe he would have to take a look at the books after all. The desk had files on it, too, alongside a typewriter, but those could wait. One section of the room at a time seemed to be the right way to go. He wanted to be thorough.

Letting out a loose sigh, Erick took some tentative steps towards the shelves. He walked by them, noting a few of the titles and whether they were in good condition or not. As he moved, he noticed how dusty everything was. It looked like people hadn’t interacted with these books in a while, which made him hesitant to take them off the shelf. Doing so might leave a noticeable trail in the dust, and that wasn’t a good idea.

Still, the selection here was incredible. He briefly wondered if Viktor had read all of these at some point, albeit via different copies. It seemed impossible to the average person, of course, but Viktor was a steadfast bookworm. Although, maybe there was one here that had eluded even him—

Erick froze at one of the shelves in the left corner, his thoughts halted. Unlike the many others in this room, it was definitely cleaner. Besides the neat rows of books, a knife unfamiliar to him lay on display. A few statues sit between the lineup, serving as what appeared to be bookends.

An almost violent surge of curiosity rose in him. It was difficult to tell if it was his own intrigue or… In either case, he wouldn’t be ignoring this successfully even if he tried. With one last glance around, he began to mess with the objects on the shelf. Books were taken out and then replaced. The knife was picked up and examined. And, finally, as he pulled on one of the statues, he heard a click.

Guess the files on the desk would have to wait.
coded by reveriee

Chapter 1.4
Cracks in the Wall
Viktor [@Girl In a Bottle]
The simmering streams of people had long settled into pools around the tables and bar, leisurely flowing between the paintings of ruin and decay as liquor poured and entrées were dealt. It was rightfully, delightfully, lavish and still. Surely, that wouldn't do? What good was a gorgeous lake if its insides were rotten? No life could grow from such poisoned waters. No, no. There was a little too much room to explore, a little too much time to think, and a lingering scent of a foreign element hiding away in the murky waters...So it was time to clear the waters- to stir these halls back to life and shackle the guests back into an orchestrated ensemble.

And what better than a waltz?

With orchestral splendor the strings wrapped around their limbs, leading the guests to merrily dance away their worries. That could spell trouble for the hidden pieces in the play. With their movements restricted, surely, this could only act as a shackle to weigh them down? Or...perhaps he was projecting, he considered as his mind replayed the last time he’d tried to keep up with Lily’s pace. Still-...in that case, the timing was perfect. The guests knew better how to navigate these foreign waters. Perhaps- he pondered, his gaze wandering to Paris- it could even create some unforeseen opportunities. It was a prospect that tempted him to stay, but there was more to consider now that he’d set the pieces into motion. No. There were far more urgent things to worry about now. His coworkers could handle themselves.

Thus he left the stage-right, his steps echoing through the familiar halls as he retraced them back to the kitchen. Really, he had to admit he was all too pleased to escape from the gathering crowd. The party had hardly even begun, yet he’d already had his fill of weaving through the crowd. In a sense, it was almost a relief to see the familiar sight of six chefs bustling about, preparing glamorous dishes that would surely satisfy the hunger of most. A pity it was, that he couldn’t try some for himself. Still, they would hardly ease the hunger that plagued his own mind.

“Pardon the intrusion.” Viktor started, an apologetic smile tugging at his features as he wandered his way into foreign territory. “It seems the bar’s in urgent need of a bottle or two, I’ve been assigned to fetch them promptly. I’ll be out of your hairs in a moment.” Flowery words for one who had to struggle to keep his gaze set ahead. Rude- it would be unfathomably rude- to eye them up again, but the other had gotten fussy. Perhaps, he considered, he’d roused it a little too much with his taunts. Nothing a sip of the bottle couldn’t help- a little oil to grease the wheels, nothing that could get him condemned. Worst-case, he’d end up using the trusty little vial on none other than himself- but he knew that much to be foolish on the job.

Thus he passed the chefs by, his gaze drifting momentarily to the door on the right, even as his steps carried him left. It was a gamble, really. Back when he’d first spied the other waiter, he’d already passed him by. From there it was a gamble, whether he’d come from the left or from the right. Still, his goal had to be set behind one of the doors. It was a 50-50 that would make him seem absent-minded at best, nosy at worst. Not a problem, as long as this was indeed a textbook case of a haunting- a statement he’d been making a worrying lot that day.

So the door before him creaked open to reveal an ordinary dimly lit storage of humble size. A mop, and cleaning utensils lay sloppily stacked against the left wall,contrasting the tall wooden rack stacked with a wide plethora of sultry, clearly expensive bottles of wine. No one seemed to have called him out yet- and the wine at least confirmed his gamble had paid off. A shame he couldn’t explore the other room- but oh well, he’d have to make do. For now he needed to focus- thus he let the door behind him click back into place.

For a moment, temptation reared its ugly head again, fuelled by the unnervingly sweet aroma that clung to the air. Without even realising it, he’d started to fumble with the vial in his pocket, his mind racing to pinpoint what he was smelling. It seemed familiar- like he could almost put his finger on it. It had the sweetness of ether, though its edge seemed too dull. Rather, this was more akin to chloroform, though not quite as light- odd. But more importantly- where was it coming from?

A little off-in-the-head, that’s how he felt sniffing around the room. Still, there was a sense of accomplishment as he narrowed down the origin to a seemingly empty wall right to the opposite of the entry point. For a moment- a thought crossed his mind. Foreign as it was, for once the two seemed to agree on something, as he let his hands trace over the wall.

Aha.

A shimmer soon caught his eye- a small sliver of light in the bottom left corner of the floor, beaming further against the left wall. Realisation struck him as his fingers traced the surface- now this was a find, and oh how he could feel it stirr with content. That exhilarating sense of discovery took hold, dulling the horror that gripped at his insides, even as he paled at his finding. Ha. He would’ve laughed, had it not been for the implications of this. Really-...to think it had been right in its obsessive musings…What a terrible precedent to set.

Still, this was important. This needed to be spread immediately-...but surely, if he’d rushed now, after purposefully gaining some attention, he’d only put a target on his coworker’s backs...? Not to mention how difficult it would be to get near without arousing suspicion. Ha- his mind buckled under the strain of morbid curiosity, grasping onto the excuse as his hand reached into the darkness- only halted by the remaining sliver of common sense, as he reached for his pen instead.

Thus he indulged once more, leaving only a note behind in his wake, tucked away between bottles of fine wine, even as an unfamiliar chill crawled up his spine, and darkness soon fell upon him.

Julius [@Danidify]
Consciousness truly is a wondrous spectacle.

Some moments, you can feel in perfect control of every thought, breath, and move. Meanwhile, others leave you feeling incomplete or incongruent, one’s mind desperately trying to fill in the gaps of whatever it was that just overcame oneself.

It was that latter abnormality that overthrew the faux bartender as he stood behind his infiltrated turf, casually pouring drinks while somewhat cautiously standing his ground. Given his recent successes, paired with the fact that not a single spectre had passed his peripheral, Julius’s intuition would rationally reason that things were going quite well. Yet somehow, he couldn’t help but feel.. unsettled.

Worry isn’t an unnatural emotion, but it’s not one that tends to plague a reckless thrill-seeker such as Julius all too often, and certainly not in this amplitude. Swiftly, Jules went from relaxed and opportunistically patient to flighty, hypervigilant and bothered, and for what? A man who was, first and foremost, very much capable of taking care of himself? A man who hadn’t even been gone all too long? It seemed nonsensical- ridiculous, even! But rationality stood no match against a heart’s demands, as intrusive as they may be. Before he could really process it, Julius found himself crudely heading for the kitchen, a certain special box tightly held under his arm.

Though the bar had emptied out in the wake of the Vienna Blood Waltz, it seemed the allure of a vice or two had attracted another guest. A blonde had taken her seat beside the older gentleman who'd been sitting there since the party's start, flashing a humble smile before indulging in a drink. Indeed, the gesture was returned in kind, the two exchanging a brief chat and a toast. They paid little mind to the bartender's newfound ordeal, though his sudden retreat did not seem lost on the two. For a moment, their gazes met- still, they returned to their light banter in moments, before soon parting ways.

Out of sight, out of mind.

The young bartender had other things to worry about. He flashed a fake smile at the staff as he entered the kitchen. “Seems like I need to do everything around these parts! How hard is it to get some wine, am I right?” he’d utter, feet unhalted by his quick attempt at a cover-up. Half of his head seemed angry at the fact he even believed there to be time for such nuance.

A modest creek announced the opening of the supposed wine-storage, with a soon to follow closing thud notifying the staff of Julius’s eagerness to enter.

Eyes widened as they peered over the wilderness of the dark, ready for something, anything. But there was nothing, only alcohol and sweetness. Even in the depth of darkness, however, one could find light.

Right there, an epiphany.

Shit.

A spirited surge of jolted quivers surged down Julius’s body as what was once a puzzle whose pieces didn’t seem to fit, now blended together in a picture perfect scene. Time seemed to slow down as motor signals rapidly tried to venture to his feet, ready to spring into motion faster than ever before-

But then the lights went out.

Masked Woman [@Kimby]
The woman in the black and gold mask was still by the bar. Her eyes scan the party but it was difficult to get a read on what she was looking for. A drink or a partner to waltz with perhaps?

Instead her gaze returned to the two guests who she had been looking at earlier. One was a woman in a white and blue dress who had her eye on a couple art critics nearby while the younger man was trying to get her attention with concern in his voice. They eventually move out of her sight, so she leaves her place to get in better range of them.

As she walks, a waiter passes her by carrying a single glass of familiar substance. The blood-red liquid glistened under the chandelier light as if to present itself as the centerpiece of this party. She watches for a moment as the waiter makes his way to serve the drink and that is when she notices another pair of eyes doing the same.

