• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Help Docs Character Sheets

Murdergurl

will turn your insides into your outsides
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
So a while back I had recieved a warning from a mod about linking out to a character sheet I made using Docs for an RP on-site. And... I dunno whre that PM went, but I was looking back over the rules and I simply can't find where there are even rules about that. Also, if this is a rule about linking off-site for something like that, then why do we even have an entire section that lends to off-site roleplay avenues like Discord (or even Google Doc RPs)?

Anyhow, the reason I was trying to find the place where the rule was written is because if I am going to make an RP request, my Character Sheets and Lore Documents are all formatted very nicely in Google Docs format. They simply cannot be transferred over to the sites format without losing all the work that I've put into making them.

There is a rule about it actually!

Off-site Information
Users who are here to recruit for their roleplays - even if they are happening off-site - must host the roleplay recruitment information onsite. This means that linking your roleplay preferences or information (such as google docs, toyhou.se, charahub, tumblr, wordpress, etc) is not permitted. You must post the information here on RpNation. This is important for moderation purposes.

Additionally, off-site contact information doesn't belong anywhere outside of your profile identities, PMs, or the Off-site Ads.

Discord servers should not be linked anywhere in the onsite recruitment. They can be allowed to be linked from your OOC threads or PMs if they are for OOC purposes. If they are for your off-site roleplay then they can only be posted within Off-site Ads.

So basically, for on-site roleplays we request information to be hosted on the site.

So basically, for on-site roleplays we request information to be hosted on the site.
okies, thanks for the reference point. I guess I kept missing it.

Personally, I try to keep the roleplaying ON the forums because I've been noticing a migration away from these kinds of venues and I don't really like to contribute to that. Of course, I do occasionally indulge in Discord RPs because that's simply where the roleplay is. But if I can help it, I try to keep it on sites like these. That being said, rules like this kind of make it harder to do this if by using outside resources we are then relegated to having to host the entire RP off-site.

C'est la vie.

Anyhow, thank you for the clarification.

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but most of the on-site RPs these days have off-site OOCs- isn't that a contradiction?

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but most of the on-site RPs these days have off-site OOCs- isn't that a contradiction?
This is true! I totally forgot that a lot of the RPs on-site make their out of character chats on Discord. Which usually leads to a schism between people who want to keep the RP and its elements on-site. They opt out simply because the discussions are taken off-site while the RP is here.

I guess what I'm saying is, if an OOC can be taken off-site for RPs hosted on-site. Why can't a CS repository and lore document be done in the same manner? Because they are all supplements to the on-site roleplay.

We require rp-related info to be posted on the site for moderation purposes. If something goes wrong - if it happens on the site - we can take action because we have logs.
If someone links to Gdocs with roleplay info, they can alter the contents at any time without us being able to track that.

People can still communicate on Discord and have their roleplay on the site, and the roleplay and its related information should comply with the site rules. The links people post on the site should comply with the site rules.

When people go off site for roleplay or OOC communication, they willingly take risks. We can not moderate content which does not happen on the site. But we don't prevent people from communication through other means, obviously. It's not realistic to do so.

We require rp-related info to be posted on the site for moderation purposes. If something goes wrong - if it happens on the site - we can take action because we have logs.
If someone links to Gdocs with roleplay info, they can alter the contents at any time without us being able to track that.
Isn't an OOC where the RP is discussed, in essence, related to the roleplay?
People can still communicate on Discord and have their roleplay on the site, and the roleplay and its related information should comply with the site rules. The links people post on the site should comply with the site rules.

When people go off site for roleplay or OOC communication, they willingly take risks. We can not moderate content which does not happen on the site. But we don't prevent people from communication through other means, obviously. It's not realistic to do so.
So what stops people from outsourcing to Discord for an OOC and then having their Character sheets and other material on a separate channel on that platform, but then still RPing on the site? Seems like a pointless hurdle that can easily be circumvented. Personally, I hate RPing on Discord. But it seems like the rule set in place for being unable to moderate off-site content can easily be loopholed in this manner. So if y'all are serious about having people keep on-site RPs clear of off-site supplements, then you should prolly crack down on off-site OOCs that can easily be made to include content that you want to be made on-site. j/s

OR, just forego the notion entirely because it's so easily worked around.

Discord OOC

Feels like ya'll are over thinking this. OOC is allowed on other platforms, as long as the link to it comes from an OOC thread on RpN and nowhere else.

See our recruitment rules:
Discord servers should not be linked anywhere in the onsite recruitment. They can be allowed to be linked from your OOC threads or PMs if they are for OOC purposes. If they are for your off-site roleplay then they can only be posted within Off-site Ads.

We go about this process because it is very likely there are folks who don't use discord but still want to participate in OOC. There's obviously no way we're going to be able to stop people from talking about RPs offline. It just means we don't moderate other people's discord servers. It's up to the GM to decide what is on site and what isn't. We have in our rules that they put as much as reasonably possible on site so we can moderate and help protect both GMs and Roleplayers as issues arise.

In my own opinion, discord servers for RPs should only be used for stuff that can be easily deleted. Channels, messages, and entire servers can disappear, and everything with it. For important stuff like character and lore, I'd rather keep it on site, where we have a policy of "archive" instead of deleting.

