Favourite game of all time

I have no idea why people like any final fantasy games past 3. After that, usually you run out of original plot ideas and just rehash previous games, which is why I die inside when I see people ENJOYING anything that has six prequels to it. That includes Final Fantasy *7*.

While Undertale is gr8 (don't get me wrong there), the fan base has really sold me. Have you ever even heard of Underfell, or Underawap? Both are amazing ideas from simple plot twists. One is all of the characters swap roles with their counterparts, and the other is That monsters really ARE monsters, and Flowey is your only ally.

However, one game in development still hasn't let go of my heart: Starbound. As I just said, it's still in early access, but is deeply worth it, with thousands of tiles to find, build, and use, 6? 5..? No, 6 different liquids: water, poison, lava, healing water, tar, and liquid Erchius.

There are 7 stereotype-breaking races to play as well, along with (as-of-yet) unplayable pirate penguins: boring humans, intelligent-but-oppressed apes, religious-to-a-fault birds, carnivorous tribal reverse-engineering plant people, fashionable and peaceful fish people, glitch-that-saves emulation of a society, and Da-Vinci-atyle-forgetful Cowboys. Those would be the Humans, Apex, Avians, Florans, Hylotl, Glitch, and Novakid.

To get the full story, you really have to see it for yourself. However, I must earn you: While it looks like space-Terraria, and is being made by the same lead designer, Tiy, Starbound is more science where Terraria is more magic, and not anywhere near being completed versus Terraria's update-death, where it is close enough to completion where updates most likely won't introduce anything new, Starbound will probably look foreign when compared to the finished product.

These are the reasons I like Starbound. :)

I'm sure a lot of people will agree with me here: Undertale. It's a pretty widely loved game. Then again, it's also a pretty widely hated game, because so many people love it. But anyway, opinions are opinions. And here's mine, spoiler free!

Undertale is a game where, unlike normal dungeon-crawling RPG-like games, you don't have to kill everything you come across to get stronger. In fact, it brings the idea that people generally act and think differently when they're actually given the option to spare instead of fight. Now, that doesn't mean you have to be nice to the people you meet. You can fight them, as well as insult them at times. It's a game about you, and what choices you choose. There is no 'wrong' ending, it's all about you, and what you choose to do in these situations.

And the characters - oh my gosh, I have never seen such colorful, three dimensional characters (Not speaking literally, of course :P ). They each have their own, very distinctive personality. So much so, that you can usually tell what character you're listening to just by reading some dialogue. They're very quirky, and react differently to situations. It shows the world that there's a lot more personality out there. Even the side characters are just beaming with personality. And the random encounters you come across have their quirks as well. Heck, you can literally talk to a ROCK with more personality than you usually see. Throughout the entire game, there is not one person acting 'out of character'.

The plot seems pretty standard at first, but as time goes on and you piece together more and more of what happened, you start to feel sympathetic. It's a story that will make you shiver, laugh, cry, laugh some more, and warm your heart. It has its ways of manipulating your emotions, doing things that normal games wouldn't. Reaching out and making characters you can relate to, and bringing their stories together in harmony - with you in the center.

Over all, it's a wonderful game. The graphics aren't realistic, but they certainly have a great charm to it. I was always attracted to retro-style game graphics. The gameplay is fairly standard, the battles have some interesting mechanics. Every once in a while, it can break the fourth wall. The attention and love this game has accumulated isn't for the game mechanics though. It's the game's story, characters, and premise.

So that's why I personally love Undertale. Good ideas, good characters, good story, it's all good. Sure, there are a few game mechanic nitpicks here and there, but I won't bother with those.

Thanks for reading!

Inside has actually recently topped undertale as my favourite alongside skyrim which I started playing sinfully recently, to the moon is also really good.

I just can't decide between Battlefield Bad Company 2 or S.T.A.L.K.E.R games, ah, know what? I'll go with STALKER.

And also, not that i'm judging you or anything @Daisie , but most of your 'points' about Undertale can be found in Fallout/Elder Scrolls...

MrSquid123 said:
Well elder scrolls and fallout are pretty great
Yeah, but I have this extreme problem on my NV game: I can't decide between continuing as the "Good karma NCR diplomat" or join the Legion since I heard about their "caches" full of items that keep respawning.

