• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fangs and Claws [Closed]

Robb found the Great Hall to host many of the West now, Lenore present among them, but Adryan absent, no doubt to guard Jaime once more. He usually had the morning shift. Robb smiled in greeting to them, but didn't speak. He caught excerpts of conversations, which all seemed to be around adjusting schedules. That, and an argument about water dancing between Lenore, Sebaston, and Ciaran that he didn't understand, except that Lenore was apparently trying to get out of it, and Sebaston was already annoyed with her skipping out on something else.

He didn't pay it much mind except to think it had been too long since he had started drills with his own men. He had expected to return to Lannisport much sooner, but Lenore's act and the Dornish alliance caused him to delay, leaving him without a schedule and many restless. 'Soon.' When the princes left he could have the camps around Casterly start to pick up so they could prepare to leave in a few days. Then normality could resume.

And when Tywin finally attacked and lost, they could move to King's Landing at last.

He took for Caireann the soup from last night, and a muffin, just in case. For himself, he gathered a casserole of eggs and meat, potatoes and cheese. Something he could scarf down easily. He caught sight of Damian once he had gathered this and approached him. He was near the Western group, but looked up from his eavesdropping to give him a courteous acknowledgment. "Your Grace."

"Damian," he hoped it was him. If it wasn't the twin didn't protest the confusion. "I am looking to speak with my allies in a couple of turns. Would you relay that? Here, in the Great Hall." He could pick a council room but he hadn't gotten nearly familiar enough with Casterly.

"Of course, your grace."

"Thank you," and with that the King of the North would leave him be and return to the paths that would take him back to Caireann's room. He did not knock this time, but entered once the guard gave him space to do so, carefully balancing the meals he had gathered.

It was habitual for Mina to always be able to tell what was wrong with Caireann from merely looking at her. Sometimes, she knew it even before entering the room, but only when it was packed with tension and heat. Through the open window came in a fresh cold breeze that masked everything, at least until she turned around to head back towards the door.

"No prayer?" It was early, but she usually went before breakfast. She could have guessed that she had argued with Robb, but she doubted that was the case. "Is it the..." She gestured to her belly and shifted her gaze to look into her eyes.

"No, no..." Pains came and went, but they were no longer as frequent as they had been. Still, Caireann did not wish to tell her, if only because she might tell Robb. There was enough on his mind already and it was nothing. She knew it was nothing. Fever did not always mean a plague of some sort.

She had always been sick as a kid and, thankfully, she was alive even then.

The door opened once again and Robb stepped inside, holding a tray of food in his hands. Mina's eyes had darkened with suspicion and she turned towards him, offering to take the tray away and place it on her bedside. "The Lady is feeling unwell," she said almost proudly, as if she were a child telling on his friend.

'She makes me look so dramatic.' Caireann's lips pursed and she hid her eyes away. It was not the place nor the time to talk about such things, considering the night they had spent together. "I am just a bit tired, that is all," although if she had been tired, she would have slept a bit more.

Sometimes, she wished she were Lenore, as sullen as a sculpture, as emotionless as a rock. It was better to hide such things from people that cared. Robb was impulsive and often acted according to his emotions rather than his mind, like he had jumped to her first after Karstark had attacked her, instead of protecting Lord Vikary from being beaten to death. It was something that she suffered from as well, so she could not truly complain, but it bothered her nevertheless.

Mina was there when Robb returned, not expected but neither a surprise. She took the tray from him and spoke of Caireann, who immediately looked as a dejected child. Robb just sighed. "I guessed as much when she wanted soup," he said, hardly believing tired as a reason why she wouldn't want her beloved sweets. Soup was often the food of the ill. "I thank you for telling me, but Lady Reyne will be in to see her later. If it is serious, she will notice." The healing lessons may not occur if she was too ill.

There would be time in the future, he supposed, if the war lasted long enough.

"I am glad she has you to notice," Caireann continued to hide things from him. He knew not how to regain her trust and now believed that the shared moment before the Gods meant little for her overall health and happiness. She would stay here because she was ill, but he worried what further isolation may do to her after living a life like that. It would not make her more resilient. In the future, he wouldn't forget this though. He could not let such whims get the better. He thought travel to the Twins was a fluke, exhaustion and a long road making her ill, but it seemed now she was sensitive to the elements. The time praying and their play had only showed that to him.

Perhaps if she was so physically frail, it was good she was sheltered for her own health. Robb would have to be more mindful when they traveled far.

No matter, "Is there anything else, Mina?" He asked her, as he moved to take a place besides Caireann on the bed, and pass the soup to her so she would eat. He would wait to listen, but if not, the dismissal in his tone was not hidden. He would prefer to be alone with Caireann. A way to try and restore trust was to tell her more. Tell her he would be speaking of the Frey issue that day with the North.

Lenore made it clear the West would ignore Walder's demands.

Mina was did not appear happy when the dismissal in Robb's tone was heard, but nor did she oppose it. With her eyes still fixating Caireann, she moved towards the door and broke their contact only when she disappeared into the hallway. Caireann could see the disappointment in her eyes and understoof that none of them were pleased with her reticence.

"I..." What could she say? She did not wish to apologise, even if that might have been the right thing to do. Instead, she grabbed the bowl of soup and took a small sip from it, leaning in as Robb drew closer. "I did not think it was much," and frankly, it was not enough to disrupt her day. She was not feeling well, but other things were far more important.

Dorne was more important.

"You should see to the princes," she mumbled, looking at her soup as though she were talking to it instead. "There is nothing you should worry about," apart from the fact that she had been keeping secrets from him. She feared he would burst, angry with her lack on intention to tell him rather than the fact itself. "I am only a bit warmer than before."

The room felt colder then, and Caireann thought it was because of the tension between them. She took a few more sips from the vegetable soup, eyeing the muffin but not truly interested in it. If she ate something sweet, she might get sick, especially since she was pregnant. It made her senses twice as strong sometimes, and that was one of those moments.

When her eyes shifted back up to him, they were fearful, as if anticipating a storm. "There are things you would hide from me to protect me," she defended herself quietly, "to keep me from worrying." He was emotional and worried easily as well, at least when it came to her. She did not mind him being protective, but right then, she felt almost threatened by him.

Yet in spite of that all, she still did not regret their play.

There was dismissal in Caireann’s own tone as she spoke, as if she no longer wished to have breakfast with him now that he knew she had omitted details. Now she was hiding more, or so it felt, by wishing him away. Robb felt the clawing distance like a chill, and his thoughts to tell her that there would be more than Dorne to do that day froze in his throat. He had not spoken to her in any accusing fashion, and yet she remained reticent. He had not even asked of her ill, but with it pointed out and known, she cowered.

What was he to do?

