• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Fight for Control [closed]

Kylo regarded Reveille with a raised eyebrow, but he wouldn’t argue against her. He didn’t have the strength, and she would soon realize her own stubborn mistake once they stepped outside the ship. If she found that she wanted warmer clothes, she could swallow her pride and ask him.

Once the ship landed, Kylo followed Reveille in standing up. He was mindful of the sleeping child in his arms. He was careful to not jostle her in any way, as he came to the thought that it would be easier to get their new ship with her asleep.

He didn’t want her to see him using the Force to coax a vendor to hand over a shuttle.

His eyes gazed over at Reveille before he looked back at the ramp now lowering. The burst of cold air sent a shiver through his body, and his arms tightened around Thenn slightly in response. He would take the first steps off the ship and see where exactly it was Reveille landed them.

~~

When Lavinia didn’t find Karn in the warehouse, she took her time in solitude to make some minor adjustments to the spy droids as she saw fit after the test run. Nothing major, and nothing she needed to alert anyone about.

And she would completely ignore the tears that rolled down her cheek, even when a few of the droids questioned her about it.

She managed a few hours of sleep that night, before being woken up by an incessant chirping at her side. She groaned and rolled over, hand reaching out to turn off the alarm, but instead, she felt a vibroblade and a hard, cold body.

Stabbity was there, and now Lavinia was awake. “Thank you, Stabbity,” she responded with a smile as she grabbed the dress. “Tell him I’ll be there soon.”

Once the droid chirped and wheeled off, Lavinia gently placed the dress on the bed and made an attempt to straighten herself out, as best she could without any change on clothes, before she headed towards the warehouse.

Where she spied Karn resting against a crate.

Her leg shifted as she considered how to wake him up. The droids merely watched her as she told them to remain silent. Sighing, she ultimately decided to just gently nudge him with her foot. “Come on, wake up now. You can sleep later.”

Reveille felt the cold air even from where she was standing, and instinctively crossed her arms over her chest. She wouldn’t complain. She refused to complain. But she really wished she had one of her brother’s coats right then.

Thenn let out a whimper as the blast hit her face, and she stirred awake. “What’s—where—?” She squirmed in Kylo’s arms to get a look around, and saw they had landed somewhere.

“Ando Prime,” Reveille reminded. “We’re getting a new ship,” she explained, moving ahead to step out and trying not to start shivering immediately. Her nails just dug further into her arms, adding more crescent moons to an arm that already had plenty of marks from Kylo’s mental invasion.

She didn’t exactly know where to go, but she knew that leaving the hangar was step one, so she turned towards the entrance to the city. Without a datapad, she couldn’t really look up where a shipyard was. ‘This is how you die. Cold and proud, with pink hair.’ Probably fitting. Oh well. She’d just have to go into the nearest cantina or something and ask people where to find a ship.

“I can walk,” Thenn was telling Kylo, struggling a bit to get out of his grip.

~***~

Karn let out a groan as he felt the nudge. He wasn’t deep in sleep – he hadn’t sent Stabbity to Lavinia that long ago – but he had still drifted. “I’mmawake.” The words blurred together as he moved his hand to bat in the direction of the nudging foot, never even connecting with it.

He stretched himself off, yawned, and opened his eyes to find Lavinia there. He sighed, knowing what that meant, and he pushed himself up to stand, “Dress work?” He asked first, as Stabbity came around to insist that of course the dress worked.

Not that Stabbity had stayed around to make sure it fit.

“I’m not getting another unless it doesn’t fit,” he noted, in case she wanted to complain about some stylistic thing with the green dress. He thought it would look fine. It’d been owned by someone fancy.

Reveille was cold. Kylo knew it. He debated between mentioning it, or allowing her to struggle with her own pride and ego, but he was soon distracted by squirming in his arms.

Thenn had woken up and wanted down. He subconsciously tightened his arms to prevent her from falling. Kylo followed beside Reveille. In a move he would not mention in any aspect, he stepped closer to the freezing woman. He had enough body warmth for all of them, but the matter was if she wanted to be so close.

He frowned at the girl in his arms. “But will you be warm enough?” Would her tiny body be able to keep her warm enough?

Without another word, Kylo knelt to let go of Thenn, but he didn’t stand back up right then. He wanted to see what Thenn wanted. “Do you think you will be warm enough on your own?”

~~

A slight smirk settled across her lips as Karn attempted to swat at Lavinia’s foot in light protest. Her foot settled back on the floor, and she thought to step away to allow the man room to situate himself and stand up.

“Yes, the dress did work.” She looked down at Stabbity. “And thank you for delivering it to me in perfect condition.” Not that she doubted their ability in that aspect. But Lavinia had been slightly surprised at the opulence of the dress. It definitely costed its original owner a pretty credit.

A slight smile as indication of her appreciation. “Really, it was perfect. Perfect fit, even.” There was still the matter of jewelry, hair style, and shoes, but she would think about that later.

“Now, you wanted to talk more about our little party?” Lavinia sat on a nearby crate. “This could be a great exercise in patience for you.”

Reveille took note of how Kylo’s gait increased momentarily to put him much closer to her, and she stiffened, and took a couple quick steps further, and was grateful when Thenn’s squirming forced Kylo to stop. She didn’t want to have to tell Kylo to keep his distance, but supposed she may have to.

She’d freeze, happily, if it kept that fear from creeping back up again, as it had when his shadow fell over her. Their interactions up close were far from good, and if they were going to try and stay amicable, then she needed the distance.

No matter the warmth.

And Thenn giggled at Kylo’s query, “Of course!” The Force moved through her, warming her with practiced ease, “Nyx said we always….” And she trailed. Her expression grew sorrowful. The Force slowed, and she lost control of it, and her ability to warm herself.

She shivered. “You’re right…it’s cold.”

