Exalted Comic Goodness / Preview

Andrew02 said:
I dunno. GCG or whoever dropped the ball with Breeding. It's one of those things that really every DB needs to take, and it skews these kinds of comparisons badly. A DB without Breeding is the illegitimate love child of some young punk sowing his wild oats with a gutterslut of Creation. I can't think of an adequate way to account for charms or backgrounds like that except to take an equal amount of bonus points and see how far each type of Exalt could get if they spent purely for big pools of essence.
But that's just it... if I was going for a realm dynast character, I would have breeding up the ying yan.

However, I feel that the only -fair- comparison to be had when comparing exalts of all stripes is to go for the bottom baseline.

So, Solar as is. Renegade Abyssals. Casteless Lunars. Ronin Sidereals. Outcaste Dragonblooded.... as that way it's even. No social background to modify the characters, pumping up the characters.

Unless, there is some rule on what a typical First Age solar chargen would be like, complete with backgrounds that help said Solar be better.

I hardly consider Breeding a social background (that'd be something more like Backing or Influence). It doesn't seem very fair to go for the "bottom baseline," since you're not cutting anything from the Solars. If memory serves, Renegades and Ronin in particular are penalized to levels below a starting Solar in terms of background points and ability points.

Even platform

Andrew02 said:
I hardly consider Breeding a social background (that'd be something more like Backing or Influence). It doesn't seem very fair to go for the "bottom baseline," since you're not cutting anything from the Solars. If memory serves, Renegades and Ronin in particular are penalized to levels below a starting Solar in terms of background points and ability points.
But that's just it... Ronin Sidereals and Renegade Abyssals are working without any framework just like Solars are.

Solars, as they are, are operating with no silver pack, no death lords, no realm, no heavenly bureaucracy. Solars have had EVERYTHING cut from them in the way that outcaste dragonblooded, renegade abyssals, rornin sidereals and casteless lunars would.

Re: Even platform

Haku said:
But that's just it... Ronin Sidereals and Renegade Abyssals are working without any framework just like Solars are.
They are not as capable of purchasing the backgrounds to reflect that a Solar MAY be operating within a framework (even if it is not one dominated by supernaturals such as the Heavenly Bureaucracy, Deathlord patronage, or Silver Pact are). Furthermore, cutting the backgrounds in this fashion does nothing to alleviate the concerns over Essence Engorgement Technique. Renegades have only 5 background points to spend.

It does not seem like you are getting every Exalt type on an even footing at all, Haku.

It's close enough for government work.

Unless, they come up with a mod for what Solars were like at chargen during the First Age, you have to deduce the others to what the Solars experience, and that is without any social support.

And in most of the cases, they suffer -worse- then Solars, yes... but then Solars at chargen don't exactly have alot to work with, do they?

1) These characters could not look more stereotypical.

2) They all suck, where are Exalts like the Slug?  The Slug is one of the few Exalts who is actually cool, unlike the lame signature characters White Wolf pumps out like a lameness factory.

Also, whatever happened to fucking sleeves, and how did these women get armor custom made to FIT THEIR BREASTS?  

I like Exalted, I'm just more and more starting to despise the people that produced it, as well as those who draw for it.

Joseph said:
Also, whatever happened to fucking sleeves, and how did these women get armor custom made to FIT THEIR BREASTS?  
I like Exalted, I'm just more and more starting to despise the people that produced it, as well as those who draw for it.
They..had it custom made..?

Joseph said:
2) They all suck, where are Exalts like the Slug?  The Slug is one of the few Exalts who is actually cool, unlike the lame signature characters White Wolf pumps out like a lameness factory.
Who was the slug, again?

The Slug is the Wood Aspected Dragon-Blooded in the Antagonist chapter of the Corebook. Not the Fire-Guy with the eye-patch and khatar, but the other one.

And . . . H. Jade and Jasara look almost exactly alike. It's like they drew one woman's body, copied and pasted it, and then filled out all of the details.

Andrew02 said:
The Slug is the Wood Aspected Dragon-Blooded in the Antagonist chapter of the Corebook. Not the Fire-Guy with the eye-patch and khatar, but the other one.
Me check out when home.

Kind of going back to an earlier post on here concerning the rarity of the Chosen, I hope that it doesn't end up like old WW games where the mortals were the minorities. I know in many game sessions I have seen it happen even for Exalted.

Coyotekin said:
Kind of going back to an earlier post on here concerning the rarity of the Chosen, I hope that it doesn't end up like old WW games where the mortals were the minorities. I know in many game sessions I have seen it happen even for Exalted.
That's one of the most classical mistakes Sts make. It's most damaging to WoD and DA games, though, because it completely breaks the whole solitude/loneliness feel of the scenario. I've went to sewers so corwded with Nosferatu/Bone Gnawers/Disgusting sewer spirits that it almost needed traffic lights.

