• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Empire City: The Irish Mob - Bonus Scenes (Closed)

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Jeremy's House
~Bethnal Green, London~
~Wednesday 24th July 1985~
Jeremy Gray

1655752076559.png
Jeremy rolled his one good eye and Spencer calling him ugly, taking a bite of his food and chewing carefully on his sore jaw. He broke his butty down, eating it in smaller pieces then his friend did. "No, its nothing like that. I actually would be there now if I could properly do the damn thing." His mind, normally so streamlined and able to think ahead, was having a hard time finding all the right words to tell his friend, so instead he decided to start in the beginning.

"You remember that night you and the guys threw me a welcome home party from uni? Harper showed up too. I think..." He trailed off, chewing at another chip, "I think... I fell in love with her that night, Spence." What normal colored skin was visible turned a dark red. Jeremy was not one to talk about his emotions, though luckily Spencer had been around him long enough and knew him well enough that he wouldn't say something lightly or without considerate thought.

"I don't think I knew it at first, and for a long time I found excuses not to see her or be around when she was there because it was a feeling I wasn't sure I could name. It was... uncomfortable, or maybe nerve inducing, I can't explain it." He shifted awkwardly, his eyes casting around for something to look at in case Spencer didn't react well.

Jeremy's House
~ Bethnal Green, East London ~
~ Wednesday 24th July 1985 ~

Spencer King

1656018821425-png.996159
Spencer nodded his head when Jeremy confirmed he was still on board with being on protection duty where Harper was concerned. Between everything else that was going on, he didn't want to have to make new arrangements on that front. He took another bite of his butty as Jeremy continued speaking, for some reason deciding to go on a trip down memory lane. "Yeah, I remember that party. I remember Letitia being a real miserable bitch when I rocked up at home the morning after."

Spencer was suddenly snapped out of his thoughts about his horrible ex when he was made to process what his best friend had just said about Harper. "With Harper? You fell in love with Harper?" he asked, clearly stunned to have it confirmed. Spencer put his food down in the tray, no longer interested in eating. Jeremy had continued speaking, telling him how he'd made excuses not to see her as he was confused by his feelings.

He sat up straight and studied Jeremy's face for a short time as he tried to look for any sign his friend was joking around with him. He found nothing of the sort. "All of the women in London and you decide you've got the hots for my sister?" he asked in a flat tone. "Come on, mate. Have a word with yourself, yeah?" Spencer asked, letting out a small laugh that didn't exactly reflect his tone.

"She's my sister, so that ain't happening. She's not like one of them tarts you or I would have ended up picking up at the clubs and taking back home. It's Harper, mate. Think about what you're saying here," he said, letting out an exasperated breath before shaking his head.

Jeremy's House
~Bethnal Green, London~
Jeremy Gray

1655752076559.png
The name Letitia brought up some late nights, and snarky comments, but Jeremy let it go. No one liked her, and no one was happier than him to see her go. Spencer had been miserable with her, and he felt for his friend, hoping he would get through one day. It was the moment his friend snapped back that Jeremy had been watching for that he cleared his throat and looked away again. It looked like part of Spencer thought he was joking, but the other believed him. When Spencer sat closer, Jeremy caught his gaze and gave him a solid look. There were many things he was, but a liar and a coward was not it. He loved Harper, and now that he had said it, he would not be swayed to look uncertain.

“I have had a word with myself mate. I’ve been having a word with myself since the night at the Mercury. I tried to ignore it. I tried to talk myself out of it, but I can’t. You should understand that with Shona.” Jeremy knew if he wanted to try and have anything with Harper anytime in the future, this was the first step he had to take. If he couldn’t win his best friends approval and blessing, it would never happen – he couldn’t do it, even if Harper insisted, because he respected Spencer too much. It was when he went on to mention the girls they use to frequent with as younger men. Jeremy never realized that by not correcting his friends in thinking he’d slept with them, he’d actually damaged how they looked at him.

Jeremy had never been inclined to bragging and had never told the next day what happened the night before when asked. Often Alex would try to pry him for details, but Jeremy would change the subject, ignore him, or just give him a flat look as if to say he knew better. Eventually everyone just assumed he had done the deed and just wouldn’t talk about it; they ceased asking him, and everyone moved on happily in their assumptions. Sighing he looked at his friend, Jeremy’s hand rubbing the back of his neck. “Yeah about that. I took some girls home, and some took me home, and sure there was some fooling around from time to time, but I never…” Knowing that Spencer was never going to believe him he sighed, pushing on, “I never slept with any of ‘em. Call me old fashion but I always thought that particular act should be saved for the right one.”

Shrugging, he used another bite of food to allow some space and to keep his eyes, hands and mouth busy. “I never much cared what anyone thought, and with stigma’s being what they are about men having to complete rituals of manhood, I never thought it important to change anyone’s mind. It just sat on the list of shit you don’t talk about. Anyways, that’s neither here nor there, I’m only saying now so you don’t have to worry I might one day hurt her in that way. She has feeling too… For me, but she has not told me she loves me.” He paused rubbing his face, wincing as he forgot not to press his normal pressure on his left eye. “I have thought long and hard about this, and I always come to the same conclusion – I love her.”

Jeremy's House

Spencer King

1656018821425-png.996159
Spencer studied Jeremy as the man said he'd been having a word with himself since the night at the Mercury nightclub. That was when Spencer himself had seen and heard enough from his friend's emotional reaction to Harper being severely injured. Still, he'd been able to reason with - or convince - himself that Jeremy simply cared for her in the same way her brothers did, given how long he'd known the King siblings. "Yeah, but... Shona isn't my best mate's sister," he was quick to point out. "Us two haven't been out much lately, have we? Maybe you need reminding of all the lasses knocking about here in London and I'm as sure as I can ever be that I'm not related to any more of them," he remarked, clearly referring to is newly discovered sister, May.

Despite his comments, Spencer could see how serious his friend was about his feelings for Harper, but he wasn't sure if he could get behind it. With all of the crazy night's out they'd had over the years, Jeremy was on the list of the kind of guys he wouldn't want trying to woo his sister - granted, Alex and himself were no doubt on similar lists belonging to protective brothers!

Jeremy awkwardly continued, explaining that he'd never actually slept with any of the girls he'd met on their nights out. When he spoke about taking the old-fashioned approach and waiting for the right one, Spencer couldn't stop the disbelieving laugh that escaped him. "Now I know you're taking the piss. Which of 'em is it? Billy was winding me up about being moody the other day - is this his idea? Alex? Harper?"

As the seconds passed and Jeremy continued spinning the tale, Spencer noticed there was a lack of amusement or giveaway that he was playing a joke on him. Was this why Jeremy had got so defensive a few nights ago when Billy was waffling on with odd comments about him not being a man yet? Realising his friend was being serious, any amusement left Spencer's face and his familiar serious expression returned. He briefly massaged his forehead as he heard how Harper had feelings for him too, even if she wasn't in love with him in return. Slumping back in his seat, he quietly nodded then let out a deep sigh. Clasping his hands together on his lap, he looked his friend in the eyes. "Who else knows about this? You fancying Harper, I mean, not the other stuff. Does Bruce know?" he asked. Given how he'd only recently found out about Billy's sexuality and how Harper was being distant from him, he wouldn't be surprised to find he was one of the last people to learn about this too.

