• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Dice? Nation Building?

Otakaboo Chichan

You could be the corpse and I could be the killer
Okay so I've been rping for nearly two and a half years now and I have legitimately never heard of either of these things.

While I have sort of the general idea of what they might be, could someone maybe explain? Thanks.

From my knowledge, the first important difference is the character creation. For dice games, there is usually a system that users will use to help determine particular traits of a character (strength, wit, etc.). For nation building games, you don't necessarily just create a character, you create an entire nation and write in the perspective of the nation in response to particular events. There are a lot of tutorials for Dice roleplay games. You may need to do some additional Google research for nation building roleplays.

You're welcome. (^.^) More users may jump in to give their own knowledge about the subject. Mine is incredibly limited.

Dice roleplays are games more like traditional tabletop RPGs, such as Dungeons and Dragons (D&D), Pathfinder, Exalted (and other White Wolf games) and so forth. They typically depend upon a system by which actions performed by the player (and the person running the RP) have their chances of success determined by rolling dice and comparing those dice to statistics on the character's Character Sheet. There are a vast number of systems that use dice, too many to name, and most tend to use dice with a certain number of sides (20-sided dice or D20s are popular).

Nation Building RPs, as previously mentioned, revolve less around the actions of single player characters, but more around the realms and nations they are from. Most often, the Player Characters are key figures in a nation, a warrior Emperor, a King, a General, a High Priest, and their actions are usually guided toward protecting their homeland and capturing or allying with their neighbors. Most, but not all, Nation Building RPs tend to be diceless, but some have used dice randomisation to represent chance or fate within the game.

Captain Hesperus

What Captain Hesperus said. ( ;) ) Grey has written a couple of nice tutorials on Dice and Nation-Building, if you would like more details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back