• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Graded [Faeremeadow Town] A Budding Friendship

StarPrincessVal

Princess of the Stars
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
This is a Roleplay set in the Isekai Hell universe. It takes place in the town of Faeremeadow, a small hamlet that lies in the most southern reaches of Ryke, between its borders with The See and The Eastern Empire. It will follow Calliope, the Neko Beastfolk, and Euthalia, the Sylvari Fae, as they attempt to unravel the alchemical properties of many of The Sees natural flora. This is a closed RP. We are not taking on any more characters. Anyone who enjoys this RP and would like to learn more about the Isekai Hell universe is encouraged to follow the links. <3

f0c7af1d00c819c369cd8d1e115a0d60.jpg

Faeremeadow, Ryke
The sun sat high in the afternoon sky, still managing to shine down through the heavy cloud cover. Any minute, the overcast sky would break and the anticipated storm would begin. The wind carries a light chill, further betraying the bad weather to come. Waiting patiently for the storm was the small town of Faeremeadow, a farming village that specialized in the growing of corn and wheat, and the raising of cattle. It boasted a pleasant mixture of Human and Beastfolk inhabitants, with the occasional Fae stopping on their journey further into Ryke. A single large inn and tavern made up the commerce of the town, with it's tradesman relegated to little more than repairs and commissions. Life here was slow and simple and that was how the people liked things.

The town was surrounded by farm land and fields carved into the surrounding hillsides. Beyond them lay miles of forest to the south, that eventual warped and erupted as they blended into The See. To the east lied a range of mountains that made up the border of the Eastern Empire.

Calliope
short orange hair blue eyes cat ears tail fantasy adventure merchant plants olde s-1197308772.png
Mentions: Elvario Elvario
Languages: Common | <Beastial>
Calliope sat at the makeshift workstation she had set up on the moderately sized wooden table and stared out the window at the volatile clouds looming overhead. The weather had been wonderful the past two days, but the storm clouds rolled in early this morning while everyone was still asleep, and had lingered in the sky the entire day. While she wasn't particularly fond of stormy weather, spending most of her life traveling the roads between towns, it wasn't for her sake she dreaded the inevitable downpour. She was awaiting a shipment of plants from The See, along with the official representative that was to be delivering them. While it would be most unfortunate if the shipment were to be damaged by the storm, she was more worried about the messenger. She would feel awful if someone were inconvenienced or, teachings forbid, injured while performing a task for her. She had placed a low bid with the Merchant's Guild to research and study some of the local flora, and her offer had been accepted. She wouldn't be getting paid a large amount for the work and effort she would put in, but the information was what she was really after. She should gain enough knowledge to fill a large portion of her current journal from this.

The water in the flask being held above the burner begin to boil and Calliope reached over to pull it off the heat. She added a number of dried petals from a small pouch on her hip, and let them steep for a few moments before taking a drink. She loved rose tea. It always reminded her of home and helped calm her nerves. She placed a new flask in the holder and blew out the heat source. She paced nervously across the floor of the rented house in anticipation of her guest. She knew the messenger was to bring the findings back with them to the See, but wasn't sure how long it would take to get those results, so she had rented this house out for a few days. There were two beds but only one bedroom. Hopefully they would find that suitable. Calliope didn't know much about Fae, having not met many of them on her travels. She smiled and stifled a laugh as she thought about the last one she had met. While a bit brash, the halfling had grown on her. She hoped Victorique and Phoebe were doing alright.

She leaned back, tilting the chair on it's rear legs and balancing as she thumbed through her journal. She found the letter from the merchants guild and reread it to make sure she had everything in mind. Euthalia... The messengers name was strange. Pretty but strange. She didn't know enough about the Fae to derive anything further from their name. She hoped they would get along well, but figured at the very least, they could communicate professionally, what with them coming from the guild after all. She really hoped they wouldn't be disagreeable. She wasn't good at confrontation. Or just being assertive in general. She double checked the date and time frame, both correct. There wasn't a list of the subjects being sent, just that there would be a variety of different ones, and that this Euthalia could give any information Calliope might need about the plants. She took another sip of her tea, nervously playing with a rose petal with her teeth. She folded the letter, putting it back into the envelope and stowing it in her journal, before stretching her arms out wide. she stared back out the window at the ashen clouds above. Any minute now and they should be here.

Last edited:
Euthalia Apricot
Mentions: Calliope StarPrincessVal StarPrincessVal

After her success in Wmgroth, she was eager to set out on another mission. However, this next one was a little off-putting. She's been asked to deliver a lot of flora to a nearby alchemist to figure out more of their properties. That alone wasn't anything too special. However, the location was in Ryke. A country with more than a fair few humans walking around in it. She hated the thought. Still, she couldn't simply pass up on the job. Not when she was still needing to work hard on rebuilding her reputation. Apparently this had gone through some bid with the merchant's guild, by some woman named Calliope. The name sounded like it might be a human's, which would be the worst possible outcome. Having to work with one of them would be a struggle. Still. She'd just have to plough through it and stay professional.

Islwyn Meadhra
uSlu8FB.png

“Euthalia~”

“Hm? What?” Islwyn's voice shook her out of her thoughts.

“You were so deep in thought, it was like I was talking to a tree~” Islwyn joked.

Keone Nagendra
awldLOf.png

A facepalm hard enough to be audible could be heard coming from Keone. “Don't you ever get bored of that joke?”

“No, but if booze is on you when we reach Faeremeadow, I'll try not to use it again for the next week~”

“I don't care that much.”

Her companions bickering was able to distract Euthalia a little from worrying about having to run into any humans. Or worse, having to work with them.

Well, she didn't have to worry for long. Thunder in the distance... then it started. Rain poured down like it was nobody's business. Even Islwyn, who was trying to use [Control Environment F] to keep herself dry didn't escape the downpour.

Euthalia herself didn't mind as much, plants needed watering, so to say. She was more worried about Keone.

“It's... c-c-c-old.” The snake complained, as the rain rapidly decreased their reptilian body temperature.

“Here, I'll carry the plants for a bit. You just focus on moving on.” Euthalia said, taking Keone's box of plants over for a bit.

Luckily for them, they reached the village short after. Well, 'lucky' was relative, as they were already positively soaked by the time they were in the village. Well, hey, at least there weren't any humans around in this stormy weather. That was a plus-side!

It was still difficult to keep their mood up, as they were looking for the house they were supposed to deliver all this stuff too.

“It smells nice there...” Keone uttered, dragging herself along as she slithered through the mud and cold. She'd picked up on some sort of tea scent with her [Heightened Sense] Smell F and could sense how much warmer it was over there with [Thermoreception F].

Luckily for her and Euthalia, Islwyn spotted which house Keone had slithered off to. “Wait, I think this is our address!” She yelled out triumphantly, already knocking on the door whilst Euthalia was heading over, carrying the plants.

If the door would be opened, the one opening it would be faced with the sight of a snake that gotten a little too cooled down for comfort and who'd gotten herself completely muddied from slithering through it, a satyr who's legs had gotten equally muddied and who's ability to control the environment hadn't spared her from the worst of the storm and finally; a Sylvari who was... pretty fine, all things considered. Euthalia had slept through storms like this whilst rooting, so whilst she didn't particularly like all the mud splashing onto her skin and clothes (both being leaves, so where did one stop and the other start?).

Calliope
short orange hair blue eyes cat ears tail fantasy adventure merchant plants olde s-1918591322.png
The rain came down like a blanket, quickly soaking the street as the sky begin to dim from the heavier clouds passing overhead. "<Ah, dander.>" She muttered under her breath as she closed the shutters on the window and moved to light a fire in the fireplace. At least when the messenger did show up, they'd be able to dry themselves quickly. As she added the final log to the blaze and through open the flue, there was a knock at the door. That must be them. "<Just a moment! Coming!>" Wait, her guest was a Fae they probably wouldn't understand Beastial. "Sorry, mmhhmm! Coming, mmhhmm!" She hurried to the door to let her guest in, putting on her friendliest smile as she threw open the door. "Hello and welcome, mmhhmm. Please come in and dry yourself off, mmhhmm. It is a ple-... I... Uh... I... HHHMMM???" This was not a Fae... This was a snake... Calliope wasn't so good with snakes. She stared dumbfounded and shaking for a moment. Surely there was somekind of mistake? She was expecting a Fae, not a Beastfolk... Her anxiety was quickly overpowered by her hospitality, however, as she realized she standing right in the doorway, leaving her visitor out in the cold pouring rain. "AAaahh, S-sorry, mmhhmm. P-please come in and warm yourself by the fire, mmhhmm." She stepped aside so her guest could enter, and only then did she realize there were others as well. She held the door and allowed them to enter as she mentally readjusted herself to handle this situation. "I... Uh... Sorry... I mean... I-is one of you Euthalia Aprrricot, hhmm?"

