• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Forgotten Shards

Damian could clearly see that Sarah was indeed not a 'morning person', as it looked like she didn't get much sleep. He took out the packets of sugar and cream from his pocket and handed the items to Sarah. 'Talk?' thought Damian. He didn't question about this so call talk but he didn't think it was going to be much fruitful for either of them. There was something about Sarah that distinguishes her from the other magic users he encountered during his stay on the surface. He didn't know what fact about her that makes her special but his instincts are telling him to keep an eye on her.

Damian then sat in the passenger seat of the car and looked out of the window, recording certain landmarks and locations. It was a conditioned response for him to know his surrounding and use said surroundings for counterattacks as his job as a commander. The drive was silent among the two with the only exception to the car's engine. Though the silence didn't last long as Sarah's question breathed into the space.

Damian lightly turned his head towards Sarah, a curious glint in his eyes. "Really? I would think all regions has an orderly military." He paused in speaking, gently tapping his fingers against the arm rest before falling still. "It is easier to defend with a large military, when you have much to lose." He said with a small tilt of his head, his eyes showing nothing. After answering Sarah's question Damian turned towards the window once more.

If it was one thing the Dokkalfor knew it was prying and maintaining order. Damian knew that Sarah was fishing for more information and he was willing to pacify her questions as long as they do not require him to give too much. He would only give her some details about him for her persistence. The Dokkalfor preferred their society to be structured and balanced. It was more logical considering the amount of citizens underneath his father's rule to have a large military. The same goes for his will to protect his people. For if he fails- it shall be a bloodbath of the common and noble alike. Damian was confident that his brother, Valefor will have plans should he fail however he rather not burden him with his failure.

Damian then spoke, his voice breaking the silence. "What are your thoughts on the Scales?" To most this seems like a bizarre question but to him it isn't. His people understood that 'nothing is given', it is merely an exchange. By living underneath the surface they were graced with gems and ancient magic within the rocks, however they do not feel the rays of the sun only shadow. It is similar to his situation, by answering her question he has the right to ask own of his own.

Last edited by a moderator:
His initial answer told her much and nothing at all. Clearly he wasn’t from around here. And the statement that it’s easier to defend with a large military was on par with “water is wet”. Still, the regimented way he approached answering her question said he was a creature of order. That didn’t narrow the field much in attempting to discern his nature, but she hadn’t expected it to. She had hoped that he had thought on her statement from the night before: that she would not allow him to take the ring (or any artifact) until she understood more about who he was and why he wanted it.

No such luck.

If she had known the reason for his return question, that he was looking at their conversation as a quid-pro-quo exchange, she would have teased him and pointed out that he hadn’t shared much at all. As it was, she mistakenly believed it was his attempt to engage her in conversation. “Scales?” The word seemed to have weight the way said it. She smirked first, speaking as she glanced in the rear view mirror. “I don’t bother with them. It seems ... unnecessary,” she teased.

Her smile faded as she spotted a black sedan in the mirror. She punched the gas slightly before she continued her answer. “But if you speak of balance, it is essential. Without it, we are lost.” Of course it was a half-answer, providing nothing of substance; just as his had been. It also happened to be the truth. She had re-built her existence around the concept of maintaining the fragile balance of power and protecting mortals from obliterating themselves via their ignorance.

She fell into silence after that, occasionally glancing at the rear view mirror as they traveled east. The black sedan didn’t make any further appearances, not until they passed through the next major city where sedans were plentiful. By then, she had chalked up her earlier nervousness to paranoia. She didn’t stop for meals or the restroom (unless he asked) until well into the afternoon. Then she found a small diner not far from the highway. The parking lot was full of semis - a good sign that their food was edible.

Sarah spoke for the first time as they pulled off the highway. “I don’t know about you, but I need to stretch my legs. We’ll grab food here and continue on.” As they pulled into the parking lot, she looked at him curiously. “Unless you’re vegetarian? I suspect we might need to seek out another place to eat if so.” The diner looked like the kind of place that cooked the vegetables in bacon grease.

