[Fandom/Dice Idea] Academiae Lucius

AshuraaHunter

A Roleplayer with Standards
Academiae Lucius (Latin for The Academy of Battle) is a roleplay idea I was curiously and quickly conceiving in my head as an enjoyable and fast-paced form of fighting-based roleplay. There are two sections of the roleplay - the first is the academy itself, which is a curriculum based around mathematics, sciences, and of course, battle methods, and especially that latter one. The second consists of an arena, which will boot up one roleplay time day has passed in the academic section, and this consists of text-based, fighting roleplay, with teams of three taking each other on simultaneously. This was inspired by many sources of roleplaying and media in general, such as the ASB you see on Smogon, the stat-fueled, suspense-filled rump kicking you'll find on SSB:LI, and the team action you may have discovered in the Marvel vs. Capcom series. There will be three divisions of the modern, sports centre-esque arena, so as multiple of these fights can take place at once. Spectators are allowed, but they must make their position as a crowdgoer clear to the others. (We don't want any, unneccessary injuries, now do we?) Up to four characters for each roleplayer can be accomodated at once, and there are always teachers for hire in the academy. Not to mention, these professors can partake in the battles, but to be a professor, your character needs to be at least 35 years old, which seemed like a balanced enough age to me, alotting all the human characters into consideration, and must show a high degree of understanding in their subject, as well as maturity. Each character has their own stats, as well, to aid them in the battle, and balancing them with the others.

Health is a stat that is simply set in stone as a value. It's no teensy number, either. Health in here ranges from 1250 to 4000. This is a very important number, as it determines how long you can survive before you need to retreat to the back lines of the arena to inject your veins with a first aid kit or consume a stim pill.

Offensiveness is identical to an Attack stat you'd find in many roleplay systems. It will determine how powerful your physical, melee attacks and thrown items will be. This stat, like most others, ranges from 1 to 20. The minimum will decrease base damage by 80%, and the maximum increases it by 50%.

Defensiveness is identical to a Defense stat you'd also find using in an RP systen. It determines how much physical, thrown item, and firearm damage sources will deal against tough old you. It also alters the effects of certain status ailments (more to come on those). It ranges from 1 to 20. The minimum will increase oncoming damage by 75%, and the maximum decreases it by 68%.

Mettle is to determine how experienced you are in the gun world, and it alters the damage of firearms and explosives respectively. Ranges from 1 to 10, the minimum decreasing firearm damage by a maximum of 50%, and the maximum increases it by 40%.

Specialization is to determine how much damage your out-sourced, magical/elemental attacks will deal. It ranges from 1 to 20. The minimum decreases magical damage by 80%, and the maximum increases it by 50%.

Guard is to determine how well you can take magical/elemental attacks from hostiles. It ranges from 1 to 20, and the minimum increases damage taken by 80%, and the maximum decreases it by 68%.

Intelligence is to determine the overall smartness of that character of yours. It affects problem-solving, the ability to receive taunts, and your ability to repair and build machines. It ranges from 1 to 20, and depending on your ranking, will either leave your ITL-involving roll alone, will subtract from it or add to it.

Charisma is your ability to befriend others in the academy, to aid in cooperation in battle, to convince and persuade others, and to pose others angering taunts that impairs one select stat, excluding Health. Ranging from 1 to 20, depending on your ranking, it will either leave your CHA-involving roll alone, will subtract from it or add to it.

Luck affects your chance of dealing critical hits in battle, using the critical dice. Critical hits deal 3x the base damage of a given attack to the target's Health, regardless of OFF or DEF, unless the DEF stat is low enough to allow extra damage to be received. Luck ranges from 1 to 20. The base rate of crits is 2% per attack. The minimum will decrease this rate to 0.1% and the maximum increases it to 15%.

Stamina affects the order of the roleplay posting, and also affects your character's ability to dodge. This ranges from 1 to 20, the minimum always ensures you are last to post in a single turn, and the maximum always ensures you are first in a post. In addition, depending on your ranking it will either leave your dodge roll alone, subtract from it, or add to it.

Momentum is another set in stone stat. It is almost an 'energy' stat, determining how much you can consecutively attack and move around in battle before requiring a Recharge. Energy ranges from 200 to 450, and each attack and movement consumes a certain amount of MMT. Recharging 100 points of MMT will cost 1 Action Point.

Each character can have five moves, and one passive ability, but more moves can be saved in a Sealed Attacks book, and they are obtained by earning MVP of your team from a group of voters each match you participate in. They can be switched out for one another, preparing you for each battle. An example of a passive ability is a double jump, or an increased critical chance when your character loses 5/6ths of their health. The following actions consume Momentum:

-Attacking
-Dodging
-Moving around excessively
-Repairing electronics or weapons

Every character can dodge, move to a certain point in the arena, climb objects, and jump to a higher surface. Each of these cost 1 Action Point, like attacking, and you have 2 Action Points each turn, unless stated otherwise.