Eyes behind a set of crystal lenses, with frames that are fitted right for the face. This detail would suggest a person being of high scholarly standing but his outfit dressed him as someone that was working the party. She stares at him in a curious manner as he tails the drink before he breaks off the path towards a woman dressed to the nines in lavish detail.

The interaction between the two was nearly theatrical to the sharp and focused eye. The low whispers and subtle pass of folded paper only deepened her suspicion. It was when the two broke off did she catch the attention of the waiter serving the drink from earlier. She directs his eye over to the figure in glasses slowly making his way towards the bar. He gives her a subtle nod of acknowledgment and diverges from his usual path.

She slowly makes her own way to the bar, cautiously keeping an eye out for any other abnormalities. Taking a seat, she remains there waiting for any signs of either waiter.

After some time the bartender leaves his post and her eyes narrow in suspicion as she notices that there hasn't been any word from the other waiter that had been serving drinks earlier. She leaves her seat in a haste, making a beeline towards the kitchen as the liveliness of the party spun around her. No one paid any mind to her presence as she weaved through the swirling sea and away from the main hall. The sound of laughter and music faded as she made it through the double swing doors.
Status

Viktor: ???
Julius: ???
Masked mystery lady: ???

Mentions

Paris [@Plutoni]
Lily [@TheTraveller ]
coded by natasha.

Last edited:

c807e6056c10cd82a0098db920831c69.jpg

_x_x_

Interactions:
Basil Everleigh
Mentions: lion. lion. Danidify Danidify Skawly Skawly

Eddie and Basil Collab

Eddie watched from the corner of his eye as Lotti made her way up to the second floor. He held his breath as she disappeared from view, hoping with all of his heart that he hadn’t just sent her into a death trap. Lia didn’t seem all that strong, but you could never take too much caution on this job. Taking a deep breath the psychic decided it would be best to stick to the first floor for now. Everyone had congregated down here for the dance, and Edmund was grateful for the first time since the staff had arrived that he had been put on this team. He couldn’t remember the last time he had danced, but he was sure it wouldn’t be pretty if he tried. Not to mention what Julius might say if he saw.

Eddie concluded that his next job would be to watch the crowd. There weren’t very many options at the moment besides that, and his confidence had decreased greatly ever since that masked guard had stopped him upstairs. Already his newly stacked tray of drinks had begun to dwindle, but it was much more tame now. He began weaving through the people who had decided to stay on the sidelines, stopping every now and again to see if anyone was interested in a drink or two. He was closest to the stage when the feeling had struck him. Eddie stopped in his tracks, mostly from surprise and a bit of pain.

A sharp throbbing had begun at the front of his head. Eddie’s brow creased and he brought his hand up to his forehead as if he could stop it. Headaches happened to be commonplace with the staff member, and in no time at all he began his rounds again. However, the more he walked the worse it felt.

‘I really need to get some sleep. Eddie, you stubborn mule.’ He scolded himself. He often refused to sleep for days on end, scared of the nightmares that accompanied. He couldn’t even face his father in his dreams. How pathetic. Still, he trekked on through the crowd, dutifully asking how the guests were and, of course, if they needed a refill.

Basil walked, defeatedly, opposing C’s unshakable choke to a painting whose paint had been long dried. Waiting in vain, C, with her long gloves and pistachio-brown eyes depended on the gallery as if each blink reimbursed another laving of wet paint onto the canvas. Answering to no one, his charlatan half-sister timed into the still-life of the craft with a come-what-may reach towards the scenic composition. Fault lines, she distinguished. Then, as if she had peeled the painting’s hatches of texture and temper like cheap wallpaper, she swallowed once. All the while the painting had already been swallowing her conscience.

He mimed the other guests in their hunger for celebration. Yesterday, he had been the midnight coroner, wondering what grieved the sleep beneath his eyes. Today, he was to be an actor with shoulder blades that struggled to know how high mountain peaks laddered. There were people. Not just in tens, but twenties, and fifties. Greater, larger! Frivolous activities were cast off with the first of the music symphonies; ladies congregated in jewelry blazoned the corners of his eyes in diamond-flame. Mirroring each other under the moonlight skies, the waiters moved amid the crowds.

“Ha, indeed. What a night. Good day to you, sir, as well. I mean, lord. Duke!” Basil humbly hummed, bowing with his tophat lifting as he landed himself unknowingly into an assemblage of men.

His eyes fell to his footwear, as he moved along from one end to the next.

High and dry- that is how quickly and fast a waiter revolutionarily sifted shoulders against his and nearly stranded him. A coalescence of scenery, welding white and black together emanated Basil’s eyes, altering to a stand-off allegory to the very mystifying tragedy that awaited the waiter. The waiter carried weight in his steps- forcing them under his control- and his brown hair divvied past him subsisting with the air. Everything became slow.

“Hey, wait!” Even Basil’s words seemed to be postponed as the angel began to take over his ears.

“The imaginative dreamer whose eyes so rich, must swiftly find a safe bed, or their nightmares will leak into reality,” said she, in her enigma which nobody could consult.

The two had crashed in directions. Basil held to his temples, repeating, “Edmund, right?”

Eddie begun to wonder how many times he would have to keep coming back to the bar to refill his yet again empty tray. This party was only a few hours in yet here he was, headed back to ask for more Champaign for the third time tonight. It wasn’t often that one would find him in a bad mood, but the headache wasn’t helping the poor waiter. Not to mention the dancing, the music, the lights that seemed to glint off of every surface of the room and-

“Oof! Ah, sorry I- Hm?” The psychic was so distracted that he had accidentally run into someone. He glanced down to find none other than one of his teammates who seemed to be quite lost in thoughts of his own.

“Basil?” Eddie whispered, low enough to not be heard by passing guests. He was about to ask him what was wrong when a particularly painful throbbing shot through his head. Eddie gasped and took a step back. The intensity of this newfound problem was so prevalent it was hard not to accept that something bad was about to happen. What that might be completely escaped Edmund. His stomach began to turn violently and his breath caught in his throat. The air seemed to grow hot causing beads of sweat to form on his forehead.

“Basil?” This time his tone betrayed his anxiety. There wasn’t confusion in the question, but rather full panic. It was as if everything inside of him was happening in slow motion. The edges of his vision became darkened and blurry, every thought completely vanishing until he was left with nothing to do but gasp for air. Unbeknownst to him, this odd reaction began drawing looks from guests. Some seemed concerned, others just confused while others still were arguably annoyed. Edmund knew it was time to find a quiet spot, whether to pass out or die he couldn’t have cared less at the moment. If he collapsed now he was sure to ruin the mission, but his legs refused to carry him anywhere.

code by ditto (head empty go bonk)

Last edited:

Paris

COLLAB WITH
Danidify Danidify

Paris quickly lost sight of the hostess as he passed into the faint shade beneath the balcony, though the memory of red lingered on his eyes like the imprint of brilliant light. His little hunt had begun. His eyes traced the edge above him, the dipped curl of the banister up from the broad mouth of the staircase, idly guessing as to where that jewel-like flash would next reappear. As his foot found the first polished step, there came the sudden sweet note of a violin from across the hall - he knew this one - and, emboldened, he took off up the stairs in a swift two-step. It would not do to dally. There was a dim, frothy warmth in his stomach now from the champagne and a sudden itch for the giddy elegance of a dance, to prove how the imposter amongst this well-bred crowd could waltz better than any one of them.

An imposter indeed.

Paris recalled, however grudgingly, that his presence at this ball wasn’t quite as simple a matter as he would like to pretend. With a final step he was upon the balcony, white-gloved fingertips that had just brushed the balustrade falling away as the scarlet of the dress filled his vision anew. Even in closer view, she wanted for nothing - the allure was no illusion of distance. But sure, even he granted that it wasn’t impossible that he was now looking at the villain of this ball. Did she actually know of the troubles that plagued it? As Leo’s words rewound themselves once again through his mind, it seemed growingly improbable that she was entirely clueless. But perhaps she knew not of their full extent. Ah, yes - Paris was more than happy to give someone of her looks the benefit of the doubt. But if she did? Curious; he couldn’t entirely say he cared. A private smile curled his lips as he began to trail his way around the sparsely gathered bystanders towards her. Not only would she be stunning, but a stunning villainess - how unbearably exciting. It was poetry. He would be perfectly safe, anyway. A little dance never hurt anyone.

He came to a stop perhaps only a few feet from where she stood overlooking the blossoming of the dance below, resting his elbows upon the banister. Far enough - but not too far to be entirely separate. Paris watched with her in silence for a long moment. An absentminded smile twitched the corner of his mouth as he spotted a familiar couple amongst them, gaze moving to trail the tops of heads that were more familiar yet before sliding on without comment. The height they stood above them was strangely intoxicating. It felt like some momentary higher kingdom.

“Quite the spectacle.”

He broke the pause without looking up.
“Even so. I’d heard rumour that even these masquerades were outshone by a hostess whose beauty precedes even her very name.”

Paris looked over then, an impish half-smile already forming. “Looks like they were true.”

He turned to face her entirely as he slipped off a glove, taking her hand in his, now bare and warm, to place a light kiss upon her knuckles. He looked up at her between his lashes as his lips touched.
“Claudius Guildford. At your service.”

To say that the Hostess wasn’t accustomed to attention would be far from the truth. It seemed that something about her just managed to reel people in, their eyes flashing with an excited obsession that she would so gladly entertain. She was the Hostess, after all. It was her job to attend.

The lady in red remained idle yet nevertheless attentive as the words of a stranger’s voice distracted her from the sightseeing, her gaze calmly shifting to the side to put a face to this new sensation before returning back to the hall. It seemed another fish had caught the line.

