• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Dragon Heist (Completed)

You climb up with ease and no one notices you ascend. Good thing too, because the moment Meloon walks into the alley, three figures separate from the crowd and follow him. Words are exchanged down there, first lower, almost a whisper, then louder, then shouting.

A second later, Meloon has his axe lodged in the chest of the figure in the middle. From what you know about Force Grey so far, they mostly did things slowly and stealthily, but Meloon's approach is quite different.

As the middle figure falls down, the one on the right pulls out a knife, sticking it into Meloon's forearm. He snarls and shifts the axe to his right hand, closing the distance between them fast. But then you see the third figure's hands sparkling - they are preparing some sort of a offensive spell.

- Shout to distract the figure.
- Jump down to help Meloon.
- Hit the figure with your crossbow (roll d20, dexterity check, modifier 5).
- Stay and watch.

Hit the figure with your crossbow (rolled 12).
Instinctively Iselas fingers twitched towards her crossbow, slinging it from where it rested against her back and into careful hands. Varja had specifically asked the half-elf not to intervene with Meloon's aforementioned task. Whether or not this ambush was a part of that task was unknown to her. All she knew was that she could either take the chance and let Meloon handle himself -- a route that could result in him getting seriously injured or dying on her watch -- or she could take the shot.

Therefore, she slid an arrow into place and aimed the crossbow down at the sparkling-handed figure. Iselas had the element of surprise and she was reckless enough to make use of it. One eye closed, she aimed for the figure's chest and let the arrow fly.

Your arrow hits the mage through the shoulder, interrupting his spell and making him yell out in pain. Meloon disposes of the third attacker without any interference then, sticking his axe deep into the assailant's chest. The one you hit backs away in dismay. Meloon closes the distance and grasps him by the neck.

What had happened down there to you looked like an ambush. Whether it had anything to do with Meloon's task or not, you don't know, however so far it looks like someone had set Meloon up, or in his odd state of mind he might have not been very careful.

As Meloon strangles the last remaining opponent, you notice something shimmering into view on his shoulder. It's gone in the next flicker, but something the size of a small bird was perched there the moment before.

- Try looking again (roll d20 for perception check, modifier 4).
- Jump down and talk to Meloon.
- Jump down and stop Meloon from killing the last attacker.
- Sneak off.

Try looking again (rolled 12).
A sigh of relief slipped past Iselas' lips when her arrow found its mark in the mage's shoulder, disrupting the spell that could've possibly hurt her charge. Crossbow lowered she drew back again, allowing Meloon to handle the rest as she watched from a safe distance. Hopefully this didn't count as interfering with his supposed task.

Electric blue eyes narrowed at the sight of an iridescent flutter over the burly man's shoulder. Iselas, crouched on the rooftop above, squinted down at the alley in the hopes of catching another glimpse. She wasn't too perturbed by Meloon's blood thirsty behaviour, though she certainly didn't condone killing for pleasure.

You take another look at whatever is perched on Meloon's back and see something you've not seen before, but know from Regongar's description.

be1b9e8741ac.png

It's an intellect devourer. A small, brain-like creature with four legs, that is capable of concealing itself. For all it's devouring, it is not intelligent enough to do it on its own, but usually does someone else's bidding, making it more of a tool than a living being. Regongar had first hand experience with them, as they were arranged throughout the slaves' keeping quarters, to stop them from thinking for themselves. It had a different effect on different people.

This thing could be the source of Meloon's troubles and it is right there in front of you.

- Shoot it with an arrow (roll d20, dexterity check, modifier 5).
- Warm Meloon about it.
- Do nothing.

Shoot it with an arrow (rolled 15).
Iselas blanched at the sight of the creature crouched on Meloon's back, once hidden but now in plain sight. The crossbow she'd lowered was immediately hefted back into her hands and lined up for the shot. She couldn't allow that thing to continue leeching off of him, and hopefully by shooting it down she'd be able to elevate him from his strange behaviour over the last few weeks.

