• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Emptying the Golden Throne

"We assume to share a mother, as that's what his father always said." Valoire replied as she took the newly enchanted ring once more.

As soon as it left Ada's hand, it went dull.

The woman's throat tightened, getting a sneeking suspicion at where this was leading. Softly she said "Glow according to the wearer's blood relation to my father."

She handed the ring back.

Ada took the ring and just like she expected, it glowed brightly. Her mouth felt dry but a tiny bit of elation grew inside her. She gave Val a look.

"If the wearer is my cousin then filter out all wavelengths except blue. otherwise, If she is my half-sister, filter out all wavelengths other than green"

She handed the ring back to Val.

Distant relations could be possible, as families could get messy, but as she took it back from Ada and it flowed a bright Green...

Well... this was a turn of events.

"If this is correct..." she began slowly. "Then... we're half sisters and share the king as a father..."

It was clear Valoire didn't quite believe what she was saying, even though it had mostly been proven.

Ada moved in to hug Val, knowing what she must be going through. After all, she was going through the same thing.

"I'm glad I have a sister." She whispered. She always felt lonely. The only woman at the university. The only title-less person at parties or, the only rich kid when dining with the Kirklands.

The door opened and Ada jumped back. The maid was standing in the doorway.

"It is almost time for tea with the King."

Ada nodded, she looked at Val. "Comming? You can uh... take notes."

Valoire hadn't spoke since she had said it, not moving when Ada hugged her either.

So she was also a child of the king, an illegitimate heir to the throne, and sitting beside a woman who was her half sister.

As Ada jumped back, it caused her to blink back into focus a bit, still trying to rationalize everything as she nodded at her request. Although it would be much... different when she looked upon the husk of a king this time.

Ada nodded, she took Wyn's hand reassuringly.

A sister. And, if she was older, maybe someone who could take over instead of her.

The maid opened the door and let them inside. His gaze was vaguely fixed upon Ada as she walked in.

"Elizabeth! Come in, sit, sit!" There were only two chairs.

"Umm...." Ada rushed back to the door, calling out to the maid. "Could we get another chair? Please?"

Perhaps Val would decline, but Ada thought, as her sister, Val deserved a seat at the table.

Val couldn't share Ada's reassurance, although it was comforting.

Joining her as they entered the room, she would notice how the king would look directly though her, which wasn't something she hadn't been used to, for being a servant since she was young would make one used to that. But with the newfound information that this man was also her father as well... it made it feel a bit different than normal. Although how so, she couldn't say.

The whole situation held an irony of sorts as well, Valorie having worked for the man she assumed had been dead.

It also felt more of a story for children rather than reality. They both were the man’s daughters, having completely different lives, one below socity with one above now realizing it for the first time that they were related and now sitting right across from the very person responsible who had absolutely no idea.

Taking a seat along them once the chair was brought, the woman remained silent. Waiting to see what they had to say first.

Ada sipped at her tea as the King launched into stories. It was not that different from when she would have tea with Mr Walpole, but she felt extraordinarily tense and awkward. She was given very little opportunity to talk and it always seemed like his eyes were looking either beyond her or into her soul.

"My dear, how has your stay been so far. Is everyone accommodating you adequately?"

"Lovely," Ada said, and there was a hint of truth to that. "And everyone is very nice. Umm... the only thing is that... uhh... I just wish my friends, you know? Could they be let go?" She asked hopefully.

The King contemplated that for a minute. "No, that is not possible. They must be punished,"

"If they are guilty!" Ada cut in

"If they are guilty." He said with a patronizing smile. "However, if they are friends of the princess, perhaps they can be moved to better accommodations?" He snapped his fingers and another servant, this one male, suddenly appeared at his side. He whispered something in his ear, the servant bowed and departed.

Relief swept over her "Thank you." She said. And then added. "Father,"

Silence followed. Ada desperately wanted to bring up Val's parentage but she just realized she had no proof. Did the King even know his lovers had been fey? She took a sip of her tea before asking another question.

"Do I have any siblings?"

Arthur had said she was the only one, but maybe the King knew different.