~***~

The dress was good. Karn was pleased to hear that, and nodded. That meant he wouldn’t have to try for another, so she was set, as far as he was concerned. She had the fancy dress. He’d get the servant attire, or whatever he needed, in time for all of this. “You’re welcome,” he said, even as Stabbity also offered similar sentiments.

He took a seat on a crate across from her as well. “Yep. Might as well learn if these rich bitches can be worse than Brendol,” he cocked a smirk, “Pretty sure they can’t. Oh, or Brooks. Now that was an asshole par excellence,” he mimed a chef’s kiss at that, and then rolled his eyes, “Come on, Lavinia. You see where I come from.”

Perhaps she didn’t know much about what the Cadets went through.

“Why do you think these soft-handed jerks are going to bother me so much?”

He’d been through hell and back. Well, not the back part.

No Cadet left hell. It just went with them. Everywhere.

Kylo frowned at the noticeable distance Reveille put between him and herself, but he didn’t mention it. Fine, freeze. Let your stubborn nature kill you from frostbite.

But Thenn soon attracted all the attention. Always protect the small child.

He was set on accepting Thenn’s explanation for her own warmth. Then Nyx’s name was spoken. Kylo froze, even as the burn around his neck pulsated in phantom pain, and even Thenn had a noticeable dip in mood, and soon changed her mind.

Kylo wouldn’t say anything else on that matter. He nodded and gathered Thenn back in his arms before returning to full height. “It’s best to save your energy anyways.”

His focus returned to Reveille, but he respected their distance. “Lead the way.”
~~

A light nod and a smile of acknowledgement to Karn’s response. Lavinia, although not noticing it herself, enjoyed the company Karn brought her. She even hadn’t had much of a chance to speak with Borran or Tanis over the past few days, and so Karn became one of the few people who had been amicable to her.

“I’ve only heard a few stories about Brendol, and I must admit, I know very little about Brooks.” The names were all familiar. But she knew very little of what they have done, aside from what Armitage told her of Brendol.

After all, she hadn’t been in the First Order very long.

“Well, I don’t know what exactly will bother you, so I just want to prepare you for the first.” With a sigh, Lavinia crossed her legs on the crate to get more comfortable. “It should be no surprise that their servants are treated like second-class citizens. I would honestly use the term slaves, but they do get paid, even if it’s a meager amount.” Barely enough to live.

“They will mock and demean them in any way possible, to constantly remind them of their position in life and society. It’s disgusting, their lack of apathy for another living being. I’ve seen many even use physical violence at the smallest infraction.” Her arms wrapped around her torso in a false sense of comfort.

“Depending on how the others perceive me when I’m there, I may throw a few choice words in your direction, or to any other servant who just so happens to be nearby. Stars, I hate it, but I can make it up to you somehow, for putting up with any abuse you may encounter.”

Thenn let herself be picked up, to save her energy, to not think of Nyx and her teachings. Reveille waited, freezing, but patient enough. She had to tell herself it was better than a sun. Far better than a sun.

It didn’t stop the shivering.

She nodded once Kylo Ren was prepared to move on, and Thenn was buried against his chest. Warm, safe, protected. At least Reveille was assured he wouldn’t harm the child as he’d easily harm her, though a part of her remained tense all the same, wary of a shift in mood. She’d seen the hint of it when Thenn mentioned Nyx.

She’d walk on, determined not to bow her head further against the wind or show more of a sign of her dislike of the weather than absolutely necessary. She wouldn’t shuffle. She kept her gaze alert for a place that could help, and eventually took note of a cantina that seemed active enough. There was always one near a hangar.

And it was blessedly warm; Reveille was immediately relieved, her posture visibly relaxing once the door shut.

It was too early for a riotous crowd, which was good. It seemed almost like a standard diner for lunch, though a little less busy for the lunch hour – not too many would risk going to get a drink during working hours. Naturally, those few who were in there took a look at the strange trio – the woman without proper attire, and the man clutching a non-human child to his chest. They all immediately came to the same conclusion: a married couple with an adopted child, harried by events.

And hell would have no fury like a mother looking for something, as Reveille seemed to be when she approached the counter. “Is there something I can help you with, ma’am?”

“A ship. I need to know where I can find a ship.” Reveille indicated, as Thenn started to look around at the new environment and the new people.

~***~

Insults. Physical abuse. Karn nearly laughed at the thought that this was meant to bother him, but he didn’t. He just nodded, “So I get paid to get insulted? Sounds like an upgrade,” to most, it was probably a special hell, to have to endure pain to make a living – whatever the living could be considered.

They hadn’t been forged in it like the Cadets. The fact they didn’t make a living off of it probably helped them become those weapons that they were now. They had no reason to endure it, except to one day take their revenge and put their pain onto everything else around them.

It hadn’t taught Karn, anyways, that he should be friendly, or want to improve the world for others, as it seemed to do for Armitage and Reveille. He’d rather watch it all burn.

“Go on, show me how you’re supposed to hurt me,” he encouraged, “maybe then we can negotiate a fair price for my agony.” He was too amused, and he suspected that attitude wouldn’t be good to carry over into his role as a servant. People who saw a lively spirit tended to want to break it.

He could act otherwise. But right now, with Lavinia? He supposed it’d be good to reassure her this wasn’t going to phase him. She was so apologetic, it was a wonder she hadn’t dropped everything and apologized to Armitage and Reveille ages ago; he’d heard what sort of things she’d dished out to them. Or at least, exaggerations of it, anyways.

Without looking at Reveille, Kylo could sense the frigidness in her body. Maybe he should have just waved it off and ignored it. After all, she had denied his help. But he frowned and helped guide them to where he could sense a gathering of people. A cantina.

Reveille had been the first to notice it. He followed behind, one hand rested on the back of Thenn’s head. The chill started to seep through his clothes, so the discovery of the cantina was welcomed relief. If he was cold, he could only imagine how Reveille fared, through her stubborn nature.