Damian was a slightly glad that Sarah understood the fragile balance order is plagued with, regardless of the jab the red-head told earlier. Although she is right that Scales have little use besides measuring. As they continued to travel down the countryside, Damian thought of his next step. He hasn't made much progress with Sarah, it was expected as much. Currently he felt they were at a stalemate, as if they were two chess players merely chasing each other across the board and not actually playing the game. If this keeps up they would get no where and he would lose the ring. He would have to disclose more information. As any good commander knows sacrifices must be made - no matter how reluctant they are to do so. Luckily he won't be losing an eye - this time.

Before he opened his mouth to engage a conversion, Damian noticed that Sarah was showing slight hints of stress. Figuring it was in no relation towards him, as she was teasing him before. Damian surveyed out of the window to find the source of the problem, only to find nothing unusual. Damian didn't comment or ask about what was plaguing Sarah's thoughts as it was probably nothing. He figured it was better to stay silent until they reach their destination or until he tells her more about his people. They drove well into the afternoon, he didn't ask for Sarah to stop for meals as he wasn't hungry. And besides he didn't need to consume much food compared to humans. However Sarah pulled into a diner parking lot, he merely shrugged his shoulders to her question. "I'm not a vegetarian so don't worry about it." His people did eat meat though it was hard to come by due to being underground. Their main diet is roots, fungi, fish, and certain gems.

Although the diner was not busy, the low ceiling and hard surfaces amplified the hum of conversation when they stepped inside. It grated on Sarah's nerves, but only a little, and not because she minded the language of the truckers or the too-loud laughter of the teenagers in the booth in the corner. Instead, it reminded her of what she had lost.

In her prime, she could hear the thoughts of thousands - if not hundreds of thousands - of people at once. As a goddess, she had explored and drank in their minds, their secrets. When that started to fade, it had been the clearest sign of her waning power. She cursed each lost decible in that cacophany. When it had grown truly quiet, she had thought the press of the silence would drive her insane. It nearly had.

How times had changed. Now she cherished the quiet.

One thing had not changed, however. She loved admiration and attention. She fed on it, in fact. Thus when nearly all eyes fell upon the two of them as they stepped through the door, she paused to silently soak in the attention. They were each far prettier than the usual patrons, and each of them had their share of admirers, depending upon the preferences of the observer.

Catching the gaze of the hostess, Sarah pointed to a booth near the back where both she and Damian would have a clear view of the door, then led her stoic companion there and grabbed a menu off the table. After ordering water to start, she looked over the menu, "I only request you avoid the beans," she said with a slight smirk. It faded, however, when she spied a black sedan exiting the highway and turning in the direction of the diner.

A waitress was walking by their booth toward the kitchen. Sarah caught her wrist and offered a purposefully disarming smile. "Excuse me. Is there a back way out of here?"

The aging bottle blonde looked down at Sarah over her reading glasses. "Why, hon?" She shot a meaningful glance toward Damian, as if asking if he were the cause for the question. "You looking to run?" Her tone somehow conveyed both matronly concern and a warning against trying to run on the bill.

Sarah grinned and released the other woman's wrist, looking to Damian with a bright conspiratorial smile before answering the waitress with mirth in her tone. "No. He just bet me I wouldn't make a scene." Sticking her tongue out playfully at Damian, she grinned, although her gaze flitted once to the parking lot outside in the middle of her charade. "Is that enough of a scene for you?" she asked teasingly.

The waitress shot a look of pity Damian's way. "You've got your hands full with this one, hon, don't you?"

As they entered the diner, Damian peered at the customers seeing how they acted and conversed. He knew regardless of how he acted like one, he was not a mortal. There were some things mortals did that makes no sense to him. There was no use to think such pointless distractions, he must only focus on his goal.

