• It's complicated.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

White Masquerade

QuirkyAngel's Red Oni
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)

coloring_page_to_walk_out_the_door_dm13534.jpg

( :P ) I don't know. That's why I'm asking you! So tell me you Role-Playing Gurus and Gods, how do you keep people in your role-play? Are there any specific tips, tricks, and trade-secrets you use to keep your story thriving?

Disclaimer!

If you didn't already know, this thread is public. That means your blue-prints will be displayed for all the world to see....I understand this may not be in your best interest, but for the sake of helping others, can't you giants share just a taste of what makes your style so good? What is it that keeps people from walking out?

Bonus Question:

Have you ever walked out on another RP?

My tip:

(Stolen from
@LifeNovel ): If you can manage, keep open another IC in addition to the main story. With that approach, the name of the game is catering to your role-players. The Main Story functions as the go-to role-play, but the 2nd IC can count as a recreation zone. For those a little faster than other and able to post, they can run free with their own little stories, while waiting up on the Main thread.

(Non-stolen trick): It's very simple but has a big impact. If you have time, take a second to color in what a character is saying. Doing it by personality fits quite nicely. If they're a rough type of person, use red. If they're sweet, go for pink or a light purple. If you're not already doing it, try it out. This small change visually separates talk from set-up, and adds a bit of personal flavor to who you're playing as. It makes things more interesting to read, and harder to run-away from. ( ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
Aaaaaaaaahh I feel flattered that you stole from me! And you misspelt *manage :)

My tip would be to actually include others' characters in the story. If they just joined and the rp is already a part of the way through, don't just abandon their character in favor of ones that have already been more established. At least have your characters pay attention to theirs, don't just ignore them. I've seen it happen before, and a lot of RP's can die out this way.

Ceros said:
My tip would be to actually include others' characters in the story. If they just joined and the rp is already a part of the way through, don't just abandon their character in favor of ones that have already been more established. At least have your characters pay attention to theirs, don't just ignore them. I've seen it happen before, and a lot of RP's can die out this way.
I totally agree with you. Happens to me all the time and 7 pages later, they still don't realize :(

=P Yes. It definitely makes things awkward. How do people even feel right doing that O.o

[QUOTE="White Masquerade]=P Yes. It definitely makes things awkward. How do people even feel right doing that O.o

[/QUOTE]
I don't know. I find the worst part is that when you constantly remind them of the situation and they either ignore you and continue talking or just wait until you're ready to quit. I just left a roleplay yesterday I think it was, for that very reason O.o

The key to keeping people in a roleplay? Easy. It all comes down to these:

As a GM:

1. Be involved. I can't tell you the number of times I've dropped out of a roleplay because the GM wasn't answering any questions or another player was ignoring me. It's irritating and people don't like that.

2. Throw plot twists out there. Yeah, you gave them the initial plot and setting but twist it around a bit. Make chapter succession more difficult. Play challenging NPCs. People won't stay if the roleplay is boring.

3. Stay open-minded. Listen to what your players have to say. This is also connected to staying involved with the GMing. Make people not want to leave. Be an amazing GM.

4. Be polite! Don't go power crazy with your GM powers. Just because you're in charge doesn't mean you can be an ass about it.

Have I ever walked out on an RP? Hell fucking yeah I have. I've also kicked other people out for my roleplays. I'm all for staying open-minded, but eventually you gotta consider what's best for the roleplay.

Lessons in GMing by Wreck in less than 5 mins. haha.

Another manner besides the role of GM is the consideration of other players. In past games I have had players have their characters keeping the roleplay alive but only between them two writing like two pages and then have them continue onto the next event without even granting the other players a chance to reply.

@Wreck

I love the honesty with walking out on one. The tip about playing challenging NPCS! Thank you for that! Never really considered it. I assumed the quicker the challenge was over, the better O.o

@LifeNovel

=P I was trying to figure that, and the extra IC idea solved that perfectly xD

A method that has helped me keep an RP alive for more than a few months now is to disregard the OOC thread completely, except for the important annoucements that affect the RP, and go ahead and make a group PM with everyone, where they can literally go wild. In a public thread, such as the OOC, people tend to inhibit themselves, while in a PM, they relax, because they know they are surrounded by like-minded people and feel better. Some sort of family bond happens, you know?

Ayl said:
A method that has helped me keep an RP alive for more than a few months now is to disregard the OOC thread completely, except for the important annoucements that affect the RP, and go ahead and make a group PM with everyone, where they can literally go wild. In a public thread, such as the OOC, people tend to inhibit themselves, while in a PM, they relax, because they know they are surrounded by like-minded people and feel better. Some sort of family bond happens, you know?
Really now? Do explain, I've never heard this before. The OOCs I've jumped it at random are always on the crazy side. They they have been the casual ones. Are you talking about the detailed ones?

[QUOTE="White Masquerade]Really now? Do explain, I've never heard this before. The OOCs I've jumped it at random are always on the crazy side. They they have been the casual ones. Are you talking about the detailed ones?