Behind the fox-like mask, eyes began to glow as a toothless smile formed upon her face. The hostess would tilt her face to the side, chuckling while she took a modest step closer in protest of having to raise her voice.

“I must admit, your words do flatter me, stranger.” She responded, her voice radiating a playful yet elegant and rich tone. As she spoke, she found her hand raised by the still nameless man, another symbol of flattery placed upon her. The Hostess’s smile did not waver, curious eyes peering down peacefully as the kiss hit her knuckles.

As the Blonde’s name escaped into the open sky, the lady in red found herself in brief thought, scanning the clearly younger individual from head to toes. A stranger, through and through. How intriguing.

“Guildford, you say? What an interesting name.” The Hostess pondered, her gaze still firmly planted on the guest.

“Is this your first time here at Harrogate, Claudius? I’m afraid your name doesn’t ring any bells. Though not to say I’m complaining about your presence. The contrary, actually.”

Paris had already begun the unhurried process of sliding his fingers back into their glove as the hostess spoke, acutely aware of the sensation of being studied, perhaps even mildly revelling in the wake of this gaze. A short laugh escaped him at her question, though the words struck on a slight off-note that Paris realised he hadn’t taken into account. Of anyone at the ball with the greatest capability to call his bluff, it was undoubtedly the hostess. He half-glimpsed now the brief flicker of danger that this conversation held. It only thrilled him further. This truly was the time of all times to put his skills to the test.

“What an impressive memory. Indeed it is - and I certainly intend to make up for lost time.” A pointed glance to the view below, towards the music floating up from the dancefloor, and his smile glinted. “Seems like they’ve already started without us. Ah, well - since it seems I can’t deprive you of my presence quite so soon, may I have the honour of a dance?”

He raised his hand once more, inviting, challenging, almost, holding her gaze with steady intent.
“Let’s show them how it’s done.”

Huh, how amusing.

The Hostess had always harboured a weak spot for unique, confident people who weren’t afraid to act on their desires. As a result, she could find entertainment in this bright flash of a man, and a foxy grin happily placed on her face would be sure to reveal that little secret.

Even despite the relative joy to be found in this brief interaction, the lady in red wanted to make sure it would stay as such: brief. When asked for her honour of a dance, she almost reflexively leaned back in preparation of a formal denial.

“I’m afraid I-”

As a hand was reached out to her and yet another display of bravery passed her by, it seemed like the certainty she felt just mere seconds ago wavered in stability. The twinkle in Claudius’s eyes told her that, perhaps, this could be worth dedicating her limited resources to.

“Very well, Claudius. I hope you can keep up.” Her hand gently fell into his before squeezing down as the Hostess jumped into motion, attempting to lead the guest down the stairs. She was the Hostess after all. No one would lead her.

He couldn’t help almost holding his breath as the beginning of a rejection seemed to begin to form on her lips - what the hell? - but she cut it off just before the sting could land. He stared, feeling a sudden flash of bruised impatience as he waited for whichever way the axe would now fall, already beginning to lament the waste of all his charm and effort and such a good opening line - it was simply inspired, he’d have to reuse it, maybe next time on someone a little more grateful-

‘Very well, Claudius.’

Paris brightened immediately. What a foolish little worry it now seemed - who ever rejected him? He opened his mouth to speak, but all he managed was a stifled woah, almost laughing in surprise as she began to pull him to the stairs. Oh, no no no. As darling as he knew he was, he wasn’t about to be led behind her like some pet. He tried to make the little half-jog to catch up as dignified as he could, drawing even with her just in time for them to both take the top step. He pulled his shoulders back a touch as the ballroom opened wide before him, chin up, West End smile renewed though perhaps now ever so slightly smug, marginally raising their joined hands as they began their way down the stairs. And what he’d give to hear what the crowd whispered now, to see from their eyes how they looked together at what felt like the very heart of Harrogate; blue and scarlet, swan and fox. Paris felt nothing but a fizzing self-satisfaction as his eyes passed over the many faces still below them, at how they turned towards them like sunflowers at their joint radiance, at the knowledge that they were undoubtedly now the most striking pair at the masquerade. Ah, he couldn’t wait to encounter Leo again - no, for Leo to see him - no! For his teammates to see him. He hadn’t felt so like himself in forever. This was what he wanted them to see of when they thought of him. Nothing else. He’d gone to waste out in the depths of rural England, and he most certainly wasn’t about to pass up the chance to remind them all of it.

The crowd wordlessly made way for them as they reached the foot of the staircase, slowly parting into two whispering tides to reveal a clear path onto the ballroom floor. The timing felt almost orchestrated - now came the lull in the violins, the slight breath between the brisk rise and fall of the waltz - and Paris couldn’t help but pull slightly ahead to lead those final steps into place, turning to place his right hand lightly - carefully - upon the hostess’s upper waist. It was a studiously polite position. An inch higher and it could verge almost on the puritanical, and intentionally so; this partner of his was unknown territory. Making a mistake at the very beginning of the dance under the sharp eyes of the entirety of the Midland’s upper class was absolutely not something Paris intended to be caught doing. Is she married? Engaged? He hadn’t noticed a ring, though it wasn't like that was something he had ever actually cared about. Hell, he still didn’t know her name. But he didn’t once return the gaze of this mighty audience; he only had eyes for the hostess. He knew that he would be playing it by ear from now on, after all, and thus Paris decided that he would be the most attentive partner she had ever had the pleasure of dancing with. He smiled as she took her place, hand on his shoulder, faces now so very close. With the swell of the music, the dance began. A small knot in his stomach relaxed. The smooth familiarity of the steps, the lights, the looks, the sweet notes of the waltz - he could do this forever. The night was shaping up to surpass even his expectations. Dianium would have to drag him back to them kicking and screaming.
coded by reveriee.

Lotti
We drift like ghosts;
We are lost. I am lost.
mood ❜ anxious

location ❜ chateau harrogate, upstairs

company ❜ alone

tags ❜

Without even so much as giving the guard a passing glance, Lotti shuffled past him, eyes downcast as her pace quickened. Once through the door, she exhaled a breath she had been holding, as though she was half-expecting the man to suddenly catch onto her act and grab her up. In all honesty, the guard was the least of her worries at this point; it was what lay ahead that was now the object of her concern.

Stretched before her was a long, empty hallway, lined with four doors, two to a side. A floor-length painting was hung at the very end, depicting what appeared to be a skeleton ensnared in a bed of thorns and roses. Quickly averting her eyes from the macabre painting, Lotti set her attention to the soft murmur emanating from the door to the far left of her. Stepping forward, a faint herbal scent struck her as it wafted through the corridor. Even as faint as it was now, she could only imagine how pungent it would be once she drew closer.

Peering into one of the open doors, Lotti could make out a lineup of beds within the room. It was as good a place as any to start poking around, she figured. Standing just inside the door, Lotti began to idly scan the contents of the room. The cool evening breeze gently billowed in from the open windows, flushing out the scent which pervaded the hall. From an almost immediate glance, Lotti suspected this to be the staff quarters for women. Uniforms, some of which matched that of her own, were hung up in various corners of the room. Before she was able to look any further than the obvious, the pattering of footsteps down the corridor seized her attention. Turning just in time to catch a quick glimpse, she caught only the woman’s backside; maskless and of shorter stature, she wore the same outfit Lotti was fitted with.

“Lia?” Lotti thought as her body froze in place. Silently peeking around the door frame, Lotti watched as the woman entered the far left door, from which she heard the murmuring. A small thud came from within the room, followed by more mumbling, then another thud. Lotti pulled back out of view once she heard the unmistakable creak of the door reopen. Wth her heart racing, Lotti flattened herself against the wall, out of view from the corridor in case the woman were to pass by and glance her way. Judging by the ensuing footsteps, however, it appeared she was heading the opposite direction, towards the dead end. Lotti was expecting her to make the rounds again, back down the corridor, though, judging by the soft creaking of another door, it didn’t sound as though she reentered the other room, nor merely passed across the hall—no, there was something different about the subtle, almost inaudible squeak of the door she had just entered out of Lotti’s sight.

Silence followed moments after until Lotti mustered the courage to peek back into the hall. The woman had seemingly vanished. Cautiously, Lotti started back down the corridor.

What had she even been hearing from the room to the left?

With slow, cautious steps, Lotti approached the room she had been first drawn to. The herbal smell had only gotten stronger the further down she went, but as she fully entered, the open windows and faint evening breeze had managed to waft some of it out. Much like the last room, this one contained staff uniforms and bedding, though seemed to be in a state of disrepair. If it weren’t for the soft, rasping sound from near the corner of the room, Lotti almost wouldn’t have noticed it—a figure, laid out on one of the mattresses. Her immediate thought was that this person was asleep, but something about his rigid position and pained, labored breaths lead her to think otherwise.

Something felt very wrong.

Lotti didn’t dare step any further into the room with the lying man, instead backing out as quietly as she could. Turning herself back around, Lotti’s eyes squinted as she surveyed the hall. Where could she have gone? It sounded like she entered through somewhere, but it sounded too far down to have been simply across the hall.

Wandering ahead, Lotti soon found herself standing before the painting of the skeleton being swallowed by the thorned rose vines. Looking at it from top to bottom, she noticed faint smudges and scuffles on the floor before it, as though someone had been passing straight through.

Could it be?

Lotti peeked around the painting’s frame before inserting her fingers between it and the wall. With a small amount of force, the painting began to separate. A secret door…

Far too cautious to recklessly follow after, Lotti stilled herself against the painting, listening for any voice or movement that might come from the other side.
code by valen t.

