• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Emptying the Golden Throne

And while it was the holy grail of stupid questions, it still got her somewhere. Val being able to listen but not do much else, nodded slightly, her eyes half lidded and focusing on Ada.

Relief swept over Ada. Someone put a hand on her shoulder. It was Matthew again.

"I think she needs rest. And I think we do too." Ada hadn't realized how late it was getting.

"Yeah," she croaked. "We do."

There were multiple couches in the living room area of Ada's quarters and each of the three friends took one. If the maid noticed it, she didn't say anything.

Over the course of the night, Wyn had once again been drained of just enough blood not to kill him, being tossed back into the holding cell, while Val seemed to stabilized.

If one were to look into the room , she'd be seen sleeping although appearing much better.

One person who didn't care if anyone was sleeping was Roberta. She would've opened the doors of the main entrance, clearly dismayed by the appearance of the brothers. "Your highness-" she would snap. "Who are they and why are you not in bed?"

Ada had just been drifting off to sleep when a sharp voice cut through the air. It was the first time she'd heard anything other than passive inquiries and information from the maid.

She sat up quickly. "They're my friends." She said, deciding she couldn't lie under this kind of pressure in her tired state. "Val is sick, so we gave her the bed. Matt and Al are helping me take care of her."

The maid wouldn't seem happy about this but not comment, yet as she mentioned Val being sick...

"Then you call a doctor. You can't risk getting sick." She would try to move towards the bedroom, wanting to see Val for herself.

"No!" All three yelled at the same time.

Ada grabbed the maid's hand, but not before the maid had opened the door to see Val peacefully sleeping on Ada's bed.

"Please. It's... its not something we want a doctor to see."

Then seeing the look on the maid's face she added. "Don't worry it's not contagious. You're supposed to follow my orders right? Well then.. in that case... I order you to er... not say anything to a doctor, or anyone for that matter. Oh and please get us some more towels. And blankets and pillows."

The maid clearly wasn't pleased by this but nodded and left, going to retrieve the times she requested.

As soon as she was gone, Valoire had woken up a bit. She was glad to be out of the cell but was instantly worried.

"Ada?" She called, it being soft and ridden with fatigue, but still audible.

Ada thought she heard something from inside the room. She rushed inside, Matthew and Alex followed.

"Val?" She asked, climbing onto the bed beside her. "How are you feeling?"

As Ada would climb onto the bed next to her and ask, she would be slow to respond. "Odd... I can't describe it..."

Not waiting for a response, she would be quick to ask while trying to sit up. "Where is Wyn? Is he alright?"

Ada's heart sank. She felt guilty for not getting Wyn out too. "I'm sorry"

"He's still downstairs," Matthew said quietly. "They would only let you go."

"But we think he's still alive," Alex added. "The king said... they still needed him."

Val's face fell at this realization, nodding slowly as she leaned back. "How has he gone this far?" She asked to no one in particular as Roberta would return in the door way with the towels and pillows in her arms.

"He's the king," Alex answered. His eyes seemed distant. "He does whatever he wants,"

Matthew went and thanked Roberta for the towels, pillows, and blankets before shutting the door.

"At least they don't seem to care about us anymore," Matthew muttered.

"What if they catch on?" Ada asked, starting to panic. She just got them back, she didn't want them to be thrown back into the dungeon.

"I doubt they care," Alex muttered. "The king isn't very popular and the guards have more important things to worry about, like keeping the king happy. And he doesn't seem concerned about us, does he? Probably trusts his daughter."

Val just listened, not really having any words to add to the situation.

"This is my fault..." she muttered after awhile. "I'm the one that wanted to help you get here..."

"No, no it's not. I'm sorry I got you in this mess." Ada said. "We'll get your brother back, I promise."

Roberta has no idea what's going on, but despite her training, she was rattled, and it was hard to shake. She couldn't help but notice the tension in the air as the princess and her two friends shot glances at one another. Follow orders. Serve the royal family. That's all she had been told. So she took a deep breath, composed herself, and knocked on the door

"Lady Adeline? The King requests your presence in the second basement"

All Roberta knew was that there was no second basement.

