Other discouraged

4eyedintrovert

I'm getting into crocheting and I found some books and videos on youtube to help me but I keep getting discouraged. Either I hold the yarn too tight or too loose and I think the yarn has become frayed from all the times I've unraveled and reworked it. I'm thinking I should just get a new ball of yarn.

How do you stop yourselves from getting discouraged?

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can'tyou're right." - Henry Ford

For me, the simplest way to keep going is to view the failed attempts as a learning experience and change my perspective/attitude. I'm realistic enough in my views that I know that I won't be able to do most things perfectly on the first shot. Give yourself some slack and be patient with your skills. Maybe play some music that you like in the background when you crochet so you'll feel more calm or comfortable while you attempt your next try.

Being human means to accept your failures and overcome them. If you never give up:

1. You'll eventually accomplish what you want.
2. All the pain you went through to accomplish it will be a badge of honor to yourself and motivate you further.

To be honest, to me the key is to only tell yourself, "I'm only going to do one step."

Once you do that, wash, rinse, repeat.

That way, by only focusing on one step at a time, you are never overwhelmed by the project as a whole.

Man, I should really take my own advice and finish my first chapter of my novel manuscript now, huh?

Sometimes, things get overwhelming. So, you just gotta try it out slowly. Take your pace when it comes to learning stuff. What matters is that you enjoy it, and learn even just a little bit. If you ended up not enjoying it at all, then drop the hobby. Also, practice does make you better. Not perfect, just better.

And don't think of it as a competition. That's usually the reason why people get discouraged, I think. Also, failure. Stuff happens, but if you really want to get the feeling of succeeding in something, you gotta keep going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back