Developing OCs

<p>

Does anyone have advice for developing and creating OCs? Especially ones used in roleplay?

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, I've always been the type that thinks of something I want in a character (for example brown eyes and a nice laugh) and builds from there. I think was crucial to writing and developing a good character is it should be someone you can visualize on the street.

My friends and I do something called the New York test, it's simple but effective. If you were walking down a street in NYC (a city where you can see almost any type of person) and saw your character what would they be doing? What would they be looking at? Would they be smiling? Talking with someone? What do they look like? Which feature of theirs (their eyes, nose mouth) catches your eye? Do they have a tic, do they blink too much, do they run their hand through their hair? Further more, you as a person, Would you be shocked because your character has angel wings? Would you not understand why they had blue skin? How would you, a normal writer, react to your character, because that's how everyone around you, especially in a sphere of people who RP, will likely react.

For example, If you want them to be evil but walking down the street can't see that, maybe alter your design, give them a sinister look in their eye, put them in a dark suit, have them have a deeper voice. Build your character into something that fits into your vision of the real world and then you can place them most anywhere with some minor tweaks.

But if you really don't have any idea how to start many people start with the simple layout of:

Name:

Physical attributes:

Personality:

Character History:

From there you can always expand and grow your sheet but you have at least the basics down! Also looking up "character sheets" online will give you many more ideas!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back