Jeremy's House
~Bethnal Green, London~
Jeremy Gray

1655752076559.png
Jeremy knew his friend was really hoping he was pulling a fast one on him. The look and awkward laughs he gave was that of someone waiting for the pun to hit so he could laugh for real, but it never came. When Spencer started asking which one was it that set him up to be the butt of this joke, Jeremy gave a bit of a grin, his friend looked almost desperate that he would take it all back. Then he realized that maybe he should be more offended this his friend was set on him not dating his sister – if that even happened at some point. If they had known each other for so long, Spencer should know he is a good guy, even if he was a bit wild when they were younger.

Jeremy let the question breathe for a moment while he finished another small bite of food, shaking his head. “Nah, Bruce doesn’t know. Billy does, he has since the night we went to Dublin. I had just figured it out then, hadn’t even really admitted it to myself yet. Billy was in a bad way on his way back, and while talking to him, it just kind of came out. “ He shrugged, not thinking of it as a big deal, but failing to realize that Spencer not being the first one might be just as upsetting as the reverse of Spencer not trusting him. “I wanted to wait until I knew what she wanted, but with everything that happened… I realized that we don’t live the kind of life that allows that kind of time.”

His mind drifted for a moment to Harper to the kiss in her apartment, and a flash of energy flowed through him. No, there was no denying he was stuck, and he was stuck good. Harper had been the first girl to affect him in such a way and like some bodice ripper romance novel, which he privately enjoyed when there was no chance in hell someone would catch him, he wanted to dominate, woo, worship, and ravage her. The ache in his chest was worse than the pain of the beating he’d received, but he wouldn’t say a word of this to Spencer. No, that kind of talk would surely just solidify his friend’s answer.

“So, I intend to try and actively win her hand, but I couldn’t do that in good conscience if you didn’t know, you’re my best mate.” For a moment, Jeremy looked like a kid again, seeking Spencer’s approval to move forward, and a boyish smile creeped across his lips as he gave his friend as hopeful look. “All I’m asking for is a chance to see if she even wants anything more with me. If she say’s no, you know I’ll be a gentleman and move along without any fuss.”

Jeremy's House

Spencer King

1656018821425-png.996159
Spencer nodded his head when it was confirmed Bruce didn't know yet. He expected if his uncle did know, he'd likely have said something about it by now. Hearing that Billy already knew admittedly hurt a little, knowing that Jeremy hadn't thought to confide in him before now, even after Billy had found out. It only served to strengthen the feeling Spencer had that his siblings, and now apparently Jeremy, didn't feel like they could tell him anything or confide in him.

When Jeremy spoke about trying to win Harper's hand, Spencer looked to him with a bemused expression. For some reason, it all sounded very old-fashioned to him, but he supposed at the same time he should appreciate that his friend was being considerate. Spencer leaned forward and picked a chip out of his tray, putting it into his mouth as he bought himself some time to think. "Damn right you'd move along without any fuss," Spencer remarked, in response to if Harper said no to Jeremy. "Not because of me or anything. But Harper wouldn't stand for any bullshit anyway, would she?" he asked, finally cracking a smile.

"I have no real reason to stand in your way," he relented. "Harper's old enough to date who she wants and I suppose I'm glad it's not some dodgy bastard I don't know. Just one I already do. I just don't want this to cause problems for us. Harper's already pissed of with me about a whole heap of shit and I can't promise you're not going to get stuck in the middle of anything between us." He let out a sigh. "And is this going to get in the way of you being on guard duty? What you going to do if she contradicts one of mine or Bruce's orders?" he asked. He wasn't expecting an answer, more leaving it there for Jeremy to think about.

Jeremy's House
~Bethnal Green, London~
Jeremy Gray

1655752076559.png
Spencer made a good point, and Jeremy knew it. Already he had to face the decision of defending Harper or defending her, yet he had found his way through it and based on that he would keep finding his way through it. “I trust you Spencer, and if there’s anything that I ever end up in a hard place on, trust I’ll come to you first. I didn’t with this only because it slipped out with Billy, and since then things have been a little hectic to say the least. Thankfully I went and got myself uglified so you would have to stop by and make time for me.” He winked playfully, glad his friend was at least open to the idea presented to him.

He looked happier than he had in a long time, sitting before his best friend, knowing that he wouldn’t down right tell him no if he wanted to try wooing his sister. “As for guard duty, no. I’d give my life for Harper in a heartbeat, you know that. I’d do it for any one of you King’s. Having feelings for Harper just means I will fight harder, and longer, to protect her then someone she can intimidate. You know damn well that Harper would run anyone else off in a matter of a day or less.” He laughed gently, finishing the rest of his food that he could handle, before pushing the plate away from him.

“I don’t know how this might work, if it will even work, I still gotta get an answer from her first. There’s a lot of if’s right now, I just wanted to make sure it didn’t catch you by surprise. Honestly, I don’t know if I could have tried in good faith if I hadn’t talked to you first. It’s like a book, you’ll figure it out as you write the story. Speaking of things going on with Harper….” Jeremy trailed off, telling Spencer about the confession that Harper had made about feeling addicted, swearing him to silence. Jeremy in turn promised to keep an eye on her, and if things did not start improving, he would bring Harper round to talk to Spencer and Bruce about what’s been going on. Right now, Harper was doing the best thing she could – she had chosen someone, anyone, to confide in and was taking the steps towards saving herself, but if she felt betrayed or untrusted it might push her the wrong way.

With Spencer as her brother, he deserved to know Jeremy’s concern that if she didn’t break the habit sooner rather than later, she would end up much like Laura. He also trusted his friend to give him a chance to be the support Harper needed, while quietly keeping him updated on her progress. Part of Jeremy felt terrible for betraying her trust to Spencer, telling him what she had said, but he deserved to know. Spencer may not be the best at being open to talk to, or at hearing what others had to say, but he loved Harper. In the meantime, Jeremy would be going back to Harper’s place to finish up his recovery and keep an eye on her simultaneously.

The future held a lot of promise, both for heart break and joy, but only time would tell which it would be.

Harper's Apartment
Friday 19th July 1985
~ London ~

Billy King

1657824551883.pngAs the family drama grew, Billy was beginning to find it difficult to be on good terms with everyone at once. Spencer and Bruce clearly had some kind of beef with each other that they had to sort out, Alex was at odds with May and Darcey and Billy was getting frustrated at his uncle’s lack of understanding towards Harper. None of the King siblings were particularly close in age, but Billy and Harper had always had a close relationship despite the four years difference between them. That she was now falling out with the family threatened to ruin that closeness, leaving him feeling torn between her and the others.

While Bruce had his reasons not to include Harper in the initial conversation and the vote regarding May’s relation to them as Trevor’s daughter, Billy couldn’t justify leaving her out of it. He was worried about losing her to Trevor more than he was worried about losing his uncle’s trust; if she saw his silence as a betrayal, he wasn’t sure how he would manage to maintain their closeness anymore.

Unable to imagine his life without their friendship, Billy had gone behind his uncle’s and brothers’ backs and headed to Harper’s house the next morning. Part of him wanted to fill her in on the magical night he had spent with Erik and tell her that they were now a couple, but there were more important things that needed to be discussed so he was prepared to keep that to himself. If the conversation went well and the mood ended on a high enough note, he might choose to share his news with her afterwards, but for now he had to stick to the plan.

