• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Dragon Thieves

Zazz

The Pickliest Bean
Roleplay Type(s)
Dragons once rode the clouds of this vast country, filling the skies with colour and fierceness, beauty and magic. The land was theirs, and theirs alone. It was theirs, until the elves came. They came upon their great ship, and settled in the northeastern forest. They were at peace with nature, and they began to grow close to the dragons.

The humans came after on their sturdy ships, seeking new land. They settled in the vast fields and rolling hills, and they built their villages. Villages grew into towns, towns into cities, cities into lordships. A fortress was made for their king. The humans, too, grew fond of the sentient beasts of the sky and their magic.

Inevitably, a power struggle between the two races erupted. Alliances turned sour, even as other races poured in; the dwarves took to the mountains in the southwest, the orcs, wherever they could establish themselves. The elves believed only they were worthy of their dragon friends, and the humans craved their magic. The orcs, even, began to hunt for dragon eggs to hatch and enslave for the sake of power over the other races who treated them with disdain and hatred.

Now, as the dragons are either dying out or retreating to their origins, each race wants their hands on the eggs. Leaders of all varieties have hired people of various races to find and capture the remaining eggs and bring them into their keeps. This is the story of those thieves.

RULES OF PLAY:

1) No one liners.

2) A character cannot be perfect. Perfect characters make bad plotlines. It's like Twilight's sparkly vampires, times a billion.

3) Keep your magic in check. If unsure about what your character should and should not be able to do, especially without, you know, killing themselves, either message me or ask me in OOC. Might wanna tag me for the latter. If you continuously misuse your magic, I will consider it godmoding. See below.

4) Absolutely no godmoding. In the case of godmoding, I will override this rule in order to brutally murder your beloved character.

5) If you're going to be away for more than, say, a couple days, let me know so we can arrange for your character to be carried along. If you randomly disappear for, say, a week, I will override Rule 4 to have your character kidnapped by a mob or something so that if you return, they can somehow escape all bloodied up or something. If you don't return, we might find your severed head hung in an orc camp.

6) Keep up with the times. If I'm on Day 3, evening, you should be on Day 3, evening.

7) Don't whip out an iPod. They don't exist. Neither do foreign languages, like German or Japanese.

8) Keep with the lore. Basics are in the Overview.

I reserve the right to add to this at any time.

Azaria:

The half-elf sits comfortably up in a tree at the edge of the forest, slowly carving a slice out of a red apple. Her gaze follows the vast plains, the rolling hills that tumble towards the distant human capital with its high spires and fortified towers. Smoke from villages hidden in the hills rises up towards the dark sky, the waking sun just beginning to shed its light on the universe. Azaria's ears are tuned to her surroundings, listening with heightened precision as the forest creatures awaken for the day. A bird chirps softly in the distance, waking its nest.

Stroling through the woods, away from the capital and into the countryside, his scarf billowing in the gentle breeze, Coro fumbled with a pristine red ruby in his hands as he walked. Seeing his grinning reflection in it's many edged surfaces, he chuckled. The king simply ordered him to find info about the dragon eggs, and bring them back if possible. There had been no word about ceasing his 'activities'. A guy had to eat, after all.

Seeing the smoke of nearby villages in the rolling hills, he pocketed the ruby and decided he'd start close to home after all. The king had ordered him back in three weeks time, else he be deemed a criminal once more. He had plenty of time, but why not see what the locals had to say before he paraded around the country seeking magical eggs of terrifying creatures? This ruby would grant him a few nights food and lodge at a tavern, for sure. These countryside peasants might have never even seen such a gem. Of course, for the nobles in the capital, a gem of this calibre was nothing, easy pickings. Rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly, he had thought that knight's coin purse was easy pickings too. Look where that got him.... Then again, guaranteed employment and practical immunity as the king's Dragon Thief didn't seem so bad once he thought about it.

Nearing the edge of the forest, breaking into the dim sunlight of the morning, Coro sighed as the breeze rustled his shaggy hair.

This was gonna be interesting, at the very least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Azaria's conscience catches the energy of a creature much larger than a forest animal, and she listens attentively for its source. Soon, the half-elf's pointed ears pick up the sound of stray leaves and twigs being broken under covered feet. He walks quietly, but not quiet enough. She rolls her eyes, remembering the countless times her elven mentors scolded her for walking too loudly. Clearly human.

Silently, she sets her apple down on her branch and turns into a crouch, hidden in the shadows of morning. She wants to see the human before they see her. Her sharp green eyes are trained in Coro's direction, anticipating his arrival, arrow notched.

His keen eyes catching the red of the apple in the tree branch, Coro blinked. That's odd. An apple, just sitting on a branch in the morning. Heading up to the tree, he grabbed a limb and pulled himself up, inspecting the oddly placed fruit.