Ada jumped. She looked at Val, knowing Val would want to come as well.

"Can you walk?" She asked.

"We're coming too," Matthew said firmly.

"No! What if someone recognizes you," Ada said. "You'll stay here." It sounded like an order.

Val couldn't respond as there was a knock, the maid asking Ada to return to the basement. Already climbing out of the bed as she asked, having to grab onto the side to steady herself. Nodding she would move to follow her sister, not bothering to comment on now being considerably shorter than her.

Ada wordlessly followed the maid out of the room, her face pale. What was going to happen? What did the King want? She wrapped her fingers around Val's and helped her stay steady, but she was also squeezing tightly, out of fear. She too noticed the height difference. Val was now about the same height as her mother. Maybe even a bit shorter.

The maid handed them over to a man with a matted white apron, who led them back through the dungeon to the eerie room with the green glow.

"Elizabeth, just in time." The king seemed happy, "Join me! As we ascend the mortal plane, together."

"No!" Ada shouted, a look of horror on her face. They were going to do the same time to her that they did to Val. She tried to run, but a bunch of technicians grabbed her. She tried to fight them off, but it seemed like they had experience subduing people. "No, no no no no no."

Valoire would've quickly made her way to the cell where Wyn looked even worse than before. Upon hearing what the king had said and Ada being grabbed, her brother would grab her gently through the bars and tug her down to where she was in a kneeling position.

"Keep your eyes on me." He said, the woman nodding without protest.

Here the king was laid on the table as they began the transfusion, still rambling to Ada about how the would live for eternity.

Then the transfusion began, Wyn's blood being pumped into his veins. It appeared as if nothing was happening at first but once it reached his heart... that was a different story. He began to seize, eyes rolling back into his skull as he rejected the blood.

Ada was still struggling but the technicians held her tight. She stopped as the King began to convulse on the table. This was her father. One of the only family members she had left. She had said she would try to kill him but it just wasn't in her.

"What's going on?" She yelled.

"We need to stabilize him, he's not accepting the blood" One of the people around the table yelled. Some of the technicians let go of her and she ripped free of the rest, running to the operating table

The king's eyes held a moment of clarity.

"Kateryna" he whispered, looking at Ada's face before they rolled over a final time and knew no more.

Ada was in shock. She didn't feel sad or like crying, but simply empty. She didn't know what to think. Was she supposed to love this man? Or was she glad she never had to see him again? She felt arms wrap around her, not like the cold grip of the technicians, but warm and gentle.

"I'm sorry. I came as soon as I heard. I would never have brought you here if I knew." It was Arthur. Tears stained her hair as he cried, relieved that she was alright.

Last edited:
The king was dead. As it was confirmed and they began to take his corpse off of the table, Val slowly stood. Watching the scene without any emotion.

Eventually one of the technicians would unlock the cell, Valoire quickly entering and trying to help her brother stand. side by side their height difference was almost commcial with the elf reaching about six feet, but looking as battered and awful as they did, it drained the image of all possible humor.

Ada watched as they put the body on a stretcher, but decided she didn't want to see any more. She buried her face in Arthur's jacket, still shaking.

He stroked her head, tears still coming out of his eyes. He'd been taking care of this girl, all her life. It wasn't until now that he realized how much Ada meant to him. "I had no idea," He gazed at the body with cold heartless eyes, and although Ada's face was buried in her jacket, he saw the two fey friends she'd brought along out of the corner of his eye. That man had no right to call himself Ada's father or the father of the nation. He saw her as nothing more than a trinket, and her citizens as nothing more than a means to an end. Things were going to change, now that he was finally gone.

"Prime Minister, what do we do with these animals."

Ada gave a muffle of protest.

"Let them go," Arthur said. "Or put them out of their misery if they're beyond help."

