• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Darkmaster006

roleplaying is fun!

Seina (星奈)
mA1Mm7m.png

Goddess of stars and matter
Special Abilities: Void. Star Dislocation.
Currently in: Foodstall in Katsushiko Ward, Tokyo Metropolitan Area.
Wearing: Brown and red kimono.

TOFnooD.png
zvre4ph.png

[x]
5tkTDcu.png

[x]

"My daughter, oh, it's been a while, my daughter," the voice of a woman began, slowly, "thou shall have to break through another ordeal, oh, my daughter," the voice continued, a tint of melancholy seeping through its own resounding cackles. "My poor daughter," the voice faded away, leaving only darkness, no trace of any kind. Only few heard it. Some intended, some unintended.
----------
The summer was coming to a close in the city of Tokyo. In all of Japan, actually, but places like Hokkaido—far up in the North—did not suffer from temperatures as high as Tokyo's. Only a few days remained until the 23th of September, when the equinox would take place and give way to Autumn. And again, only in Hokkaido would one be able to see the deep red leaves beginning to fall from the trees at such a date; Tokyo, instead, would probably have to wait weeks for that to happen. The few fox statues that stood on the ground of the little Inari Shrine in the Katsushika Ward of the Tokyo Metropolitan Area were peacefully waiting for that spectacle. They had no rush, and they watched as school kids rushed past the concrete torii gate back to their homes. None paid heed to the little secluded shrine. But the foxes, peacefully waiting, could never have predicted what was to happen next in their little shrine.

Specks of dust, stardust, started to slowly pop up one after the other in the center of the sandō, the path which guides one further into the sacred space of the shrine and into the honden, the main hall, where the kami reside. Normally, a visitor would have to pass through the torii, cleanse himself in the chōzuya (the purification trough), and only then advance towards the path. This, though, seemed to be no ordinary visitor. Rays of light emanated from the stardust and linked all of the emerging specks together, one by one, as they kept popping up. The fox statues, the only fox guardian (komainu), and the ordinary god that lived inside the main hall were all in awe. Their eyes followed the specks and the light as if they were otherwordly. For all they knew, they were. They could do nothing against it: they knew it was a power far beyond them.

After a while, the specks and the light lines settled in mid-air, forming a discernible humanoid form. Bam! For a single second, all the space inside the shrine became dazzling light; then, a woman appeared. She was wearing a brown and red kimono with an emblem emblazoned on the back, as well as waraji sandals. The god was frightened, despite the fact that he knew he had to get out and greet her, he stayed inside the main hall, cautious. The woman, who was standing, looked around the shrine for a moment, then looked up at the trees that filtered the sunrays of the early afternoon, then back down to the main hall and the fox statues, and then fixed her eyes on the fox guardian. The fox statues were clean but the passage of time was evident on them; the fox guardian, instead, made of asphalt, was solemn. "Uhm... hello?" she said and waved to the statue. The guardian didn't answer. She tried again, tapped the statue two times, very gently, but the statue did not answer. "I guess that wouldn't work, huh..." she plopped down into the floor.

She had no idea why she was here, who she was, or what she was doing, but for some reason—let's call it instinct—she started listing off the things she knew about herself: my name is Seina... I am a goddess of... stars... yes, that feels correct... I was... being chased? I don't remember if I was captured or why I was being chased, but I remember being scared as hell for some reason, hmm, I have brown hair—she pulled on one streak of her hair slightly with her right hand as to level it to her eyes and looked at it—okay, wrong, black... it feels wrong, but well, it's black... I have no idea what age I am and I have no idea where I am, alright, all set! Set for what!? Now that I have no idea... was I just born? I don't remember anything, oh god. Suddenly, Seina's train of thought stopped and images flashed through her mind. She could discern none of them, but, promptly, tears came to her eyes. She had no idea where her shrine was, if she even had a shrine, maybe she was just a stray god with no memories and no family and nothing. Who was she? What was she? Those thoughts spiralled her into an anxious state. The god inside the main hall wanted to reach out, but he was too scared, didn't want to get involved. He stayed quiet, masking her presence as much as he could, though he knew deep down that this kid right there would not be able to notice him in his state. He was regretting not helping this very instant... but he couldn't get himself to do it!

