First Contact

Weiss comes along with Barak and Ash, hoping that this cave will work to hide Thunder from the approaching ship. Once there, she looks to Ash to see if it will do the trick.

Ash keeps up easily enough, and finds the place quite to her liking. However...

"Just so you know, I'm not 'Lady' Ash. My comrades may call themselves by what titles they choose, but I'm a machinist and part-time priest, not an aristocrat."

She turns to Weiss and nods. "This looks like the place."

With a nod, the Lunar releases the Essence she had committed to storing the Warstrider, releasing it back into Creation once more. "I am glad to have been a help for both you and Thunder. Just as promised, no worse for wear."

Ash smiles in thanks before laying a hand on Spring Thunder's exoskeleton. Thunder? she tries. Are you all right?

Last edited:
The response in Ash's mind is immediate. Fear not, my old friend. I have survived my time in Elsewhere with no ill effects. It was an interesting experience, to say the least.

Ash sighs in relief. I'm glad. Then she remembers, and glances at the Dragon-Blood to see how he is handling the materialization of a 25-foot golden giant out of thin air.

When Ash looks over at Barak, his eyes are wide and his jaw is hanging open. It is one thing to know of the great powers of the Exalted (especially since he was one, himself), but seeing a massive Warstrider appear out of nowhere (or to be more accurate, Elsewhere), it was quite a shock. He quickly composes himself when he sees that he's being watched by Ash, then the young man offers up a short bow to the three of you. "Uh, I shall go back up to rejoin the others. Unless you need me for anything else?"

Elsewhere, Khutulun and Nagao can see that most of the people of the mountain have armed themselves. Those that are too old or too young to fight are being moved to the relative safety of a set of caves that they use for storage, with a small number of guards standing watch outside to protect those unable to defend themselves. Even with only a couple of weeks of training time under the watchful eye of their golden general, they are showing a whole new level of professionalism as they prepare for a potential fight.

The airship is now thirty minutes out.

Esbilon Esbilon Ebon_Arbiter Ebon_Arbiter Arynne Arynne Psychie Psychie

"Yes, definitely. Suggest to Mistress Vale that now would be a good time for some aerial scouts to 'officially' discover our visitors and see what their intentions are. I can have Thunder ready to fly in five minutes if the news is bad."

The locals shake their heads. "No, not Dragon Blooded, but something more. They are more like Solars or Lunars, even if they cannot shift their shape like the Moon Chosen. They first made their appearance, what? Five years ago? It was when the Solars came back in force to Creation." She sees your confused looks, then goes on to explain. "According to history, when the Dragon Blooded rose up against the Solars during the Usurpation, all but a handful of the Sun Chosen vanished from Creation instead of returning to re-Exalt as they normally would. The few surviving Solars were easy pickings for the Wyld Hunt; a group of Dragon Blooded tasked with going out and killing the new Exalts before they could master their powers. From what we have been told, most of the Lunars fled from Creation into the Wyld to escape the Hunt, for even their powers were not sufficient to stand up against large numbers of Dragon Blooded on the prowl for them."

Dark Exalts akin to Solars or Lunars in power......What is happening to Creation? Nagao's thoughts flicker through his mind in a mixture of curiosity and dread, as his mind struggles to comprehend the meaning of that statement. It doesn't sound right...

Elsewhere, Khutulun and Nagao can see that most of the people of the mountain have armed themselves. Those that are too old or too young to fight are being moved to the relative safety of a set of caves that they use for storage, with a small number of guards standing watch outside to protect those unable to defend themselves. Even with only a couple of weeks of training time under the watchful eye of their golden general, they are showing a whole new level of professionalism as they prepare for a potential fight.

The airship is now thirty minutes out.

Nagao retains his relaxed stance, even while he mentally prepares for the potential of conflict. He regards the local armed forces, recognizing the obvious results of Khutulun's superior training in their stance and determination, as they are deploying all around. With the mighty Dawn caste on site, alongside her trained soldiers, it's doubtful that there will be a need for him to exert himself by participating in any hostilities, but then again, being prepared never hurts.

He flexes his ornate gloves, now outlined by an imperceptible essence shimmer and feels his essence permeate the coils and inscriptions of his bracers, as it courses through his arms. His mind races through the essence patterns governing his martial expertise, essence and muscle memory creating inside him a string of motions and postures that complete his battle stance, his body and mind on stand-by to assume full combat readiness in the blink of an eye - if need be.