The blast of warm air thawed his face, and Kylo could’ve sighed in relief. One thing stuck out at him about the inhabitants of the cantina. Worry and interest over the strange family. A half smirk crossed his face in amusement. He wouldn’t mention it to his two companions, but if it could help them amongst the inhabitants? He would play it up.

His hand dropped from Thenn’s head as she started to look around. He wouldn’t put her down just yet, not until she asked for it.

The woman glanced between the trio. “You’re in luck. There’s an Ugnaught in a booth over there,” she motioned to the far left wall, “who has four ships for sell. Florx. He will be your best bet until our market opens in five days.”

Kylo looked to where the woman pointed, and spotted the Ugnaught mentioned. He nodded to the woman and moved to lead them to the booth.

~~

Lavinia could hardly call herself surprised. The rumors about the Cadets and what they went through were not pleasant. The entire party may be a simple walk in the park for Karn, and nothing more than a memory of his Academy days.

“A fair price for your agony?” She cocked an eyebrow in amusement. “By the sounds of it, you may enjoy a little bit of public humiliation.” Lavinia entertained the idea of his being a sadomasochist, and she almost had the idea of asking him about it.

“I won’t hurl any insults your way right now. I’ll let that be a surprise.” And there was the fact she couldn’t come up with any for him in the moment; they had to be organic and fueled by the situation. “What may be the hardest for you is the most important thing. The way you talk to Armitage? You can’t do that to them, especially since you’re there to help collect information. You will need to be as subservient as is possible for you.”

She looked over him in slight contemplation. He did say he could get anywhere, did that meant his acting skills were also just as good? “I’ve also heard of some servants to go missing. What happens to them, I don’t know. Could be anything from sold into slavery or outright killed. So what I’m saying is, please watch that mouth of yours.”

Reveille looked in the direction of the ugnaught specified, named Florx. Four ships. Certainly one of them would be useful, and easy enough to acquire. “Thank you,” she remained blissfully unaware of the thoughts around her, and she would go towards the booth as Kylo did.

Thenn looked curiously around, but didn’t ask to be let down, even if she was warmer in the building. She just kept one fist tight around Kylo’s shirt.

“Excuse me, Florx,” Reveille didn’t ask to sit, simply slid into the booth across from the alien, “I was told you had four ships to sell. I need one with room enough for three.” Even if she’d love a single Starfighter right then, she had to deal with Kylo and Thenn.

No zooming off on her own. She was bringing these two along with her, for now.

Thenn smiled and waved with her other hand, realizing her inclusion in the ‘three’, “Hiiiii! We can really, really use your help, Mister Florks.”

~***~

Karn let out a bitter laugh at her suggestion that he enjoyed public humiliation. Hardly. But he wouldn’t deny it any further than that. There was a reason every Cadet was a weapon. Revenge, mostly. Revenge, anger, spite, and a certain pettiness they all harbored deep in their souls. The program was meant to make them subservient by showing them what happened when they stepped out of line, but the ones who ended up that way, ended up dead in the final challenge for every Cadet.

An accident.

He did smirk at her refusal to grant him any insult. “You’re no fun,” he accused, but listened on as she told how he’d have to be. He could act subservient. Hells, they all could…until they couldn’t. Reveille and Armitage had broken first.

Then Schaeffer.

He didn’t intend to, truly, be the next one, given the results of that.

“I can be subservient, miss Aburius,” he said, voice taking on a slightly higher pitch, but spoken in a lower volume. The higher pitch made him sound younger, less experienced. “I have no plans of insulting anyone or not doing what they say. I intend to do everything very well so they never have reason to look at me.”

Stabbity beeped a complaint. It didn’t like his voice. It didn’t like his posture. It didn’t like anything about what he’d said.

Kylo slid into the booth following Reveille, mindful of keeping some distance between them. Thenn adjusted in his grip to sit in his lap at a comfortable angle to face everyone.

Florx momentarily froze and stared with widened eyes at the unexpected intruders in his silence, but he shook himself out of his stupor at the voice of the little girl. His eyes scanned the odd-looking family as he came to his own conclusion for why they needed a ship.

“I may have one that will work, but the price will run a bit high. These types of ships are in high demand right now, and with the market not opening for a few more days? You’re hardly the first to need a ship today.”

Kylo narrowed his eyes. He knew the Force could easily resolve this exchange in just a matter of seconds, but he had also hoped Thenn would, by some miracle, still be asleep. But he could try one more tactic, by what he read from the patrons.

“Is there any deal we can make? As you can see, we’re a little down on our luck right now due to a series of unfortunate misadventures we’ve had in the past few days. My wife and daughter aren’t even properly clothed for the weather on this planet. We just want to get home.”

With the small plea, Florx seemed to hesitate a moment, reconsidering his initial offer. He did have a soft spot for children...

~~

Lavinia straightened at the sudden sound of the bitter laugh, but she soon repositioned and rested her elbows on her legs. Karn was still a mystery for her in how he acted. She didn’t know if his entire personality was an act, and that he was about to kill her right then, or if he was an open book and used that to surprise people by subverting expectations.

She wouldn’t doubt either option.

You’re no fun. She shrugged. Although the opportunity to slap him presented itself and she denied it, she hardly cared in the moment that he considered her to be no fun. Fun didn’t get the job done, though it could help with keeping sanity.

The fake voice Karn put on was almost perfect, that Lavinia scrunched her nose. “Stars, I’ve forgotten how much I hated hearing my last name.” It reminded her too much of her parents. Of her mother.

Stabbity complained, and she let out a bark of laughter. “It’s just for this mission. It’s all pretend, so we can get something we need. He’s still going to be the same asshole with us.”

‘My wife and daughter?’

It was no small miracle that Reveille managed to keep the surprise off of her face. No small miracle that she didn’t turn to slap Kylo then and there for even the suggestion of a romantic entanglement. She still had to take a deep breath as the man was examining Thenn.