It would be wrong to stress someone in her state, so he did not know how to confront her on it. She was pregnant, and she was ill, and he didn’t know if it was hormones, the recent stress, or now this illness that he felt between them.

Yet, he felt it, as Mina had heard his own dismissal.

There was no storm from him, only disappointment, in her, and in himself. He rose, taking his casserole of breakfast with him. He could linger then in the Great Hall if she denied his presence. “Yes, there are, and you still went looking for those things, and I apologized for it,” he had hidden Lenore’s choice, and he knew how that had been wrong. She had sought it out regardless, and his own words had done nothing to reinstill trust. Yet, he should try, “I will go join the others for breakfast. I’ll see the Dornish princes off, and then we will be discussing the Frey situation. I will see you again this evening.”

There. She knew the schedule as he understood it now, not that there was really anything to cover up. The Frey situation might upset her, for she was the reason that Robb got them into this mess, but she already knew of the letter and his stress. Now she would know that he would soon be dealing with that situation. “I hope that you will not worsen through the day, and I am sorry for…,” well, for what? “No, I’m not sorry,” he took it back.

He was not sorry for noticing. He was not sorry for mentioning it. He was not sorry for dismissing Mina, thinking he could have a moment with his wife. He was sorry he was not a mindful and protective husband right then, but he would be better that in the future. "I will be more mindful in the future," that was what he offered instead.

With that, the King would leave, to give his wife the privacy she desired, and to tend to the needs of the war which, well, weren’t even going to get started until the Dornish chose to leave, and no one came to alert him to that. No doubt Oberyn was sleeping in, as he seemed apt to do, and Robb’s own meeting with his men weren’t for another couple of hours.

Robb's disappointment was apparent and Caireann could already feel shivers down her spine. He felt as though she were dismissing him and her heart was only aching at the thought of him leaving her. No, she did not want him to go, for she had not hidden those truths from him for that sole purpose. It had been fear, worry... The fear that he would worry.

He rose, and it was then that she reacted, placing the half-empty bowl of soup down with trembling hands. "Please don't leave." She was dizzy only from the movement, but had managed to speak without a stutter. "I don't want you to leave. Please... I am sorry." Not for not having told him, but for being cold. For trying to do something that was only benefitting her, not him as well.

The matter of Dorne might not be able to wait, but neither was she. She would not bear spending her day alone again, knowing that he was not alright. The distance she had created between was entirely her fault. "I beg you, I am sorry," she murmured again, hoping that it would at least make him turn his head to look at her.

Caireann did not wish to cry, but her eyes were already stinging and her throat clenching. The moment reminded her of when she had called out to him from atop her dazed horse, struggling to ride through the heavy rain and thick fog. It was the same to her then, a similar burden atop her shoulders that did not allow her to rise. It was not the fever, but her heart slowly sinking as the colour disappeared from her cheeks. The heat was there, in her forehead, vibrating through her temples in the rhythm of her heart.

He had tried everything and she was merely disappointing him.

And she no longer wished to eat. Right then, she hoped that her situation would worsen only to keep him close to her, if he did care to do as much and his pride was not blinding him. She deserved it, for not having spoken at the right time. For teasing him with her play and failing to communicate. Lovemaking was not the only thing that a relationship should resume to.

Last edited:
Robb had only made it a few steps away before Caireann spoke, asking him not to leave. He glanced back at her, and though he felt her panic and her urgency, his head was swimming with the confusion of it all. She apologized and said she begged him to stay, at least realizing then that her actions were having their impact. His own inability to tell her what was wrong had impacted her as well, to cause her to seek the information.

Not even from him. He didn’t know who, she hadn’t revealed that, but it hadn’t been from him. And he had never known….

Her bowl was set aside, and she looked like she might cry. He set his own food aside, if only to free up his hands, on the nearest flat surface. He walked back to her, and kneeled before her, cupping her cheeks in both of his hands. “Caireann,” he spoke softly, “You are unwell and I do not want to stress you,” so he was not leaving then, she asked him not to, and if he did it would worry her and make her worse. He knew. “Yet we both, together, must work on communicating better. No more secrets, Caireann, no matter how little.”

He thought to turn it, perhaps see if she would understand, “If I knew I was falling ill, wouldn’t you want me to tell you?” If she could think of it that way, and if he could start to do the same as well, then perhaps they could learn how to communicate together more openly and honestly. “I have tried to tell you things I would want to know,” and that was part of why he hadn’t mentioned the exile thing, but why he had told her of the Frey letter, even when he hadn’t made it public knowledge to anyone else at that time.

In her situation, he would have wanted to know of the Frey. Yet, he wouldn’t have wanted to know of the exile, until something was truly decided of it. He had been mistaken in that situation, and should have told her, if only because he would at least want to know what worried her, as she must have wondered what worried so many. He wanted to know, so he was not left in the dark, imagining things that may be so much worse. "I should learn to tell you all things, as well. We carry the burdens, no matter. It is only that when we are in the dark, we do not know what we are carrying."

It seemed that her words had been enough to make him stop, yet when Robb turned to kneel before her and cupped her cheeks, it looked more like pity that comprehension. He feared that she would cry if he left more than her health, or at least that was what she understood. Perhaps she was wrong, but such things no longer mattered.

At least he was there.

Tears spilled eventually and Caireann shut her eyes to stop them from streaming down her cheeks. "I am sorry," she murmured, "I understand." They ought to communicate, knowing that she would have felt the same way, had she been in his place right then. "I promise you that I will try."

There were still some things that she wanted to hide from him in the future, like her sudden and short pregnancy pains or tears after having heard a passing rumour. Those did not impact him directly, not like her fever did. She might be getting ill and likely he was blaming himself for all of that. For having kept her in the rain and allowing her to roam freely through the storm.

Caireann took his hands and moved them down gently, pressing them against her belly. That was what he ought to protect, not her. She felt like he loved their future child more than her and understood it, even if right then, the feeling was not reciprocated.

"Why do we always end up suffering?" It was a question that had no answer. 'Because you love eachother. Because you love the thought of a future together.' She had embarked on a risky adventure from the very beginning and should have known moments such as those would happen. They had grown up in different environments, surrounded by different cultures, shielded for distinct reasons. Such misunderstandings should have been expected.

And frankly, she blamed herself entirely, not him. He had done his job to protect him, and she should have given him her trust in return.

Caireann said that she understood, and Robb truly hoped that she did. He loved her. He even loved her childish whims, and he hoped so much of her stayed into their future. Yet, changes would be made, whether they wanted them or not. When the war was over, when they had a child, they would have to adapt to an entirely different life, and Robb did not know all that it would entail.

No man was ever truly prepared to be a father. No woman, ever truly prepared to be a mother. Their own relationship needed to be strong in all fronts, so that they raised a child who was stable and strong. Confident. Capable of leading the North one day. In order for their children to be so strong, they needed to be in accord with much.

