English isn't my first language, and I'm looking for help regarding grammar.

Just A Potato

Master of all things video games and cuddles.
Hello!

I'm looking for someone who knows what they're doing in regards to grammar. English isn't my first language, and while I've worked really hard to become fairly proficient in the language itself, I'm having trouble with the finer points of grammar.

That being said, I definitely have looked into tutorials online, but it's still flying over my head.

So what I'm looking for is an RP partner, or just someone looking to chat, who will correct my grammar when I'm wrong.

I'm struggling A LOT with semi colons and dashes.

Thank you all so much!

I uh, don't think you need it?

Like, just from reading your post, I can't see any grammatical errors at all. Heck, a lot of it is better than what some native speakers manage.

If your main focus is dashes and semicolons, I wouldn't worry about it too much. They're used so rarely in everyday english that a lot of people forget they even exist sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love grammar, so I'd love to help you!

Semi-colons are grammatical replacements for conjunctions and only to be used when a sentence logically relates to the last.

Dashes are two hyphens (--) that are to be used when interrupting a sentence.

Hyphens are (-) and only to be used when joining two words (like two nouns working as adjectives or a special compound noun.)

Semicolons are used for two complete sentences in lieu of a period,but that's a pain in the ass to use. So it's not used very much. As for the rest of the post? I feel like you've got a run on in there,but it might just be my own preferences telling me that you need a period in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Killigrew, I am also willing to help you out. ^^ She has given fine explanations for you.  Even though English is my first language, I still struggle with some elements of it as well.  I use this browser tool called Grammarly.  You can install it for free (and there are options to subscribe for more stuff).  It is a spell check and grammar tool in one and it is very accurate.

Grammar is a general pain in the ass but you've got it down it seems. As explained before, beware of run-on sentences, they are the bane to my existence.

I used to own and run a small literary publishing company. Here are some tips about both things from my former Editing Director.

When editing we used the Chicago Manual of Style. For those wishing to read it, edition 16 is the latest version. This is more or less the bible for fiction editing.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm also open to helping more! ^.^

Semi-colons

The semicolon ( ; ) is one of my favorite parts of punctuation. Unfortunately, it’s another commonly misused tool.

Before we get into the uses, let’s take a look at just what a semicolon is. Thinking about this now might help you decide when to use it later.

A semicolon is a period above a comma. This means that it does the job of both a period and a comma. It comes to a stop at the end of a sentence, as a period does, but it also acts as a brief pause, as a comma does. Now that we know this, let’s look at its uses.

There are two ways to use a semicolon.

1. When connecting two sentences.
2. When separating detailed lists.

When connecting two sentences:

The only thing that belongs on either side of a semicolon is a full sentence. That means the sentence before AND after the semicolon need to be able to stand on their own. The semicolon simply shows the reader that the two sentences either compliment or contrast each other closely. Since they’re being linked, the word after a semicolon will not be capitalized.

Examples:

Separate sentences:
The man was afraid. He had never met a wizard before.
Since the man is afraid because he had never met a wizard before, these two sentences compliment each other and can be linked more closely.
With a semicolon:
The man was afraid; he had never met a wizard before.

Separate sentences:
He said it was hard. I found it to be easy.
Since the two sentences are both discussing the difficulty of the same thing, they contrast each other nicely and can be linked more closely.
With a semicolon:
He said it was hard; I found it to be easy.

When separating detailed lists:

In this instance, the semicolon acts as a sort of super-comma. Sometimes, you need to list multiple things that have clauses or use commas in their descriptions. If you separated these list items with simple commas, the entire sentence would be mangled and overrun by the commas. Most of the time, this is used when naming cities and states or countries.

Examples:

The cruise took us to exotic locations such as Venice, Italy; Pula, Croatia; Budva, Montenegro; and Piran, Slovenia.
Since each of the locations in the list have commas of their own, the semicolons act as a super-comma, allowing the separate locations to be clear and concise. Had we used regular commas, it would have looked like eight different places instead of four.