When not dressed for war, Khutulun is a striking woman, but not an intimidating one. She is short of stature and her muscles giver her body a toned appearance rather than a bulky one. However, as she steps before the people of the Slope, she is clad from head to toe in Orichalcum, her hands grip The Cry That Wakes the World, and Death itself would be fool to stand against her.

"Soldiers!" She cries out, her voice easily carrying across the mountain, "the dead are coming for us. They may want our lives, they may want our land, they may want our servitude, but they shall not have it! On their faces we will see our greatest fears, at their claws we may see our friends fall, but they shall not make us falter! We will stand together, we will fight as one if need be, and we will deny them their desires! Stand by your fellows, stand by me, and victory will be ours this day!"

She turns once more to face the oncoming ship of the dead, and places her sword before her, its point buried in the ground of the fallen mountain, and her hands clasped together on top of it.

Inside the cave Ash strips herself of everything unnecessary she carries, until she's in nothing but a thin shirt, breeches, and the amulets that a few Metagalapans have noticed but taken for exotic, foreign jewelry. Under her shirt, the fire-red gem from Heaven's Hammers glows.

Carefully, she removes the hearthstone, as well as the other two mounted in her left-hand bracer and the gold torque she wears around her neck, and weighs them for a moment before deciding. She places the smallest in her bracer, the next in the amulet over her heart, and the last into one of the three sockets on Spring Thunder's chest. As she does, the running lights on Thunder's exoskeleton begin to shine as the Essence matrix is infused with power.

Climbing up the side of the great warstrider, finding the handholds and the footholds she knows so well, she reaches the fuel bolt launcher mounted on Thunder's right shoulder.

Long, long ago, Spring Thunder Over the Mountains had been armed with Essence cannons and a mighty warhammer. What had happened to them during the centuries he was buried in a Northeastern cave, nobody had ever discovered. But when Ash became Thunder's pilot, she had built and installed her own weapons, ones that would allow her to use the stern martial art she had begun to study. Touching the fuel bolt launcher, she begins to whisper the prayer her long-dead master taught her:

Rising with the Sun
Spirits of Fire
My soul follows Hawk on the ghost of the wind
I find my voice and speak truth
My deeds give testimony.
Righteous Lord,
Hear me...

Flames of brilliant Essence writhe along the fuel bolt launcher's barrel, covering it in intricate golden filigree.

Mechanically, Ash is using her crafting hearthstone to power Thunder, her mending stone in her bracer, and her Gem of White Heat in her skin-mount amulet. She's also committing 2m to cast Blessing of Righteous Solar Spark on Thunder's weapon.

Finally, she climbs into the fuselage. Strange, to think it's been over a thousand years since she was last here.

As she begins to strap herself into the harness, Ash murmurs, "Well, here we are, Thunder. Just you and me and a cave, like in the beginning."

The order is given to send out a flight of giant hawks with riders to investigate the ship, and see if it responds to the riders. After only a few minutes, one of the riders comes flying by, trailing a set of colored ribbons. Vale looks over and says, "Those are signal flags. It means that the approaching ship is not responding to the riders' attempts to communicate, but at least they are not attacking." She turns to a nearby runner. "Tell them to observe but make no hostile actions. Lets see what this ship does, and where it goes."

It doesn't take long for the approaching ship to be visible to those standing on the Slope. It is just as Weiss described, made mostly of flesh and bone melded together using some kind of flesh crafting Necromancy. Instead of taking a path to land in the one field large and flat enough to support it, the airship slows and begins to circle the mountain, changing altitude up and down. From the ground you can see several people (you can't tell if they are alive or dead) standing at the rail of the ship looking out at the Slope.

As of now, they are not doing anything that can be called hostile; all the ship is doing that you can see is that it is flying around in circles, and it is not responding to the signal flags or people shouting up at it with bullhorns. What do you do?

Nagao observes as things unfold in an admittedly peculiar way. The behaviour exhibited by the incoming airship and its crew seems to him quite strange. Deciding to investigate further, he enhances his senses with essence, to perceive anything that might be out of place and attempt to discern potentially useful information on the airship and its crew.

