DB charm "Naming the honored brother" is it possib

Persell

Ten Thousand Club
this is a rough draft for a very powerful dragon blooded charm I thought up.

I know a lot of people will say that granting exaltion should not be possible for mortals I just thought I'd write this charm up cause I had a few minutes to kill.

Name: Naming the honored brother

Type: simple

Duration: Instantaneous

Presence 4

Lore 6

Occult 5

Essence 6

Cost "30 points of essence 6 willpower 1 Permanent essence point, 10 health levels.

This charm is almost invariably done in a highly ritualized and ceremonial manner, add 1 to the difficulty if less than 3 hours of preparation is possible.

but at a mininum both the dragon blooded and a mortal must cut some part of their body and press the wounds against each other allowing the blood to exchange freely.

the Dragon blooded then rolls Charisma+occult Difficulty 12

but difficulty can be mitigated by the following things.

-1 for every point the dragon blooded has in the breeding background.

-2 if the mortal and dragon blooded implicitly trust each other.

-2 if the mortal is in fact a Dragon touched.

-1 if the mortal has the Essence mastery merit.

-1 for every dot of essence the mortal has over 1

-1 for every dot the mortals highest virtue is over 3 as the dragons favor the virtuous.

-4 if a Zenith caste solar is there and blesses the ritual.

if the roll fails then the mortal must soak a number of aggravated damage equal to the amount the roll failed by if it botches then he dies and the dragon blooded has somehow angered the celestial hierchy)

If it suceeds.

The mortal immediately exalts as a dragon blooded of the same aspect of the dragon blooded employing this charm. his essence pool begins empty, barring any he might have possesed in a previous life as a dragon touched, or thaumatage, but begins filling at the normal rate.

The new dragon blooded does not posses breeding at all , regardless of that of the dragon blooded who performed the ritual

Story info:

The Immaculate order views the use of this charm as extremely blasphemous act, viewing the dragon blooded created by this cahrm as abominations rather then true dragon blooded.

the reason they give are manifold, "that it is an attempt to order destiny about" that its use is often times a waste to preserve beloved spouses or other such family.

their is also the fact the charm is greatly empowered by the aid of an anathema which does naught to endear it to the immaculates.

in this day and age few dragon blooded even know of its existence likiely less then a dozen have it and none of them will use it lightly.

if it must be said NO this charm may NOT be used on exalts of any kind, spirits, ghosts, demons or on non terrestial half caste god blooded

any mitigating factors you'd drop?

(The Diff was designed with mitagting factors in mind i'll admit)

I would say that turning a mortal into a Dragon Blooded is impossible with out Solar Circle Sorcery, and the mortal would hafe to have breeding or be a hafe Caste Dragon Blooded, either way the new Dagon Blooded would retain their breeding due to it being gentic, Hafe Castes should be slightly easyer to do this to.

I like the idea of the ritual but I do think your modifiers make it too easy.  Perhaps you should limit to mortals that are patricians  Also instaed of having a Zeniths approval how a about a signed petition from the celestial bureacracy signed by one of the dragons.

one of the reasons for the rather huge "zenith caste" modifier, I'll openly admit is because I wanted to explain how the charm is rare, almost unknown in this day and age when in spite of the huge costs (Permanent essence dots are rather huge prices) theirs many dragon blooded who might want to share their power and majesty with a spouse, relative, or dear friend.

I needed a reason why the charm would be viewed as blasphemous in this day and age.

Fair point, but why not add some extra complications as well, after all it is essentially taking on the power of the elemental dragons.  After all the Primordials were overthrown by there servants, so why  the gods let there powers be used by the exalted so regularly.

thats a fair point but I'll admit this charms still in its "prototype" stage where im still debating prequisities, costs etc.

I'll also admit I had thought the cost was high enough so as to make it prohibitive in the context of ever endangering the god's.

after some thought today I would say Celestial circle could probly be able to do it too, Solar would just have a lower difficulty and failure wouldn't result in the death of the target

Re: DB charm "Naming the honored brother" is it po

Something I don't know why people are overlooking

if the roll fails then the mortal must soak a number of aggravated damage equal to the amount the roll failed by if it botches then he dies and the dragon blooded has somehow angered the celestial hierchy)
Mortals can't soak aggravated damage. It should be (IMO) if the charm fails at all, the target mortal dies. Kinda adds a reason, on top of loosing a dot in essence, not to go around doing this to every mortal you tend to marry and love.

I don't think this Charm is exactly thematic for DB's. Let alone, it is in the province of Sorcery, if not the workings of Fate.

Imbuing a Mortal with expressing as a Dragon Blood?  Not exactly in the DB realm--assuming the perogotive of the Elemental Dragons number one, and way too powerful for the Terrestrials.  