Thenn, who’s lip quivered a bit as Kylo called her ‘his daughter’, an act that might have looked like the sorrow and stress were catching up with her, but was really her happy surprise to hear it. It was likely a good thing the emotion was overwhelming and she wasn’t able to thank Kylo for that. Or break their cover.

Reveille would maintain it, mental note made to murder Kylo later. “We have a ship that we can trade. I—I wouldn’t keep it, but you may be able to make some profit on it by parting it out. You can keep that as a down payment, and if you’d give us your information, we would make up whatever else we owed. We’re going back to his mother’s home,” a flicker of a smile, that fell, as Reveille opted to let the worry of the day, of who was pursuing them, actually show through.

The stress, the worry, would help with what Kylo said. Some determination to make it up, as well, might suggest they were decent people when they were not.

But Reveille supposed she may try to make this up anyways.

~***~

Another laugh, this one more sincerely amused, escaped Karn as Lavinia expressed her displeasure with her surname. “It’s a mouthful,” he said, “But at least it isn’t Hux. Hux, fux, sux, dux….,” oh the fun they’d had with that, oh so long ago, before Hux just got used to it and it wasn’t fun anymore.

Reveille, as well, though she’d never seemed phased by those stupid names. Armitage was the one who was bothered by it. No small wonder. He was the illegitimate Hux.

“I can’t do anything fun with Aburius. Well, at least not right now. Maybe I could.” He lifted one shoulder in a half shrug, before leaning back on his crate and folding his arms over his chest. His voice was back to normal. “So, be subservient, do as requested, don’t insult anyone’s name – anything else I should know?”

Stabbity complained a bit more about this whole mission, “Hey, one day we’ll just take grenades into a place, but that’s not yet. Hux doesn’t want that yet and we don’t have enough grenades.”

More complaining.

“We’re working on it. He wants to murder people more than you want to murder people.”

Stabbity doubted that.

Stabbity doubted that a lot.

Oh, could Kylo feel the displeasure radiating from Reveille. He was not surprised to feel it one bit, although the euphoria from Thenn had him bewildered and curious.

He couldn’t ponder on that meaning just yet. But he would try and ask her later.

Florx hummed in consideration with what Reveille offered. He already knew if he accepted the deal, he would lose some credits. If they wanted to part with the ship so desperately for a new one, someone had to be wrong with it, which meant it would be hard to sale for what it’s worth.

He supposed to he strip it and sell it for parts. That was worth some credits. He didn’t consider her warning for not keeping it.

After a few more seconds of his eyes flittering between the three of them, taking in their haggard appearance, from the burn marks in Kylo’s neck to the worry in Reveille’s expression, Florx nodded. “Okay, fine, but only because I enjoy a good sob story.” He reached into the inner pocket of his jacket and took out a set of keys.

“I would just take you to the ship, but I just got here and currently waiting for my food. Also, I would rather not go back out in that weather right now. The ship is in the shipyard, in hangar 2. It’s the only ship in that hangar, so it’s pretty hard to miss.”

Kylo grabbed the keys with a nod. “Thank you.” He would have difficult with the keys as he continued to hold onto Thenn, so he slid them on the table over to Reveille. “We appreciate this greatly.”

With that, he slid from the booth and stood back up.

~~

Lavinia winced in sympathy for the Huxes. She couldn’t imagine the taunts thrown their way, the cruel jeers and nicknames. She surmised easily enough that Karn had been one to pick on Hux with nicknames. He certainly wasn’t kind enough to not do that.

“If you can find a way to do something fun with Aburius, please let me know. I’m curious.” Lavinia had her own fair share of nicknames in her childhood and teenaged years, but none had to do with her names. And she certainly wouldn’t give Karn that fuel to help him.

She rested her chin on her hand. “I can’t think of anything else at the moment that you absolutely need to know. If I think of something, I’ll be sure to inform you immediately.”

Then Stabbity piped up. Of course the droid had a complaint.

She scoffed, rolling her eyes. “And I’m sure you will all get to murder soon enough.” Lavinia wasn’t in line to eagerly murder. She would only do it if it was an absolute necessity. For survival. “But for now, we’ve got to follow a plan.”

Reveille was relieved that it had been so easy, even without Kylo using the Force. She took the key to the ship that had brought them there, and set it on the table. She would slide it towards Florx, “Thank you,” she said, as she palmed the new key, and took it in hand, “Thank you so much,” she should show more gratitude than just that first ‘thank you’. A little more than standard.

She had to sell this ‘mother’ act.

‘Kill Kylo later.’

She offered the information on where Florx could find their own ship. It wasn’t the only one in the hangar, but nonetheless, it would stand out. It was a yacht, after all. Those were usually made of good metal.

“Thank you, Florks!” Thenn added, still not quite saying the name right, “Thank you for helping my family!”

Reveille winced internally, but she’d move on, rising, and making strides to get out of the cantina as quick as she could, to get out of this damnable situation and this lie.

And somehow tell Thenn that no, she was not going to be her new mother or her new family.

~***~

Karn chuckled, but nodded. If he figured something out, he’d let her know. He wouldn’t be able to help himself. “Thanks,” he did say to her statement of information, “Then I’ll make sure I find out what I can beforehand, too.”

Not with the spydroids, of course. Those were going to be tested at the party, but he could still get up to the Uppercity and take a look around at the servants. He would rise from the crate and stretch. “Welp, guess I better find something to do until then. So should you,” he suggested idly.

Stabbity beeped out about murder again and doing some of that, “No, Stabbity. Later. First the plan, like she said. Then the murder. Unless you want to go murder Minka. You can absolutely go murder Minka.”

Stabbity declined. Stabbity declined immediately.

Florx smiled at the smile child, even as she continued to mispronounced his name. It was endearing to him. He waved at her as they walked off. “Odd family,” he muttered to himself as he grabbed the new keys and pocketed them.

Kylo led them out of the cantina, but he took a brief pause when he noticed a coat draped over a chair, and its unaware owner distracted by conversation at the next table. He only had to shift his path a little in order to walk past the coat and swipe it.

