Literature Do You Have a Favorite Author?

I very recently picked up the first Sandman by Neil Gaiman, then the second and third, and then American Gods, and I'm just falling in love. I don't know where this man has been all my life.

I have an obsession with Brandon Sanderson's books (at least the Cosmere ones) because of his excellent world building. No other author has built such a detailed, intricate and alien world and managed to make me believe in it to the extent that he has. Also, while the plot and world building is amazing, I love that he is one of few authors I have read who have depicted characters with mental issues where the mental illness is not the whole character. Seeing the hero who kicks ass and weilds magic occasionally succumb to impostor syndrome and seasonal depression, recognize and reflect over it and then pull themselves through it makes them so much more believable to me.

Terry Pratchett
The stories, the language, the humor... some of the best best book series I've ever read. I can't even pick my favourite book from the series because I like the whole Discworld.

S.M. Stirling is pretty cool, I really admire world-creators, and he did a pretty intriguing, if maybe unrealistic job of envisioning alternate history timelines and societies in his Draka series, and the Peshawar Lancers was a unique steampunk post-apocalyptic setting.

Still Terry Pratchett, ever since I first read that old paperback copy of "Witches Abroad" my mum kept on her bookshelf. (And back then I was young enough that I probably mostly found it funny because of the poor vampire that got eaten by a cat).
I still come back to the books every few months, and it's one of the very few series that makes me buy artbooks and even a cookbook.

My favorite author would probably be J.R.R. Tolkien, his writing that I read was terrific and exciting. Plus I did some research on his life before he died, Tolkien was a fascinating person.

One of my favorite authors is Jesse E. Owens, writer of the Summer King chronicles. Her mastery of characters and plot draws me into her worlds.

SCOTT WESTERFELD!!!! Me and my teen fantasies loving heart have read everything he has to offer! His Uglies series is my favorite and not only do I own it but I've read it a million times and I sometimes fantasize that one day I'll be the one to turn his masterpiece into award winning movies!

I have a lot of favorites tbh
So instead here’s my top go to authors:
Gary Paulsen
Kathy Reiches
Elizabeth Richards
Ruta Sepetys
David Levithan
Erin e. Moulton
Lanie Bross
Elizabeth Scott

I wouldn't call Trudi Canavan my favourite author ever but I have to say in the context of fantasy she has set the stage for magic as a whole. Her series on magicians has actually given us answer on how magic could work in a realistic concept. Nobody ever dealt with the question how you'd visualize casting a spell or speaking to someone telepathically. She did. It is a great read.

Brandon Sanderson has to have the best worldbuilding I have ever read. His Stormlight Archive is absolutely mindblowing. Would highly recommend to anyone who likes high fantasy.

J.R.R. Tolkien is definitely close to my heart.

Beyond that, I bounce between a lot of different authors, enjoying them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back