The island was full of broken, lifeless souls; blackened, twisted, dead or dying trees; and feral animals with a taste for blood.
Since many parts of this list are full of commas of their own, it’s acceptable to use semicolons to break up the segments. A lot of authors are unaware that they can use lists this way. Because of that, you won’t see this as frequently.

Hyphens

A hyphen ( - ) is a short dash that connects two or more words. Never use spaces around hyphens.

To type a hyphen, just hit the - key on your keyboard; it's between the 0 and = keys.

When to use a hyphen:

To connect compound adjectives/adverbs.

* Connect adjectives and adverbs that form a single idea. If you can't use both words separately to describe the noun or verb, they need a hyphen. A quick test is to put the word 'and' between the words; if they don't make sense, use a hyphen.
* Do NOT use a hyphen between ADVERBS that end in -ly or the word 'very.' This only applies to adverbs.
Examples:
* brown-butter sauce
* wood-framed window
* three-meat pizza
*high-flying jet

To connect ages, numbers, and fractions.

* Use hyphens in ages when it's used as a compound adjective, such as "I have a five-year-old son, a seven-year-old son, and a two-year-old daughter."
* Use hyphens in double-digit numbers from twenty-one to ninety-nine.
* Use hyphens in fractions, such as "I need one and two-thirds cups of milk and one-half cup of oil."

On hyphenated last names.

Examples:
* Christopher Mintz-Plasse
* Sasha Jones-Parker

For clarity.

* You may want to use a hyphen when using a prefix that ends in the same letter as the word begins, such as "anti-inflammatory" or "pre-election."
* You should use a hyphen when adding a prefix that may cause confusion with an existing word, such as "I re-marked my answers" as opposed to "I remarked my answers."
* Use a hyphen when the sentence meaning is ambiguous, such as "I am a little known author" as opposed to "I am a little-known author."
* Use a hyphen between prefixes and proper nouns, such as "pre-Christian era" or "mid-April." Note that only the proper noun is capitalized, not the prefix.

Do NOT use a hyphen between words in a proper noun, such as Academy Award, World War II, or North American.

Em-Dashes

An em-dash ( — ) is a long dash that sets phrases apart in a sentence. You won't use spaces around em-dashes, but they can be used at the beginning or end of sentences.

To type an em-dash, hold down the ALT key and type 0151 on your number pad. In Microsoft Word, you can also hold CTRL and ALT and hit the hyphen ( - ) on your number pad.
(If you don't have a number pad, Microsoft Word also has the option to insert an em-dash through the Symbols feature. Go to Insert > Symbols > Special Characters.)

Em-dashes are used in three main situations.

As a way to insert extra information mid-sentence. They can also be used to set apart a phrase or list at the end of a sentence.
Examples:
* My friend—if I can even call her that—didn't come to my birthday party.
* I knew it wasn't the end of the world—though it sure felt like it.
* There were just a few things I still needed—duct tape, rope, and matches.

To interrupt dialogue. They can be used at the end of dialogue that is being interrupted or in the middle to show an action taking place. (See "Interrupting Dialogue" for more detailed information.)
Examples:
* "I'm sorry, okay? I wasn't trying to—" She slammed her hands on the table, interrupting his half-hearted apology.
* "I'm not sure you fully realize"—he swept his arm out, gesturing at the broken city below—"the gravity of the situation."

To list things, much the same as a bulleted list.
Examples:
Things to do today:
—Wash the dishes
—Fold the laundry
—Take out the trash
—Finish formatting the next release
—Feed the kids lunch
—Check on the editors ;)

En-Dashes

An en-dash ( – ) is a medium-length dash that connects the beginning and end of a range or distance. Never use spaces around en-dashes.

To type an en-dash, hold down the ALT key and type 0150 on your number pad. In Microsoft Word, you can also hold CTRL and hit the hyphen ( - ) on your number pad.
(If you don't have a number pad, Microsoft Word also has the option to insert an en-dash through the Symbols feature. Go to Insert > Symbols > Special Characters.)

