Featured Book and Song Suggestions

DamagedGlasses

Lurking Pun Ninja
Hello Users! Now, I am sure a great deal of you read, or skim the Newsletter every once and a while, and for those who really look into it, its probably not hard to see the Featured Book and Song we have up every month. Now, I love books and songs, and nothing is better than combining the two into one epic afternoon, filled with the words of great authors like J. K. Rowling, Steven King, and C.S. Lewis, Narnia fan here<-, and I would like to know what you think would go well for these things. Much like the many threads ran for the Newsletter, your suggestion being shown isn't definite, but it does help us Fellows know what you guys like and makes for a great reference when we just don't know what to do or have trouble deciding. If your suggestion is picked, then you will be tagged, and your own opinion of the book will be included along side the regular blurb!

So here's the plan, if your interested, just write down the book and/or song suggestion you would like to see in the Newsletter, give a short reason or two on why you liked it, a link to a summary or the Amazon page, and then post. Its simple and easy, and I love to see book names being tossed about. Maybe you find out someone loves a book you just got done reading? Maybe they wrote the book!? Who knows what you could find out about your fellow users if you just give your opinion. There will also be no judging someone else's book. I can understand not liking a book, but you don't bad mouth it in front of someone you know likes it. Thats rude and it will not be allowed.

In any case, I'll start it off and give a little example.

Rump: The True Story of Rumpelstiltskin

"Its a fun little story that, while it seems like a rather informal book to read, it has a simple joy and wonder to it, exploring an age old Fairy Tale like you would never imagine."

May I make a suggestion? Instead of a single song, having it as a suggested musical artist to check out. Allows someone to post a bit on why they like the artist as a whole and analyze their genre, instead of just posting 'THIS SONG IS THE BESTEST"

You can post multiple songs if thats what you mean. Its not about picking a favorite or the best one, just suggesting a song or book for future reference. :)

Well, I wanted to post a suggested artist, with some background on them and why I think they're awesome. Want me to post an example to see what I meant?

I think I get what you mean, go ahead if you want, though. Sharing what you like is what this thread was made for. xD

Alrighty, I'll share my favorite 3 bands then:

Clutch

This American rock band hails from Frederick, Maryland. They combine blues and rock with many themes, both traditional blues lyrics and some mythological inspiration into their lyrics into a sound that's truly unique.

[media]

[/media]
[media]

[/media]
The Protomen

Hailing from Nashville, Tennessee, this American rock band focuses primarily on an epic rock ballad based on the Megaman series of video games, telling an epic tale in 3 acts (the 3rd act is coming out soon!) of the rise of the machines. They also tend to cover a lot of music, particularly that from the 80's, which much of their music emulates the style of. They've even gone so far as to record a Queen cover album...live.

[media]

[/media]
[media]

[/media]
The Birthday Massacre

From London, Ontario, this Canadian gothic rock band features a blend of synth rock, new wave and dark wave music into a fantastic blend that's dark and playful at the same time, with themes dealing with childhood nightmares, innocence (and loss thereof), death, and other general goth-y themes. The lead singer, Chibi, rocks, and I've actually been pulled up to stage by her at a concert once (I kinda froze, so, it's not nearly as awesome as it sounds).

[media]

[/media]

Hi there! *waves* I got a few suggestions, though I'm not sure if any of them are worth anything. I guess I'll just drop 'em here anyway, heh heh. Here we go!

"Fireflies"

[media]

[/media]
Once, it had been quite popular some many years ago. I still listen to this song frequently (mostly when I can't sleep), because it practically opens up a new world with the lyrics, almost touching the brink of magical harmony and composition. When I listen to this particularly song, it makes me think of summer. And sure, summer isn't "officially" here, but to me, summer's already begun. This song suits summer (or late spring, whichever you prefer) because I feel like at the last month of school, everybody just wants to sleep and dream. I know the same could be said of me.

"Nothing Left to Lose"

[media]

[/media]
Once again, this song perfectly (at least in my mind) goes with summer. Summer is about exploration, adventure and all around fun times. This song really speaks to me about exploring a new place (for some its the city, others it may be the country side) and just letting everything go. I really love Mat Kearney's voice; it has the perfect amount of pitch and vocals, and I can just get lost in this song. The lyrics really connect with me because I can relate to it; I've never really been to a big city, and at this time in the year, I have nothing left to lose, seeing as most of my finals are done. All and all, this song is great for letting loose and dancing your cute little butts off with friends, loved ones, and that special someone.

Now, onto the books!

Reboot by Amy Tintera

[ I will post the link after I get home, sorry!]

"In this fast-paced dystopian thrill ride, perfect for fans of The Hunger Games, Legend, and Divergent, a seventeen-year-old girl returns from death as a Reboot and is trained as an elite crime-fighting soldier . . . until she is given an order she refuses to obey.