Coyotekin said:
Kind of going back to an earlier post on here concerning the rarity of the Chosen' date=' I hope that it doesn't end up like old WW games where the mortals were the minorities. I know in many game sessions I have seen it happen even for Exalted.[/quote']
That's one of the most classical mistakes Sts make. It's most damaging to WoD and DA games, though, because it completely breaks the whole solitude/loneliness feel of the scenario. I've went to sewers so corwded with Nosferatu/Bone Gnawers/Disgusting sewer spirits that it almost needed traffic lights.
I don't think most STs make this mistake.  Every Story I have played in had mortals as the majority.

However, mortals also tend to be mere window dressing to the Exalted, and the Story tends to FOCUS on the Exalts (and other powerful beings) involved.  Thus, while most important NPCs tend to be beings of power, that doesn't mean Storytellers are "overpopulating the world with Exalts," it just means the non-Exalts/powerful beings simply aren't worth mentioning in many cases.

Joseph said:
Coyotekin said:
Kind of going back to an earlier post on here concerning the rarity of the Chosen' date=' I hope that it doesn't end up like old WW games where the mortals were the minorities. I know in many game sessions I have seen it happen even for Exalted.[/quote']
I don't think most STs make this mistake.  Every Story I have played in had mortals as the majority.

However, mortals also tend to be mere window dressing to the Exalted, and the Story tends to FOCUS on the Exalts (and other powerful beings) involved.  Thus, while most important NPCs tend to be beings of power, that doesn't mean Storytellers are "overpopulating the world with Exalts," it just means the non-Exalts/powerful beings simply aren't worth mentioning in many cases.
No that's not it. I've actually played with STs who thought every all supernatural being in the world were each other's old acquaintances. Mages ran into Werewolves and talked about metaphysics... That kind of stuff.

The supernatural society in most WW games is fairly inexistent. Most supernaturals have only mild knowledge of their own societies workings, and usually no reason at all to believe other kind of supernaturals might exist. (except for Werewolves, who run wildly killing everything they find "in the name of Gaia". Pfff... Stupid doggies.)

Chances are, I've only played with crappy STs.

Most supernaturals have only mild knowledge of their own societies workings' date=' and usually no reason at all to believe other kind of supernaturals might exist. [/quote']
Why do the Supernatural books tend to have sections about the common views of that supernatural type with regards to other supernatural types then?  If anything, the books point out that all the supernatural types seem to know about one another, and in moderate detail.  Werewolves and Vampires are told about each other, TRADITIONS Mages seem to know plenty about both of the previous mentioned types (Technocracy, for reasons unknown, seems much less in the know).  Wraiths assuredly know just about every group simply because they SEE so much, and Changelings, well... almost every group has a view that says "Stay the fuck away from the Fae, they're crazy!" and Changelings have memories of the other supernatural types as Prodigal Fae.

Needless to say, I think the supernatural types in the old World of Darkness all have very, very good reason to know about one another, much less believe in one another.  The books say as much.

The supernatural society in most WW games is fairly inexistent. Most supernaturals have only mild knowledge of their own societies workings, and usually no reason at all to believe other kind of supernaturals might exist.
I'm having difficulty seeing this applied to Exalted, though. I am having difficulty seeing how this helps the case that "it is a mistake of STs to place great emphasis on supernatural beings (Exalts, gods, ghosts, elementals, etc.) in Exalted, which might create the impression supernatural beings outnumber mortals."

It shouldn't be that hard to find the right balance.

After all, mortals in certain games are literally no more then a backdrop for an exalted game. And you're the fucking chosen of the UcS... you're suppose to make waves. Reality is suppose to be told to get bent, you're at the start of your legend. Draw your fellow solars and exalts towards your group.

Be a proper god-demon of yore.

This is of course, if you don't get stomped down hard by the wyldhunt.

And remember, an abundance of spirits/fey/what have you in your area... could be a plot point that your ST is dangling in front of you... as in the WHY are they there... is there something of value in the area, is there safety from some horror elsewhere... play with it.

And remember... the little gods are in just about everything in Creation.

EDIT - minor spelling correction

You just have to find a healthy balance. Sometimes easier said than done when you consider the Animist ideals where everything in Creation had  spirit dwelling within or about.

Part 4 of 'Inside the Grauntlet', by Zub of UDON is out. In it, we lists where and when Exalted comic #0 can be gotten, along with online locales for those of us not able to go to conventions wher #0 is being sold.

Oh yeah, there's also a cover art in that article.

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthr ... adid=35453

For those curious as to the previouse articles, check out the first post in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back