OOC

Activating All Encompassing Sorcerer's Sight for 6m personal essence.
Cost: 6m; Mins: Occult 5, Essence 2; Type: Reflexive (Step 1)
Keywords: None
Duration: One scene
Prerequisite Charms: Spirit-Detecting Glance

Nothing is hidden from the Lawgivers. The character augments his vision with the ability to see patterns of Essence.

This Charm allows the character to see motes, Essence-fueled effects, power and invisible but magical creatures and effects. These things become valid targets for the character’s visual Awareness rolls, including reflexive visual Awareness rolls.

The ability to perceive Essence patterns has the following effects: All Charms are treated as Obvious with respect to the character. Dematerialized and invisible creatures and effects are considered visible. The character recognizes all artifacts, manses and demesnes as such. The character can automatically recognize a creature with Essence 4+ as a supernatural creature.

Characters using Stealth to avoid detection are not automatically revealed by their Charms, Essence trait or carried artifacts—for the same reason that colorful clothing does not automatically void mundane attempts at stealth. Instead, add the target’s Essence in dice to any attempt by the character to pierce mundane or magical Stealth.

Similarly, this Charm does not automatically void disguises, magical disguises and similar deceptions, although circumstances might warrant a bonus to see through them.

If the character makes a conscious attempt to analyze what he sees, this Charm allows an (Intelligence + Occult) roll to do so.

Identifying the exact effects of an unknown Charm or spell is difficulty 5. Gauging the rating of a person’s Essence trait, a demesne, a manse or an artifact has difficulty 2.

With the AESS active, Nagao can see that there are a trio of figures with high Essence levels standing at the rail of the boneship. From this distance, you cannot see much, but they are all wearing various pieces of Soulsteel and each have a number of hearthstones providing them power. There may be other Exalts onboard that are just not in line of sight.

The airship continues to circle the mountain.

Nagao turns to Khutulun, then nods over to the airship.

"Three high essence individuals on board, from what I can discern. Maybe more, though not clear at that distance. Soulsteel artifacts also detected on them, alongside the distinct essence signatures of hearthstones. Can't say if they're doing anything more than observing, though, for the time being".

EDIT:

OOC
Could I utilize the secondary function of my aforementioned charm and roll [Int+Occult] to analyze what I've observed?

According to the charms description: "1. If the character makes a conscious attempt to analyze what he sees, this Charm allows an (Intelligence + Occult) roll to do so.
2. Gauging the rating of a person’s Essence trait, a demesne, a manse or an artifact has difficulty 2."

I'll make the roll in the next post to save time. If it's not possible for my character to do so, please disregard it.

Last edited:
Could I utilize the secondary function of my aforementioned charm and roll [Int+Occult] to analyze what I've observed?

According to the charms description: "1. If the character makes a conscious attempt to analyze what he sees, this Charm allows an (Intelligence + Occult) roll to do so.
2. Gauging the rating of a person’s Essence trait, a demesne, a manse or an artifact has difficulty 2."
The three figures are all showing as supernatural beings, one with an Essence rating of 5, the other two are 4's. The E5 person has Soulsteel heavy plate, a Soulsteel Daiklave, a handful of smaller utilitarian Artifacts, and a pair of hearthstones; one a level 5 and the other a level 3.

The first E4 figure is equipped with a Soulsteel breastplate, a Soulsteel long Powerbow, and three 3 dot hearthstones.

The second E4 figure is not wearing any armor at all, but has a Infinite Resplendence Amulet made with a blend of all the Magical Materials, a pair of Soulsteel Perfected Kata Bracers, and a pair of 3 dot hearthstones.

As far as Charm usage goes, the archer has several enhanced Perception Charms up and running, including a dark Essence version of AESS. The second E4 figure has several Stamina and Soak enhancement Charms up.

His eyes turning momentarily to orichalcum orbs, as their radiance increases at his mental command, Nagao's sight, enhanced by the Unconquered Sun's gift of clarity, discerns additional details on the powerful beings onboard the airships.

He turns to Khutulun once again, updating her on what exactly he has perceived. "I'd say that we can safely operate under the assumption that they know exactly what we are", he adds, with a faint smile. "Probably considering their next move, as they observe us. It does seem though, judging from their panoply, that they mean business. Don't look like casual visitors of any kind to me".

Essence coursing through his veins, Nagao's chakras ignite briefly. An imperceptible essence layer sheathes his body as a second skin, his arms extend briefly outward in calm, measured motions and his stance radiates power and glory for an instant.

