Literature Favorite Book/Series

Archdemon

Some random dude on the Internet
So I want to know everyone's favorite book or series of books.

So far my favorite is Harry Potter, though a close second is the Warrior Cats books, mainly the original.

Warrior Cats! I was really invested in that series and loved watching the generations through the series. It holds a very special place in my heart!

Artemis Fowl and A Wrinkle in Time are also two good ones I loved and deserve an honorable mention.

You put me in a tough spot, my friend. My knee-jerk reaction is always Harry Potter, but I was able to stop reading that periodically... Where as I don't think I ever was able to put down any of the Inheritance books once I started reading (that's Eragon to the non-fans). I also feel that way about the Legend of Drizzt series. Honourable mention going to the Hunger Games books which are REALLY well-written, even if the plot gets a bit contrived sometimes.

You put me in a tough spot, my friend. My knee-jerk reaction is always Harry Potter, but I was able to stop reading that periodically... Where as I don't think I ever was able to put down any of the Inheritance books once I started reading (that's Eragon to the non-fans). I also feel that way about the Legend of Drizzt series. Honourable mention going to the Hunger Games books which are REALLY well-written, even if the plot gets a bit contrived sometimes.

Oh yeah, definitely have to give Hunger Games kubos! I got through the first book of Eragon and it was pretty good! I don't think I'd ever forget the name Saphria. Very beautiful!

Dmitry Glukhovsky's Metro series is great, i can't wait for Metro 2035 to release.

My favorite book is Battle Royal, it's like the hunger games except that it does practically everything better.

Dmitry Glukhovsky's Metro series is great, i can't wait for Metro 2035 to release.

Well now, one of the books I thought of when I saw this thread was Metro 2033. It is definitely up there for me, but I don't know if it's my fav.

Lately I've been enjoying the Stackpole Military History Series, including 1 informative book and 2 memoirs:

Winter War: The Soviet Attack on Finland 1939-1940

Goodbye, Transylvania: A Romanian Waffen SS Soldier in WWII

Twilight of the Gods: A Swedish Volunteer in the 11th SS Panzergrenadier Division "Nordland" on the Eastern Front

I agree with Warrior Cats, but there is so many series it hard to decide. I really like the Mortal Instruments or anything from the Shadow Hunter Realm. I have read the entire Harry Potters series, but who hasn't haha. There is just to many to decide from but my favorite has to be Mortal Instruments.

Harry potter and Warrior cats really are my favorites. It has so much potential that could be exploited and some of my favorite things to do is reading fanfics based on them.

Whyyyyyyyyy!!!!!
Don't make me chose!!!!!!!!
I can't chose! There are so many good books!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I have a favorite book AND a favorite series but my favorite book is not from my favorite series
  • Series: Harry Potter. This will never not be my favorite series. The diversity in character arcs and personalities is amazing, and Hermione gave me a lot of hope when I was a little girl alienated by her intelligence and her interests. She gave me hope that one day my peers would open their eyes and see me as a person, not just someone to be nice to in hopes that she'll do their homework. I also admire Rowling for making of herself what she did, taking a bad situation and turning it into an opportunity. That's the kind of strength I want to embody.
  • Book: The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. I am forever bitter than this isn't an AP book, because every single project of mine on it if it was. The Gothic feel, the commentary on human nature, the way all three main characters were based on a different aspect of Wilde himself, Dorian's beautiful downward spiral... A wonderful read that I will always, always come back to.

Ahhh, shit. I only have a few favorite books that I can only name off the top of my head, so:

Most recent one that I ended up liking was A Simple Plan by Scott Smith. The build-up and the characterization was so awesome, only for that kind of ending to play out. I guess there's also the Pit Dragon Chronicles by Jane Yolen, but I can't say it's a favorite series of mine considering the only book I read from it was Heart's Blood. Still a good take on dragon riders and dragon raising for a fantasy story.
Dogs of Winter by Bobbie Pyron also holds a special place in me. I picked it up at a book sale going on at our place because it had dogs and a winter background on it, but it ended up being a hell of a compelling tale about a street kid growing with a bunch of dogs.
On more historical or classic things, there's the Arthurian legends. Definitely the kind of legends I could pick up and read, over and over and over again. Most compelling tale for me was Sir Gawain and Lady Ragnell.
And then there's Epic by Conor Kostick. A VR game named Epic controls everything you have in real life- if you're not a good player, you don't get anything rich IRL. Very compelling and fun read especially if you play MMOs.

Murakami's novels have been catching my eye lately. South of the Border, West of the Sun is still uncontested out of the ones I've read. Then again, I haven't read a lot yet. (Those books are expensive where I'm from and I've only read three)

As for series...I admit I'm not exactly too keen on them. I haven't read stuff like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings for instance. (Though I loved the movies) I do like anthologies though. Nightmares and Dreamscapes by Stephen King is great and for a local entry, I'm also putting down Waking the Dead by Yvette Tan.

The Bartimaeus Triology by Jonathan Stroud is wonderful series! It's a children's series but it's written so well that even whilst re-reading it as an adult is is tolerable and still very entertaining! Most beloved childhood series seem lacking, flat and distinctly without the magic you once remembered them with when you re-read them, but it is not the case for TBT. The characters are witty, entertaining and developed realistically over the arc of the series. It's seriously the most underrated series out there. Go give it a go! :-)

While it's definitely a series tailored towards kids, the Cirque Du Freak series has a very special place in my heart and it'll always be my favorite.

Wide Open by Larry Bjornson has become a new favorite; I just finished it recently, and I loved it. I read it while on the treadmill at the gym in the mornings lol, and it actually was almost like an incentive to go to the gym, and then stay on the treadmill because I wanted to see what was going to happen! Originally I'd walk like mile on it but then by the end I was walking up to 3 miles just so I could read more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back