~Struggling Doubts and Untold Secrets~

The moment Hugo gently creaked open the door he did a thorough once over of the corridor. Dark, empty, and little noise save the muffled caterwauling of the party guests. Perfect. As he crept into the manor the Daeform would turn to Naomi.

“All clear lass, fer now at least. Sit tight whilst I scout out the other rooms. I’d rather you remain close in case somethin’ were to happen,” Hugh whispered.

As Hugo was busy tracing the corridor, Naomi impatiently yearned to take a look for herself, swiftly squirming into the area to get a good look of their surroundings.

It didn’t take long for her eyes to land on the painting at the end of the corridor, a single eyebrow raising ever so slightly as light confusion touched her face.

“Yeah, sure thing. I’ll be around.” She’d utter, unmoving and still curiously looking towards the painting.

“Just give me a shout if you need help, alright?”

---

Hugo nodded internally relieved that Naomi was humoring him. One by one the man checked the rooms, listening at the doors for the slightest disturbance. When the first door uttered its shrill shriek Hugo, to his utter embarrassment, nearly ripped the knob from its fixture in his startlement. Feeling his cheeks start to heat up the Daeform glanced Naomi's way before giving the dusty room a good once over. 'Come on old boy,' Hugo thought to himself frustratedly as he tried the next door. 'I will be of no use tae anyone if I start acting like a faint-hearted old maid.'
When the second room yielded nothing of interest Hugo went for the third and final door. Putting his ear against the smoothed out wood his brow furrowed as he picked up on the scuttling noise just beyond. Instantly his hand went for one of the heavy truncheons at his waist.

"Cipher. There's something here," Hugo called in a low whisper.

-----

Though a promise had escaped her tongue, it proved to be a loose one as Naomi quite swiftly abandoned her partner’s side for her own investigation. She wasn’t the type of person to be entranced by art, but this painting was too odd to look away from. Something wasn’t right, but she couldn’t quite place what it was.

Naomi was already halfway past the corridor when she picked up on a familiar voice behind her. Fortunately, she was still just close enough to decipher what was being said.

Feet carefully paced back to her partner, a curious intensity now slathered on her face as it shook of the confusion forced upon her by the painting.

“What do we do? Storm in?” She’d question, leaving the decision in his hands.

----

At Naomi's question Hugo thought back to the earlier room, how the door squealed.

"Hm. Who knows how long it has been since the door hinges were oiled. If we storm in it will alert whatever's inside to our presence," the Daeform mused. They were meant to search the building thoroughly for their query but also keep a low profile. A familiar trill of nerves lurked beneath Hugo's stoic facade. Damnit. The mission had barely begun and he already felt like he was failing.

Then the noise faded, causing Hugo to internally curse himself again. He glanced back at Naomi.

"Keep back,"

Ever so slowly the charm maker brushed the door open with one hand, the other still at his baton and raked his hazel eyes over the room. Hugo wasn’t sure whether to be relieved or disappointed that this room seemed to be identical to the others. Packed to the brim with furniture. With a light sigh Hugh stepped in to give everything a once over before returning to the corridor.

"So far everythin’ seems clear. Think it might be time for us tae move on,"

Yes, they needed to hurry. They were burning moonlight. Hugo would walk over to the spiral staircase, making note of how far up it snaked through the house. The elusive third floor. What could await them up there?

----

Naomi stood impatiently as Hugo idled over opening the door. If it were up to her, she would have thrown it open in an instant, for it seemed like the more immediate threat seemed to lurk right before them. Unfortunately, there was nothing to see in the room, placing more question marks in the head of an already confused mind.

Eyebrow raised as a finger reached up to hit the lip of her thoughtful expression, Naomi went to face Hugo after her own eyes scanned the room after him.

“Are your ears in good shape, old man? Not hearing ghosts, are you now?” She would question, masking her critique in a good dose of dry humour. Given the information they had, there seemed to be no logical explanation in her head for whatever Hugo claimed to hear.

As they made their way towards the wooden steps, Naomi couldn’t help but repeatedly look over her shoulder at the sublime beauty behind her. She needed to see this through.

“Wait.” Cipher uttered abruptly, taking to a standstill.

“I need to check something out before we go. Something doesn’t sit right with me.”

And with that, the grey witch made her way to the painting, looking back to see if her partner in crime would follow. Either way, she was content with the outcome, for she wasn’t afraid to split up. She could hold her own, and Hugo surely could too.

--

When Cipher went back to investigate the painting Hugo simply shrugged and shadowed the witch. If she felt something was amiss he didn’t want her to face it alone. The Daeform looked over Naomi’s shoulder at the painting he’d overlooked upon his initial scan of the corridor. Upon first inspection Hugo admitted the scene painted was pleasing to the eye, something Clarissa would have enjoyed before the...attack.

Unconsciously his hand went to the charm hidden under a linen shirt as bad memories attempted to sink in their claws from the dark corners of his mind. Lord in heaven, why was it still so hard several months after the event? Looking for a distraction Hugo would look back at the painting; this time noticing the far more grisly details hidden in plain sight within the oily colors. Images of death and decay made the man’s stomach curl and brows furrow into a troubled line.

He had a bad feeling about this...

--------

As she eagerly inched forth towards the painting, Naomi’s eyes glistened once again in curiosity, intensity building up inside like a low, bellowing force trying to surge out of her chest. Her steps neared the painting more and more. Soon, she would learn that this feeling- this sensation, was something all too familiar.
Devoid of true choice, It was without hesitation that she placed her hand on the dark piece whose aesthetic called out to her in a chilling allure. Her fingertips had merely grazed the hardened paint when a sudden surge rushed through her arm, joining the suffocating feeling within. But her hand did not pull back. Instead, it fully collided with the canvas, taking in every inch of this unraveled secret, before gentle releasing.

Apparently, a part of this castle’s story had gone unnoticed.

“You don’t feel it, do you?” Cipher would question, continuing to inspect the painting with vigilant eyes.

“I’m afraid we may be in more trouble than expected.”

fear is a reaction​

The Tower is commonly interpreted as danger, crisis, destruction, and liberation. It is associated with sudden unforseen change

▸ Fossegrim Plutoni Plutoni , The Hostess Danidify Danidify , Alice
location ▸ random room in a random hallway​

Amused and pleasantly surprised, the Hostess let herself be led just for a bit as they maneuvered across the main hall in graceful symbiosis. There was no need for words or disruptive actions, just the sway of beautiful hymns that guided them through the maze of the dance floor. It was peaceful, yet sublimely sensual at the same time. Just the way she liked it.

Then the song ended, and the rhythm shifted.

Coming to a halt, the Hostess gleefully peered up at her swan of the golden pond, inquisitive eyes breaking through her mask.

“Would you perhaps care for a short.. tour of the castle, Claudius?.” Mischief colored her voice, a playful smile revealing her pearly whites.

As if she didn’t really need an answer, her hand had already slipped into his, holding tightly as she began to walk away from the crowd towards one of the ‘out of bounds’ hallways that, though guarded by the watchful eyes of a butler, seemed to be open for access to her and her companion.

And so they moved out, moving into a spacious yet rather mundane corridor that housed a series of doors on the right and a broad display of wooden stairs at the end. Paintings lined the walls, and several potted plants and chandeliers kept the area lively and light respectively.

⋄​

Paris had been more than ready to go again, even if he had to take pity on the poor hostess’s feet after sweeping her around the floor with such spirit and move on to find another lovely partner with whom to share the joys of the evening. But, apparently, she had other plans for him - seeing the look in her eyes, he decided that they were plans he didn’t entirely object to. His eyebrows shot up at the forthright strength with which she gripped his hand, pulling him from the dancefloor and out towards an empty hallway.

“I- a tour?” he repeated as she led him away through the crowds, smile widening, rolling the word and all its roguish implications across his tongue. “I’d be thrilled.”

Still. He took only a quick glance back over his shoulder at where the other couples had begun another waltz, feeling a faint, unknown prick of apprehension, distractedly trying to estimate how far into the night they already were. Ah, it didn’t matter - he placated himself with the memory of her saying that it would be a short tour. He’d have time for another dance later.

Paris hadn’t taken much note of where they were even going, too preoccupied with his companion as she walked before him and the burning knowledge that they were disappearing away together in full view of every other guest who cared to look, his thoughts almost quivering with delight at how fun and bold this stranger was turning out to be. He met the butler’s eye as he moved past, reflexively expecting to be stopped or questioned, shooting him a grin when he inevitably was not. It had been an inspired idea to choose the hostess. The most exciting lady at the ball just so happened to have the keys to the entire castle, and for him, they were keys she was willing to use.

Their pace slowed a touch as they entered the empty corridor, the noise and music of the masquerade behind them already beginning to fade. Paris took the opportunity to quickly take in these new surroundings, eyes skimming the walls and the stairs with mild curiosity, far more interested in his companion than any dull decor but resolved to make at least the first obligatory comment on it regardless.

“You strike me as something of an art connoisseur, my lady - Harrogate’s got quite the gallery, has it not?”

⋄​

The ocean. beautiful and enigmatic. Brimming with colorful life but also has a touch of death. It can be peaceful but it can also be treacherous and dangerous. Filled with hapless prey and cunning predators. Certainly, the ocean has a way of hiding its true emotions. Waves might be calming or soothing but under the depths, there is something waiting to lunge and snatch its victim. Just like the celebration they were in as of the moment. They do not know who's the beast that is about to attack them ruthlessly and mercilessly.

Lily's eyes swept the crowd casually, hoping to see her friends and colleagues but to no avail, all she saw were a sea of masks and chattering crowd. The motif also reminded her of a song. Hmm. What were the lyrics again?

Masquerade!
Hide your face,
So, the world will
Never find you!