[/QUOTE]
A lot of people like to act silly, whether to blow steam or simply to unwind. Doing that in a public OOC thread, where other people might see the result of their unwinding may not be to their liking. Afterall, you wouldn't share some of your most best-kept secrets to just ANYONE, would you? So, a private place, like a PM, would make them feel more open towards the prospect of acting silly or sharing burdens that they can no longer keep to themselves and must talk about. It helps creates bonds between people, make them feel closer and that can also help you, as a GM, to administer your game to include their characters, since the players will most likely reveal their plans for their characters, where they can also be helped by you or the others. Subplots can be created, both IC and OOC interaction are elevated, etc. You get the point.

Ayl said:
A lot of people like to act silly, whether to blow steam or simply to unwind. Doing that in a public OOC thread, where other people might see the result of their unwinding may not be to their liking. Afterall, you wouldn't share some of your most best-kept secrets to just ANYONE, would you? So, a private place, like a PM, would make them feel more open towards the prospect of acting silly or sharing burdens that they can no longer keep to themselves and must talk about. It helps creates bonds between people, make them feel closer and that can also help you, as a GM, to administer your game to include their characters, since the players will most likely reveal their plans for their characters, where they can also be helped by you or the others. Subplots can be created, both IC and OOC interaction are elevated, etc. You get the point.
So tell me. What if the roleplay has 15, 20, 30 people? You include them all or pick and choose? As for plans being revealed for characters, I don't know how I feel about that. I know the story is a joint creation, but doesn't some of the magic come from being surprised.

[QUOTE="White Masquerade]So tell me. What if the roleplay has 15, 20, 30 people? You include them all or pick and choose? As for plans being revealed for characters, I don't know how I feel about that. I know the story is a joint creation, but doesn't some of the magic come from being surprised.

[/QUOTE]
Yes. Actually, this RP of mine I spoke of, which lasted 7-8 months or so, had 16 people in it. They were all included in the OOC PM group. I don't discriminate. I believe all my players have the right to manifest themselves as they wish. I remember going to sleep and waking up to 30+ pages of PMs in the group, which I read integrally, and literally laugh 'till my jaws went numb. It is amazing what funny stuff people sprout when their inhibitions are gone.

As for the revealing, I probably phrased that wrong, since I didn't mean they would tell me EVERYTHING they had in mind. Just some hints as to what their ideas were, where I would contribute by also giving hints about what I had in mind for the overall progress of the RP. There, the magic coming from surprise was kept and the players still had their interest maintained. I would also tease my players sometimes, saying I would do crazy stuff just to see their reaction. It was good feedback to apply to the game later on!

I have a few big ones.

Spontaneity. Throw some stuff into the mix. Don't even make a big plan for it, just throw it in. When the PCs are getting a bit big for their britches then kick em down a flight of stairs.

Challenge. You want people hooked? Challenge them. Don't give them this destined to win hero complex. Every one of my RPs come with a large potential of ending bad. Like one of them has the potential for for the entire world to fall to evil. People tend to become involved in a challenge just to beat it, so if you find the right level of difficulty then people stick around.

Back to spontaneity, injuries. Some people do dislike this but I find spontaneous injury sets the atmosphere of the RP to a more realistic position.

And regulation. Don't let people get away with stupid stuff. Just recently in an RP I'm co running one guys two characters were blocking a flurry of arrows with swords and one girls character tried to run out of cover and escape through the flurry of arrows.

So I hit the two sword blockers with an explosive arrow each that sent them through the air to land behind cover while the runner got an arrow in the calf!

I've always found that people dislike watching others get away with stupid stuff like that.

And on the subject of regulation. I join powers RPs a lot. This is an area highly in need of regulation. If you don't regulate people on their powers then people will walk. I walked from one due to a lack of regulation recently.

Anyways that's all I have to share atm!

Last edited by a moderator:
Atom said:
I have a few big ones.
Spontaneity. Throw some stuff into the mix. Don't even make a big plan for it, just throw it in. When the PCs are getting a bit big for their britches then kick em down a flight of stairs.

Challenge. You want people hooked? Challenge them. Don't give them this destined to win hero complex. Every one of my RPs come with a large potential of ending bad. Like one of them has the potential for for the entire world to fall to evil. People tend to become involved in a challenge just to beat it, so if you find the right level of difficulty then people stick around.

Back to spontaneity, injuries. Some people do dislike this but I find spontaneous injury sets the atmosphere of the RP to a more realistic position.

And regulation. Don't let people get away with stupid stuff. Just recently in an RP I'm co running one guys two characters were blocking a flurry of arrows with swords and one girls character tried to run out of cover and escape through the flurry of arrows.

So I hit the two sword blockers with an explosive arrow each that sent them through the air to land behind cover while the runner got an arrow in the calf!

I've always found that people dislike watching others get away with stupid stuff like that.

And on the subject of regulation. I join powers RPs a lot. This is an area highly in need of regulation. If you don't regulate people on there powers then people will walk. I walked from one due to a lack of regulation recently.