Robb would not have been as he was without his mother and father. He knew it was different for Caireann. She would have to adapt and learn that strength, without that background. Yet, she was willing…they were willing. They would both have to learn that it was better to inform each other of these things.

His hands were moved from her face, to her belly, where their future rested. Her question caused his lips to quirk up, “That is life, Caireann,” life was always suffering. “Old Nan used to say, that we need to suffer in order to know happiness. A life without suffering would be a life without happiness, as well. It would be as if there was no light. We’d never know we were in darkness, because we knew nothing else,” so it was with winter. If they had no fire, they would only know the cold. "That is why she said pregnancy hurts so," though he hoped that Caireann would not suffer much, the thought came to mind with the placement of his hand, "because something that will bring immense happiness is coming into the world," a child. A new life. That was why it took so long and caused so much problems.

It was worth it all, always.

Still, he lifted one hand up from her belly, back to her cheek, back to stroke his fingers over the flesh, and push back her hair. “And there will be much happiness for us, Caireann.” Never mind the suffering. They would overcome all of that in the end, and be happy, together. "Once this war is over, and we may live together in the North, with our family."

Caireann's mind was heavily clouded by fear and the fever, but she understood. At least, she tried to understand that she was not alone. That they would be happy in the future, as the Gods had promised them that through their act at the wedding. It was true that none of them could promise a future without suffering, but both of them could make it better by loving and simply being there. By doing what they had to do as a husband and wife.

His talk of Old Nan stole a simper from her lips. "Perhaps you could one day tell me everything that your Old Nan has said... She seems to be a wise woman." And from her name, she understood that she was old enough to have a better view on life than them. Tyrion had mentioned her a few times before, but he had never cared enough to expand his remembrance.

Gently, Robb moved one hand from her middle to her cheek and Caireann leaned in against it. She rested her head there, warmed up by both her flush and his own heat. Then, after lingering for a moment, she moved away to lie down on the bed, with her eyes fixated on him. Her own hand never left his own, keeping it on her cheek. "I love you."

That was all she could say. She could not promise anything for the future, but she could assure him of that.

A pair of steps drew closer to the door and Mina stepped back inside after a short knock. "Your Grace, the Princes are getting ready to leave." She could have sent anyone to pass the news, but Caireann knew she was merely doing this to make sure that she was alright. "Your Lady Mother suggested that you come to escort them to the gates."

It would be proper, but his Queen did not want it. Of course, she needed to come as well, but right then... "Need I accompany you?" It was a rhetorical question, but polite either way. He would likely say no because she was ill, or perhaps yes since she seemed to be better with him around.

“One day, you can meet Old Nan and ask her yourself,” Robb said to her statement, as he did hope that when they made it back to Winterfell, Old Nan would still be there. She was old, older than anyone Robb knew, but he was certain she would still be alive. She seemed like a relic that could not die. He knew that was silly, that one day she would, but not then. Not just yet. She had to have many more years left if people like Tywin could live as long as they did.

His hand held her weight, until she chose to lay down. It worried him more, pulling at his heart strings. He wanted her to sit, and to eat, lest she make her situation worse without food. ‘Lady Reyne will see her….’ He reminded himself. He could not linger there all day at her side, he did have his duties, but she could rest and recover.

She spoke of her love again, and before he could say anything, the steps distracted him, and he turned his head to see the messenger as they spoke of the princes. ‘Damn it.’ No more lingering moments then, no time for breakfast, either. Well, he could get a late breakfast, but he hated wasting the food. “Thank you, I will be there,” he promised Mina.

His attention turned then to Caireann, “No, you do not,” he said. She was unwell, and unfortunately not just heart-sick or worried. It had come to manifest as a true illness, and he did not want her to push her limits, “Rest,” he said, as he went to hastily put on the rest of his attire he would have earlier abandoned, to make himself look presentable for the princes and the meeting that he had afterwards with the North, of the Freys. “You will see them again.”

Sooner, rather than later. He didn’t know how much time it might take for the Dornish to muster their troops to join them, but he hoped it would not take long. Every day they waited, Tywin could choose to move at last from his seat at King’s Landing, and the more they waited, the more Robb was uncertain.

~***~

Fortunately, most of the West was still conversing and actually enjoying breakfast when the news came that the princes were leaving. They had expected to see them in the Great Hall, but that seemed not to be occurring. The interruption came as they were discussing times for drills to work around some of Lenore’s healing lessons, while Caireann was there.

“I don’t imagine she’ll be here longer than a week now,” Sebaston was saying then, as they rose from the table, “So we’ll just have Gerald cover some of the drills on horseback and I can handle archery.” He was good enough at it. Lenore liked to be a part of those, “It does bring to mind, perhaps, we should offer general healing classes. Just basic, field things. We may lose less men that way.”

“We’ll see if we can work something in with those interested. It should be more to the archer class,” not the vanguard, nor knights. Not at first, anyway. She didn’t need a knight dropping down to save a friend. He’d just get himself and his friend killed.

Gerald, Lenore, Sebaston, and Tybalt would go together to see the Dornish off, and Damian would end up joining them, continuing the conversation on the way and discussing what was and was not ‘basic’ medicine.

Mina left quickly after passing the news, visibly bothered by something else, but not before giving Caireann a sharp look. The handmaiden had always been protective of her, yet she had never known she would be so affected by her omitting the truth. As long as her life was not endangered by the sudden illness, there was, frankly, nothing any of them should have worried about.

Thankfully, Caireann was not needed to escort the Princes of Dorne to the gates, but a pang of guilt did hit her at the thought. Of course, she would have liked playing the Queen and doing so, but at the same time she was far too exhausted to even expand that thought, when everything that came to her mind was quickly replaced by the feeling of simultaneous heat and cold.

Robb rose and she reached to touch his hand one last time before he would get the chance to get dressed. "I will wait for you," she murmured in her pillow, eyes following his every movement. "If you have time in the evening... I don't think I will be praying tonight."

Not in the state that she was, and she doubted that he would allow her to do so. It was still cloudy outside and threatening to rain, even if the clouds were breaking above the sea. At least Lenore would find some time to spend with her that day; hopefully the sickness would not interfere with her her intentions to teach her the arts of medicine.

Caireann would allow him to leave then, visibly saddened but not sullen. She was looking forward to seeing him again, soon.

~***~

The weather had gotten better, but Doran did not care in the least. A litter had been prepared for him to use when traveling, this time he did not wish to ride away. It was too painful and too difficult for him to keep his back straight and stir at the same time, lest he fall off of his horse from the discomfort and ache.