Last edited:
Euthalia Apricot

She was glad that she'd asked Keone to teach her <Beastial>, for that was apparently what they were going to be speaking. Well, she thought that for just about five seconds, before another reply came in Common. As she spotted the girl that opened, she realised this could either be great or awful. There was the chance that she was the Calliope they were asked to deal with, which would be amazing. Beasts were a lot better to work with than Humans, after all. However, there was also a chance that this girl was the slave of said Calliope. If such were true... Euthalia wasn't sure if she'd be able to keep working this mission. It's why she was more nervous about this introduction than she should be. That said, she wasn't given a long time to ponder about such things.

“Oh, great!” Keone replied at the mention of a fire, before rapidly slithering past Calliope with a [Snake Dodge] and heading straight for the fireplace.

Snake Dodge - Special Movement [Slithering] F, Fast F – Character uses their long tail and speed to quickly launch themselves out of the way of danger. - Grade F – 0 Post Cooldown

“Wait, you'll...” Euthalia wasn't in time to stop it from happing. “drag mud everywhere...” She sighed, then turned to Calliope. “I apologise on behalf of my friend. She's not good with the cold.” She said, giving Calliope an apologetic bow.

Euthalia and Iswlyn had the decency to stay near the front-door, hoping to avoid dragging mud all through the room. “Yes, I'm Euthalia Apricot. A pleasure to meet you ma'am. Are you miss Calliope?” She asked, setting aside the plants for now as those boxes were getting heavy. She really, really hoped the answer would be 'yes' and not something along the lines of 'no, that's my mistress' right now.

Islwyn Meadhra
uSlu8FB.png

“Hey~ I'm Islwyn Meadhra. The one that just slithered in is Keone Nagrenda.” Islwyn added, upon noticing that Euthalia was a little distracted by something to properly introduce them. “We're her assistants~ Ah, by the way, you won't happen to have a towel or anything, would you dear? We'd rather not drag in more mud than our slithering friend already did~” She asked, giving Keone the side-eye.

Keone was a little too distracted finding the most comfortable way to get the entire length of her in front of the fire-place. “So warm.” She mumbled.

Calliope
short orange hair blue eyes cat ears tail fantasy adventure merchant plants olde s-3911722670 ...png
Calliope watched as the snake woman slithered past her and up to the fireplace, though her attention was suddenly pulled away by another member of the group. She turned to address the woman who was bowing to her, suddenly wondering if she herself was showing the proper level of respect. "I-it is quite alright, mmhhmm. There's a mop and bucket in the hall closet, it won't take me but a moment to clean up, mmhhmm." This woman was surely a Fae. She definitely wasn't human, and she appeared more plant than beast. And that fascinated Calliope. She had never seen anyone quite like her before, hadn't even considered that beings like her were a possibility. She had many questions, but figured there was a more appropriate time and place to ask them. The woman then affirmed that she was Euthalia. "Oh, wonderful, mmhhmm. It is good to meet you as well, mmhhmm. Yes, I am Calliope, mmhhmm. I am looking forward to working with you, mmhhmm."

As Islwyn introduced herself and Keone, Calliope jumped to attention. "Oh, towels, of course, mmhhmm. I think there are some in the closet, but, if not, I keep a few in my perrrsonal belongings you can use, mmhhmm." She ran to the closet in the hallway and returned with a few towels, giving one to each of them. "It is a pleasure to meet you all, mmhhmm. Please, I know it is small, but make your selves at home while you are here, mmhhmm. Can I get you anything, hhhmmm? Perrrhaps a cup of tea, hhhmmm?" She returned to the closet to retrieve the bucket and mop. She filled the bucket at a water pump in the corner and carefully went about cleaning the mud off the floor.

"I hope your trip was a pleasant one, mmhhmm. Current weather excluded of course, mmhhmm. I, admit, I have never been to The See before, mmhhmm. I am not sure what one should expect when traveling such a route, mmhhmm. I have traveled all over Ryke, and even recently visited Crustanton at the bottom of the Continental Lake, mmhhmm." She was nervous and she tended to talk when she was nervous. But she was also genuinely interested in what her guests had to say. It was a difficult combination of feelings.

Euthalia Apricot

Euthalia nodded at Calliope's notion of a mop and a bucket. “Then she'll clean up after herself shortly, isn't that right, Keone?” She'd ask her companion with a bit of [Leadership/Persuasion F] pressure behind those words.

“Fineeee... just a little more... it's so warm... so nice.” She snake replied from before the fireplace, having found the ideal way to lay down in front of it to maximise warmth absorption.

Euthalia just sighed. However, that sighed turned into some relief when she learned that this was indeed Calliope. Great. Working with this girl should be do-able, if not easy. No humans in sight. Perfect. A smile formed on her lips. “And I am looking forward to working with you, miss Calliope.”

As they were handed the towels, they were quick to get off some water and dirt in as much as that was possible. However, to Euthalia's shock, Calliope had already set out to clean up Keone's mess. “Ah, thank you, but you really shouldn't have to clean up after us...” She was ready to apologise again, when she suddenly realised what Calliope had said. She'd definitely told them to make themselves at home and knowing Islwyn...

Islwyn Meadhra
uSlu8FB.png

“Hey, where can I hang these to dry?” Islwyn asked Calliope, holding up her clothes. All of them. At the mention of 'making herself at home' she'd decided to do just that, which meant getting those soggy wet clothes off first and foremost. Clothes were considered optional where she was from, as it wasn't the strangest thing to go without in The See in general. They weren't in the See right now and Euthalia doubted Calliope was familiar or comfortable with some of those Fae habits.

Again, Euthalia sighed. “Forgive her, she tends to take offers of making herself at home a little too serious.”

“Hmm?” Islwyn turned to Euthalia. “Oh come on, don't be such a prude~ You don't want me to catch a cold from staying in wet clothes either, would you~ Besides, it's nice and warm here and I'm sure I don't have anything she hasn't seen before, although she's welcome to check~” Islwyn added the latter with a wink and [Seduction F], her more playful Satyr nature showing itself.

Meanwhile, Euthalia was starting to regret not going solo on this mission.

Keone perked up at the mention of tea. “Oh, was that tea I smelled? It smelled great, I'd love to try it.” She responded. She wasn't quick to warm up to people, but this one had made a decent first impression. After all, she loved warm places and this one had a fireplace ready for them~ The comfortable warmth was making her feel lazy and sleepy. It was great.

“Oh, I'd love to try it as well.” Islwyn said, figuring that after Euthalia's earlier warning, asking for booze would probably be pushing things too much. Then again, after having gotten soaked, tea would be nice.

The only one to refuse was Euthalia herself. “No thanks, just some water would be fine. My physiology doesn't match well with much else.” She figured she'd get that out of the way soon, to avoid having to deny offers of food or drinks constantly.

Luckily enough, Calliope was rather talkative. Hopefully that'd distract from some of the 'habits' of her companions. “It was decent enough. It's the first time I travelled into Ryke, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but a lot of the forests aren't too dissimilar from our own. I guess the main difference is the amount of humans in them.” She quickly realised that humans weren't a safe topic, so she instead focussed on what the girl said. “The bottom of the Continental Lake? That is quite the journey. I heard about there being an underwater city, but that's about it. What was it like?” Good. Having Calliope talk about it would let them get to know her better and hopefully distract her from some of the less 'diplomatic' behaviour of her companions.

Calliope
short orange hair blue eyes cat ears tail fantasy adventure merchant plants olde s-3374215156.png
Calliope didn't want to force Keone to get up. She looked so comfortable by the fire. And not slithering around. She smiled as Euthalia as she spoke to her. "Please, just Calliope is fine, mmhhmm. I-is there a title I should use when addressing you, hhhmmm? The letter I received from the merchants guild just said Euthalia Aprrricot, mmhhmm."

As she mopped, Euthalia put in a mild protest. "Oh no, it is quite all right, mmhhmm. You are my guests here, mmhhmm." She turned back to Euthalia to give a reassuring smile, but was met with a naked satyr woman holding a bundle of wet clothes. She had really not been prepared for that. "I... Uh... Theres... mmhhmm." She blushed and quickly looked around the room. If this had been her house, she would have kept a drying rack... next to the fireplace! She walked over and spread it out carefully behind Keone. "Y-you c-can place them th-there to dry, mmhhmm." She turned a deeper shade of red as Islwyn flirted with her. "Th-that's quite alright, mmhhmm. N-no checking will be necessary, mmhhmm. Actually, it is not uncommon for some beastfolk to go unclothed, mmhhmm. Some believe clothing is a relic from the days of human servitude, while some others grow up in the wild away from civilization and society, mmhhmm." Personally, Calliope liked clothes. And she liked when everyone around her was wearing them... but, then again was Euthalia wasn't wearing clothes. Why didn't that seem to bother her? The realization eased her discomfort as she rationalized that there was no difference between the two Fae not adorning themselves. She mopped up the water from Islwyn's clothes and emptied the bucket out the window.

She smiled and regained her measure of control as the two agreed to tea. "I have a loaf of Rose hip bread too, if any of you would like to try some, mmhhmm." Keeping busy always helped to relax her, especially playing host to others. Growing up in a household of several siblings of which she was the oldest had had an effect on her. She headed to the small kitchen and filled a kettle with water before hanging it above the fire to boil. She was careful not to get to close to Keone. The cupboard only had two mugs in it, so she grabbed one of her clean beakers and filled it with water for Euthalia. She wanted to ask the woman more, prying into what and how she ate, but she was not one of the plants Calliope was here to study.