Wren Connolly died five years ago, only to Reboot after 178 minutes. Now she is one of the deadliest Reboots around . . . unlike her newest trainee, Callum 22, who is practically still human. As Wren tries to teach Callum how to be a soldier, his hopeful smile works its way past her defenses. Unfortunately, Callum’s big heart also makes him a liability, and Wren is ordered to eliminate him. To save Callum, Wren will have to risk it all."

I really loved this book (and series) because there is so much to offer for everyone. Personally, I adored the characters. I fell in love with them, cried when they did, and went on a emotional roller coaster, feeling as though I was right there with them. Each one of the characters had dispersing personalities, all of which ties up to the whole setting of the book. The book itself is unique, and I find myself wanting to read it once more. All in all, if you're looking for character development, emotional ups and downs, a great plot and a edge-of-your-seat story, this one is for you! I highly recommend anyone that is into action with a little side of romance and mystery, please read this! It truly is one of my favorites.

Uhh, I'll post maybe one more book (or two). But right now I gotta fly. Hope you enjoy what I've written so far! I'll probably post more songs later, too.

And Then there were none by Agatha Christine

widley noted as a masterpeice, And Then There were none is the classic murder mystery, detailing the meeting of eight strangers each turning against eachother in a series of twists and turns

Battle Royale by Koshun Takami

Battle Royale takes evefything you loved about the Hunger Games, and kicks it up a notch. This highly controversial story tells the tragic tale of a class of 42 students taken to an island where they are given weapons and ordered to kill eachother. The book came out just weeks short of the columbine massacure. the book is filled with suspense, character devolopmemt, action, horror, and enough social commentary to make any reader full for months

140917431798.jpeg
Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria / The Empty Box and The Zeroth Maria By Eiji Mikage

Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria, or The Empty Box and The Zeroth Maria, tells the sinister story of Kazuki Hoshino, who is almost madly attached to his everyday life, and his antagonist Aya Otonashi, who suddenly transfers into his class—for the 13,118th time. She majestically announces to "break" him, without paying heed to anyone else around them.

This is but the start of a dark roller coaster ride that turns the two against themselves, the people around them and the one who may be god. Read on as their relationship slowly changes and they go against their most basic values in their struggle against the world itself.

Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria. If you ever asked me to describe this series in one word it would be... Mouthful, as in, holy shit why is that title so long. So, to save that word, I will hereafter refer to the book by it's shorthand, Hakomari. Now then, if I were to describe Hakomari in one word it would be, ah... Brilliant, I suppose. I'm even tempted to dub it a masterpiece, but, I'll leave that for anyone who follows this humble recommendation to decide. Due to the nature of the series, I'm not particularly able to speak about what makes me love it as much as I do, for fear of spoiling the later volumes, so... I'll just focus on the first one. And, after all the fruitless recommendations I've made for this series as of late, even I can't help but get annoyed. So, for a change of pace, this time I'll declare war. So, I'm here to break you. ...Or, at least, that's what the antagonist of our first novel, Aya Otanashi, would say. Words straightforward and blunt, much like our dear antagonist, Aya Otanashi, and much unlike this dearest novel.

Twisting and turning, the plot of Hakomari is presented in much a similar fashion to detective stories, and is rather bears resemblance to Death Note. It overs a complex plots, filled with unexpected turns and developments, while never, save perhaps one occasion, having it seem as if the answer to it's mysteries being something completely out of the blue, and impossible for the reader to figure out. It expertly spins out a yarn that encompasses the reader, compelling them to construct their own theories, alongside the characters, only to find out that their assumptions were, more oft than not, wrong, as the writer reveals more of his grand plan to the reader. And hoo boy, don't even get me started on the characters. Other than providing my now favorite character in fiction, Kazuki Hoshino, Hakomari expertly weaves a cast of well-rounded and well-conceived characters, presenting them all with their own dilemmas and distinct personalities. All of which, by-the-way, are immensely interesting.

And with that, we enter the 'spoiler' section of our recommendation. Now, I won't be revealing anything major, but, if you are interested already, and want to go in not knowing anything, I suggest you stop reading now. The supernatural aspect of the series is well-conceived, complex, and most importantly of all, intriguing. Early on we are introduced to one of the driving forces of this novel, a perfect, wish granting box. It introduces them as something that grants a wish only restricted by the extent and limited by how much we believe in the wish, in other words, a 'box' grants wishes exactly as the person pictures it, that means whatever doubts you have in mind would also be brought to fruition. Personally, I find that to be one of the most interesting concepts for a wish I've seen in a while, and this series executes it perfectly. From this point, I suppose I could go on and on for a while... But I won't say anymore past that, just PLEASE read this, it is to date, my favorite piece of fiction.