Oberyn was following closely behind, his eyes still tinged with fatigue and lack of sleep. His night had been... interesting to say the least. He would have enjoyed breakfast, but his brother's sudden decision to leave had taken him by surprise. He had appeared hastened and bothered, so he could not have delayed their departure much longer. It was time to go home.

They were not required to wait too long in front of the stables until someone showed up to lead them away. Willas was the first, followed by Loras and Tyrion. The imp seemed the most lively of all, surprisingly enough. Perhaps he was simply happy to see the two blights leave at once.

"Relieved?" Oberyn asked with a smirk, leaning against his horse. Thankfully, it had been taken care of well. It was more eager to leave than himself.

"Drunk, perhaps," Tyrion shrugged. "I would not have expected to like Northern wine, although I do prefer my own better.... It's less queasy."

A sigh could be heard coming from Willas, who did not drink, but Loras simply shook his head. "You would enjoy our wine from the Reach even more. We have the finest fruit, we-"

"There they are," Willas interrupted his brother and gave a faint smile to the group approaching. They all seemed to be caught in a conversation with the center of attention being Lenore, by the sounds of it. Of course, always Lenore. "Do not worry, we have not been here for long," even if they had not asked a thing. He found it proper to reassure them.

Those of the Reach were out first, with Tyrion. Wine was being discussed from what little Lenore caught as they approached, before Willas recognized them. They were reassured that none had waited too long immediately, and Lenore gave a grateful nod. "We had thought to see you in the Great Hall first," Lenore noted. "I hope you have enough supplies for the way back?"

Cybelle answered with a nod, "I made sure to grab more than enough rations." She wasn't eager to leave, but she wanted to return to her crew. "I'll leave when I get back to Dorne - I am going to check on Meir," she wasn't asking permission. She worried over him.

Sebaston still gave an approving nod, "Thank you," he could not go himself. He hadn't heard much from him about negotiations with the Iron Bank, since he wrote of Dorne and their alliance. The numbers were favoring them, more and more. The Iron Bank would soon see reason to abandon Tywin. With their backing, Tywin would stand no chance. The only allies he could call on were the Vale, and Lysa was Catelyn's sister, or the Ironborn, and they were eerily silent.

The sound of another pair of boots reached them and Robb joined, his hair a frizzy mess, but otherwise he looked well enough. He gave a weak smile, tired, "Forgive me, Prince Oberyn, Prince Doran, I was not quite prepared for the day," he told them, "I hope your journey back to Dorne will be safe. We will all look forward to seeing you again, soon...and you as well, Lady Farman."

"Thank you," the young woman beamed, ready to be off even if she had no desire to leave. The sooner she was gone, the sooner she could see Meir, and then return.

"Is there anything you need before you set out?" Robb asked them. Cybelle shook her head, but would let the Princes speak for themselves.

Doran was not entirely happy with the crowd of people there to see them off, but he would not have expected anything else, truthfully. They all wanted their alliance to prosper, which meant they would have to at least seem polite to the fresh members. He would have liked their departure to be quieter, more subtle, yet he saw that his brother was rather happy to see Willas Tyrell then, and his eyes brightened even at the sight of Lenore Reyne.

Cybelle held a short conversation with Sebaston as Robb Stark approached, slightly dazed and riotous, as though he had just awakened from a deep slumber. "No need to apologise," the younger Prince said, "although I would have expected the Queen to join us as well." He would not call her otherwise, as long as she did not have claims over the Iron Throne. She was the leader of a land he did not belong to.

"She is with a child," Doran defended and saw Tyrion purse his lips in disbelief. Pregnancies were indeed not easy, but she had jumped and danced through the night of her wedding without an issue.

"Ah, yes," Oberyn nodded and canted his head. "We will see eachother again soon. I will be sure to bring you a proper gift from Dorne," even if the two horses would have otherwise been more than enough. It had been the wedding between a King and a Queen, after all. Something more valuable, for a special occasion. "We do not need anything but to leave at once," he smiled at his question then.

He was more than sure Doran would not disagree.

The horses were ready and so were their escorts. Oberyn bent quickly before the lords, his eyes resting on Lenore Reyne before he would straighten his back, a smirk playing on his lips. She was more beautiful than he would have imagined a ghost her age to be. Perhaps when that war was over, they could cement a different kind of alliance, something more lasting that would tie the West to the far South.

Then, Oberyn turned around to help his brother enter the litter. There was not much struggle that he had to endure to do that, as Doran was quick to go inside, likely ashamed by the thought of appearing weak in front of his newly made allies. He then mounted his own steed of a chocolate brown tint and gave one last nod to the party before them. "I will inform you of what is decided regarding Lady Myrcella," whether she wanted to stay or leave to be with her mother.

He was praying for the former, as everyone else, but he would not force her hand either way.

Nothing more was needed, which was a relief. No comments made of the Fern Valley, only Caireann, and Doran reminded them of her pregnancy. 'You ought to know how sudden symptoms can be.' Rumor had it, Oberyn had many children, after all. The infamous Sand Snakes. Lenore hoped she might meet a couple of them. Legends made them quite interesting. Pity she hadn't gotten to test the Viper, but the war had called her away. She would, next time.

"It is as Doran says...she is unwell this morning but nothing serious," Robb answered. "And You needn't bring more gifts," the horses were still a surprise.

Lenore took in the words and spoke to Robb, "I will see to her," make sure it was nothing.

"Thank you," he wouldn't have asked, knowing she already intended to see her, but he was glad to hear she would make sure his wife was not facing anything serious.

The leaving party pulled itself together, Oberyn offering a bow and a playful smirk that did cause Lenore to regret her morose mood and the need to leave again. Next time, she told herself. If she managed to restore herself and at least hold on to this much sanity, she might enjoy the company of the Dornish - Oberyn, the Sand Snakes, and the rest. Their humor had seemed in line with the West.

"Thank you," Lenore spoke on the matter of Myrcella, "Safe journeys." To all, before they would see them all leave to return to their home, and bring back their army. 'We will win...there is no need to stoop to Tywin's level with scare tactics. We will win.' It was getting easier to believe it.

It did not make the future better but it brightened the present.

Sebaston clapped a hand on Lenore's back, "Come, there's still drills before you go off to treat Caireann."

"But-,"

"If she needs a medic immediately, you would not be so calm, Lord Stark." Lord Farman noted. Robb frowned, though he could not disagree.

They would begin to split and disperse then, with Robb heading to prepare his notes and gather his thoughts for the upcoming discussion with his people of Lord Frey. By the time it did, he thought he had it narrowed down, at least somewhat. He knew he would have to give someone of his own family. Bran wouldn't suffice, nor Arya - one cripple, the other lost. That left Sansa and Rickon, though Rickon was too young now. If Rickon was decided, no doubt they had to provide one for now, as well.