Damian silently followed Sarah and setteled himself on the booth. He picked up the menu on the table and pretended to look at the items. After they order a glass of water, Damian lightly chuckled from Sarah's banter. He then notice Sarah freeze up in tension, he lightly noted that Sarah's eyes were looking at the space above Damian's head. 'A window' he thought, 'she must have saw something, but what.' He knew it would be only a moment till he could guess what is wrong, but he isn't a mind reader so deduction reasoning was key to the puzzle.

Damian was trying to figure out what was wrong and subtle began to raise his guard even further. He didn't try to summon his shadows; too many people. He turned his head towards Sarah, the girl was currently talking to the waitress about another way out of the establishment. When the aging blonde glanced at him, he only responded with a raised eyebrow.

Damian let out a soft scoff and playfully shook his head before rolling his eyes at Sarah. "To be honest, I thought you were going to do something more drastic." He then turned towards the blonde waitress, "I do. . .but she keeps me on my toes and I wouldn't have it any other way." Damian then ended their act by smiling at Sarah as if she was his lover. It would be unnerving to others at how effortlessly he could switch facades and roles as he wished.

To further continue the façade of the caring boyfriend and to avoid any suspicion to the other patrons. Damian leaned forward and whispered in Sarah's ear, "Someone's tailing us, right?" He leaned back with a grin and amused maroon eyes to make any watchful eyes assume he said a joke.

Sarah's initial concern that Damian would lack the skill to play along with her charade evaporated as he took her cues and ran with them. His flirtatious looks might have made other women weak in the knees, but she would not be so easily affected. More than swooning at his amorous act, she noted how easily he slipped into the role. Was he a playboy by nature? It seemed unlikely, despite the way he opened their initial conversation. No, this was a tool in his arsenal. Did he play other roles as well, or was the amorous lover his default?

All questions that would have to wait for later. When he leaned over to whisper in her ear, she chuckled and glanced downward flirtatiously. "How did you guess?" she asked rhetorically before turning to the waitress as she scooted closer to Damian and laced her fingers with his. "We're going to need a few minutes." Sarah's subsequent smile implied enough to make the waitress go about her business with a knowing grin.

When she was gone, Sarah continued to keep her head down as if flirting as she nodded toward the window. Outside, five men filed out of the black sedan. The three emerging from the back of the car were broad-shouldered and smacked of hired security. The two coming from the front were distinctly different in style: one would have fit in on the golf course or in a board room. The other wore faded khakis and a fitted t-shirt that emphasized a fit physique. The both looked at Sarah's Audi before moving toward the entrance to the diner. Sarah spoke quietly. "A black sedan followed me briefly part night. I can't say if it's the same one. I don't suppose you know them?"

"Your reactions aren't very subtle." Damian answered nonetheless. The roles he has played as were numerous however it was easier to play the 'lover' to gain an upper hand. Damian traced a random pattern on Sarah's hand as he discreetly looked out the window. Luckily, for them he was able to get a clear view of the men disembarking the black sedan.

As he noted the group's attire and facial characteristics it became apartment that he did not recognize any of the men. Damian gently tilted Sarah's face with his hand and gazed into her eyes. He let a compassionate smile grace his face before whispering, "No, I don't. I haven't been here long enough to make enemies." Damian refused to face the diner's entrance when he heard the door chime, fortunately the glamoured prince was blocking Sarah's face from view.

Her new friend was good at playing a role, but not on picking up on sarcasm. Her mind, whirring with the possible ramifications of the newly arrived problems (and she had no doubt they were problems), filed away this little tidbit about her new acquaintance for later study. Meanwhile, she caught her lower lip in her teeth and glanced downward at his fingers tracing patterns along her hand.

She might have asked him why he assumed the newcomers enemies, but she was beginning to think the same thing. Unfortunately, the fact that they couldn’t see her face wouldn’t hide her from them entirely - and it prevented her from seeing them. “So now what?” she whispered, looking up to stare at his lips, keeping up the act as she saw the two lead men pause, then start walking toward their table. Even as she played up the role of an infatuated girlfriend, she pulled the same necklace he had seen last night from her pocket. “Personally, I’d like to know what they want... but we can go now if you’d rather not be involved.” She licked her lips once before catching her lower lip in her teeth again. Despite her outwardly apparent focus on him, however, her attention was truly on the footsteps heading toward their table. The window to act was dwindling quickly.