Reveille was angry. And still, he sought to help her from freezing in their walk to the shipyard. He didn’t know the distance, but any distance in the cold was too much.

The blast of the frigid air hit his face when they faced the environment once again. “Here,” he gruffed, thrusting the coat out for Reveille to take. And damn it, if she didn’t accept it, he would force her to.

Who knows if they were going to any other icy planets?

~~

Lavinia didn’t immediately stand when Karn did. There was the suggestion of her finding something to do, to which she scoffed. She didn’t know what she could do until then, outside of twiddling her thumbs and aimlessly wandering the Lowercity to ensure distance between herself and Armitage.

“Note to self, do not upset this Minka,” she had murmured after witnessing the brief exchange between Karn and Stabbity.

Lavinia sighed and rose from the crate. “I’m not sure what I can do in the meantime that won’t irritate Hux, but I’m sure I’ll manage.” If not directed to do anything else, she decided that she would try and explore the distract. Not only would it be good for locating more resources, but also beneficial for overhearing anything useful.

Reveille wasn’t happy to be thrust back out into the elements, but had no plans of slowing down at any point all the same. Again, her arms moved to cross over her chest in some vain effort to preserve warmth, before Kylo was thrusting a coat at her.

There was a part of her that definitely wanted to protest just to protest, but the wind was convincing. She grabbed the coat and bundled it around herself. She didn’t stick her arms through the sleeves, just wrapped it around as if it were a blanket instead of a coat. She still threw up the hood, though. Her ears were freezing.

She still heard Thenn ask, “So you’re adopting me?” to Kylo, and she managed not to roll her eyes, even if the hood would have hidden the action. She’d let Kylo deal with that as she went in the direction of the shipyard, figuring it wouldn’t be too hard to find hangar two from there. “Or—or was that part a lie like the married thing?” It had stricken Thenn after a few moments that it might be.

She was pretty sure Kylo and Reveille weren’t married.

~***~

Karn canted his head to the side, “What’d you do now?” He hadn’t stayed back to see her conversation with Hux, didn’t know of one, but the fact she was always so hyper-focused on upsetting Hux made him figure she’d done something new and interesting to earn his ire.

Hux had seemed normal to him, though.

Stabbity made a suggestion that more knives could be stolen from Hux, “Look, stealing one was enough, you have no idea how hard that is. He doesn’t exactly leave them lying around.” No, he kept them on his person almost all the time. Getting a spare knife from Hux was terribly difficult and not worth it.

“That’s also going to irritate him, which she doesn’t want to do.”

Stabbity just grumbled a complaint that he needed more knives.

Kylo was pleased that Reveille took the coat and actually used it instead of chucking it somewhere in the snow. His attention diverted back to Thenn as she began talking, asking her innocent question in response to his little lie earlier.

Shit.

He hesitated. How would he respond? He knew he didn’t want to part from her any time soon, but to claim her as his own? That may be a conversation saved for a later, more appropriate, time.

But he knew he couldn’t outright tell her no. Not with the doubt in her voice. Not with the way he was sure her eyes stared at him, as he carried her forward.

“Would you like to stay with me?” Kylo asked instead. It would be the safe option for now, as he didn’t even know what she wanted. He had been more concerned with getting her away from Nyx’s control.

~~

Lavinia threw a half-hearted glare in Karn’s direction. She didn’t quite blame him for asking that question. She did have her ways of upsetting Armitage, intentionally or not.

Stabbity’s suggestion drew her attention. “If you want his knives, you steal them.” Even if it was just a droid who probably couldn’t steal anything. She wasn’t risking further ire from Hux.

“Although just my being on this planet is enough to irritate him.” She frowned, thinking back to the earliest conversation. Her realization that nothing would change, no matter what she did.

She shrugged. “I just need to accept that fact and get over it. He’s a stubborn man who can’t stand to even listen to me.” Lavinia knew she wanted to stay on Taris for a while longer, but she didn’t know if she could stand being in the same area as Armitage. Depending on the outcome of the party, she considered staying in the Uppercity to act as their eyes and ears.

Spy to spy to spy.

But she wouldn’t quite voice her idea just yet.

Kylo navigated it well enough, without giving an actual answer, Reveille thought. He instead asked if Thenn wanted to be with him, and Reveille could imagine the enthusiastic nodding.

Which, was true, before Thenn paused, seeming to consider, “I…I think so. I’m not sure where else…,” and that was a problem, of course. Taken from Nyx, she really didn’t know anything else. “I still don’t…fully understand why we had to go. I know Reveille didn’t hurt me, but….”

Her look at the back of Reveille’s head said quite a bit.

But Reveille had killed Nightsisters.

But Reveille was, supposedly, their enemy.

But wasn’t Nyx’s goals, their goals?

Reveille wouldn’t speak to any of that, of course. It wasn’t her place. She just led them into the shipyard, and found hangar two, and the single ship that was there, just as Florx had promised.

~***~

It seemed Lavinia had accepted her fate, or was just assuming it. It was probably the same in either case. Hux grated on people, but people grated on him. When he was annoyed, other people were annoyed. Karn had just gotten so used to it. “Yeah, you’re probably right. I’m pretty sure he’d be happiest on an abandoned planet, except then he wouldn’t have anyone to kill and no uprisings to plot.”

So, probably not. He needed to be annoyed to thrive. If something wasn’t annoying him, then something was wrong. And if something was annoying, then it needed to be fixed.

He’d never be happy.

“Least you’re starting to figure it out. I’ll leave you to figure out how you can stop being annoyed by him, then. I’ll see ya at the party?” Well, see. They probably wouldn’t interact much before that time. “I should go find out how to get properly employed so I can get paid for this nonsense,” he chuckled.

That wouldn’t be too difficult for him.

Kylo sighed. “I can explain everything later.” Preferably when Reveille wasn’t nearby. He didn’t want her interjecting with her own ‘thoughts.’ Also, he didn’t want to explain in the freezing cold, with numbing wind blasting against his face.