When he arrived at her apartment he checked his watch and cursed under his breath. It wasn’t even 9 in the morning - she might not even be awake yet. Billy knocked on the door anyway to try his luck. Some time went by and he tried knocking again. “Harper?” he called out. “You in? It’s Billy.”

Harper's Apartment
~ London ~
Harper King
July 19th, 1985
945ef9d599d746d74fd9c1f46416a573.jpeg
Harper's sleep hadn't managed to get any better despite being out of the hospital for quite some time now. Knowing exactly what she needed to do to get better was one thing, but actually doing it was a whole other ordeal within itself that she wasn't sure she was ready to face. The youngest of the King siblings prided herself on not needing anyone's help. Ever. While Bruce and her older siblings had looked out for her and kept a roof over her head, Harper was a pretty self-sufficient child. At least she liked to think she had been. Kids who picked on her at school faced her wrath most of the time but she knew that her older siblings also roughed a few of them up from time to time, which she hated. She hated everyone worrying about protecting her all the time and that was one of the things that she found most annoying about Jeremy.

Despite the rough night they had before, they both managed to makeup and Harper was starting to see that perhaps she could trust him. Harper asked him to spend the night and when he obliged he fell asleep shortly after she had attempted to, he was of course in her spare room but she knew he'd fallen asleep because of the familiar and sometimes obnoxious sound of him snoring filled her apartment. Sleep came in short little moments but before she knew it her clock had said it was 8 a.m. Sighing, Harper stood up from her bed and made her way into her living room where she was about to plop herself down onto the couch. A knock on the door kept her standing as she looked at it curiously. She wasn't expecting anyone this morning and anyone who knew her well enough would know that normally, she didn't get up this early.

Continuing to stare at it, she wondered if her mind was playing some sort of trick on her and just when she was about to sit herself down on the couch again, another knock sounded followed by Billy's voice calling her name. Letting out a soft groan, Harper hobbled painfully towards the door, her body protesting with every movement she made after throwing herself out the window yesterday. Turning the locks on her door, she pulled it open, looking terribly exhausted and mildly annoyed. "Jesus, Billy. You do realize it's not even 9 a.m., right?" Her voice was full of her normal attitude as she looked him up and down. He looked different. Raising an eyebrow, her eyes finally met his, "You look like you've got something to tell me." She commented, noting the look in his eyes. Billy was never really good at keeping things from her...or anyone else. He didn't exactly have the best poker face. After a split moment of silence, Harper let out a sigh. "Come on in...I will make some coffee," Harper said, turning to walk inside her apartment, leaving it up to her brother to shut the door behind him on his way in. Once the door was shut, Harper looked toward her second bedroom wondering if Jeremy was going to wake up any moment. When no movement could be heard, Harper pointed towards the bedroom and placed a finger to her lips as she nodded towards her kitchen.

Once in the kitchen, Harper moved to make a pot of coffee, limping around slowly as she did and wincing every so often. "So...B, it's been a minute. I'm sure you didn't come over here to spend time with little old me...so what's up?" The attitude was still in her tone but it lacked its normal luster. Harper was extremely hurt by the way her family was shutting her out, intentionally or not. While she still felt closest to Billy, she also felt like she was losing him faster and faster as the days without seeing him went on. Out of everyone in her family, she was hurt by her disconnection from him the most.

Harper's Apartment
Friday 19th July 1985
~ London ~

Billy King

1657824704810.pngWhen Harper opened the door, Billy pulled a guilty grimace. “Sorry…I didn’t notice the time,” he said, keeping his voice down. “I just feel so chipper today!” Harper noted that he looked like he had something to tell her and he nodded, bouncing slightly on his heels. “I do,” he confirmed. “And trust me, you’re gonna want to hear it.”

Despite the lack of sleep Billy had had the night before, he had woken up feeling fully refreshed and alive, albeit a little sore. He knew he was in for a productive day, so while he would have loved to stay in bed and watch Erik sleep a little longer, he felt too energised not to get moving and start his day. His first port of call had been Harper's place, not wanting to wait any longer to tell her the news about May. Even though she didn’t seem too pleased to be woken up, she let him follow her back inside. He locked the door behind him and when he turned back around Harper gestured at him to keep quiet, indicating that someone was sleeping in her guest room.

Billy frowned, confused as to who would have stayed the night at her place. Surely she wasn’t having one night stands in her condition - so that only really left Jeremy. He pulled a face at the thought while his sister set about making coffee. Even though Jeremy had told him he was in love with Harper and Billy decided he could see them making a nice couple, it would have surprised him if they were already sleeping together given how much pain Harper was clearly still in. He was watching her limp when she asked him what he wanted, instantly assuming he would only come over if it was important.

“Hey, why do ya' say that?” he said, moving closer to her. “You know I love hangin’ out with you. And I miss you.” He paused, looking away briefly. “I’m sorry I ain’t been round much, Harper. I hope you don’t think I’ve been forgettin’ ya’ or nothin’ like that, ‘cause it ain’t like that. I just…well, there’s a lot to catch you up on. Let’s sit down, yeah?” Remembering that they were in the kitchen so as not to wake her sleeping guest, Billy took a seat at the kitchen table rather than move into the living room. “What happened to you, by the way?” he questioned, gesturing towards the scratches on her skin. “You look like you’ve been up to no good, Harp.”

Once she placed the coffee down in front of him and sat down, Billy pulled the mug closer and held it in a loose grip. “Right…so, we had a meeting yesterday,” he told her, already anticipating her reaction. “Bruce called it. Me, Spencer, Alex, and Darcey was there as well. He said he didn’t want you there ‘cause he’s worried about you meetin’ with Trevor again, or something…” He trailed off, not wanting to stir up another sensitive topic. “Anyway, um…so May was askin’ Christian to find out information on her father, ‘cause she never knew who he was. So Christian did his thing, and…well, he found him.” Billy looked into her eyes, wearing a nervous look. Erik had successfully distracted him from the overwhelming news, to the point that he hadn’t even ended up telling him. Now that he was repeating it to Harper, however, the craziness of it all was coming back to him. “Harper, May’s father…it’s Trevor,” he told her. “May’s our half-sister.”

Interactions
Mentioned:
BasDorcha BasDorcha May

Harper's Apartment
~ London ~
Harper King
July 19th, 1985
Harper narrowed her tired eyes at Billy as he dared to ask why she assumed that he only came over to tell her something important. A part of her was desperate to go off on him -- but she decided against it knowing that Jeremy was still fast asleep in her spare room. She couldn't risk him telling Billy about her sneaking off yesterday. Biting her bottom lip to keep from saying anything she would surely regret, she allowed her brother to apologize to her for not being around. He did seem like he missed her but Harper was having a hard time believing that he'd simply come over early in the morning when he knew she wasn't the best morning person. When he expressed his hope that she didn't think he'd forgotten about her, Harper bit down on her lip harder deciding to grab them both a mug of coffee as he sat down at the kitchen table.

As Harper reached for the mugs in her cabinet above the coffee pot, she winced, clearly still sore from yesterday's endeavor. Billy suddenly asked what happened to her, obviously having noticed the scratches on her skin. He stated that it looked like she had been up to no good and Harper froze. Billy was the only one who was able to see through her most of the time and catch on to her antics early on. Not wanting him to stick his nose in business he didn't need to, Harper calmly poured coffee into the mugs, making Billy's the way he liked it as well as her own. "Jeremy and I just had some fun yesterday," Harper stated blandly, stirring the coffee in her mug for a few moments before looking at Billy with raised brows, daring him to clarify the definition of fun.