[sorry for the late reply my post got deleted ]

When hearing Sarah's reply, his head was creating a few scenarios on the situation at hand. He was conflicted, Damian was curious to know why these men were following them but on the other hand he was willing to create a diversion so they can slip unnoticed. However there's a persistent flaw to the plan and it on the slim notion if the men knows Sarah's magical heritage. As the diversion would send them a red flag and confirm their suspicions but if they don't know about their magical side then its easy to avoid conflict.

There wasn't anything Damian could think of that gave them an advantage. Damian whispered to Sarah as he pushed a lock of her hair behind her ear, "We'll stay." He leaned away and pulled the menu in front of them and asked Sarah what she was going to get on the menu.

Her companion's decision came quickly, which was necessary due to their dwindling options. Even as Damian kept up the ruse of their affection for one another, the two leaders of the group approached their booth. They walked with confidence bordering on a swagger. The one in the fitted t-shirt possessed the arrogant air of someone with military training, but without the rigid posture or manners to accompany it. As the other three men fanned out behind them and filed toward the next booth over, he openly assessed Damian. Internally, Sarah dubbed him Meathead.

Meanwhile, his more business-like companion sauntered in adjusting the cuffs of his suit jacket and raising an eyebrow at the pie on the counter. His too-perfect hair and the oily smile he flashed at the passing waitress reminded her of a used car salesman. This Guy Smiley locked eyes on Sarah and smirked as he closed in on the table. "Ms. Rosewood! Imagine my fortune at seeing you here. I cannot tell you what a pleasure it is to finally catch up with you." His grey eyes flickered to Damian in the booth beside her. "And I see you have a friend with you. Even better."

Sarah watched him carefully, her shoulders tense as she held the necklace beneath the table. She was waiting for some indication of who - or what - exactly these men were. Her eyes narrowed to slits as she donned a strained smile. "Should I know you?" She said it loud enough to be overheard by others in the restaurant. Putting the mortals in danger wasn't the plan, but using them as momentary distraction might become necessary. A few of the truckers in one corner were watching the exchange with interest, although whether they would step in or simply watch should a fight break out remained to be seen.

Guy Smiley's sleazy smile grew, displaying more teeth as he nodded. "I do have you at an advantage, I'm afraid," he said with mock sympathy. However, he did keep his tone down, speaking softly enough that their audience was less likely to hear. "I have been trying to get a hold of you for some time. While I planned a more private introduction, my companion here," he gestured to Meathead, who was still watching Damian with interest, "made an excellent point. Two birds and all that."

Meathead chuckled. It was a deep and throaty sound. "Rarest kind, too."

Sarah smirked, ignoring Meathead's remarks for the moment as she continued to address Guy Smiley. He seemed to be the mouthpiece for the group - at least for now. "And yet... you still haven't told me what it is you want." She leaned forward slightly, gripping the necklace in her hand as she offered in a stage whisper, "There are no bonus points for showmanship, so why don't you get to the point so my companion and I can order our meal."

Meathead's smile faded, but Guy Smiley didn't miss a beat. He nodded. "It's simple. We need your help in locating a lost item. I hear you're quite the detective."

Sarah instantly shook her head. She exaggerated her remorse by wrinkling her nose. "Sorry. I make it a policy only to work with those I know."

Guy Smiley clicked his tongue and glanced at the table while shaking his head. Meathead beside him gave a gruff grunt that may have been meant to be a chuckle. "What makes you think we're asking?" Meathead asked. It was the first time his eyes had left Damian. Clearly he didn't believe Sarah was a threat. She was beginning to get insulted.