Under one of these masks is a sly hunter, just waiting for the opportune moment to strike and fish out a poor unfortunate soul.

Trace of rouge . . .
Face of beast . . . Faces . . .
Take your turn, take a ride
On the merry-go-round . . .
In an inhuman race . . .

They are still not certain on what they are after but pieces of the puzzle are falling one by one though there is no definite picture. Not yet.

Drink it in, drink it up,
Till you've drowned
In the light . . .
In the sound . . .

Her eyes finally spotted her pretend cousin. As expected, Paris delivered whatever tasks he was meant to do. Lily reckons that it was never a task for him. It's an impulse. The call of the stage and spotlight is too beckoning for him to turn the other cheek. He has the moment, and Lily can see how he's intrigued and enjoying it at the same time. It's like watching an alcoholic staring at an expensive wine cellar...

Seething shadows
Breathing lies . . .
Masquerade!

And Viktor. Annoyed as she was with his plan, she can't deny the beauty in simplicity. But why is he taking so long?? Instead of standing like a wallflower, Lily took a notice of the crowd near her. A man, old enough to be her father she presumed was in a trance. Drowning himself with an expensive liquor available. The couple near her was chatting about the intricacies of the arts around them. Her head finally flitted back towards the dancefloor, hoping to see Paris again. She wanted to check the others and thought Paris could help her out but the blond young man is currently being pulled away from the crowd by the masked female.

She knew Paris could take care of himself. He can be powerful enough if he willed himself to but knowing herself, it will be a nuisance to her if she did not check on him. Tired of being a wallflower, Lily put down her flute of champagne and decided to follow the couple within a safe distance.

The mask lady could be something dangerous, or she could just be a nobody and Lily is finally eager to find it out.

⋄​

The hostess chuckled at Claude’s attempt to make conversation, continuing her walk through the corridor. Her guest was cute- endearing almost. Those wishful puppy dog eyes definitely had a charm to them, so blissfully unaware.

“It sure does, though I must admit most of them aren’t quite my taste. I prefer pieces more… dynamic and alive.” The hostess would turn, giving Claude a mischievous wink before coming to an abrupt standstill just meters away from the last door of the corridor.

“Here, I’ll show you my favourite piece.”

Moving to the door, the Lady in Red effortlessly turned the knob, pushing the door open and holding on until Claude would enter. The painting would be sat on the opposite wall, staring right at them.

Colorful pastel roses, daisies and daffodils and green petals created a circle on the canvas, swirling to the center of the piece, where a hummingbird peacefully rested on a sunflower. Its glassy, black eye marked the very middle of the canvas, resting almost at eye-level. Artistically it was already breathtaking, but what made it even more exciting was the almost hypnotic, illusory sensation that it could evoke should one look too long. It was as if the colours shook and danced all over the painting, flowers blending into typhoons as the hummingbird shone in colours almost too vibrant for the eye to fathom.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?” The hostess had made her way to the middle of the room after having nonchalantly locked the door from the inside.

“It gets better when you focus solely on the centre, just forget about everything else..” Her hand snaked its way up his arm before softly locking onto his shoulder, massaging back and forth.

Leaning towards him, The hostess would place her mouth close to his ears, gently whispering:

“Do you see it yet?” Her hand slid down again, attempting to now scurry into the grasp of his hand.

“Do you see the truth, Claudius?” She’d add, her voice an enigma of suggestive and sensual yet mysterious tones.

Smiling brightly, the Hostess would flick the ring on her ring finger, an ever so slight metallic clang following before a sudden pinch, almost like that of a needle, would project to her darling’s hand.

Immediately, the soft, velvety voice of the Hostess took a darker character, slipping into more crude, harsher tones as she whispered in a language unbeknownst to the other. Should everything have gone correctly, the world would begin to spin for her poor, now nauseous swan, his body gradually beginning to feel as if it had sustained much more alcohol than it truly had.

“Swans don’t mix well with foxes, Claudius.”

As her hand - stained red in the blood of two - retracted, the painting before them opened up, two tall, masked butlers moving out and immediately rushing to the masked man.

⋄​

Paris had at least tried to squint at the painting before his attention was diverted elsewhere, namely onto the more interesting, physical things in his immediate surroundings. He’d never really understood fine art. It was a pretty painting, sure, but that was all he could really say. He glazed it over the moment he felt the pleasant, muted graze of her hand through the fabric of his jacket. No, he had to give it some credit - it certainly made a nice backdrop for this scandalous little unfolding of events.

He played along as she spoke in his ear, humming sagely at her words, eyes barely focused but fixed upon the painting in ready and entertained compliance with this unusual game of seduction. His mind was working fast, already knowing his next move as her hand slid into his-

“Do you see the truth, Claudius?”

But his brow creased in faint confusion, the heady atmosphere suddenly pulling a little thin.
What?

Paris yelped as the needle bit into his skin, immediately jerking back a step, then two - he stared at his hand, thoughts faltering as the prick of scarlet slowly, starkly blossomed into his white glove. The glow of the evening splintered. His gaze jerked back up towards her as sounds he didn’t understand began to pour from her lips, eyes wide, accusing, suddenly fearful, and the edges of the room sluggishly lurched with them.

“What the hell did you-“ but the words caught in the back of his throat as it closed with rising nausea, the floor beneath his feet beginning to roll. Like a ship’s deck. His heart clenched.

His leg gave out as he bolted for the door. Paris veered awkwardly to the side, falling to his knees upon the carpet, his mask slipping from his face. He almost flipped himself too far over as he lunged back upright, arms flooded and burning with adrenaline-spiked strength, staggering back with the momentum as the door weaved before him. He felt sick. Poison - what was he supposed to do about poison? Or was she casting some kind of enchantment? Was the needle just a decoy? He didn’t want to be turned into Sleeping Beauty. His mind spun. He didn’t know, he couldn’t think - he just needed to get out, but as he yanked at the doorknob, it only rattled. Shit.

The door slammed back and forth in the frame, Paris feeling an ugly warping sensation through the handle as he yanked his weight against it, but the metal bolt held firm. The hostess spoke, but it hardly registered. He stopped as he heard new footsteps, quickly turning to press his back against the door, bracing himself upright as two new figures swam towards him.

“Don’t- don’t even try, no, no-“

His words were breathless with rising panic, just managing to lunge out of the way of the first grabbing hand, stumbling back out into the room, blinking rapidly as he tried to straighten his vision in vain. There was nothing within reach, no time - he swung at the next man but his head seemed to somehow warp out of the way, Paris’s knuckles only grazing his jaw. Again he fell, thrown out of balance. Four strong hands clamped down immediately. He jerked back with his elbow, connecting with something, loosening one of their grips only for a second far too brief. A dull, momentary jab of pressure into his calf suddenly reminded him of the knife strapped there - with a desperate flash of hope he lunged for it, but he was hauled up by the arms before his fingers even touched.

“Let me go! You can’t- I swear to god,” but he could only flail as they began to drag him backwards, feet trying to keep purchase, dizzy struggles slowing their progress but doing little to loosen the iron hold on his wrists. He began to weaken as the vertigo rose, breathing ragged, vision filled once again with the crimson field of the hostess’s dress. It was too much. He let out a strained, almost crazed bark of laughter.

“Fine! I see! I see it now!” he cried out, hysteria sparking in his eyes as the shadow of the painting’s entrance just began to fall over him. “I see the truth! Oh, yes! The truth is that you’re a goddamn psychopa-

⋄​

Lily wanted to hit something. Here she was, following what it seems like a very amorous couple into a secluded area of the chateau. If the two started on caressing and showing more affection to each other, she would definitely start throwing punches randomly for just wasting her time. Still, she shadowed the two into a wide corridor. There were no places to hide and so Lily waited at the corner, pretending once more to enjoy the decor before peering back again inconspicuously. Her heart almost sunk when the two vanished from the floor but it quickly gave a jolt of hope when she saw a particular door closing. With no people around, Lily sauntered towards the hall and waited in front of the room.

Plans ran through her head, she already prepared some sort of a spiel if she were caught, or if her suspect is nothing but a normal lady enjoying the company of a rake but alas, the floor was deserted.

While standing still, she felt rather silly. Arms crossed and with pursed lips, Lily was definitely considering seeking out the others and leaving Paris to his own devices. Maybe they were just there for some act of immorality or whatever Paris does. Hmm. Definitely maybe. She was just about to turn her back when the metal knob shook, as if someone was trying desperately to pry the door open.

Lily took a step closer towards the door and planted her ear to listen, her hand flew to her necklace, touching her holy relic as if it was a mantra. The sounds inside were somehow muffled but she can make up the words enough to know something else is happening. Without hesitating she unlaced her skirt, revealing a dark-colored breeches underneath. She silently thanked the heavens for such a comfortable garment. With only wearing the top part of her ball gown, her masks and trousers, along with low heeled boots and knee-high silken socks, it somehow all worked out. A peculiar style but it’s better than going on a fight on her voluminous and fancy dress. Lily then fished out her lock pick set from her left thigh sheath and proceeded to work.

“Let me go! You can’t- I swear to god,”
“Fine! I see! I see it now! I see the truth! Oh, yes! The truth is that you’re a goddamn psychopa-”

It took a moment but she managed to open the door and push them as quiet as she could. Knowing that she only has a couple of seconds to act, Lily then sprinted inside, assessing the situation as she goes. Not seeing any familiar faces aside from Paris who was somehow out of it, she made a move and attacked the nearest man. She's clearly outmanned but Lily knew she had to act now or risk losing Paris.