The King looked at her curiously. "No, why?"

"Nothing!" Ada said quickly, and stirred her tea, although it had already been over stirred.

"You should be ready for tomorrow," The king said vaguely.

"Tomorrow? What's going to happen tomorrow?" She asked.

The King blinked. "I'm introducing you to the court of course,"

She listened intently. Not really paying mind to the stories but mostly when Ada began speaking. She asked about her friends (which she wondered if they included Wyn or not, as they hadn't really gotten along) and got them moved to somewhere more appealing.

Then, she moved onto if she had any siblings, the king giving a solid 'no' for an answer. It didn't surprise Val that much if at all, but she still felt... conflicted. Even though he wasn't and couldn't possibly ever live up to what Wyn's father had done for them both... she still felt disappointed. Saddened maybe? Valoire couldn't tell, and it was possibly that she didn't want too.

The king finally said something of importance. Introducing Ada to the court tomorrow. Eyes widening slightly she glanced in her direction, wanting to see if she had any response to the news. It would finally give a small portion of the world knowledge if her existence as heir... which would most certainly be controversial.

Ada's eyes had widened. "Tomorrow."

"Oh yes," The king hummed. "The press will be present as well,"

They spent the rest of their time silent, while the king went on to chat about many inconsequential things.

Once they were back in Ada's room, she rounded on Val. "We need to find a way to prove you're his daughter," She said. "Nobody would believe us."

After returning back to Ada's room, not having expected her to turn and face her so quick, she listened before giving the woman a wide-eyed look.

"We have one option but it comes with too much risk..." She would gesture to the ring before her face fell considerably. "Unless you have any other ideas..."

Ada shook her head and started pacing around the room. "No, I don't." She admitted. "But... I don't think it's a good idea to just proclaim. I... Many of my friends think that fey magic is fake, just parlor tricks. You could be imprisoned as a pretender to the throne." Her eyes darkened "Or worse."

Valoire grimaced as this was said, not having an answer. She wasn't even fully decided on wanting the throne or not, but part of her felt as if Ada was simply willing to hand it off.

Unsure what to do, she simply have a small shrug, confusion written upon her face.

"Don't worry," Ada said, "We'll figure something out."

Just then there was a knock on the door. Ada went to open it.

"Lady Adaline, your friends have been moved to one of the second-floor chambers in this castle. Would you like to visit them?"

"Of course!" Ada said and followed the maid.

--

Meanwhile, Al was not happy about being put back in the same room as Wyn. They had been told nothing other than that it had been a favour from the princess.

The door opened, and Ada rushed in. As if they hadn't been separated for almost a year, Alex enveloped her into his arms and kissed her. Matthew averted his gaze as they separated. They gave each other sloppy looks.

"I've missed you."

"Me too."

Arriving in the room and basically ignoring everyone but her brother, she would slid into the seat beside him with a strange look upon her face.

Wyn would roll his eyes at Ada and Al before looking to Val with a confused expression, the two however not speaking.

"Ads, what's going on?" Alphonse asked, as he and Ada untangled themselves from each other.

"You're not actually the daughter of the King are you?" Matthew asked

Ada fidgeted nervously and told them everything they'd learned from Arthur and the King.

"There's also something else," she said, shooting a look at Val. "Uh.... maybe you should explain it."

Wyn didn't seem to care as Ada explained everything, but once the attention was given to Valoire she nodded slowly.

"Well... um..." she hesitated before continuing. "We learned through a few different enchantments on Wyn's ring that me and Ada are... half-sisters, the common parent being... the king..."

Upon hearing this, Wyn's eyes would widen. "You can't be serious." Valoire cast her gaze downward, not answering.

Ada nodded.

"How do you know that?" Alex demanded.

"The ring. We enchanted it." Ada said, staring incredulously at her boyfriend, a bit annoyed as Val had just said the exact same thing.

"But that's obviously just a parlor trick, there's no such thing as real magic" he dismissed. "Nothing can break the laws of thermodynamics"

Valoire knew that Alex was going to ignore everything she or Wyn had to say about magic, so she stood and walked up beside her, slipping the ring off of her finger and handing it to the woman.

