DeathMatch 4

who are you betting on

• the five cover solars

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • their evil abyssal counterparts

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

orionstark1482

i really wonder who would win in a death match with a lunar ref to insure no outside assistance.

so who would win

a team of solars led by Dace or the Abyssals led by the Maiden of the Mirthless smile.

While Swan and Harmonious Jade are among my favorite characters, I doubt that they will be able to beat down the Surgeon. He's just too fucking evil. Probably would snatch off the Solars' limbs off in mid combat and make a war machine out of them.

...well, the Topless Lady is pretty silly, both her costume and her name, though. But I say the Surgeon pwns everyone by himself.

sssssz said:
While Swan and Harmonious Jade are among my favorite characters, I doubt that they will be able to beat down the Surgeon. He's just too fucking evil. Probably would snatch off the Solars' limbs off in mid combat and make a war machine out of them.
...well, the Topless Lady is pretty silly, both her costume and her name, though. But I say the Surgeon pwns everyone by himself.
ROFL OH GOD

i'm sorry but that is so awesome

Abyssals get chosen by their deathlords with their own flawed logic. there are plenty of absolutely useless abyssals around. children, gibbering madmen and outright failures. solars on the other hand are individuals chosen for greatness. destiny 3 and more. they will beat the living crap out of the deathlords toys.

Solars get chosen by the Unconquered Sun with their own flawed logic. there are plenty of absolutely useless solars around. children, gibbering madmen and outright megalomaniacs. abyssals on the other hand are individuals chosen for capacity to work the deathlords will in the world. destiny 3 and more. they will beat the living crap out of the unconquered sun's toys.

Zaramis said:
Solars get chosen by the Unconquered Sun with their own flawed logic. there are plenty of absolutely useless solars around. children, gibbering madmen and outright megalomaniacs. abyssals on the other hand are individuals chosen for capacity to work the deathlords will in the world. destiny 3 and more. they will beat the living crap out of the unconquered sun's toys.
um while grammatically correct you have written utter bull.

They would still be Destiny 3 or greater. That's a requirement for Celestial initiation, not the will of Lytek or his cronies; any less Destiny, and you just plain can't contain a shard, even one twisted by death essence.

You can't fit a car engine into a moterbike, even if you've stolen it and made some modifications.

I would say, however, that Solar shards are indeed always attached to people who have some form of heroism. A Deathlord could easily pick some angsty schmoe who's Destiny it is to write the worst poetry in the world.

Safim said:
Abyssals get chosen by their deathlords with their own flawed logic. there are plenty of absolutely useless abyssals around. children, gibbering madmen and outright failures. solars on the other hand are individuals chosen for greatness. destiny 3 and more. they will beat the living crap out of the deathlords toys.
Safim said:
Zaramis said:
um while grammatically correct you have written utter bull.
 Hey Safim, you have your own personal imitator!

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

Jukashi said:
They would still be Destiny 3 or greater. That's a requirement for Celestial initiation, not the will of Lytek or his cronies; any less Destiny, and you just plain can't contain a shard, even one twisted by death essence.
You can't fit a car engine into a moterbike, even if you've stolen it and made some modifications.

I would say, however, that Solar shards are indeed always attached to people who have some form of heroism. A Deathlord could easily pick some angsty schmoe who's Destiny it is to write the worst poetry in the world.
No... celestial exaltation needs destiny 3. abyssal exaltation gets chosen by the deathlord alone and they often make really odd choices, hence that many failures of abyssals in canon.

Wouldn't the very fact of being chosen by a deathlord impute Underworld Destiny on the poor sod? The Calendar of Setesh functions in many ways like the Loom of Fate, producing destinies for those under the sunless skies, does it not?

The Orrery of Rathess was supposedly used by the DKs to predict the Great Contagion, as it was able to view the Underworld's constellations. Of course, the Siddies dismissed their warnings... (Wonders, the section about the eight First Age wonders.)

It wasn't made to make sense, but I thought your statement was about as filled with sense as mine was :P

And I havent seen that many failed abyssals, about the same amount as failed solars.. like the guy who gets killed by Sesus Avaku just as he Exalts :P Its even stated that Solars arent chosen for their capacity of doing good, or correct actions. 2nd ed core says that they are chosen because they will USE THEIR POWER to something great. They can still be madmen, egoistical megalomaniacs or such, as well as really evil.