This is in the realm of Sorcery, and not the Terrestrial Circle either.  Giving them a spell that helps folks express as Half-Castes, maybe, and that is still I think a lot for Terrestrial level Sorcery.

A Charm that allows their next child to become a Half-Caste...I could see that.  Not in usurping the mechanizations of Fate.

Charms aren't all that ritualized. Expressions of power that assist actions. Maybe you assume a stance, a form, laden your words with Essence, but not an extended ritual--that's what Sorcery is for.  Charms are shortcuts, they are instinctive kinds of magic, the easiest expressions of power. This is NOT anything like that.

A DB Charm that allows their next child to express as a Half Caste, not a bad idea.  A Charm that reinforces the bloodline, and gives the next child a bit more dap, not a problem.  Not a ritual, that's Sorcery and is not thematic for DB Charms.

I can see the kernal of the idea, but this isn't appropriate to even a high level Charm. It's Sorcery and put it there instead--and keep the blasphemous nature to the IO--the Heptagram and Wyld Hunt looking for Sorcerer who have access the blasted tome that it comes from is a nice touch, the IO's version of the Necronomicon. Fantastic idea, but this isn't a Charm.

Go Jakk

I did a full design last night here goes

CCS

Cost   30 motes

Target mortal with breeding may reroll their Exaltaion roll if they fail the mortal dies by inceration, or Target half Caste T may reroll for Exaltaion with plus 1 die if roll fails hafe caste must soak 20L or die natural soak only soak added by charms count, either way add targets perment essenece to total successes, it the target survies failer they may never be targeted by this spell again.

SCS

Cost  50 motes

Target mortal with breeding may reroll their Exaltaion roll with plus 2 dice, if roll fails the mortal may never be targeted bu this spell again by the caster, or taget hafe Caste T may reroll their Exaltaion with plus 4 dice, if roll fails taget may never be targeted by this spell by the same caster, add targets perment essenece to total successes.

I'm well aware that this may be a bit difficult to translate, if so anybody can rewrite it a bit more elequently please

ok  fair enough.

I didnt think their was any point in either of us talking on the matter at te time.

It seemed ready to turn into a flame war to me.

I see nothing wrong with an Essence 6 DB Charm being able to transform a mortal into a Terrestrial Half-Caste with an Inheritance equal to the (Exalt's Essence/2) or to give a Terrestrial Half-Caste a second chance to Exalt.  Spirit Charms are, on average, about the same power as Terrestrial Charms of the same Essence (generally Terrestrial Charms require one dot higher permenant Essence for a similiar effect).  The Charm would just be the DB equivalent of Endowment (Permenant Essence) with a restriction that it only works on 'normal' Mortals or Terrestrial Half-Caste.

As for angering the Celestial Hierarchy, why would it do that?  There are hundreds of DBs born in Creation every year, why would a few more be that much of a factor?  As for violating Fate, why would it matter?  The Fate of one mortal, even if they eventually become a DB, is of little consequence.

I don't think that anyone should be able to make a mortal into an Exalt in one step, just like no one can make a mortal into a God, Elemental or Demon in one step.  The Charm I'm suggesting is similar enough to the Endowment (Permenant Essence) Spirit Charm to be balanced.  Through it, an elder DB could adopt a gifted mortal and train them correctly before attempting to Exalt them.  And it gets rid of the stupid ritual with a difficulty of twelve, minus the modifiers.  It is simpler and more effective, without disturbing game balance.

I agree with Jakk, except that I don't think that this should even be a Sorcery Spell.  Exaltation has been specifically delegated to the gods.  The HIGH gods, in fact.  The Unconquered Sun, Luna, the Five Maidens, the Five Elemental Dragons... not their kiddies.  That's just the way I see it.

Also, Jakk... get real!  The Necronomicon is so a Necromancy version of the Mantle of Brigid and the Book of Three Circles combined into one!

Seiraryu Dragon Blooded exaltaion is a product of Genics Lytec only chooses the Time a Dragon Blooded exalts not if or if not and sorcery appears to be of the Primordails so why not allow sorrcery to do it increase the cost of my spells if you want and argu it I might change them in my game too

It's not solely a matter of genes, Midget.  It can't be, not within the metaphysical context that the world of Exalted moves in.  Exalted are "heroes."  Bigger and more than mortals.  That's simply the way it goes.  Doesn't matter if both your parents are Breeding 5... if you're not Exalted material, you ain't Exalting.

Right that but if you don't exalt you will become a hafe caste anyway if there essence is high enough once you reach essence of 4 you reroll your exaltaion with a bonus so why can't sorcery help it along, my spell do require the target to have breeding after all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back