"No," Ada said, lifting her head. "Put them in the infirmary. We owe them that much, at least."

The technician looked at Arthur.

"Well?" Arthur asked, raising his eyebrows. "Was that not clear?"

"Of course sir,"

"Val and Wyn," Ada whispered.

"They are alright, perhaps shaken and weak, but better off than most," Arthur said.

Ada turned her head towards them and left Arthur's embrace.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." She whispered.

At first, Wyn looked ready to pounce on the first technician to touch him or Val. But when Ada said they were to be take to infirmary, he grew a bit less hostile although still weary. With a protective arm around the woman he leaned on, they were herded out of the dungeon with disdainful looks and comments.

As Wyn would pass Ada, he would utter a soft "It isn't your fault." Before leaving. Truly it wasn't. She couldn't have known what the king was planning.

Ada's face was still pale, as she also helped Wyn to the infirmary. "Thanks," She muttered.

"What's going to happen to them?" She asked Arthur, as they accompanied everyone to the hospital.

"Who knows," Arthur shrugged. "Perhaps they go back to where they came from. If not, they might go to a workhouse."

Ada knew about workhouses. It was a place where those who fell on hard times could go for food and shelter and perhaps a bit of pay in exchange for labour.

"Wyn and Val are staying here. With me in the castle." She said firmly. Arthur just nodded.

Finally, they reached the infirmary.

Upon the group entering, they were about to be forced out when the staff took sight of Ada and Arthur, soon shutting their mouths and simply directing traffic.

Once most of the fey had been taken care of, the began to look over Wyn and Val, although clearly reluctant on the elf's part. He kept a firm hold on his now much smaller sister as they made sure they weren't mortally wounded or anything similar.

Once that was finished, they began their return to the castle.

The nurse tapped her pen on the clipboard. "Well, looks like you're cleared to go. Just a couple days rest and you'll be good as new."

"Really?" Ada asked. Arthur was sitting at her side.

"Yeah although... I'm not familiar with their biology. We need the beds for more important things."

Ada was about to get angry before she noticed what the nurse was pointing to. Two weak looking men with pointed ears were carrying a man who looked like he was on the verge of death. He was missing multiple limbs and he looked like he hadn't eaten in weeks.

"Right," she said.

Arthur put an arm around her shoulder and started guiding her back towards the castle. He ignored Val and Wyn, but when Ada jerked her head for them to follow, he didn't object.

"Well then, I assume you'll be housing your friends here? We should fetch some servants to have them select some rooms while we discuss your affairs. Another matter. Your items will be moved to the Royal suite."

"Val can have my old room," Ada said quickly

"Ada" Arthur scolded as if warning a child "That room is reserved for the heir apparent. It is highly improper for a servant girl to-"

"I'm the queen now right?" Ada said, "It's fine. When I have a kid, they can have that room"

Arthur sighed, and rubbed his forehead. He thought Ada would be easier to deal with. He hoped her unreasonable demands were limited to room choices though. "Very well..." He glanced curiously at Val. "She is more than a servant to you, isn't she. Perhaps we should make it official. Lady in waiting, perhaps?"

Ada looked delighted, then back to Val "I mean... only if you want to be."

Wyn kept his voice low as he spoke. "Why are we staying?"

"Because..." Val trailed off, not really having a sure answer.

"You care about her." He finished. Sending a glance her way.

Angling her gaze downward she would give a small nod. Even if they hadn't been revealed to be sisters or a daughter the king didn't even know he had, she couldn't bring herself to simply leave.

"You can if you want..." She knew Wyn wasn't eager to stay.

But, the elf's answer was cut off as Ada and Arthur began to discus them. Specifically when the man glanced back and asked if Val should be made her Lady in Waiting.

The woman's eyes widened as she heard this, giving a nod as a smile formed on her lips. "I'd... be happy too."

Wyn rolled his eyes at this point. "Now I'm definitely not leaving."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back