“But I will be happy for you to stay with me.” And he would. He would be happy. Except he didn’t know a single thing about children. And how to raise them. At least she was old enough to tell him what she needed.

They trekked along until they came into the shipyard and soon found the correct hangar. The lone ship sat there, not a newest model, but it would be sufficient for them and their travels. It was a downgrade from the ship he took for his and Discord’s travels.

He frowned at the memory but shook it off. “Do you think this will be acceptable?” Light sarcasm laced his words. As if they have any other choice.

~~

Lavinia snorted. Karn was right. Had she ever seen the man pleased or happy for more than five seconds? She couldn’t recall a moment, but never had she been the recipient of such consistent hostility from him until...her truth came froward.

And now she would never experience the moment before again.

“Yeah, all of that sounds like a must-do. I believe he wanted to do a briefing before the party. I trust you can do that on your own?” She wouldn’t be needed there. She didn’t want to be there at the briefing. Lavinia would allow Karn to talk to Armitage, while she made her way back into the elites’ lives. “If he wants us both there, just tell him I am...busy.”

And she had ideas in mind of what to do in the days leading up to the party. Finding accessories for her party outfit. Reestablishing her network up there. Anything she could do to assume a smooth transition back into their lives.

Reveille was slightly upset not to hear what reasons Kylo could give Thenn. She was morbidly curious how he’d explain it to the girl, but for now, she’d not press it, either. Thenn’s ‘hmph’ of a pout was enough, even if she was still happy that Kylo wanted her around.

“If it flies, it’s acceptable,” Reveille answered, continuing her approach to the ship without so much as a look back at Kylo and Thenn. The door opened, the ramp allowed them access, and the ship was thankfully not full of cold wind. Reveille would consider that a win.

“You should find a first aid kit,” she said to him, as she moved towards the cockpit, “I need to find our next heading,” which meant figuring out how to reach Terex. Most of the places Terex would be, were not exactly child-friendly places. And he would be worried to hear from her at this point.

Convincing him to help her find Leia might be difficult if he thought Kylo was involved. ‘What else am I supposed to do?’ She didn’t exactly have anyone else’s contact information or ways to find them, memorized.

She probably should have memorized Valo’s information.

~***~

Karn laughed outright at Lavinia attempting to push away the duty of reporting to Armitage, “Nope. You can give him the excuses yourself,” Karn stated, as he started to walk towards the door, “You’re either working with us and answering to the same authority as the rest of us, or you can leave.”

Good timing for him to reach the door. He might have considered the dramatic flair of getting to open it on those words to be poignant – if he had opened the door. Instead he pressed his hand to it. “I mean, we all know you’re just here to get a ship and get out, but you can pretend a little better,” he winked.

No, most thought that was true.

He knew a little better, and it was why he bothered with the teasing lie. She was so bothered by Hux and everything, because her little lie of being his aide and falling for him hadn’t been entirely a lie. But she needed to get a grip and move on, or else buck up and push forward.

Wallowing and avoiding weren’t going to help.

Kylo lightly patted Thenn on her head as she humphed. He considered it a win that she didn’t argue or complained to him about lack of answers right then. The ship easily distracted him enough.

He had to agree, if it flies, then it’s acceptable. At least until they got somewhere else. Where are we headed?

Once they were inside the ship, Kylo carefully placed Thenn down on the ground. He wanted to ask where she had in mind for their next location, but she spoke up before he could. Suggested him to find first aid. The dull pain of his burn flared back. The cold atmosphere of the planet had momentarily relieved his pain, but it was now back with a dull throb.

He headed towards the back wall, where a first aid kit would normally be found along with other emergency supplies for the ship. How could he even treat the wound? He mused that bandages weren’t often made for the complete circumference of a neck.

~~

Lavinia scowled as Karn just pulled her back into the briefing. “I am working with you,” she huffed. “It’s that your authority would push me off a building if presented the opportunity.” Which made her think, why she even answered to him anymore.

She had a goal. She knew what she needed to do to reach that goal. This was a mission that Lavinia knew more about the different variables at stake, and Armitage knew little to none. Why should she report to him before the party?

Karn teased her. He knew her truth, and that calmed her in some strange way. Lavinia rolled her eyes, “Of course, silly me. Can’t let anyone know my true intentions.”

She wouldn’t avoid Armitage every time, but this briefing? She would, under the guise of busy with her preparations for her entrance back into the Uppercity. She may shoot him a message later that day. Or in the morning. Waiting until the day of the party would be foolish.

She didn’t want to purposely incite further ire. “I’ll see ya later, Karn.”

~~

Lavinia didn’t wait until the next day to send a message to Armitage. It would be later the same evening, after she had already gone out into the city to being her own preparations. As she had sat down in some food bazaar, she decided it would be best to get the message out of the way, if she would continue with that plan.

And so, as she continued to eat the food she purchased from one of the many food stalls, Lavinia pulled out her datapad and composed the message.

Armitage Hux,

I have begun preparations for the party in the Uppercity
and will continue until the day of. As for the briefing to be held the day of, I believe my presence there will be unnecessary with what is needed to be done that day.

Lavinia took a pause, rereading the brief note. She had the urge to be slightly petty and include an extra comment in the message, but she resisted, and so the message was sent as is.

Last edited:
Thankfully, Kylo went on to do just that, and Thenn followed after him, “Can I help?” She didn’t really know if she could, but she was hesitant to let him wander alone. Or to leave his sight. She knew there wasn’t anything to be done with Reveille right then, even if bruises were going to blossom on her neck soon enough from what Nyx had done to her.

It wasn’t like the burns on Kylo’s neck.

Reveille, meanwhile, got the ship moving without consultation. It lifted from the ground, and she flew it out of the hangar, before launching it into lightspeed. The destination was further than she intended to let it go – she just wanted the cover of lightspeed before she decided to try every comm and radio she knew for Terex, to hail him, and hope something went through from the ship’s communications.