The lackeys towered over her but Lily managed to make it to her advantage just like during her training. She kicked the back of his knee, making him falter forward then she finished her move by holding the back of his shirt and punching him as hard as she could on the side of his neck twice. Still with the element of surprise, Lily took her ritual blade from her right thigh sheath and stabbed the other man on his side before giving him a nasty kick on his knee. Without her dress in tow, she was able to move flawlessly and easily.

Lily took a couple of steps back, just with enough distance to defend herself. She took a stance, the knife on her right hand while her left arm on a defensive pose. Her eyes shifted from the two men then lingered back to the lady.

"Oh, how the mighty have fallen.” Lily smirked, “Come now, dear cousin. Get up. You're wrinkling your vest." glancing at Paris who was clearly fighting for his consciousness. "You're embarrassing yourself in front of a lady." her tone is light and playful but her eyes are filled with tenacity, her body is running on adrenaline. She’s hoping that she doesn’t need to drag his body out of the room. If his clothing ended up somehow in a less than perfect state, she knew she wouldn’t hear the end of his ranting.

⋄​

Oh, how tragic.

The Lady in Red simply stood back and enjoyed the show as her support handled the ‘heavy lifting’. Truth be told, she couldn’t help but laugh a little at the Swan’s attempt to break free, obviously with little success.

It seemed not all variables had been accounted for, however.

Turning around rather nonchalantly, the Hostess laid eyes on a new plaything- a woman whose eyes gleamed with an exciting sense of confidence and motivation. In mere moments, her back-up laid groaning on the floor. Mildly disappointing, but no surprise.

What was a surprise, however, was the bladed woman and her apparent preparation. Gears were grinding on overtime as she stood in the corner, silently observing the situation.

“I didn’t know we were expecting a visitor. I’m afraid our silly Claude failed to mention you.” She sighed, lifting her hands up slowly as a token of feigned defeat.

Eyes glimmered gleefully as a foxy grin greeted Lily’s voice. As much as she was a nuisance, she could appreciate the stylistic choice in taking down a threat. Now it was her turn to give a show.

You see, the Lady in Red was no stranger to opposition or chaos. Years of dubious work had taught her plenty about preparation to know that there is no such thing as being too careful. This very castle mirrored her view perfectly.

“Unfortunate, truly, Claude. I thought we had something special.” Miss E. pouted teasingly as she took a few careful steps backwards, attempting to keep the two distracted and focused on all but the wrong signs. She had faith in the sway of the house, and it seemed like it would be quick to pay off.

With little anticipation, a small vial rolled into the room, a dense, grimm smoke oozing from the inside. The glass prison clinked against the side of a wooden stool, and- with that, the Hostess’s arms lowered.

“Don’t worry, we’ll meet again.”

With a volatile puff, the glass vial erupted into a cloud of dark mist, filling the room up swiftly and leaving only silhouettes visible. The two Butlers crouched up from their position, back to attack the two invaders with violent- yet admittedly weakened intent.

Eventually, the smoke would clear up, revealing the Hostess to have disappeared from her position. The colorful painting on the wall, however, was now folded outwards like a door, allowing front-seats to the seemingly lengthy tunnel that hid behind it. In the distance, one could see the gentle waves of a vermillion red dress, dark hair flowing as a woman seemed to sprint away.

⋄⋄⋄​

courage is a decision...

Lotti
We drift like ghosts;
We are lost. I am lost.
mood ❜ terrified

location ❜ chateau harrogate, secret passageway

company ❜ Lia and a creepy butler

tags ❜

Peeling back the frame of the painting, the hidden door creaked open. Cautiously, Lotti stepped inside the nearly-sightless tunnel. The ceiling, though just tall enough to allow Lotti to pass under without trouble, barely reached 6’0” in height, while the width might allow for two people to chafe past one another. Though hesitantly, Lotti pressed forward down the tunnel. To her right, the echo of a woman’s voice could be heard carrying down the narrow hall, similar in cadence to the mumbling she heard from Lia back in the corridor. Lotti followed after the rapid footsteps she heard scuffling further down, though at her own slow, cautious pace.

Lotti hadn’t expected the tunnel to be so… rocky. It was difficult to keep her footing as smooth and quiet as she wanted it to be, causing her to navigate through much slower than she would have. Nonetheless, the halls fell so silent that she had no trouble hearing where Lia was going. Why was everything so oddly shaped and uneven? On her way through, she had spotted several instances of ladders and stairs extending upwards into passages above—as well as wall panels similar to the one she came through. It was obvious now to Lotti that this tunnel stretched all through the chateau, with multiple entrances and exits hidden all throughout. Nearing one of them, Lotti even caught a glimpse of what appeared to be a peep hole gazing out into who knows where. She shuddered.

If this entire place already wasn’t creepy enough, this was something she’d only ever read in fairy tales. A secret door, leading to a secret passage, which led to even more secret passages… Lotti’s pace quickened as she passed one of the peep holes. She was nearly certain that if she were to look through it, another eye would be staring back at her.

“It’s always the same bloody story,” she heard Lia’s voice clearly, “Lia this, Lia that—I’ve got more talent than Phil and Lu combined. Why on earth am I doing the dirty work?” she continued, pulling a sharp corner before heading down a set of stairs.

Lotti froze in place, debating whether or not it was a good idea to go any further in. Turning, she gazed back at the long, stretching tunnel she’d come so far down. ... Where was she?

These tunnels were undoubtedly difficult for even the average person to navigate through, but it was only doubled for Lotti. There were little to no landmarks to work off of, and even then, it was like that sort of information got scrambled in her brain, anyway. She was overcome with that feeling she knew all too well—a state of oblivion that blurred out any sense of where she had come from, or where she was going. She could only guess that the way she felt regularly was what anyone would have felt in that tunnel.

With nowhere left to go, Lotti could only continue after Lia.

Her voice became close and clear once again. “And that stupid, condescending tone—you think you’re so pretty and elegant but we all know you’re an ugly old hag deep down.” Lia continued. As she came to a sudden stop, so did Lotti, who had been trying her best to walk in sync with Lia’s footfalls. Light soon began to fill up the tunnel from ahead as a door opened.

“Hey! What on earth are you doing here? You’re supposed to be near the cellar—we can’t miss the ritual or A will blame me again!”

Ritual? Lotti held her breath.

Lia’s voice became harder to make out the further in she walked. Lotti drew forward, straining to hear anything else, but just as soon as Lia exited the passage, she returned, her pace as quick as ever, dragging a masked man in tow.

“Oh, look what you’ve done now! Come on then, sir, you know your mask has to stay on fully.”

The man in question was dressed as a butler with a mask worn disheveled and slanted on his face, revealing pale, scarred skin and a dull, cloudy eye. Lotti froze, her eyes widening as she met glances with the butler, and then Lia’s

“Hey! Who are you?!” Lia’s voice wasn’t angry as Lotti expected—no, it was almost fearful.

Lotti’s mouth only hung open wordlessly—she could barely muster up any English, let alone anything comprehensible to anyone.

“Get her,” Lia said with the flick of a hand, sending the butler sprinting after her.

With distinct terror in her eyes, Lotti turned and fled back down the tunnel. Now, she believed she understood the purpose of why the passageway was built the way it was. Not only was it winding, tight, and confusing—absolutely anyone could get lost or cornered while attempting to navigate, especially if they were being pursued. It was like it was designed to be Lotti’s worst nightmare. Tears began to stream down her face as she ran, her hands outstretched in front of her.
code by valen t.

tumblr_ot94loLHxM1saikalo9_250.png

~x~x~

Interactions:
Basil Everleigh
Mentions: lion. lion. Danidify Danidify A A Bottle of Memories

Basil & Eddie Collab

It always began with an extended carnation.

A geranium. A rose. Tulip or daisy.

Caught, he was, with the quality of caring that was changeless and timeless of the who. In the privy between him and Eddie, there was an unmistakable cast of eyes that had the glaze of one that is wrapped by fear in his thick fur coat . In these circumstances, he could not blink, couldn’t explain the worst of it, or find the insoluble confidence to open his trembling mouth.

Shut it all. Shut it up. The omission of the chandelier lights were ascertained to be minute by minute brighter, and though its fluorescence was much more profuse and plentiful, his heart was encroached with darkness. Don’t let the angel’s words be true. He prayed. Prayed louder. The conductor of the orchestra repeated his whisking stick, and the notes yielded in respect. It seemed to occur that the orchestra only lurched forward more stronger in a period that concerned his whole fatal existence.

He gave… he gave flowers…

For hope.

“You’ll be fine Eddie,” Basil coaxed, unriven from giving up, “Fine, okay. Just here- yes rest your hand on my shoulder. Give me this hand-”

His earnest voice, excessively in consonance with his palpitating heart, cracked in panickstaken agony. He was panged with a peculiar sense of lost; where were they again? The faces were all leaden of altered animals and make-believe; the knowledge of his eyes could not break through their physical parades of identities. To do that with a near dead man’s white arm resting on the haunches of his neck felt like a curse that would not pass so easily.

“It’s okay,” he said softly, “Just keep holding on, Eddie.” With movement that was slightly deft, he found himself implicating the act of a starry-eyed and dozing man taken by alcohol. To any passerbys, the pair seemed nothing but stumbling off the glasses they had downed. He turned to the foot of the stairs, went halfway up and stared at the crowd. Someone from the Association find us! Find us!

In the despair of distance crossed and to be crossed, he snappily turned the first closest and open door. With Eddie’s weight leaning into him, he scampered through the door. The furniture gave little confusion of the room; there had been bed, tapestry, and a fluent carpet that spread to every corner. He set Eddie down on a small cot of a bed, before kneeling.

“Eddie!” he shouted in a whisper, “Stay with me.”