Eventually, Seina stood up again. Her eyes were teary but she had stopped crying, for the most part. Her eyes were puffy and red. But she walked out of the shrine nonetheless. She had to wander around. Maybe she'd always wandered around, without purpose, but that didn't matter. It didn't matter if she had no purpose, she still wanted to move, she was urged to walk, instinctively. She walked out, and she was met with what she recognised as a building, a house... but such a weirdly built one! Now, she didn't know much about architecture, but as far as she remembered, they were usually built out of wood and, unless they were castles, they weren't that big! These things looked like masses that just shot up into the sky! Had a god built this? It must have. What era was this? What era was she from? She had no idea. Was she in the past? Was she in the future? She had no idea. She kept on walking, admiring the buildings and the structures, the poles that shot out of the ground, she saw strange wheeled vehicles, some big, some small, some like carriages, some like... nothing she'd seen before. Most words she understood, written in her language, others were difficult to discern, and others were alien, with shapes she'd never seen before. She'd moved to her right and turned to the left on a big road which had wildlife in the center, as if on a line, and lines of a road made of dark material that were completely different to the roads she knew. But the space was vast and she marvelled at the sights, so she decided to take this road. There were poles and sticks of a grey material everywhere, trying to reach the sky. The buildings were of different colours but they also shot up into the sky, most of the time. She had seen some small ones, too. Modest ones. The people were dressed in weird ways, every now and then she saw someone with some sort of clothing she could recognise, but ignoring that, no one was wearing a kimono like her.

She began feeling hungry, but caught no sight of any place where she could find food. She didn't see any animals either. It was full of humans, humans, and more humans. Not even a god. Not even a shrine. She veered left again, towards a small road, then into a small road again. She was heading south, she knew thanks to the sun. Suddenly, she stopped. She'd seen something that caught her eye. She had no idea what it said... something about Donburi... did it have something to do with bowls? Must be food. Plus, the pictures... they looked so life-like, how was that possible? There were also weird pictograms she had never seen. But she had to try it! Thankfully, there was no one in line and the person inside the small, green building was there, checking some sort of... rectangular metallic block that emitted light that Seina had seen but overlook until now. She walked up to the counter.

"Ah, hello," she bowed, "good afternoon, may I have some of these... bowl aliments?"

The man at the counter raised an eyebrow at the weird wording and the weird appearance, but answered nonetheless. "Yes, which would you like?"

Seina thought long and hard as she was handed the menu—a weird parchment with realistic drawings, according to her—and looked at all the different pictures. She finally settled for three of them, and tried to pronounce them as best she could. Eventually she had to point to two of them, but at least one of them, she got right!

"Alright, those three. That'd be ¥2000," said the man.

"Uh, what's this... yen?"

The man was getting a tad annoyed at the customer. How could she not know what a yen was? But still, he held out a bill and a coin for her to see. Then it all clicked. She definitely knew of those! Well, the ones she knew were longer and had more inscriptions, they were called scrips. And she knew of coinage, too. They were just different, she knew of coins made of silver and bronze and gold and that had other shapes. "Uh..."

"Well, if you have no money, you better go look for your wallet, right?"
the man smiled and he looked at a customer who was approaching behind Seina. Seina got the hint and moved away to sit at the bench next to the shop. She placed her hands on her face and looked down... what would she do now? She couldn't possibly threaten this man for food, he seemed nice enough, right? But she had to eat something...

Last edited:
mjZVGlL.png

KIYO
salarywoman ★ Katsushika, TOKYO, JP ★ food-stall

Kiyo took what was almost an exaggerated stretch, waiting for her computer to power down. She couldn't wait to shed the structured jacket she was wearing as part of her business casual uniform as soon as she escaped the office - another quick meal alone, then back to work, followed by a night in her small, messy apartment watching TV. Depressing, really. She shook that thought off, gathering up her purse and tucking away her cell phone, her wallet, her notebook, all the odds and ends that she'd need. Self consciously, she touched up her lipstick - well, tinted lip balm, but close enough, squinting at her reflection in the now-black computer screen to make sure it was even. The heat was already making her hair frizz, despite her best efforts to corral it into a neat, stylish ponytail.