One, eventually, was answered, and Terex appeared in a hologram. When he saw her, he arched a brow, “Shouldn’t you be far away by now?”

“Yeah…things happened. I need to know where General Organa is now. Can you help?”

“No,” he said flatly, “not personally. But, I’ve still got some strings I can pull. Go to Takodana. I’ll see what I can do. You owe me for this.”

‘I owe you for a lot.’ She didn’t say that, just nodded, and cut communications. She didn’t want to go to Takodana, it was far too obvious in her mind, but she would.

Just as Terex would shoot a message to Poe Dameron; he kept some information memorized, too. And learned when it was changed.

You should take a fly by Takodana. Might be something interesting for you there ;)

~***~

Lavinia would leave, and Karn would make no comment of her decision to the former Supreme Leader. He would work on learning how to get hired as a servant, and report back with the information he’d gotten on that, the party, and Lavinia’s reputation as she returned like some prodigal daughter to the elite world.

Others, besides Hux, were interested in that development.

And then the day of the party arrived, and Karn went for his last briefing.

He had been made aware of Lavinia’s message. He had to tell Hux that it made sense – Lavinia couldn’t be seen among them, after all, even if he was able to move between places without notice. He was only trying to be a servant. Lavinia was doing more.

Hux hadn’t responded, though Karn sensed that he’d wanted to. Or to call off the mission entirely and leave Lavinia to deal with it. This hadn’t, after all, been cleared.

And yet he allowed it, although it was obvious he wasn’t pleased. There wasn’t much to say at the final meeting, beyond to make note of a few checkpoints, and check-ins, that Karn would be required to make.

“Anything I should tell Lavinia?”

“It wouldn’t truly matter, would it?” Armitage asked. Lavinia was inclined to do things how she liked.

Karn left it at that, and in the uniform of the caterer, he would arrive at the party.

Kylo glanced down at the girl, and bit back the smile that threatened with her innocent request. “I think you can, actually.” He stopped in front of a cabinet, and when he opened it, there was a standard first aid kit found in most personal ships.

“I can’t see the back of my neck, and I may need you to help me ensure bacta gets on the wounds back there.” He grabbed the kit and sat on the floor right there, where Thenn could easily reach him. “Do you think you can help me with that?”

The open container revealed several bacta bandages. None would be able to fit onto his neck perfectly, so careful application of multiple would have to do until the burns healed enough. “Or if you can’t, you can keep me company while I do this.”

He hardly believed that Reveille would be good company for the girl in that moment. Kylo was more than happy to keep her company.

~~

Back on the new Resistance base, Poe lightly frowned as a ping sounded from her datapad. He took it out, and his confusion only deepened when the sender was unknown.

Finn, his concentration on the holochess board between them now broken, looked up at Finn and noticed the expression that crossed his face. “What is it?”

The pilot shook his head. “Dunno, but we may need to go take a quick trip to Takodana.”

“Just know that won’t change the fact that I’m beating you.”

Poe scoffed. “Haha, very fun.”

~~

Lavinia had been slightly disappointed that nothing more came of the message. Should she had expected anything though? Armitage was clearly happy to let her do what she wanted, as long as it wasn’t near him. And so over the next few days, she did what she needed around the different levels of the city, utilizing Tanis, Borran, and old connections where applicable.

She managed to complete her party outfit with appropriate shoes and even a matching bracelet and earrings (both of which she will refuse to disclose how she managed to get a hold of them). With her up in an elegant style, Lavinia looked the part of the people she sought to blend in with once more.

The party came soon enough. Lavinia easily slipped back in to her old role with superficial comments and airy laughter. Many there remembered her and easily welcomed her back in their circle after she weaved her story explaining her absence. A few had suspicious questions, but they had been easy to satisfy.

Pretty words concerning their attire usually pacified them.

And just as quickly, she had reunited with the youngest Madine son, who remained as self-absorbed and abrasive as always. It had been easy to fall into her given role, as she sipped on some expensive champagne and laughed along to whatever Mathius Madine poorly joked about.

In that moment, her eyes landed on Karn, who blended in perfectly with the servants around them. Her expression did not falter, but she was pleased to see him there, taking up his own role.

“I can do that!” Thenn could place the bacta patches on the hard to reach places, and cover as much as possible. She was eager to help and see him get some healing done, so as soon as he sat on the floor, she came around. The ship shuddered briefly as Reveille pulled it out of lightspeed – Thenn didn’t know why, and wouldn’t question it, as it smoothed out once more as Reveille re-entered lightspeed with new coordinates.

She focused her attention on the kit, and the bacta patches. She immediately grabbed one, and then moved around back, brushing aside Kylo’s hair to better see the wound. Then, she nodded to herself, and tore open the packet before reaching up and placing it centrally on his neck, over the burn.

“Do you think we have enough?” She asked, as she let the bit of trash fall to the ground as she went to get another packet to place on his neck.

She hoped they had enough. “Maybe we can get more wherever we go….” She was only slightly worried about that.

Reveille had done well in taking them to Ando Prime. Thenn didn’t think she was going to take them anywhere bad, but she still worried.

~***~

It was the same everywhere – servants were ignored so long as they stayed in line. Karn knew how to move in that role, keeping his gaze shielded, and his appearance as docile and timid as possible, while doing whatever was asked – no question.

Of course, people here didn’t have the creativity to ask much of him as they did in the Order, and he moved as he felt was needed, or as was useful, sticking near to groups rather than isolated individuals, as the droids moved about, following programming that Lavinia had put into them.

He saw Lavinia there, in a group of elites, looking the part only too well. She’d found accessories for the dress. ‘Pulls it off well.’ And yet Karn despised the look, as he did with everyone around him.

But he knew how to keep his hatred invisible.

He’d been doing it his entire life.