Taking a deep breath, she closed one eye and lined up the shot carefully. Hopefully the creature wouldn't be able to conceal itself from her arrow now. Iselas also hoped that, should she miss, she didn't hit the very man she was trying to save.

Your arrow flies straight, finding the soft flesh of the creature with ease and taking it clear off Meloon's shoulder just as he finishes strangling the thug. He flinches at that, feeling the impact, letting the dead body fall to the ground and gripping his axe tighter. You can see him looking down at the grotesque intellect devourer writhing on the ground for a moment longer, before going limp and then disintegrating into a puddle of black goo.

Mellon nudges it carefully with his boot and then snaps around, looking in your direction. He can see you on the roof, as you had to peek out in order to shoot, and you can see him scowling.

"Get down here!" He calls in an angry tone.

- Run away.
- Talk to him from the rooftop.
- Climb down.

Climb down.
Satisfaction curled up in the bottom of her stomach as the wretched creature was sent sprawling backwards from Meloon's shoulder. Iselas watched with an expression of pure distaste as it turned into a vile puddle of black that closely resembled tar. At least that was dealt with, and it seemed that he'd killed the final thug too. Perhaps now would be a good time to make her escape?

Just as she lowered her crossbow and took a slow step backwards, as if to make her retreat, Meloon's loud voice rung out from the alley. He sounded angry. Iselas was suddenly reminded of the fact that he was very big and very scary and she really didn't want to go against him in a fight.

"Hold on, I was just trying to help!" Iselas called back as she ventured over to the edge to find an easier way down. Jumping really didn't hold any appeal to her.

You climb down the side of the building easily as the old facade provides enough footholds. Meloon waits, with his axe gripped in his left hand, and a scowl on his face. As you approach him you see recognition in his eyes.

"You." He growls. "You were in my room yesterday. What were you trying to find there?" He steps toward you menacingly. You then notice that your head reaches barely up to his chest. "Was that creature yours? And these mercenaries?" He gestures at the three dead men.

- Argue with him.
- Try to calm him down.
- Try to be rational.
- Escape.

Try to be rational.
When Iselas feet touched solid ground she turned to find a very angry, very threatening, very big Meloon advancing upon her. Slowly she raised her hands in a display of surrender; if she owned a white flag she'd be blatantly waving it between them. Iselas was pretty sure she'd get in trouble for outright revealing her mission, so she attempted to improvise.

"Why would I shoot that mage and kill the creature on your back if they were mine?" Iselas reasoned, aiming for diplomatic and reassuring. "Look. I'm sorry for breaking into your room but I was trying to get that thing --" She motioned vaguely to the puddle of black on the alleyway floor. "-- and it kind of messed with my mind." That was an understatement. It practically rewrote her every thought for the next few hours.

Meloon glares at you as you speak, but at least he doesn't interrupt you. When you finish defending yourself, he looks again at the black ooze and at the dead mage with your crossbow bolt still in his shoulder. Then he groans.

"I was sidetracked for too long." He says finally, turning away from you. "Don't try to sneak into my room again and we'll call it even." He warns as he walks away.

Meloon didn't comment on his strange habits in the last days and you don't know if disposing of the devourer solved the issue completely, but there's not much you can do at this point. And you got through it without any injuries.

- Report the details to Blackstaff now.
- Report in the morning.

Report the details to Blackstaff now.
"Deal!" Iselas breathed in genuine relief, dropping her hands as her face broke out into a sunny smile. "It was nice to meet you!" She called after him as he walked away, visibly much more jovial now that she wasn't under threat. That went better than she thought it would! For a second there she thought he was going to launch that big axe into her face.

Turning on her heel she departed from the alley, immediately headed for the tower she'd only recently left. Iselas didn't want to wait too long to report, she needed to tell Varja her findings as soon as possible. Waiting would just make her anxious for action. Also, she needed some direction in what to do; would this mean that Meloon would return to normal? Was her mission complete? Iselas huffed a low breath of frustration. She also had a certain noble to thank still.