Ah.. And sorry I went over that whole 'short' thing with this... I really like these books >_>

Last edited by a moderator:
The book I would have to recommend would be:

Lamb by Christopher Moore. It is not a book for everyone, since it is a comedy based on the (fictional) life of Jesus's BFF Biff, a sinner who sins so Jesus knows all about sin, and travels with Jesus during his youth. It discusses the "lost" years of Jesus's childhood and adolescence, while not at all turning Jesus into a sinner or a whiner over his fate. It's very heartwarming.

I listen to music everyday. These two songs are my favorite at the moment. Misterwives and Foxes are awesome bands <3

[media]

[/media]
[media]

[/media]

Fleet Foxes is bae & this song is v fit for spring.

[media]

[/media]
This song might either be about the French Resistance or a lover. Who knows. Love ambiguous lyrics.

[media]

[/media]
Hella obsessed with Vancouver Sleep Clinic. Music you can do homework to/cry over life to. Chill stuff.

[media]

[/media]
just my two cents, mhm. c:

Music and books, eh? I consume quite a bit of both of those things. A bit too much, now that I think of it.

Celldweller - Down to Earth

[media]

[/media]

This is a good industrial track from a highly experimental series of albums. Celldweller really does have some excellent stuff they've made and I cannot recommend listening to them enough if this song strikes your fancy. It really seems to scratch this strange itch I didn't know I had.

Scar Symmetry - Neuromancers

[media]

[/media]
This is another good track. I've been trying to get more into metal as of late since I noticed I lack any sort of knowledge about the genre, and this song happened to pop up on some countdown that was happening on XM the other day. I enjoy it, though I haven't listened to any of their other stuff to tell you the truth.

The Submarines - 1940 (Amplive Remix)

[media]

[/media]

Not everything I listen to has such a hard edge though. I really enjoy relaxed songs like this when I get off work at night. I feel like it really helps me decompress after a long day of stretching pizza dough and getting yelled at.

The Kills - Future Starts Slow

[media]

[/media]

I've been getting back into The Kills again after a few years of not listening to anything but electronica. This has always been one of my favorite tracks and I only just recently found it again. It's fantastic for sitting around, enjoying a nice drink, and generally just unwinding.

Now, as far as books go I'm gonna have a bit of a hard time choosing just one book to recommend. I read a lot, and honestly always have. I might have a bit of a problem now that I think about it. I guess I'll just go with what I consider one of my favorite books, though:

A Stainless Steel Rat is Born, by Harry Harrison

"In this prequel to the Stainless Steel Rat, Slippery Jim is a brash 17-year-old who has left his parents' porcuswine farm, planning to embark on a life of crime. The book opens with Jim bungling a bank job so that he can be arrested and sent to prison, where he plans to learn the art of being a master criminal. Deciding that the Bishop should be his mentor, Jim sets about proving himself worthy of the master's attention."

This book was highly recommended to me by my mom of all people, and I can honestly say that the character of Jim DiGriz has stuck with me since I read it. He's a criminal, and he acts as such. There isn't any sort of robin hood situation going on either; He steals money, and he keeps it.

I love music and books. One can say I can't co-exsist with others without one or the other nearby. Now, what do I recommend....

The Living Tombstone.

[media]

[/media]
[media]

[/media]
[media]

[/media]
[media]

[/media]
The Living Tombstone is known for their fan songs based on My Little Pony and now Five Nights At Freddy's. The lyrics are smart and have a good story and a very catchy beat. Plus, in certain songs, if you never heard about the shows or games that they are refrencing to you would say that the songs are good and original, thus it has appeal to those who don't like the "fandom" genre of what the song is based on.

Get Scared

[media]

[/media]
I know, I know. I have a lot of songs for The Living Tombstone, but only one for Get Scared. But their songs are so good. I think I only need one. (And you will get tired of me giving so many examples for every group) But here we have the classic good song. Wonderful meaningful lyrics, the beat of the song matches its very good lyrics, and you have a good grasp on the message that you are trying to get out there. Seriously. I was recommended to listen to this song over a year ago and now I have it on every thing that can play music in my house. Get Scared likes to take you on a trip to the dark side, but you will like it.

Madame Macabre

[media]

[/media]
[media]

[/media]
[media]

[/media]
She is a Youtuber that makes songs, mainly Creepypasta based. They are kinda homemade, you can tell from some of her songs. But, she has a tone that gives an entertaining and slightly creepy quality that gives these a bonus in your favor, also you get the feeling that these songs could be something that you sing from old stories at Halloween. Its something that you'll enjoy as you are reading your favorite story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back