Edmure, Roose, Ramsay, Dacey, Smalljon - all were options, old enough and with the North or family. He didn't know how...difficult they might be to persuade, though. He would soon find out as he returned to the Great Hall.

News had traveled. Maege had been informed of Walder Frey's intent for a payback after the vow had been broken by Robb and likely, he was not going to accept anything. The She-Bear was prepared for anything, moreso that the subject had been delayed for so long. Had the incident with Fern Valley not taken place, they would have gotten to the point much faster.

The two Princes of Dorne had left quickly that morning and Lady Mormont had not been notified in time. She had spent it training her own men for the upcoming battles with Lord Glover, slightly touched by languor but otherwise perfectly functional. They were all rusty, yet there was nothing too difficult that could not be fixed by warming up with a quick spar.

A bath had been prepared for after her training, and although cold, it was a pleasant reminder of home. It had been short, but quite unsatisfying after so much time spent outside, in the wrath of the elements. Thankfully, that day was better than the previous, lighter but still as cold as Winter.

It was slowly approaching, after all, as the Starks always liked to say.

After the bath, she found her way to Caireann's room with the thought to make sure that she had eaten in mind. She was not a slender girl, but she was frail in many ways. Often when she skipped breakfast and all the pancakes on display, it was not a particularly good sign. She and Glover had skipped it as well, however they were both looking forward to joining the others for lunch after the council.

There was a quick knock on the door after the guard moved away, and Maege stepped inside with a smile on her lips. It faltered when she saw Caireann in bed with her head resting in her handmaiden's lap. With her face kissed by pallor, no wonder she had fallen ill or sick again. It would not have been surprising after so many days of rain and cold weather, either way, even if thankfully no plague was currently troubling the camp or the castle.

"Is she asleep?" the woman asked, to which Mina nodded briefly.

"Fever, m'Lady," she whispered in return. "It is worse... I would not have imagined she was this sensitive. You should stay there until Lady Reyne sees her."

The woman pursed her lips, but she did not protest it. Perhaps she would have time to see her later. She was, however, surprised that Ser Jaime had not come to check on her, yet she could not blame him. They had done a good job at keeping her ailment a secret, considering how quickly news and rumours traveled through the castle, from one ear to the other.

She closed the door behind herself as slowly as she could and would linger around the halls until her hair was dry, so she and Galbart could join the King in the North for their council as soon as they were called upon.

The Great Hall held none, as Robb had alerted his guards he intended to use it for a meeting. He hoped Adryan would not end up upset with him, as he had not asked the Lord’s leave to use it in such a fashion, but he didn’t expect the meeting would take all that long. He found Damian there, apparently having nothing better to do but wait for Robb in the Great Hall. He was early, of course.

“So, this is all about Lord Frey and the marriage, right?” Damian asked.

“Yes. I understand if you cannot speak for Lord Bolton this matter.”

“I wouldn’t dream of speaking for him in this matter,” and he was hoping Robb wasn’t fool enough to try and make any decisions for Roose while the Lord wasn’t there. “I am sure my Lord will be relieved to know that he isn’t on the chopping block of being wed to one of those Frey women by virtue of his absence.” He let his tone say it all, the play there, “And others as well,” all for the virtue of being in Lannisport, or Riverrun, rather than there.

Robb didn’t address that. Admittedly, he wouldn’t dream of arranging it with Roose if the lord wasn’t there. Ramsay, however, was a consideration. He was a bastard, after all, not yet legitimized by Roose, if he ever would be. He was Roose’s only heir, though the loss of Domeric was still too recent, Robb knew. Only a year or so ago. Roose might not even be considering marriage at that point for himself, either. He did not know how the man grieved, if the man grieved.

“We have options to go over, and if Lord Bolton is one, I will speak with him of the matter when I return to Lannisport,” hopefully they would leave him out of it, though.

‘Roose better not agree to this kind of nonsense.’ Although he wondered at this point. Roose and Walder did talk, he knew, but Damian had no updates on Tywin. He had a feeling that plan was about to fall through. They would support Robb to the end. Right now, it definitely seemed the wiser choice with Dorne joining them, and all their victories, even the hastily organized one against Tyrek and Moryn. Besides, it wasn’t so bad…sure, it was being led by women, but Lenore was a monster.

Roose should like that.

~***~

Lenore hated water dancing with every fiber of her being, even if Sebaston insisted she was getting better at it. It didn’t feel like she was getting better at it. She felt the sting of the sharp blows. Blunted blades, sure, but Sebaston knew how to make them sting. Even so, she was able to get out of the drills after a bit. Posturing and practicing the moves was getting easier, admittedly. It was like a dance. The problem was actually putting the steps she learned into the dance.

She didn’t know it so well yet. The melody eluded her.

She did not forget that Caireann was ill when she returned to her room to change out of her armor and return to a dress. The green hue was soft, and she didn’t grab much in the way of actual things to practice with. She grabbed items for a cold. If it turned out Caireann was not so bad, she could always return for such things, but she had a feeling it would not get so far.

She exited her room with the small wooden box under an arm and went to go to Caireann’s room, nodding calmly to the guard, and knocking on the door when he stepped aside. Unlike the others, she wouldn’t open it without permission from within.

They thought they had reached the Great Hall in time for the council, but as soon as they stepped through the doors and saw Damian, they were more than sure they had arrived late once again. Maege started fussing as she dragged Glover through the chairs and towards the table prepared for them. There was nobody else there, so it only soothed her worries for a bit.

"Are we late, Your Grace?" the woman asked then, taking a seat next to Galbart. "I see that nobody else has arrived yet..."

"Were you really not expecting to see Damian?" Glover huffed. "He is everywhere. No offense, boy, but it's the truth." Not even Maege could deny it, although she had other reasons to believe that. Given Bolton was still in Lannisport, he was his eyes and ears, perpetually there to gather information and suck like a leech from every person or council he could get into.

The She-Bear caught the shift of attitude in the man, but she did not dare to comment right then. They both shared a similar opinion on the true intentions of Damian and Bolton. They were hostile, as kind and neutral as they might seem. She still did not understand how Robb could overlook such things.

Regardless, they would wait until everyone came without making too much noise. Eventually, Catelyn made her way in as well, as silent as any other, all of them interested in hearing what they had to say, although the Stark woman was particularly eager to hear Robb's decision on the matter at hand.

~***~

Caireann did not hear Lenore's steps, nor the guard moving away from the door to let her in, but she heard it open and it was then that she opened her eyes. A strange, cold sensation was tickling her head and she realised that Mina had braided all of her hair back, leaving only those baby hairs that had remained stuck on her forehead and temples.

"Lady Reyne," the girl murmured with a smile and sat up. Her head hurt, but she needed to look as well as she could. The box in her hand made her think she was not there to teach her, so likely she had already been informed of her sudden sickness.