Knowing that he wouldn't, Harper sat down at the table, placing his mug in front of him as he quickly changed the subject. Harper carefully sipped at the hot drink in her hand, careful to not burn her tongue as she blew on the liquid delicately. Hearing that there had been a meeting yesterday, one that she wasn't invited to, wasn't that surprising. It was becoming more and more typical as the days went on. Her Uncle's reasoning behind her not being in attendance was interesting -- surely he understood that Harper would do what she felt like doing when she wanted to do it.

Harper was silent as she peered at Billy behind her mug, holding it with two hands as she took another tentative sip from it. He informed her that May had been asking Christian to find out information on her father and that didn't particularly interest her at least not at this early in the morning. When Billy stated that Christian found him, Harper raised a single brow as Billy hesitated, his face looking more and more nervous. "Billy?" Harper asked curiously, Well...spit it out." She demanded, her heart for some reason starting to race in her chest as a sudden realization started to hit her. Her mind had figured it out faster than she or Billy could formulate the right words but eventually, her brother persisted and told her that Trevor was May's father. That she was their half-sister.

Harper squeeze the mug between her hands so hard that she thought she was going to break it. It ended up burning her hands more than anything as it was still piping hot. She slammed it against the table, causing some of the coffee to slosh out of it onto the table but Harper didn't pay it any mind. Harper looked at her brother with anger in her eyes. "While I appreciate this honesty, Billy. This should be coming from Bruce!" Harper stated in a loud whisper. Her Uncle had been dishonest with her on more than one occasion and Harper's trust wasn't easy to earn back after betrayal. And now -- here she was looking like the fool for thinking maybe she could have trusted Trevor. How come he never mentioned May? Was it likely that he didn't even know about her existence? Harper couldn't figure it out. All she knew was that the people she could actually trust, her family, were making decisions without her.

"And what are we supposed to do? Just welcome her into the family? Is she really going to want to be a part of this fuck fest?"
mentioned: BasDorcha BasDorcha

Harper's Apartment
Friday 19th July 1985
~ London ~

Billy King

1657824812046.pngFrom the way Harper was looking at him, Billy could tell that she had some idea of what he was about to say. Still, when he did reveal who May’s father was, she reacted in anger, gripping the piping hot mug of coffee before slamming it down on the table and causing some to splash over the side. Billy instinctively leaned away, but didn’t avoid eye contact with his sister when she glared at him. However, it seemed to be Bruce she was angry with rather than him. “Yeah, I know,” Billy sighed, sitting back in his seat and glancing down to his hands. Given his positive relationship with his uncle, he didn’t exactly feel comfortable bad-mouthing him behind his back, but he also didn’t want to say anything that might push Harper away. “I dunno, Harper…he don’t really get it. He wants to protect you from Trevor, and I see why…but he don’t seem to realise that he’s drivin’ ya’ away.” Billy looked up at her anyway, concern etched on his features. “I think you and him need to sit down and talk, sis. Let him know how you feel. If he ain’t askin’ your opinion it’s ’cause he thinks you’ve got enough on your plate already.”

That seemed like the right thing to say, and Billy did believe it to an extent - but what he didn’t point out was that he actually felt like Bruce was leaving her out because he knew her opinion would oppose his own, and he wanted Trevor out of the picture with as few obstacles as possible. He could see where the man was coming from given the ways in which Trevor had damaged the family, and there was clearly some residual trauma both in his brothers and in Bruce from it all. However, he could also see that they were letting their trauma get between them and Harper, and felt caught in the middle of it.

Harper asked what they were supposed to do about May being their half-sister, and the way she phrased it really emphasised her current resentment towards the family. When she asked if May would even want to be a part of it, Billy just shrugged. “I can’t speak for her, but we’re gonna give her the chance to decide. But she has to know the truth about Trevor. And once we’ve told her all the shit he did, she can choose to either go after him or stay with us. That’s the plan, anyway…” He held off emphasising that they weren’t going to let Trevor be a part of the family along with her, since that was already a touchy subject with Harper - but he had a feeling she understood that well enough, anyway.

“So yeah, at some point there’s probably gonna be a meeting with May to tell her everythin’,” he told her. “You should talk to Bruce, Harper. I don’t want there bein' bad blood between you ‘cause of Trevor. I mean, you don’t really want to fall out, do you?”

Interactions
Mentioned:
BasDorcha BasDorcha May

Her Apartment
~ London ~
Harper King

July 19th, 1985

"How can I talk to someone that won't listen to me, Billy?" Harper asked when he suggested she talk to Bruce. "My whole life...my entire life, I've tried to be the good kid, I've tried to get good grades, go to university...to not stick my nose in the family business, and yet, no one includes me in these decisions." Harper ran her hands through her unwashed hair, pulling slightly at it as they shook uncontrollably. "I feel like I'm screaming into a room and no one is hearing me! For years, it's always been what everyone else wanted but what the hell!? what about me, Billy? I'm a person too, I'm just as much a part of this family as any of you boys are." Harper said, her voice gradually getting louder as tears threatened to stream down her face.

Billy went on to say that they had decided that they were going to give May a chance to decide and Harper felt her heart shatter into a million pieces. So they were giving her choices now? Choices that Harper never had. The tears that were barely hanging on fell down her face quickly and Harper wiped them up just as fast. It was all she needed to hear from her brother, that May was getting a choice and that she wasn't. Billy went on to say that there was probably going to be some meeting with May to tell her everything before reiterating that she needed to talk with Bruce.

He thought that this was about Trevor, that their father was causing some sort of rouse between them all but Billy didn't know half of it. "This isn't about Trevor, Billy. It's never been about him. This has been about being able to be my own person, to have my own life. All of our family's life decisions have brought on monumental consequences, Billy. I mean just look at me, really look at me. Every moment of every day I'm in pain! And when brief sleep does come, I'm having nightmares about that attack!" Harper hissed, trying to keep her voice down.

"Bruce and Spencer always thought they knew what would be good for me, how to keep me safe...and yet all they are doing is pushing me away. No one is hearing me. No one. I've never been able to make decisions of my own, my whole life has been carefully manipulated and planned to keep me safe. Don't you want to see the world, Billy? Remember talking about going to America?" Harper asked, looking at her brother with desperate red eyes, "How can either of us be free to do that with all this shit going on? Really?"

Before he could answer, Harper, sat back in her chair and crossed her arms, "If May knew what was good for her, she'd run as far away as she could from all of this, before she ends up like me."

Harper's Apartment
Friday 19th July 1985
~ London ~

Billy King

1657824934315.pngWatching his sister grow increasingly agitated, Billy felt helpless to calm her down. He knew that he was hearing her real, unadulterated thoughts about what the family had been putting her through by always keeping her safely on the side rather than let her into the centre of their family unit. They all loved her deeply, but how would she know that if they treated her differently, left her out of important family matters? Billy hadn't appreciated their uncle's decision to leave Harper out of the vote and had made that quite clear to him, but that was just one example. Harper was talking about a whole lifetime of being excluded. And there wasn't much he felt he could do to make things right.