"Heading out for lunch?" asked one of her coworkers, offering Kiyo a friendly smile. No one she was close to, but at least he was one of the friendly ones, a guy who always smiled at her in the halls that she was vaguely certain had a young child. "Mmhmm, I'll be back soon. If you need anything, just message me," she said, giving a little half wave as she turned and ducked out of the office. She just had to escape without running into her well-meaning boss; a friendly conversation about lunch or weekend plans always turned in to him suggesting new work for her to tackle as soon as possible. After all, Kiyo was trying to stay upbeat about her working life, but the avalanche of things to do seemed determined to exhaust her despite her best efforts. At least she was ahead on the current project and nobody would notice if she took a long lunch for once. Well, hopefully, anyway.

Once she was a safe distance from the office, she shed her jacket and slung it over one shoulder and popped open the top button of her collared shirt, busily texting and scrolling social media with her free hand. Nothing too compelling - a pretty sunset picture she liked, a friend sending pictures of a new dog that she couldn't help but coo over. It was hard not to feel like everyone was living a more exciting life than she was, but at least she was still able to be happy for her loved ones. More importantly than anything on social media, her stomach was already grumbling, unsurprising considering she'd been trapped at her desk since before breakfast. Thankfully, it didn't take her long to stumble onto a food stall - one of the many great conveniences of working in the city. The photos out front made her mouth water, which Kiyo counted as the perfect excuse to pop in and grab an actual meal instead of fretting over convenience store options. Thankfully, the place wasn't too busy - Kiyo dutifully stepped in line behind a woman dressed in kimono who seemed indecisive about what to eat.

Pretty pattern, she noticed, studying the fabric of the other woman's kimono. Maybe a family heirloom or an antique or something - it looked like it was very high quality, beyond what someone might wear out on the town despite not being an especially formal style, with an emblem she didn't recognize. Of course, while Kiyo was busy staring at her outfit, the woman seemed to fumble looking for her wallet, the cashier politely turning her away. The woman, unsurprisingly, looked a bit dazed and perhaps a bit embarrassed as she shuffled out of the shop. Clearly, Kiyo wasn't the only one who was having a long day.

"I'll cover hers as well. The woman before me, whatever she wanted to get, I'll take that too," Kiyo blurted out before she could even place her own order. While she understood why the restaurant couldn't start giving out free meals, Kiyo also couldn't just let someone go hungry right in front of her. The young woman had probably dropped her wallet while taking photos in her kimono with friends or something and was facing a long train ride back home or worse, maybe she couldn't afford to eat. Kiyo wasn't going to take a chance either way, considering she had the money to cover both their food already in her wallet. She ordered her own meal as well and paid for the lot, murmuring her thanks to the restaurant staff. Everything smelled good, at least - if the stranger turned her offer of a free lunch away, Kiyo would simply have dinner for later that night.

Once she had the food loaded up in her hands, she took a seat heavily beside the stranger on the bench outside the stall. "Will you have a meal with me?" she asked, flashing her most charming smile and setting the food the other woman had ordered neatly beside the stranger on the bench between them. "I've eaten too many alone, it would be...nice, if you have the time," Kiyo added, trying not to wince at how true that was. Perhaps it was a bit forward of her, but she'd never been a shy person, after all. Besides, Kiyo didn't want to make it awkward for the other woman, a few thousand yen wasn't worth worrying over in the grand scheme of things. "I'm Okada Kiyo, by the way. Nice to meet you."

Seina (星奈)
mA1Mm7m.png

As Seina lamented over the fact that she had no wallet, or more precisely over the fact that she had no way to get any 'yen', or, even more precisely, over the fact that she was in a semi-alien place that could very well be the future and that she had no memory of anything before the present, the other costumer was deciding what to eat. At first, Seina paid them no attention at all. Her head was filled with gloomy thoughts that ranged from 'will I ever get to eat something' to 'what if I don't ever remember anything at all'. Even though her eyes were puffy, she tried her best not to cry again, as it'd look even more unseemly. She kept her head down and practically erased both the new costumer and the cashier from her mind, instead focusing on why the ground was so... grey and... resilient. She removed one of her straw sandals from her feet and tapped at it in various ways. She knew of similar terrain, but she'd never seen such large chunks of space being covered in it!