[QUOTE="An Unknown Person]Yeah, but I have this extreme problem on my NV game: I can't decide between continuing as the "Good karma NCR diplomat" or join the Legion since I heard about their "caches" full of items that keep respawning.

[/QUOTE]
That's a tough one

MrSquid123 said:
That's a tough one
And my second tough choice is that I can't really side up with anyone, because they hate X (I have Idolized reputation on: Goodsprings, Great Khans and Boomers, Liked by: NCR, BoS, The Strip, Freeside, Followers of Apocalypse, Neutral with the Legion and Shunned by the Powder Gangers.

I guess I will side with Yes Man after all.

@Daisie[/URL] , but most of your 'points' about Undertale can be found in Fallout/Elder Scrolls...
Fallout and Elder scrolls just have a style that don't appeal to me, personally. A lot of heavy topics that I just don't find pleasant to think about. I'm sure that the characters can be colorful, and the game mechanics are wonderful. It just never caught my eye as something I would enjoy. Undertale, however, did.

Daisie said:
Fallout and Elder scrolls just have a style that don't appeal to me, personally. A lot of heavy topics that I just don't find pleasant to think about. I'm sure that the characters can be colorful, and the game mechanics are wonderful. It just never caught my eye as something I would enjoy. Undertale, however, did.
Really? There aren't all that many heavy topics. But I totally get not liking them but liking undertale, they're very different beasts

MrSquid123 said:
Really? There aren't all that many heavy topics. But I totally get not liking them but liking undertale, they're very different beasts
Well, I'm mostly talking about Fallout on that note. Your home being destroyed so suddenly, and having to hide underground is a pretty heavy topic, I'd say. And everyone was talking about Skyrim so much that it actually kinda turned me away.

Plus, I'd get so lost in Skyrim. I have literally the worst sense of direction, lol. Even with a map and a compass.

Oh boy, a favourite game thread! Time to aggressively advertise Ghost Trick to the world again!

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective is a puzzle game with visual novel elements directed by Takumi Shu, so if you're into Ace Attorney, this is definitely your thing. You are a ghost with the ability to possess and manipulate objects, and when possessing someone else's corpse, to rewind time to 4 minutes before their death in order to save their life. You have to use these abilities to recover your lost memories and figure out your identity before you disappear at dawn. And that's... literally all I can say about the plot without spoiling anything, because it is a big ball of plot twists, every single one well-written and impeccably woven into the story. Unique and interesting puzzles! A cast of quirky and genuinely likeable characters, including a fictional version of Takumi's actual real-life dog! Crisp, colourful 3D animation! An obvious sequel hook that was never followed through on and that haunts me to this day :'D

Seriously, please play Ghost Trick, you won't regret it. It was originally a DS game, but I think they released an iOS port a while ago? Or just get it on an emulator or something. I need people I can talk about this game to.

Other than Ghost Trick... like people have said, Undertale was incredible, but I went into it spoiled for pretty much everything so it didn't have the emotional impact on me that it should have. Tales of the Abyss also really helped me out when I was in a bad place, but admittedly I've only actually watched a playthrough on YouTube; I don't think it's the kind of game I'd actually enjoy playing.

Probably the original three pokemon games. I played those to death. In any case, I enjoy a wide variety of games so it's a very close call between a whole bunch of em.

No game has captured my heart like Kingdom Hearts 2. It's a really weird favorite game ever, I feel; I don't see anyone really claiming a Kingdom Hearts game as their favorite or even one of their favorites. In fact, I've seen lots of people hate on it because most of the games take place in Disney worlds. It's also an insanely corny game!

Most importantly, the game part of the game is excellent! The QTEs aren't contrived and actually make for really cool interesting action sequences. The combat system actually has a lot of variety if you're willing to explore all the various abilities Sora (the main character) can learn, but at the same time the game doesn't punish you for button mashing if that's what you wanna do (although magic is generally a lot more effective). The bosses are epic and almost every one is unique, from a huge quadrupedal savanna-sized behemoth to a castle that transforms into a huge dragon. It also managed to incorporate a fun area with literally no actual combat (The Little Mermaid's world).