Pulling himself up to the branch, he straddled the wooden limb, glancing about. Seeing nobody, he broke out into a grin. Someone must be close, or just forgetful. Picking the apple up, he noticed it was fresh, and the juice on his hand indicated it had been just newly cut. The slice missing was a clear indication that someone was still near. And stealthy too, if he didn't catch them.

Holding the apple and leaping down from the branch, Coro landed neatly, his scarf flapping as he descended.

"
Uh, you can come out now? I'm no threat, trust me. Seeing as I don't even know where you are, you've obviously got the upper hand and all." He chimed out in a bit of a sing-song voice. He was interested in seeing who eluded his senses, hidden somewhere nearby. This was a forest after all, a natural place. Perhaps a skilled ranger, or a hermit? God forbid an elf was this close to the human capital, what with the war going on and all...

There is silence, followed by the sound of an arrow being retracted somewhere above Coro. Azaria watches him carefully, sizing him up. If it came to it, she could fend him off. Maybe tie him up with his own horrendously long scarf. A smirk passes over her lips at the thought, but it leaves just as quickly as it came.

The half-elf lets herself down, landing lightly on her feet before the man. Her dark hair hides her ears, her birthmark just barely visible in the dim lighting. "Then you'll hand me back that apple, I suppose."

Coro raised an eyebrow. He hadn't been expecting a girl. That was quite a birthmark too. The bow seemed intimidating. Definitely a ranger of some kind, someone who spent plenty of time in nature, enough to know that a bow and arrow was easily the superior weapon in the wilds.

Smiling smugly, Coro nodded, taking a step towards her, the intent to hand back the apple clear as day, his steps were interrupted by a very loud, obnoxious grumbling noise, emanating from his midsection.

"
.... Actually, can I have this?" He asked, his smug smile turning into a pleading visage of innocence. He'd actually kinda forgotten about food and sustenance in his terrifying meeting with the king, and subsequent tasking as a Dragon Thief. This was the first piece of food other than stale bread and water he'd had in his hands since about midday, two days ago. The sweet scent of the fruit filled his nostrils as he made a pitiful whining noise, licking his lips and swallowing the lump in his throat.

Azaria raises her chin defiantly as she watches him scrutinize her. Her sharp eyes take in the man's attire, noting the weapon he carries. She looks him over, searching for his strengths, and his weaknesses, even as he steps forward with her apple. That is, until his weakness presents itself quite loudly. She raises an eyebrow, her smirk returning, and she snatches the apple from his hand. With an air of arrogance, she turns from him to return to her tree, her hair revealing one pointed ear as it falls to one side as she climbs. "No." Once back up in her branch, however, she plucks another one and tosses it down at him. "You can have that one, though." She proceeds to continue where she left off in cutting slices out of her apple.

Catching the apple with a winning smile and taking a large bite, juices dribbling down his chin, Coro shed a tear of joy. This was delicious, sweet and hearty, the apple's crunch was amazing, coupled with the slightly bitter skin, it resulted in a sensation of utter awe.

Having noted the ear as the girl ascended her tree-perch once more, Coro took another bite of the apple, eyeing her up from his vantage point on the ground. She had to be an elf. But, exactly what was she doing near the capital? This could be considered vital information for the king. As a Dragon Thief, Coro had to assume his duties fell in the range of furthering the war-effort, the primary goal being the dragon eggs. But information on a potential enemy right under the king's nose? This was indeed too good of an opportunity to pass up.

"
So, what brings you to these parts?" The young man asked, trying to play it a little more cool than he just had been, his rumbling tummy giving away any semblance to a professional he might have been able to muster. A petty thief in over his head? Nah, he was a direct subordinate of the king, a mighty Dragon Thief! "I mean... Not many elves get too close to the human capital. I've been told we smell." He offered with a grin, hoping a joke might lower her guard a little bit. Not that he seemed anything like a threat so far....

She rolled her eyes at the memory of yet another point in her childhood she was taunted for supposedly smelling like humans. "So I've been told, as well," she mutters irritably. Her mother had assured her she smelled perfectly fine, but she could never tell the difference. Though, the human settlements usually did have a rather distinct smell to them.

Azaria sighs quietly, cutting another slice before speaking. "And what about you? You humans know the forest is elven territory." It is true, just... not this part of it. The half-elf has wandered a little far from the distinctly elven woods. These woodlands are free lands. Azaria watches the man intently, noting how his stance shifts with his confidence.