There may be more info to come. I'd like some praise or criticism on this idea, and I will change it accordingly. Don't be a douchebag if you do not find yourself fond of anything, however, please be polite. I was also way too lazy to incorporate proper paragraphing in this post, so forgive me for that.

What's your core resolution mechanic?

Why are health and Momentum values so high?

Why are maximum stat values inconsistent?

Does age impact stats in some way?

Is it necessary to have both Momentum and Action Points?

Why is there a school for battles?

Have you developed a setting to contextualize the action?

Do magic and technology interact in any noticeable way?

Do players with multiple characters use them simultaneously as a team, or swap them in and out like Marvel vs. Capcom?

What's your reference material? It looks to have more in common with a proto-prototype for a JRPG than a traditional tabletop RPG - is this intentional? 

I strongly suspect you might be able to save yourself a lot of work by choosing and modifying an extant system, although if you're determined to develop this further I can recommend the same material for research purposes.

@Grey Thanks for your criticism. Do be aware that due to your comments, I might make a change in the future.

When I first typed this up, I was extremely drowsy, but I had motivation to get back on RPNation with another combat RP and this is my brain's child. Well, there are 83 others, but I prefer to deem those 'failed experiments'. Even though I am at such a young age, I am aiming to create something elating and enjoyable for those who can understand my formula.

The inconsistency is due to the relevance of each stat. Only a few characters will require Mettle as an exceptional stat for example, so it's easier to rank it between 1 to 10. As for stats like, say, Offensiveness, it is detrimental to many characters, so more variation in that stat allows for more versatile and competing characters. Well, at least by my mind. If I receive community feedback stating otherwise, I will rewrite it.

The large Health stat is to accommodate the damage of attacks. For example, if I were to rush up and punch someone in the gut, it might deal 85 damage on my luckiest roll, so taking into account 1250 health and the other characters' actions, that'd be about 238 points of damage. It's basically to lengthen the battles. Less damage and Health is a possibility. Momentum is high, since you'd constantly be consuming it in battle. Action Points allow you to take a set amount of actions in one turn, rather than just depleting your MMT and making everything unfair for other players.

The Academy itself is for character interaction, development, talk and laughs, even if some of this finds its way into combat and/or they already have their formal education. On a side note, it depends on the character, really, if age will impact your stats.

Setting? Hmm, I'd need some help/a formula for that. It requires a degree of thinking I'm not capable of at this time of night. I was thinking of magical attacks dealing more to technology's creations, but that's just some food for thought. One roleplayer cannot consist an entire team. It's six roleplayers, one character each, two teams. And no, not tagging in and out. In a text-based roleplay it just doesn't fit. MvC was just the first thing that came to mind...

A proto-prototype JRPG?!? Geez, I know I intended this, but I didn't know I would make it seem like a prototype.

@SpicyMioSenpai Thanks!

The criticism is much obliged,

Blood

I have some tutorials on world-building, magic, antagonists, and schools I can link, if that would help with your setting.

You mentioned that professors being 35 was somehow a balancing factor, so I imagined that must be due to an effect of age on stats. 

I can say a lot about your choices of statistic and their possible values, but it's reasonably late here too, so for now, I think Exalted 3rd Edition's combat system might be worth your while to investigate - it's designed for long, cinematic battles with few but dramatically significant directly harmful attacks.

I want to stress that based on your admitted young age and the result you want, you should really take the time and energy to read some existing commercial RPGs to learn from their mechanics. That can be hard to do on a budget, but a few are freely available like FATE Core, Risus, Eclipse Phase, and I'm sure there's a link to my own Crucible: Dark Age here somewhere. 

Just to add to Grey's list of existing rpgs there's Savage Worlds and Gurps, both of which are genre neutral and have free test drives available (savage worlds is only $10 too).

@Grey @zanarkand

So, to my understanding, you guys are desiring to have this RP heavily based off an existing American tabletop RPG, but should I still incorporate some mechanics of my own? I'm not sure how Gurps works, but to my understanding it created the SPECIAL system in Fallout, which is only seven stats as opposed to the 11/12 I had originally.

I'm not desiring you to do anything - I'm suggesting you look at existing tabletop RPGs because you can either decide either one of these systems will work for your RP without any modification (although there is no reason not to modify it if you see fit; FATE Core is designed to be modular and should evoke the feel you're aiming for), or that you can learn from the work of professionals to refine your own system.

Here are some other resources  for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back