There came peace in times like this. It didn't happen for everyone, and those who had never experienced it were difficult to try to explain to. In times like this it was a tsunami
of chaos on the surface. The orchestra's music swelled as if egging on that chaos. The chatter of those around grew in support as well. The lights shone so bright it became unbearably
hot. Edmund, however, was beneath the surface, drifting into near nothingness. This provided a safe haven from the chaos, but brought a level of emptiness in its wake. Somewhere with the chaos he was aware of his friend speaking to him. The sound was distant and muffled as if talking to someone above water while the other was below. The psychic strained
to hear what Basil was saying. It was a conscious effort yet still impossible to make out. He was so focused on reaching the surface that he had failed to see that the emptiness began to change color. It swirled like smoke, twisting and mixing into darkened hues of reds and oranges until Eddie was forced to be drawn to it.

"Wha-?" His voice croaked, unable to form a whole word. The light continued to warp sickeningly until a familiar shape began to appear. The clear silhouette of a skull came into view.
The red light bent around the image like flowing red paint. Paint? Why paint? The word floated to the forefront of his mind. It was definitely paint. The colors swirled and mixed until
the skull faded and was replaced with a wilting flower. The paint continued to consume everything that formed in the confusing concoction of colors. First a skull, replaced by a wilting flower, then coins raining down and down and down down down and then... black. The images, the paint, the colors all were cut sharply by that familiar emptiness, and Eddie's muddled brain began to awaken. His blue gaze fluttered open only to see Basil's unusually pale face watching over him in worry.

"Basil?" Ah, there it was. His first coherent word. His friend looked so worried. Why? Where were they? What had happened that had caused such a reaction? The questions were not answered and were quite quickly forgotten about as darkness yet again swallowed him whole. Only this time the emptiness didn't last for long. He was suddenly standing in a dimly lit hallway. Candlelight was the only thing that provided his sight. Looking at his surroundings it was clear that this wasn't a place he had ever visited before. A stone interior stretched around him and the dank, chilling air that accompanied lead Eddie to one conclusion; he was underground. An odd sound came further down the hallway. The sound of something being dragged. These suspicions were confirmed when, from the dark where his light didn't quite reach, several figures appeared. Eddie tried to run, but his feet were firmly grounded. As the figures approached so did the two bodies they were dragging.

"Excuse me?!" He tried to shout, but his words fell on deaf ears. And, not surprisingly, the image yet again shifted until the scene was jumbled together. A few seconds later Eddie was then placed in front of a familiar face. Familiar, but terrifying. Eddie's breath caught in his throat when he recognized Julius' face. His team member stared, unseeing, his face drained of not only color but of life. His pretentious demeanor was all but gone, and Edmund suddenly found himself missing it more than anything in the whole world. He hardly had time to grieve over Julius because the psychic then noticed another face he recognized just beside him. It felt as if his heart had been wrenched out. It was his best friend Viktor.

"Vik?!" Again his voice seemed to make no real impact on the scene that played out before him. Both of them appeared broken and dazed.

"Tell me what happened, please!" Tears sprung quickly to his eyes. He still couldn't move and during his failed attempt to break free of the bonds his mind held on him he noticed another man slumped in the corner. This one he did not recognize and felt little concern compared to his friend's fates. The shock almost masked the careful touch of a slender hand that now rested on his shoulder. Almost. Eddie tried harder to move, just to tilt his head and see who was behind him, but to no avail. A chill shot down his spine as a woman slowly leaned in and whispered an odd phrase.

"Vita Mortalis." Her voice was soft like velvet but it held an unmistakable danger to it. His lip trembled in fear, worry, and something he had not felt in a long time; anger. His vision became blurred again but he tried to stay. Not now! He had to do something! Images of fox and swan masks flooded his mind suddenly and again he was swept into darkness. That was until he looked up. The faint glow of the candle grew further and further away as he fell down a hole. The last thing he saw were six masked people watching him until he woke with a gasp. Basil was still by his side, the same worried expression etched on his face. Eddie bolted upright with tears falling down his cheeks.

"Julius and Viktor they-they- and the woman! They're underground, they need help!" He tried standing but his knees buckled under him. Fatigue clouded his mind. The vision had taken so much out of him.

"Basil please, they need help!"

Basil was in his attendance; his body postponed against the altar of the bed. He wet his lips, worriedly.

“If I go-”

Usually, it was people who let go of Basil Everleigh. He told them their sinking fates, and many expectantly were never induced to listen in the first place. Exchanging a fitful laugh or a stroke of a nervous smile, their fingers would gather their flowers, and they would leave. Their backs would be witnessed walking away. For some of them, that was the last he saw of them. Some never came back. Minutes into contemplation, under suffering silence, he feebly protests, “If I go...there’s a chance you might not make it..”

If I don’t go, two more will be dead.

His breathing inwards exerted his stress. Reposing his mask to his warm forehead, he tries to regulate his intakes. Determining to stand himself up, he sluggishly pulled himself up.

“T-t-there’s only one thing that he can be done,” Basil says hesitantly on a thin line of lips, “I will go underground, but you must promise me to stay alive.”

He clenches his eyes closed, repeating, “Promise me.”

Eddie’s vision began restoring little by little as he started subconsciously making note of Basil’s body language while he spoke. He was stressed… conflicted. It was only natural he supposed but… the others. There wasn’t time!

He quickly nodded but had to rest against the wall again, the dizziness not entirely wearing down yet.

“I’ll be ok. I-I think… it was just my visions. I’ve never known them to appear while I’m awake but… I’ll be ok. I need you to watch out for yourself as well. I can’t have you getting hurt because I asked this of you.” His thoughts drifted to Lotti again, how he asked her to go into that room. How many people might get hurt because of him?

“Please find them. The minute I recover I’ll come and look for you ok?” When their agreement was settled the only thing Edmund could do was watch as Basil made his way out of the room.

‘Please watch over Basil and if your mercy extends to others… the rest of my friends as well.’ He silently prayed to Basil’s angel. Then he closed his eyes and exhaustion took over.

code by ditto (head empty go bonk)

Into The Dark...
Hugo stared wide eyed; body halfway poised to snatch Naomi away from the gruesome painting.

“Lord in Heaven woman, try to be more careful aye? That thing coulda’ been cursed for all we know!” Hugo almost immediately regretted the harsh words. Before continuing the Daeform would take a breath through his nose to better repress the sudden adrenaline spike.

“My apologies. Just, please, warn me the next time you plan to do something like this? For a moment I feared you had been bewitched by that wraith,”

When Hugo processed Noami’s warning his eyes narrowed as a wretched feeling settled in his gut.

“How do you mean? Are the others in danger?” he inquired.

---
The abrupt pull surprised Naomi perhaps even more-so than the sullen touch of the painting, turning around in vigilance, expecting to see something else than her comrade. Her combative instinct withered away as she saw that Hugo was to blame for the disruption, but her face remained wary as she looked at him. Compared to her, he seemed much more on edge, which was admittedly surprising.

Naomi remained quiet for a second, unsure how to respond to the explosive response. Fortunately, Hugo was quick to apologise, easing the tension she had felt.

“I’ll forgive you this time.” She’d respond, lining her tone with some sassy wit.
At the hands of Hugo’s last question, Naomi turned back around to face the painting, eyes tracing the sides in case she had missed anything valuable.

“Maybe, though we knew we’d be in danger the moment we stepped into this castle anyway, no?”

A finger began to gently trace the frame, head bending to the side.

“I can feel something dark behind here, I can’t quite pinpoint it but it’s a bad omen to say the least. If only we could-”

As if fate heard her future words, a clicking noise sprung from the painting, suddenly allowing Naomi to open it outwards with a mere nudge of her hand. There they stood, staring into a dim, cramped, candle-lit passage that seemed to move forth farther than their eyes could comprehend.

“Well, talk about the dark.” She’d utter sarcastically, looking to the side to see Hugo’s response.
-------------

Ah, a passageway perhaps meant for the staff to traverse the mansion unseen by guests or masters. While this would certainly help in keeping hidden Naomi’s ominous words made Hugo’s guard slam up. Could their quarry be up ahead? Ghosting just beyond the dim light’s reach ready pounce on any poor soul would stumbled into its patient jaws?

With steady movements that contradicted his drumming heart Hugo slipped the truncheons from their hostlers, twirling the batons between steady fingers before settling them into a grasp that had been hammered into him by the combat instructors. The older man then turned to Cipher. His normally steel eyes gaining a brassy hue under the candlelight.

“Stay sharp lass. If we encounter our creature in there I shall attempt to distract it while you prepare the tether,” the Deaform said in a low whisper. He hoped the witch wouldn’t take offense to the plan. It wasn’t that he thought her incapable, as someone married into a family of magic users Hugo knew first hand the kind of power they commanded, but they had know idea how dangerous the spectre was.

‘Better I take the blows than her,’

-----

Naomi watched aimlessly into the dark, her legs shaking ever so slightly at the hands of the new progressions. Never would she admit to be afraid of such trivial things, but it sure was getting somewhat unnerving.

Looking to the side, Naomi watched as Hugo prepared himself for combat, unsure whether she too would do the same. She would’ve liked to keep her hands empty in order to utilize her true weapon, but the dark corridors didn’t exactly pose for a structured, overseeable battlefield. So, reluctantly, she pulled a slim knife from the side of her boot, keeping it handy just in case.

“Deal, just don’t do anything stupid, okay? We-”

“Hey! Who are you?”

A voice echoed from far within the hidden passages, bouncing off the walls in perfect timing to cut off the now distracted Grey Witch. Her ears perked up like a dear as she froze slightly, eyes shifting inquisitively at the hands of this newfound voice.

“Get her.” It came again, this time softer and followed by distant rumbling.