[ Welcome back, Erica :D hope you had a wonderful vacation. ]

Damian turned from Sarah's face to glance the strangers arriving at their booth. His gaze became stern and calculating, he stayed by Sarah's side as a protective gesture. He easily altered his facade to be the defensive friend or lover. Damian would rather continue the act and give them inaccurate information than giving them an advantage. He was called the Shadow Prince for a reason, dwelling within the shadows with no presence. Use masks to be underestimated until you strike. It was route he went when he was younger. Now that he is older, he has learned that risks are necessary to survive and proceed in his task.

Returning to himself once more, Damian returned the stare the fitted tee male was giving him. He mentally huffed in exasperation that the male before him wanted to intimidate him. It wasn't even a challenge - this rookie has no sense of respect to superiors. If he were in my army he would be sent back or face humiliation as he had no time to waste on reckless children. 'Arrogant boy,' thought Damian, 'Strong in body but not in mind. Weak will. Follower.' The man fitted the image of a Dog, so he shall refer him as such.

As he refused to look away from the Dog's staring contest, Damian kept an hear on the conversation between Sarah and Pest. When he heard Pest's comment that Sarah had a friend with her, he wanted to scoff but he frowned in annoyance. As if he could use him as a bargaining chip against Sarah. There was no gain from that action but the fool doesn't know that. Hmm, he placed that thought aside it could be helpful later on.

Damian kept his hand near Sarah's in a comforting gesture but he had the other underneath the table. He was ready to use his shadows to cause a distraction. Tampering with the light outlets will cause sparks to arise thus making a small fire possible. Judging by how fill the restaurant was, the panic patrons will allow them to slip from the two nuisance unnoticed within the crowd at the panic. Mortals were great at creating distractions - especially in unfavoring situations.

Even though involving innocents into their conflict is hypocritical to his morals but this plan is unlikely to end in deaths. Property damage was certain though. At Dog's remark, he restrained a smirk and just showed a bit confusion within his eyes as he stared at the lackey. 'The rarest of birds are the most dangerous' he mused to himself.

He became a bit interested when he heard Sarah's words, 'Shows loyalty to her own creed. Honorable trait.' Damian placed the pieces of information into Damian's pile of knowledge regarding Sarah.

"You heard her decision. She doesn't want anything to do with you two." in a stern tone. It was a warning that held underlying consequences if you do not yield. He doubt that they would yield, Pest seemed like a man that is used to get what he wants. Unfortunately to him, Damian isn't one to give in. "Now, I would appreciate if you leave my girl alone." his voice could be heard by the other patrons in the diner.

Sarah didn't like Meathead's tone at all. Negotiation and political posturing she could handle. They were, in fact, a specialty of hers. If they only had to deal with Guy Smiley, she could probably talk their way out of this. Meathead was itching for a fight, though. That would be a problem.

The sound of Damian's voice surprised her. She had not forgotten about him - not by any stretch of the imagination - but for some reason, she had not expected him to speak. He played the part of a protective beau, both for the newcomers and for the crowd. It was a smart tactical choice, even though it had little effect upon Meathead and Guy Smiley. Their companions in the next booth twitched with an expectant tension among them. With a glance from Meathead, that tension ratcheted up a notch.

"And we would very much like to know what you're doing above ground," Guy Smiley said in a quietly potent tone as he shifted his gaze from Sarah to the camouflaged prince. "Is this a personal trip, or are alliances being forged?"

Sarah was surprised at the statement, but carefully schooled her expression. These men didn't need to know that she and Damian barely knew each other. In fact, the less she confirmed or gave away, the better.

She managed a laugh. "First a threat, now a question. Are we supposed to be friendly or cowed?" Though she asked the question of Guy Smiley, her gaze flitted between him and his companion. "Maybe you two should come back later after you work it out."

As she talked, her thumb traced a series of symbols along the surface of the pendant below the table. Those who were sensitive might feel the first stirring of magic.

Maybe that's why Meathead launched himself at Damian, with the three goons following his lead - although his backup had to deal with the obstacle of the booth.

