Journal For Moon Fairy

Derpy Dev

to nobody's surprise he's not straight
When was it, Moon Fairy, that you and that brother of yours showed up? It can't have been more than a few months ago. But it feels like an eternity. You and Jade Rabbit became the norm. It just felt right having you around.

To be honest, I can't remember a time when we didn't have cats. We've had cats around for most of my life. But when my teenage years hit, I stopped liking cats for... more reasons than I can count, really. We had a few problem cats that pissed on everything. Everything included my bed. Jade gave birth on my bed, and Zim brought dead rats to it.

I had to sleep on the couch.

It was about... half a year into our moving to Hawaii. Yeah, that's right. That's when Mom and Dad found you two. Somebody had to have dumped you two. I've never seen two cats that adjusted so quickly to a new home. According to Mom, you walked right up to them, mewing desperately for attention. You got more than you bargained for, didn't you? You got a home.

At that point, I still hated cats. There had been a few cats that I liked as kittens, but in my head, all cats just grew into assholes. And kittens were usually running rampant, treating the world like their playground. So when you two came into my home for the first time, I just sighed. Here we go again, I thought.

About a couple days into your unusually short adjustment, you little guys decided to claim my chair. It happened slowly. First, you started playing around it. Then under it. And then, it became your default place to sleep. The first time it happened, I had just gotten up to grab a soda, then found you sleeping on my chair, curled up into a fluffy white ball. I almost didn't want to move you, Moon Fairy.

Almost.

I picked you up, and you looked up at me with big, tired eyes. And with a sigh, I put you in my lap. That became the pattern of things, for both you and your brother. You jumped into my chair, and I put you in my lap. I played games and wrote and coded, and you slept like a rock. You did this for the entire time we had you.

You and him were strange kittens. I quickly realized that you two were not active in the same way other kittens were. Most kittens would run about and sleep in compulsive, maddening cycles. When they were awake, other kitten would bite you or jump at you in exhausting play. But you partook in this form of activity rarely. Every once in a while, one of you would climb up the back of my chair and bite my neck, or chomp on my toes while I was sleeping. But most of the time? You two would simply sleep or quietly observe the world around you, or try to make friends with the other cats through small, friendly gestures.

You came with your own fair share of problems of course. I've never seen two cats that were so unwary of vehicles. Most cats at least have some awareness of their danger. But you had none whatsoever. In fact, whenever we went to our suburban for a Walmart trip, you and your brother just rushed up to the car, wanting to get in with us. My younger siblings had to hold you and pet you on the porch while we pulled out. In a way, it was adorable and endearing. And slowly, whenever you went up and wanted to get in the car, you'd start to make me smile, then talk to you, and finally, you started to make me laugh.

Months and seasons passed. On rainy days, I'd play with you inside. On quiet nights, you'd curl up next to me to sleep. And almost every evening, like clockwork, you'd sit in my chair, and I'd put you in my lap while I did my work.

And then, just this afternoon, it happened.

It still feels fresh. Mom and Dad wanted to eat out together, so they put my big brother in charge and started to drive off. Immediately, I felt something... change. Like part of the world died. And then, I heard Mom scream. I saw them start walking up to the house, Dad petrified, Mom crying. Everyone was outside in a moment. I jumped off the porch immediately, shoes be damned, and grabbed Mom. And it took me only a few heart-wrenching moments to interpret what had happened.

Your brother was content to sleep on the porch, but you weren't, were you Moon Fairy? Instead, you wanted to run under the tires.

I don't know if the way I handle sadness is normal. Everyone was crying. Dad was apologizing, since he was the driver. Even my usually unfazable big brother was mortified. I sat with them, hugged them, comforted them. But I was either too tough to cry or too weak to do so. I got to work instead.

Dad helped me find a place to put you; a peaceful little corner of the property, surrounded by plants and flowers. I filled three buckets with soil on a corner of the property, and I covered you with it. You looked peaceful, in a way. Or maybe that was just my imagination. Maybe I was desperately hoping for something to make it better. I put rocks on and around your grave. It looks peaceful if you ask me. You'd want that, wouldn't you? A quiet little place to sleep.

Jade Rabbit wasn't any happier than we were. I think he was feeling worse than we were. We brought him to your body before we buried it, since we knew we had to tell him somehow. He sniffed at you for a minute before... walking off. Trying to look anywhere but the place where you laid. And while I was burying you, he stood there, watching me stack rocks with a pained look. I pet him and talked to him, but he didn't purr, even if he was clearly begging for attention. Later, I could hear him crying in the jungle, spending time alone.

I hoped that writing this would make me cry. That it would help me get all this emotional bullcrap over with. But here I am. I still haven't shed a tear for you. I want to. I loved you.

Since I can't shed tears, please let this stand in their place. You were the most gentle and sweet kitten in the world, Moon Fairy. You loved all and hated none. And you softened my heart. For that, I love you more than anything. My only wish now is for you to sleep peacefully.

Good night, Moon Fairy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back