As her mind wandered through this and that, she heard a heavy 'thud' sound next to her, which made her reluctantly take her attention away from her sandals—that she was now basically just playing around with—to the space next to her in the bench. She looked up and to her left slowly, and was a bit taken aback. The first thing she saw was a woman's chest, covered with a weird garment that was fastened at the center with round pieces of something that seemed like ceramic, though the upper one was not fastened for some reason. She had not really paid attention to any of the garments the people she'd seen walking around were wearing before, but now it was practically the only thing she could think about. She had another piece of clothing slung over her shoulder, and covering her legs was... well, just a single layer of fabric that covered them following the body, practically. For someone who was accustomed to multi-layer clothing with more intricate designs, this was nothing short of astounding. She then noticed the food that was being placed just in between them... was that what she had ordered?

When she was spoken to, she immediately straightened up and looked at the woman straight in the eyes. She had long black hair, a bit frizzled, but it looked pretty cool in that style and she felt it was right. She herself had short hair but she did not recall why, either. The woman smiled at her, it was a flashing smile that seemed to convey to Seina that everything was going to be all right. Well, she interpreted it like that, at least. Had she bought the food... for her? Well, she wouldn't worry for now if this was strange or not, maybe she was just a good soul and Seina was blessed to have someone like that come along at this time.

"Indeed, I'd love to eat with you!" Seina said, bowing respectfully. "Okada, hmm," she put her hand on her chin, then ruffled her own hair, "I'm Seina, I think..." she continued hesitantly, then her eyes shifted again to the weird upper garment, "ah, that's some pretty, novel garment you've got right there!" she concluded, pointing to the collared shirt. She was finding it hard to keep her mind focused on one thing at a time, especially with so many new things popping up! She had all but forgot about her earlier troubles, almost as if all she needed was some sort of human interaction.

mjZVGlL.png

KIYO
Kiyo was a bit surprised how dazed the other woman looked - it hadn't surprised her to see the stranger staring glumly at her feet when Kiyo had sat down, but she still seemed a bit confused even now that she had her lunch. She didn't even seem confident in her own name! Sure, everyone had frazzled days, but this seemed far beyond a momentary struggle to remember one's own birthday. "You think?" she murmured, resisting the urge to dig into that issue immediately. Not exactly polite to interrogate a stranger, after all, and she was technically just trying to enjoy a nice lunch. She was sure Seina would share once she was ready - there was no visible headwound in the other woman's short hair or anything, so it wasn't as if it was urgent that she figure out what Seina was up to. It was probably harmless, some intense method acting or cosplaying or something.

Novel garment? She couldn't help but to glance down at her own blouse, though there was hardly anything in her closet that could be considered 'novel' even if she had worn something strange to work today. But no, still the same dull, professional garb, though she supposed there was some nice darting on it. Somehow, she doubted that's what Seina was talking about though. "I'm sure you could find plenty exactly like it around Tokyo, you know. I'm pretty sure I picked it up at Isetan," she said, tilting her head to study the other woman, trying to gauge her reaction. Perhaps Kiyo could help her jog her memory. "I like your kimono - I actually noticed it earlier - in the shop, too. It's very pretty,," she admitted, pausing to take a bite of her own meal. The food here was as good as it smelled - she wasn't going to lose her chance to enjoy a meal just because she was trying to puzzle out a stranger with no money, dated clothes, and a poor grasp on the world around her, a curious kind of time traveler. "Have you come from something special?" she asked, indicating Seina's kimono with a soft gesture.

Kiyo paused for a moment, keeping her gaze down at her meal. After all, she was already being intrusive, but Seina at least seemed fairly friendly and outgoing, despite being well, rather lost and confused. She glanced up sharply, meeting Seina's eyes. "If I can - help you find your way home, or anything, I'm happy to. If you don't have your wallet, I'm sure you don't have your IC card." A meddler, just like her father had always called her - Kiyo just couldn't ever leave things well enough alone, always charging in headlong into situations that weren't any of her business. It was how she always ended up at the center of trouble, perpetually stressing out her poor single dad, but the lesson just never seemed to stick for Kiyo. This was probably the perfect example of the kind of thing he'd lecture her about, too - not just stopping at offering someone a meal, which might embarrass them, but trying to walk them home too. Still, women needed to stick together - she had to at least offer, rather than leaving Seina at the mercy of the bustling city.

