Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition Help!

Trevor B Harper

๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ฎ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐“‡๐‘œ๐’น๐’พ๐“ƒ๐‘”๐‘’๐“‡'๐“ˆ ๐’Ÿ๐“Š๐“‚๐“…๐“๐’พ๐“ƒ๐‘”
Me and my friends, we want to start playing DnD 4th Edition, however, we cannot buy it because we live in LT, and here they don't sell DnD, and buying it through Ebay takes loads and loads of time and even more money. So, I need someone experienced in DnD to help me. Guide through all of the components I would need to set up my own DnD game. (Hand crafted xD )

You can pretty much find all of the books online for free. There are also a lot of tools online and for download that can help with character creation, and tracking. The DM is the one who has the most responsibility, and seeing as no one has experience in it, it may be a rough go handle the responsibilities of a DM and learning the game.

Just my 2 cents, because that's what happened to me and my group. I was DM. :3

What else would one need besides the Player's Handbook, Monster Manual and the DMG?

To do a basic game of DnD? Dice, dungeon/land whatever you call it maps help a lot to keep track of what's going on in things like encounters, considering characters have certain speeds, weapons have certain range, etc. Distinguishable pieces, a print out of a character sheet is very useful.

I think off the top of my head that's all you need for a casual group of DnD.

How would one go about getting the map? Is it like a picture of sorts, or just a basic grid with pieces, or what?

This thread has been moved to Roleplay Discussion. Games discussing Tabletop and Systems should be posted there in the Future. Hopefully it might get your more exposure.

Edit -

I personally have played 4.0 for one or two games. The resources we used were all bought on Amazon or at a large-chain book store. Yet if I had to make a recommendation for you, I suggest playing 3.5.

I prefer 3.5 more because it is less combat focus and encourages roleplay a bit more. However the real benefit is that the "core" mechanisms behind any 3.5 game (the d20 system) was released for free as a Standard Resource Document (SRD). So you can find it easily online. The only things you are lacking then is stuff from the monster manuals which you can get many for free online. As well if you are in for purchasing stuff, 3.5 stuff is a lot cheaper as 4.0 stuff is still sold at its full price in stores and by Wizards of the Coast.

Link to SRD --> http://www.d20srd.org/

D&D Wiki (Has SRD and Homebrew content for all D&D versions) - http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

Last edited by a moderator:
Miz said:
This thread has been moved to Roleplay Discussion. Games discussing Tabletop and Systems should be posted there in the Future. Hopefully it might get your more exposure.
Edit -

I personally have played 4.0 for one or two games. The resources we used were all bought on Amazon or at a large-chain book store. Yet if I had to make a recommendation for you, I suggest playing 3.5.

I prefer 3.5 more because it is less combat focus and encourages roleplay a bit more. However the real benefit is that the "core" mechanisms behind any 3.5 game (the d20 system) was released for free as a Standard Resource Document (SRD). So you can find it easily online. The only things you are lacking then is stuff from the monster manuals which you can get many for free online. As well if you are in for purchasing stuff, 3.5 stuff is a lot cheaper as 4.0 stuff is still sold at its full price in stores and by Wizards of the Coast.

Link to SRD --> http://www.d20srd.org/

D&D Wiki (Has SRD and Homebrew content for all D&D versions) - http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page
Or Pathfinder--3.5 is fine --but I prefer Pathfinder because it fixed some of the issues with 3.5 like "dead levels" and a few other things. Not to bad mouth 3.5 either that or Pathfinder fits what Miz said and Pathfinder also has an SRD free online.

hellrazoromega said:
Or Pathfinder--3.5 is fine --but I prefer Pathfinder because it fixed some of the issues with 3.5 like "dead levels" and a few other things. Not to bad mouth 3.5 either that or Pathfinder fits what Miz said and Pathfinder also has an SRD free online.
That is true. I do enjoy Pathfinder, I just forgot about it. Was too focused on the word "D&D" I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back