Advice/Help Dungeon Master Tips & Tricks

AnnJam

👁👄👁 *heavy breathing* 👁👄👁
I'm working on a new homebrew 5E campaign and this time around I'm trying to do things differently. I'm attempting to break old habits that never served me well. So what better way than to get some outside tips and hear how other DMs prepare.

So if you're a DM and you have tips to share then drop them here. I would love to hear how others manage, organize, create, and prepare for a new campaign. Its always a breath of fresh air when I find out a new easier way to keep myself sane but prepared!

So to start I'll drop my first tip. I like to give my players a pre session survey to get my first idea of what my players expect of the game. Then I know in what areas I need to be more prepared in compared to others.

Here is a copy of my pre session survey!

Now for as many digital copies I can find of books I've purchased and loved!

RESOURCES
Players Handbook
Dungeon Master Guide
Monster Manual
Tome of Beasts (not digital)
Creature Codex
Gods & Goddesses Supplement (not digital)
Mordenkainens Tome of Foes
Touch of Class (my copy from my drive enjoy!)

Last edited:
Use Random generators.

Here are two of my favorites:

This link above has plenty of generators for 5e, generic settings, and other rulesets. I particularly like the treasure generator for 5e that lets me generate pocket change for monsters on the fly and treasure hoards for when big encounters or lairs are looted. It does however have all sorts of tools for generating names, plotlines, and more.

Fantasynamegenerators.com

This link generates names for all sorts of types of creatures for all sorts of genres, as well as names for places and organizations as well. Why struggle to name a random dwarf when you can generate 10 dwarf names and pick your favorite? How better to quickly develop the underworld for your city than to generate 10-20 gang names, take your favorites and decide who are friends and rivals?

I use random generators to automate nearly everything I can so I can channel my creativity where it is needed most, and speed up my dressing of the world for my players.

I have more tips, but I'll see if anybody else weighs in!

and AnnJam AnnJam , if I can be of any help in your developing your new campaign lets share ideas!

Become an experienced bullshitter. No, I'm not kidding.

If you can't look at your notes and make something in an instant, you need to learn how. No matter how much you prepare and put loose plotlines and hooks together, your players will undoubtedly find a way to throw you off your game. Especially in homebrew. I have stories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back