Seina (星奈)
mA1Mm7m.png

Seina barely heard Okada's murmur: her mind was far too gone, looking at all the bowls and trying to choose which to eat first. The one right next to her had mostly noodles and rice; the one in the middle had salmon and other salmon-like food that she didn't know anything about; the last one had some weird bubbly things along with meat, fish, and a myriad of food that looked cool and probably tasted even better! She went headfirst into that last one. Since the stall was named 'something something bowls', it was ceramic circular bowls she had in mind... but these were made of very fragile material and had a weird shape; in fact, she almost got the food all over her kimono when she first grabbed it, managing to balance it only at the last moment! She grabbed her chopsticks and set on to eat. The first bowl was empty in a flash, and she was getting ready for another when she looked back up to Okada again.

Now that she had had some food and regained—somewhat—her composure, curiosity sprang up in her mind. Why would Okada help her out of the blue? Seina squinted here eyes, pondering. Was she supposed to know what 'Isetan' was...? Surely not, right? She stayed in deep thought for a while as Okada spoke, she waited until Okada had finished. A word was about to come out of her mouth when Okada, suddenly, lifted her eyes again and spoke again, offering her help in guiding Seina around the city. Okada was just a really good soul, wasn't she?

"Oh? One can find it so easily? I don't recall any "Isetan" but... well, it looks good on you, I have never tried that kind of clothing... but I'm glad you like the kimono," she smiled fondly, "it's... a hand-down... no, a gift... ah! actually... I don't remember," she laughed uncomfortably... she was sure it was something important to her but her mind was a blank slate.

"Sorry, all this must be puzzling... and I... actually have no idea where I've come from... I just kind of... appeared?" she spoke ever more softly with every word that came out of her mind, and let them linger on, "and I, uh, appreciate the help, Okada" she grabbed a piece of the salmon and ate it, cheering up a bit, the food was really really good! She didn't remember eating something this good in, like, ever! She immediately grabbed one of the salmon-like pieces, then bowed. "Yeah, no idea what that card is... or a wallet, actually," she said, then scratched her head. "But, hey, the food's divine!" she blurted out, a little embarrassed. Hopefully, she wasn't being a total nuisance.

mjZVGlL.png

KIYO

Kiyo gave the other woman a thoughtful look, falling silent while she contemplated the situation. No money, no memories, no real awareness of even the important aspects of the modern world. It had to be a scary place, alone in a big city like this - Kiyo wasn’t even sure what to do to help. But hey, the food’s divine. Well, that was true, she thought, laughing at Seina’s response. It was the little things, she supposed, though she doubted she’d be as optimistic if she was in Seina’s place - feeling like she had just appeared in the modern world out of thin air. It couldn’t be that bad, either, though, she supposed - sure, it would be hard to get Seina used to all of the quirks of day-to-day life in Tokyo, but certainly someone in a government office would help her find her people and her way home. Someone, somewhere, had to be looking for the young woman or know how to help her at the very least.

You’re right,” Kiyo said, offering the other woman a smile. “If nothing else, you know how to pick a restaurant, and that’s a start!” It wasn't much to be optimistic, but still. No good getting pessimistic about what she could do as just an average young woman just trying to make her way in the city - she was smart and capable and worse came to worst, she had a spare futon in her apartment that Seina could sleep on. The other woman certainly didn't seem dangerous - just amnesic. “Seina - not to be an imposition, but I can’t just - leave you with no food or money and no memories!” she said. “It wouldn’t be right. Please allow me to take you to - the police station or a hospital or something. Wherever you want to go..”

Last edited by a moderator:

Seina (星奈)
mA1Mm7m.png

Seina kept eagerly eating her food as Okada spoke, she was a really nice girl. She'd offered to help Seina... twice! Seina thought she'd been really, really lucky to meet someone like this. A restaurant? So these places that sold food were called like that... she'd never imagined that food would be sold as almost an object, or at least, she didn't recall anything like that happening... ever.

She finished the three bowls and left them on the bench, between them, with the chopsticks on them. "Uhm, Okada... thank you for the food!" she bowed deeply. "I... I don't wanna trouble you further... I don't know if I could go to the police... they could be looking for me, and I don't think I'm sick... since I don't know much, I just... I don't know, but, uh, I'd be glad to walk along you..." she fidgeted a bit with her short hair, looking directly at Okada. Little did she know, trouble was afoor, since, among the bustling city, there were people watching them, watching her, eagerly waiting to act.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back