Chitchat Film Snobs

CrewlessCaptain

Larp trash
Even if I like a movie, I tend to find flaws I can ramble about. Doesn't mean I hate it, anyone else do this? My irl friends think I'm a snob but I just think I'm further appreciating the work by analyzing it, if I happen to find flaws then cool they exist. You feel me?

I feel you. I understand Age of Ultron was a flawed work, but it's one of my favorite MCU movies.

I feel you. I understand Age of Ultron was a flawed work, but it's one of my favorite MCU movies.
Oh god yes, that and I have a ton of problems with the latest Beauty and The Beast reboot but I don't at all hate it. I appreciate how they filled in plot holes from the last film and added more development for the side characters, but the audio and casting was one of my main issues.

I don't think there's anything wrong with analyzing movies and their flaws, and I especially don't think that should make anyone a snob. imo all forms of art need constructive criticism.
I've always considered a "film snob" to be someone who looks down on others for liking XYZ genre/movie/etc. and not whatever niche, pretentious films they're into?

I don't think there's anything wrong with analyzing movies and their flaws, and I especially don't think that should make anyone a snob. imo all forms of art need constructive criticism.
I've always considered a "film snob" to be someone who looks down on others for liking XYZ genre/movie/etc. and not whatever niche, pretentious films they're into?

God I relate, like my sister keeps giving me reasons why I shouldn't dislike high school musical and I'm just like "Girl? Really?"

gosh, i do the same thing. i have a habit of watching a movie over and over again, too, and finding more flaws to mention. for example, i've seen thirteen so many times, but the acting is.. not great. the representation of self harm is bad, imo. not only that, but the ending is so confusing?? she just screams into the air?? about what?? i don't know??
it's a good movie, overall, though.

i also have a habit of talking to the movie. dude does something i don't like? i yell at him. girl falls for guy too quick?? "CHi l l IT HAS BEEN A D AY".

I tend not to analyze the movies much.
I like to afterwards, but not while watching.
Sometimes, though, I just don't like a movie, and don't realize what the reason for that is until I analyze it.
Take the Force Awakens; I couldn't relate to any of the characters (which is fine) and they didn't develop them well/much (which is not), all the action was unimpressive to me, and the plot was uninteresting/repetitive to me.
Episodes 1-3 are story-driven movies that use their characters to emphasize the story. Episodes 4-6 are story-driven movies that are guided by their characters. Episode 7 was a character-driven movie that was used the story to emphasize its characters, and since I didn't feel much for the characters, I didn't like it.
Usually, throughout the first watch through, I just let the movie movie, and analyze it afterwards.

gosh, i do the same thing. i have a habit of watching a movie over and over again, too, and finding more flaws to mention. for example, i've seen thirteen so many times, but the acting is.. not great. the representation of self harm is bad, imo. not only that, but the ending is so confusing?? she just screams into the air?? about what?? i don't know??
it's a good movie, overall, though.

i also have a habit of talking to the movie. dude does something i don't like? i yell at him. girl falls for guy too quick?? "CHi l l IT HAS BEEN A D AY".

Tbh I did that so much during Superman IV, I lost my voice by the end of the film

I tend not to analyze the movies much.
I like to afterwards, but not while watching.
Sometimes, though, I just don't like a movie, and don't realize what the reason for that is until I analyze it.
Take the Force Awakens; I couldn't relate to any of the characters (which is fine) and they didn't develop them well/much (which is not), all the action was unimpressive to me, and the plot was uninteresting/repetitive to me.
Episodes 1-3 are story-driven movies that use their characters to emphasize the story. Episodes 4-6 are story-driven movies that are guided by their characters. Episode 7 was a character-driven movie that was used the story to emphasize its characters, and since I didn't feel much for the characters, I didn't like it.
Usually, throughout the first watch through, I just let the movie movie, and analyze it afterwards.

I can totally see that, like I've been working on doing that since I tend to react and form opinions very quickly. Take Moana for example;

I feel like as a protagonist and the main focus of the plot she was very one dimensional, only really having two moods: Giving up, or yelling at Maui.
Then there was the fact that filler outweighed any plot development, like we could've seen more memories from the island, or had moments where the characters develop themselves through either visual story telling or something, but we just kinda got filler after filler.
That and I feel like the secondary lead Maui would've made a much more exciting protagonist, he was already better developed, more expressive, and even has an interesting story arch when he pretty much redeems himself because of his own past actions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back