• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Dual Worlds - Mechanics

Detective Rascal

Magic is just Science unexplained
Dice System

We are using Fate Core as our main mechanic for the dice use in this roleplay, but to make things easier for myself and every player, we will be using a modified version of Fate Core. I have done the modifying, and this dice system has turned out to be a mix of (what I'm guessing is) normal forum dice play and Fate Core.

It may be confusing, but don't worry, I hope to explain it, and it is totally okay to constantly ask me questions, as I will answer them while also being quite involved in the dice side as well.

Basics

This is actually really, really basic stuff, but I believe I have some new people interested, so I'm going to put this in anyway.

d#- I will use this kind of wording in reference to dice type. If I say d20, it means a die with 20 faces. d6 is a die with 6 faces. On rpn it gives us the chance to change how many sides we can use in the dice section, which you must use, so I know you didn't cheat on your rolls.

Stats- You know that list of things in the STATS tab in your character profile? That's your stats. I'll probably reference a specific stat, like intelligence or charisma. They will come in play and are important.

Modifiers- Stunts, items, and temporary power ups can add modifiers to a roll. This gives you extra points in whatever roll collerates with it, and can give you a boost when you really need it.

Rolls

This is a dice roleplay, and of course, we will be rolling dice in order to determine outcomes within the roleplay. Though specifically, will roll in order to see the outcome of these certain situations.

Obstacles- Within the roleplay, your character will obviously come in contact with obstacles. This can be things like locked doors, crowed areas, closed shops, stubborn shopkeepers, and even possibly an actual obstacle course.

Most times you will need to do something to overcome whatever obstacle is in your way, and this action can either succeed or fail. I will let you know what stat and modifier to use when rolling, and tell you what number you need to either reach or go over in order to succeed in your roll.

Different situations will require different stats and different modifiers from your skills, and this is where stats come in.

For example; a character David has just encountered a stall owner who is quite stubborn, and refuses to hand over a gem David needs. David's owner has been told by the DM that he needs to roll a d6, and then add his stat points in charisma, to see if he can persuade the stall owner to give up the stone. He rolls a 4, and then adds his stat of 7, which ends up being 11. The stall owner was a 10, and so David was able to succeed in getting the gem without having to pay for it.

In that example, David had no extra modifiers. He has no items that gives him any, nor does he have any stunts or skills that give him modifiers with his charisma stat.

You are able to succeed, like what David has done above, tie, or fail. If your roll ties with the number that you are facing, you can succeed at whatever action you are trying to perform, but it will come as a cost. This cost will be loosing progress on your level bar, which I will give you per your posts.

Failure will cost you nothing in terms of progress, but you will of course fail whatever action you needed to do to overcome your obstacle.

Combat- This may or may not happen, as this depends on mainly your character and how they progress through their story, but you may end up in a fight. This can be a magical or just a good old physical fight, but you may end up in one either way. In combat, there are two sides. Attack, and Defend.

With an Attack, you can succeed, fail, and tie. Like explained above, you will have to roll, add a stat if it applies to your action, and add any modifiers if they apply. If you fail, you deal no damage to the person/thing you are fighting against, but give a chance to add a boost to the person/thing. If you tie, you loose progress on your level bar but succeed in your Attack.

With a Defend, you can succeed, fail, or tie. The same with Attack, only if you succeed you defend whatever the opposition had in store you. If you fail, you are given damage from the opposition, and fail in your defending move. If you tie, you succeed, but some progress on your level is removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back