• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Double Cross: Zoinks, a Gjaum! (Recruitment) [Forum] [Dice]

Dietaku

Crimson Cool Sage
Since I heard about Double Cross on /tg/ before, I've wanted to try it out. To that end, I'm seeing who else is interested.

What is Double Cross?: It's a recently officially translated Japanese TTRPG about super heroes empowered by a strange virus. It focuses on combat similar to 4th Ed DnD and social connections, as your links to other people keep you from becoming a monster.

Number of players: 4-6, thereabouts.

Premise: The Town of Duwang has always been known as a source of strange happenings, and none more so than the local high school, St' Xavier's Academy. Recently, a string of outright supernatural occurrences have happened, and people are secretly beginning to ask questions. Can you get to the bottom of these mysteries?

The game will be equal parts light-hearted school action, and combat/investigation. Playing a student will not be necessary, if being a teenager is not your bag, but having a connection to the school will definitely help.

Restrictions/Concerns: All syndromes will be allowed. I'd prefer if interested parties use the construction rules when creating their characters.

Something else of note is I'm not a master of this system by any means. As I said before, I'm starting this to see how the game runs, as it looks super-interesting, so those without any prior experience are more than welcome, as we'll figure it all out together.

Never heard of it. But I've not been on /tg/ much lately.

I'll see if I can dig up a copy to examine, but as fun as it sounds I'm overstretched. Good look finding players, though.

I haven't heard of it either but I'd definitely be interested, I'll find a copy of the rules somewhere. I'll respond later with a character design, but for the moment you can count me in.

I would be interested. Are you using the 3rd edition rules. Not sure earlier versions were available in English.

I'll have to get a copy and see what is out there as far as syndromes go.

I enjoy obscure things. Plus I need to practice and develop new archetypes, count me in as soon as I find the books.

Ffffffff- very interested ,_, I picked up the book, but I haven't digested the game yet

Dietaku said:
Premise: The Town of Duwang-
tumblr_m8d4wk5E951ru57zno1_500.png

Picnic responsibly.

You got me. I was debating using Duwang or Morioh-Cho for the town name, as Diamond is Unbreakable really nails down the mood I am going for: when a mild-mannered town gets a whole heaping spoonful of the Weirds.

Another thing I didn't consider before is that Renegade Beings are A-ok if anyone is interested in them.

As per your earlier concern, Solyrflair, it looks like the English translation is the 3rd edition, which is the one we'll be using. If you're familiar with the game and also want to use the Ouroboros strain, I'll have to consider that, as I don't actually have a translation of the Ouroboros power set yet (Sadly).

I'm glad this has gotten so many interested players, and I'm looking forward to everyone's character ideas.

I'd be interested in playing the scruffy super janitor but no money on hand to buy the pdf unfortunately. Might end up just lurking and reading when it gets set up though.

[QUOTE="Action Replay]I'd be interested in playing the scruffy super janitor but no money on hand to buy the pdf unfortunately. Might end up just lurking and reading when it gets set up though.

[/QUOTE]
We could help you. They do have a roll your character system, so all you would need is 6-7 rolls of d100 and we could get you a working background. Then a few considerations on power classes and you would be ready to go from there.

I am brand new at this. Never seen it before this weekend. But I have a piqued interest now that I did some background reading about the system.

Alright. Is that like an immediately or whenever we get the forum for it set up?

[dice]6368[/dice]

[dice]6369[/dice]

[dice]6370[/dice]

[dice]6371[/dice]

[dice]6372[/dice]

[dice]6373[/dice]

[dice]6374[/dice]

Last edited by a moderator:
Threw them down in the last post. Mind if I ask why we need the 7 100's? Just to roll up stats or randomly generate something?

It's all the background pieces. Who you are. Who you are related to. Where you come from. People you know. Situations you suffered through.

They modify your base stats. There will be a few choices you might need to make and then flush out details. But those seven rolls and a couple of starting choices will get you 85% of the way.

[QUOTE="Action Replay]Threw them down in the last post. Mind if I ask why we need the 7 100's? Just to roll up stats or randomly generate something?

[/QUOTE]
As Soy stated, it's background info for your character, along with certain mechanical bits. Each one will give you a Lois, or a person whose relationship with you keeps you sane. Otherwise, the virus that grants you powers turns you into a monster, or a Gjaum (Hence the title).

The 84 is Estranged Relatives. The recommended Lois for this one are the relative(s) that hate you. This also brings up the good point that the relationship that keeps you sane need not be positive. Yes, you can hate someone so hard it keeps your mind intact, which I think is pretty neat.

The 2 is (Assuming you're continuing on with being a Janitor), is that you lived an unassuming life. The recommended Lois is a coworker of note.

28 is Unsettled Score, and this means that you have some unfinished business with an NPC. The NPC you rolled is Johan C. Cauldwell; the so-called son of the Founder of the Forgotten Hearts Group, a terrorist organization focused on bringing down the official UN task force based on containing and training new Overeds (The super heroes).

The 7 is "Orders." Your infection involved your evolution into an Overed being demanded of you for whatever reason. This sets your Base Encroachment as 15. Encroachment acts as the "Go-Juice" for your super powers, but also acts as a currency to enter scenes. The Base Encroach is the amount you start each "Session" with.

100 is Fear for your Impulse. The Impulse is the subconscious emotion that will rise up whenever your virus awakense, which happens around powerful Overeds or Gjaums. The base encroachment for this impulse is 17, which makes your total Base Encroah as 32.

And it turns out I miscounted the tables. My b.

Now, you can either roll to see your character's thoughts on the Loises you start with OR you can think up them yourself.