Varja Blackstaff isn't completely happy with your report. She sighs and gives you a long look.

"Your task was only to observe and report. Not to interfere. That's for Force Grey to do." She shakes her head. "I am thankful for keeping an eye on Meloon, but you still went against the terms of the mission."

She gives you your payment still, eighty gold dragons, and glances at you briefly before turning to the papers on her desk.

"Your report confirms my suspicions. Intellect devourers were found in two homes of prestigious Waterdavians this week. Someone is trying to influence the people in key positions for whatever purpose. Since you are so eager to get your hands dirty, you could be the right person for this job. I will summon you when I have more details." She dismisses you then.

- Spend your free time with Regongar/Amiri.
- Spend your free time working on the tavern repairs.
- Spend your free time resting.
- Spend your free time exploring the neighbourhood.

Spend your free time annoying Renaer.

In all honesty authority figures had never really been Iselas' strong point. Though she wasn't as blatantly disrespectful as Amiri and Regongar could be, there was still an obvious divide between what she was supposed to do and what she wanted to do. What she was supposed to do; not reveal herself or interfere with Meloon's task. What she wanted to do; stick an arrow in that annoying mind creature and make sure Meloon lived to see another day. It really wasn't a hard choice to make.

Nonetheless, Varja didn't seem too angry with her and she'd gotten paid anyway! That was always a win-win in Iselas books. So, in reality, the fact that Meloon was still alive and kicking was just an added bonus.

"Ah~ I'm always the right person for the job!" Iselas informed Varja brightly on her way out the door; a blatant and extravagant lie, clearly. One that she punctuated with a wink. Still, she had some newly acquried money (for her tavern to-be, of course) and some free time on her hands. Perhaps it was time to pay a certain noble a visit? She liked the sound of that.

006DgsQsly1ftdq992z1fj31oy0u0x6p.jpg

You visit Renaer in the morning in his mansion in the Castle Ward. It is easy to find because everyone in Waterdeep knows where Neverembers live. The mansion is huge as befits the former Open Lord of the city.

However, when you ring the doorbell, no servant comes to answer, but instead it is Renaer who opens the door. He looks surprised to see you.

"Miss Iselas?" He looks you over, then grins. "Looks like the dungeons didn't break your spirit."

- Answer.

Answer.
Iselas, who wasn't immediately expecting to see Renaer's face, startled slightly at his appearance at the door. Weren't nobles supposed to be too high and mighty to answer their own doors? After a brief flicker of surprise she visibly brightened, matching his grin with her own sunny one.

"I've got a lot of spirit for them to break, so it'd take them a while, and honestly? I think the guards lack the creativity needed for such an endeavour." Iselas teased with a playful wink, as if she wasn't talking about torture. Then she recalled why she'd bothered to come to Renaer's house in the first place.

"But, ah, I wanted to thank you for..." She made a vague gesture with her hand, scrunching up her nose slightly. "I promise I wasn't doing anything illegal -- well, it was illegal but it came from a good place!" Iselas patted the material over her heart as if to emphasise this 'good place'. "Besides, Meloon has forgiven me! Well, we talked, he said we're even, and he didn't try to axe me down. So, I'm taking that as a good sign." Was she rambling? She definitely was. Thanking someone who you were supposed to not like was very hard.

"Well, the City Watch doesn't do torture." Renaer smiles. "So you can rest assured the next time you end up in jail." He raises an eyebrow. "And I have a feeling that you might." He chuckles then, moving to let you in. "You are most welcome. Please come inside, I just made tea."

When he moves aside you can see into a large hallway with a royal red carpet and busts of various prominent Neverembers lining the way ahead. However, no servants are in sight yet. Renaer walks down the hall, expecting you to follow.

