DreamWorlds

How do you think we should proceed when we get to the Metropolis?

• Remain the same as right now - sticking together

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Split up in groups of two or three

• Other: [Suggestions welcome!]

• Total voters
thistle said:
The imagery she creates for that book is fantastic! :) You should also try "The Book Thief" if you prefer books with stylistic writing.
Because I'm curious by nature, what are you scribbling down in Chinese? (And how does that work on your keyboard? @.@)
I watched the movie of 'The Book Thief' but I haven't had a chance to read the book just yet. I'll put it on my list! :)

Spazzycat101 said:
Oh, whale, the 对不起 meant 'sorry,' and the keyboard only works because I installed a windows-based keyboard for Chinese. It's done in pinyin, which is basically spelling out the pronunciation in English letters. Then, the characters that have that pinyin spelling show up and you can select them. See, to type 对不起, I have to put down the pinyin. In this case, the pinyin is 'dui bu qi,' so I type that in and the characters pop up in a selection thing.
*smirk* Are we talking about Chinese here? I live in Hong Kong so it's basically my second language xD How long have you been learning it? And why? 你喜歡中文嗎?

Sorry about the onslaught of questions! I'm just being curious (not unlike @thistle) 0_0 It's just nice to see a fellow Chinese speaker! [Or do you just learn how to write it?]

Last edited by a moderator:
非常喜欢,可是只学 simplified 汉子。。。There's no class offered for learning traditional ;-;

DergTheDergon said:
I do not, unfortunately. At least not at the level you guys seem to.
Well, I'm not even really fluent in Chinese, I've only been studying for a couple of years. Unless a conversation is very strict and just so happens to adhere to the few words and phrases my class has learned, I can't really hold a conversation.

DergTheDergon said:
I do not, unfortunately. At least not at the level you guys seem to.
Aside from one or two other lines, that's the extent of my abilities, actually. x) Spazzycat probably has a better hold on Chinese than I do with Tagalog, because those were lines I had to memorize from a high school skit.

thistle said:
Aside from one or two other lines, that's the extent of my abilities, actually. x) Spazzycat probably has a better hold on Chinese than I do with Tagalog, because those were lines I had to memorize from a high school skit.
Okay.

I just imagined a cartoony-looking cat trying to hold onto a few words in Chinese that were suddenly animated and bucking around like a horse. ._.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spazzycat101 said:
Okay.
I just imagined a cartoony-looking cat trying to hold onto a few words in Chinese that were suddenly animated and bucking around like a horse. ._.
xD

You've suceeded in sticking the same image in my head.

Mitchs98 said:
I'm supposed to be fluent in spanish and japanese. I am not. Lol.
When did you study Japanese? :o

Aghhhhhh I couldn't see your posts again! >< Did anyone post in the main thread? No?

Spazzycat101 said:
非常喜欢,可是只学 simplified 汉子。。。There's no class offered for learning traditional ;-;
Ah, that's understandable :) Usually only locals know traditional because it's more complicated than simplified Chinese, but there have been recent disagreements about using simplified for tests and such. It's easier and also has less strokes than the traditional symbols, but sometimes it kind of leaves out the meaning that the words used to hold. Like love, for example.

The simplified verison:

The traditional version:

Some say that simplified Chinese leaves out the heart - - for the word love, making the symbol lose its original meaning.

JayfeatherRaven said:
Aghhhhhh I couldn't see your posts again! >< Did anyone post in the main thread? No?
Ah, that's understandable :) Usually only locals know traditional because it's more complicated than simplified Chinese, but there have been recent disagreements about using simplified for tests and such. It's easier and also has less strokes than the traditional symbols, but sometimes it kind of leaves out the meaning that the words used to hold. Like love, for example.

The simplified verison:

The traditional version:

Some say that simplified Chinese leaves out the heart - - for the word love, making the symbol lose its original meaning.
Interesting.

The textbook we used had both the simplified and traditional versions, though, and I saw some of them and thought 'why on earth would you simplify that? It's already simple!'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back