The music is also insanely amazing, courtesy of the extremely talented Nobuo Uematsu. This is easily my favorite video game soundtrack. Each and every song is distinct and recognizable while also maintaining a consistent Kingdom Hearts feel to it while also fitting perfectly with the worlds the songs are for. The songs are also very appropriate for whatever they're for; combat music is energetic and frenetic, while the music when you're simply walking around is lighthearted and soothing. When you're going head to head with the boss, the music is epic, conveying a sense of urgency.

As for the characters, I can admit they're not the best, but I love 'em anyway. The various Disney and Final Fantasy characters are very accurate to the source material, while the original characters all have at least a little bit of depth to them, Riku being the most notable example. The story is one of friendship and its power, as well as the power of will and perseverence. It's also, of course, the classic struggle of good versus evil, except that the evil seemingly has a decent enough, if selfish, reason to be at least a bit sympathetic (if you're looking at this as a standalone story, at least). This also connects to the wider and very, very complicated story of the Kingdom Hearts series, serving as a very integral piece of the puzzle. It's also very meaty as far as lore goes, going more in-depth about the nature of darkness and the Heartless, as well as introducing a new and very important concept in the form of Nobodies.

The only game I could see surpassing my love for this game is Kingdom Hearts III.

Hmmmm... A few pop into mind immediately, and they are Kingdom Hearts/Kingdom Hearts 2, Harvest Moon Friends of Mineral Town, Rune Factory 4 aaaaaaand... Bravely Default/Second. I don't think I could pick one >~< I've got an even bigger list too! But I've narrowed it down to these :3

Very disappointing to see no Harvest Moon love this far :c Then again, it's not the most showy or exciting games out there... So I'm not too surprised

Have no fear! A fellow Harvest moon fan is here~! I also play elder scrolls games (oblivion was my first game I played in that series), pokemon (almost everyone I've played), Final fantasy (1&2 I've played on GBA and my personal fav is ff14), and any game that catches my interest. Emulators are awesome.

Oh god, this is a hard one...

On one hand, The Witcher (Wild Hunt particularly, of course.) is just such a beautiful and dark game, and on the other, I grew attached to so many of the people you meet along the way in Dragon Age: Inquisition. (And Origins... Wasn't a huge fan of the 2nd one.)

The Witcher's last DLC was beautifully crafted visually.

Inquisition's last DLC had me damn near crying time and time again and has a lot of really nerve-racking choices that nicely closes up the story. (Something that really just should have been included in the main game, but oh well.)

The Witcher's gameplay is phenomenal.... but again, Inquisition's story is just so easy to be absorbed into, for me at least, especially with the last Trespasser ending. Seriously, best story I've ever experienced through a game, and I follow Bioware like a loyal lapdog.

I went through Trespasser twice on my two most different characters. To show just how much the last DLC really affects the overall story... On one gameplay, I went though fine. On the other, I had to kill off four people from my team as they betrayed me one by one!

Hell, you spend the whole game building up your army, the Inquisition, and at the very end of Trespasser you are left with one simple, yet extremely hard choice; The war is won, as far as the general public is concerned, and yet your soldiers aren't going home. Do you disband your military, and go after the newly revealed threat solo, or do you let the world see you as a tyrant as you refuse to leave their lands and let your soldiers go home? You can't tell them about the danger, either because they just won't believe you or you'll throw them into a panic when that was carefully avoided the entire game.

Seriously though, any question left unanswered in the original game is answered there, and that is what makes it so beautiful. Stuff like that shows it was a long-term plan in process.

This isn't to say the Witcher's story was bad (Absolutely wasn't. I love all the Nordic influences in the third one particularly.) or that Inquisition's gameplay was bad, I just think Witcher nailed the gameplay aspect, and Inquisition really nailed the story aspect.

I honestly don't think I can decide. I'm stuck between gameplay and plot/story.

I don't play much video games, mainly cause I never have much money :D , but an all time favorite of mine will forever be Okami. The player is actually a wolf who needs to regain their divine powers to defeat demons! If i remember correctly it somewhat is based off a legend or something. I know for sure the names are legit, but the connection I am unsure.

LifeNovel said:
I don't play much video games, mainly cause I never have much money :D , but an all time favorite of mine will forever be Okami. The player is actually a wolf who needs to regain their divine powers to defeat demons! If i remember correctly it somewhat is based off a legend or something. I know for sure the names are legit, but the connection I am unsure.
Yeah budgets pretty annoying

Users who are viewing this thread

Back