On the other hand, it was not too difficult to tell.

She had still not finished her soup, so she felt a bit hungry. From the tray that Robb had left for her, she grabbed the muffin and munched on it slowly, as if to prove Lenore that she could do that. "Are you here for the lessons? We can start now, if Mina..."

If Mina left, yet she was still sitting next to her, propped like a heavy tree trunk. She scrutinized Lenore for a brief moment before finally getting up on her feet. "I will leave if it is needed," she said then. "Lady Stark was looking forward to learning from you earlier this morning. I bet she would not want to miss it."

Damian did not take any offense, and he even smiled at Glover as he started to suggest. “No offense taken, my lord. I am glad that I seem to be omniscient,” it was, after all, part of the goals here. He’d heard from his brother that they were all mistaking him for one, Damian, and some were doubting the other even existed. Lenore at least knew, having met them both at once, but otherwise they frequently tried not to be in the same place at the same time. They covered more ground that way.

“You’re not late,” Robb reassured them both. It was called so hastily that morning he wouldn’t really blame anyone if they showed up late, though it looked like that was to fall to his mother that morning. She was the last to arrive.

They all must have woken up much later than him, considering none had been to see Oberyn and Doran off.

“Lord Frey wrote to me before we left Lannisport,” Robb said when they were all there, “I did not wish to speak of it until after the wedding,” until after there was no chance of breaking his marriage to Caireann, “but the Lord is demanding another marriage,” Robb sighed, “He demanded one of the West as well, but Lenore has already firmly declined and sent a letter saying as much.” There would be no persuading her. “He still seeks one from the North, and one from my own family.”

He looked to Catelyn, measuring her reaction. She had tried to get him into a marriage before to Lord Frey’s daughters. She would understand any need to arrange it to one of their own house, though now even she might be more against it. “I would like to discuss either sending someone to marriage, or risk Lord Frey joining the war…against us.” And he was closer to the North than all of them. He was the gate to the North in so many ways with his castle.

~***~

Lady Reyne entered when allowed, and stepped into the room to see Caireann with all her hair braided, and her skin too pale. It was obvious there would be no lessons that day, even as the young woman reached for a muffin and tried to eat. It was easy to see that she was unwell, even from here. “Mm. The first lesson is self-care. If you cannot take care of yourself, you cannot take care of others.” A lesson that Caireann reminded her of yesterday.

Of course, that wasn’t really a lesson, and Caireann knew that.

She glanced to the other woman as she rose, "I do not mind if you stay or leave," she would not force it. It was not as if she was doing anything scandalous nor did she anticipate revealing anything. If Caireann wanted her gone, though, that was another matter.

Lenore did move closer to the bed and she set the box down upon the end table, before she stepped to Caireann to place the back of her hand to the girl's forehead. Fever. "What have you been doing? Eating?" Lenore knew there was no plague going around, yet. It could always start with one, though. This could be a start, or it could be due to pregnancy, food...so many things.

People were frail.

It was strange to see such a small number of people gathered for the council, yet Catelyn knew that it was only the North which Walder would demand payment from. In what form, it was yet to be found out, although it was not too difficult to guess at that point. Like everyone else, the man desired power, and the only way he could gain it then was through marriage.

She took a seat next to Maege Mormont and, eventually, Robb spoke. It seemed that his statements were directed to her and they stung as much as they might have stung him. She had seen Sansa get closer to Willas Tyrell and through such an union, they could easily assure their future through the unforgiving Winter, as their crops were likely to be frozen and destroyed completely.

They could not give him Arya either, as they still did not have her. An empty promise would no longer suffice for the Frey, no matter how honest and well intentioned it was. Since their oldest was now married to a Lannister, the only two left eligible for such agreement were Bran and Rickon, but they were still too young for a marriage still.

"He wants something immediate," Maege spoke, seeming to have read Catelyn's mind. "Likely even before the war comes to an end. Lady Sansa..."

"Not Sansa," the woman protested. She had seen Walder's boys and none of them was something that would keep the girl happy. "She has suffered enough. She deserves better," as much as that remark might hurt Robb. He deserved happiness as well, and only then did she truly understand his pain.

Galbart bit his lower lip and looked up to Maege. He was humble and discreet, but his question held no place for doubt. "How old is little Dacey?" They could all see the expression on Maege's face then as its colour was replaced by pallor. No, none of them would want to be tied to the Freys. Especially not through a direct heir.

"Not Dacey," she almost echoed Catelyn, although her voice faltered. "But Alysane..." Alysane was sixteen years old and as beautiful and strong as any other Mormont woman. Still, she was not the heir to Bear Island, so Walder still gained nothing. In her eyes, one could read terror. She understood how necessary it truly was. Plus, they were coming down South soon enough...

~***~

Caireann placed the muffin back down and lowered herself in bed. Lenore drew closer and spoke, clearly uninterested in holding a lesson right then, and the girl could not deny her. After all, she had told her to take care of herself the night before. It would not be prudent to ignore her own piece of advice, considering the similarities between their situations.

A gentle hand felt over her forehead for fever and Caireann shivered at the touch. It was much colder than her, as though she had dipped it into ice. "I prayed in the rain last night," she explained as Mina found her way around the bed to leave. "And I... I was with Robb. But I was never cold."

'He kept me warm... But that, I cannot tell you.'

She slowly placed her hand over Lenore's to keep it there for a moment. It was cooling her down and it felt much better, even if it quickly shifted to the temperature of her own skin. "How do you treat such a cold?" she asked then. A treatment could easily be turned into a lesson. One day, she would have learnt about such things anyway. She already had an idea when it came to elixirs and concoctions, but there was far more that she could learn. Much more that she could tell her.

None of them wanted to give any of their family to Walder Frey. The man was greedy and had no sense of family or love. He just married off his kids to all sides and hoped for the best, stayed out of conflicts because he usually had a stake in all sides. It was cunning, yes, but it was not endearing in the least. Robb was not happy that he had forced others into this mess, but there was no helping it now.

They were here.

He gave a nod to Maege as she surmised what it was that Walder Frey wanted. Something immediate. He wanted it sealed before the war ended, so he wouldn’t be left waiting again. Sansa was denied outright, and much as Robb knew he, perhaps, should give Sansa, it was not to his tastes either. He didn’t protest his mother’s words, and gave Maege a sorrowful look as she was brought into it. He had thought of Dacey, too, “I would see my brother Rickon engaged to one of his daughters or granddaughers as well,” Robb said then, “He is too young now, but if I offered Bran, it would be an insult, and Arya is not with us.”