With a mental command to his spirit entourage to be on guard, until further orders, he regards the sky once more and awaits.

OOC

Nagao's panoply:

Artifacts:

Orichalcum Perfected Kata Bracers (8m comm.)
Orichalcum Gloves of Martial Readiness (8m comm.)
Orichalcum Reinforced Buff Jacket (3m comm.)
Infinite Resplendance Amulet [all mag. materials] (5m comm.)
Sorcery Capturing Cord (no commitment required)

24m commited

Hearthstones: Set in Skin Mount Amulets, [providing double their rating in motes, 20m total]
[4: Seven Leaping Dragon Stone: Add 4 dice to all Martial Arts attack rolls]
[3: Gem of Sorcery: -10 motes from spell cost, once per day]
[1: Stone of Healing: +3 dice to all Medicine rolls]
[1: Memorial Iron: +1 WP per day]
[1: Gem of Night Vision]

Health

-0 [ ]
-1 [ ][ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
-2 [ ][ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
-4 [ ]
-X [ ]

Soak:

(Orich. Reinf. Buff Jacket+Inf.Respl.Amulet+Solar Hero Form) 26B/26L/9A, Hardness: 6B/6L

(Plus 5L/10B soak and Hardness: 5L/5B, from the demon Peronelle, the Living Armor)

Total: 36B/31L/9A, Hardness 11B/11L

Willpower: 9/10
Essence
Permanent: 6

Personal: 7/28 (21m commited: 5m to AESS, 6m to Solar Hero Form, 10m to M.A. Infinite Mastery)

Peripheral: 57/81 (61(+20 from Skin Mount Amulets) / 24 Committed to artifacts)

Demonic entourage (dematerialized)

Peronelle: acting as living armour and translator
PERRONELES, THE LIVING ARMORS - DEMONS OF THE FIRST CIRCLE,

PROGENY OF THE GUARDIAN OF SLEEP

One of the more useful First Circle demons (for those who don’t mind being particularly close to their summoned slaves), perroneles initially manifest as puddles of gray or off-white ooze capable of sliding across any surface under its own power. A perronele has no eyes, ears or mouths naturally, but it can generate such organs anywhere along its body at will.

A perronele’s true utility comes when its summoner allows the demon to slither across his body. Once the perronele thoroughly coats its wearer, it forms a strong but nearly invisible armor, which can be worn underneath conventional armor or clothing. In order to provide soak to its wearer, the perronele must be aware of the attack, or at least of the likelihood of an attack. Therefore, surprise attacks can bypass the soak granted by wearing a perronele, and if the attacker is invisible or otherwise capable of persistently reestablishing surprise, the perronele’s player must make a (Perception + Awareness) roll to spot each attack. The flesh of the perronele blends imperfectly with that of a mortal, causing the wearer to appear pale or sickly. Recognizing a perronele worn as armor requires a successful (Perception + Awareness or Lore) roll at difficulty 3. Some perroneles make use of their close proximity to their masters to whisper corrupting words in hopes of turning the summoner to the Yozi cause. Sensible creatures, perroneles pursue such strategies only while they are likely to succeed. When a perronele first tears free from Lucien’s stomach, the Guardian of Sleep whispers to it. He says, “I have seen you in the dreams of Sacheverell, who knows of things to come.” Though usually loyal to their summoners, perroneles thus fear ill omens and recoil when confronted with them.

Summoning: (Obscurity 3/3) Perroneles are usually summoned to act as unobtrusive armor, though their language mastery makes them excellent translators as well. Living armors are sometimes worn by others of Lucien’s progeny or servants when they enter Creation, allowing these demons to escape from Malfeas as well. When a perronelle is faced with an ill omen, its player must roll one die for Limit.

Motivation: To serve Lucien above all else.

