[Emperors of the Fading Suns] [Emperors of the Fading Suns] Chapter 6, Scene 1: Fading Sun

xarvh

Malevolent Entertainer
"Dearmost Kalak, beloved student, enlightened and righteous,

at the very least, I owe you an apology and an explanation.

We spend our lives carefully weaving our threads, then things happen that tangle our fabric and such is the blow that we forget of our responsibilities towards those who trust on us.

So I must apologise to you, my dear Kalak, and to Lord Peleps Argis for my sudden and reckless departure.

While there is no justification for my behaviour, such was the shock of the revelations.

As it pertains to the explanation, I am not sure where to start from.

Please understand that the Five Score Fellowship is a fractioned group, broken in several factions and rife with power games.

A rather recent prophecy stated that "In the darkest hour, the treasure of Agatha will be conquered by the people of the Changing Sun".

While a consensus was not reached about how to deal with the situation, a sizeable portion of the Bronze faction considered that the Changing Sun and its people were to be eliminated before they could retrive anything.

I never thought that Asai Malek could have been this "Changing Sun", but others apparently saw further than me.

Others that, as it seems like, mobilitated the Immaculate Order.

I shall confess, dear Kalak, that I always thought you would have been that one.

Most importantly, it seems that Agatha's Library actually exists, and that I am unable to convince other Fellows of its existance, as it resides entirely outside Fate.

While it rests assured that I will do everything in my power to have the attacks cease and to investigate further the matter, I stand against a mighty tangle of power, personal agendas and general bickering, which is what is expected when you try to fix Fate by committee.

Your proud sifu,

Night-Sky Dancer

25th Resplendent Fire, Realm Year 776"

Last edited by a moderator:
The Exalts of Cross are in Argis' manse, alone.

45 Lookshyans have been saved and successfully brought to Cross.

20 of them have advanced magitech training and will be only too happy to help in the labs.

Use this thread to discuss your next moves.

I might or might not interrupt it.

From the private journal of Steel Falcon, recovered from the ruins of Rain City by his successor, Deathbird’s Cry --

I wasn’t lying, that day.

The day I told him that I didn’t know if I could do this crap alone. And not just for the reasons that he might have thought. Not just because together we’re a better investigative team and not just because his Solar Charms allow me to go further without falling off the edge of reality. Not even because in a world in which temples are overseen by men who made their money out of brothels, where the so-called Chosen of the Gods smile as they bless murder as an instrument of policy, where law and justice are things we preach about but never get around to practicing… Scarlet Silence is the one man I know who has no personal agenda besides doing the right thing.

Flickering Claw sits motionless, staring past them into nothing.

She seems to have passed beyond pain into utter numbness.

Siham was already in a foul mood after the events of Thorns. Not only had he been forced to pass up a chance to avenge River, but one of his own friends had been captured. And now he learned that these Sidereals where making plans to attack Cross and seize control of Agatha's Library?

No.

"Kalak. You will relay to your Sifu that if Agatha's Heir find out that this "Bronze" faction or their agents come within two hundred miles of either Cross or MY LIBRARY, I will crucify the entire organization without hesitation." This was no bluff, Siham was already drawing up plans for Soulsteel and Adamant rods to impale Void Heart on, it would be easy enough to make a few extra.

"Siham, they already have."

"However if it is the work of the Bronze faction then that can help us target our efforts to prevent them from snooping."

Argis watched Flicker carefully. "We must find Malek, and soon. I don't like the thought of him in their hands." For him and for her. His quick anger would either get him killed or leave him open to manipulation. He was tough though. Argis fought through the lenses of others until he found his own thoughts. Malek would do what was needed for the people, if he could. What is needed now? Their leader? Safety? No. Not really. These people had been pulled through all that. And they had been safe for a time.

"Flicker. How much time before the eggs hatch?"

Does that mean they have hatched, or is that Flicker's answer: "I dunno, they should have hatched by now"?

Argis' words bring the Full Moon out of her gray haze.

"They should have hatched. They're warm, the shells have hardened -- I don't know what's wrong." Her voice changes. "Yes, I do know what's wrong. It's this place! This gods-be-damned place! Why did we have to settle here, where a monster eats all the game and every power in the East attacks us nonstop--"

Rhapsody drops her pack on the floor and stands quietly In the doorway. "I'm going to Lookshy. I don't leave my friends behind. I'm going to go there and I'm going smash my way into that thrice-damned snail and I'm going to find Malek. Because I DON'T LEAVE FRIENDS BEHIND!" Her voice has a hint of hysteria and tears begin to roll down her cheeks. She picks up her pack and slings it over her shoulder.

Argis stands, "No. We are going. And we are not going alone."

"Siham, I need the bloom. A weapon if you can, but it needs to at least survive the journey."