Calliope chuckled at the question about Crustanton. "It was quite frightening, if I am to be honest, but equally as fascinating if not more so, mmhhmm. I confess, I am often discomforted by new experiences, but I do not let that stop me from learning and exploring, mmhhmm. Commonalities and shared experiences are what bring people together, so I want to have as many as I can, mmhhmm. I even managed to make two wonderful friends on the trip, so my unease was worth it in the end, mmhhmm."

With her guests taken care of and water on the fire to boil, she finally turned her attention to the boxes. "So, this is them, hhhmmm? I apprrreciate your delivering them and agreeing to stay to help with the research, mmhhmm. Hopefully what we learn will be a benefit to both of us, mmhhmm."

Last edited:
Euthalia Apricot

ekSJs62.jpg[

Sylvari

Were they already dropping the 'miss' parts of names? Well, she didn't mind. There was a time where she was rather proud of her titles, back when 'your highness' was included. That time was long-gone after she'd lost them all. “Just Euthalia is fine.” She'd reply with a gentle smile. Might as well commit fully and go first-name basis. On another note, she couldn't help herself from noticing the constant purring between sentences. She didn't hear folk with such a heavy 'accent' often, but there was something... Pleasant to it, perhaps? Purring was an indication of liking something, after all.

Islwyn Meadhra
uSlu8FB.png

Islwyn was very quick to pick up Calliope's bashfulness, but when the latter mentioned beasts going unclothed, she couldn't help teasing the girl with it and to poke a bit of fun at Euthalia while at it. “See, beasts know that clothes are overrated as well, so there's no need to be a prude~ I'm sure Calliope herself will join in with me in no-time! Besides, we all know you're technically the worst offender~” She said, with a wink towards Euthalia. Out of the three of them, Islwyn was already feeling fully at home here.

Euthalia was still a little on guard. She figured it was best to ignore Iswlyn for now and to just apologise again. “Once again, I apologise on behalf of my friends. Please don't take Islwyn's teasing too seriously.” Besides, Islywn's comparison wasn't strictly correct. After all Sylvari grew 'outer' leaves that were more like a type clothing to them, fulfilling the same function of protection and layering. Not that she thought going into detailed Sylvari anatomy would be a good move to pull just after meeting someone.

“Rose hip bread..?” Keone chimed in from in front of the fire-place, already half-asleep for the comfortable warmth spreading through her body. She had no clue what that was about. “Hsssss sssssuuurrre.” She replied, half-hissing in satisfaction and half-yawning.

Iswlyn was casually observing Calliope as she went around the house, observing a few patterns. “Did you grow up with a lot of siblings, Cali?” She asked, as the girl was working in the kitchen. She seemed used to this type of work.

Euthalia listened with some interest to the Crustaton tale. “Frightening? What part about it? I could imagine being stuck underwater might be slightly frightening. I'm not sure if I'd be able to breath there, or if enough sunlight would reach below the waters, or if the soil would be fertile enough... or if the salt wouldn't make me unable to take in nutrients...” The more she thought about it, the worse it sounded. “I don't think that's a place I should visit.” She concluded.

Focussing on the second part of what Calliope told her was more fun. “That reminds me of this weird Sylph I befriended. She's an idol and I'm technically her manager now... but that's a long story.”

“I wonder how Pheenie's concert in Aslan went~” Islwyn chimed in.

It was back to business soon, however, as Calliope pointed out the plants. “Yes, it became quite the collection. We've got samples from all over the See. Some of these have gotten pretty rare as well... Ah, don't worry, we've all packed them carefully. The fresh samples should all be good for a while longer, the dried ones will last a year or longer.”

“Say... Calliope, is it true that sea-folk get to steal all they want?” Keone asked lazily from in front of the fire-place, recalling a rumour about it and bringing the topic back around.

Calliope
short orange hair blue eyes cat ears tail fantasy adventure merchant plants olde s-1227659942.png
Mention: Elvario Elvario
Languages: Common | <Beastial>​

Calliope's face flushed again at Islwyn's comment, but she paid it no mind as we went about her tasks. Even if it was difficult for her to interact with her guests, she was thankfull they were the cheerful, playful type, and not the demanding, hard to please type. She smiled as Eauthalia apologized for her friends. "It is quite alright, mmhhmm. The light teasing is prrrobably good for me, mmhhmm. I can be a bit too reserved at times, mmhhmm. Besides, you all seem like pleasant people, mmhhmm. I am happy to have such good company, mmhhmm."

Calliope stifled a shudder at Keone's hiss. It wasn't that she hated snakes, there was just some instinctual fear of them buried deep down within her. She really hoped no one noticed, she did not want to make her feel uncomfortable. This was Calliope's problem to deal with, not Keone's. She pulled the loaf of rose hip bread she had received from her mother earlier in the week and cut several slices. "Yes, it's on old family recipe, mmhhmm. My mother runs the bakery in our village, mmhhmm. I never had much of a knack for baking, potions and salves have always been more my prrreference, mmhhmm. But my younger sister is right on track to take over the business, so thankfully the tradition won't be lost, mmhhmm." She plated the bread and waited for the water to boil to serve it with the tea. She looked at Islwyn and smiled politely at her question. "I did, mmhhmm. My two brothers and I make up a set of triplets, while my younger sister and brother are twins, mmhhmm. Being the oldest sister, I often handled much of the home duties while my mother and father worked, mmhhmm. While I love my life on the road, I often feel lonely, being so used to a busy household, mmhhmm. My visits home always feel so nice, mmhhmm. What about you, Islwyn, hhhmmm? Do you have any siblings, hhhmmm?"

When Euthalia asked about Crustanton, Calliope giggled. "It's as you said, mmhhmm. Being that far down, under the water's surface, mmhhmm. Our lungs had to be filled with a strange fluid to enable us to breathe and withstand the prrressures of the depths, mmhhmm. I know I am a worry wart, but the constant threat of all that water just looming over you constantly, mmhhmm." Calliope shuddered thinking about it. "And the method by wich we arrived at the city was most unpleasant, mmhhmm. I never wish to be iside a fish again, mmhhmm. Oh, sorry, I do not mean to be so negative, mmhhmm. As I said it was very fascinating too, mmhhmm. Maybe one day I shall make the journey again, mmhhmm."

She cocked her head curiously at Euthalia and Islwyn's next statement. "A Sylph... Idol, hhhmmm? I have never heard of such a thing, mmhhmm. Though I admit, I know very little of the religions of The See, mmhhmm."

Calliope smiled warmly at Euthalia while she explained about the goods. "Excellent, mmhhmm. I trust you know what you are doing, mmhhmm. The Merchants Guild is quite reputable, so if they sent you, you must be very capable, mmhhmm."

The water finally boiled and Calliope pulled it from the fire, preparing two mugs of tea for Keone and Islwyn. She brought each of them their cup with a plate of rose hip bread. She frowned at Keone's question, remembering the events on the Fatte Tunalia. "I am not completely sure on the details, but... it seems that way, mmhhmm. I had my journal taken from me on the trip, but it was determined to have no value and returned to me, mmhhmm." That last sentence seemed to really upset her, but only for a moment as she shook it off and smiled again.

Euthalia Apricot

ekSJs62.jpg[

Sylvari
Languages: Common | <Beastial> | {Sylvan}

Calliope had barely finished her sentence when Euthalia turned to face Islywn. “Before you consider this a free pass, remember she said light teasing.” Her voice carried some authority (Leadership F/Persuasion F) as she said it.

Islwyn Meadhra
uSlu8FB.png

“Fiiine, but don't worry, I'd never be mean to such a cutie~” She replied with a wink in Calliope's direction (Seduction F). She clearly had her own idea of 'light' when it came to teasing.

Euthalia sighed, turning back to Calliope. “Just let me know when she starts taking it too far, alright? Anyhow, I'm also relieved. There was a point at which I worried we might have to work with some stern, wrinkly old human alchemist of sorts. I'm glad none of that was true.” Ah, had she let her dislike of humans slip through again? Well, at least it wasn't too directly. She could talk over it. “Still, I'm truly grateful you went out of your way to welcome us.” She said, with the fireplace and food all having been prepared for them. She didn't really make use of either, but still. The thought counted.

Keone was too distracted keeping her eyes open whilst in front of the fire to notice any fear from Calliope. “Sssssounds lovely.” She lazily replied to the explanation of rose hip bread.

“That sounds lovely, dear~ Such a large family must've kept you rather busy. Now I can see what made you so attentive and kind~” Islwyn replied at the mention of all Calliope's siblings. “Siblings, well I...” she stopped. It'd been years now. Surely she could at least talk about it by now. Except she couldn't. Just thinking back on them, all she could see was the slaughter... their faces as they died. She barely even remembered how they lived. Even being asked about them was bringing it up, if she didn't... if she didn't... she felt a hand upon her shoulder.