Examples:

Years.
* 1987–2016

Months.
* January–June

Days.
* Monday–Friday

Numbers.
* 6–10

The Chicago Manual also lists using an en-dash when attaching a prefix to an open compound proper noun, such as "pre–World War II." This is because it has a bigger job to do than a simple hyphen, since we can't hyphenate World War II (because it's a proper noun). However, many publishers just use a hyphen in this instance because it's simpler (and I have to admit, it's an obscure rule to remember.) If you remember to do this, great, but otherwise a hyphen is fine.

I uh, don't think you need it?

Like, just from reading your post, I can't see any grammatical errors at all. Heck, a lot of it is better than what some native speakers manage.

If your main focus is dashes and semicolons, I wouldn't worry about it too much. They're used so rarely in everyday english that a lot of people forget they even exist sometimes.

Flattering as that is, I think I'd still like to improve. Thank you though! You really boosted my confidence!

I love grammar, so I'd love to help you!

Semi-colons are grammatical replacements for conjunctions and only to be used when a sentence logically relates to the last.

Dashes are two hyphens (--) that are to be used when interrupting a sentence.

Hyphens are (-) and only to be used when joining two words (like two nouns working as adjectives or a special compound noun.)

I would LOVE your help!

I'll message you as soon as I can get to my laptop :)

Semicolons are used for two complete sentences in lieu of a period,but that's a pain in the ass to use. So it's not used very much. As for the rest of the post? I feel like you've got a run on in there,but it might just be my own preferences telling me that you need a period in there.

Please show me where! I'd like to know!

Like Killigrew, I am also willing to help you out. ^^ She has given fine explanations for you.  Even though English is my first language, I still struggle with some elements of it as well.  I use this browser tool called Grammarly.  You can install it for free (and there are options to subscribe for more stuff).  It is a spell check and grammar tool in one and it is very accurate.

Maybe it's because of how often spellcheck on Microsoft has totally screwed me on grammar, but I'm leery to trust a browser tool.

That being said, I'll message you as soon as I get on my laptop :)

Grammar is a general pain in the ass but you've got it down it seems. As explained before, beware of run-on sentences, they are the bane to my existence.

I used to own and run a small literary publishing company. Here are some tips about both things from my former Editing Director.

When editing we used the Chicago Manual of Style. For those wishing to read it, edition 16 is the latest version. This is more or less the bible for fiction editing.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm also open to helping more! ^.^

Semi-colons

The semicolon ( ; ) is one of my favorite parts of punctuation. Unfortunately, it’s another commonly misused tool.

Before we get into the uses, let’s take a look at just what a semicolon is. Thinking about this now might help you decide when to use it later.

A semicolon is a period above a comma. This means that it does the job of both a period and a comma. It comes to a stop at the end of a sentence, as a period does, but it also acts as a brief pause, as a comma does. Now that we know this, let’s look at its uses.

There are two ways to use a semicolon.

1. When connecting two sentences.
2. When separating detailed lists.

When connecting two sentences:

The only thing that belongs on either side of a semicolon is a full sentence. That means the sentence before AND after the semicolon need to be able to stand on their own. The semicolon simply shows the reader that the two sentences either compliment or contrast each other closely. Since they’re being linked, the word after a semicolon will not be capitalized.

Examples:

Separate sentences:
The man was afraid. He had never met a wizard before.
Since the man is afraid because he had never met a wizard before, these two sentences compliment each other and can be linked more closely.
With a semicolon:
The man was afraid; he had never met a wizard before.

Separate sentences:
He said it was hard. I found it to be easy.
Since the two sentences are both discussing the difficulty of the same thing, they contrast each other nicely and can be linked more closely.
With a semicolon:
He said it was hard; I found it to be easy.