Damian didn't let any surprise or any notion that Pest's question unnerved him. His hand underneath the table twitched in restrained anger. He was astonished at any rate - that these individuals were able to know what he was. Khthonia was secluded only people that knew of its existence will be able to find the place which are few in numbers. Even less now than before. Damian was wary at the new information. They wanted them for something and dread what that something was. He'll have to tell Sarah of his homeland as the Pest let the info slip. The time for shields were over between them since these idiots were determined for Sarah's assistance.

He refrained from speaking as Sarah seemed to be better at that then he. As Sarah laughed and replied Pest's remark, Damian felt the distinguish ripple of magic emerge. He didn't have much warning after that as Dog launched towards him. Damian managed to shift so that he was out of Dog's path and without wasting anytime Damian grabbed Dog's arm and pinned him face first into the booth. Damian pulled the man's arm back and used his knee to keep him in place. He knew it won't last as his 'friends' were rushing to help - judging from the sounds behind him.

The fight started like the sudden release of a spring. Meathead jumped toward Damian, who dodged just as quickly. The bodyguards with them were in motion a heartbeat later. Before anyone else in the restaurant had a chance to react, they would be on them. Meanwhile, Sarah kept her thumb moving along the surface of her pendant, careful not to lose contact in the scuffle.

Guy Smiley was going to be an issue, however. While Meathead attacked, he looked at Sarah and shook his head. "Have it your way," he said, before he began to chant under his breath. The sense of magic thickened rapidly; this was a caster of some sort.

Sarah didn't intend to stick around and find out what kind.

As she finished the last symbol, she felt power pulse outward from the pendant. This just as Meathead's face hit the table with some urging from Damian. Sarah jumped in her seat, but didn't hesitate. It would be an obvious use of magic and leave a signature large enough to possibly bring trouble down on them, but it would also give them a chance to gain some distance. Hopefully it would be enough.

She grabbed Damian's hand and commanded, "Let go of him." Assuming he did as she ordered, a rush of air would surround them followed by a sudden pressure, much like a rapid descent of an airplane. In the blink of an eye, the diner was gone and they were beside her car in the parking lot. Unfortunately, the spell moved them as is, so they had to compensate for the transition from sitting to standing. Sarah was prepared for this, and did her best to help Damian catch his footing and help him into the car.

Behind them, the diner would be chaos, with patrons reacting in confusion to the fight that almost was.

Damian was about to let go of Dog's arm to defend himself from the other men. So he didn't expect his hand to be grabbed by Sarah's. Damian did as he was told and let go of the arrogant man's arm and lifted his knee. After doing so he was enveloped by a strange sensation - it was like he was falling and wisked away with a strong amount of force. He could say it was unpleasant feeling to say the least.

Damian opened his eyes, he didn't realized he closed, when he shakily stumbled. A quick glance from his surroundings recognized that they were in the parking lot. Sarah managed to steady his blance, which he was grateful as he didn't expected to be transported. Knowing that time is of the essence Damian quickly tried to manuer his body into the car, with some assistance from Sarah, he still felt some traces of vertigo. The spell that Sarah performed was a different magic than what he has seen or performed. It felt different more pure? Damain couldn't really phantom a word to describe it.

"Lets go, before they figure out what occured."

Although it was not truly use of her magic, using an artifact was still draining. Sarah could feel the effect’s signature rippling outwards as she steadied Damian. They would leave a marker for those who knew how to read it; it couldn’t be helped. Once he had his feet under him, he summarized their current need succinctly. Sarah nodded in agreement and hurried around to the driver’s side of the car.

They had to put some distance between themselves and their pursuers. The more the better. As she pulled out of the parking lot toward the highway, she spoke quickly. “They had magic, but I could not tell what kind.” Her gaze flitted to the rearview mirror. The diner grew smaller in the reflection, but she was sure she saw them heading back to their car. “If they can track us magically, we’re screwed. I could get myself home - maybe. But not both of us.” Truthfully, getting herself home was a longshot. She simply didn’t have enough faith stored up. She might make it and immediately collapse, or she could end up scattering herself to the wind or, worse, sending herself through a dimensional rift. Shifting through planes was tricky business.