Upon the mention of Iswlyn's siblings, Euthalia noticed what was happening, quickly moving over. “{It's alright. Focus on the here and now. You're safe. They're with the elementals, at peace.}” She said, gently embracing Islwyn, then turning to Calliope. “<She lost all of her family and most of her friends in an East Empire attack. It's been a long time ago, but she's still struggling to come to terms with it, even though she's trying. It's best to leave the topic be for a bit. Also, don't worry, I know you didn't know.”> She spoke in Beastial, so that her words wouldn't further distress Islwyn, who was just calming down.

A bit later, it was like nothing had happened, with Islwyn latching onto the next topic. “Ah, I'm sure Pheeni is just as popular in Ryke and the Magic Duchy, where she had her latest show~ She'll make it big, I know it!”

The compliment given to Euthalia made her smile. “Thank you, although I'll admit that part of getting signed up was due to being in the right place at the right time. Still, I like to deliver quality, so I'm fairly confident you shouldn't be disappointed.” After all, once they took on a job, she wanted to fulfil it to its fullest.

Keone slithered a bit more upright to accept the tea and bread. “Thanks.” She said, sniffing both first. “Smells interesting...” Then she carefully tasted oh. “Oh! That's actually pretty good!” She said, a little surprised the cake and bread didn't taste as much as the stuff fancy old noblewoman put on as she first feared.

As for the matter of stealing, she titled her head. “I ssssee...” She liked the idea of just being able to steal without punishment. Especially from folk like humans. It was a bit of a shame she wasn't one of those sea-people herself.

Euthalia noticed she'd gotten a little upset at the idea of her journal being worthless, which surprised her. “Are you talking about the same journal you're planning to catalogue these plants in? If so, you were lucky they didn't realise its worth.”

Calliope
short orange hair adult cat girl fantasy adventure merchant potion s-814793130.png

Calliope smirked at Islwyn's comment. She was quickly growing used to her teasing personality. She Smiled and nodded at Euthalia. "It is no prrroblem, mmhhmm. I am happy to welcome you all, mmhhmm. And I shall let you know if the teasing grows to be too much, mmhhmm." She laughed as she said the last part and winked back at Islwyn.

As the question of siblings caused Islwyn trauma, Calliope's ears flattened. She hadn't intended to upset her, and wished she could do something to help, but Euthalia seemed to have it handled. As Euthalia spoke to her in beastial, she just nodded her head in understanding, not wanting to make things worse. And surely enough, soon, Islwyn seemed to be back to her cheery self.

She smiled as Keone tried the rose hip bread.
"I am quite pleased you like it, mmhhmm. Let me know if you would like another slice or more tea, mmhhmm." She was slowly warming up to Keone, as the irrational fear started to leave her.

She smiled at Euthalia as she mentioned her journal. "Yes, I keep a new journal for every year, that I fill out with all my research, mmhhmm. I also tend to tuck my important documents into it, mmhhmm. If I had not recovered it, it would have been rather devastating, mmhhmm. But it did not feel good to be told that one of the things I value most had no worth, mmhhmm. Though I suppose I was lucky, yes, mmhhmm."

She walked to her table and picked up two leather bound journals, holding them up. "As we conduct our research, I will be filling out this empty journal as a duplicate to my own, mmhhmm. Then you can take it with you when you leave to turn over to the guild, mmhhmm. Oh, but you should rest before we get started, you have had a long journey, mmhhmm. There are beds in the bedroom, but, I confess, I did not expect so many of you, mmhhmm. There are only two beds, though Keone seems like she is rather comfortable where she is, mmhhmm." She smiled and covered her mouth at that last part.

Languages: Common | <Beastial> | {Sylvan}

“Yessss pleassssseee.” She replied, starting to hiss more the more she was relaxing. “I could go for sssseconds on both.” A warm fire, warm tea, food. This was heaven.

Islwyn Meadhra
uSlu8FB.png

“I'm surprised at how fragrant both are~” Iswlyn commented, having tried some tea and a slice for herself. “Did you condense the scent with some potion-tricks?” She asked, genuinely curious. “I wonder if you could brew good alcohol with this... rose wine might be great~” Her mind was already drifting to booze again, now that the trauma was silenced before it could hit her in full.

Euthalia Apricot

ekSJs62.jpg[

Sylvari

Her guess with the journal had been correct, it seemed, which was great. “You fill up a journal every year?” She was surprised. “That's a lot of research to go through each year, I'm guessing you take on a lot of jobs like these?”

Euthalia was shocked when she heard something went wrong in the communications. “My most humble apologies.” She said, giving a bow. “I was convinced I stated to be travelling with these two in my correspondence with the Faazi Merchant Guild, but that information might've gotten lost in the process. It was by no means my intention to inconvenience or surprise you. Should you so desire, I can arrange for lodgings in a nearby tavern or inn.”

“Hmmm.... I like it here though thisssss isssss great.” Keone mumbled from in front of the fireplace. “Besides, one bed isssss enough. We still have the coiling agreement and you'll be able to root nearby, right?”

Euthalia clicked her tongue. “That might work, but I'd rather not have you make our gracious host uncomfortable or overstay our welcome here.” A bit of an awkward silence fell, as they seemed to be debating their options. In general, she knew going out in the pouring rain again hoping to find room in a tavern was far from ideal. She also didn't have to root again in a while, for what it was worth. That said, if Calliope wanted to know what they were on about, she'd likely have to pry just a little.

Calliope
short orange hair blue eyes cat ears tail fantasy adventure merchant plants olde s-1645153041.png

Calliope paused for a moment, takeing a breath after Keone's hisses making sure she was facing away from everyone, then approached the snakewoman to collect her plate and mug. "Of course, I am pleased you enjoy them, mmhhmm." It was rare she got to share treats like this with companions, it filled with joy that they were enjoying them. She smiled as as Islwyn asked about the flavors. "I did not, if you can believe it, mmhhmm. It's just standard baking and rose petals for the tea, mmhhmm." At Islwyn's inquirey about booze she paused to think for a moment. "Hmmm... I believe there are some wines which use flowers to change the taste, but I do not think the plants themselves can make alcohol, mmhhmm. Though if someone did, I'd love to try it, mmhhmm. I prrrefer mead myself, but I enjoy trying new things, mmhhmm."

She blushed, and her ears perked up, quite pleased with Euthalia's astonishment at her productivity. "Yes, though it is not all fruitful, mmhhmm. I like to find new uses for common ingrediants, so I occasionally 'retread old ground' so to speak, mmhhmm. This is actually the first time I have taken on an endeavor such as this, mmhhmm. I was planning to make an excursion to The See when I heard about the job from the merchant's guild, mmhhmm. I could not let such an opporrrtunity pass me by, mmhhmm." Her work was one of the most important things to her and it felt nice that it was receiving attention.

As Euthalia apologized formally for the communication error, Calliope waved her hands in front of her. "No, no, it is quite alright, these things happen, mmhhmm. I can retrieve my bedroll from my horse and sleep out here tonight, mmhhmm. I am quite used to sleeping on it as I am on the road most nights, mmhhmm. I prrromise, it is no inconvenience to me, mmhhmm. You are all welcome to stay here, so long as you find the lodging adequate yourselves, mmhhmm." She wasn't sure what kind of life style they were used to and hoped this humble village town house met their standards. Some of the things Keone said peaked her interest, particularly 'rooting' and 'coiling agreement', but she wasn't sure if she should ask about it. She knew she had a habit of talking to much, and that often made her second guess herself in social situations.

Islwyn Meadhra
uSlu8FB.png

“I'm surprised it has such fragrance, even when it's not condensed~ We should totally try to brew some good booze with it~ Oh, we could even try make rose petal mead~ Or perhaps a nice rose whiskey? Or maybe rose petal rum... sugarcane and roses..?” She was in her element now that they were talking about her favourite topic; booze.

Euthalia Apricot

ekSJs62.jpg[

Sylvari

“Being able to continue working on something even though it's not all fruitful is only more commendable, as most might grow tried or give up.” She replied to Calliope. “The See is wonderful, but it's a dangerous place to wander for outsiders. You'd need a guide... Should our business here conclude favourably, perhaps I might be available one day. For now, though, we should focus on our assignments.” She figured it'd be best to stay professional... as much as possible, after her companions both making themselves at home already.

“As for lodging, I personally would only like to know if you happen to know if there is any fertile soil nearby. Riverbanks with clay ground, farmland that's not been used in a while or just the soil in a well-kept garden. After such a long journey with little time to root, I must say I've grown an appetite.” She wasn't sure how much else needed explaining.

Islwyn hesitated for a moment, then turned to Calliope. “Oh, don't worry, there's no need for such a thing. It's just... Euthalia, could you explain?” She suddenly asked Euthalia.

“Alright.” Euthalia figured she'd cut Islwyn some slack. “Islwyn tends to wake up at night a lot, from the nightmares of her past. We used to have a lot of sleepovers in the greenhouse to counter that.”