Bran was a cripple. He had a feeling that Walder would not like that at all, even if Bran was next in line to rule. He had to make some sacrifice, though. He had gotten them into this, and he wanted Maege to know her family wouldn’t be the only to endure this. “Yet I know that Rickon could not marry now, and he will want an immediate hold. If…if you would allow Lady Alysane to do so…I would find some way to repay your family.”

Perhaps lessen the taxes for a bit, or find some way to repay the favor in the coming winter. He wasn’t sure how then, but he wouldn’t forget the act if she could bring herself to arrange it. If not, he’d have to speak to Lord Umber and Lord Bolton back in Lannisport, but he’d prefer to resolve it here, as soon as possible.

~***~

“The elements don’t care who you are with, Caireann,” Lenore said, though her lips quirked in a slight smile. It was obvious why she wouldn’t have felt cold with him around, she didn’t need to say it. Still, it had been foolish and rash. “In your condition, you need to avoid such weather. You are not used to this sort of exposure to the elements in the first place, and with a child…,” she sighed, “You risk making yourself sick and causing a miscarriage.”

Perhaps this one was nothing, but if she continued this kind of reckless behavior, she could endanger the child’s life. The further along that went, she would risk endangering her own.

She was not able to pull her hand away immediately to prepare things, and she answered the question, “It depends. Are there other symptoms besides this fever, Caireann?” There were differences in colds and how to treat them. She did not hear Caireann coughing nor sniffling, so it may indeed just be fever and exhaustion. It was easy enough to treat, any woman of the smallfolk would know the ways.

Sometimes, the smallfolk women did know more – spent more time with their children and had to learn how to help them, while noble women relied on their maesters. Simple things like a cold were treated. They weren’t cured. It was more about keeping the body rested, hydrated, and comfortable, than anything else. The body would fight it on its own…and some help from certain things like willow, did help.

Willow was always good with fever and pains.

Maege had somehow known it would come to it. The Stark would never wish to marry their unripe children into such a family as the Freys and it was wholly understandable. They had all grown up surrounded by love instead of hatred. It was love that Robb had sought when choosing to marry Caireann, not his thirst for power. To them, it was far more important than any other reason, enough to break vows and kill for.

And Maege agreed.

She closed her eyes for a moment, brooding, before looking back up at him. "I am afraid he will not accept anyone but my oldest daughter. What could he gain from such an arrangement if not Bear Island?" It was only Dacey that would come to own it one day, after she married or after Maege's own death. Alysane was, perhaps, not enough for the Lord of the Twins.

"Seek a response," Catelyn said then, full of hope. "Offer Alysane first, and if it is not agreed to, offer Dacey." The latter, it was an offer he could not refuse. "If nothing else... My father is dead. Edmure might suffice for one of his daughters," for him, since he did not give two coins for their happiness. It was why she would not give Sansa away, with the price of gaining another enemy.

"I know that Dacey will not refuse," Maege corroborated. "She is strong and just. She has the heart of a bear and a mind fixated on her duties." It was why it would become so difficult to give her away. If she were there, she would have offered herself without a second thought. Her sisters had not yet developed such strengths, but they were nevertheless more honourable and brave than most men that the entire North held. As any other mother, she took great pride in them.

She saw the sorrow in Cat's eyes. Saw it in Robb's as well, but she did not dare to speak. If anything, she was only happy to see that they cared so much about eachother still, and that war had not become a priority in their lives. "I do not need to be repaid," she added, for there was truly no need. It was enough to see it all done. To see them all safe. One less threat to bear in their battle for victory.

~***~

The thought of losing the baby scared Caireann terribly, yet she had not realised it could endanger her at that moment and nor had Robb. Of course, it was likely just a cold like any other, but it made her feel terrible. Frightened, more than anything else. The feeling of weakness was still potent and she could only pray that it would not worsen through the day, even if it had not gotten better since she had woken up.

She let her hand go so she could prepare everything else with a quiet sigh leaving her lips. "It is... my head. It feels heavy on my shoulders." It hurt, but it was bearable. "I also feel the need to close my eyes and sleep... It scares me..." It was a feeling associated with death, so intense and controlling that she could not possibly fight it, as weakened as she felt.

And everything was so similar to what had happened at the Twins. She thought she would have died through that night, even as Robb had watched her fall asleep. He had left her side and she, dazed by the fever, had sought him out almost desperately. Clung to him, in that moment of fear. She had been searching for warmth as she was searching there for something cold to keep her awake, the brisk breeze of the late morning.

"Talk to me about ingredients," she whispered then, eyes almost sealing shut. "Tell me... about tea." Surely she knew, knowing how much tea she drank on a daily basis. It was what she used to dilute her poisons, but Caireann was not interested in that right then. She only wanted to learn how to treat a cold... Or simply to hear Lenore's voice ring in her ears.

~***~

Jaime wanted to see Caireann. Too much time had passed and he felt immensely guilty. Tyrion had offered to go there together in the evening, yet he did not wish to wait until then. There was something in the air that told him things were not as they should be. The same thing that had nudged him awake near the Twins, when she had almost fallen off of her horse.

He remembered it vividly. Remembered how frail she truly was and how little the war had changed her throughout those months. He was another person, while her sensibility and gentility had not changed one bit. It was both good and bad, as it meant that it was him who was digging a pit between them that was only tearing them apart, as he had with Lenore.

Everyone had gone to see the two Princes off after breakfast, which he had not witnessed himself, but enough time had passed for him to know they were nearing noon. Slowly, he got up from his bed with the intention to talk to whom was guarding him that day in hopes that he would not be denied a visit to his own daughter... niece.

He opened the door and spoke quietly, barely enough to be heard. "I want to see Caireann," hopefully she was not sleeping in that day, but it would have been impossible with all the noise. He wanted to see Lenore as well, make sure that she had slept, yet it was something that he could not do while followed by a guard. It would be strange to show interest in engaging in a conversation with his captor.

Last edited:
Walder may indeed wish for his children to inherit through marriages, and Mormont was a prime family for that. No male heirs. A woman was destined to inherit regardless. Dacey would make a fine wife for such a purpose, and Robb could imagine that Walder would want that. “We can offer Alysane first, and if he declines, and Lord Bolton and Lord Umber will not bend…,” or what they had to offer was not as appetizing, “then we may offer Dacey,” there was room for negotiation, though, as Catelyn said.

They could start by making offers, and haggling over it. It was wrong – using marriages in this way, but Robb also knew it was quite normal. Having just avoided it, though, he saw how…difficult it was. At least with people like Walder.

“Would you write to Edmure, mother? You may know how to put it to him,” and last Robb knew, he was still managing to keep things at least stable in the Riverlands, even if the Mountain had last been seen there. Robb hated the thought, but better the Riverlands deal with the Mountain than them.