Fickle hood up walked through the bustling market place dodging bustling civilians as they did their daily shopping. Calls from nearby merchants trying to lull people into buying their projects rang out nearby but unlike usual he didnt stop to inspect and steal some. He had to leave. Get away from these large crowds where assassins could be hiding. Up above he saw a speck of black turn the corner and followed. He was led through town and eventually into the country side. There he could breath again and his little friend finally showed herself. "Thanks Ai." He muttered petting her softly. Whining Ai attempted to get closer but managed to knock him over. Laughing Fickle fell down and allowed Ai to do as she wanted.

Ellie sat at a table inside the pub. She had her feet on the table, and she was leaning back on the chair. It was loud here, and chaos was always here, except when she first arrives. They stop to look at her, and part out of her way, and whoever doesn't move out of her way... Lets say they found a new home. She watched as two men brawled in the tavern, grabbing each others arms, trying to in each other down. Ellie snickered, and took a sip of her drink.

It was a lovely day indeed. The sun was now risen high in the sky, shining its warm light down through the trees to illuminate the forest floors for the young mage and his companion. The two were making their way through the freeland woods nearby the Elven territory, heading westward. The teenager's silver hair ruffled lightly from the passing breeze, causing a peaceful sigh leave the male's lips. He loved these forests..

But his peaceful stroll had stopped when his small dragon companion let out a light-pitched noise. Sebastion blinked a few times before holding his arm out for the reptile to land and rest on the mage's forearm. "..What is it, Silma?" The dragon flapped it wings once. "Others nearby..go get a look, my friend." With that, the small dragon took off to where it smelled the other strangers nearby.

A few moments was all the small reptile needed to find the two others who were traveling through the forest. Silma had landed on a nearby branch as the dragon gazed upon a human with a boy and an Elvish female resting in a tree. It watched, curious as to what the two were doing, the reptile blinking in interest.

(@Th3W1ttyLl4m4 : Ohhai. Just make sure you incorporate your character's name somewhere in your post. Also, the sun is in the midst of rising, as I've mentioned in earlier posts. Try not to get too far ahead. Thanks.)

Something besides the young human man caught and tugged at Azaria's conscience. Something small, but powerful. Something curious. Azaria's ears strained to listen for a sound, her brow slightly furrowed. The sun, having just risen to peek over the hill-rolled horizon, sheds a dim light into the edges of the forest, allowing the half-elf better sight. She glances around casually so as not to alarm the long-scarved human. Her half-human eyes catch sight of a white creature in a tree, but not its details.

She watches the creature, half listening to the human talk. She feels around with her mind, trying to decipher the nature of the creature. It feels almost... pure, but not to the extent of a spirit. Curious. Definitely curious. Azaria's senses, not yet developed enough to give her a distinct shape, leaves her blind.

"Keep talking," she orders hushedly. She uses the cover his words will hopefully provide, and slowly notches an arrow. She watches the creature out of the corner of her eye, not staring at it directly. She sits on her branch casually, though tense as ever, bow in hand.

Out of the blue, she turns and lets loose her arrow, sending it straight at the trunk of the tree the creature is in, aiming to miss. In the distance, the arrow lands true, Azaria's sharp green eyes watching like a hawk to see what the white creature does.

(Sorry, I had misread the prior post .-. And his name was mentioned in paragraph 2 '

:o )

Silma watched with her's golden eyes, observing the two speaking before the Elvish girl had fired an arrow directly for the small dragon. It let out a startled cry, it's white wings spreading out as it leaped off of the tree and flew in the direction from once she came to return to Sebastian. The boy was resting on a large rock, sitting cross-legged while looking through the pages of his lexicon. But his gaze went up from his reading when he saw Silma fly back towards the young mage and land on his shoulder, releasing soft noises into the male's ear as her form of communication.

"What did you see, Silma?" The small dragon continued speaking in her reptilian language, but all Sebastian needed was to look in those golden eyes of the dragon to see what she had seen. "Two others...and the one was perceptive, if she noticed you so easily. Spot on aim as well, it seems." Standing from his seat on the rock, Sebastian closed shut his lexicon and slid the book in the mage's thigh holster before making his way in the direction Silma had come from, who was resting on her companion's shoulder. "Let's see if there's anything more interesting about these two, Silma.."

Kimya haggled with the merchant over the price of food. She needed a supply if she was ever going to make it out there, especially since she was going out alone. "Bring down the price or I'm doing my business elsewhere." She snapped. "I don't have all day." The merchant smirked at her. "You know this is the only shop that sells food in bulk at these prices. There is no other place to do business at. You and I both know that." Kimya knew he was right, but she also knew she was being cheated out of her money. She was only being sold a few pounds of food, and there wasn't even any meat. He had her cornered financially, no one else was going to sell her anything with the money she had. Begrudgingly, Kimya passed her money towards the self-satisfied merchant. "Fine. Happy now?" "Pleasure doing business with you madam'." The shop keeper put her money in a leather pouch and watched her leave, his smirk burning into Kimya's back.