Maybe Solars would win, but it would be one helluva close fight imo. Especially since Abyssals can drain so much essence <3

Zaramis said:
It wasn't made to make sense, but I thought your statement was about as filled with sense as mine was :P
And I havent seen that many failed abyssals, about the same amount as failed solars.. like the guy who gets killed by Sesus Avaku just as he Exalts :P Its even stated that Solars arent chosen for their capacity of doing good, or correct actions. 2nd ed core says that they are chosen because they will USE THEIR POWER to something great. They can still be madmen, egoistical megalomaniacs or such, as well as really evil.

Maybe Solars would win, but it would be one helluva close fight imo. Especially since Abyssals can drain so much essence <3
Exactly my point. solars are destined to greatness, abyssals not neccessarily.

Essence expenditure (by the Solar, or others) throws Fate for a loop, so destiny really means fuck-all when dealing with Exalts.

-S

Zaramis said:
How can a Solar be killed as soon as he Exalts if he is destinied for greatness, by the way?
A great destiny can be read and a bronze faction siddie can make sure that someone is around when it happens.

They're fated for a spectacular death. One that changes the course of entire lands.  That their death doesn't throw the Realm into confusion and ruin is a great thing, by Sidereal reasoning.  Their sacrifice means others live out full lives, full of promise, hope, faith, and charity to others.  Or they're grist for the mill of the Great Wheel.  Either way, that death weighs heavily on our Dragon Blood, it makes him question his role, his place, it has import and effect.  

That the boy dies doesn't mean it's for naught. It just means that the next turn of the Wheel is affected by his final Fate.

As for our Abyssals vs Solars.  I put my money of the Solars.  Not because they Abyssals are screw ups--an ST who makes Abyssals with screws loose is one thing, but the Deathlords didn't get to be where they are by making really stupid choices.  Well, OK, they chose the Neverborn over returning to the Great Wheel, but even in their own brands of madness and pique, I don't see the Deathlords doing things for no reason.  

Abyssals are investments.  Maybe some you bank, maybe some you spend, but I don't see them just wasting their Abyssals just on whim.  

I put my money on the Solars, because they are smart, and while fair even in most things, they've the heros.  

The only way you get the Signature Solars going down, is if an ST has plans on his own PCs taking down the Signature Abyssals.  Then, drama dictates that the Solars are cut down with some perfidity, lashings of betrayal and nastiness, and only to fuel the PCs on as a goad to make the vanquishing of the Abyssals all the more sweet.

Otherwise, you let the Solars do their thing, bringing in the might of the Creation, and uniting people behind them, making allies along the way, forming armies and nations to take up arms, getting the Gods to get back in the game, and bringing in allies to tie up the forces of the Deathlords.

That, and the signature Solars aren't above cheating.  Fiar fights are for suckers, and none of the Signature characters appear to be suckers.  The Abyssals are probably going to forget that--after all who could be more devious than they are?  Their own pride and hubris will lead them to underestimate the Solars, who are supposed to be goody two shoes.

I always like to think of having "a great destiny" meaning that you have the *potential* for greatness. You're at the right place at the right time. Get the right nudges from people and your surroundings, giving you the chance to explore your full potential.

Not as a monolithic prophetic vision of the future. Meaning, their "destiny" is not a shield.

Pft, Solars as heroes ;P They are the heroes in the core book. But if you play a group of Abyssals who are trying to break free, then they are the heroes.

If you play a group of dragon blooded who are non-realm yet left defending their homes from a mad solar general, then they are the heroes.

If you play Dynasts who struggle to keep the realm intact and come out a better empire for the good of the people, then they are the heroes.

Same goes for Lunars, fair folk, what have you

I really dislike the whole "The solars are the true heroes and they will take home the game" idea. The world isnt black and white, it's grey, even in the Age of Sorrow, which I think WW has done a great job in portraying.

Solars for the win! :wink: they are the original badasses! Solars Killed the primordials, Abysals have conquered thorns...as far as experience goes, solars have a more impressive backround. plus solars live in creation, and in creation they are kings. kings in exile, but still kings. the abyssals cannot gain essense easily enough, and their hearthstones do not work in creation. mind you this is assuming the fight takes place in creation.

Gtroc said:
Solars for the win! :wink: they are the original badasses! Solars Killed the primordials, Abysals have conquered thorns...as far as experience goes, solars have a more impressive backround. plus solars live in creation, and in creation they are kings. kings in exile, but still kings. the abyssals cannot gain essense easily enough, and their hearthstones do not work in creation. mind you this is assuming the fight takes place in creation.
i wasn't thinking the fight would last over half an hour so essence regen doesn't play in. assume that all 10 start at full.

so then it is a straight fight then? that does change things a bit. I still hold Solars for the win though.

A legendary fight like that could easily last days I'd say. of course not if we go strict by the rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back