When separating detailed lists:

In this instance, the semicolon acts as a sort of super-comma. Sometimes, you need to list multiple things that have clauses or use commas in their descriptions. If you separated these list items with simple commas, the entire sentence would be mangled and overrun by the commas. Most of the time, this is used when naming cities and states or countries.

Examples:

The cruise took us to exotic locations such as Venice, Italy; Pula, Croatia; Budva, Montenegro; and Piran, Slovenia.
Since each of the locations in the list have commas of their own, the semicolons act as a super-comma, allowing the separate locations to be clear and concise. Had we used regular commas, it would have looked like eight different places instead of four.

The island was full of broken, lifeless souls; blackened, twisted, dead or dying trees; and feral animals with a taste for blood.
Since many parts of this list are full of commas of their own, it’s acceptable to use semicolons to break up the segments. A lot of authors are unaware that they can use lists this way. Because of that, you won’t see this as frequently.

Hyphens

A hyphen ( - ) is a short dash that connects two or more words. Never use spaces around hyphens.

To type a hyphen, just hit the - key on your keyboard; it's between the 0 and = keys.

When to use a hyphen:

To connect compound adjectives/adverbs.

* Connect adjectives and adverbs that form a single idea. If you can't use both words separately to describe the noun or verb, they need a hyphen. A quick test is to put the word 'and' between the words; if they don't make sense, use a hyphen.
* Do NOT use a hyphen between ADVERBS that end in -ly or the word 'very.' This only applies to adverbs.
Examples:
* brown-butter sauce
* wood-framed window
* three-meat pizza
*high-flying jet

To connect ages, numbers, and fractions.

* Use hyphens in ages when it's used as a compound adjective, such as "I have a five-year-old son, a seven-year-old son, and a two-year-old daughter."
* Use hyphens in double-digit numbers from twenty-one to ninety-nine.
* Use hyphens in fractions, such as "I need one and two-thirds cups of milk and one-half cup of oil."

On hyphenated last names.

Examples:
* Christopher Mintz-Plasse
* Sasha Jones-Parker

For clarity.

* You may want to use a hyphen when using a prefix that ends in the same letter as the word begins, such as "anti-inflammatory" or "pre-election."
* You should use a hyphen when adding a prefix that may cause confusion with an existing word, such as "I re-marked my answers" as opposed to "I remarked my answers."
* Use a hyphen when the sentence meaning is ambiguous, such as "I am a little known author" as opposed to "I am a little-known author."
* Use a hyphen between prefixes and proper nouns, such as "pre-Christian era" or "mid-April." Note that only the proper noun is capitalized, not the prefix.

Do NOT use a hyphen between words in a proper noun, such as Academy Award, World War II, or North American.

Em-Dashes

An em-dash ( — ) is a long dash that sets phrases apart in a sentence. You won't use spaces around em-dashes, but they can be used at the beginning or end of sentences.

To type an em-dash, hold down the ALT key and type 0151 on your number pad. In Microsoft Word, you can also hold CTRL and ALT and hit the hyphen ( - ) on your number pad.
(If you don't have a number pad, Microsoft Word also has the option to insert an em-dash through the Symbols feature. Go to Insert > Symbols > Special Characters.)

Em-dashes are used in three main situations.

As a way to insert extra information mid-sentence. They can also be used to set apart a phrase or list at the end of a sentence.
Examples:
* My friend—if I can even call her that—didn't come to my birthday party.
* I knew it wasn't the end of the world—though it sure felt like it.
* There were just a few things I still needed—duct tape, rope, and matches.

To interrupt dialogue. They can be used at the end of dialogue that is being interrupted or in the middle to show an action taking place. (See "Interrupting Dialogue" for more detailed information.)
Examples:
* "I'm sorry, okay? I wasn't trying to—" She slammed her hands on the table, interrupting his half-hearted apology.
* "I'm not sure you fully realize"—he swept his arm out, gesturing at the broken city below—"the gravity of the situation."