"Maybe this will change your mind."

Ada took the ring and handed it to Alphonse. "Put it on." she ordered

Al looked skeptical, and Ada raised her eyebrows. With a great sigh, he slipped it on his finger. Nothing happened.

She beckoned with her fingers, and Al handed the ring back. Doing the only spell she knew, she said loudly.

"Adjust your brightness in proportion to the familial relationship of the wearer to Matthew Kirkland"

Matthew raised his eyebrows as Ada handed the ring back to Al.

"Woah!" The ring gave off a bright light as soon as it touched Al's hands.

"See? No parlor tricks" Ada said, bemused as Al stared in shock at the ring, then his girlfriend.

"What? How? Where's the light coming from?" He turned it over in his hands, as if trying to see where the light was coming from

Ada shrugged. "I don't know but I'm planning to test what exactly it can do. I wonder if I can execute my algorithms on it! It's fascinating, isn't it? I have a theory, perhaps fey have a special ability to draw on the potential energy around us, or else turn matter into energy." She looked absolutely excited. "Although... It's not my area of expertise. And I doubt it'll recieve funding..."

Last edited:
Wyn sighed as they played around with simple enchantments before standing and making his way over to them. Gesturing for his ring back, he would mutter something under is breath before speaking with a smug smile.

"If you wanted to know, enchantments can do more than just effect the object, but the wearer as well." He slid the ring onto his finger, suddenly disappearing from sight although a faint outline of him was barely visible where the light bended.

Removing the ring he would mutter something again, changing the enchantment before holding it out to Al. "Put it on."

Valoire could stop him but didn't bother, her lips graced wit a genuine smile for the first time in awhile. Something about her brother looking as if he could actually enjoy something (even though he was rubbing his talent in everyone's face) was more than pleasing.

Ada shrieked and jumped back as Wyn disappeared. A guard burst through the door. While Matt, Al, and Ada could see Wyn, knowing where he had disappeared, the guard wasn't as perceptive.

"Is everything alright, your highness!"

"Yeah! Fine!" She said catching her breath, her voice still an unusually high pitch.

The guard narrowed "Where'd the red-haired one go?"

"Washroom" Matthew said quickly.

The guard looked suspicious but nevertheless closed the door, before Wyn reappeared.

"What? Why? What does it do?" Al said suspiciously but nevertheless reached for the ring at the same time, touching it and slipping it on his finger.

As he fully slid the ring on, Wyn had expected his ears to sharpen or him to loose a few inches in height, but something else entirely occurred.

Alex would feel a rather odd for a few moments, but didn't notice anything different. To everyone one else... it was almost a totally different person stood before them. His nose had flattened and broadened, ears sharpened slightly, with two curving ram horns jutting from his skull. His legs ending at his waist would've been covered in a thick fur to match his hair color while his feet replaced with hooves. The change in the skeletal structure made any clothing he was wearing on the bottom half of his body look extremely odd and most likely feel uncomfortable as well.

"I thought Satyrs were extinct..." Valoire commented, not really phased by the situation. Wyn would then shrug. "Based on the enchantment I put on the ring, its to turn the wearer into a full-blooded fey of whatever they're more closely related to." Flashing Alex a smile he couldn't help but say "So one of your distant ancestors was none other than a goat."

Now it was Alex's turn to yelp and jump back, but instead of a yell, out of his mouth came a bleat. He covered his mouth with his hands while both Matthew and Ada bent over laughing,

"It's not *bleeeh* funny!" he yelled, colour rising to his face.

"It is," Ada said through tears of laughter. She shot Val and Wyn a look. Maybe she'd been wrong about him. At least he had a sense of humour.

Alex tore the ring off his finger and changed back to normal. He looked grumpy and still a bit in shock, but not too angry. That was good, Matt supposed.

The two would laugh at this, Wyn taking the ring back with a smile that now seemed much more real and less smug. Looking to Matt and Ada he'd gesture towards them.

"Either of you want to try?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back