Character Docs

Character docs and lore on the other hand, you can just copy paste into the reply box. From a moderation perspective, it makes it much more feasible to moderate and enforce rules when issues arise, since relevant content is on RpN (i.e. Plagiarism). From an etiquette and user perspective, it's just better experience to be able to stay on one single site. Imagine if 1/4 of your players' character sheets are just links to other website. That'll just be an awful experience, make everyone look like a spambot.

The forum editor has improved quite a bit since a few years ago, and should be able to properly convert most things from google docs if you just copy paste. If you absolutely need to use google doc for formatting, take a screenshot or just use the google doc bbcode tag. Tutorial - RpNation - BBcode Guide. Quite a number of old school bbcoders have actually just made google slides for their character sheets because of bbcode limitations of the time.

Alteras Alteras pointing out how people can circumvent the rule wasn't really my point... but I thought I'd make the point, regardless. Really, my concern is that the lore documents and character sheets that I've made simply do NOT convert over well into on-site posts. I'm not a coder. that stuff looks way too complicated, and tbh, I hate it when people over-code their requests. I only use bbcode in very small ways.

The stuff I have done up in Docs goes from a 10 down to a 5 when I've attempted to transfer it over to an on-site post. And it's kind of a buzzkill to see all the work I put into the presentation go to hell because the supplements HAVE to be hard-posted on the site if I want to RP here. reformatting and re-writing it in bbcode form is simply not a task I want to undertake and is a definite obstacle to my putting out a req for on-site RP (which is a definite preference to off-site roleplay)

And honestly, I really try to push for RPs to be done on-site because outsourcing RPs is what (I feel) will eventually lead to the demise of RP forum sites in the future. And if I can do anything to keep the roleplaying here, I will. But chopping the legs off of my presentation if I have to post CS and lore directly on here makes me more inclined to take it off-site. Which... I dunno, just kinda sucks overall.

Last edited:
If you wish to just embed the google doc in a post, you can use the gdoc tag, explained here.

Here is an example of @A Murder Of Corviknights using google slides for their character sheet.

This is all they needed:
Code:
[gdoc]1P42_OwCdbtwFKlIzw06aENgTG_siGc5Ipw00FzegfRI[/gdoc]

which is just taken from the url of the original google slide. https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1P42_OwCdbtwFKlIzw06aENgTG_siGc5Ipw00FzegfRI/

This will work for any google drive document.

Alteras Alteras welp... that didn't work out very well. Am I using the right URL?

Code:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TVM_GD_-NtLc9B3-p--SEeV3cd42DuHHqXb2IpSGnHo/edit#heading=h.uc6lifo12xnn

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TVM_GD_-NtLc9B3-p--SEeV3cd42DuHHqXb2IpSGnHo/edit?usp=sharing

This is really the only two ways I can think of accessing that doc I was using to check the coding. I put the gdoc in the brackets And niether of them worked

Last edited:
Code:
[gdoc]1TVM_GD_-NtLc9B3-p--SEeV3cd42DuHHqXb2IpSGnHo[/gdoc]

links should be formatted like these

Code:

links should be formatted like these
yes, I did that. I put the gdoc brackets [ ] thing on either end of both of the urls i cited. but i just got the broken links posted above

yes, I did that. I put the gdoc brackets [ ] thing on either end. but i just got the broken links posted above
I put your sheets into the coding for you ^_^;
but basically you don't copy-paste the entire link. Just the gdoc id bit from the link

but basically you din't copy-paste the entire link. Just the gdoc id bit from the link
yeah, i dont even know what that means. I copied everything that was in the little bar at the top of the page. I'm not a very computer literate person, tbh.

To clarify, that's the string of letters and numbers in the link between "/document/d/" and "/edit"

Nano Nano Alteras Alteras
okay, it posted. but it's still a fail. All the images of the goblin character are spinning gifs. They should be rotating to show a full 360 of the character. Also, the images are very blurry in comparison to what's in the Doc. So this is still a pale shade to what I have in the actual Doc and not good enough to be a standing substitute.

Nano Nano either way, thank you for the help. I appreciate your time

Nano Nano Alteras Alteras
okay, it posted. but it's still a fail. All the images of the goblin character are spinning gifs. They should be rotating to show a full 360 of the character. Also, the images are very blurry in comparison to what's in the Doc. So this is still a pale shade to what I have in the actual Doc and not good enough to be a standing substitute.

We work with what google lets us work with. Ultimately at the end of the day the google bbcode exists to help people that need to use google docs or sheets (this one I particular) for dice systems that have automated google sheets that do math for you.

I’ll take a look at the google bbcode to see if it can be tweaked or improved this weekend and double check that they didn’t make any changes in terms of image quality.

The on-site recruitment rule is more about information, lore, the actual role play recruitment. Users do not want to have to go off site to see what your rp is about.

We work with what google lets us work with. Ultimately at the end of the day the google bbcode exists to help people that need to use google docs or sheets (this one I particular) for dice systems that have automated google sheets that do math for you.
I get that it's not y'alls fault. You don't make the coding, afterall. you just use it.

I’ll take a look at the google bbcode to see if it can be tweaked or improved this weekend and double check that they didn’t make any changes in terms of image quality.

The on-site recruitment rule is more about information, lore, the actual role play recruitment. Users do not want to have to go off site to see what your rp is about.
I get that completely. I don't even like going off site for the ooc. its just the quality of the sheet definitely takes a nose dive when converted over, is all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back