She glanced at him. “I can find us a place to hide.” They sang to her as she passed: the secret and hidden places of the world. She just had to find one that might fool their hunters. She took the next highway exit and doubled back onto a side road obscured by trees as she talked. The open highway was a poor choice now: they would be spotted to easily. “It won’t mean anything if they can track our signature...” It was then she realized her stupidity. The necklace might be able to assist in this as well. She swore under her breath. “Take the wheel,” she ordered while running her thumb along the dark blue of the pendant’s stone. This time he would see it flare with an inner light, then grow a little darker. “There. That should help.”

She took the wheel again with a nod of thanks, then turned off on a side road that twisted through a series of hills. “Unless you want to go back and fight?” The question was mostly rhetorical, but she had to ask. He had handled himself well enough in the diner, and their shared enemy clearly considered him the larger threat. It made her questions about him that much more urgent.

Damian could feel the lingering magic the covered the boundaries of the diner. This would cause complications as he wasn't sure if Pest were working on their own. He had an inkling that they are not acting alone. Which brings the question of how are they going to leave without a trace. Options were dwindling down with each minute, like grains falling down in a hourglass.

As Sarah drove further away from the diner and contemplated at loud their predicament. "I may use my shadows though I'm sure it would make tracking us easier since they have knowledge of what being I am." He tapped against the seat's armrest, trying to find a solution. Damian lost focus when he heard Sarah's voice telling him to drive. He reached over and kept the wheel steady, it wouldn't do to get into a car accident on top of being pursued. From the corner of his eye Damian saw Sarah holding her pendent again, the jewel dimmed a bit as the red head rubbed her finger against the stone. She has magic but must use a medium to harness it.

Damian gave Sarah control of the car after she was done casting her spell. To fight now would probably save them from confronting Pest later or finding them. However, if they are not working alone it would make ourselves more venue able to an ambush. Also there might not be time to leave without a trace.

"There's no point in turning back. If we fight, we might not be able to use the same spell twice and there's a chance that they might call for reinforcements."

Determining the best place to hide required concentration, and while activating the artifact's stored spells required less magic than casting the effects directly, they had still drained her somewhat. Normally that would not be a big deal, but she had been up most of the night doing research and then driving for hours.

Why couldn't their hunters have waited until after they ate?

She nodded at Damian's words, not bothering to hide her relief that he didn't want to turn around and fight. He might be up for it, but direct confrontation wasn't her way: at least not until she learned who she was facing and what they were capable of.

"I can find us the best place to lay low and regroup." She took her eyes off the road for a moment to look at him. Normally, she wouldn't explain. But normally, she wasn't being chased by an unknown group who seemed to know her nature. After a heartbeat, she looked back at the winding road as they passed houses that looked straight out of a backwoods horror story. "It's part of my nature," she confessed.

Driving up a hill, they passed row after row of hedges and bramble bushes. Eventually an old farmhouse appeared ahead. Sarah smiled and said to herself. "Yes. This will do nicely." They were obscured from the road, it did not look like anything but a residence, and they would have the high ground if it came to a confrontation. Most importantly, it was

As she parked the car in front of the house, she paused as she removed the keys from the ignition and turned to look at Damian. "I think it might be time to have a real talk. But first, let's get settled inside. If my instincts are right - and they are - this place will be vacant but well stocked."

Damian nodded his head and opened his mouth to say, "I have faith in your abilities." His words were true. Damian understood that Sarah was there best bet in escaping as his shadow magic is unreliable at the moment. He has no idea if he can transport a vehicle let alone duplicate it. However, from Sarah's words he can now confirm that Sarah is of magical race and not a sensitive mortal who can possess magic through mediums.