His brows furrowed slightly when she explained that her reaching out to Trevor wasn't about him, but about gaining some agency in her life - he worried that she was going after him just to prove that she could do something on her own and wasn't thinking of how the man could hurt her - but when she pointed out how much pain she was in every day, physically and also mentally, he softened. She was right - Harper wasn't allowed to be involved in the business, yet still suffered the consequences of the firm's decisions. She was a walking example of how bad such feuds could get, and yet none of it had had anything to do with her.

Billy hung his head as he listened to her complain about Spencer and Bruce wanting to keep her safely out of the way; it was hard to hear, because he wanted her to be safe too, but he couldn't admit it to her...not if he wanted to stay on her good side. He and Harper had always been close, and that bond meant that he had always been the one to stand in her corner and vice versa. It was the reason he had stood up to Bruce about excluding her from the vote, the reason he had chosen to come out to her before anyone else, and the reason she was opening up to him now.

She was giving him a lot to think about, as she went on to ask him if he ever wanted to break free from the firm and see the world. It sounded like a dream, but...he had already achieved his dreams. He was happy in London with all his family, his boyfriend and his career as an architect. He didn't really want much more out of life. But he understood why his sister would want more...she didn't have what she wanted - freedom, autonomy, independence. Billy didn't feel completely free, of course - he wished he was able to be openly gay and love Erik freely and publicly without facing some sort of reaction - but at least he had love. In contrast, she was restricted by far more - an overprotective family, debilitating injuries and what sounded like PTSD, not to mention the sexist and homophobic society they lived in.

Even if he knew how to respond, Harper wasn't giving him much of a chance to speak. Slumping back in her chair, she folded her arms and said how May would be better off escaping the family before she met the same fate. Billy wrapped his hands around his hot mug of coffee before looking at her, trying to catch her eye. "Well, I'm hearin' ya'," he assured her, keeping his voice deep and soft in an attempt to calm her down. "And I'm glad you can tell me this stuff. I get it...you've taken far too many hits for a family that don't let you into what's goin' on, and you're the last person to deserve it. You know, it pains me to see you like this, Harp..."

Abandoning his mug, he instead reached over to her side of the table in hopes that she would take his hand. "You know I love you?" he asked in earnest. "I'm sorry I ain't been payin' enough attention to how you've felt about all this. I know I've been figurin' some shit out too, but I want you to feel like you can still talk to me about things, yeah? Like we always have." He bore his eyes into hers, hoping he wouldn't have to explicitly bring up the fact that she was still taking morphine - not to mention the hardly believable excuse she had given for being covered in cuts and scratches. "'Cause if you're struggling with anythin', I'd want to help you. No matter how bad it is."

Letting his gaze wander as he thought some more, he used his free hand to take a drink of his coffee. "What is it you really want, then?" he asked. "I know you said independence and the freedom to make your own choices in life, but what does that look like? I mean...Trevor, for instance. Do you really want a relationship with the guy that killed our mum, neglected us and abused Spencer? Or are you just rebelling against Bruce 'cause he don't want us goin' near him?"

Interactions
Mentioned:
BasDorcha BasDorcha May

Her Apartment
~ London ~
Harper King
July 19th, 1985

Harper knew Billy was doing his absolute best to listen to her and allow her to be heard but what he didn't understand was that while he listened, no one else would. Jeremy tried to show her that same compassion but it didn't matter if they listened to her...they weren't the ones who had a vice grip on her life. Billy sympathized with her and reached out for her hand. Harper stared at it for a moment before taking it and giving it a gentle squeeze.

"I know, Billy." Harper murmured in response to him saying that he loved her, "I love you too." She said. He apologized that he hadn't been paying enough attention to how she felt about everything. He said that he wanted her to feel like she could talk to him about things...like they always had. In a matter of a few months, things had changed between them. They use to be able to tell each other every little secret they had, blossoming with youth and energy that it seemed neither of them had anymore...or at least Harper didn't.

Billy mentioned that if she was struggling with anything, he wanted to help her and Harper physically flinched almost ready to pull her hand away. His eyes glanced at the multiple scratches and cuts on her and Harper's eyes followed them. "I just never expected that our family would have the power to do any of this Billy...while I understand what the Irish have done to us, I can't help but think of the people we are hurting in the process," Harper said, skirting around the drug issues she was currently having. Billy didn't need to be involved in the shit she was going through. She didn't want to drag anyone else down with her, they didn't deserve it.

Harper's attention landed on him once more as he asked what she really wanted. Acknowledging that she wanted the freedom to make her own choices in life, he asked what that looked like for her. He then brought up Trevor and Harper's eyes narrowed at her brother. He asked if she really wanted a relationship with a guy that killed their mum, neglected them all, and hurt Spencer. Harper couldn't help but feel like Billy was making her feel guilty for wanting to understand just who her father was. Their father.

He then asked if she was just rebelling against Bruce because he didn't want them going near him. Harper's anger went from 0 to 100 at that moment and she tugged her hand away sharply. "Is that what you all think? That I just rebel to make some sort of point that you all aren't going to listen to anyway? That I just act out to get back at your lot?" Harper said through clenched teeth, extremely hurt that the brother she looked up to the most was chopping her up to be some person who just did things out of spite.

"You know you're starting to sound a lot like Spencer! Who has used his abuse as a crutch to treat everyone like shit forever! Not everyone wants to hurt us, Billy, including me!" Harper's voice was getting louder and she realized that perhaps she might end up waking up Jeremy in the next room so that he could kick her brother out. "Would it be the worst thing in the world for me to decide for myself? Who Trevor really is? You all are so focused on not hurting me that you are doing nothing but that in the process!"

Harper was shouting now, her face red with anger as she shook. "My whole life, all you men have just chalked up my behavior to me being a woman, hysterical and wanting to rebel...but have you ever thought for once about maybe...maybe..." She couldn't even finish her sentence as her limbs shook out of control. "You all have been so concerned about me ending up like mum that you've been smothering me and pretty soon Billy, I'm not going to have enough oxygen left to survive. Trevor Stewart isn't a saint but Laura didn't bother to stick around for me...when I needed her the most. She stayed and abandoned us, and that's so much worse than what that man ever did. False hope is not something that should be toyed with.."

"I think you should leave."
She said, her voice taut and deep.

Harper's Apartment
Friday 19th July 1985
~ London ~

Billy King

1657825131830.png It made enough sense that Harper would be thinking of the lives lost rather than the firm's objectives - after all, she had never been trained to work in the family business and wouldn't have been at all desensitised to it. Even Billy still struggled to get over all the death and violence and he had been working with his uncles and brothers for a number of years now. He was no longer overwhelmed by their family's power, but Harper apparently was still unable to get her head around it. Without any of that power being handed to her, it made sense that she felt like an outsider to the family.

Yet, as much as he thought he understood his sister deep down, Billy was proved wrong when Harper suddenly jerked her hand away from his, her temper taking over. She was clearly offended at his suggestion that she was speaking to Trevor as a way to show Bruce how far she was willing to go when he denied her freedom.

"Our lot?" Billy retorted with a frown. "Harper, you are our lot. And it's not what we all think, it's just what I'm askin' ya'. 'Cause you're clearly fed up with bein' treated with less respect than everyone else and havin' less freedom, so it'd make sense if you wanted to rebel by doing exactly what Bruce doesn't want ya' to do. I ain't accusin' ya' of nothin', Harper, I just want you to be careful and make sure this is really what you want, not just what Bruce doesn't want. Alright?"

