• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Edo Japan Samurai RP

noremac

This an interest check.

It takes place in Japan during the in the middle of the Edo period (around 1735), a time of relative peace under the Shogun (military ruler appointed by Emperor, who had little real power). The country has been divided into several hundred feudal domains, each ruled by a daimyo. The Shogun has little influence or interest of the inner working of the domains. Rather he gives the independent rule of the land in exchange for free labor, funds, materials, ect. for projects. The daimyos also had to alternate between living on their domains and in Edo(Tokyo). To prevent rebellion a domain could only have one castle. Samurai were restricted to living in walled cities so they would not start rebellion or raise armies in the country. By exchanging land and food the feudal lords hired Samurai to protect their lands. Samurai who have no masters are rōnin.

Due to the time of peace the samurai are disappearing, becoming bureaucrats or administrators. One domain is being led by a corrupt lord. The daimyo heavily taxes the peasants and pays his Samurai well to prevent uprisings. The Samurai are struggling with their code of Bushido, not sure whether they should obey the law of their master or rebel for the greater good. Some samurai have been corrupted and others are afraid to voice their opinions in fear of assassination.

One small group of Samurai has banded together, intent on change.

This will be a short rp. Less then ten pages for sure. I don't have an exact plot in mind. The plot will be much like that of The Hidden Blade, 13 Assassins, Harakiri, The Last Samurai, Samurai Rebellion, or Samurai Assassin. Basically, the daimyo is a douchebag and some rebel Samurai try to cut him up.

I am looking for people who are old samurai movie fans. If you have seen all the Toshiro Mifune/Akira Kurosawa movies or recognize either of those names, Perfect! If you like samurai but haven't seen the old stuff that's ok too, but I encourage you to watch one. I am happy to give recommendations. (13 Assassins is probably the best movie to start with if you haven't seen any Samurai movies beside The Last Samurai) :)

I'm interested. I'm a big Edo period japan fan but sadly I haven't watched any of the films since I'm more of a reader than a watcher.

@Bills352 That is fine.

If anyone wants to watch something to get a picture of what I am imagining it is pretty easy to watch 13 Assassins online (just google the previous 4 words ;) . Also, Hulu has the Zatoichi: The Blind Samurai shows for free, they are a little shorter and perhaps a little more exciting.

7 Samurai is also a good one. I will get to work on the RP page :)

I shall await the RP

*floats over to an isolated area on the floor and crosses his legs, meditating*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back