• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Different languages, Different people, Different topics

Obsessed

Braiiness
I'm sure not everyone here are from America, Australia or UK and I'm sure not everyone here has English as their first language. So my suggestion is, why don't we make a forum where one thread will be built for that one language or one country and if the user knows how to speak that language and/or lives from that country, he can go there and hang-out, find and make friends and of course, use their language to speak to each other. Sounds good? Quite confusing right? How about an example?

Example, a thread named Spain - Spanish, all users who are from Spain or speaks Spanish can go there, talk using Spanish and make friends! And of course, there must be a forum to put this thread! (Note: One thread can only be made for each country or language (No dialects) so to do this, I suggest that moderators needs to approve the thread before it can be shown in the forum.)

And since we are talking about countries and languages, the question I had since I joined here is... Can we roleplay but not in English? Can we? No? Haha, I don't know (maybe for 1x1 idk for group rps) but I also have a suggestion for it. If we can see that there are a lot of people chatting on the threads I suggested above, why don't we put another prefix beside the title and the genre? A language. Yes, in that way, we can classify the languages of the roleplays. Though I don't know exactly how it will work since it depends on the idea i suggested above but I have some suggestions

1) A person can enter a language

2) A person can choose a language and cannot enter a language

It would look like (Genre)-(Language) Title

Sounds good? Tell me your opinions, I'll take it lightly ^^

While I love the idea of having different languages around the forums, the problem really boils down to how those sections can be moderated. English is set as the main language on this forum so it is easier for our staff members to take control when things go south. It's a lovely suggestion, but the main reason why RpNation does not allow users to converse within the forums in different languages is a rule/ safety thing.

Musician said:
While I love the idea of having different languages around the forums, the problem really boils down to how those sections can be moderated. English is set as the main language on this forum so it is easier for our staff members to take control when things go south. It's a lovely suggestion, but the main reason why RpNation does not allow users to converse within the forums in different languages is a rule/ safety thing.
Oh yes. I forgot to think about this. Silly me. We can't avoid those kind of people, can we? Well I would have said the people around it should be reported and such but as you said, the moderators would have a hard time since they might not know the language.

And the reply was so fast, I thought it would take hours lol

It is too difficult to moderate. That is the reason it is an English only site.

It does seem like a good idea, but as far as I know most Mods here know English and a few that it is it. Finding a way to moderate the areas is an issue and it would be a bit confusing. That's my opinion however.

Yeah, it's just as Muse and Mayumi have said. Even if some of the staff are multilingual, not all of them are and we wouldn't be able to perform moderation duties properly. Even if people in those kinda of sections reported rule-breaking behavior, we'd have to be able to fully understand the situation to deal out the appropriate punishment or even decide if there should be a punishment. Sure, we could attempt to use machine translators, but we all know how that goes and it would be insufficient. I think it would be very cool to have subforums for non-English content, but it would be impossible to do. Thank you for your suggestion, though!

Though it is silly *I hate that word but... It has to be used* it makes things easier to keep in English. I got in trouble for having my title in a different language so a whole forum for that... I guess if they got admins that were bilingual it would work but I doubt they'd do it... The farthest I get using other languages is having characters sprinkle French into sentences, haha.

I'm fairly certain users are allowed to have bilingual speaking characters, it's just not allowed to use other languages across the other forums or discussion threads, like out of character, personal discussion, etc, other than English.

Minimal usage of languages other than English is fine in some contexts (like having a word in your custom title), and IC you can have characters use dialogue in another language as long as it's not making up most of the post. Think moderation. Translations may be asked for by the staff, so in general if you're having another character use a lot of non-English dialogue it's best to just provide a translation somewhere in your post anyways. Makes it easier for your fellow rpers, too.

Ghost said:
Minimal usage of languages other than English is fine in some contexts (like having a word in your custom title), and IC you can have characters use dialogue in another language as long as it's not making up most of the post. Think moderation. Translations may be asked for by the staff, so in general if you're having another character use a lot of non-English dialogue it's best to just provide a translation somewhere in your post anyways. Makes it easier for your fellow rpers, too.

So I got in trouble for something I was allowed to do?... Huh... Also yeah... I said I was aloud to speak other languages in Character... But I said that's the farthest you can go really in using different

languages

[QUOTE="Despairingly Lucky]

So I got in trouble for something I was allowed to do?... Huh... Also yeah... I said I was aloud to speak other languages in Character... But I said that's the farthest you can go really in using different

languages

[/QUOTE]
If you think there is an issue with a warning you received from the staff, you're more than welcome to discuss the issue with the admins in Admin contact. :)

Musician said:
If you think there is an issue with a warning you received from the staff, you're more than welcome to discuss the issue with the admins in Admin contact. :)
No, it's fine... It happened a while ago... Though it was always the same person who warned me and now I learn it was fine... It's just an annoyance better left in the past. I have't seen them around lately so we're good, haha

This is actually a question that's been on my mind for a little while. Say that my first language is not English, and I find another person who writes my mother language. I want to RP with them in a language other than English. Can I email RP with them in my mother language or can I make a thread and RP in that language? I heard that we can't Skype RP or email RP, but I don't know if that only applies to sexual RP content. And also, I think people don't want to see an RP thread with some weird Asian language that they can't read.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ghost said:
Yeah, it's just as Muse and Mayumi have said. Even if some of the staff are multilingual, not all of them are and we wouldn't be able to perform moderation duties properly. Even if people in those kinda of sections reported rule-breaking behavior, we'd have to be able to fully understand the situation to deal out the appropriate punishment or even decide if there should be a punishment. Sure, we could attempt to use machine translators, but we all know how that goes and it would be insufficient. I think it would be very cool to have subforums for non-English content, but it would be impossible to do. Thank you for your suggestion, though!
I don't think it would be impossible. There is no such thing as impossible... But, anyways, I've been on websites that do have multiple languages... This is actually quite easy to moderate, if you do it right... You see, I'm a moderator on a different RP site, and I also speak fluent French. So, since a moderator speaks French, then we can have a French section. It just depends on the people in charge and what their abilities are. If there aren't any people who can speak multiple languages, then we wouldn't have any of them. It's just how life goes... Although, I wouldn't call it impossible. Just... Improbable. (I honestly don't care either way.)

While I'm sure it works for other sites, we have no intentions of releasing foreign forums at this time. There are just too many languages for our fairly small staff team to handle.

Users are allowed to have bilingual characters in RPers and even non English phrases for in character dialog as long as proper translations and stuff are provided.

However RpNation will never support any language other then English as the main site language because the staff wouldn't be able to moderate anything at all and frankly there are other RP sites in different languages for those that want it.

DreamBeat said:
This is actually a question that's been on my mind for a little while. Say that my first language is not English, and I find another person who writes my mother language. I want to RP with them in a language other than English. Can I email RP with them in my mother language or can I make a thread and RP in that language? I heard that we can't Skype RP or email RP, but I don't know if that only applies to sexual RP content. And also, I think people don't want to see an RP thread with some weird Asian language that they can't read.
My mother tongue is a weird Asian language :( (

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]Users are allowed to have bilingual characters in RPers and even non English phrases for in character dialog as long as proper translations and stuff are provided.
However RpNation will never support any language other then English as the main site language because the staff wouldn't be able to moderate anything at all and frankly there are other RP sites in different languages for those that want it.

[/QUOTE]
Ah shame, but i understand anyway. Thanks everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]Users are allowed to have bilingual characters in RPers and even non English phrases for in character dialog as long as proper translations and stuff are provided.

[/QUOTE]
Yep, that was exactly what I was thinking after I typed my earlier message. It's just easier to leave it in one language.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back