But she was having none of it. She accused Billy of being like Spencer, claiming that their older brother had been using his abuse as an excuse to treat the rest of them badly. Billy's jaw dropped open, shocked that she would think that about Spencer. "Oh, so if someone abused you your whole childhood, tormented and neglected and humiliated you, you wouldn't wanna stop them from doin' that to others?" Though he had entered her apartment with a firm resolve to stay calm and sympathetic no matter what, Billy couldn't help the anger that was beginning to rise within him in response to her venomous words. "'Course, what am I sayin'?" he mumbled, leaning back and looking away from her. "You wouldn't have a clue."

Harper was adamant that she ought to be granted the right to decide who Trevor was for her and by that point, Billy was struggling to be understanding anymore. "I just don't get why you want to," he firmly argued. "Do ya' just not care that he hurt us? Maybe I'll have your exes over for dinner, see if they're nice people now, become best friends with 'em? 'Cause I don't have to give a shit how they hurt you or ruined your life, do I, or how it'll make you feel to see me gettin' on so well with 'em?"

At that point, Billy could barely stand to listen to any more. Pushing himself up from the table, he went and stood at the other side of the kitchen to create some distance between them. "I would never call you hysterical, Harper," he spat, raising his voice above her. "You're makin' me out to be some -"

But her next words cut him off. He stopped short, not having expected her to bring their mum into it, let alone claim that she was worse than Trevor for dying when Harper was young and defenceless. She then told him to leave, but he stayed on the spot, staring at her in shock and wishing he had heard wrong. "How can you…" he uttered faintly. "She didn't abandon us, Harper. She died. She died because that fuckin' lowlife you want to call your father poisoned her with drugs 'til she couldn't - 'til she stopped breathin' -" By now Billy himself was struggling to breathe properly, unexpectedly emotional at his sister's hurtful words. "But he didn't help her, and he didn't help us, either. He failed us all, and then just left without givin' a flyin' fuck what happened to us!"

His chest felt tight from holding back tears. He couldn't remember the last time he had shed tears for his mother, but this time the pain was more from learning how Harper felt towards her, and how little he and his sister apparently understood each other. A tear splashed down his cheek and he reached up to fiercely wipe it away. "Yeah, I should leave," he mumbled, and brushed past her.

When he got to the door he turned around to face her. His anger abated slightly, concerned that if they left on bad terms then she wouldn’t speak to him even if she needed him. "Harper…” he said, his voice softening as he looked back at her. “I love you. Even when we fight you know I’ll come runnin’ if ya’ need me. So don’t bother tryna’ push me away. Do what you want with Trevor, whatever, but just…don’t forget about me an’ you.”

Interactions
Mentioned:
BasDorcha BasDorcha May

Her Apartment
~ London ~
Harper King
July 19th, 1985
"If any of this was about protecting me, Billy. You all wouldn't be involved in this shit show. We should be living normal lives, where I don't feel like someone is watching my back constantly. Where you could be free to live with Erik and build a life with him. Where Shona and Spencer could raise our nephew without fear of him being used as bait by our enemy!" Harper insisted. "Spencer is focusing all of his energy on that sorry sack of shit that he is letting others suffer the consequences of his lack of focus! Me, Billy! I'm a victim of that!"

"You won't ever understand, Billy. You won't ever understand! None of you will. You all had both of our parents around, whether they were shit or not. They cared to stay around for you all long enough to make a difference...good or bad!" Harper said, her voice getting uncontrollably loud. "You never had to wonder, you never had to wonder if our mum loved you more than her addiction. Never had to wonder if perhaps, you hadn't been born things would be different." Harper's voice trembled as tears fell down her face. "You never had to deal with the guilt of knowing that things had gotten so bad with them while she was carrying me that both of them just decided to quit. Even if it had nothing to do with me, it will always be there."

"So excuse me if I saw that Laura abandoned us, abandoned me! She was by no means the perfect parent you all paint her to be. Any mother worth a damn would have gotten clean long before she had more children. I have no desire for them and I even know that." Harper's words were full of spite and hate that she'd never been able to release. She had to sit in the back seat for years while her family talked about how wonderful their mother was, remembering her clearer than Harper had once wished to as well.

But the more she grew up, the more she realized the flaws. Whether that was initially caused by Trevor or not, her mother was an adult...she could make decisions for herself. She had the independence that Harper so desperately wanted. It baffled her that she never took it. "Who's fault is it then? My fault that I keep asking for drugs, or the doctors who keep prescribing them? Or even further, is it Bruce and Spencers' fault for distributing them?"

Harper didn't want her brother to leave. She didn't want to be alone. Knowing that she would just walk into her room and take 4 more pills to numb the pain. But he brushed past her all the same at her request. She turned as he said her name, her face felt numb with fear as his voice softened, telling her that he loved her once more. He promised that even if they were fighting he'd come running if she needed him. Normally her lip would twitch, a smile forming as he told her not to bother to push him away. She'd make a joke that signaled everything would be okay...but Harper didn't feel like it would. He told her not to forget about him and her. Her eyes looked up from their place on the floor to meet his, "And don't forget about me..." When I'm gone. She finished the sentence in her head, walking towards the door to let him out without so much as another word before shutting it behind him.

- END OF SCENE -​

Bruce's House
~ London ~
July 5th 1980

Harper King
lili-reinhart-smile-nr.jpeg
Sometimes it just felt to get away for a while...even if the destination of escape was only in her head. Summer break from Uni was set to be long, especially since her Uncle Bruce and Spencer took it upon themselves to restrict her freedom even more after turning 18. Now at 19...things started to feel even more restricted - if that was even possible. She had been caught sneaking out the night before, having gone to a party in the west end of London for one of her friend's birthdays. Things got kind of rowdy, and cops were called...Harper ended up in handcuffs. She was only trying to do what was right. But all Bruce and Spencer could see was that she got in trouble with the law. They didn't even arrest her...they just brought her home in the back of a patrol car. Delivering her home to her Uncle, leaving her to explain herself to him while shifting uncomfortably in handcuffs. No matter how she tried to explain that she had only punched someone because he tried to force himself on her best friend without their consent felt as though that wasn't a good enough reason. No charges were pressed...fortunately and the only thing that was left bruised was that assholes ego and his eye.

So...Harper was on house arrest for a few days, as she liked to call it. While she formally wasn't grounded or anything, Harper knew better than to push her luck with Bruce...especially since she was still living under his roof. So here she was, laying upside down on the couch, her head hanging off of it as she read a book, getting lost in the fantasy of it as her eyes traced every word on the pages. She only started it a few hours ago and was nearly done. The blonde had been so enthralled in her book, that she almost didn't notice when someone stopped in the doorway, staring openly at her. Almost.

"You know it's impolite to stare, Jeremy." Harper hummed lazily, still paying attention to the words on her current page. After finding a good place to stop, she dog-eared the page to save her place before snapping the book shut and staring back at him in her position upside down. "Never see someone read a book upside down before? Or are you surprised to see me with a book in my hand instead of you?"

