Experiences Favorite Historical Periods to RP

Jean Otus

Would-Be Prince
I know there aren't many of us historical writers on this site, but I like to think that there are enough of us to have a discussion about what we like.

My favorite period is the late 19th century and early 20th century, mostly because the period saw a great amount of conflict and change, and the aesthetic is just fantastic.

As a person with preference towards some good old fashioned romanticized war; I prefer roleplaying in times of intense conflict, 15th Century Japan, 11th-13th century Europe, 17th century France.
Plots basically write themselves here
- Oh the drama~ Oh the facade of chivalry, OH the samurai honor~

Yukon gold rush baby! Throw a littlemagic or heist in for good measure. 1920s-40's is my next favorite in America. Regency is also good.

1812, good old Napoleonic times. War of the Roses, or the Pike and Shot era. Most folks write medieval and I always have to ask "And what does that mean to you?"

The Sengoku period, aka the Warring States period of Japan. It's commonly considered that the Ōnin War in 1467 was the starting point, and personally I consider that its end was the Siege of Osaka in 1615.

While Oda Nobunaga is probably the most famous individual from that period (with good reason), there were many other interesting events that happened outside of his lifespan (1532~1582) or while he wasn't the actual leader of his clan yet (his succession of his father in 1550, or the unification of his clan around 1555), too.

I'm particularly interested in approaching alternate histories though, or focusing on less known/powerful clans/characters, both in RP and in the Nobunaga's Ambition game series.

I'm a sucker for the Victorian and Edwardian eras (1840s - 1910) ! Bicycles, civil rights disputes, plagues and graverobbing, fancy hats, crazy slang, new inventions.... what's not to love?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back