Attributes: Strength 2, Dexterity 3, Stamina 2; Charisma 2, Manipulation 3, Appearance 0; Perception 3, Intelligence 2, Wits 2
Virtues: Compassion 3, Conviction 4, Temperance 2, Valor 5
Abilities:Athletics 1 (Clinging to Host +1), Awareness 2 (Incoming Physical Attacks +1), Dodge 2, Integrity 1 (Loyalty to Lucien +3), Linguistics (Native: Old Realm; Others: five additional languages) 5, Martial Arts 1, Occult 1, Resistance 1 (Withstanding Blows +3), Ride 1 (Host +1), Stealth 2
Backgrounds: Backing 1

Charms:
Essence Plethora (x2)—20 extra motes
Materialize—Costs 45 motes
Measure the Wind—The demon can gauge the danger others pose to its host
Shapechange—Allows the perronele to cover its host and form mouths and sensory organs as needed
Sheathing the Material Form—May add up to 5L/10B soak, with Hardness: 5L/5B
Spice of Custodial Delectation—The living armor gains a mote of Essence at the end of any scene it has kept its target safe from actual physical harm
Wine of Infinite Heartbreak—The relationship between the demon and its host is a symbiotic one
First (Ability) Excellency—Linguistics
Second (Ability) Excellency—Resistance
Third (Ability) Excellency—Awareness, Linguistics

Join Battle: 4 (5)
Attacks:
Bite: Speed 6, Accuracy 4, Damage 2L, Parry DV —,
Rate 1
Clinch: Speed 6, Accuracy 4, Damage 2B, Parry DV —,
Rate 1, Tags P
Tentacle Slam: Speed 5, Accuracy 5, Damage 2B, Parry
DV 3, Rate 3
Soak: 1L/2B to 6L/12B (5L/10B and Hardness: 5L/5B
from Charm)
Health Levels: -0/-1/-1/-1/-1/-1/-2/-2/-2/-2/-4/Incap
Dodge DV: 4 (usually does not dodge) Willpower: 7
Essence: 2 Essence Pool: 75

Other Notes:A perronele suffers from a two-die internal Awareness penalty when it has no visible sensory organs manifested. It can manifest such organs anywhere on its surface, but doing so makes spotting the demon much easier (two extra dice to [Perception + Awareness] checks made to do so).

The being wearing a peronelle enjoys the demon’s soak atop his own. There is no mobility penalty from wearing the demon. Attacks that get through the peronelle’s armor inflict damage on the demon (as well as its host if it gets through that being’s soak as well).

Sesseljae - protection from poisonous substances
SESSELJAE, THE STOMACH BOTTLE BUGS - DEMONS OF THE FIRST CIRCLE,

PROGENY OF THE KEEPER OF THE FORGE OF NIGHT

Stomach bottle bugs resemble fist-sized beetles with 10 legs similar to those of a grasshopper. They possess a dangerous appetite for tainted and putrid substances and spend their most of their lives scouring the bodies of the Yozis of those things that might eventually build up enough to cause harm to their masters. The stomach bottle bugs sometimes discover veins of corruption that sicken the Yozis, and thousands perish only to have their tainted corpses devoured by their kin. New sesseljae are born from the poisoned waste until it is entirely consumed. Stomach bottle bugs not busy with such work haunt the taverns of the Demon City and plead for entry in childlike voices. They sometimes manage to swarm the establishments, drinking the alcohol from every bottle and from within other demons. Many demons hate sesseljae for this and often kill them on sight.

Sesseljae make excellent surgeons, although manipulating flesh and bone is more like play to them, and they happily sing with their rear four legs while they draw a body together as though it were soft clay.

The sesseljae can pass through the flesh of humans, animals and demons as easily as air and swim through it like water. This swimming sometimes stirs ripples in the bodies they inhabit, and a moving bug occasionally stumbles and awkwardly reveals a leg or mandible from within its host. Sorcerers typically carry sesseljae in their stomachs, as the demons may rest there indefinitely.

This has the added benefit that the demon will suffer the effects of any ingested alcohol or poison in place of the sorcerer. Interestingly, sesseljae are allergic to pure substances: tears, seawater, silver, gold, salt and virgin’s blood. Such things can seal them from a location or even cause them harm.

Summoning:(Obscurity 1/2) Sorcerers summon stomach bottle bugs for their ability to heal people and to protect them from poison. Sometimes, without sorcery, stomach bottle bugs are called to Creation when a region is overcome with toxic substances. Forcing a sesselja to resist devouring a toxin requires its player to roll one die, with a success inflicting one point of Limit.

Motivation: To devour tainted and corrupted substances.