To list things, much the same as a bulleted list.
Examples:
Things to do today:
—Wash the dishes
—Fold the laundry
—Take out the trash
—Finish formatting the next release
—Feed the kids lunch
—Check on the editors ;)

En-Dashes

An en-dash ( – ) is a medium-length dash that connects the beginning and end of a range or distance. Never use spaces around en-dashes.

To type an en-dash, hold down the ALT key and type 0150 on your number pad. In Microsoft Word, you can also hold CTRL and hit the hyphen ( - ) on your number pad.
(If you don't have a number pad, Microsoft Word also has the option to insert an en-dash through the Symbols feature. Go to Insert > Symbols > Special Characters.)

Examples:

Years.
* 1987–2016

Months.
* January–June

Days.
* Monday–Friday

Numbers.
* 6–10

The Chicago Manual also lists using an en-dash when attaching a prefix to an open compound proper noun, such as "pre–World War II." This is because it has a bigger job to do than a simple hyphen, since we can't hyphenate World War II (because it's a proper noun). However, many publishers just use a hyphen in this instance because it's simpler (and I have to admit, it's an obscure rule to remember.) If you remember to do this, great, but otherwise a hyphen is fine.

Huey, darling, I think I love you. If I were not already married I might have proposed on the spot. <---- blatant sarcasm. Because I'm so socially awkward I find it necessary to point that out.

I will message you as soon as I get to my laptop.

@Huey 10/10 I learned today. Thanks for making that post! I'm not going to quote it, as it's too long, but yea. 

English is also my 2nd (3rd technically because of dialect) language. I often just go with the flow, like I do (type/write) what sounds better in my ears. I am still a student so I need to take English classes and all. Reading also helps. But I do not bother myself with grammar, especially when it's casual, like here. Though when I deal with essays and other formal types of writing, I find myself in a thin line.

But I don't know why you're asking for help, your grammar is perfectly fine (in my ears anyway). Perhaps you need a simple review about sentence structures, clauses (and their confusing roles in a sentence), predicate nominatives and all that. 

If you have any questions feel free to message me <3

I am currently trying to learn a 2nd language so I understand how you feel.

If you have any questions feel free to message me <3

I am currently trying to learn a 2nd language so I understand how you feel.

@Huey Nice!  Let me add some more.  : P

The apostrophe

Almost always either:

1. Indicates possession

or

2. Indicates omission

You will always need an apostrophe to indicate the possessive of a noun.

Definite pronouns, which are used in place of the noun for a specific person, people, or object, never need an apostrophe to indicate possession.  It is a definite pronoun; therefore, the possessive of it (its) does not need an apostrophe.

Definite Pronouns

Possessive Determiners

I

My

You

Your

He/She/They

His/Her/Their

It

Its

We

Our

They

Their

The apostrophe:

1. Indicates a possessive in a singular or plural noun or indefinite pronoun

For singular nouns that don’t end in an s, the use of the apostrophe is pretty straightforward:

Bob’s house

The bee’s knees

When the possessor is plural but does not end in an s, the apostrophe comes before the s:

Women’s and children’s clothing

If a plural possessor ends in s, the apostrophe comes after the s:

The cats’ meows

Apostrophes can also be used with indefinite pronouns, which don’t refer to any one specific person or object:

That could be anybody’s guess.

This is everyone’s choice.

2. Indicates a contraction

When you squish two words together, you form a contraction. The apostrophe in a contraction indicates where letters have been omitted. Be careful not to mix up contractions with other words, especially possessive determiners!

Contraction        

Short for…

Not to be confused with…

Who’s

Who is / Who has

Whose

It’s

It is / It has

Its

They’re

They are

Their

There’s

There is

Theirs

You’re

You are

Your

3. Indicates plurals of lowercase letters and sometimes words

This is the one instance where the apostrophe indicates the plural of something.  If it’s necessary to separate a letter or word from s in order to preserve the original meaning, you should include an apostrophe.  For example, the plural of the letter i can’t be is, or you’d get confused!

Mind your p’s and q’s.