Still, he was curious what was going on in Lavinia’s circle – and curious if she’d be able to insult him, so he did edge his way gradually closer to that circle. He’d heard plenty of comments about that circle, particularly Mathius. No one seemed to like him, and one woman was flaunting the stolen heirloom shamelessly, claiming it a gift he had sent to her, and denying any wrong-doing whatsoever.

Karn wouldn’t claim to have sent the gift, but it did amuse him how quickly they spread lies about each other.

Thenn’s childlike enthusiasm served as their one shining aspect at the moment. Kylo helped her and lifted some his singed hair out of the way so she could apply the bandages to the back of his neck. His eyes lifted to glance at the cockpit when he felt the shuddering of the ship leaving lightspeed, but it didn’t hold his attention for long.

She must have an idea of where she’s going.

“We should have enough.” The supply of bacta bandages was standard, which meant it wasn’t meant to supply many wounds at once. Or wounds in awkward locations, like around a neck. “At the very least, they will suffice until we arrive at our next location.” Wherever that may be.

He frowned. Whatever waited next for him, it would be a far cry than the life he had just left. If he were to see Leia again soon, he didn’t know how he would react. How he should react. If she would want him to stay or exiled.

The future held so many unknown variables, and for the foreseeable future, a small child was in his care, a small child who was currently caring for him.

“Where are we headed?” The question was asked loud enough for the woman at the cockpit to hear him.

~~

Mathius had stepped closer to Lavinia during their casual conversation with some of the others near them. It took every ounce of her willpower to not immediately take a giant step away and keep distance between them. She had forgotten how nauseating he could be.

“Can you just believe the way she is flaunting that necklace on her mannish neck?” An older woman, hair long turned white from age, scoffed. Naturally their topic had floated to the most recent scandal in their social circle over the issue of the priceless heirloom, and the audacity of the woman to flaunt it at a party she had not been invited to.

“And then claims that I gave it to her.” Mathius allowed the disgust to filter over his face. Without all the makeup and accessories, the woman in question would be quite plain, Lavinia had mused.

She shrugged, sipping on the champagne. “It’s because she knows women like her will never be of any great significance, so she has to make herself the center of attention by any means necessary.” Karn’s figure caught her attention in the corner of her eye.

Don’t you dare come over here. Oh, she knew what he wanted to do.

Mathius laughed, a sudden, booming sound that Lavinia almost winced at. “Oh how right you are. Besides, I think it would look better around your neck.”

Immediately Lavinia took a giant gulp of the champagne, nodding as she did so. The old woman who had spoken earlier, Ailsa, grinned. “Oh, now that certainly sounds better than a Solman having the necklace.”

Thenn continued to apply bandages where needed, along the back of Kylo’s neck, until she felt certain she’d covered the area as best as she could. As Kylo asked about where they were going.

Reveille answered, at least, “Takodana. You have time to rest.” Perhaps not. She didn’t actually know, but she thought it might be better if he was resting, and not out and about on Takodana while she waited for someone to get to her – whoever Terex sent, or Terex himself.

She didn’t know how this would play out, only that she had to trust Terex.

Only that she still did.

“What’s Takodana?” Thenn asked. She’d heard it a few times before, but she didn’t know much about it. Nyx didn’t seem to like it, though.

~***~

Karn was able to hear the conversation as he took a spot on the sidelines, like some other servants who didn’t see a place where they were yet needed. And were pretending to look for one. Karn enjoyed the chaos his action had caused only too much with the complaints being bleated by the Madine family.

It was so tempting to add a thought or two, but he wouldn’t. His gaze remained impassive, and away from the group, as Lavinia added her own thoughts. How easy it was to insult someone not there to hear.

And they seemed to like her. She’d gotten back into their good graces easily enough, and Mathius didn’t seem to think they’d ever broken up, by his words. Or he was still hung-up and hoping for a reunion. ‘Is this how normal people are?’ Hung up on others for ages.

He really didn’t want to be normal.

He observed as a woman in a blue gown moved to join the group, ignoring him entirely, and going to Alisa, “Miss Madine, did you know there were bith from the banking clan on planet?” Her voice was hushed, but Karn was able to hear the brunette as she said it.

‘This just got interesting.’

The woman didn’t stand out to Karn, and had no reason to – she was in the Uppercity, but newblood, Ryla, and more or less a vassal to the Madines in order to stay there.

Kylo took in a deep breath when it had been revealed they were headed to Takodana. That didn’t necessarily meant they were meeting anyone unscrupulous, or someone connected to his mother, but it was certainly suspect. He knew he wouldn’t be able to get any rest along their travels.

Thenn asked about Takodana as he moved his hair back and began to bandage the front side of his neck. A mirror would’ve made the task easier, but he could just as easily followed the burnt skin and pain he felt to map out the bandages.

“A planet of neutral ground. There’s a cantina there that people from both sides of this war frequent for either simple drinking or ways to discuss negotiations without worries of an ambush.” And those who broke the rules dealt with the wrath of Maz Kanata.

She may be small, but she was not to be underestimated.

~~

Lavinia’s eyes flickered to the woman in blue who joined them. She hadn’t immediately recognized the newcomer, but Ailsa had.

The older woman leaned closer to Ryla with their hushed voices. “I had heard the rumors. If true, we were hoping to seek out a meeting with them. What more do you know of them here?”

Lavinia had heard a few words of their conversation, but her attention had to remain focused on Mathius and an old friend of the Madines, Alistair Namore.

“It’s a shame your father couldn’t make it tonight.” Mathius didn’t actually seemed over concerned with what he just said. Just mere formalities in ‘polite society.’

Alistair shrugged. “Blame those damn urchins. There’s been more unrest than usual, and he’s been working to snuff out those flames where he can.” Lavinia had perked at that news, gossip worth participating in.

“Oh, I’m sure those will be extinguished soon enough. They never last long.” She wanted to find out why they didn’t last long, but she had her guesses, largely lack of resources and lack of structure. Both of which Armitage was working on to fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back