"Flicker, you and Rhapsody select your troops. My men will serve as protection here. We take with us what small elite forces as will do us good. Make sure there is proper planning for travel. We will use the ships, but it still takes time."

"Kalak, help Siham, but help me with getting people moving to Mirunda. It has all been organized. Malek was going to start the process. I need you to do it now."

"I need to contact several of our allies."

"Take care of what else you need to, but remember. We have to assume the Bronze faction is watching us out there. We must do this discretely. I will not leave this place with the impression of weakness."

Rhapsody wipes her tears and swallows hard. She pulls as much control of her body, her emotions, as she can muster. "My men are already assembled outside. When, Argis? When do we leave?"

"As much as I admire your courage, dear friends, charging straight in is suicide of the highest order. You must either use great stealth, or pure overwhelming force. Either of those options seems unlikely to succeed at the moment. I can't say I don't sympathize, however. A friend is in dire need. We will find a way to help him, no matter the cost."

He sighs and rubs his forehead with both hands.

"Sifu, and his Sidereal friends/enemies, will be on the move at some point. I can only guess based on how off he was acting when he was here. That face of shock I saw before we entered this place the first time...Argis it was almost like his world fell out from under him." He sits for a moment with his eyes staring at nothing.

"I guess we have no choice now. If we want to rescue Malek, we have to use the Bloom somehow. Siham, I think we both work well under pressure. That lab still needs a lot of cleaning and repair. Let's get down to it. Argis, as for moving the people to Mirunda...I suppose I have to do something, don't I? Even if they don't believe it, my people are still my subjects. I will go and try to talk to them. Maybe they will listen, for once."

"We leave as soon as as we can then. Start moving your men to Mirunda the ships will meet us there. Take with you the first group of the people for Mirunda. And Rhapsody, remember that haste without purpose serves just so. Do this under the guise of safe conduct for the people. We will follow behind you tomorrow. Siham, I will arrange alternate transportation for you if you need time."

"Thank you Kalak. I will inform Sifu of our plans. I need information from him as well."

To the assembly, "We do not charge in blindly. Rhapsody and Siham have situational knowledge of the area. I will do what I can to give us every advantage. We move quickly when we can so we are prepared for opportunity when it is available. Not before, not after."

Rhapsody nods and fixes her gaze on Argis for a moment, long enough to say, "I understand and thank you." Then, she turns and stalks out of the room. To Mirunda. And Malek.

Sifu, Asai Malek is captured by the Mask of Winters. I move to rescue him. Any aid for stealth or battle you can offer I will appreciate. Will bring Agatha's help if possible. Agatha's heir advises all bronze faction stay away from cross on pain of mass crucifixion.

We are moving against Mask soon. Don't tell Mirror. Siham may need transportation from Cross. I could use advice for Tirana.. anything other than offering her Lookshy that can bring her into this?

You offered your blade for my enemies. I need Legion delt with in a permanent fashion. If you can't find her, the insane archer, Void Heart has made more than his fair share of trouble. He travels with an air aspect guardian. Last seen in Lookshy.

Melia, have the ships moved to Mirunda with provisions as swiftly as you can. They are to hold there until I meet them. Scout options for new ships. I may need you to acquire one or two. I will contact you later and let you know.

Both Agatha and Siham smiled wickedly at Argis's request "I wil build you your weapon, and it will be the last thing the Mask and his followers ever see." he stood up, ready to move towards his lab. "Until it is ready, may I advise you all to find a way to relax. Distractions when working on the artifact are very unwelcome, and the more you harass me about it, the slower it'll take to build."

Flicker clenches her hands. She almost says, If it were River, would you relax? but thinks better of it. She is still luckier than Siham -- at least her partner is still alive.

She hopes.

Instead, she says, "I'll get my soldiers ready. Tell me how many you need and with what gear, and if we require any with special skills."

"A talon I think. We will need to move quickly and quietly at times, but until we know where Malek is we won't be able to plan his rescue. For this the guerrilla fighters will serve well. Bring those that listen well and do not get caried away by the heat of battle. We want to be nimble out there."

Flicker nods, some of her calm and self-control returning. "I'll get to it at once, then."

She turns around as she reaches the door, and gives Argis a sort of a crooked smile. "But it's 'branch'." We have branches here, not talons."

- Flickering Claw!

Flickering Claw, Milady!

Soaked in water, Nehir reaches the Exalts, visibly embarrassed, and bows to the ground several times.

- I humbly beg for your mercy, oh Chosen of the Gods...

Flicker, milady, the eggs have hatched.

Yes, he knows of Argis' place.

Assuming Flicker asked to be notified of this thing ASAP, otherwise he wouldn't dare interrupt a secret meeting.

Kalak scratches his head in confusion.

"Um...did I miss something? Eggs? Is she...expecting?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back