What are the do’s and don’ts/don’t’s? (Nobody agrees on this one)

If a letter is capitalized, it doesn’t necessarily need an apostrophe.  But you can add one if you want.  I think it looks better with one.

Mind your P’s and Q’s or Mind your Ps and Qs.

4. Indicates time or quantity through possession

Apostrophes are used when time modifies a noun.

One day’s time

Two weeks’ notice

5. Indicates omission of letters or figures

Similar to contractions, the apostrophe is placed right where the letter(s) or figure(s) have been removed.  You can use this to indicate irregular speech as well.

Class of ‘99

Will-o’-wisp

‘E ‘as ‘is mother’s eyes.

The Comma

The comma:

1. Separates items in a list

A comma is used to separate items in a list where the words and or or would also be appropriate.

We need to pick up bread, butter, and eggs.

Do you want toast, waffles, or scrambled eggs?

A quick note: the last comma in a list is called the Oxford comma, and it isn’t needed.  Whether you want to include the Oxford comma or not is a matter of personal preference.

A comma is also needed to separate a list of only two items that would be appropriately separated with an and:

A dark, stormy night

Don’t use a comma to separate two adjectives working together to modify a noun:

Italian red wine, not Italian, red wine

The rule is: if you wouldn’t put an and or an or there, don’t put a comma there.

2. Joins together two clauses

A clause is a construction that always contains a subject and a verb.  Joining together two or more clauses creates a compound sentence.

A dependent (or subordinate) clause may contain a subject and a verb, but it’s not a complete sentence on its own.  Therefore, it must be joined with an independent clause (also known as a main clause).  If a dependent clause occurs at the beginning of a sentence, separate it from the independent clause with a comma:

If you look at the top of the screen, you can see the tsundere shark.

DEP [If you look at the top of the screen], IND [you can see the tsundere shark]

If you were to switch this sentence around, it wouldn’t need a comma:

You can see the tsundere shark if you look at the top of the screen

IND [You can see the tsundere shark] DEP [if you look at the top of the screen].

An independent clause could form a complete sentence on its own, but they can also be joined together to form a compound sentence using a comma and a coordinating conjunction (and, or, etc.).

I went to the top of the screen, and I saw the tsundere shark.

IND [I went to the top of the screen], CON [and] IND [I saw the tsundere shark].

However, you don’t need a comma if the independent clauses are short and sweet.

They came and they went.

3. Can be used in place of certain words

You can add a bit of stylish flair by replacing unnecessary words with a comma.

The nights were cold; the days, hot.

4. Sets off a quotation from the rest of a sentence

Remember: commas, along with all other punctuation marks, always come before the last set of quotation marks, even in cases where it looks stupid.

He said, “OMG, kawaii desu ne?!!”

“Please stop,” we replied.

5. Separates weak interjections from clauses

Interjections are used in informal dialogue to express strong or weak emotions. Weak interjections are preceded by a comma, indicating a weaker emotional response, while strong interjections are indicated by an exclamation point.

Strong interjections

Weak interjections

Yes!

Yes,

Hey!

Hey,

Oh!

Oh,

Please!

Please,

Hey, do you still want to go out with me?

No, you kept trying to sign me up for a pyramid scheme on our last date.

6. Separates weak interruptions from clauses

Weak interruptions are elements of a sentence that add additional information but can be removed without changing the sentence’s meaning.  Commas added before and after weak interruptions are known as “bracketing commas.”

Remember how we talked about clauses earlier?  Well, one of the most common forms of interruption comes from relative clauses, which are clauses that start with relative pronouns like which and that or relative adverbs like when or where.  When a relative clause is used to describe a noun, and it isn’t essential to the meaning of the sentence, it must be separated from the independent clause using commas.

Great white sharks, which can grow up to 21 feet long, are one of the ocean’s most fearsome predators.

I don’t like sharks, you know, but I’m feeling the tsundere shark.

Probably not much help, but I really want to show my class this song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back