Exalted III: Poorly-Named Game

Huh, when you put it like that, I guess we really are running an 'evil' champaign. ( :P )

Well, it's all for the good of the people! We're Lawgivers, we're going to govern them well whether they like it or not!

(actual quote from Nobody's last incarnation, shortly before the Usurpation)

I think Nobody heard about some two-koku tyrant trying to control the flow of all these baubles and thought it might be a good haul, and met Kyros here? I'll have been casing the joint, or possibly just fencing what I've got if we already got the guy.

Kyros has been spending his time fortifying the Manse to act as his own personal fortress. Both by using his demons (they get one warning, then they get eaten) and using Silent Dreams of Words and Nightmares to influence prominent people in to encouraging others to stay away.

Currently he's about halfway done with fully refurbishing the Manse, and begin setting up a laboratory in the upper floors as well as a dedicated summoning circle in the basement.

As for how we know each other, I'm fine with us having bumped in to each other on the island. Kyros may be a bit of a recluse at the moment, but he's not a total shut-in.

Alright. And now he's living at your Manse, I guess?

Probably don't need much of a reason for that. There's safety in numbers, particularly when you're Anathema.

Regarding the two-koku tyrant...how about we say that the Terrestrial captain who plotted the almost-safe path to the island has set herself up to control almost all commerce between the island and the rest of Creation. Ships not working for her tend to disappear...which might be her fault, or might just be because the seas here are dangerous. In any case she's using her near-monopoly to make disgusting amounts of money.

Speaking of the dangerous seas...one of you might wanna take a bit of Sail. Without it, whenever you leave the island, you'll be at the mercy of whoever's commanding your ship.

Anyway, I know government-building is the general direction we settled on. Neither of you looks particularly good at that, but maybe that'll make it more interesting. Anything else you wanna focus on during this game?

Looking at your Intimacies, you both like money. Would it be fair to say that your motivation here is to become rich and powerful away from the eyes and armies of the Realm?

I'm prepared to put up a first IC post tomorrow. Should I throw events at you, or would you rather take the initiative?

Sanctaphrax said:
Alright. And now he's living at your Manse, I guess?
That works for me, although I thought Nobody was a lady?

Sanctaphrax said:
Regarding the two-koku tyrant...how about we say that the Terrestrial captain who plotted the almost-safe path to the island has set herself up to control almost all commerce between the island and the rest of Creation. Ships not working for her tend to disappear...which might be her fault, or might just be because the seas here are dangerous. In any case she's using her near-monopoly to make disgusting amounts of money.
I have no problem with this, sounds like it could be interesting.

Sanctaphrax said:
Speaking of the dangerous seas...one of you might wanna take a bit of Sail. Without it, whenever you leave the island, you'll be at the mercy of whoever's commanding your ship.
I do keep a pair of Agata around, if that helps.

Sanctaphrax said:
Anyway, I know government-building is the general direction we settled on. Neither of you looks particularly good at that, but maybe that'll make it more interesting. Anything else you wanna focus on during this game?

Looking at your Intimacies, you both like money. Would it be fair to say that your motivation here is to become rich and powerful away from the eyes and armies of the Realm?
I kinda wanna do the whole 'pulp sorcerer' thing. Build a reputation as a person to be feared and respected, investigate ruined First Age sites for relics or reagents to enhance my sorcerous power, engage in political intrigue, etc.

For Kyros, I see the nation building part is more of a side effect than his presence than a direct cause. A powerful sorcerer takes up residence in town, with people coming to him asking for spells and workings in exchange for favors, good and services. This mutually beneficial relationship grows along with the size of the town, with people visiting and staying both for the mystical services he can provide, but also for the indirect 'protection' that he provides by virtue of the fact that he's so close by.

For him, it's less about wealth, and more about the creature comforts. Granted, the two do go hand in hand, but he's not really a "money money money!" kinda guy. Becoming powerful and influential away from The Realm is definitely accurate, though.

Sanctaphrax said:
I'm prepared to put up a first IC post tomorrow. Should I throw events at you, or would you rather take the initiative?
A mix, I think. Plot threads are nice because they give us a focus, but it's always nice to be able to drive the story as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
JayTee said:
That works for me, although I thought Nobody was a lady?
Nobody/Tollens uses the singular they, partially to obscure their birth gender and partially because they are a they.

I do keep a pair of Agata around, if that helps.
I can shuffle a little into Sail, take a drop in Melee/Investigation. Should I go for Salty Dog Method or Ship-Claiming Stance?

A mix, I think. Plot threads are nice because they give us a focus, but it's always nice to be able to drive the story as well.
I'll defer to you, since I don't really have any experience with PbP.

I recommend Salty Dog Method.