Anyways that's all I have to share atm!
Whoo. Deep breath. Here we go. You walked into a murky, unexplored field here. I've seen almost nothing on it. How do you decide when enough is enough winning? Is it just a random whim when to give the PC's a few cuts?

On the subject of injuries, explain what you. You really don't have problems giving injuries to players? I know there's a few that might not take too kindly to that.

[QUOTE="White Masquerade]Whoo. Deep breath. Here we go. You walked into a murky, unexplored field here. I've seen almost nothing on it. How do you decide when enough is enough winning? Is it just a random whim when to give the PC's a few cuts?
On the subject of injuries, explain what you. You really don't have problems giving injuries to players? I know there's a few that might not take too kindly to that.

[/QUOTE]
It varies actually on when. Just depends on how well they're doing really.

As for giving injuries, I don't have a problem with it. It's just the perspective that makes it sound bad though. I'll injure someone but never majorly without letting them know. Like the arrow I gave to someones calf, it was a clean shot, nothing major hit, and in a world with magic so healing won't be an issue.

I'll give players minor injuries at the most.

Atom said:
It varies actually on when. Just depends on how well they're doing really.
As for giving injuries, I don't have a problem with it. It's just the perspective that makes it sound bad though. I'll injure someone but never majorly without letting them know. Like the arrow I gave to someones calf, it was a clean shot, nothing major hit, and in a world with magic so healing won't be an issue.

I'll give players minor injuries at the most.
Okay. That's what I was thinking. If you ever find a good way to give grave injuries, please let us know. It's an interesting subject you're on. Precarious, but interesting.

I do grave injuries occasionally. It's been awhile though but I gave one when a guy was trying to 1V6 a group of well armed guards.

I stabbed him in the gut lol

He didn't die or anything but it warned him that I reward stupid acts like that with injury. That's probably the only time I've done it without warning or permission. Other than that I usually warn someone ahead of time. And as for kicking PCs down a notch I'm actually about to do that in an RP. One of the PCs hasn't had anything go wrong and I've noticed a problem with his magical use. So after a bandit encounter went south for the bandits I deved an event centering around the party of people involved. I doubt any of them will read this so..

The bandit group was slaughtered, all but the leader who I had mess up the leg on my character, two really deep and long gashes on his thigh. Now the group has moved to the city and were followed by the leader. Just last night I had a "mysterious man" bump into the PC who was getting a bit high and knock his bag down. He picked it up, planted an object in it without being seen and gave it back.

Before that he'd stolen an expensive jewel from a shop and gave the owner a description of the PC. He threatened the owners life to tell the guards that description.

So I'm basically getting him jailed and it'll be up to my guy and the other PCs to prove his innocence while avoiding the other traps the bandit leader will be laying out.

It's a bit of character development, knocking a PC down, and story creation.

I think the best way to put injuries though is this. PCs are not automatically better than NPCs. They will encounter realistic NPCs that will kick their ass if they don't take the situation correctly. Am I explaining this clearly? I already know I'm kind of all over the place lol.

Atom said:
I do grave injuries occasionally. It's been awhile though but I gave one when a guy was trying to 1V6 a group of well armed guards.
I stabbed him in the gut lol

He didn't die or anything but it warned him that I reward stupid acts like that with injury. That's probably the only time I've done it without warning or permission. Other than that I usually warn someone ahead of time. And as for kicking PCs down a notch I'm actually about to do that in an RP. One of the PCs hasn't had anything go wrong and I've noticed a problem with his magical use. So after a bandit encounter went south for the bandits I deved an event centering around the party of people involved. I doubt any of them will read this so..

The bandit group was slaughtered, all but the leader who I had mess up the leg on my character, two really deep and long gashes on his thigh. Now the group has moved to the city and were followed by the leader. Just last night I had a "mysterious man" bump into the PC who was getting a bit high and knock his bag down. He picked it up, planted an object in it without being seen and gave it back.

Before that he'd stolen an expensive jewel from a shop and gave the owner a description of the PC. He threatened the owners life to tell the guards that description.

So I'm basically getting him jailed and it'll be up to my guy and the other PCs to prove his innocence while avoiding the other traps the bandit leader will be laying out.

It's a bit of character development, knocking a PC down, and story creation.

I think the best way to put injuries though is this. PCs are not automatically better than NPCs. They will encounter realistic NPCs that will kick their ass if they don't take the situation correctly. Am I explaining this clearly? I already know I'm kind of all over the place lol.
No, no. Your explanation was perfectly fine. It's cool. Very cool. Still a bit iffy about the character injuries part, but the NPC challenge you have there was set up nicely. To mix it and hit home, if you're feeling frisky, you could try tying in that kind of punishment with someone/something from that character's past (^.^). It'll throw them for a loop:

"What? What? They actually read my background??" xD .

I have to say, I find it ironic that you, of all people Atom, are commenting on how to keep people in a role play. However, I must admit, you have some pretty decent looking RPs. Some of the topics seem quite interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back