Finally, the young woman could leave her and start her mission. She had already wasted a week in this town, with the sleazy merchants and the big shot healer hounding her for money. She never noticed how suffocating this town was, she had always had someone to walk with and help her breathe. Kimya had never thought she would face such a demanding journey alone. The anxiety was eating her alive, maybe she should get a drink? The woman shook her head, scolding herself for the thought. The healer wasn't going to get paid if Kimya was sitting in the tavern, drinking herself to death and wasting the precious money she had.

Kimya looked up and realized she had walked straight into an empty field with a rather shady character lying on the ground. She gripped her bag tightly, and studied this boy. He was barefoot, firstly, and secondly, he had pointed ears, one pierced in all sorts of places. Kimya's eyes narrowed. It was just an elf. The only other thing of note was the fox that accompanied him and his weapons. The young woman pretended to ignore him, but stole glances at him, waiting for him to challenge her presence.

@kira blackthorn

Ali stopped licking him looking behind her shoulder curiously at the new being. Fickle feeling Ali stop and tense opened his eyes warily and found himself staring at a sad looking red eyed human girl. Standing he brushed himself off never moving his eyes off her. "Is there anything you need or are you just admiring the view?"

(Fickle isn't in an ally he's in the countryside)

(Okay, I'll edit.)

Kimya's eyes narrowed. "You should keep your guard up. An elf like you can get hurt, lying here all alone, surrounded by humans." The woman's eyes studied the boy. On closer inspection, he didn't seem so young. He looked younger than she was, but too old to be a child. Who knew with these damn elf type anyway? "I haven't encounter many elves in my day. Why are you so far from home?" Not that she cared, of course. The young woman was just curious.

"What can't I just be here for the view?" Fickle asked crossing his arms over his chest as he eyed the woman. She was young that's for sure but looked like she's been through more than most. It made Fickle curious. Just what has this woman been through to make her look that way?

"Not much to look at, excluding the farms. By the way, I know for a fact a lot of them have pitchforks. Relations between our races haven't been the sturdiest. If some of those people heard an elf was in town, they'd one of their farm tools driven through your gut faster then you can draw an arrow." Kimya never understood what the big deal was over elves. It wasn't like they did any harm. They were all bark and no bite. It was the orcs they had to watch out for. Still, the guy deserved a fair warning. After all, some of the jerks here were brutal.

Fickle quirked an eyebrow at the girls warning. He knew full well the going downs of the relationship between his species and hers. It was one of the things that led him to becoming a thief. Nodding he spoke absently petting Ali on the head." Well they will have to wait. I was just about to leave. Speaking of what brings one like you out to the countryside?"

Aragaki was in the pub having a drink. He had just finished his haunt in the woods. He was sweating all over and starving. He was an acquaintance of the pub owner. Aragaki will bring whatever he haunted in the morning in the woods to him. I n return the pub owner will make meals out of his kills. The pub is noisy as always. People were always shouting to each other. Sometimes even fights happen in the pub so it was no big deal to see two man brawled in the tavern. However, there was something unusual today. Aragaki notice the woman dressed all in black with her foot on the table. She look mysterious and there was something creepy about the creature beside her. He didn't think that he had seen her before in the pub. Is she new to the pub or is she just too quite that Aragaki has never noticed her before? Out of his nature of love making friends, he walked to the woman and talked to her.

"You are new, isn't it? Want a bite of the deer I haunted this morning ?"

Brand walked into the pub with his arms quivered. There was a fight last night in the forest. He was set upon by a tiger-liked monster. Unfortunately, the power of it was beyond his ability to defence. "The force of elves is hard to catch up with orcs, but that's fine." He sighed slightly but soon smiled. It's true that the strength of orcs may be dominant, but he could infuse his magic on the cover of his sword. As long as his sword poked into his rival's body, his energy in the body would turned out to be chaotic immediately, resulting in the the rival losing the control of part of his body for a few seconds. This was the only way that Brand could use the basic magic to attack. In the pub, he ordered the specials recommended by the owner and tried to asked if there's any task he could take. But, it was just yet. He took a seat alone, close his eyes and started listening and concentrating on others' conversation to see if any information could help him learn more about this new environment.

"I'm leaving this town, for now at least. I...have something I need to do." Kimya considered telling him the full story. She hadn't had anyone to talk to in so long, she felt like pouring out everything that happened in these past few years. The woman stopped herself. This man was a stranger. He had no business hearing her story. "What about you?"Kimya asked, changing the subject.

"The same." Fickle nodded. He thought of asking if she would like to travel together but he was wary. He knew nothing about the girl after all. In the end his curiousity won over. "Would you like to travel together? I mean assuming we are going the same way."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back