With the ice broken, Iswlyn managed to chime in herself. “Yes... It's a bit childish, perhaps, but the sound of hearing my friends breath and sleep nearby makes me feel a lot more comfortable. You know, when you wake up at night, it's like your brain doesn't fully work and like it just makes everything seem way, way worse. The memories can be overwhelming then, yet when someone I know is near, I can focus on the sounds of them breathing and draw out all the unpleasant thoughts.”

“Although when we started travelling again, there were few places that allowed for a good place to root as well as a good place to sleep. So Keone and Islwyn ended up splitting off to sleep in taverns most of the time.”

“Hmhm... ssssooo we came to the coiling agreement.”

“You're skipping over a part.”

Islwyn sighed, deciding to take it upon herself to get to the root of this. “We've had a few occasions where there was only one bed left. Neither of us were to eager to cram into a single bed together, but not having someone familiar near me felt like an even worse option.”

“Ssssooo I told her I'd sssshare a bed with her, but only if she'd let me coil around her. It'ssss really nice and warm.”

“Well... yes. I ended up agreeing.”

“Yet one day, I returned from where I rooted, only to find the tavern in uproar.”

“Someone had seen Keone wrapped around me and thought she'd been strangling me. So he'd rushed out to call the town guards to report a murder. It was... very awkward to explain.”

“It's their fault though! They assume the worsssst for no reason. Like, you have arms and hands, right? Arms and hands can kill someone, punch them, choke them, strangle them. You just chose not to do so. You chose to hug, hand-shake, pet, embrace. My tail is just like that. The idea that tails like ours are only for hurting people is ridiculous. I can be really gentle when wrapping myself around sssssomeone! I just like the warmth and I like keeping the things I value close, so... it'ssss like a super-hug!” From how sleepy Keone had been thus far, she'd gotten herself rather worked up over this.

“I know, I know. Yet that doesn't mean anyone will be comfortable with us having the coiling agreement. We'd be sharing a bed together, but also a room with Cali, so we can't make her uncomfortable with it, right?”

“Then I want the bedroll, right here before the fire... and I want to keep the fire going through-out the night. And you'll need to rely on Calliope to help you with your nightmares, even though you just met her!” Keone reacted, a bit... annoyed?

“What? No, it's not what I meant. I just...”

“As you can see.” Euthalia interrupted. “You don't have to worry about me and Islwyn and Keone have options. Just tell us what you're comfortable with and we'll be happy to adjust.” She said, staring a little strictly at her companions, not wanting to make even more of a scene.

Last edited:
Calliope
short orange hair blue eyes cat ears tail fantasy adventure merchant plants olde s-871517047.png

"Hmmmmm..., I suppose brewing isn't to far of a jump from my current work, mmhhmm. It would be interesting to to see what prrractices could be brought over from one to the other, mmhhmm. If I ever decide to dabble, I shall have to ask for your assistance, mmhhmm." She smiled at Islwyn, feeling much more at ease with everyone in the room now.

I slight purr escaped Calliope's throat as Euthalia praised her further. Very few had ever shown her work any interest, including her own family. When she visited, she was often approached to tend to the sick and infirm that the local doctor was to busy to treat, and even with practical results in front of them, they treated her like a hopeless romantic chasing a flittering dream. Of course she wasn't in it for the recognition, but... enjoying a little was okay, right? She smiled as Euthalia mentioned maybe being available as a guide, but quickly returned to a straight face as she returned to business at hand. "Oh, yes, of course, mmhhmm. We have plenty to deal with here as is, mmhhmm."

As Euthalia voiced her opinion on the subject of lodging, Calliope cocked her head, deep in thought. So that what was what she had meant by 'rooting'. And that was how she 'ate'. It made since, she was a living plant of sorts. Calliope knew a lot about growing and caring for plants, but unfortunately, she was not familiar with this part of Ryke. This was much closer tot he East Empire Border than she had ever come before, only making the trip here to lesson the burden on the guilds representative. "Well, I crossed over a stream on the north side of town on my arrival, but I'm not sure about it's soil makeup, mmhhmm. And much of the farmland I passed by was recently burned, mmhhmm. Hmmmmmm... Oh, one moment, mmhhmm...!" Calliope turned and opened the back door of the house, stepping into the rain for just a moment. She returned quickly, wet from the downpour. "There is garden around the back side of the house, mmhhmm. The owner mentioned it to me when I rented the house, but I didn't plan on being here long enough to use it, mmhhmm. It is quite overgrown, but the plants appear to be healthy and growing, mmhhmm. Would that suffice, hhhmmm?"

As the discussion of Keone and Islwyn's sleeping arrangements took place, Calliope blushed slightly, not used to being included in others in such... personal... affairs of others, but was quiet until their peace was said. She didn't judge their arrangement at all. Like she said, she and her siblings had been close and she was used to always being in a busy house, so nights on the road could get hard for her. She felt especially bad for her reaction toward Keone now. She took a deep breath and approached the snake woman. "It is alright, mmhhmm. Neither of you make me uncomfortable, mmhhmm. And while your arrangement may be uncommon, I think it is very sweet of you to be there for Islwyn when she needs you, mmhhmm. I have no issue sleeping in the same room with the two of you, mmhhmm." She hoped her words were enough to set everyone at ease.

Islwyn Meadhra
uSlu8FB.png

“Great~ I'll gladly taste whatever you'd end up brewing~ That's what I'm best at, after all~”

“You're a little too good at it, if you ask me.”

Euthalia Apricot

ekSJs62.jpg[

Sylvari

“It would indeed be better to know some moderation.”

“Awww... fine. We'll make it light booze, not too much alcohol. Then I can still drink a lot. Sound fair?”

Calliope was going to be involved in something big, in a way, should she pursue this brewing quest at some point, that much seemed sure.

Euthalia was relieved to hear there were some decent sounding rooting options. “I'll check it out soon, but it sounds promising enough. Having a nearby place is ideal, even if I might take a little longer. It's a shame the weather is unfavourable, otherwise I'd have asked you to join me and enjoy the sun...” She shook her head. She was here on business, not to start getting friendly with this overly hospitable beast girl. She was being far too nice to them, it was throwing her off guard and ruining her professionalism. Her companions clearly having to taken a quick liking to her clearly didn't help.

Islwyn perked up at Calliope's reply. “Thanks dear, you're a real sweetheart.” She then turned to Keone. “Sooo... coiling agreement?” She said, hoping to get the snake out of her worsened mood with a quick [Seduction F] wink.

“Fine, but you'd best be as warm as thissss fireplace.” Keone was quick to give in. She then turned to Calliope, a bit of a sly grin on her face. “By the way, should you wish to join the coiling agreement, I can give you a free trial.” She didn't exactly have the natural charm of the Satyr, so it might come across a little intimidating. However, to Euthalia and Islwyn, the offer stood out. Generally, only two types of people got this treatment. [Small] or [tiny] characters that Keone instinctively ended up coiling around in an almost bullying manner or those she genuinely felt comfortable with or wished to protect. It was extremely rare for Keone to like someone this much, this short after meeting them, especially without being bought by the offer of trinkets and shinies.

“Thanks for being understanding.” Euthalia added, genuine gratitude showing as she realised even Keone had been able to quickly warm up to this girl. She realised she'd best get to business, before she'd be so comfortable she forgot all about it. It's why she was soon heading over to one of the boxes with plants. “Why don't we get started on some of these? Keone and Islwyn can rest, I've still got some energy and curiosity left to get a start in.”

She spoke, as she unpacked the first of the boxes. In it were a few vials, some smaller boxes and even some ceramic containers. It was clear these had been packed with a lot of care. Except for one plant. That was just laying uncovered and unsorted atop the rest of them.

WBc5tBz.jpg

“Ah, that's right.” Euthalia said, suddenly recalling it. “We found some of these along the road on our way here. They're called {Fairy's Blessleaf} … Perhaps Fairy Fern? That seems the closest common translation. They aren't exceptionally rare, but I don't think they grow outside of the See, or at least not in abundance. I've heard that when they're in bloom, like this one, their sap has a soothing effect on the skin, like Aloe Vera, but even stronger. However, I've also heard a lot of people get allergies from it. Should someone figure out how to separate the soothing properties from what people tend to be allergic too, it could probably make for a good salve. I wasn't sure if that was the type of thing you were hoping to find, but I figured it might be worth bringing along regardless. You might not want to touch it with your bare hands though, in case you're also allergic.”

Calliope
short orange hair cat girl fantasy merchant adventure plants nervous terror frig s-2383907864.png
Mention: Elvario Elvario

Calliope smiled at the suggestion of light booze. She was happy that they seemed to be taking her as much as she was to them. "Of, course, mmhhmm. I look forward to working with you in the future, mmhhmm."

Calliope wished the weather had been better. Sitting the sun was tempting enough, but doing so and sharing in conversation with Euthalia sounded wonderful. "Perrrhaps we shall see how the weather fares tomorrow, mmhhmm. Perrrhaps we could still get that chance, mmhhmm."

