Advice/Help Discord: What am I Missing?

Do you view Discord and vital to role plays?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shog

The Infinite Being
I started accessing Discord when the site went down during it's last be update and haven't touched it since. I've been on this site for several years now and have never needed it, but ever since that update I've seen many RPs requiring the use of discord to participate. This immediately sends me in the other direction. I see no reason to use, much less require, Discord. From what I've seen you can create threads and conversations for external discussions. So what am I missing? Why is Discord now so seemingly vital for role playing? Does it have some amazing feature that's above and beyond what this site can offer? Please, I just want to understand.

I would say - consolidation and lack of worry.

Discord is very rarely down and it's pretty easy to tell at a glance when someone is online ( especially if you're in a friend conversation or private discord server with them )

Also it's easier to have discord on in the background and just check in when you have a notification than it is to keep this site on in the background.

Especially since unless you're in a pm with someone you might not necessarily get a notification if they post in a thread where you will get one if they ping you or whatever on discord.

I mean I don't see it as fundamentally that different than an OOC thread. But then I use discord for more than just this one specific site.

So maybe if you're making an account just for a roleplay I can see the issue.

I don't think it's vital for any roleplay, though it can be handy for OOC Chat. Of course, you can also make an OOC thread, but I think Discord is a little better because it allows the conversation to take place in real-time rather than in the leave-a-message-and-wait thing of the threads. As far as roleplay, unless you're participating in a fast-paced couple-line-at-a-time RP, I think Discord is actually less convenient because it's harder to format and has limited space available per reply.

There is an option for voice rooms, which I think are commonly used for dice RPs, but I've not used them myself.

Because holding a conversation on a forum is harder than RT chat. With discord, you get through the background shit a helluva lot quicker. It's also a pretty handy-dandy way to make your players become chums (supposedly) so your roleplay last longer than a flea's fart, which is incidentally the average lifespan of most roleplays in RPnation.

Thank you all for your input. What I mainly get out of this is that it is better for holding real-time conversations. I'm not much of a conversationalist myself, so I guess it really makes no difference on my end. I'm probably just going to stick with PMs and OOC chats.

Thank you all for your input. What I mainly get out of this is that it is better for holding real-time conversations. I'm not much of a conversationalist myself, so I guess it really makes no difference on my end. I'm probably just going to stick with PMs and OOC chats.

Certainly you don’t have to use it. I mean I don’t do groups but I’m 1x1s I think it’s usually just an added place to rp.

Ex. I’ll rp in discord, PMs, threads, or google docs.

Really I view it as any other request : nothing wrong fwith asking for what you want. Worse that happens person says no and you move on to the next search

Users who are viewing this thread

Back