- Go with him.
- Ask about his home.
- Ask about his father.
- Ask something else.

Ask something else.

"Who? Surely not a law-abiding citizen like myself!" Iselas gasped, faking affront as she followed the nobleman inside, closing the door behind them. Briefly she glanced over the fuddy-duddy ancestors that littered the hallway of the mansion and raised an eyebrow.

"Nice place you got here. Very regal, very... big. Almost like your father was over-compensating for something," Iselas shot him a mischievous smile as she said this, before innocently continuing onwards, "So, what have you been up to? Other than rescuing elfin damsels in distress, that is."

Renaer leads you into a saloon where a tray is placed on en end table next to a large sofa.

"My father liked the grandeur." He says, gesturing you to take a seat. "He bought this place and had it restored while he was in office. Turns out that's not the only thing that kept him busy then." There's a fond smiled on his face. "I can't begin to tell you how much trouble he left behind for me. I've been kidnapped by every gang and merc in this city at some point in the past year. I haven't had much time to do anything else, really. Thankfully the City Watch looks out for me, so I got through without a scratch, but I know it's not going to end until the Neverember dragons are found."

He excuses himself for a moment, disappearing off to somewhere briefly, then returning with another cup. He pours tea for both of you and adds sugar to his cup.

"Tell me honestly, were you brought to Waterdeep by the story about my father's fortune?" Renaer asks, looking at you directly.

- Tell the truth.
- Lie.
- Try to change the subject.
- Stay silent.

Tell the truth.

Iselas took the offered seat, shifting forwards slightly to keep her crossbow from digging into the small of her back. Renaer's explanation on the grand nature of the mansion and his unfortunate series of kidnappings made her frown. It wasn't an annoyed frown, rather it was one that was born from concern or perhaps a small amount of sympathy. It was hard to tell.

"That must have gotten old, real fast." Iselas mused quietly, watching as Renaer disappeared from sight only to reappear a few moments later with another cup. It was for that same weird, hot leaf water that'd she'd been drinking earlier. Iselas watched as he dissolved the sugar in his own drink curiously.

"Hmm?" She hummed at the question, glancing up from his drink, only to find Renaer's strangely serious gaze. "Well, yeah?" Iselas answered bluntly, head tilted to the side in question as she considered whether that was the answer he was looking for. "I like money and I like adventure! The story definitely made it sound fun and, at the time, we had nothing better planned so we figured, why not?" She shrugged loosely, leveling him with a bright almost flirtatious smile. "I promise I have no current intentions of kidnapping you... yet~"

Renaer's brows furrow at first, as he watches you in silence, but then he picks up on the tone and smiles.

"Well, I might not mind being kidnapped then." He says, his tone reflecting the flirtation in yours, before he straightens up and sighs. "I don't know anything about the secret vault and dragons. My father never spoke of it. I don't even know where he is, but I know that he's alive." He smiles again. "To be honest, I think he built the vault for this reason exactly. To have people lose sleep and money trying to discover it, to have them fight over it while he watches from a distance, no doubt laughing. That's the father I know."

A moment passes and Renaer looks at you again, his expression serious this time.

"Thank you for visiting. It's nice to have someone different to talk to. I hope you'll visit again."

- Answer.
- Ask him something.
- Leave.

Answer.
The kind of father that he knew? Iselas hummed thoughtfully at this; she didn't have any prior experience in the parental field so she couldn't make an informed decision on that matter. Truthfully, she liked the idea of leaving a fun legacy or adventure for people to try their hand at. It seemed like something she'd do. But leaving her own child vulnerable to kidnappings and occasionally endangering their life? Seemed a bit shady.

Renaer's quieter, more serious statement brought her smile back, brighter this time and visibly genuine.