Harper watched as Spencer suddenly appeared, commenting that she needed to be more sociable and Harper let out an annoyed scoff. "I'm being perfectly pleasant. It was just an innocent question, geez Spence, lighten up." Spencer was gone down the hall before she could say anything more, leaving her alone to stare at Jeremy once more. "I read nowhere that hanging upside could help with a hangover...and seeing as I'm not allowed to leave the house the rest of the weekend...I thought I'd bury myself in a book for an escape. " She picked up her well-worn hard-book Little Women novel and tossed it onto the couch beside her. "They didn't send you here to be my watchdog, did they? Just because I got an...escort home last night doesn't mean I'm going to get into drugs or anything like that. I swear Bruce can be so dramatic." Harper understood what her Uncle had been through in his life, who he'd lost. But Harper couldn't help but feel like it was unfair that he let those experiences dictate her life. She was still free for the most part...at least for now.

Bruce's House
~ London ~
July 5th 1980

Jeremy Gray

1659645317715.pngJeremy had come over to visit Spencer for a while during a day off when he had happened upon Harper. His friend was coming up to greet him as he stood still, watching Harper reading upside down on the couch. It had been almost a year to the day since that night at the party, the night that he had almost kissed her senseless, ready to throw away all his lifelong control for her in one instant. Since then he had avoided being around her too much, he didn’t feel right having these kinds of feelings for Spencer’s sister, after all he had known Harper since she was pretty much born, how weird would it be for him to have feelings for her, almost 10 years younger then him?

Shaking his head, he nodded at her as Spencer walked by, prompting his friend to comment on her antisocial behavior. When Harper made a face back, Jeremy fought a grin on his face, the corners twitching up just a bit before returning to their normal straight line, his eyes still watching her. This always happened – its why he limited his contact with her. Why couldn’t he take his eyes off her. “I’ve read like that plenty of times… Just surprised you haven’t gotten a headache yet. You will, as soon as you sit up. That’s the moment I’m here for.”

Jeremy took a seat across from her, sitting back in the chair with his foot crossed at the knee, watching her with a contemplative look. Harper had certainly grown up. Thinking for a few minutes, he huffed at her, waving his hand in the air. “You know, they’re just trying to do what’s best for you. Spencer and Bruce love you, as does everyone else, they just want to protect you. That’s what older brothers are for. Guys are shite, drugs are worse, and no one wants to see you end up like Trevor or Laura. I know you’re a spit fire, but many people would give anything to have people who cared half as much about them as your family does. The sooner you grow up and realize this, accept it and find a way to make it flow with your life, you’ll be better off. The last thing you want is me to end up on baby sitting with you, then I’d be able to drive you crazy all day with no laughing at your jokes, not being swayed by your antics, and not able to be convinced into doing the things you want. You’d go bonkers.”

He gave her a small grin, leaning forward to snatch the book she had laid down beside her, stroking the cover the way one might stroke a familiar love. “Little women, I bet your favorite is Jo, little rebel that she is. Maybe we should put you in a dress and forbid you to show your ankles. You’d probably show them anyway, now that I think about it.” He laughed a little and tapped her forehead with the book before tossing it back to the couch.

Bruce's House
~ London ~
July 5th 1980

Harper King
Harper narrowed her eyes at Jeremy as he said that he was waiting for her to sit up and get a headache. "Well isn't that cruel of you, I have said it more than once and I will say it again, my brothers are rubbing off on you in the worst ways possible." The blonde said, knowing that they could most likely hear her from down the hall. Harper smirked hearing Spencer grumble, having clearly gotten under his skin as she normally did. Jeremy watched her and Harper stared at him with an eyebrow raised.

He lectured her on how they were just looking out for her and Harper rolled her eyes. It was the lecture she always got from most people. How lucky she was to have the family she did, that they cared so much for her. "Oh well doesn't that just sound like my own personal hell?" Harper said teasingly at him, referring to him babysitting her.

"And I'm not going to end up anything like Trevor or Laura. You all should be more worried about Alex...he can't keep it in his pants for longer than a minute. All this time and energy spent protecting me should be spent on making sure that man doesn't create a whole new disease with his little soldier." Harper said matter-o-factly with another one of her wicked smirks.

"Besides, Spencer, Alex, and Billy have done far worse than me and you know it." Harper said looking him dead in the eyes. She watched him closely as he stroked the cover of it. His assumption of who she favored in the novel was spot on, unsurprisingly. Letting out a laugh at his comment, Harper nodded her head, her blonde locks scraping against the floor. "Why hide them when they are one of my best assets? Everyone tends to think I'm a harlot anyway...might as well give them a show while I'm at it -- at least for my benefit."

He tapped her forehead with the book and Harper reached to swipe it away, too slow clearly as he tossed it back onto the couch. Slithering from her spot, she rolled off of it before landing on the floor with ease. The dizziness made her hesitate in getting up, so she sat on the floor with her legs crossed, hair all disheveled from flipping it. "You've been avoiding me lately." She said suddenly. "I'd like to think I'm not that scary...but maybe Billy told you something he shouldn't have. He said a lot of things the night of your graduation party..." She trailed off, her cheeks blushing slightly at the memory. "My family isn't working you too hard, are they? An educated man such as yourself doesn't need to be tangled up in the buffoonery caused by the King boys."

Bruce's House
~ London ~
July 5th 1980
Jeremy Gray

1659645317715.png
It was true he was sure, that Jeremy acted like Spencer – after all, Jeremy looked up to Spencer as a role model and as his best friend. Spencer grouching from down the hall just made him laugh again. Why was it to easy to laugh in her presence? Hadn’t he been working on building his calmer and more adult like exterior? Attempting to straighten out his face, he forced a frown and rolled his eyes at her. Her own personal hell? More like a torture fest designed specifically to hurt him in ways he’d never imagined. He nipped his thumb, chewing on the edge near his nail as he watched Harper, forcing himself to keep his eyes on her face.

Jeremy had been about to say something when he choked, Harper’s insult of Alex catching him more off guard then normally, causing the man to cough. “If you’re a harlot, shouldn’t you give Alex more of a break? After all, that’s just boys being boys, isn’t it?” he laughed, even he didn’t believe that. It made him happy to know he had been right about Jo though, Harper was definitely a live version of her if he could ever picture someone cast for her spot.

Her flip off the couch almost brought a groan from his lips, only stopped by him roughly biting the inside of his lip and causing it too bleed. Did she not realize what all those flash of curves, bends, stretches and tasseled hair could do to someone? Likely not, she was still pretty young, at least in his mind. Gulping, he solidified himself against those thoughts. When she called him out for avoiding her, he wasted no time denying it, “No, I’m not avoiding you, and you are definitely not scary – I mean, to me anyways. I’ve just been working hard… Trying to find my place in the world, you know?” He gave her a small smile and reached forward, flicking very lightly the end of her nose. “Ahh, but I like the buffoonery, it makes me look smarter, when really, I’m just a normal guy.”

Bruce's House
~ London ~
July 5th 1980

Harper King
Harper tilted her head, in a way a predator would take a closer look at their prey. He hadn't wasted a second denying he was scared of her and a small smile crept on her face at the denial. But she didn't say anything as he explained that he was just trying to find his place in the world. Harper could understand that not really belong in the world she was exposed to now...not really fitting in anywhere. Like the wrong puzzle piece to a nearly complete puzzle. The smile on her face faded at the thought, not noticing when he leaned forward.

Jeremy flicked the flip of her nose and Harper jumped slightly, before scrunching her nose and shaking her head, though the smile returned to her face. "Just a normal guy huh? I guess anyone can look normal compared to my brothers." Harper said with a small giggle. "Still, you hardly come over to visit anymore. While I may not be your biggest fan, I did enjoy it when you would bring me new books to read. I've read Little Women just about a million times now. Could recite it as a manuscript during my next acting course from memory if I wanted." Harper settled back against the bottom of the couch, crossing her arms.