The next moments were passed in silence, to allow Sarah full concentration and to avoid unnecessary distractions. Damian glanced at the rear mirror to catch a glimpse of the black van without turning his head to look behind them. Just in case if they were behind them, its best to avoid giving obvious signs. The scenery changed from plains to green meadows and trimmed foliage. A farmhouse was positioned at the near most edge of the hill, an excellent advantage in outside charges - as proven by past missions.

"Agreed. Let's check, shall we. I'm sure you're starving." replied Damian as he exited the car. He walked up towards the wooden doors if the farmhouse and opened it.

Inside, the house was immaculately tidy if a bit dusty. The owners had cleared out for the coming winter - but not after preparing the house and stocking the freezer and larder. The furniture did not fill the place; not entirely, and the few pieces on display were covered in sheets to protect it from the encroaching dust. Sarah pulled a couple of these sheets off to reveal comfortable if lived-in couches and chairs. Upstairs, they would eventually find two bedrooms and a bath, all pristine and horribly tempting.

Sarah looked fatigued, mostly because she was. It had been a long couple of days and the expendature of her power came at a price. Tapping into the necklace was not as draining, but repeatedly hiding it and reclaiming it from its magical cache came at a price. Not to mention the search for this place, which was far more subtle than uncovering a secret treasure chest that might have screamed to her senses. This place had been a whisper in a noisy dinner party, but she had found it. That was what mattered, even if now she was fighting the two chief desires for food and rest - not necessarily in that order.

Still she pressed through it, quietly going about the business of inspecting the place for any unannounced surprises and familiarizing herself with the layout. There was the business of food before they could rest. And that conversation, but food had to come first.

The kitchen was clean and the refridgerator bare of all but condiments and a few cans of cola and gingerale. Sarah walked right past it - and the cupboards - to the door leading to a small room behind the kitchen. This had a stand-alone freezer loaded with meat, butter, and eggs, and a larder with canned vegetables. Sarah smiled, claiming the eggs, some ham, bacon, butter, and a frozen batch of spinach before she returned to the kitchen. She handed everything but the butter to Damian. "Put these under cold water, will you?"

She had also found a small collection of wine bottles, one of which she had instantly claimed. A brief search of the cupboards revealed the wine glasses; she selected two. Finding the bottle opener required a more exhaustive search amongst the many kitchen tools randomly stored within the large kitchen drawers. Tempting as it might be, she refused to use her abilities for such a small task; especially when the effort might be sufficient to push her into a briefly comatose state. Eventually she emerged victorious, opened the botttle, and poured them two healthy portions of wine, leaving them to breathe.

With that important task complete and the food defrosting, she turned to Damain and gestured toward the living room couches. "Shall we?"

Damian's brown maroon eyes glanced around the room. He was aware of Sarah wandering through the space, as he was doing. It would be unwise to relax until the barn is cleared of undesirables. As he walked around the barn's interior he made sure to bend some of the shadows to his will. Damian didn't trust himself use his spells as he was paranoid that due to the Pest's knowledge of his race, perhaps he may track them due to his dark magic. Even though his spells may give the barn greater defense. He didn't want to take any chances. If anything they're going to be passing through here, no need to lengthen our stay when we are on the run.

Once the shadows were under his command he telephatically ordered 'Stay hidden in the shadows and notify me of anything suspicious. Lastly, don't draw attention to yourself.' Figuring that they understood the task given, Damian went to the kitchen to see what was Sarah doing. Even though he didn't feel any hunger, Damian did what he was told and placed the frozen meat, vegetables, and eggs in the sink. He opened the cupboards to find a container to fill with water. Damian quickly found one and placed all the frozen food inside, put the pot in the sink to fill with water.

When he was done, Damian turned towards Sarah who was pouring wine into two glasses. Damian walked towards the living couches and settled among the cushions. Knowing that Sarah wanted answers, Damian didn't wait for her to ask and opened his mouth to speak.

"I know you, want answers - so I'm going to be blunt. Yes, my homeland is underneath the surface. I do not know how 'he' knew of my race since we are isolated. Our existence are restricted to a few and our location was assumed to be forgotten."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back