Attributes: Strength 1, Dexterity 3, Stamina 1; Charisma 2, Manipulation 1, Appearance 0; Perception 2,
Intelligence 2, Wits 2
Virtues: Compassion 4, Conviction 3, Temperance 2,
Valor 2
Abilities:Athletics 1, Awareness 1, Dodge 2, Integrity 3,
Investigation 1, Larceny 1, Martial Arts 1, Medicine 5
(Internal Surgery +3),
Occult 1, Performance 1, Presence 1, Resistance 5, Ride 1, Stealth 4, Survival 1

Charms:
Benefaction—The sesselja gives the target one bonus die to rolls to resist poison, resist disease or stop bleeding
Creation of Perfection—The sesselja can perform medicine even if it is inside a target, typically via Landscape Travel
Landscape Travel—A sesselja travels through flesh and bone as easily as if it were air or water. The demon may rest in a typical stomach without continuing use of the Charm.
Materialize—Costs 55 motes
Spice of Custodial Delectation—Allowing a sesselja to consume poison gives it one mote of Essence, although it must resist the poison as normal
Touch of Eternity—The sesselja can allow a mortal target to resist poison and disease, and rapidly stop bleeding, as an Exalt does
Touch of Grace—The sesselja heals a living or demonic target
First (Ability) Excellency
—Dodge, Integrity, Medicine,
Resistance, Stealth
Second (Ability) Excellency—Medicine, Resistance
Third (Ability) Excellency—Medicine, Resistance
Infinite (Ability) Excellency—Resistance

Join Battle: 3
Attacks:
Scurry Into Someone: Speed 5, Accuracy 4, Damage —,
Parry DV —, Rate 1
Leg Slash: Speed 5, Accuracy 4, Damage 1L, Parry DV 2,
Rate 2
Clinch: Speed 6, Accuracy 4, Damage 1B, Parry DV —,
Rate 1, Tags P
Soak: 0L/1B
Health Levels: -0/-1/-1/-1/-1/-2/-2/-2/-2/-4/Incap
Dodge DV: 5 Willpower: 7
Essence: 4 Essence Pool: 75

Other Notes: Entering the body of someone who does not want a sesselja inside her requires an attack roll, although success causes no damage. Characters can take a miscellaneous action to expel a stomach bottle bug without a roll, but suffer one automatic level of bashing damage if the demon resists. The tiny bits of bone it carries away in the process are useful in making potent talismans against disease.

Tomescu - Retinue of Bodyguards / Cryptic Councillor (through prognostication / destiny-related powers)

TOMESCU, THE CLAMOROUS CLOUD ARSENALS - DEMONS OF THE FIRST CIRCLE,

PROGENY OF THE LIVING TOWER

It is said that at the moment of its birth, a tomescu knows the moment of its death. The image of its own mortality burned into its consciousness, each tomescu screams in pain twice a day. In Creation, this scream comes at dawn and dusk. In Malfeas, where the light of Ligier is unrelenting, the collective screams of the tomescu mark a transition from day to night that would otherwise be undetectable. Supposedly, one tomescu in 10,000 does not feel the compulsion to scream in agony over its fate. Of these, 99 out of 100 have been rendered feeble-minded by some means or else have accepted doom with equanimity. One out of 100 does not scream because it foresees the glorious destiny that awaits it. Other demons fear these sanguine tomescu above all other First Circle demons.

The form of a tomescu cannot be discerned, for each is perpetually surrounded by a thick fog from which many-jointed limbs shielded with a green insectoid carapace emerge, each usually ending in a weapon of some sort bonded to the tomescu at the last joint—swords, axes, sledges. A few limbs have bows attached, while other adjacent limbs end in hand-like extremities capable of notching an arrow.

Ancient texts depict the tomescu’s true form as resembling a cross between a crab and a praying mantis, with dozens of clawed limbs jutting improbably from all over the demon’s body. The tomescu have no love of violence, living as they do with an innate understanding of their own mortality, but they are quite skilled at it. Each member of their race is born with its weapons at the ready and a preternatural skill at using them.

The tomescu are beloved by infernalists and akuma, for the will of the Yozis is imprinted on the soul of every cloud arsenal. When called to Creation, tomescu often break from their assigned tasks to perform some strange, seemingly innocuous action such as rearranging a road sign, sabotaging a peddler’s wagon wheel or saving the life of a penniless street urchin. Such actions seem random and often out of character for a demon. Only years later does the tomescu’s minor alteration of destiny take hold in a way that advances the Yozis’ will. The altered road sign leads a traveler to find a Yozi cult. The peddler’s out-of-control wagon kills a mortal who would otherwise have grown up to be a demon-hunter. The penniless street urchin grows up to become a deadly Guild assassin… and later, an Infernal Exalt.