As Keone, made Calliope her offer, the cat girl froze. She had invited this, hadn't she? She wanted Keone to feel comfortable, didn't she? It would be rude to turn her down now, wouldn't it? "I-I... uh... I... j-just a trial, yes, hhhmmm?" She started to blush. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath calming herself, then nodded her head up and down. "Okay, mmhhmm."

Calliope was eager to begin work. She had been stifling that excitement, not wanting her new gue-... friends... to feel unwelcome. She really was happy they were here and had enjoyed getting to know them. But this... This was her life... Learning, creating, documenting, and ultimately sharing knowledge. It thrilled her to no end. It was her passion. Her eyes grew wide as Euthalia held out the small glowing flora. She had never seen anything like it before. But as Euthalia spoke, something crossed her mind. She would be writing both journals in common, but when Euthalia delivered the guilds copy, it would likely be translated into Sylvan, so all the plant names would be changed... Corrected... She would have an inaccurate copy... That made her feel sick. "Um, Euthalia, could I ask you for a small favor, hhhmmm? After I write each plant name in common in my journal, could you write the name in Sylvan under it, hhhmmm?" She pulled an old pare of leather gloves out of her supplies and put one on her left hand. She took the plant in her gloved hand and set it down. Then she began to work.

Drawing a small knife, she cut the end of one of the branches carefully, allowing the sap to bleed slightly. Then she rubbed it on her pinky on her right hand. She smiled at Euthalia. "Hopefully, I am allergic, mmhhmm. Otherwise, we will have no way of knowing if the separrration of the two traits was successful or not, mmhhmm. But do not worry, mmhhmm. I have many remedies for something as simple as a mild to moderate rash, mmhhmm." She flipped her journal open and set the plant down on the table infront of it. She sketched a rough image of the plant with enough room to label the different parts of it. after she finished she held her finger back out. A small raised red line had appeared and it itched slightly. "Fascinating, it appears I am allergic, mmhhmm." She then copied down all the information Euthalia had given her underneath the sketch. "Hmmm, now I shall see if all parts of the plant are capable of prrroducing the reaction or if it is only the sap, mmhhmm." She plucked a leaf from the branch she cut and rubbed it against her middle finger, then pulled out a small file like you might find in a metal workshop. She shaved off the bark on the thickest part of the stem and rolled her index finger in it. Being careful not to touch anything with that hand, she walked over and sifted through her supplies, pulling out a number of berries, flowers, nuts, and leaves, returning to her desk with them. She checks her fingers, now with red raised spots on all of them. "So, we won't be able to isolate the soothing factor, as the substance causing the reaction isn't a singular part of the plant, but the plant itself, mmhhmm. But, what we can do is create a salve that treats the reaction it causes, mmhhmm. If we can find another ingredient that counter acts the histamine reaction and has soothing prrroperties of it's own, we'll have a rather useful simple salve on our hands, mmhhmm." She places the nuts into a mortar and begins to grind them into a paste. She plucks a number of leaves off the Fairy Fern and adds them to the paste, continuing to grind. once no trace of the leaves is left and the mixture is smooth, she dips her thumb into it. After a few minutes she wipes the paste off her thumb with a rag. There is no rash. She holds her thumb out to Euthalia. "You, see, hhhmmm? So now we can see if it actually soothes, mmhhmm." She dipped her other splotchy fingers into the paste and rubbed it in. After a few minutes the rash on the rest of her fingers had begun to dissipate. She held it up to Euthalia to see, smiling, then walked to the sink to wash her hands, before slipping both leather gloves on. "And now we have a simple salve, mmhhmm. But that is the easy part, and it was made a good deal easier by the information you gave me, mmhhmm. But potions and salves that can heal rashes or reduce fevers are simple enough, mmhhmm. But what about a potion that allows you to breathe underwater, hhhmmm? Or one that makes the consumer vanish, hhhmmm? These are the harder things to determine, mmhhmm. But we have ways, mmhhmm." She pulled a small pouch from her supplies and poured a substance that looked like salt onto a tray. "This is anathema salt, mmhhmm. When exposed to substances with innate magic, it turns a shade of... <turquoise>... um, I don't know the word in common, like a blue green color, mmhhmm. So when I set the Fairy Fern in the salt, hopefully, it will change color, mmhhmm." She cut the branch she had already been experimenting on a little further down and placed the piece on the layer of salt. Nothing happened. She frowned. "Well, that is disappointing, mmhhmm. But I suppose not every plant can have magical prrroperties, mmhhmm." She smiled at Euthalia. "I appreciate you bringing it with you though, mmhhmm. It wasn't one of the ones the guild sent right, hhhmmm? May I keep it, hhhmmm? I would love to run more tests on it at a later time, mmhhmm." She really hoped the answer was yes.

Clearing off the table and getting it ready for the next ingredient, she smiled happily, hoping that Euthalia found it the least bit interesting.

Last edited:
Languages Common | <Beastial> | {Sylvan}

Upon noticing just how uncomfortable Calliope had gotten, Keone backed down. She was visibility disappointed, realising their gracious host was just like all the others that saw her snake-half as nothing but a danger. Thus far, their gracious host had been near-perfect, but it seemed like perfection was still out of reach. Even so, the fact she was willing to try meant something. Keone figured she'd keep it simple for now. “Let's start easy, give me a <Tail Tap>~” She said, holding the tip of her tail up for Calliope to tap with hers, a [beast] equivalent of a high five. “They're almost the same colour, so surely they can't be that different, right? I'm sure you'll be able to get used to it before the job is done. You'll be begging me to get a taste of some coiling before long!” She said, before slithering back to her spot in front of the fire and laying down. She'd leave all the work to Euthalia.

Islwyn Meadhra
uSlu8FB.png

Islwyn ended up taking place besides Keone, warming herself by the fire whilst sipping from a flask that smelled like whatever was in there was pretty strong stuff.

Euthalia Apricot

ekSJs62.jpg[

Sylvari

Calliope's enthusiasm was infectious, as Euthalia found herself swept away with it. “Of course, that should make it easier for me as well, later down the line.” She realised, as that meant she wouldn't have to re-translate all the names back into Sylvan later, when submitting the results.

However, she as shocked when Calliope just said she hoped she was allergic. Before she could even react, Calliope was already rubbing the plant onto herself. “Wait, hold up!” She call. “What if you ended up being far more severely allergic to it than expected? You'd risk being stick with red and itchy skin for quite a while. I don't wish to interfere in things that I have little knowledge about, but surely there's a better way to test these things than just blindly taking such risks, right?” She stated, a mixture of genuine concern for her gracious host and confusion as to why she tested on herself with so little regard for her own well-being. She hadn't even asked Euthalia for the type of allergy or the average severity of it, just diving straight into it. That was a dangerous move, or so Euthalia thought. She found herself caring oddly much, come to think of it. If this were the average person, she'd just let them find out on their own or if it was a human, she'd be hoping it was a severe reaction. Now, however, she felt uncomfortable.

With that done, however, Euthalia just watched in fascination. The process was highly intriguing even if she struggled to keep up. As for the next part Calliiope said, Euthalia smiled. “Don't worry, we've got more than enough rarer plants with us. Surely some of that will give you the results you want.” She made a mental note to bring out something more interesting next. After all, as expected, the Fairy Fern didn't have much else to it. That said, the process of using salt like that was completely new to Euthalia. “<Turquoise?> That should be {turquoise} in Sylvan...” She didn't know the common either, until a voice echoed from in front of the fireplace. “It's turquoise.” “Thanks.”

She was surprised that Calliope wanted to keep the plant. “Sure, no problem. They grow in abundance, after all, for as long as there's some water nearby and enough shade.” That said, she wondered what she should bring out next. There were a few very interesting samples, but she figured some of those might be best to bring up a bit later. So... Ah, of course, that one! It was interesting for sure, but not likely to be a bit much to start off with.

kDX1vw6.jpg

“This one should prove a lot more interesting.” Euthalia said, taking what seemed to be a type of mineral out of its own separate box. Notably, it was clear that a lot had been done to protect it from getting wet. “It's called {Living Mineral} or … Living Rock. Sorry, translating some of these proves challenging. It sometimes gets mined up by Dwarves who discard it as a pretty, yet useless mineral. However, it was recently discovered that it's actually a plant that grows to resemble a mineral. It's unclear why it grows like that, but perhaps its due to the minerals it takes in to prevent being eaten by cave-dwelling creatures. Either way, it doesn't seem to need sunlight to grow, but it does need certain minerals to grow on and more notably, it grows more often in mana rich environments. It will dissolve quickly into water, yet it won't die. It'll just stay dormant until it is left somewhere else, where it can start growing again if it ends up in a correct spot. Oddly enough, despite how easy it can spread, it's very rare. It might be due to it needing a very specific balance of minerals and mana with the right conditions of humidity and lack of light to be able to grow as big as this chunk. Considering nobody knows its value, its fairly cheap right now, but if uses are found for it, prices will probably skyrocket due to how relatively rare it is.”