"Had to miss out on an audition today, because I got an escort home." Harper said with a huff and shook her head. "If my family doesn't let me stretch my wings how the hell can I ever...as they say...fly the nest. Theater jobs are already difficult to come by and now I'm flaking on auditions. Seems as though Bruce wants me to be home for eternity with him." She grumbled. Although she wouldn't say it...she could understand why her Uncle wanted her so close, after all, he lost.

Realizing she was complaining like a child, Harper let out a long sigh. "I may or may not have been eavesdropping the other day, but Spencer told me you were out with some chippy the other night. How'd that go? Surprised someone as ancient as you haven't settled down yet. It's no mystery why my other brothers haven't...but they don't have your temperament."

Bruce's House
~ London ~
July 5th 1980
Jeremy Gray

1659645317715.png
It hadn’t taken long for Harper to answer an unasked question – Did you even notice I wasn’t around? It seems she had, which gave Jeremy a feeling of warmth through his chest. In his car outside was a stack of books he had been collecting since their last meeting, books he had thought she would like but he had never brought over. He would have to bring them in before he left. “Well, I guess I’ll just have to bring in your present from the car. I’ve had a while to collect up some new ones for you. I’ve got Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451, The Great Gatsby, and the Picture of Dorian Gray. I recommend that last one first. I think you’d like that.”

“Well, why don’t you audition for me, at least you’ll be practicing instead of missing out on that chance today. Let’s see your acting skills Harper!” He teased, but immediately some very inappropriate thoughts came to mind, causing a slight blush on his cheeks. “Kidding of course, but if you ever want to run lines, you are welcome to call me. I did a theatre class in uni, but I’m more of a behind the scenes type. Just give the guys some time Harper, they will come around. You’re the only girl, and the youngest, they are bound to be a little overprotective.” He laughed a little when she sighed, watching it dawn on her that she might be complaining a bit heavily at the moment, not that Jeremy minded.

Her question about him being out with a bird stung, though he couldn’t quite put his finger on why. It wasn’t like he wasn’t allowed to date, or had a reason not to, but he didn’t want her to see him with them, which made no sense at all. Harper would have to get use to it, just like him, if he was going to get over this little weird crush feeling he had for his best friends sister. Well, she likely would accept it just fine, HE needed to get over it.

“Yeah, we went to dinner and what not. She was okay, but didn’t really hit it off, so I dropped her off at home and went book shopping instead.” He grinned, as if he might be teasing. Was he? He didn’t say. He stood up, offering Harper a hand and pulling her up, “Common, lets go get the books.” As she stood, he couldn’t help it, he pulled her closer with a slight tug, causing her mid stand balance to rock forward. As if catching her by surprise, he slid his arm around her waist, pinning her against him for a brief moment before he let her go and stepped back. His mind was screaming to hold her again, it had felt so right, but he ignored the voice in his head. “Sorry, thought I pulled you too hard, didn’t want you to fall now did I?” Or maybe I did, maybe I wanted you to fall for me “Shutup.” He said, out loud and unintentionally.”

"Sorry” he blushed. “I was telling myself to shut up, not you.”

Bruce's House
~ London ~
July 5th 1980

Harper King
The young woman raised a brow at Jeremy's open invitation to help her with her lines. His cheeks reddened and her right brow only raised higher as he tried to play it off. "If they would ever let me out of my tower, I'll be sure to call you. For not, I've definitely missed that audition so no point in trying to rehearse for a part I didn't get." She said. He told her to give her brothers some time, that she was the only girl and the youngest, "Tell me something I don't know, Jere." Harper said, her tone full of fleeting sass, not really wanting to take any of her frustrations out on him. She knew she was complaining too much, but she felt like a bird trapped in a cage. Sooner or later she'd go stir crazy.

Harper was reading his face when she noticed how uncomfortable he looked about her mentioning the woman he went out with. It bothered her in a way that Harper didn't yet understand, hearing about him going out with another woman. She certainly wouldn't go out with him, that would probably end up getting them both killed.

But her mind briefly went back to the night of the party...the way his eyes traveled to her lips...the way her eyes suddenly did on their own accord now.

Suddenly, she remembered the books he had for her, before offering to help her with her lines. Taking his hand, he tugged a little harder and she was sent sprawling into his arms. Silent as a mouse, Harper only opened her mouth to speak but closed it as she was at a loss for words. He straightened her up as if she was just a small weightless doll, placing her on her feet with ease. He might as well pat her head while he was at it.

He apologized for it all and Harper simply shook her head. "It's alright...though my arm was the casualty in all of this. I think you pulled it out of its socket." She teased, though her wide smile instantly faded as he told her to shut up. "Huh?" Harper asked, looking confused as she stared at him.

Jeremy's explanation was even more confusing to her. "Have you always been this articulate?" She asked lightly, a teasing tone and smile showing again. "You may be taller than me but I've got long legs, race you to the car!" Harper said, shoving him aside quickly before taking off laughing all the way to the door.

Bruce's House
~ London ~
July 5th 1980
Jeremy Gray

1659645317715.png
Jeremy was aware of the way she was looking at him and was grateful for her joking away the awkwardness. "I guess I could always put it back, but then you might cry little baby, so maybe we’ll leave it alone.” He teased back. Once there was finally some space between them, only for her to catch him off guard with her question about him being articulate. Laughing he pushed her just as she took off running, him chasing after her. They ran out through the house, him a few steps behind her casually keeping up. Playfully he tried to grab her, missing as she slipped through his fingers and out the door.

His car was parked outside, an old beat-up green machine that he had owned for the better part of a decade. Finally catching up as they both ran into the side of the car as they came to a stop, he shook his head laughing, “Damnit, woman, head starts don’t count.” Taking the keys out of his pocket, he opened the back door on the driver side and behind it sat a stack of ten or fifteen books. Laying beside it was a crumpled piece of paper that looked like it had been folded. Looking embarrassed, he picked it up and tried to flatten it out, but the flower would not take shape. He crumbled it and stuck it in his pocket, trying to make no big deal about it. He had intended to give it to her with the first book he had picked up after that night, but since he never gave her the book, the flower had gotten smooshed beside the ever-growing pile.

Taking about half of them out, he handed them to her, then picked up the remaining amount. “Told you I had some books for you to read. I’ve been going to a little bookstore beside my house, nice little place, picked up a few things here and there for myself and these for you. I’ve been meaning to bring them by but…” He balanced the books in one hand and rubbed the back of his head, looking sheepish. “You know, just been busy. I’ll try to come around more.” He meant it, even if it meant he would feel weird. He could get over it if she was missing him, he didn’t like to make Harper sad. When she was little and he’d see her sad, he’d read to her, or play with her when her brothers didn’t want too.

He remembered one day Harper came home after school crying because some of the kids at school were mean to her. Her brothers had been out, and he had been hanging around helping Bruce with something waiting for them to return. Jeremy had seen her come in upset and he had spent some time talking to her cheering her up. Afterwards, they sat at the table, and he made her a bowl of ice cream while he read to her. It seemed weird looking back, their age difference seemed so big then, but now, even though she was younger than him, he could only see her as the woman she had become. It didn’t seem so big a gap now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back