Summoning:(Obscurity 2/3) Despite their ambivalence toward battle, tomescu are often summoned by sorcerers for that very purpose. Occasionally, a tomescu is summoned into Creation when destiny is thwarted. Unfortunately for the clamorous cloud arsenals, Sidereal Exalted are often drawn to investigate such phenomena as well, often making such a demon’s escape short lived. Tomescu commanded by their summoners not to cry out at dawn and/or dusk will still do so, but the demons will gain a point of Limit.

Motivation: To live for the moment.

Attributes: Strength 3, Dexterity 4, Stamina 3; Charisma 1, Manipulation 1, Appearance 0; Perception 2, Intelligence 2, Wits 4
Virtues: Compassion 1, Conviction 3, Temperance 3, Valor 5
Abilities:Archery 4, Athletics 3, Awareness 3, Dodge 3, Integrity 2, Investigation 1, Lore 2, Martial Arts 4, Melee 5, Occult 2, Presence 1, Resistance 2, Survival 1, War 2 (Solo Versus Mass Combat Unit +3)

Charms:
Essence Plethora—10 extra motes
Foretell the Future—By listening to the air of Malfeas, a tomescu gleans what the Yozis want to come to pass and how it might best aid their plans
Materialize—Costs 45 motes
Natural Prognostication—A tomescu can see others’ destinies as well as its own
Spirit-Cutting—Supplemented attacks affect the immaterial

First (Ability) Excellency—Archery, Martial Arts, Melee, War
Second (Ability) Excellency—Athletics
Third (Ability) Excellency— Archery, Awareness, Dodge, Martial Arts, Melee, War

Join Battle: 7
Attacks:
Punch: Speed 5, Accuracy 9, Damage 3B, Parry DV 5, Rate 3

Kick: Speed 5, Accuracy 8, Damage 6B, Parry DV 3, Rate 2

Clinch: Speed 6, Accuracy 8, Damage 3B, Parry DV —, Rate 1, Tags P

Axe Limb: Speed 4, Accuracy 10, Damage 8L, Parry DV 4, Rate 2

Sledge Limb: Speed 6, Accuracy 8, Damage 15B/4, Parry DV 3, Rate 1

Spear Limb: Speed 5, Accuracy 10, Damage 7L/10L, Parry DV 6, Rate 2

Straight Sword Limb: Speed 4, Accuracy 11, Damage 6L, Parry DV 5, Rate 2

Self Bow Limb: Speed 6, Accuracy 8, Damage 5L*, Range 150, Rate 2
* Uses broadhead arrows.

Soak: 8L/11B (Carapace, 6L/8B)
Health Levels: -0/-1/-1/-1/-1/-1/-2/-2/-2/-2/-4/Incap
Dodge DV: 5 Willpower: 7
Essence: 2 Essence Pool: 65

Other Notes: Born and bred to effectively fight as individuals against multiple opponents, tomescu receive a free counterattack or parry (demons’ choice) at their full dice pool for every attack made against them.

A clamorous cloud arsenal often reserves the use of its sledge limb to times when it feels a battle is turning against it, using the weapon to gain room to maneuver or retreat if its deployment doesn’t immediately change the tide of conflict to its favor. Although the demons usually employ broadhead arrows, that is because those are the arrows most commonly available. Unlike with its other innate weaponry, a tomescu only possesses arrows it gains in a mundane fashion, typically the broadhead variety. If provided with different sorts of ammunition, the demon may employ it to equal effect.

In addition to the limbs detailed here, tomescu feature extremities resembling hook swords and seven-section staves that they deploy almost exclusively to parry with (even if those aren’t the limbs with which they are currently attacking).