Calliope
short orange hair cat girl fantasy merchant adventure plants nervous terror frig s-3652433439.png

Calliope's face matched Keone's as she showed her disappointment, her ears and tail drooping. She had done her best to spare Keone's feelings, but even she could only go so far. "I am sorry, Keone, mmhhmm. I really do like you, mmhhmm. You have come off as nothing but kind and caring since you arrived, I'm just not ready for such a... perrsonal... interaction, mmhhmm. I am the one at fault here, there is nothing wrong with you, mmhhmm." Calliope smiled at Keone's suggestion and gave her the tail tap. She hadn't done that since she was a kitten. "I hope so Keone, mmhhmm. I would like that, mmhhmm." She smiled kindly at the snake woman.

She cocked her head at Euthalia's protest. "Unfortunately, no there is no better way, mmhhmm. At least I do not believe so, mmhhmm. I need to know as much as I can about each plant, including it's harmful effects and a first perrrson account is invaluable, mmhhmm. In this particular instance, you warned me of the dangers of touching the plant before hand, but on many occasions, I don't have that information, mmhhmm. I can't just never touch the speciman for fear that it might be dangerous, I need to know if it is, mmhhmm. But as I said, I have many remedies on hand at all times to treat any harmful reactions that may occur, mmhhmm." She patted her dress pocket and turned back to her work, but continued to talk. "I do not know the legitimacy of the claim, but I have heard that in the East Empire they test on slaves, mmhhmm. I would cover myself in rashes before I ever did something so cruel, mmhhmm." She frowned and shuddered.

Her went wide again as she took the next sample from Euthalia and set it down in front of her. A plant that resembled a mineral? She had never heard of such a thing. She litened, fascinated, as she filled in the lower half of the page of her journal. She made a quick sketch and set to work trying different things with the plant. It took much longer this time as she ran numerous tests on the material, several hours passing as she worked. she broke out a multitude of strange tools and equipment, and by the time she had finished, a large portion of the sample had been used, and several bottles of different potions sat on the desk before her.

She turned and smiled at Euthalia. "If you did not apprrrove of my testing the Fairy Fern on myself, you will prrrobably not like this next part, mmhhmm. The only way for me to see if the concoctions are effective is to have someone consume them and record the results, mmhhmm. And, as I stated, I would not make someone else do this for me, mmhhmm." She picked up the first bottle and poured a small amount of it into a tiny glass. She removed another bottle containing a green solution from her dress pocket and removed the cork, setting it directly in front of her.

She took a breath and then quickly swallowed the small amount of potion in the glass. "This one should change the wearers body into a differnet sate, mmhhmm. The miniscule amount I took should cause it to last only a few minutes, mmhhmm." Slowly starting with her hands, Calliope begin to become translucent, with a slight flow to her. She watched it slowly spread up her arm with a grin on her face, until her entire body was liquid. "Amazing, mmhhmm!" She spent a few moments playing with the items on her desk in her liquid form, before it wore off and she reverted back to her solid form. She filled out a small label and stuck it to the potion.

As she picked up the next potion and pulled it to her, she held it up and eyed it for moment. "This one was the most complex to create, mmhhmm. I detected traces of magical affinity in the living rock, but I had to include other ingredients to allow myself to harness magic to begin with, mmhhmm. This one should enable me to prrroduce a single lightning bolt from my palm, mmhhmm. Of course, the reduced amount I drink will make it little more than a slight shock, mmhhmm." She poured a bit of it into a small glass and drank it. She made a curious face after she swallowed. "Hmmm... It is always strange, gaining magic momentarily, mmhhmm. Like opening yourself to a new sensation, mmhhmm. Well, here goes, mmhhmm." She held her hand out, palm up and concentrated. Her eyes suddenly went wide and she grabbed the green concoction in front of her, downing it quickly, then ran out the back door. Those inside would hear retching for a few moments before she returned. "Forgive me, mmhhmm. That one was a dud, mmhhmm."

She picked up the last potion, a bright pink fluid, and poured a small portion into a glass. "Hopefully this one fares better, mmhhmm." She took another green potion from her pocket and set it in front of her uncapped. She picked up the glass and drank it. She sat there for a moment, but nothing happened. "Hmmmmm... This was supposed to be a potion to force the consumer to use etiquette, but I do not feel any more prrroper, mmhhmm. I'm not really sure how to test it either, mmhhmm." She turned to Euthalia. "Do I seem more prrroper to you, hhhmmm?" Immediately upon finishing her sentence, Calliope collapsed onto her desk and began to snore loudly.

Last edited:
Euthalia Apricot

ekSJs62.jpg[

Sylvari

Euthalia honestly wasn't sure how to reply to Calliope, as she still didn't like the idea, yet she couldn't really come up with an alternative either. Still, it was weird. “What if you end up consuming something so poisonous to you that you'll be dead before you can even swallow a remedy?” This seemed like an extremely dangerous way to go about things.

When Euthalia heard the mention of slaves, she quickly looked over her shoulder. It seemed like Keone hadn't heard. At hushed voice, she spoke up. “I wouldn't put it beyond them. Although it's best if you don't mention slavery, especially not East Empire slavery. Keone grew up as one and we already share enough hatred for the Empire as is.”

She honestly didn't like how Calliope was going to ingest this weird mineral plant as well. This one was even lesser known! Still, not being able to offer an alternative, she just watched the cat work. Even though Euthalia had no clue what was going on, she still worried. If only she could just convince Calliope to hire some Humans to test these on. That'd solve a lot of issues. There was no shortage of Humans, so if a few died, it'd not be the biggest deal. If they were in the See, she'd be a lot more comfortable suggesting such an option, but something told her that Calliope wouldn't like it either way. Then again, that part of her probably made her so pleasant to work with, so Euthalia figured she'd not judge her for it.

It was pretty darn puzzling to see Calliope just... get incredibly wet? No, that's not how to say it. Turn liquid. That was a better one. “That is both fascinating and mildly terrifying at the same time...” She said, resisting the urge to see if she could poke into the liquid body state of Calliope.

More surprising was the result of the next potion. Or rather, the failure. Did she just... nearly poison herself and take some potion that made her vomit out the harmful chemicals she just consumed? Was she really playing such dangerous games? It seemed like it. As she ran out the back-door, it didn't sound good. “{I was planning to root there...}” She mumbled in Sylvan, not too eager at the idea of the soil being soaked in vomited-out potions.

She felt inclined to stop Calliope before the latter could get to the last potion, but ended up abstaining. One more shouldn't hurt too much, hopefully. “You've been such a great host, there's little more to add to it.” Euthalia replied, figuring to tease a little. That's when Calliope clocked out. A little worried, she quickly checked for breathing, pulse and temperature. All seemed okay enough, from what Euthalia knew. Just sleeping.

She sighed. “{Hey, Islwyn, can you help me carry her over to the bedroom. I think she's worked enough for the day. We'll call in early and continue tomorrow.}”

With Islwyn agreeing, they carefully lifted Calliope as to not wake her and tucked her in. Although Islwyn and Keone decided to stay by the fire-place for a bit longer, Euthalia went for an early rest as well. Checking out the garden, it did look promising. Whatever thrown-up potion might remain had been washed away by the continuing rain and hopefully didn't seep into the soil just yet. She'd have to wing it. Either way, as her roots started to penetrate the earth, she realised this was a good enough spot. She'd eat well tonight. The constant rain didn't bother her too much, as she knew it'd make it less likely for humans to be walking around or for them stumble upon her. It'd allow her to rest a lot more peacefully.

When the next day arrived, Calliope would find herself waking up in bed, with most of her clothing (except for any underwear) neatly piled up beside her bed. As per their coiling agreement, Keone and Islwyn were fast asleep in the other bed, with the snake coiled around the satyr. Considering how peaceful they both looked, it might actually be comfortable, against all odds. Should Calliope check outside, she'd find Euthalia in the back garden, taking in the first rays of the morning sun to digest all the minerals she'd just taken in through her rooting. The rain had finally let up and it was looking to be a pretty sunny day after the storm.

Last edited:
Calliope
Short orange hair cat girl blue eyes fantasy adventure merchant groggy s-2980435309.png
Calliope smiled at Euthalia's inquiry. "While it is definitely possible, poisons that potent are rarely found naturally occuring, mmhhmm. Typically, one must go to someone such as myself to have such a poison manufactured, mmhhmm. Natural poisons tend to have early signs, mmhhmm. Head aches, stomach aches, nausea, numbness, vertigo, mmhhmm. When something I ingest causes those to occur, I immediately drink my neutralizing agent, mmhhmm." She taps the green bottle in front of her.

Calliope looked over at Keone, but didn't say anything. She had wished their earlier interaction had gone better, but maybe Keone was right. Maybe she would get another chance before she left. She wanted to prove to Keone that she didn't judge her for what she was. Or.. maybe she wanted to prove it to herself a little too...