Could you guys post your characters in the Character Sign-Up tab?

Will put up the first IC post now.

I'm guessing Red Wire is either the town leader or the Dragon-Blooded that was mentioned earlier?

Town leader, I think. Surely a Dragonblooded wouldn't come to meet the Anathema with a trade caravan herself.

Also, the roller has pierced my cunning username disguise. Foiled again!

Not quite leader; the place is almost anarchistic. To quote myself:

Sanctaphrax said:
-Red Wire, a Guildswoman originally from the Blessed Isle. Almost suicidally brave, a skilled merchant, and resourceful enough to survive the crazy things she does. Aims to become a factor, will stop at little to do so.
She's a prominent citizen, though.

I look forward to that horrible little carving's reveal as the grand villain. Man, I hate those sort of things, but, like, in a loving way.

More SCP, or those little clapping monkeys in Fallout 4. God I hate those. Especially the explosive ones.

...Hey, buy the statue, so we can attach it to a bomb.

Naw, I'll let it loose in to the wild so it comes back as a major antagonist later. Think of the XP!

(Unless Sanctaphrax will give us lots of bonus XP for preemptively stopping a major threat before it begins)

What are these prices in terms of Resources? I can never get the hang of fictional economy.

Also, let's put a bomb on that pain stone. It goes boom, solid pain shrapnel goes everywhere. I'm just saying.

Actually, we should definitely buy the rainbow cloth, if only to piss off Pa-El. We can make it our flag when we take the castle and conquer the island. Or, you know, rule peacefully or whatever.

Kyros has Resources 2, which is about 128 Koku, equivalent to what a high ranking government official has. Both the cloth and the pain stone together is slightly more than half my net worth at the moment. I'm going to see if I can negotiate her down.

I'm probably going to use the pain stone as a focus for a sorcerous ward to keep people away from the Manse. Not sure what I'd do with the cloth, but there's a lot of potential for magical shenanigans with "the idea of sunlight."

Also, I'm calling bullshit on that roll you just made. The dice roller on this site is notorious for rolling low at times. (> :P )

What can I say, clearly the Gold Faction smiles upon me.

Damn, that is a lot. If we pool our Resources it'll be a quarter of our wealth. Let's just get the pain stone, and see if we can put a hold or something on the cloth.

Edit: Actually, I think I'm going to stick with the caravan and try to sneak in to case Pa-El. If you can think of some reason to come along, it might be handy; try offering a blood ape as bodyguard for the caravan, it takes care of one of the tasks and offers a chance to spread worrying rumors about her.

Just to be clear: your blood ape bodyguard is immaterial, right? I've been assuming so.

If you wanna follow the caravan sneakily, you'll have to roll again. But they won't do anything to stop you from tagging along openly until they meet with customers. They might want privacy then.

Kinda surprised you didn't just steal the stuff.

Something I should've asked earlier: what language does Kyros speak? And is his illiteracy intentional?

Naw, no reason to piss them off. Let's all be friends and kick out Pa-El.

Which is to say, really, that Red Wire would know the culprit if the exact things Kyros was looking at disappeared, but anyone could have dipped into her moneybags.

Worth mentioning that Red Wire will distribute some pay immediately after leaving the meeting with Kyros. 4 koku for each of her five employees. So if you just rob her, you'll only get 25.5 koku back.

Rereading, it looks like the blood ape was material. Probably should've affected the scene...ah well. Red Wire's fearless anyway. And her people had almost no lines.

Yeah, the Blood Ape was material. I was intending to incorporate it in to the stunt, what with it raising it's hackles and letting out a low growl, but it slipped my mind.

Kyro's illiteracy is a result of my absentmindedness. I suppose my first few bits of XP will go to retroactively making him fluent in Seatongue and Old Realm.

Sorry for the delay, work is running me ragged lately. Here's a rough outline of the artifact's powers. Feedback greatly welcome, as I wrote all this up pretty much on the spot.

Rainbow cloth:

When worn like a robe, it shifts in to it's Dawn configuration of lavender and saffron, granting +3 to Strength and Charisma rolls.

When worn like a scarf, it shifts in to it's Night configuration of violet and grey, granting +3 Dexterity and Manipulation rolls.

When worn like a sash, it shifts in to it's Twilight configuration of orange and black, granting +3 to Perception and Intelligence rolls.

Pain stone:

In it's alternate mode, characters make a Wits + Integrity roll vs a difficulty based on their proximity to the stone (close range 5, short range 3, medium range 1). Failure means they suffer an external penalty equal to the difficulty they rolled against to all actions.

Can you cut it in half? You can wear it for Dawn/Twilight and I'll keep a Night-configuration scarf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back