The next order of business is to determine your breed and the syndromes you exhibit. Breed is how many "syndromes" or powers your character has access to, as limiting yourself grants you access to powerful abilities not available to Crossbreeds, but limits what role you can perform in battle. You can have up to three, but no less than one.

The Syndromes are:

Angel Halo: Light manipulation, lasers, and ranged attacks

Balor: Darkness and gravity manipulation. The Path of the "Tyrant"

Black Dog: Electricity manipulation, electronics manipulation and cybernetics

Bram Stoker: Blood manipulation and various other "Vampire" powers.

Chimera: Shapeshifting your body into bestial parts, and various weird animal powers.

Exile: Shapeshifting using elasticity or unnatural body manipulation. Think Monkey D. Luffy or Plastic Man.

Hanuman: Extreme speed and sonic powers. The Flash is a good model for this.

Morpheus: Item creation and manipulation.

Neuman: Smarts and fast thinking are this Syndrome's tools.

Orcus: Can set down a personal "Domain" and manipulate it and the causality within.

Salamandra: Allows temperature manipulation, so you can control heat or cold.

Solaris: Chemical manipulation, to create drugs or poisons.

There's also Ouroboros, which allows for manipulation of others' powers and shadows, but that hasn't been translated.

Also of note, Ladies and Gentlemen, the forum is up and ready for use.

Dietaku said:
Otherwise, the virus that grants you powers turns you into a monster, or a Gjaum (Hence the title).
Gjaum being the term for such monsters, right.

Dietaku said:
The 84 is Estranged Relatives. The recommended Lois for this one are the relative(s) that hate you. This also brings up the good point that the relationship that keeps you sane need not be positive. Yes, you can hate someone so hard it keeps your mind intact, which I think is pretty neat.
As they say, hate makes the heart grow stronger. Lois I assume is the term for your morality anchor, based off Lois Lane for the terminology?

Dietaku said:
The 2 is (Assuming you're continuing on with being a Janitor), is that you lived an unassuming life. The recommended Lois is a coworker of note.
What a terrible day. I kira yoshikage just want a quiet life but these shit heads keep getting in my way. So this is a second and different lois to the one who hates my guts?

Dietaku said:
28 is Unsettled Score, and this means that you have some unfinished business with an NPC. The NPC you rolled is Johan C. Cauldwell; the so-called son of the Founder of the Forgotten Hearts Group, a terrorist organization focused on bringing down the official UN task force based on containing and training new Overeds (The super heroes).
The 7 is "Orders." Your infection involved your evolution into an Overed being demanded of you for whatever reason. This sets your Base Encroachment as 15. Encroachment acts as the "Go-Juice" for your super powers, but also acts as a currency to enter scenes. The Base Encroach is the amount you start each "Session" with.

100 is Fear for your Impulse. The Impulse is the subconscious emotion that will rise up whenever your virus awakense, which happens around powerful Overeds or Gjaums. The base encroachment for this impulse is 17, which makes your total Base Encroah as 32.

And it turns out I miscounted the tables. My b.

Now, you can either roll to see your character's thoughts on the Loises you start with OR you can think up them yourself.
So I have a grudge with terrorists. As for orders...confusing wording. My getting the super cooties was because some(one/thing) demanded it of me implying some sort of conscious choice? So do I need to pay some go juice to enter a scene? I also get subconsciously afraid when I get near powerful heroes/monsters?

Fine with the rolling since that's what we've done so far already. Will need to think more on syndromes.

To answer your questions in order:

Lois is the in-game term for the morality anchors, yes. I assumed it was based off Lois Lane, but I have nothing to confirm or deny that.

Yes, the coworker is another, different Lois.

Sorry about that. The exact wording is

You were ordered to "evolve." You may or
may not have accepted this order, but you

did change.
So, yes. Someone or something told you to change when you were infected, and that's how you became an Overed. Also of note, Johan is also one of your Loises. As you stated before, sometimes the best relationships are ones where you can't stand each other.

As for Encroach for scenes, I misread that section. You have a base Encroach, and that acts as a "Baseline" percentage for how awake your virus is. To enter a scene, you roll d10, and add that to your Encroach. You also add Encroach to your base rate when you use powers, and when you encounter powerful enemies. Now, this doesn't seem so bad, especially since having a high Encroach adds dice to your pools, except that should the session end and your encroach is over 100, that character becomes a Gjaum. This is where the Loises come in. For every Lois you have, you can roll a d10 and subtract that from your Encroach rate. This signifies how your spending time with people reminds you of your humanity/ you recall your friends in your darkest hour/ etc. . We'll get to those more when we get to them. I apologize for the confusion.

As for being subconsciously afraid when you encounter strong foes, you have to roll an Impulse check. If you fail, you're overcome with that emotion, and come that closer to becoming a Gjaum, as you're losing yourself to the virus (You raise your Encroach a little, too). I liken them to limit breaks in Exalted, if that helps at all.

Feels more like the Asura karma from tenra bansho if anything since you can come back from limit breaks but here if you fail the check you're kinda boned. Does answer my questions. Thanks Dietaku.

So the character construction thing I've been building has gotten me about this far.

Pure Breed

Exile

HP: 33

INish: 7

Body: 6

Sense:3

Mind: 1

Social: 2

Melee

Ride (2)

Range

Perception

Info (Military)

Powers

Warding (1)

Resurrect (1)

Concentrate (2)

Mark of the Twisted (3)

Giant Growth

Hollow Body

Wriggling Swamp

Cover: Grade Schooler

Work: Mercenary
And I'm still in progress, just giving an idea of my concept.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back