So many questions littered her mind that she couldn’t possibly comprehend them all, but there was no true time for thinking. Perhaps she was biased, but she couldn’t help but feel almost certain that this anonymous ‘her’ would be one of their own. That meant one of 3 things: 1; Lily would be fighting, 2; C would be bartering, or 3; Lotti would be lost.

“Let’s go.” She uttered simplistically, legs virtually moving before the first word was even uttered. A sprint pulled her into the maze of corridors.

---

“Hey Who are you?”
“Get her,”

It felt like every muscle contracted at once upon hearing those words. Not good. Definitely not good. Hugo was already preparing to move as Naomi darted forward, the pair now racing through the passageway like two bats out of Hades. The cobblestone flew under their feet while the mounted candles were reduced to yellow-orange blurs. Ignoring the clops of their own thundering foot falls the Daeform zeroed in on the adjacent noises. At first he could just barely make them out but steadily they were getting louder.

Though a part of him hoped it wasn’t, Hugo had a sinking feeling the one being chased was one of their comrades. Did that mean things had gone wrong on their end? Was someone captured? Was someone hurt? Had someone been...no, no he dared not finish that thought. A short time later, while the other foot steps he’d been tracking were getting louder and more defined Hugo also detected another sound. Heavy breathing? No, there was a hysterical edge to it. It sounded like...sobbing.

Suddenly a fierce protectiveness washed over Hugh, lending an extra burst of speed to his pistoning legs. ‘Hang on. I am almost there,’ he silently promised.

Chapter 1.5
A Rude Awakening
Viktor [@Girl In a Bottle] - Moments Earlier
The wall had given way at Viktor’ touch. Indeed, it was not all too surprising to find its true nature was that of a door. Yet as his hand reached for the handle- he tore it away as if it were glowing hot. It was instinct- a jolt that shot up his spine, awakening some deeply-ingrained terror- one that howled at him to leave. Perhaps he would’ve, had there not been something else far more effective at guiding his will. Truly, fascination had drawn him forth like a moth to a flame, as the lingering traces of that sweet aroma beckoned him.

Thus he descended down into the depths, a steep set of steps carrying him up to another door. His hand traced the door handle looking for a lock, expecting resistance of some form, yet it gave way without complaint. Odd. Certainly, it was a good thing the one running this place hadn’t expected any unwelcome visitors, but that brought up questions of its own. Guests may not be out looking for glimmers of light in a storage- but surely, they wouldn’t be so lax as to not consider the staff…?

Carefully, he creaked open the door and peeked his head through- only to find himself gazing upon a room of wonders. Elaborate alchemical setups of all varieties were set upon wooden tables, bubbling, sizzling, and gently simmering away, as a familiar painted skull stared him down from the wall opposite to the entrance. A painting- one he’d seen before in the main hall, but he didn’t spare it much thought. No, no, his interest was far more drawn to the equipment set up before him.

Yet as he stepped forth, his mind and body slipped from his grasp, even if only momentarily. It was enough for him to collapse against the wall, instinctively grabbing hold for support as his senses dulled. It was a sensation he was all too familiar with- he didn’t think he’d ventured that far out, but clearly his box disagreed. Troublesome...But he’d already come this far.

The reward for his troubles, however, was plentiful. His gaze followed the kettle’s steam into a contraption of boiling vermillion slurry, the texture of berries still evident within, eyeing as the steam carried onwards into a separate beaker, a familiar liquid collecting within. Steal distillation. He was familiar enough with the theory- that meant they were extracting something from within to produce the wine-esque substance he’d spotted before.

Indeed, there was a dissected stalk of vermillion red berries and flowers, much akin to that of a belladonna, set on that same table. A used mortar and pestle laid nearby, stained in red, as the remaining berries leaked a powerful aroma that pierced his brain and dulled his senses. That was all he could register before he tore himself away, making note to dig around in his old herbology books later.

Lastly, a trio of books caught his eye. Foreign in its writing, he recognised the symbology from his language lessons. This was no ordinary spoken tongue no- if he had to guess, these were indeed related to witchcraft. Though it’d been troublesome to learn much of it from her, Cipher had taught him at least that much.

Still. The haze had lingered, clouding his senses and dulling his mind. Perhaps that was why he hadn’t heard the man coming, until the connection between mind and body was severed entirely, as his body fell to the floor, like a puppet cut from its strings. In his last waking moments- clinging to consciousness he almost could’ve sworn he’d heard Julius’ obnoxious voice calling out to him. How funny that would’ve been...

The Masked Woman [@Kimby]
Soon after, the masked woman had entered the small room in the back of the kitchen to find an amusing scene in front of her. Giving no time for the other to react, a whirlwind of quick movements and steady hands gave her an advantage as she successfully knocked down her target- the bartender. Her accomplice laid unconscious just ahead of them along with the other waiter that she had been suspicious of. The woman went out into the kitchen to enlist the help of two largely imposing chefs to carry everyone away from the scene without being noticed by anyone else.

After being able to wake her accomplice, and tie up the suspicious men, she dismissed her allies, requesting some time alone with the two. One wave of her hand sent the two burly figures out of the room immediately while the finer dressed waiter hesitantly strayed to the side. It seems that he still held some grievance towards the one that had managed to take him down. But she reassured him that she would see to it that both men will get what they deserve. She was confident in herself to be able to pull their secrets right out of them.

Before both men were able to open their eyes, she glided herself behind them, whispering a little song into their ears and running a finger on the back of the necks. The appearance in the room stayed the same for her, but for her victims, will allure them in a false sense of comfort. The dilapidated walls now adorned with a fresh crimson wallpaper as the room furnishes itself in luxury French interior. The only artifact left behind was the faint musty smell of rotting wood and decayed furniture.

The woman in the mask exited the room momentarily, giving some time for the two to wake up and be conscious enough to answer her questions. Whether that be willingly or not.

Indeed, soon enough a trail of light crept beneath the door, cutting through Vik’s eyelids and cruelly tugging his mind from the depths of its slumber. Awareness spread through his head like a crack in a beaker, the pain coming and going with every beat of his heart, whilst his back complained at his poor posturing. Instinctively, his hand grazed against the surface beneath him, tracing the velvet smooth fabric beneath his fingertip. It was warm. Comfortable, quite unlike the rocky surface of the secret room he’d found. Indeed, the sweet scent had gone- replaced by a foul scent of rotting wood and decayed furniture. The odd contrast queued behind more important questions: where exactly was he? It was enough for his eyes to finally flutter open- his mind racing to catch up on the events that transpired, as memories flowed in.

He recalled his last moments with pained sobriety, cursing at himself for not staying more aware of his surroundings. Naturally- getting caught was a path he’d considered and accepted as a risk, however, getting his co-worker involved in the mess was not something he could accept as readily. Honestly, to think it would involve others in his mess- it was something he should have taken into consideration, yet didn’t. A thought he’d keep to himself, though he could feel the other presence stir. He had bigger problems on his mind, considering the situation- the first was getting Julius awake- a problem which resolved itself in moments.

Julius [@Danidify]
Just like that, the lights jumped on again.

All in all, the little involuntary nap wasn’t all that bad. There was a rather bothersome stinging sensation pestering the back of his head, but other than that he couldn’t complain. The scenery was surprisingly beautiful too, but even Jules would know better than to let down his guard.

Taking a good look around the room, Julius laid eyes on exactly no one- bar the seemingly puzzled face of Mr. Glasses. Though clearly unwarranted, the bartender couldn’t help but chuckle at the ridiculous situation they were in now: two seniors tied up like pathetic little rookies who just failed their practice mission. If only this was practice.

Slowly but surely, the memories of what had happened began to fall back into place. His head magically seemed to start hurting more when he memorised how he had been carrying around that stupid box, but there was one thought that dominated all others.

Now, which son of a bitch had knocked him out.

That’s all Julius wanted to know at this point. He had already thrown a punch at the prick that supposedly took out Viktor, so he wasn’t afraid to let another one fly. Unfortunately, it seemed that restraints were placing his admittedly violent plans on halt.

“Enjoying the party?” he’d mumble, his usual sassy tone now slightly beaten down by the impending doom of the scenario. Granted, Jules wasn’t actually interested in Vik’s appraisal of the Harrogate fiesta, it was a snarky attempt to figure out whether the poor man could properly speak and respond.

“Happen to have any plans brewing in that big head of yours?” Julius would add, weakening the volume of his voice given he wasn’t sure whether others might be listening in. At this point, nothing would surprise him anymore.

Viktor [@Girl In a Bottle]
“Oh yes, just having a blast”, Vik uttered with a sigh, eyeing the other for a moment “I trust you didn’t find your way here following a spectre, hm?” A stupid question, really. The answer was obvious. Tch. Was the stress getting to him already...? Still, he wasn’t wasting time- he’d already eyed the room and tried the ropes binding his wrists. The latter would be easy enough to handle- but whatever laid behind those doors would require a more clever solution. After all, they’d taken good care to set up the scene of their arrival- that meant they wanted something from them- likely the same Vik wanted from them in turn: information.

However, getting it would mean functionally working together with Jules. Not a problem in theory- their goals aligned after all. Still. Vik knew better than anyone that, brilliant as he was, the boy had a mind of his own. A pesky thing to factor into his plans, really. It certainly wasn’t something Viktor liked to rely on, but with the situation as it was, he might as well have Jules put that creativity of his to good use.

A sudden chill up his spine made him turn away again from the other, lowering his voice to a hushed whisper at the growing proximity of his box. “You’ve got a good head on your shoulders- so just follow my lead, and I’ll follow yours-”

”We’re about to have some company.”

Status

Viktor: Awake, alive, on guard
Julius: Awake, alive, annoyed
Masked mystery lady: On her way to kick ass

Mentions

None
coded by natasha.

Users who are viewing this thread