Difficult Decisions...

Magick

Ser Pounce-A-Lot
I'm pretty new to RP Nation... But not to roleplaying in general. I roleplayed for years. I mean, first, I started off with my own writing (crappy stuff from around third grade) and then when I was old enough and allowed to get on the internet (junior high, which was YEARS ago, haha) I discovered the magical world of roleplay boards... I enjoyed it all through high school... AND then I graduated and college and my own writing totally consumed my life. I stopped roleplaying because it was almost like I had forgotten how to write a story by myself. In other words, I haven't roleplayed because I have been working on my own book... With the characters that I used to roleplay with and new characters. This book isn't a joke... I am going to get the whole thing copyrighted at some point. But my difficult decision is whether or not to roleplay with my familiar, flexible characters who I love dearly... Or to create entirely new ones to keep my book characters (who have changed since I last roleplayed) off the internet and sacred to my plotline while I'm in the process with this book?

Any fellow author/roleplayers ever face/facing the same issue? Also, I'm really sorry if this is the wrong place to post this... It's just bothersome because I want to jump in and roleplay, and I'm only familiar with my old characters. They've been through it ALL with me... But now they're kind of my serious writing side and I'm worried about putting them on forums. Not that I'm distrusting, but for copyright reasons later on down the road... I can create new characters, but... Ahh, it's a struggle. I'm probably over-thinking this, but honestly, going from writing alone and serious and long-term...to writing with people again? That is a culture shock for me, and the atmosphere in my previous roleplaying life was entirely different.

Thoughts? :(

Hi!

(: I went through the same thing not too long ago when a book I was working on hit print. I mulled over for a long time whether or not I wanted to recycle my novel characters in to the world of roleplaying and I saw pros and cons for both, but ultimately decided against it. My reasons for not using novel characters in roleplaying was many , but I think the biggest were because I didn't want to spoil the storyline I had in my head and I used (and still use) roleplaying as a creative outlet to produce new content,.

To begin with, I knew what the entire storyline of my safa was at the time of starting to write it. The characters I written there had very specific histories, relationships, and circumstances. I figured that if I tried to rework them to drop them into a roleplay, their vision would change in my head, thus disrupting the storyline I had planned. Furthermore, I didn't want to inadvertently plagiarize someone else's ideas. When you have your novel character interacting with someone else's characters, I figured it may be difficult to not include certain scenes, certain characters, etc. that do not belong to you because you roleplayed them and enjoyed them.

Secondly, I use roleplaying to create new content. Sure, I could vomit the same plotline up over and over, the same characters over and over.... but where is the fun in that? Roleplaying allows me to play character types I wouldn't normally write about. It allows me to explore new characters, new stories.

For these reasons, I try and keep my novel writing and my roleplay writing as separate as possible. I don't think there is truly a right or wrong answer, but I chose what was best for me. (:

That is exactly what has been circling in my head since I discovered this website and decided to jump back in. I'm so glad you replied... I think I have to relearn how to roleplay, if that makes sense. When I create characters now, since it's for a story, they're so detailed and have complex histories... And so much depth. If I create a new character, I feel like I'm supposed to stick him/her into a book! Haha.

I think I'll keep them separate though. It'll be like writing exercises that are really fun. :)

Haha, I totally get that. (:

Though, honestly, most of the characters I write for roleplays are way more detailed than what I actually throw into their character sheets. Don't be afraid to go a little wild!

Thank you so much for taking the time. I appreciate it, and I feel a lot better. Now I just need to come up with some spare roleplay characters. Haha. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back