Last edited:
Weiss would frown if her beak would allow her to do so. "I have a bad feeling about this. Why don't they land? Do they see that there are three Celestial Exalts down here, and with the Dragon Blooded, think that they may not be able to take us in a fight."
Spending on Charms: 5m for White Reaper Form, 12m 1wp on Instinctive Dex Unity, and 2m committed to Halting the Scarlet Flow, all from Personal Essence

Willpower: 10 / 9
Essence: 6
Personal: 26 / 7
Peripheral: 84 -- 22 committed (62)

Health Levels
-0 [ ]
-1 [ ][ ][ ][ ]
-2 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]
Dying [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] [ ][ ]

Soak
Bashing: 4 +5 from IRA, +9 from Armor, +2 in DBT Form - 20
Lethal: 2 +5 from IRA, +10 from Armor, +2 in DBT Form - 19

Dodge DV: 9 (+1 from the Jewel of the Flying Heart, +1 in DBT)
Parry DV: 10 (16 with the Third Hand Glaive, +1 in DBT)

"What are those things?" Khuthulun say, partly to herself, "some manner of deathly Akuma? Do you think they can be turned to the good of Creation, or are their lives, or what passes for lives, forfeit?"

Nagao shakes his head, visibly troubled by what he witnesses.

"I cannot say for sure. All I could feel from my analysis of the perception charm employed by one of them was that it resembled my All-Encompassing Sorcerer's Sight, albeit infused with dark Essence. If they do not act or communicate in some way I doubt that we can deduce anything more regarding their nature or motives".

As you watch the airship, it moves to be over an unoccupied section of the mountain where the slope is too steep for people to be able to build there easily. Then, the one Exalt with the Powerbow unlimbers his (her?) weapon and fires an arrow that plants itself into the earth, followed by several more. A wave of Essence flows out from the ship and then the ground inside the area marked off by the arrows begins to melt like hot wax, flowing away and making a tunnel burrowing into the heart of the mountain. It doesn't take a sorcerer to know that this is a Terrestrial level spell called Raising the Earth's Bones.

Weiss watches the ship, and when the spell goes off, she murmurs, "The Titan." Then, in a louder voice, "The Titan! They must know that it is under the rock, and are digging their way to get to it!"

Before the ground can do much more than make the ground wet, Khuthulun has unfurled one of her Sorcery-Capturing Cords and sent off a Sapphire Counterspell.

"It is considered polite," she calls out to the airship, her strong voice easily carrying the distance as she approaches the strange new Exalts-or-whatever-they-are, "to announce one self and one's business before redecorating someone else's home."

Several heads turn to look down at you. Then, the ship lowers itself down closer to the ground and several figures jump down from the ship and approach you. The archer with his powerbow is still on the ship, but there is now a second Exalt up on the deck looking down at you, and another that was not seen before joining the two on the ground, making a total of five that you have seen, not including the ghosts and other walking dead.

The three on the ground approach you, walking abreast of each other. Now that they are closer, you can get a better look at them. #1 with the heavy plate and the Daiklave is a big figure, easily over six foot tall, and is very muscular. The figure is completely clad in Soulsteel and dark leathers. A quite intimidating figure.

#2 is the one with the Perfected Kata Bracers. This figure is wearing light robes, revealing a handsome, if somewhat pale, face. He doesn't walk as much as glide across the ground.

#3 is the new one, a tiny figure, very slim and effeminate. This person is wearing a Daiklave on the back and is wearing lighter Soulsteel armor. According to Nagao's AESS, this one is a Essence 5 figure, and is packing four hearthstones of various power levels.

#2 is the one in the middle, and as his two wingmen (women?) come to a stop, he steps forward a pace. With a Joker-esque smile, he says, "So sorry for any misunderstanding. You see, we are not here to cause trouble with you or the people on the Mountain, but there is something of interest to us that we are after that lies under the rock that we are trying to get to. No need for any worry." He shifts his gaze between all three Exalts visible (since Ash is currently in a cave with Thunder) and does his best to exude a friendly aura.

"Well, you can stop trying. This mountain is under our protection, including anything that may or may not be inside it," Khutulun says, entirely unimpressed with the approaching soulsteel-clad men and women.

As she speaks, she gathers her inner core of Essence and channels it into the Cry That Wakes the World, the Grand Daiklave she casually holds in one hand while facing off against the trio of Creatures of Darkness (or so she supposes). A slight glimmer of Essence can be seen on its edge by those whose eyes are attuned to such matters, but for now, she appears at rest, though ready to jump into combat at the drop of a hat.

OOC: Activating Immortal Blade Triumphant with 15 personal motes and 1 wp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back