"Normally I don't like nobles based on previous experiences," Iselas admitted with the same blunt faced honesty from before. "But I like you. So, I'll make sure to visit again. Figure it must get boring, huh? You're welcome to visit my house -- home? Uh, haunted tavern? Whatever." She waved a dismissive hand and pretended like her expression hadn't softened fondly at the mention of a home.

"Thank you." Renaer says and you see he's a bit flustered now, averting his gaze and blushing. "I'll visit as well. Take care of yourself here, Iselas. Waterdeep is not a very friendly place."

--

A couple of days pass uneventfully and you receive a flying envelope from Blackstaff again. It squeezes under the door of the Trollskull tavern and floats down on the bar in front of you, unfurling to reveal the contents.

We have found the source of unrest in Waterdeep and Force Grey. It is coming from Nihiloor, the mind flayer that works for the Xanathar. Find him and dispose of him. I'm sending Meloon to help you with this task and you are allowed to bring others you trust. It is crucial to deal with Nihiloor before his influence spreads any further.

You have encountered the mind flayer in the Xanathar hideout in the sewers and you still know how to get to there. You also remember that it had passed through a hidden door and you chose not to follow him at the time. You have two potential ways to find him - either stake out the Xanathar hideout in the sewers until he shows up again, or find those doors and go through them, risking to encounter more than the mind flayer. Either way, you'll have to go to the hideout in order to proceed.

- Go with Meloon only.
- Go with Regongar/Amiri/both and Meloon.

Last edited:
Go with Regongar, Amiri, and Meloon.
The letter said to only take people that she trusted and there was nobody that Iselas trusted more than her two companions. Taking both of them along seemed like the safer option too, especially since she wasn't the type to stake out an area and wait for the fight to come to her. That seemed counter-productive.

Regardless, she wanted to be as up front as possible with Regongar and Amiri. Letting them know exactly what they were getting into and allowing them the option to back out should they have a conflict of interest. Iselas wasn't going to force them into anything after all. Though Amiri and Meloon had to meet at some point; giant axe man meets barbarian woman wielding a frost giant sword? Iselas wanted to see that so bad.

Last edited:
To everyone's surprise, Meloon and Amiri's first meeting goes great. At first they size each other up, circling around like two tigers.

"Clan?" Meloon asks.

"No clan." Amiri answers.

"Good. Me neither." The big man nods.

For a barbarian to be without a clan meant that they didn't have to uphold grudges that their clans had, which was a convenient first step for the two. Another thing that led to them bonding was of course their weapons. Meloon introduces his axe instantly, Azuredge, apparently a weapon with a mind of its own, that only stays with a person of strong will. Having been influenced by the intellect devourer, Meloon had almost lost his prized weapon too. Amiri, of course, brags about the frost giant she slayed to get its weapon which prompts an interested hum from Meloon.

Amiri doesn't talk much after that, but you can see that Meloon's demeanor is much different than when you saw him last time. He greets you with a surprisingly kind smile and pats your back fondly, shaking the hands of your companions too. On your way down to the sewer entrance, he talks with you about Force Grey and how thankful he is to have kept his place in it because of you. He continued to pat your back a couple of times after, though he's very careful not to hurt you. For a barbarian, he's surprisingly civilized.

--

Your journey goes smoothly, following the signs in the sewers, though this time faster. Even if only you and Regongar can see in the dark, Amiri remembers the way and doesn't stumble. Meloon has to be led, but he has a good sense of his surroundings, so he only places a hand on your shoulder and follows you closely. You don't trip or run into each other. His hand is heavy and warm, and huge.

You reach the Xanathar hideout, which is empty. The bodies have been cleaned up from last time, furniture repaired and even weapons stacked neatly on racks, but it seems that they didn't get to return fully yet. Someone had to come at some point to check it out though.

The door that you remember Nihiloor walking through is made out of solid stone, with an indentation that vaguely resembles the shape of an eye. There is no door knob.

- Try to open it with force.
- Try to open it with spells.
- Look around for the eye-stone.
- Set up an ambush at the door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back