Calliope gently opened her eyes and sat up in bed. "<Wh-what happened?>" She looked around and realized she was in bed in the bedroom. She saw the pile of clothes next to her, and lifted the blankets to see she was in her small clothes, her face turning a bright shade of red. She noticed Keone and Islwyn in the other bed, so she quickly and quietly got dressed and made her way out of the room. She headed straight to her desk and picked a book up off it, flipping through the pages with determination. When she found what she was looking for, her face momentarily scrunched in anger and she shoved her face into the book and stifled a frustrated scream. Calmer now, she grabbed a quill and crossed out the word <Etiquette> and wrote <Sleep> in it's place. She took a deep breath, straightened her clothes, and made sure her hair wasn't in disarray. Then she headed out the back door.

Finding Euthalia in the garden, she approached slowly before bowing deeply and addressing her, keeping her head lowered the entire time. "I-I apologize for what happened yesterday, mmhhmm. I prrrefer to use reference material in Beastial and my copy had a translation error, mmhhmm. My blunder has cost us valuable time and inconvenienced you and your companions, mmhhmm. P-please accept my sincere apologies, mmhhmm. I-if you wish to continue our business, I will gladly take a pay cut to make up for the time I have cost you, mmhhmm. But... i-if you do not wish to continue associating with a novice such as myself, I... I... I understand, mmhhmm." She thought she had been collected enough to do this, but tears were still falling to the garden soil below her.

Euthalia Apricot

ekSJs62.jpg[

Sylvari

She didn't immediately notice Calliope, still deep in meditation when the latter showed up. Only when Calliope started speaking did she notice the girl had approached her. It took her a moment to notice what Calliope was going on about. It honestly was a bit 'much' in the early morning whilst she was still using the sun to digest what's she'd taken in through-out the night. “Why don't you just join me in the morning sun for a moment?” She asked, figuring that was easier than trying to come up with a decent reply to Calliope on the fly.

After a bit, she managed to let Calliope's words sink in a bit better. “You've nothing to worry. We were tired from our trip and hoping to call in early anyhow, so it wasn't a problem. If anything, I hope we didn't take too much liberty by deciding you'd be better off sleeping in a bed rather than attempting to wake you.”

That was part one done. Up to part two. “Don't worry about money, the Faazi Merchant Guild pays me well enough to take all the time I need.” She yawned, exhaling a lot of O2 and breathing back in the CO2. “Sorry, I'm still digesting last night's meal, now that the sun is shining.” She apologised. Where was she again? “Truthfully, your methods concern me a little. Testing on yourself seems rather extreme. Most would test of animals and monsters first, possibly on slaves, prisoners or poor people second, then only consider people of some standing as the last rounds of testing, after something is deemed safe enough. Most would not even consider using themselves as their own test subjects.”

She still wasn't really over how eagerly this cat swallowed dangerous stuff. That said... “However, I'd love to continue working with you. It's been a long time since we were greeted so warmly. I'm not sure if I've ever seen Keone warm up to someone as quickly as to you either, which is saying something. Novice or not, I'd rather enjoy the company I work with than being forced to sit it out with an expert who's the disagreeable sort all the way through.”

She yawned again, even more deeply this time. “Although I'd appreciate if we could take it slow this morning. I've got a lot to digest and you could use a break, it seems. Don't worry, we'll get into full swing again soon enough.” If she could, Euthalia would've headed over to put a reassuring hand on Calliope's shoulder, but she was too deeply rooted to move.

Calliope
short orange hair blue eyes cat ears tail fantasy adventure merchant plants adul s-1209569905.png

Calliope lifted her head and looked at Euthalia. It wasn't the response she had expected, but she would do anything to repair any damage she had done. She wiped her eyes and stepped into the garden next to Euthalia. The morning sun did feel nice. It was warm on her exposed skin. The wind rustled her hair slightly. She took a breath and calmed herself, listening to everything Euthalia had to say before speaking. "Of course we can take it slow this morning, mmhhmm. I rarely begin work before midday, mmhhmm. And I agree completely, mmhhmm. I am not the best at social interaction, especially when it comes to asserting my self or confrontation, mmhhmm. I am grateful that it was you and your companions who took this job, mmhhmm." She smiled and listened to the birds chirp in the trees. "I know my methods are... unconventional, mmhhmm. That is the reason I still choose to work alone instead of under a Master or as part of a guild, mmhhmm. I would not risk harming another living thing by testing potions on it, mmhhmm. That is not to say I don't value my own life, I take many prrrecautions, mmhhmm. But I value all life equally, and won't risk another in my stead, mmhhmm. But the potions still need testing, mmhhmm." She hoped Euthalia could accept that as a friend, but she needed Euthalia to understand that as a business partner. She paused a moment continuing to enjoy the pleasant weather. "What kind of pastries and baked goods do Keone and Islwyn like, hhhmmm? I need to pick something up for breakfast, I'll grab something for them as well while I am out, mmhhmm."

Euthalia Apricot

ekSJs62.jpg[

Sylvari

She was glad to hear they could take it slow, as she couldn't suppress yet another yawn. Too much O2 was building up with how nicely the sun was shining down upon her. It was also good to hear the pleasant first interaction was mutual, although Euthalia didn't have as much of an issue with asserting herself, should it be needed. She just preferred cases where it wasn't needed.

That said, she was a little annoyed by Calliope's reasoning on what she tested her potions on. “{Flesh-ling thoughts...}” She mumbled, then she shook her head. “Sorry about that. It's just... it's not pleasant to be confronted with how different those of flesh tend to think. To me, the very plants you're using for your potions are just as much living beings as the animals you would test them on. If you grind them up to consume without regard for the plant's life, what makes animals that much more special that you don't wish to test on them? You'd kill a plant without second thought, yet you'd not even risk the well-being of an animal?”

She sighed. “Please don't misunderstand, I think your desire not to harm another living thing is commendable. Yet it's clear to me that you do not value the life of plants, otherwise you wouldn't be using them. I think that is agree-able. Just like how not all flesh-lings are equal, not all plants are equal. Some even exist for the purpose of being eaten or used. Yet would it not be the same for animals? Are we, as flora, that much more different from any fauna? It's a topic that I wonder about a lot.”

This had gotten far moodier than the sun should've allowed. “My apologies, that was unprofessional. Please, continue to proceed as you deem fit and forget I said anything. Just the ramblings of a half-awake Sylvari.” She decided to state, then returning to a brighter topic.

“Keone... probably meat-pies, although she likes to try out new things in general. She's more on the carnivorous side and is a fairly big eater. Probably due to how much energy she uses to slither around with such a large body. Islwyn's the opposite. Something light to digest and sweet tasting would probably get her going the most.... Although, I should warn you. Spoil them too much and you won't be able to escape getting hugged and coiled on a daily if not hourly basis.” Euthalia added, attempting to lighten the mood with a joke, even though that was likely exactly what would happen.

She then took out a sachet of coins, which was surprisingly well-filled (Wealth F). “I think this should be enough Rykes to cover breakfast for all of us, so please, use it. Take it as an apology for my earlier rambling and to make-up for the fact I'm requesting us to start slowly today.”

Calliope
short orange hair blue eyes cat ears tail fantasy adventure merchant plants olde s-2292245295.png

Calliope want ed to argue with Euthalia. To tell that her assessment wasn't fair. To tell her that she was wrong. But... She wasn't. Calliope did her best to take as little of each specimen as she could and use it as efficiently as possible to prevent over harvesting, but... she would never cut off a part of an animal to experiment on, the way she would a plant. Even if she did value all life, she did not value their lives equally. She wanted to cry, but she didn't have the right to. She took another breath and let it go, then smiled at Euthalia. "There is no need to apologize, mmhhmm. I am glad you said that, it has given me much to think about, mmhhmm. I did not consider anything outside the scope of my own lens before I spoke, mmhhmm. For that, I am sorry, mmhhmm. I feel there is much I could learn from you, mmhhmm. But, yes perrrhaps it is best set aside for another time, mmhhmm." She hoped she have more chances to discuss such things with Euthalia in the future.

Calliope smiled as Euthalia spoke of her companions again. "A selection of meat-pies for Keone, and some sweet breads or pastries for Islwyn, mmhhmm. I believe I can manage to remember that, mmhhmm." She chuckled at the mention of their reactions. "Perrhaps I could use the experience of such interactions, mmhhm. What is it they say, hhhmmm? Sink or swim, hhhmmm? That seems to be my way, mmhhmm." She almost refused when Euthalia offered the bag of Rykes, but realized this would turn into a battle of consideration, so instead she smiled and took the bag. "Of course, mmhhmm. But I will be prrroviding dinner then, mmhhmm." She smiled at Euthalia again and waved gently before walking around the side of the house and intot he town proper.

She found a market stall still setting up that had plenty of different baked goods. She grabbed several of each meat pie they had; deer, pheasant, and wild boar, as well as several fruit and cinnamon pastries. She wondered if there was anything in particular Euthalia would like, but remembered that she said food didn't work well with her physiology. And she said she had been eating while in the garden. She decided it was best to respect her and not overstep for now, so she paid the men operating the stall and returned to the house with the goods. She found an old serving tray in one of the cabinets and arranged the food in a simple presentation, with the meat pies together and the sweet breads together. Smiling she sat down and waited for the others to join her, taking a small moment to relax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back