“I can write to Lord Frey about these options, and we can await his response,” Robb said then, surprised it had been so easy to get any to accept. He thought Maege might protest it more, ever loud with her opinions, but she seemed to be allowing it. Perhaps it was because she had been so supportive of Robb’s relationship with Caireann, or perhaps she simply understood the problems they were all looking at should Frey decide to turn on them and not maintain at least a neutral position.

~***~

Fear was good. Lenore was glad to see it register on Caireann’s features, for it meant she realized what could have happened. Apparently, she had not thought of it before. Still too young, to truly realize what was going on. Still with thoughts of immortality in her head, no doubt. Lenore moved her hand only when allowed, and went then to the box, opening it, and then moving to find the kettle and start to actually prepare the water for the tea.

Of course it would be tea.

“It should not scare you,” though perhaps Lenore was biased. She liked sleep, when she could have it. Deep and dreamless, peaceful, “you will wake up again, you are not so bad,” she let a gentle tease enter her tone, “though you may wish not to after the tea. It is horribly bitter.” She went to the water basin with a cloth and dampened it in the water, before returning to Caireann and setting it over her forehead, holding it there.

“Willow. They’re beautiful trees, and they’re useful for treating pains and fevers that are mild, and need to be broken,” and this fever needed to be broken. Lenore did not think it was brought about by any true cold, no infection, just weakness that allowed it to seep in. Letting it run its course would not be beneficial for Caireann. “Unfortunately, they are bitter. Not to everyone’s tastes,” Caireann wouldn’t like it. Lenore didn’t even like it. “With the willow, there are a few additions, though not much for restorative, more for flavor. Rosehips, actually, are useful for it, and light enough that they do not impact the peppermint much.” That was more for flavor, than anything.

She had other varieties that leaned more heavily on citrus, but she did not think Caireann would care much for those flavors. The tart and bitter didn’t seem to be her tastes. Besides, that was more useful for fevers with accompanying cold symptoms.

~***~

Yularen and Adryan had switched out not long ago when the door opened. Yularen was already bored and anxious, an annoying mixture. He was startled when the door opened and looked to it, looked to Jaime, and was glad that he wanted to do something. Finally, he wanted to see Caireann.

Though, he had to strain in order to hear it.

“Of course,” Yularen had no issues with it at all, and pushed from the wall, “We can go see her whenever you like.” If he was ready then, Yularen would take him down the halls to where Caireann was, or give him time if he wanted to pull himself together some more before they headed out to go and see her.

He resisted making any comment on it – he didn’t want to tease Jaime for taking so long when that might make him change his mind completely.

Robb's words sounded empty to her then, as Maege tried to register what she had done. No, she did not want any of her daughters to marry into House Frey, but at the same time she knew how necessary it was to their future. They could not afford enemies, especially knowing how important the gate to the North was, for both parties. They would not be stuck there forever.

"I will," Catelyn interrupted her line of thought with a firm tone to prove that she was willing to at least try to help. "And Lady Mormont should write to her daughters as well. It would not be prudent to leave all of them in the shadows," and not ethical, either. After all, they were not cattle or political puppets.

Maege was crunching up a napkin in her hand when silence fell upon the Great Hall and she knew then that there were no other options to spare her. She was nervous and angry. She would have wanted Bolton to sacrifice himself for Walder, but she knew very well that he would not. He was too full of himself, too cold and obtrusive to even consider such thing.

His precious bastard boy... Never.

"Is that all, your Grace?" the woman spoke, voice still weakened and hesitant. "If so, I can already start writing the letters and your Lady Mother as well." Things had been partially settled. They only needed to await answers from all sides and pray that from the bunch of offers at least one of them would suffice.

~***~

As the water for the tea was boiling, Caireann allowed herself to close her eyes. Lenore did not cease talking as she placed a wet towel on her forehead to cool her down. "Willow," she reiterated. She was quite sure that it was willow tea she had drunk at The Twins, but she had not truly cared about the bitterness. She was far better now than then, but not wholly functional. With a little bit of luck, the tea would do its job before her fever intensified.

She heard a few steps down the hallway and, for a moment, figured it was likely Sansa, but a knock on her door forced her to quickly open her eyes again. Jaime came inside, shadowed by a chocolate haired guard near him, and he stopped right at the threshold.

"Caireann?" He looked dumbfounded with the position in which she was sitting and Lenore's presence. His eyes fixated the woman for a moment before they moved to the younger girl, as if asking for an explanation to what had been happening that morning.

"I am a bit sick," she murmured and looked up at Lenore. She was, of course, happy to see her uncle, but could not truly voice her excitement right then. "It has been a while since you have come... I am sorry, I've forgotten 's well." She was slurring again and even she knew it was not a good sign.

'No, nothing can happen. Lenore is with me.'

Robb would not wonder too much over his luck. They had agreed to help, even if the mistake was his. He had names to send to Walder Frey to bring him back into the fold, so he wouldn't act out of spite. Hopefully, it would be enough. "Thank you," he would not be able to say it enough. Not for what Maege sacrificed nor to Edmure if he was willing to consent and marry a Frey.

There was nothing else to discuss and the king shook his head. "No, that is all," he answered. "I will send word on to Lord Frey, and tell our men to begin preparations for departure." Everything was cleared up here. "We should return to Lannisport soon." Those that would. He assumed Damian was staying, but Glover may now join them at Lannisport.

"You may all go to tend to the letters," he dismissed, and Damian stretched, moved, not adding any comment except his own smile. He had to get a letter back to Roose on the matter, too. Let him know what was happening and what was decided. He briefly considered going back to Roose as well.

It would be nice to see if his cold front was breaking under his poorly planned rebellion yet.

Robb didn't halt him, and would wait for the others to leave before he would spread the message that they needed to start packing up.

~***~

"Mm," Lenore hummed the agreeable sound as Caireann spoke the name. Willow. Such a useful plant. Good for pains. No wonder the tree itself wept.

Yet the peace of the moment was disturbed by footfall, and two more. Yularen gave a sheepish wave from behind Jaime when Lenore looked back, and then she stepped away from Caireann. She moved one of Caireann's hands to the cloth so sge would hold it in place when she left her side. 'Damn it.' Today of all days. She wasn't exactly ready to consider what occurred the night before with Jaime. With Caireann, yes. Softness was ever extended to her, and received.

But Jaime...crying...no, she still didn't want to look too closely at that.

"She will be all right," Lenore told Jaime, "she has developed a bad habit of exposing herself to the elements." It was a touch playful rather than accusing. Western humor, ever a shield. "Rest and hydration will heal her." Nothing fancy. Just the slow care of the self, and she would be all right.

Lenore put her attention to the tea, the ingredients, measuring it out to steep. "So, willow?" Yularen asked, the disgust in his tone as he glanced over at her.

"Your favorite."

The Spoon shivered in revulsion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back